PDA

View Full Version : Pat Williams wants to retire a Viking & 4 more years

singersp
03-29-2007, 05:21 AM
Vikings have many plans in the making (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/1086481.html)

In a wide-ranging interview, Vikings coach Brad Childress named a middle linebacker, praised a defensive tackle and intended to rest a battered running back, among other things.

By Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
Last update: March 28, 2007 – 10:27 PM

Henderson will play directly behind Williams, who at age 34 earned his first Pro Bowl berth in 2006. Williams is entering the final season of a three-year, $13 million deal, and Childress said he recently spoke with Williams about an extension.

"He wants to be here," Childress said. "He'd like to retire here. With a year to go, we're going to see if we can work with his number and see if it's favorable to him and favorable to us. Quite possibly, it's not his last year here.

"Pat Williams is a guy I'd like to have on my team for a lot of reasons. A, he's a good football player. B, because he's a good person. C, he's a good locker room guy."

Childress acknowledged he did not always share that sentiment.

"When we first got there," Childress said, "I don't know that we thought Pat Williams had a great future. There was a huge buy-in factor. He really elevated his game from the standpoint of hustle and movement."

PurpleTide
03-29-2007, 07:30 AM
What a shame Erasumus probably won't be ready to contribute early this year, that leaves our pass rush less than effective. I wonder if this changes our draft strategy.
I think E.J. going back to the middle is good, with Leber, and Greenway on the outside sounds like a good LB core. Giving C.T. about 100 less reps this year should help keep him strong into December. Good Article.

Zeus
03-29-2007, 07:54 AM
"PurpleTide" wrote:

What a shame Erasumus probably won't be ready to contribute early this year, that leaves our pass rush less than effective. I wonder if this changes our draft strategy.
I think E.J. going back to the middle is good, with Leber, and Greenway on the outside sounds like a good LB core. Giving C.T. about 100 less reps this year should help keep him strong into December. Good Article.

Re:
Erasmus - I like that they aren't counting on him to come right back like many here are.
That allows the Vikings to prepare Ray Edwards or Jayme Mitchell (or even Darrion Scott) as if they were the starter from the get-go.

Re:
EJ - I also like this and am on record in PPO as saying as much.
Yes, he struggled mightily in his first go-around as starting MLB - but that was only his 2nd season, it was in Ted Cottrell's defense and he definitely has the pedigree to play the position.

Re:
Chester - also a good move to keep him fresh for December games.

I hope PPO-ers and other fans are appreciative of The Big Chill coming forward with these observations.
So much whining and complaining in the past year about TBC not talking, and now, in the past week, he's been on PA & Dubay, did an in-depth interview with Mark Rosen and now gives on to the STrib.

You go, Brad!

=Z=

NodakPaul
03-29-2007, 08:25 AM
I can't believe nobody has picked on up this yet:

Another changeup will occur during minicamp practices, where Childress will have offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell work on the mechanics of calling plays.

whackthepack
03-29-2007, 08:27 AM
The article said not counting on Erasmus being an early contributor.

That doesn't rule him out either he could be the starter from day 1 of training camp, or he might not be.

Zeus
03-29-2007, 08:34 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

I can't believe nobody has picked on up this yet:

Another changeup will occur during minicamp practices, where Childress will have offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell work on the mechanics of calling plays.

There's a different thread on that, I believe.

=Z=

singersp
03-29-2007, 07:06 PM
Williams to End Career with Vikings? (http://vikings.scout.com/2/630948.html)

By Viking Update Staff

Posted Mar 29, 2007

davike
03-29-2007, 08:24 PM
He is making changes....he went through his first year and tested the waters of head coaching. Now he has some experience and isn't going
be stubborn and bone headed, he learned from his mistakes and experience and he is making changes. This should help prove that he isn't as stupidly stuborn as some make him out to be. I expect he will probably make more changes yet this season.

singersp
03-30-2007, 06:07 AM
Williams wants four more years (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_5552481)

Tackle says he hopes to retire a Viking

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press
Article Last Updated: 03/30/2007 12:17:02 AM CDT

With one year remaining on his current contract, veteran defensive tackle Pat Williams hopes to land a long-term extension with the Vikings before training camp.

MetalMike-LoudVike
03-30-2007, 08:24 AM
He sounds like a politician "4 More Years" I woudl vote em him to stay a Viking the dude wants to retire a Viking grant him that wish.
MMLV

Mr. Purple
03-30-2007, 08:36 AM
I love Pat, like the article said, hes a great locker room presense.Hes really opened my eyes up the past couple seasons.The guy is playing as good as ever in a totally differnt system.The guy is a ideal 3-4 DT.However hes playing solid in a 4-3, cover 2.Granted hes not as fast, and is really only a used in run support.Hes a monster when it comes to that tho.I could see us taking a DT in the draft early due to Pat's stamina.Ross K. is a decent DT, but more effective in run support like Pat.If we had someone who was a reflection of Kevin Williams next to Kevin Williams, we'd be set.

