PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Aggression



josdin00
10-14-2004, 11:29 AM
I'm sure that this article comes as a bit of relief for a bunch of us. I've read a number of posts this week that cry out for a bit more aggression when it comes to getting to the QB. It sounds like Tice wants Cottrell to blitz more, and to play some tighter coverage. This seems like great news to me.

"VU" wrote:

Defensive Aggression To Increase

Scout.com Staff - VikingUpdate.com
October 14, 2004 at 9:01am ET

After reviewing the film earlier this week, head coach Mike Tice has decided that his defense wasn't as aggressive as he thought it would be heading into the season. That could change.

Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell was asked Monday if he had any thoughts on the NFC North race. He had none, for good reason.

"To be honest, I've been too busy with this team," Cottrell said with a laugh. "I've got my own things to work on."

The Vikings' pass defense ranks last in the NFL (293.8 ) after giving up 288 yards passing after halftime in last week's near total collapse in Houston. The Vikings led 21-0 in the third quarter when the Texans abandoned the run, lined up with four wideouts and torched the Vikings' nickel defense.

Andre Johnson caught 12 passes for 170 yards and two touchdowns. David Carr completed 27 of 43 passes for 372 yards, three touchdowns and a 113.7 passer rating.

Head coach Mike Tice looked at his defense closely Monday and Tuesday and determined Cottrell's approach wasn't as aggressive as he thought it was during training camp.

"I think we have to learn as we progress to have a little bit more of a killer instinct," Tice said of the defense. Although we got after (Carr) pretty good with our front four, I think we also have to be a little more aggressive in some of the things we call and get after them a little bit more. At the same time, we have to go out there and challenge receivers throughout the course of the game and be closer in coverage."

Up front, the Vikings rarely brought a fifth pass rusher. The front four produced four sacks, but most of the pass plays resulted in Houston's five offensive linemen stuffing the Vikings' four pass rushers.

The Vikings need to send a linebacker or an occasional cornerback off the end to juice up the pass rush.

The Vikings also need to play tighter pass coverage and consider shadowing the opponent's top receiver with Antoine Winfield , the cornerback they paid $35 million for in free agency.

Like a lot of teams, the Vikings don't believe in shadowing the top receiver with one player. Sunday, Johnson got too many of his catches and both touchdowns against nickel corner Terrence Shaw, who wasn't even with the team at the start of the season.

Shaw isn't a bad player, but he's not as good as Winfield or Brian Williams . He had good coverage on one of Johnson's touchdowns, but he gave up the other after Johnson lulled him into thinking the play was over.

The Vikings got away with poor pass defense this time. But they can't count on the offense bailing them out every time they get in trouble.

bigdogbovy
10-14-2004, 11:43 AM
Hmmm... this is what I recommended after week 1

enlvikeman
10-14-2004, 11:51 AM
I guess we'll see if it works.

whackthepack
10-14-2004, 12:09 PM
I heard the first 10 minutes of Tice's show on Kfan last night and he addressed the problem of playing off the receivers so far, and playing such a soft zone.

He said that he had meet with the coaches about playing a much tighter D.

Then I had to go into a meeting so I didn't hear the rest.

Hopefully we will start taking a few chances on D and make teams pay for yardage instead of just surrendering it!

cajunvike
10-14-2004, 12:22 PM
They just need to make better adjustments during the game...SH*T, if a receiver (like, oh, Andre Johnson,for instance) is schooling your secondary, the DC needs to put someone on him (not necessarily Winfield, but someone who matches up with him - I recommend BWill as the height advantage of Johnson is negated). To just sit there and stubbornly refuse to change something that is not working is stupid and counterproductive.

Kleinsasser40
10-14-2004, 12:24 PM
Its about damn time he "reviewed the tapes" and "made some changes." I have been saying we need to be aggressive since week 1, I think he should have noticed this earlier, it was pretty blatent...

bleedpurple
10-14-2004, 12:37 PM
WELL, he said he's put more pressure and be more aggressive last week against the texans and they didn't do it!

