PDA

View Full Version : Your middle linebacker is …



Property0f
03-28-2007, 06:21 PM
"… E.J. Henderson.

Vikings coach Brad Childress said this morning that Henderson will get the first crack at replacing the departed Napoleon Harris."

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/

snowinapril
03-28-2007, 07:16 PM
Off topic butt.. nice article on that link.


As for the Vikings receivers, Jackson expressed confidence in a group that doesn’t have a clear-cut No. 1 guy. “I love my receivers,” he said. “Almost a year now we’ve been working together. I work with those guys every day to see what they can do. … Besides [Bobby Wade and Billy McMullen] we don’t have a lot of experience out there. That’s the main point. But as far as talent and ability goes, I’m very confident in those guys.”

Confidence in himself - good!

Confidence in his WRs - good!

Back on topic....

Henderson deserves the chance.

snowinapril
03-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Got to cover the pass better in this D than he did in Teddy's D

Hopefully he fits this system better or this system fits him better.

ejmat
03-28-2007, 07:29 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:


Off topic butt.. nice article on that link.


As for the Vikings receivers, Jackson expressed confidence in a group that doesn’t have a clear-cut No. 1 guy. “I love my receivers,” he said. “Almost a year now we’ve been working together. I work with those guys every day to see what they can do. … Besides [Bobby Wade and Billy McMullen] we don’t have a lot of experience out there. That’s the main point. But as far as talent and ability goes, I’m very confident in those guys.”

Confidence in himself - good!

Confidence in his WRs - good!

Back on topic....

Henderson deserves the chance.






I guess he should get the shot since he has experience.
He may not have looked good there a couple of years ago but he has earned the chance.
D Thomas doesn't get my vote yet.

Purplexing
03-28-2007, 08:13 PM
IMO, the best aproach to MLB:

EJHenderson on any down where it isn't obvious that the opponent is going to pass.

Greenway on passing downs, and very likely on 1st or 2nd-and-very-long.

Greenway was noted for his good pass defense skills, and seemed to do well at that in pre-season last year.

Property0f
03-28-2007, 08:21 PM
"Purplexing" wrote:


IMO, the best aproach to MLB:

EJHenderson on any down where it isn't obvious that the opponent is going to pass.

Greenway on passing downs, and very likely on 1st or 2nd-and-very-long.

Greenway was noted for his good pass defense skills, and seemed to do well at that in pre-season last year.



I have a feeling Greenway will end up in the middle by the end of the season. He seems like he has the ability and body type to play that position. He's tall enough and im sure he could play fast enough, faster than Harris atleast.

PacMan21
03-28-2007, 09:05 PM
"Property0f" wrote:


"Purplexing" wrote:


IMO, the best aproach to MLB:

EJHenderson on any down where it isn't obvious that the opponent is going to pass.

Greenway on passing downs, and very likely on 1st or 2nd-and-very-long.

Greenway was noted for his good pass defense skills, and seemed to do well at that in pre-season last year.



I have a feeling Greenway will end up in the middle by the end of the season. He seems like he has the ability and body type to play that position. He's tall enough and im sure he could play fast enough, faster than Harris atleast.


When I see Chad Greenway, I see a younger version of Donnie Edwards.

But that's just me...

ejmat
03-28-2007, 09:32 PM
"Purplexing" wrote:


IMO, the best aproach to MLB:

EJHenderson on any down where it isn't obvious that the opponent is going to pass.

Greenway on passing downs, and very likely on 1st or 2nd-and-very-long.

Greenway was noted for his good pass defense skills, and seemed to do well at that in pre-season last year.


I like Greenway there too but I don't get the part where he did well in preseason.
I don't think he played there during preseason last year as he was hurt before he had the chance.
Are you talking about mini camps?

PurplePackerEater
03-28-2007, 09:37 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:


Off topic butt.. nice article on that link.


As for the Vikings receivers, Jackson expressed confidence in a group that doesn’t have a clear-cut No. 1 guy. “I love my receivers,” he said. “Almost a year now we’ve been working together. I work with those guys every day to see what they can do. … Besides [Bobby Wade and Billy McMullen] we don’t have a lot of experience out there. That’s the main point. But as far as talent and ability goes, I’m very confident in those guys.”

Confidence in himself - good!

Confidence in his WRs - good!

Back on topic....

Henderson deserves the chance.






He certainly sounds confident that the starting job is HIS.

Billy Boy
03-28-2007, 09:50 PM
"Purplexing" wrote:


IMO, the best aproach to MLB:

EJHenderson on any down where it isn't obvious that the opponent is going to pass.

Greenway on passing downs, and very likely on 1st or 2nd-and-very-long.

