PDA

View Full Version : 1998

purpl34life
03-13-2007, 12:39 AM
Ok, since my 1st post was a big hit, I will try another.
As you could tell, I like Mike Tice’s style of coaching.
He isn’t a going to win any elections, he just an old school football coach.
He is actually a likeable guy but enough of that.

I guess my knowledge of Viking football has been questioned.
I can talk Viking football all day long with you cats.
Let’s try this.

Let’s rehash the year they went 15-1, and lost the most heart breaking football game in Metrodome history.
Who does the average Viking fan blame?

1) I am sure Gary Anderson has to top the list
2) Dennis Green isn’t far behind
3) The defense that folded like a cheap suit after the miss

Me, I blame Robert Smith.
The game is basically over, maybe 4-5 minutes left.
The Vikings have allowed this inferior team to hang around all game.
Now they have the ball, maybe they can put them away.

They pass midfield and Dennis Green has decided to go into what I will call “choke mode”.
They are running left, Smith breaks off a decent run…. runs out of bounds.

They run right, another big gain…maybe 7 or 8 yards.
He runs out of bounds again…damn stop running out of bounds.
At this point who cares if you get injured…. again.
He does it one last time, around the 2 miniute and some change mark.

Its looking like Atlanta has started to give up, the writing is on the wall.
Not much time was left; Minnesota was controlling the line of scrimmage, running at will.

They get down the field and start screwing around with the ball.
The play calling gets disorganized and somehow Atlanta still has timeouts.

I won’t go into the rest but I think the kick would have been blocked anyway.
I remember Todd (false start) Stucie was fidgeting right before the kick and Anderson looked as if he was hesitating.

Anyway, could anyone but a true Viking fan remember that? Let’s hear you would like to blame.
Who helped choke that game.

Viking fans vote now.
1,2,3, or my favorite 4.
Add your own choice.

I truly think they would have destroyed Denver

DSHARP42
03-13-2007, 02:08 AM
I hafta go with Denny on this one, but not for anything you mentioned above^^.

Falcs go up 7-0, take a bit away from the crowd and the team, playing at home in the dome known for its loudness. But then the Vikes ripped off 20 straight points, making it 20-7.

The Vikes then had the ball with not much time (If I recall, around a minute or so) in the first half. Instead of running the clock out and going into half (and they also got the ball after the half) with a 20-7 lead and complete control, they decided to try to make something of it.

And then the play I will never EVER forget happened.

Chuck Smith stripped Cunningham in the pocket, the Falcs recovered at about the 15 or so, and scored right away. 20-14 at half now instead of 20-7, momentum gone.

I don't know about beating the Broncos in the SB, but it would've been a game. Broncos-Vikes was what everyone all year was expecting but didn't get.

Forget 12-7-41.....1-17-99 is the date that will truly live in infamy for all of us :(

purplepride818
03-13-2007, 03:06 AM
what about randy moss's wide open dropped pass in the endzone?

Prophet
03-13-2007, 06:25 AM
"purpl34life" wrote:

Ok, since my 1st post was a big hit, I will try another...

That was funny, man, I'm dying laughing here just with this line.
I like the '98 yr in hell too.
There were many flash in the pants fans that have come and gone since that year with the Vikes.
It was a fun year, but belongs in hell.

Vikes_King
03-13-2007, 07:58 AM
"purplepride818" wrote:

1998 Minnesota Vikings
G
GS Rec Yds
Avg
Lg TD 20+ 40+ 1st
16 11 69
1313 19.0 61 17 20 14 51

Think you can give the kid a break, considering it was his rookie year on one dropped pass in the biggest game of his first NFL season lol

BadlandsVikings
03-13-2007, 12:46 PM
http://www.me.umn.edu/~tang/denny.jpg

NodakPaul
03-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Wait until Zeus sees this thread.. I bet he'll blame Smoot. LOL ;D

I think there is no one person or play to blame, but a combination of many that led to that heartbreak.
As the HC, Denny Green ultimately has to take the responsibility.

WinonaVike
03-13-2007, 01:09 PM
"Vikes_King" wrote:

"purplepride818" wrote:

1998 Minnesota Vikings
G
GS Rec Yds

Avg
Lg TD 20+ 40+ 1st
16 11 69
1313 19.0 61 17 20 14 51

Think you can give the kid a break, considering it was his rookie year on one dropped pass in the biggest game of his first NFL season lol

Agreed. Without drafting Moss that year i am almost positive we would nto have gone 15-1, or even had the chance to be in that game....Dont blame Moss at all for that game.

Zeus
03-13-2007, 01:15 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

Wait until Zeus sees this thread.. I bet he'll blame Smoot. LOL ;D

I think there is no one person or play to blame, but a combination of many that led to that heartbreak.
As the HC, Denny Green ultimately has to take the responsibility.

Smoot wasn't on the roster, so he cannot be blamed

There is only ONE person to blame for the 1998 Championship Game and that is that fuckin' drunk Pat Summerall.

=Z=

cajunvike
03-13-2007, 01:21 PM
"DSHARP42" wrote:

Falcs go up 7-0, take a bit away from the crowd and the team, playing at home in the dome known for its loudness. But then the Vikes ripped off 20 straight points, making it 20-7.

The Vikes then had the ball with not much time (If I recall, around a minute or so) in the first half. Instead of running the clock out and going into half (and they also got the ball after the half) with a 20-7 lead and complete control, they decided to try to make something of it.