Purplexing
03-30-2007, 08:46 AM
"davike" wrote:

He is making changes....he went through his first year and tested the waters of head coaching. Now he has some experience and isn't going
be stubborn and bone headed, he learned from his mistakes and experience and he is making changes. This should help prove that he isn't as stupidly stuborn as some make him out to be. I expect he will probably make more changes yet this season.

I'll assume you are referring to Childress in this rant.

Why did EJHenderson sign a contract extension, mid-year, when he knew he would be playing for a bone-headed, stubborn coach?

ditto K.Williams
ditto McKinney
ditto Dugan

after the 2006 season;

ditto T.Williams
ditto Wade
ditto Shiancoe
ditto Ciuriu
etc.

Are you implying the above players are knuckleheads to re-sign with the Vikings, knowing they'd have to play at least one more season under a bonehead, stubborn head coach?
??? If so, WOW!
:o
I'm rooting for a team of knuckleheads!

:-[

Here's a possible explanation:

stubborn = determined
boneheaded = unable, unwilling to explain his plan to the public, to maintain secrecy, unlike Tice
lousy first year = year one of 3+ year rebuilding for a long term competitive team

Back to the thread topic....

Are Pat Williams, Matt Birk, D.Scott, etc. boneheads to want to play for the Vikings for several more years, knowing Zygi Wilf recently said he supports his head coach, and that he (Childress) won't be fired anytime soon... ?

NodakPaul
03-30-2007, 08:58 AM
"Purplexing" wrote:

"davike" wrote:

I'll assume you are referring to Childress in this rant....

??? You lost me there. I didn't think that was a rant at all.
Sounds to me like davike is saying that Childress isn't as stubborn or boneheaded as some people make him out to be.
I agree.
And I think that Childress will continue to learn and get better as time goes on too.

Purplexing
03-30-2007, 09:02 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"Purplexing" wrote:

"davike" wrote:

I'll assume you are referring to Childress in this rant....

??? You lost me there. I didn't think that was a rant at all.
Sounds to me like davike is saying that Childress isn't as stubborn or boneheaded as some people make him out to be.
I agree.
And I think that Childress will continue to learn and get better as time goes on too.

Ooops!
I should have said this 'rant portion of your post'.

I read it as 'he was a bonehead, but he has learned in 2006, and is coming around in his way of thinking'.

Let me re-read it, carefully....

Purplexing
03-30-2007, 09:07 AM
This part implies Davike thought Childress WAS stubborn, but learned, etc.

'....he has some experience and isn't going
be stubborn and bone headed, he learned from his mistakes and experience and he is making changes.
...'

I was referring to that part in my reply...

I never thought Childress was a bonehead, or stubborn.
I agree he made mistakes, but Davikes' choice of the adjectives 'bone-headed' and 'stubborn' is just hyperbole.

whackthepack
03-30-2007, 11:01 AM
"Mr." wrote:

I love Pat, like the article said, hes a great locker room presense.Hes really opened my eyes up the past couple seasons.The guy is playing as good as ever in a totally differnt system.The guy is a ideal 3-4 DT.However hes playing solid in a 4-3, cover 2.Granted hes not as fast, and is really only a used in run support.Hes a monster when it comes to that tho.I could see us taking a DT in the draft early due to Pat's stamina.
Ross K. is a decent DT, but more effective in run support like Pat.If we had someone who was a reflection of Kevin Williams next to Kevin Williams, we'd be set.

Mr. Purple I don't know if Ross Kolodziej is coming back next year I know that the coaching staff were not really thrilled with his play and he is a free agent.

FreakinVikingsBaby
03-30-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm all for signing him to an extension, but I don't think he is and definitely won't be later on worth what we're paying him. For his money, he should be able to do more than just stop the run.

davike
03-30-2007, 11:37 AM
"Purplexing" wrote:

"davike" wrote:

Why did EJHenderson sign a contract extension, mid-year, when he knew he would be playing for a bone-headed, stubborn coach?

ditto K.Williams
ditto McKinney
ditto Dugan

after the 2006 season;

ditto T.Williams
ditto Wade
ditto Shiancoe
ditto Ciuriu
etc.

Are you implying the above players are knuckleheads to re-sign with the Vikings, knowing they'd have to play at least one more season under a bonehead, stubborn head coach?

??? If so, WOW!

stubborn = determined
boneheaded = unable, unwilling to explain his plan to the public, to maintain secrecy, unlike Tice
lousy first year = year one of 3+ year rebuilding for a long term competitive team

Are Pat Williams, Matt Birk, D.Scott, etc. boneheads to want to play for the Vikings for several more years, knowing Zygi Wilf recently said he supports his head coach, and that he (Childress) won't be fired anytime soon... ?

Umm man, read posts twice over before replying. If you read my "Don't give up on Childress" thread at all then you will realize that I am not a Childress hater. I never said that he is or was boneheaded or stubborn. He is maybe stubborn but that isn't a bad thing in some situations, unless he is one of the "we are going to do it my way whether I am right or wrong" type a guy, but I think he is proving that he is not. All I was saying is that he learned and is learning and is making changes from what he learned and proving some people wrong about him. I don't know where you came up with all that..... Nodak understood what I was saying just fine.

cajunvike
03-30-2007, 12:03 PM
Louisiana homeboy in da heazey!!!
Sign up Phat Pat and lock down the middle for the next couple of years for sure!!!
Then draft a big young DT for Pat to help groom until he retires!