Greenway was noted for his good pass defense skills, and seemed to do well at that in pre-season last year.



If EJ performs better at weak (like the article says) then if we can get him there we should.
Might as well see what Greenway is capable of at Middle.
Hopefully he can come into his own in the NFL fast enough.
This scenario makes sense to me.

patistheman
03-28-2007, 10:06 PM
"ejmat" wrote:


"snowinapril" wrote:


Off topic butt.. nice article on that link.


As for the Vikings receivers, Jackson expressed confidence in a group that doesn’t have a clear-cut No. 1 guy. “I love my receivers,” he said. “Almost a year now we’ve been working together. I work with those guys every day to see what they can do. … Besides [Bobby Wade and Billy McMullen] we don’t have a lot of experience out there. That’s the main point. But as far as talent and ability goes, I’m very confident in those guys.”

Confidence in himself - good!

Confidence in his WRs - good!

Back on topic....

Henderson deserves the chance.






I guess he should get the shot since he has experience.
He may not have looked good there a couple of years ago but he has earned the chance.
D Thomas doesn't get my vote yet.


Im not neccesarily saying that Thomas should get the nod there, but I think he should be given a look.
I believe he is the fastest of the LBs and speed at MLB in the cover-2 is important.
I remember there being alot of hype about his strength and speed, maybe he could showcase that there in the cover-2.
However his awareness and performance would have to earn the spot for him, but I believe he definatly needs to be considered.

Ddawg84
03-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Go E.J. He is my favorite viking... I loved the guy in college and was pumped the second we drafted him.
He really played great last year and I think when he moves back to his original position this time around we will see a Middle Linebacker ready to lead his defense.
I wish him the best of luck and i think it really sheds a lot of light on why they signed him to a contract extension.
I think they had every intentions of moving him back to his original position once Greenway was healthy.

marcosMN
03-28-2007, 11:02 PM
I think this is terrible.

Why would we move him from the position he had a breakout season and earned a contract extension playing?

It really doesn't make sense to me. He struggled terribly at MLB before, and found his groove at OLB. He should put/kept in a position to excel.

tb04512
03-28-2007, 11:10 PM
i think this is unwise.. remember last time he was in the middle.. hopefully he can adjsut in the new system. I've always liked Thomas.. i hope he can get a shot at it once in a while

cajunvike
03-29-2007, 12:00 AM
I am really hoping that he succeeds the second time around...and that we have a backup plan if he can't adjust.
I know that he is a good LB...but he may have found his niche last season...and I don't want to see the Vikes F up a good thing!

Zeus
03-29-2007, 08:06 AM
"Property0f" wrote:


I have a feeling Greenway will end up in the middle by the end of the season. He seems like he has the ability and body type to play that position. He's tall enough and im sure he could play fast enough, faster than Harris atleast.


Greenway hasn't played one second of MLB in his entire football career.
He played about 10 seconds of football at the pro level before being hurt.

What possible indications did you pick up in those 10 seconds of kick-off coverage which told you he could play MLB even though he has no experience at it?

=Z=

Zeus
03-29-2007, 08:12 AM
"PacMan21" wrote:


When I see Chad Greenway, I see a younger version of Donnie Edwards.

But that's just me...


Yeah - wow - those 10 seconds on kick-off coverage in pre-season sure showed folks a lot more than it showed me.

Anyone got those 10 seconds on tape who can make me a copy?
I need to go through it frame-by-frame, because I'm obviously missing something....

=z=

Del Rio
03-29-2007, 08:17 AM
EJ Henderson is probably the best athlete on our LB core and from what we have seen in the past the worst leader.

He needs to up his game if we want this to work.

If this was Tomlins defense I would say no way in hell this works. Now that we have a new man in charge and hopefully our MLB wont be seen running down the field one on one with the Bills #1 Wr all game long.......I am going to utilize optimism on this one.

If there was one guy that seems to have the mental aspects of the MLB down it seems to be Leber I am not sure he has the speed needed, but in a zone, speed really isn't as important as smarts and dicipline.

Hard to say, sounds like they have their mind made up and I can't cry about having Leber Greenway and Henderson on the field together.

PacMan21
03-29-2007, 09:57 AM
"Zeus" wrote:


"PacMan21" wrote:


When I see Chad Greenway, I see a younger version of Donnie Edwards.

But that's just me...


Yeah - wow - those 10 seconds on kick-off coverage in pre-season sure showed folks a lot more than it showed me.

Anyone got those 10 seconds on tape who can make me a copy?
I need to go through it frame-by-frame, because I'm obviously missing something....

