PDA

View Full Version : Let us address our offeason needs.



baumy300
02-12-2007, 06:50 AM
Pass Rush - Our run defense is more than acceptable, but without a pass rush it doesn't matter how talented our secondary is. I can basically count the number of sacks we had this year on my d*ck and still have one left over! Until we can establish some kind of pass rush (mostly from our ends) we are going to continue letting our secondary take a beating Tina Turner style. Getting a scheme going where our LB's blitz more often would help also. Potential helpers would be Dwight Freeney, who seems to be a long shot or Quentin Moses. Some say Jamaal Anderson, but I say Moses is the best bet. Don't laugh, he's for real.

Receivers - Oh God how bad we need play makers at this position. Troy "I couldn't catch STD's from Anna Nicole" Williamson has proven he has the potentia, but not the consistency leaves us with no other choice but to make him a number 4, possibly number 3 until he proves otherwise. Word is T. Taylor could be on the way out. If so, Drew Bennett could be an alright choice, but preferably Sidney Rice or Harry Douglas should be available in the 2nd round. Both are very good. I would even be pleased if we snag Dwayne Jarrett in the 1st round, and Rice, Meachum, or Douglas in the 2nd. Calvin Johnson would be a great pick up, but probably won't be available for us.

Right side of the line - Possibly Marcus Johnson could come around, but I won't hold my breath. I say a free agent pickup would be best in this situation. Ryan Cook could also fill in and do decent. This is a pretty big concern for us and hopefully the front office plays it smart and finds us a decent FA to fill in one of the spots, because Cook, Hicks, and Johnson are all iffy.

Coaching/Play Calling - Nothing here will happen, but something should. Childress and his one dimensional offense should be switched up. Chester can't carry continue to carry the ball 30+ times a game, and we can't continue going for bombs on 3rd and 1 or 4th and short. Let's hope the Chiller can either wise up or turn over play calling duties to someone better suited. Like Helen Keller!

Ok, enough with the negative. How about the good.

Special teams - Longwell and Kluwe are pretty solid, giving us not much to worry about when it comes to the team legs. Moore and Bethel should continue to be good threats on returns. Moore especially.

Running game - Hopefully Moore will see more carries and our right side of the line will improve to give us the possibility of two thousand yard backs. That obviously being Moore and Taylor. Moore has shown me over and over he's got the skill, just as long as he's healthy. Fason also gets it down when short yardage situations are present. Also, Tony Richardson is still a beast.

Run defense - We will be getting back Chad Greenway who is a tackling monster and we still have two of the best defensive tackles in the game. If Leber and Henderson keep learning, we could be just as dominant, if not more, than last year. Now if only we could somehow pick up Sean Taylor to help out Winfield in secondary tackling...

So what do you guys think?

Missing anything we need to address OTHER THAN the tight end position? The reason I didn't mention it is because I still firmly believe Wiggins is a great receiving TE. Plus, Kleinsasser can take care of the blocking aspect.

So what else should we go after?

Prophet
02-12-2007, 06:52 AM
An OC seems to come up in most of these discussions.

baumy300
02-12-2007, 06:55 AM
"Prophet" wrote:


An OC seems to come up in most of these discussions.

And you're right, but I won't call for our coordinators head just yet.

I am under the understanding that Childress calls all the plays, therefore leaving us wondering what our OC is capable of.

freaky
02-12-2007, 07:06 AM
as much as we want a pass rush at least half our defense is solid with the run stuffing. the secondary leaks passing yards but can make it's share of picks, which is something. if we cannot score points it's all irrelevant, so i'd rather we bolster the offense. the left side of the line will improved markedly this year & don't worry about williamson, he's a friggin rookie..no one with any clue would expect a rookie to walk in as the go to man n dominate!! he will be fine in time, if we give it to him

Prophet
02-12-2007, 07:10 AM
"freaky" wrote:


as much as we want a pass rush at least half our defense is solid with the run stuffing. the secondary leaks passing yards but can make it's share of picks, which is something. if we cannot score points it's all irrelevant, so i'd rather we bolster the offense. the left side of the line will improved markedly this year & don't worry about williamson, he's a friggin rookie..no one with any clue would expect a rookie to walk in as the go to man n dominate!! he will be fine in time, if we give it to him

Williamson is no longer a rookie, he should be working on refining his routes, not learning how to catch a ball.
I'm on record saying he is a bust.
Hopefully I will have to eat crow on this one, but the guy has a long way to go and it's all uphill.

freaky
02-12-2007, 07:19 AM
technically he's not a rookie, but how many guys come into their 2nd year n are expected to be the new randy moss?

