PDA

View Full Version : My Email To Mr. Powers

Marrdro
03-09-2007, 11:56 AM
This guy really has me steamed.
Below is a email that I sent him.
Maybe some of you that are a bit more intellectual (that be smarter) than I can join in and bang a few more responses to him to get him off of his soap box and provide some real reporting.

I will let everyone know if he responds.
If he doesn't I think I will email my fellings to ESPN or NFL network or something like that at see what happens.

Sir,

I would like to dig into your recent article a bit more with you if I could to see if you could enlighten me on some of your assumptions/statements.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/16864900.htm

Here in Minnesota, there is a relatively new conspiracy theory, but one that is gathering tremendous momentum. At first, a couple of Vikings fans tossed it out there like a bad joke. Now I hear it every single day from people who are convinced it is true.
Unquote

My question to you on this statement Sir, that is contained in your article "a couple of Vikings Fans", is two fold ?
Did you hear this in a local pub?
What date did you hear it?

Judging by your statement "I hear it every single day" leads me to believe that you heard it some time ago.
That would also mean to me that you didn't report it the first few times you heard it. How long did you wait to determine that this was an issue worth reporting?
Pending some sort of credibility for this statement I will only have to assume that you probably saw the post on a local popular web site vice hearing it from someone.

Here is another statement out of your article that has me a bit mistified.

What have you done for this state, other than to take a pretty good football team and turn it into a lousy one — and alienate half the fan base in the process?
UnQuote

What metric did you use to determine that he has alienated half the fan base?
Did you take a poll or something?
Please enlighten me.
I seriously would like to see the results of that poll or whatever you used.

This type of reporting by the local sportswriters also has as much a negative affect on a fan base as a team that is loosing.
For instance, here is an article that appears to be a spin off of your article.

http://nfl.aolsportsblog.com/2007/03/09/zygi-wilf-wants-vikes-to-lose-so-he-can-move-team-probably-not/

I am not one to critize without providing some sort of recommendation for what the Vikings organization is attempting to do so I am providing a few links that I have read that I believe show ground truth to the organizations attempt to build a winning team vice an attempt to drive them into mediocrity thus facilitating a move to greener pastures.

This article highlights the benefits of using compensatory picks through the draft vice signing big name Free Agents to build a team. Addionally, the author even goes a bit further and provides real metrics, unlike you, to validate his statements.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=184588

The following article provides the names of the personnel that were drafted by our current front office, highlighting the fact that they will be come the core group to lead the new youth movement as we build towards our team of the future through the draft and some select Free agents.

http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_objectname_youthmove3607.html

Because I no longer reside in the great state of Minnesota, having retired from over 20 years of service to my country both in the Minnesota National Guard and United States navy, I rely on local sports writers such as yourself and the national media to give me updates on the progress of my beloved Vikings.

I ask, rather beg you to please provide me with responsible reporting on my beloved Vikings vice articles that appear to be based on a whim to skew public opinion to meet your own gains such as some of the articles from reporters I have provided within.

I await your response.

vr
Marty
UNQUOTE

Prophet
03-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Nice, glad you took the time to write a letter to him.
Hope he answers, should be entertaining.

Vikes_King
03-09-2007, 12:00 PM
nice :D

Desertvikingfan
03-09-2007, 12:05 PM
I would like to say I'm a bit more intellectual and could help you with this, but I don't even know what metric is. ;D
Nice letter, please post his response, if he has the cajones to respond.

snowinapril
03-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Blame Cajun, not Powers.
He is probably quoting Cajun's thread as the fans tossing this idea around.

LOL

snowinapril
03-09-2007, 12:17 PM
good one marrdro.

You should have asked him if he likes to plagiarize from PPO.

You know these guys lurk a bit to get a feel for the fan base.

I really like the last 2 paragraphs of your letter,

Because I no longer reside in the great state of Minnesota, having retired from over 20 years of service to my country both in the Minnesota National Guard and United States navy, I rely on local sports writers such as yourself and the national media to give me updates on the progress of my beloved Vikings.

I ask, rather beg you to please provide me with responsible reporting on my beloved Vikings vice articles that appear to be based on a whim to skew public opinion to meet your own gains such as some of the articles from reporters I have provided within.

The newspapers should fire all writers and close their doors.
Other than a formal training in English/Grammar, these writers are no more helpful than us fans.
They do no investigating anymore.
They are worthless.
I think it comes down to laziness.
It is just too easy to write their opinions or in this case, to go with a "couple of fans" opinions.

They do have more of a responsibility to the readers.

ChezPizmo
03-09-2007, 12:22 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

Blame Cajun, not Powers.

LOL

I'd find it quite hilarious if this made national news and somehow the site and Cajun were mentioned. How ironic.

I do hope Mr. Powers responds. I'm eager to see what he responds with if he does.

I will let everyone know if he responds.
If he doesn't I think I will email my fellings to ESPN or NFL network or something like that at see what happens.

You think sending it in to ESPN and the NFL Network would generate any kind of response from those networks?

NodakPaul
03-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Awesome marrdro!
It would be great if he responded, but I doubt he will.
If he does, it will be something in the lines of "This is a sports editorial, not a news report."
::)

Marrdro
03-09-2007, 12:33 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

Awesome marrdro!
It would be great if he responded, but I doubt he will.
If he does, it will be something in the lines of "This is a sports editorial, not a news report."
::)

I know.
:'(
Just depresses me that he can continually write such drivel and get away with it.