SO, i'll just use the "Wait and See Approach" for this one!

Big Daddy
10-14-2004, 01:00 PM
Its tough to be agressive when you have SO many injuries and young players who are making mistakes.

sdvikefan
10-14-2004, 01:17 PM
That's very true Big Daddy. But Antoine Winfield is a veteran with solid coverage skills, excellent tackling skills, and a very big contract. I don't always agree with sticking one defender on one receiver either, but we were consistently getting beat by Johnson, and I believe Winfield could have prevented some of those plays. One of the reasons we brought Winfield here was because QBs just don't like throwing in his direction. Well Andre Johnson is Carr's favorite weapon so why not use Winfield to take him out as much as possible?

Foreman44
10-14-2004, 01:21 PM
Winfield: $35 million?!

Del Rio
10-14-2004, 01:52 PM
I'd rather they make aggressive physical mistakes then the mistakes they seem to be making now. I think if the coach puts them in a position to make a play they will have a better chance then "hey you guys stand 10 yards back while this pretty good reciever picks you apart." At least this way they can be aggressive and be physical. Mistakes are ok as long as they are good ones.

whackthepack
10-14-2004, 01:59 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I'd rather they make aggressive physical mistakes then the mistakes they seem to be making now. I think if the coach puts them in a position to make a play they will have a better chance then "hey you guys stand 10 yards back while this pretty good reciever picks you apart." At least this way they can be aggressive and be physical. Mistakes are ok as long as they are good ones.


Amen to that Del Rio! (we finally agree on something) :cheers:

Del Rio
10-14-2004, 03:19 PM
We agree? Scary oh wait I can fix that Hovan for prez!

MOSSISBOSS88
10-14-2004, 03:24 PM
I think we need someone, be it a veteran or a rookie, (Cough------Winfield-----cough) to step up as a defensive leader on and off of the field because atleast to me it seems like our D plays for themselves and then for the team. We have tons of outstanding talent that just needs a little more direction!

ADubya26
10-14-2004, 07:08 PM
I agree MIB88, thats what I thought Winfield would bring..that hard hitting attitude they had in Buffalo. The coaches need to walk the walk with this more agressive play stuff, and need to learn how to alter gameplans during the game like someone else said. Instead of having Shaw cover their Stud receiver, why didnt we put our 35 million dollar man on him? I want to see our D win a game for us! I have a feeling we will see something on Sunday night though..

hovan
10-14-2004, 11:46 PM
WE ARE THE ONLY TEAM WITHOUT AN INT. JUST NOT RIGHT.

cajunvike
10-14-2004, 11:52 PM
"hovan" wrote:

WE ARE THE ONLY TEAM WITHOUT AN INT. JUST NOT RIGHT.

As long as we keep winning, it doesn't bother me too much...I am much more concerned about other teams' third down conversion rates against us (don't know what the number is, but it can't be too good based on what I have seen so far). To let other teams sustain long scoring drives against us just exposes our defense as one that can't make the big plays when they matter most (stopping the opposing team on first and second down doesn't mean sh*t if you let them convert on third down). Might as well let them score on the first play and get the ball back and let our offense match them TD for TD all game (I say this sarcastically, of course).

VikingsTw
10-15-2004, 12:52 AM
In the texans game it wasn't the 3rd down convertions but the 4th down convertions that killed us last game. We aloud 5-15 3rd downs but i think we gave them every 4th down play they attempted.

hawaiianvike21
10-15-2004, 04:00 AM
Cottrels scheme must suck when it comes to picks. In new york i dont ever recall the jets getting many picks from there secondary and lbers. Gotta say it but olearys scheme was better when were getting 3 picks a game.

casper
10-15-2004, 05:08 AM
"Big Daddy" wrote:

Its tough to be agressive when you have SO many injuries and young players who are making mistakes.

If we could just get over the Injuries Man our secondary would be the best the talent is there in the young guys we need things to just jell...it will happen, cotterl is good for the team and will work it out...

