PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Question

Purplexing
03-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Which FORMER Viking player from the PAST, who is CURRENTLY RETIRED, would you choose to transport to the year 2007, via a time machine which will preserve him in his prime athletic condition during his playing days, to play on the CURRENT Vikings team?

Please note that the capitalized letters above indicate that players such as Randy Moss, Daunte Culpepper and Patrick Up-Chukwurah
::) do not qualify as valid replies to the question.

I'll start.

Alan Page, playing DE on 1st down, and 'obvious run downs', and replacing Pat Williams as a DT on obvious passing downs.

He would dominate as a DE, and as a pass rushing DT in passing situations.

Replies must be limited to ONE player in your FIRST reply to this thread.

IF this thread reaches 3 or more pages, a SECOND player could be named as an alternative.

If you name 6-10 of the all-time best Vikings as 'time transport Vikings who could help now', you are essentially turning the thread into a 'best all-time Viking players' thread.
We've all seen those threads in the past.

OK, please follow the rules, and have fun with this hypothetical question.....

marcosMN
03-12-2007, 06:23 PM
John Randle.

'Nuff said.

8)

EDIT: This really isn't a hypothetical if we are to respond to it....

BadlandsVikings
03-12-2007, 06:28 PM
"Purplexing" wrote:

Which FORMER Viking player from the PAST, who is CURRENTLY RETIRED, would you choose to transport to the year 2007, via a time machine which will preserve him in his prime athletic condition during his playing days, to play on the CURRENT Vikings team?

Please note that the capitalized letters above indicate that players such as Randy Moss, Daunte Culpepper and Patrick Up-Chukwurah

I'll start.

Alan Page, playing DE on 1st down, and 'obvious run downs', and replacing Pat Williams as a DT on obvious passing downs.

IF this thread reaches 3 or more pages, a SECOND player could be named as an alternative.

If you name 6-10 of the all-time best Vikings as 'time transport Vikings who could help now', you are essentially turning the thread into a 'best all-time Viking players' thread.

Use this and bring back anybody you want

http://www.ritilan.com/archives/images/2005/04/22/uncle-rico-time-machine.jpg

ultravikingfan
03-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Alan Page without a doubt.
He was one of the most dominant players ever.

John Randle?
LOL.
;D

Purplexing
03-12-2007, 06:35 PM
"BadlandsViking" wrote:

"Purplexing" wrote:

I'll start.

Use this and bring back anybody you want

http://www.ritilan.com/archives/images/2005/04/22/uncle-rico-time-machine.jpg

Socrates, Ben Franklin, and Ulysses S. Grant said hello!

Cheryl Tiegs told me to say hello, and thank you !

cajunvike
03-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Problem is...we don't need DTs right now.
SO...I would transport Cris Carter back to solidify our WR situation and to teach TJack how to be a successful NFL QB!

I know that at least ONE PP.O'er would agree with me!!! ;D

MVIKING7
03-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Altough I grew up with Page as my idol (I have a signed jersey by him) I would have to say Tark as my primary, and Cris Carter as my alternate. I don't need to state the reasons for either.....do I?

Desertvikingfan
03-12-2007, 06:50 PM
F. Tarkenton. Fran could make even BC's offense look exciting!

Purple Floyd
03-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Archie Manning.

His kid just taught him how to win a Super Bowl so he would be a lock.

jessejames09
03-12-2007, 08:12 PM
I'll write myself a memo to dig up this topic when randy moss retires and give you my input.

mr.woo
03-12-2007, 08:42 PM
fran the man tarkenton. hed have people saying vick who?

whackthepack
03-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Great question!!!!!!!!!

That is really tough there is a lot of possibilities and so many that I would like to resurrect and bring on to today's team I thought of Keith Millard, Alan Page, Carl Eller, Fran, Tommy Kramer, Scott Studwell, Ahmad Rushad, Robert Smith, Joey Browner, Sammy White, Chris Doleman but than I thought what is the position that the Viking's need the most help at and the answer came to me!
Cris Carter in his prime would be the biggest help for the current team in my humble opinion.

eelpout72
03-12-2007, 10:56 PM
not sure how well tarkenton would do in this era, Cris Carter definitely would help the offense a lot, but i think that Chris Doleman would be fun to see next to the Pat & Kevin Willaims

Purplexing
03-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the list of possibilities and your selection(s) therefrom.

The DL seems to be the strength of the current Vikings, so I had to think through why Alan Page would help.
He dominated as a DT in his day, but might be undersized in today's game.
So, I chose him to be a DE on downs other than obvious passing situations, and a pass rushing DT on all 2nd/3rd-and-long passing downs.

The most obvious choice would be to find a WR to help the depleted corp in 2007.
In the WCO, the obvious first choice, to me anyway, would be a possession WR.

There was none better than Cris Carter at moving the chains.
He rarely fumbled or dropped passes thrown his way.
That is something that needs to be fixed in 2007.
So, Cris Carter is the next best selection, IMHO, to adding Alan Page to make the D impervious to passing attacks.
But adding Alan Page would yield such a dominant D that the Vikings O wouldn't need to improve much for the Vikings to greatly improve their record.