Stand up my fellow PPO'rs.
Serve your team in a way that really counts.
You dont' know how many your PPO/Viking Fans this guy will tarnish with his jiggly butt poo.
Get rid of NAYSAYERS such as this guy and help the fan base's morale.

cajunvike
03-09-2007, 12:55 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

Blame Cajun, not Powers.

LOL

Well, if he's quoting ME, then the media should give me HIS job!!!

Marrdro
03-09-2007, 12:59 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

Blame Cajun, not Powers.

LOL

You would do a better job I am sure.

snowinapril
03-09-2007, 01:00 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

Blame Cajun, not Powers.

LOL

If you want it that is.

Agreed!

cogitans
03-09-2007, 01:03 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

Blame Cajun, not Powers.

LOL

Are you sure you want it. You'll probably have to take a pay cut.

cajunvike
03-09-2007, 01:03 PM
"cogitans" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

Blame Cajun, not Powers.

LOL

Are you sure you want it. You'll probably have to take a pay cut.

Maybe in my next career!
;D

VKG4LFE
03-09-2007, 08:37 PM
I've just come to the conclusion that most sports writers are idiots and need to be taken with a grain of salt. They, after all, are trying to sell their newspapers.

laujesse
03-09-2007, 08:47 PM
As much as I would LOVE to blame Cajun...

It is not just this artical, he has been bad mouthing the stadium plans and the ownership from day 1.
I maybe focus on this crap more than others because the the guy who started this thread this online paper is one of few links to home.

Marrdro
03-09-2007, 10:24 PM
"laujesse" wrote:

As much as I would LOVE to blame Cajun...

It is not just this artical, he has been bad mouthing the stadium plans and the ownership from day 1.
I maybe focus on this crap more than others because the the guy who started this thread this online paper is one of few links to home.

My point exactly.
Infact I ignored his article until it got picked up by another national paper.

vikinggreg
03-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Have you sent the email off to Powers yet?

I think the article could have been a good post ( if he had put IMHO next to every statement ) on a thread but something printed in a paper its not fit to line a birdcage.

Liked the email you wrote Marrdro keep us posted on Powers response

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/dr_evil.jpg

Mr Powers......you have been owned

Marrdro
03-10-2007, 09:25 PM
"vikinggreg" wrote:

Have you sent the email off to Powers yet?

I think the article could have been a good post ( if he had put IMHO next to every statement ) on a thread but something printed in a paper its not fit to line a birdcage.

Liked the email you wrote Marrdro keep us posted on Powers response

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/dr_evil.jpg

Mr Powers......you have been owned

Nothing yet Purple Faithfull.
I got ahold of his editors email address.
If I don't see a response by Monday gonna send it again to the editor.

Prophet
03-10-2007, 11:59 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Nothing yet Purple Faithfull.
I got ahold of his editors email address.
If I don't see a response by Monday gonna send it again to the editor.

You might as well send it to the editor.
Last year Caine sent this letter (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=88888913&topic=20199.10) (reply #16) to the editor regarding a different article that Powers wrote and I don't think he ever got a response.
So don't get your expectations up.
Powers is a pussy and an idiot and a disgrace to journalists everywhere.

Purplexing
03-11-2007, 12:49 AM
My suggestion is to follw up your letter to Powers with a simple statement that 'those who are upset will be the first and most vocal complainers, while those who are content will remain silent'.
Therefore, whatever survey Powers took in assessing the mood of the Minnesota public that follows the Vikings is bound to biased toward negativity.

To obtain a better grasp of the sentiments of the Vikings fanbase, Powers needs to take an unbiased sampling.
Listening to whiney callers to sports radio stations or reading fan messageboards during the offseason following a 6-10 season is not such an unbiased sampling.
That is especially true in the 2nd week of free agency which holds very little promise to land a top tier player due to the dearth of such free agents in 2007, and the significant increase in 2007 cap space which teams can use to lure the few quality players.

Marrdro
03-11-2007, 10:22 AM
"Purplexing" wrote:

My suggestion is to follw up your letter to Powers with a simple statement that 'those who are upset will be the first and most vocal complainers, while those who are content will remain silent'.
Therefore, whatever survey Powers took in assessing the mood of the Minnesota public that follows the Vikings is bound to biased toward negativity.

To obtain a better grasp of the sentiments of the Vikings fanbase, Powers needs to take an unbiased sampling.
Listening to whiney callers to sports radio stations or reading fan messageboards during the offseason following a 6-10 season is not such an unbiased sampling.
That is especially true in the 2nd week of free agency which holds very little promise to land a top tier player due to the dearth of such free agents in 2007, and the significant increase in 2007 cap space which teams can use to lure the few quality players.

Your probably right on target IF he did take a poll.
My assesment is he probably didn't.
His info was probably garnered from this page.
From what I understad, I haven't been a member that long, is he has done it in the past.

Again, my problem with him is it appears he has an ax to grind and is gonna grind it no matter what the facts are.
;D

Purplexing
03-11-2007, 10:41 AM
Power's axe to grind is his way of attracting the attention of those who are griping, and irritating those who are not griping about the slow offseason.
Either way, he gets publicity.
If you don't like his attitude, ignore him and focus on the analytical sportswriters who analyze and categorize the Vikings roster moves that are positive, neutral or negative.

I'm sure there are other teams who have taken a slow motion approach to free agency thus far; e.g. Da Bearrrsss.
But their fans and sportswriters may not be panicking as much as some Viking fans about free agency ( although their offseason moves concerning their coaches, L.Briggs and T.Jones are aggravating their fans! )

Marrdro
03-11-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm With ya Purp, its just in my nature to correct that which I percieve is wrong.
I'll find another soap box to get on next week.
He is just my target of interest from last week.

;D