Prophet
02-12-2007, 07:24 AM
I never even thought of Randy Moss, I was thinking more along the lines of someone that is a professional receiver in the NFL picked as the #7 overall that drops more passes than my 6-yr old son.
Yeah, that's asking a lot, but all indications show he is a bust, a head-case that can't hold onto the ball and lets it hit him in the pads.
Coachable?
If you are in the NFL as a WR and can't even catch the ball you are a bust.....yeah, but.....yeah, but.....he is really fast.

Zeus
02-12-2007, 07:29 AM
"freaky" wrote:


technically he's not a rookie, but how many guys come into their 2nd year n are expected to be the new randy moss?


I'd settle for him being Qadry Ismail, at this point.

=Z=

freaky
02-12-2007, 07:29 AM
i think u might find a young player thrown in to carry the weight of an offense & be the deep threat when he is still finding himself in the team & nfl might find it a little tougher than catch/not catch...have u heard of psychology? are u saying t.o is a bust?

baumy300
02-12-2007, 07:30 AM
The passes that Williamson drops are even unacceptable for high school players.

No excuses for dropping ball after ball after ball after ball......Especially in the NFL.

Prophet
02-12-2007, 07:33 AM
"freaky" wrote:


i think u might find a young player thrown in to carry the weight of an offense & be the deep threat when he is still finding himself in the team & nfl might find it a little tougher than catch/not catch...have u heard of psychology? are u saying t.o is a bust?


Stay on a train of thought here.
I'm the person that said he is a head-case which infers he has problems in his head regarding catching (i.e., psychological or maybe better termed 'Daunteitis or the condition of having a fragile ego).
Nobody was making Williamson carry the weight of the team like you are suggesting....just simply catch an occasional ball that is tossed right in your hands.
Also, last time I checked, T-Ho has actually had production during his career.
If you want to pull comparisons out of your ass at least compare something that is reasonably
similar.

freaky
02-12-2007, 07:33 AM
underperforming yes, a bust no...we aren't trying to clean out the secodary because they are useless!

NordicNed
02-12-2007, 07:36 AM
Our two biggest pressing needs at this time are our WR's Corps and the fact that our pass rush is non existent.



I'de like to see us pick up a WR in free agency, maybe even two.
First two that come to mind are Bennett and Stallworth......Then picking up a a 2 round WR, to help out even more.



With James coming back next year, this should be a plus, but add to that a first round best on the board pass rushing DE would be a good way to go for me.



I'm also wishing we try to make a move on bringing Cato June into our LB mix....He's got speed and knows the Tampa-2.
Like Urlacher, he's a converted Safety....

baumy300
02-12-2007, 07:38 AM
Yeah June would be a great idea.

I would also like a tall receiver like Jarrett to get jump balls.

We can't just rely on speed. A nice red zone target would be such a big boost.

Zeus
02-12-2007, 07:38 AM
"freaky" wrote:


i think u might find a young player thrown in to carry the weight of an offense & be the deep threat when he is still finding himself in the team & nfl might find it a little tougher than catch/not catch...have u heard of psychology? are u saying t.o is a bust?


It's quite a stretch to compare Troy Williamson to Terrell Owens.

Expectations were big for Williamson, for sure, and he has disappointed on all counts.
Even if you looked at him with the expectations of a 5th-rounder, he has disappointed.
This is his 3rd seasons coming up - 2nd season in the KAO - no more excuses.

=Z=

freaky
02-12-2007, 07:42 AM
oh no one was making him carry the offense, we just happen to have no one who can catch a ball past 20 yards...& as for t.o my point is he can catch, you dont forget how to catch...troy can catch n obviously there's reasons why he's lost confidence...

Prophet
02-12-2007, 07:43 AM
"freaky" wrote:


oh no one was making him carry the offense, we just happen to have no one who can catch a ball past 20 yards...& as for t.o my point is he can catch, you dont forget how to catch...troy can catch n obviously there's reasons why he's lost confidence...