Purplexing
03-30-2007, 12:03 PM
"davike" wrote:

"Purplexing" wrote:

"davike" wrote:

ditto K.Williams
ditto McKinney
ditto Dugan

after the 2006 season;

ditto T.Williams
ditto Wade
ditto Shiancoe
ditto Ciuriu
etc.

??? If so, WOW!

stubborn = determined

Umm man, read posts twice over before replying. If you read my "Don't give up on Childress" thread at all then you will realize that I am not a Childress hater. I never said that he is or was boneheaded or stubborn. He is maybe stubborn but that isn't a bad thing in some situations, unless he is one of the "we are going to do it my way whether I am right or wrong" type a guy, but I think he is proving that he is not. All I was saying is that he learned and is learning and is making changes from what he learned and proving some people wrong about him. I don't know where you came up with all that..... Nodak understood what I was saying just fine.

Umm man, I read your post twice.

here is an extract, which I also posted above...

This part implies Davike thought Childress WAS stubborn, but learned, etc.

'....he has some experience and isn't going
be stubborn and bone headed, he learned from his mistakes and experience and he is making changes.
...'

I was referring to that part in my reply...

It implies you thought Childress was boneheaded, etc. because you said 'learned from his mistakes', which preceeds '.... isn't going
be stubborn and bone headed, ...'

How should anyone interpret that differently ?

'isn't going
be' - projection of the future
'learned from his mistakes' - refers to the past

BadlandsVikings
03-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Sign him up, but help him cut his weight a little bit.

WinonaVike
03-30-2007, 12:28 PM
I really hope we go ahead and keep him on for the rest of his career. Despite a dismal season i wont forget the arm bar he gave to that Jets running back in the dome this year, it was my frist game after coming back from basic training and ait and that was one of the highlights of that game.

olson_10
03-30-2007, 12:32 PM
"WinonaVike" wrote:

I really hope we go ahead and keep him on for the rest of his career. Despite a dismal season i wont forget the arm bar he gave to that Jets running back in the dome this year, it was my frist game after coming back from basic training and ait and that was one of the highlights of that game.

dismal season? going to the pro-bowl is dismal? he was the #1 reason why our defense was so great at stopping the run

lakehubertviking
03-30-2007, 01:43 PM
6-10 is dismal.

Benficaviking
03-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Best run defense is not dismal

Zeus
03-30-2007, 02:27 PM
"Benficaviking" wrote:

Best run defense is not dismal

It is when combined with the 32nd-ranked pass defense.
Teams like New England didn't even bother to try and run on the Vikings.
I don't believe that's because they didn't think they couldn't run, but that they definitely believed they could pass all night long.

=Z=

whackthepack
03-30-2007, 03:20 PM
"lakehubertviking" wrote:

6-10 is dismal.

That is all Pat Williams fault?

Pat was responsible for Brad Johnson's arm going to sh*t?

He was responsible for Troy Williamson dropping passes left, right, over the top and underneath?

He was responsible for Koren Robinson getting drunk and driving a 100 miles and hour and getting thrown in jail?

He was responsible for poor play calling?

Maybe you put a little to much burden on him!

He was responsible for not getting enough pressure up the middle sometimes on passing downs but if the ends would have helped at all it might of been better if the opposing QB had to step up into the pocket he might have had a few more sacks.

FuadFan
03-30-2007, 03:28 PM
I was thinking we may lock him up for 2 or 3 years but 4? I would not have expected him to want to play that long. Del Rio would probably be on here going nuts if we end up locking him for that long but I hope we get something done to keep him around.

whackthepack
03-30-2007, 03:57 PM
"FuadFan" wrote:

I was thinking we may lock him up for 2 or 3 years but 4? I would not have expected him to want to play that long. Del Rio would probably be on here going nuts if we end up locking him for that long but I hope we get something done to keep him around.

The guaranteed money would be in the 1st 2 years of the contract, the last 2 would be just salary so if the Vikes didn't want him after 2 years it wouldn't cost them anything.

lakehubertviking
03-30-2007, 06:22 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

6-10 is dismal.

He was responsible for Troy Williamson dropping passes left, right, over the top and underneath?

He was responsible for Koren Robinson getting drunk and driving a 100 miles and hour and getting thrown in jail?

Maybe you put a little to much burden on him!

He was responsible for not getting enough pressure up the middle sometimes on passing downs but if the ends would have helped at all it might of been better if the opposing QB had to step up into the pocket he might have had a few more sacks.

Easy buddy, like most Viking Fans I love Phat Pat.
I was just trying to clarify to Olson10 that Winona Vike was saying despite a DISMAL SEASON, Pat's play was a highlight that made for good memories. :)

singersp
03-30-2007, 06:27 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

6-10 is dismal.

No, most here will blame Fred Smoot for those.