=z=


From what I saw in college and at Training Camp, he reminded me of a young Donnie Edwards.

ejmat
03-29-2007, 10:39 AM
I'm not saying DThomas doesn't deserve to be looked at.
He played backup last year.
However, he doesn't (IMO) have the leadership ability or knowledge of the game yet to play there. He's been on the team 3 or 4 years now and really hasn't shown improvement yet.

MaxVike
03-29-2007, 11:12 AM
This is far from terrible.
In fact, this is the by far the best way to enter the draft and training camp.
Greenway will need to win the job in training camp, so, I would calm down about his "appointment."
Henderson has progressed quite a bit on the field and appears ready to be the MLB we thought he would be.
Leber is solid too.
In this defense, 5 LB's will play a whole heckuva lot, so, DT will have his opportunity in training camp, and on the field...just like he has since he got here.

PurpleCanuck
03-29-2007, 11:22 AM
i think that for the short term we should use ej at the middle, but phase in greenway.
i know that we drafted him weakside, but this is a second year rookie we are looking at here.
i think that from his talks to the press he has the attidude of a leader, though he hasn't had the chance to show that yet.
i think that with his build and ability he would be a great middle linebacker and then we can move ej to a position where it seems he was better suited for.

but i'm sure there is something that we aren't seeing that chilly is, i support any moves he makes

Ddawg84
03-29-2007, 11:57 AM
"Del" wrote:


EJ Henderson is probably the best athlete on our LB core and from what we have seen in the past the worst leader.

He needs to up his game if we want this to work.

If this was Tomlins defense I would say no way in hell this works. Now that we have a new man in charge and hopefully our MLB wont be seen running down the field one on one with the Bills #1 Wr all game long.......I am going to utilize optimism on this one.

If there was one guy that seems to have the mental aspects of the MLB down it seems to be Leber I am not sure he has the speed needed, but in a zone, speed really isn't as important as smarts and dicipline.

Hard to say, sounds like they have their mind made up and I can't cry about having Leber Greenway and Henderson on the field together.




I think if there is one thing that will hold EJ back from exceling at the MLB position is that he seems like a really quiet person and really bottles in emotion.
He needs to be more assertive and take control of his defense through lots of communication.
The one thing he does have on his side in that aspect is that he is surrounded by a vocal veteran in the secondary in Sharper, and a vocal leader upfront in Phat Pat.
But I think that is the ultimate reason he was moved from the middle to begin with. However, I definately feel over the past few season he has a lot more confidence to play at this level regardless of what position he may be at.
I think the coaches will have EJ ready and he will take the position and run with it.
Like he said... he is not suprised by the move, he saw it coming as soon as Napo was not resigned.
Go EJ!!!!!!!

Del Rio
03-29-2007, 12:27 PM
"Ddawg84" wrote:


"Del" wrote:


EJ Henderson is probably the best athlete on our LB core and from what we have seen in the past the worst leader.

He needs to up his game if we want this to work.

If this was Tomlins defense I would say no way in hell this works. Now that we have a new man in charge and hopefully our MLB wont be seen running down the field one on one with the Bills #1 Wr all game long.......I am going to utilize optimism on this one.

If there was one guy that seems to have the mental aspects of the MLB down it seems to be Leber I am not sure he has the speed needed, but in a zone, speed really isn't as important as smarts and dicipline.

Hard to say, sounds like they have their mind made up and I can't cry about having Leber Greenway and Henderson on the field together.




I think if there is one thing that will hold EJ back from exceling at the MLB position is that he seems like a really quiet person and really bottles in emotion.
He needs to be more assertive and take control of his defense through lots of communication.
The one thing he does have on his side in that aspect is that he is surrounded by a vocal veteran in the secondary in Sharper, and a vocal leader upfront in Phat Pat.
But I think that is the ultimate reason he was moved from the middle to begin with. However, I definately feel over the past few season he has a lot more confidence to play at this level regardless of what position he may be at.
I think the coaches will have EJ ready and he will take the position and run with it.
Like he said... he is not suprised by the move, he saw it coming as soon as Napo was not resigned.

Go EJ!!!!!!!


He has earned the right to be vocal he is a Vikings vet, I hope he steps that part of his game up.

ItalianStallion
03-29-2007, 12:51 PM
"PurpleCanuck" wrote:


i think that for the short term we should use ej at the middle, but phase in greenway.
i know that we drafted him weakside, but this is a second year rookie we are looking at here.
i think that from his talks to the press he has the attidude of a leader, though he hasn't had the chance to show that yet.
i think that with his build and ability he would be a great middle linebacker and then we can move ej to a position where it seems he was better suited for.

but i'm sure there is something that we aren't seeing that chilly is, i support any moves he makes


I don't think Greenway is strong enough or good enough at shedding blocks to play MLB.
He is better in coverage and at trailing a play.
At least that was his story coming out of college.