There is.
He is a bust.

freaky
02-12-2007, 07:43 AM
im not comparing him as a player at all..

freaky
02-12-2007, 07:46 AM
oh whatever muppet! so you give every player one year as a rookie n then the next year they must be good enough? lol...we would barely have a team by that that rate

Zeus
02-12-2007, 07:48 AM
"freaky" wrote:


oh whatever muppet! so you give every player one year as a rookie n then the next year they must be good enough? lol...we would barely have a team by that that rate


I believe the expectation is that by the time a receiver gets to the NFL, he should know how to catch the ball.
It appears that Troy Williamson has basic problems with that skill, and until he masters that, he's a bust.

=Z=

Prophet
02-12-2007, 07:49 AM
"freaky" wrote:


oh whatever muppet! so you give every player one year as a rookie n then the next year they must be good enough? lol...we would barely have a team by that that rate


I have plenty of evidence to substantiate my claim and you have produced none to substantiate your claim.
You are an expert at extrapolation of evidence, now all of a sudden I am guilty of giving every player a yr as a rookie?
It would help if you think through your comments before stating them, otherwise you lose the argument before there is even a response.

freaky
02-12-2007, 07:54 AM
you have evidence to substantiate he drops the ball in the nfl, but u overlook the evidence to support he can catch as shown in college on countless occasions. would we draft a guy at number 7 who so blatantly (as you say) cannot catch? or are u suggesting he has had a hand transplant?

Prophet
02-12-2007, 07:55 AM
"freaky" wrote:


you have evidence to substantiate he drops the ball in the nfl, but u overlook the evidence to support he can catch as shown in college on countless occasions. would we draft a guy at number 7 who so blatantly (as you say) cannot catch? or are u suggesting he has had a hand transplant?


I heard Ryan Leaf was a really good QB in college.

freaky
02-12-2007, 07:59 AM
yeah so was carson palmer n the rest of the nfl. i think a few more might make it then dont lol

Prophet
02-12-2007, 08:01 AM
"freaky" wrote:


yeah so was carson palmer n the rest of the nfl. i think a few more might make it then dont lol


Again, do your homework.
There are many more that don't make it than do make it.
I'm done with this beating, there comes a point in any competition where it gets boring if the opponent cannot score a single point.

freaky
02-12-2007, 08:06 AM
not among the 'rated' players..or did u think i was talking about the entire u.s population? how will i cope without ur condescending charm?

marcosMN
02-12-2007, 08:07 AM
"Prophet" wrote:


"freaky" wrote:


yeah so was carson palmer n the rest of the nfl. i think a few more might make it then dont lol


Again, do your homework.
There are many more that don't make it than do make it.
I'm done with this beating, there comes a point in any competition where it gets boring if the opponent cannot score a single point.


I remember a couple guys from a few years back named Edwards and Williams... Neither of whom we drafted.

They both had great college carreers, but neither has established himself as a serious threat. Shite, Mike Furry seemed more productive this year...

Del Rio
02-12-2007, 08:08 AM
"freaky" wrote:


you have evidence to substantiate he drops the ball in the nfl, but u overlook the evidence to support he can catch as shown in college on countless occasions. would we draft a guy at number 7 who so blatantly (as you say) cannot catch? or are u suggesting he has had a hand transplant?


Troy Williamson has always dropped footballs. That was his biggest negative in the draft that he could not catch very well and Mike Tice said the famous "You can teach a guy how to catch, but you cannot teach speed"

This will be his third year I don't know how many years a guy is a rookie in your book of fandom, but apparently if you like the guy he gets at least three years to be called a rookie.

At no point in the season was he called on to carry the load. He wasn't thrown to more then our other WR's he wasn't thrown to more then our RB's. So what he was occassionaly called upon to run a deep route, I have no idea how that translates into carrying the load on offense.

I wouldn't call him a bust. I wouldn't call him an NFL caliber WR either. His chances are running thin, and you can tell that when Childress set him out, kept talking about how they had his eyes checked, and basically kept telling everyone it was Troys mindset....that his days are numbered here if he cannot catch the ball.

If someone says "I think he is a bust" and you do not. It is enough to say "I think he is not a bust." Why make shit up to try and convince someone you are right? Especially when the shit you make up is so obviously wrong?

Prophet
02-12-2007, 08:15 AM
"freaky" wrote:


not among the 'rated' players..or did u think i was talking about the entire u.s population? how will i cope without ur condescending charm?