SKOL...our D will work and hold it will come together and surprise everyone....

sdvikefan
10-15-2004, 05:53 AM
"hovan" wrote:

WE ARE THE ONLY TEAM WITHOUT AN INT. JUST NOT RIGHT.

<<<<<<<<<I'm sure the legendary #22 would agree!

Del Rio
10-15-2004, 07:36 AM
Since everyone loves to bring up Patriot examples I'd just like to point out that they aren't a flashy team. They don't really beat you deep. They don't really have an "explosive" offense they are just fundementaly on the same page. But the huge stat that has been credited to their success is the turnover ratio. They don't turn the ball over and they average 2.5 take aways a game.

Not that those are always interceptions but if we want to get to the dance we need to be able to get a few more turnovers.

sdvikefan
10-15-2004, 07:52 AM
Of course all of that stuff, like turnovers, few mistakes, fundamentally sound football is mostly the doing of Belicheck and his staff. They have turned that team into a smart, mature squad.

The Vikings easily have the talent to go on a winning streak like that if our coaches can get the team to not make so many costly mistakes and play smarter.

whackthepack
10-15-2004, 12:10 PM
If Tice is not blowing smoke up our skirts (well some of you), then we should see a more agressive D this week like we were seeing in preseason!

It would be nice to get to a point that when we play a team that they fear our D as much as they fear our O.

muchluv4smoot
10-16-2004, 12:04 PM
"josdin00" wrote:

I'm sure that this article comes as a bit of relief for a bunch of us. I've read a number of posts this week that cry out for a bit more aggression when it comes to getting to the QB. It sounds like Tice wants Cottrell to blitz more, and to play some tighter coverage. This seems like great news to me.

"VU" wrote:

Defensive Aggression To Increase

Scout.com Staff - VikingUpdate.com
October 14, 2004 at 9:01am ET

After reviewing the film earlier this week, head coach Mike Tice has decided that his defense wasn't as aggressive as he thought it would be heading into the season. That could change.

Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell was asked Monday if he had any thoughts on the NFC North race. He had none, for good reason.

"To be honest, I've been too busy with this team," Cottrell said with a laugh. "I've got my own things to work on."

The Vikings' pass defense ranks last in the NFL (293.8 ) after giving up 288 yards passing after halftime in last week's near total collapse in Houston. The Vikings led 21-0 in the third quarter when the Texans abandoned the run, lined up with four wideouts and torched the Vikings' nickel defense.

Andre Johnson caught 12 passes for 170 yards and two touchdowns. David Carr completed 27 of 43 passes for 372 yards, three touchdowns and a 113.7 passer rating.

Head coach Mike Tice looked at his defense closely Monday and Tuesday and determined Cottrell's approach wasn't as aggressive as he thought it was during training camp.

"I think we have to learn as we progress to have a little bit more of a killer instinct," Tice said of the defense. Although we got after (Carr) pretty good with our front four, I think we also have to be a little more aggressive in some of the things we call and get after them a little bit more. At the same time, we have to go out there and challenge receivers throughout the course of the game and be closer in coverage."

Up front, the Vikings rarely brought a fifth pass rusher. The front four produced four sacks, but most of the pass plays resulted in Houston's five offensive linemen stuffing the Vikings' four pass rushers.

The Vikings need to send a linebacker or an occasional cornerback off the end to juice up the pass rush.

The Vikings also need to play tighter pass coverage and consider shadowing the opponent's top receiver with Antoine Winfield , the cornerback they paid $35 million for in free agency.

Like a lot of teams, the Vikings don't believe in shadowing the top receiver with one player. Sunday, Johnson got too many of his catches and both touchdowns against nickel corner Terrence Shaw, who wasn't even with the team at the start of the season.

Shaw isn't a bad player, but he's not as good as Winfield or Brian Williams . He had good coverage on one of Johnson's touchdowns, but he gave up the other after Johnson lulled him into thinking the play was over.

The Vikings got away with poor pass defense this time. But they can't count on the offense bailing them out every time they get in trouble.