So, Alan Page is a slightly better candidate than Cris Carter for time travel forward, to join the 2007 Vikings, IMHO.

michaelmazid
03-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Great Question

I got to go with CC

Deronn
03-12-2007, 11:22 PM
We need a true #1 WR. Cris Carter

SKOL
03-13-2007, 12:24 AM
Considering our current needs I'd have to say CC..., Tark would be a good alternate.

vikes2456
03-13-2007, 02:45 AM
We need an unselfish player who could lead the team. So, I'm going with my favorite player of all time, Cris Carter

digital420
03-13-2007, 03:44 AM
Joey Browner..

he hurt people..

DiGiTal

Prophet
03-13-2007, 06:48 AM
Ed White.
It would be fun to see him come back and listen to over half the board complain because they don't know who the hell it is and then have to eat crow as he consistently dominates the line.

Del Rio
03-13-2007, 07:14 AM
I would probably bring back Grady Alderman to sure up the offensive line. The guy could play anywhere.........

realistically however...........

lineman are bigger, stronger, and faster then ever on both sides of the ball. If you took Alan page in his prime do you think he would be as effective going against 320 pounders inside? I doubt it.

PurpleTide
03-13-2007, 07:33 AM
How about Anthony Carter, he could return kicks and punts, and wide out. A great multi-position player.

Zeus
03-13-2007, 08:38 AM
"Purplexing" wrote:

Chris Doleman - hands down.

=Z=

Zeus
03-13-2007, 08:39 AM
"SnoBumMN" wrote:

John Randle.

I question the need for John Randle with KWill and Phat Pat already at the DT positions.

=Z=

Marrdro
03-13-2007, 08:46 AM
Probably not a real big need but all the other stuff "Field General" he brought to the locker room would sure be nice for a young team.

Six consectutive Pro-Bowls. 1985-1990
4 time member of the John Madden "All-Madden Team"
37 Ints
3 TD

Next to Kirby, my favorite Minn Player,

Joey Browner.

greenway_alltheway
03-13-2007, 11:14 AM
We need Cris Carter.
I know if we had Cris Carter we wouldn't have led the league in third down catches that came up short of the first down.
He always knew where the sticks were, and he normally got you one more yard than you needed with his stretch.

Randall McDaniel would be a close second.
I'm tired of watching out overpaid line commit penalty after penalty while our QB scrambles for his life.

ultravikingfan
03-13-2007, 03:40 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Problem is...we don't need DTs right now.
SO...I would transport Cris Carter back to solidify our WR situation and to teach TJack how to be a successful NFL QB!

I know that at least ONE PP.O'er would agree with me!!! ;D

Hell yes.

But, I already picked Page.
Although Carter was 'da man, I would love to see Page play.

Purplexing
03-13-2007, 04:33 PM
To those who picked Cris Carter; that affirms my theory that Tice should have tried to replace C. Carter, not Moss.
Reason: possession receivers are more important than deep threats when you want to sustain scoring drives and/or play in cold weather in the playoffs.
But that's another topic, for another thread, for another time.

Slade
03-13-2007, 04:35 PM
I gotta say C.C. as well.....

MaxVike
03-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Gotta go with CC; although I do love the Ed White pick.
CC was pretty close to uncovereable in his prime; quick moves, hands lick a steel trap, enough speed to make it happen...and, he is inspirational due to how he changed his life.
Also love Alan Page (the story of him on NFL Network is almost as awesome as he was a player), and Randall McDaniel.

PurpleTommyGun9
03-23-2007, 08:05 PM
I've been thinking this over for days now.
It is so open ended, because we have had so many great players wear the purple.
I'm going to have to go with Anthony Carter over Cris Carter, because I feel in his prime he had the ability to outrun defenses to the endzone after slants like Rice.
Not only that, but he could literally take over games in so many ways.
Returning punts and kickoffs, taking reverses for huge gains and scores.
He was like Steve Smith, but without the mouth.

Like I said earlier, the list was tough to choose from.
I'd have to give honorable mentions to the following, far too short list:
Fran the man, Kramer, John Gilliam, Chuck Foreman, Eller, Millard, Doleman,
Cris Carter, Steve Jordan, Roger Craig, Warren Moon, Rich Gannon, Joey Browner, Matt Blair, Studwell, Del Rio,Ahmad Rashad, Robert Smith, Jeff George, Randall Cunningham, Gary Zimmerman, Randle McDaniel, Paul Krause,Alan Page, John Randle, and what the heck, Carl Lee.
Forgive me for leaving out others who deserve to be mentioned too, but I'm still new here, and I don't want to go on too long.
:)

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!

Garland Greene
03-23-2007, 08:51 PM
People will argue abiut the word retirement but I have to go with #77 Big K.
Hands down one of my top 3 in all time Vikings players.

gregair13
03-23-2007, 09:31 PM
warren moon would still kick ass in todays game

mountainviking
03-24-2007, 11:15 AM
As stated, its hard to argue against CC!!
"All this guy does is score TDs!"
10 TDs for him last year and we're in the playoffs.

Although, Joey Browner is always near the top of my list...Browner and Sharper 8)

Rattz
03-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Alan Page.

No one was more disruptive, the 1st Defensive lineman as NFL MVP.
When you see old footage and Jim Marshall describing his play - no one was better.
Once he was drafted, the Vikings run to the Super Bowl's began.

#88 is #1.