Chuck Smith stripped Cunningham in the pocket, the Falcs recovered at about the 15 or so, and scored right away. 20-14 at half now instead of 20-7, momentum gone.

I don't know about beating the Broncos in the SB, but it would've been a game. Broncos-Vikes was what everyone all year was expecting but didn't get.

Forget 12-7-41.....1-17-99 is the date that will truly live in infamy for all of us :(

The "experts" agreed that we would have beaten Denver...pretty easily by their accounts!
>:(

NordicNed
03-13-2007, 01:30 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"DSHARP42" wrote:

The "experts" agreed that we would have beaten Denver...pretty easily by their accounts!

Thats the reason right there Cajun, we would have beat Denver......The Trophy Curse just struck us the game before the big one......Because even the Trophy realized we would conquer Denver.........God I hate thinking about that year....

BadlandsVikings
03-13-2007, 01:44 PM
"NordicNed" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"DSHARP42" wrote:

Thats the reason right there Cajun, we would have beat Denver......The Trophy Curse just struck us the game before the big one......Because even the Trophy realized we would conquer Denver.........God I hate thinking about that year....

too bad it's not a just a bad dream :'(
http://www.cnnsi.com/football/nfl/1998/playoffs/news/1999/01/17/vikings_anderson/t1_anderson_ap_01.jpg

Ltrey33
03-13-2007, 01:56 PM
I blame Denny for not taking a knee with 30-someodd seconds left in the 2nd quarter. We were up by more than 2 touchdowns at that point and a deficit that large would have been impossible for the Falcons to overcome.

Instead, Denny acts like he's playing Madden and tries to score. Cunningham fumbles the ball away, the Falcons score two plays later and there's a HUGE shift in the score and in momentum.

If Denny orders the offense to take a knee there, we may have a Super Bowl trophy right now.

Marrdro
03-13-2007, 01:59 PM
"NordicNed" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"DSHARP42" wrote:

Excuse me guys, but my mind is like a rusted steel trap sometimes.

Seems to me between the Arizona game and this one he had some key injuries to key players (Ed - torn tricep/Offensive Linemen/Jake Reed Back/Secondary) or something like that.

olson_10
03-13-2007, 02:03 PM
can we pleeeeeeeeeeease not talk about this..i WAS having a good day

Prophet
03-13-2007, 02:04 PM
"olson_10" wrote:

This is in the hell forum, what do you expect?

BadlandsVikings
03-13-2007, 02:06 PM
"Ltrey" wrote:

I blame Denny for not taking a knee with 30-someodd seconds left in the 2nd quarter. We were up by more than 2 touchdowns at that point and a deficit that large would have been impossible for the Falcons to overcome.

Instead, Denny acts like he's playing Madden and tries to score. Cunningham fumbles the ball away, the Falcons score two plays later and there's a HUGE shift in the score and in momentum.

If Denny orders the offense to take a knee there, we may have a Super Bowl trophy right now.

Instead the fat dumbass kneels down with 30 ticks left in the 4th and didn't try to score

olson_10
03-13-2007, 02:07 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

This is in the hell forum, what do you expect?

i was just joking lol..hell forum is certainly a fitting name for this

ejmat
03-13-2007, 02:24 PM
"DSHARP42" wrote:

I have to agree with blaming Denny Green.
Even after that fumble we had the lead and the ball on the 40 yard line with 41 seconds left.
Denny decides to kneel on the next play.
We have Moss, Carter and Reed and Cunningham at QB.
Try to score again.

Then the entire second half was played not to lose.
They didn't call plays to win, they called it conservatively.
How do you go 17 1/2 games playing to kill then because of one fumble start playing conservatively?
Makes no sense.

I wouldn't blame Anderson or Smith.
Smith was playing tired and injured and still ran effectively.
He drove them down field to kick the winning FG.
It just so happened Anderson missed.
We all know kicking FGs isn't exactly easy.
He's prt of the reason we were where we were.
Neither of them had anything to do with a botched coverage that helped the Falcons get into FG position in OT.

Mr Anderson
03-13-2007, 02:45 PM
"BadlandsViking" wrote:

"Ltrey" wrote:

Instead the fat dumbass kneels down with 30 ticks left in the 4th and didn't try to score

That's what cost us the game. We easily had enough time to try to throw it deep 4 times. And 4 shots deep to Moss would probably result in a touchdown. Even one of the nice little WR screens, or curl routes we had him run, that he could take up the sideline, or literally run through the entire defense untouched, like he did against Dallas, the Saints and the Titans in this video at 3:50.

purpl34life
03-14-2007, 07:04 PM
I am in ppo hell for ever? One bad post when I was "under the weather".
Is there no mercey?

I am still a Viking fan! Oh yeah, I still want Brett Favre to retire. . . . . Joe Theismann style.

VKG4LFE
03-14-2007, 07:52 PM
I have to go a different angle on this one guys. I blamed Robert Griffith in that game. In the 4th quarter he had not one, but TWO chances to intercept the ball and he dropped both the balls. A pick would've iced the game, he didn't and we lost!

purpl34life
03-14-2007, 08:13 PM
I would love to watch that game again.
Just to analyze the play by play.
I was so upset over that loss.
My son was actualy crying.

Does anyone have that on DVD? I will pay for the shipping. . . . whatever.
Was Tice a coach on that team, I know he coached the o-line for a year or so.

VKG4LFE
03-14-2007, 08:15 PM
I have it on DVD. Don't have a DVD<->DVD burner though. I have a DVD<->VHS burner