It took him 5 games to realize all this!!!

ADubya26
10-16-2004, 12:49 PM
Yeah I really dont care about INTs, even though they are cool to watch. We could use some forced turnovers, but I would just like to see our guys lay some hits and play with more spark. I think were going to see some helmits crackin on Sunday night!

ultravikingfan
10-16-2004, 01:54 PM
I think that the game against Indy will be decided with turnovers. Face it, both teams have a potent offensive and a porus defense. It should be a shoot out! If we can stop Manning's drives with a INT or fumble recovery, I think we will win!

dan3ski
10-17-2004, 12:05 AM
Well I have screamed for Tice's head and blamed last season's melt down and the loss to the Eagles this year on coaching. Some things never change I guess.

hawaiianvike21
10-17-2004, 03:33 AM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"josdin00" wrote:

I'm sure that this article comes as a bit of relief for a bunch of us. I've read a number of posts this week that cry out for a bit more aggression when it comes to getting to the QB. It sounds like Tice wants Cottrell to blitz more, and to play some tighter coverage. This seems like great news to me.

"VU" wrote:

Defensive Aggression To Increase

Scout.com Staff - VikingUpdate.com
October 14, 2004 at 9:01am ET

After reviewing the film earlier this week, head coach Mike Tice has decided that his defense wasn't as aggressive as he thought it would be heading into the season. That could change.

Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell was asked Monday if he had any thoughts on the NFC North race. He had none, for good reason.

"To be honest, I've been too busy with this team," Cottrell said with a laugh. "I've got my own things to work on."

The Vikings' pass defense ranks last in the NFL (293.8 ) after giving up 288 yards passing after halftime in last week's near total collapse in Houston. The Vikings led 21-0 in the third quarter when the Texans abandoned the run, lined up with four wideouts and torched the Vikings' nickel defense.

Andre Johnson caught 12 passes for 170 yards and two touchdowns. David Carr completed 27 of 43 passes for 372 yards, three touchdowns and a 113.7 passer rating.

Head coach Mike Tice looked at his defense closely Monday and Tuesday and determined Cottrell's approach wasn't as aggressive as he thought it was during training camp.

"I think we have to learn as we progress to have a little bit more of a killer instinct," Tice said of the defense. Although we got after (Carr) pretty good with our front four, I think we also have to be a little more aggressive in some of the things we call and get after them a little bit more. At the same time, we have to go out there and challenge receivers throughout the course of the game and be closer in coverage."

Up front, the Vikings rarely brought a fifth pass rusher. The front four produced four sacks, but most of the pass plays resulted in Houston's five offensive linemen stuffing the Vikings' four pass rushers.

The Vikings need to send a linebacker or an occasional cornerback off the end to juice up the pass rush.

The Vikings also need to play tighter pass coverage and consider shadowing the opponent's top receiver with Antoine Winfield , the cornerback they paid $35 million for in free agency.

Like a lot of teams, the Vikings don't believe in shadowing the top receiver with one player. Sunday, Johnson got too many of his catches and both touchdowns against nickel corner Terrence Shaw, who wasn't even with the team at the start of the season.

Shaw isn't a bad player, but he's not as good as Winfield or Brian Williams . He had good coverage on one of Johnson's touchdowns, but he gave up the other after Johnson lulled him into thinking the play was over.

The Vikings got away with poor pass defense this time. But they can't count on the offense bailing them out every time they get in trouble.




It took him 5 games to realize all this!!!

Better late then never right??? :wink: :roll: :lol:

whackthepack
10-18-2004, 09:04 AM
say more of an agressive D in the 2nd half but not enough blitzing in the first half.

Our DB's were playing a lot tighter most of the game which was good to see!

The D has to stop letting teams have 12, 13 play drives for a TD right after we score. Need to go in and shut them down and keep the momentum going!

ADubya26
10-18-2004, 10:42 AM
Yeah we really do need to tighten up on D. I hope we can step it up by the Colts game, because I dont know if our offense can get us through that one on its own. Well see as time goes on...