Any semi-conscious person that reads this thread will see that I was merely addressing your fallacies that you were trying to use as support for your argument.
If you call that condescending, more power to your inability to discuss issues using a hint of reality.
Somewhere back in my first post in this thread I said I think he's a bust and I hope I have to eat crow on this one.
I have no reason to believe that I will though.

You really need to work on your replies.
They not only make sense, they are laden in inaccuracies and fallacies.
If you have man-love for Williamson just state it, I'm ok with that.

freaky
02-12-2007, 08:15 AM
fair call del rio...
i do think the expectation has been too high for him though..said or unsaid..
he's played 2 years, once off the bench & next year starting strongside..(which says enough)
i just think far too many people are quick to condemn a guy with talent..especially now he's in a system that no wideout can flourish..
rightly or wrongy, i think he's been one of the scapegoats for some bigger issues..
i respect your criticism though

marcosMN
02-12-2007, 08:17 AM
"Del" wrote:


"freaky" wrote:


you have evidence to substantiate he drops the ball in the nfl, but u overlook the evidence to support he can catch as shown in college on countless occasions. would we draft a guy at number 7 who so blatantly (as you say) cannot catch? or are u suggesting he has had a hand transplant?


Troy Williamson has always dropped footballs. That was his biggest negative in the draft that he could not catch very well and Mike Tice said the famous "You can teach a guy how to catch, but you cannot teach speed"

This will be his third year I don't know how many years a guy is a rookie in your book of fandom, but apparently if you like the guy he gets at least three years to be called a rookie.

At no point in the season was he called on to carry the load. He wasn't thrown to more then our other WR's he wasn't thrown to more then our RB's. So what he was occassionaly called upon to run a deep route, I have no idea how that translates into carrying the load on offense.

I wouldn't call him a bust. I wouldn't call him an NFL caliber WR either. His chances are running thin, and you can tell that when Childress set him out, kept talking about how they had his eyes checked, and basically kept telling everyone it was Troys mindset....that his days are numbered here if he cannot catch the ball.

If someone says "I think he is a bust" and you do not. It is enough to say "I think he is not a bust." Why make pooh up to try and convince someone you are right? Especially when the pooh you make up is so obviously wrong?


Exactly. If it were a fixable problem, we would have at least seen some progress. Alas, more of the same...

freaky
02-12-2007, 08:17 AM
thanks prophet..going the insult route shows your true class.

Zeus
02-12-2007, 08:20 AM
"freaky" wrote:


fair call del rio...
i do think the expectation has been too high for him though..said or unsaid..
he's played 2 years, once off the bench & next year starting strongside..(which says enough)
i just think far too many people are quick to condemn a guy with talent..especially now he's in a system that no wideout can flourish..


The base of the KAO, Bill Walsh's West-Coast Offense, produced the greatest WR of all time, Jerry Rice.

=Z=

Del Rio
02-12-2007, 08:20 AM
"freaky" wrote:


fair call del rio...
i do think the expectation has been too high for him though..said or unsaid..
he's played 2 years, once off the bench & next year starting strongside..(which says enough)
i just think far too many people are quick to condemn a guy with talent..especially now he's in a system that no wideout can flourish..
rightly or wrongy, i think he's been one of the scapegoats for some bigger issues..
i respect your criticism though




Your probably right, the truth of the issue probably lies somewhere between as usual. When things go bad people need to point a finger and TW had his fair share of fingers pointing at him this season.

As long as he is on this roster I cheer for him. That's just the way I roll.

Prophet
02-12-2007, 08:20 AM
"freaky" wrote:


thanks prophet..going the insult route shows your true class.


Insult?
Maybe calling a spade a spade is too much in today's world.
If someone tries to justify their beliefs with fallacy I will call them on it every time, and I expect the same for my posts.
If that's not the case this board will be the same as any other marginal NFL fan board, laden with inaccuracies and opinions that are spouted off as fact.

Prophet
02-12-2007, 08:42 AM
"baumy300" wrote:


Pass Rush - Our run defense is more than acceptable, but without a pass rush it doesn't matter how talented our secondary is. I can basically count the number of sacks we had this year on my d*ck and still have one left over! Until we can establish some kind of pass rush (mostly from our ends) we are going to continue letting our secondary take a beating Tina Turner style. Getting a scheme going where our LB's blitz more often would help also. Potential helpers would be Dwight Freeney, who seems to be a long shot or Quentin Moses. Some say Jamaal Anderson, but I say Moses is the best bet. Don't laugh, he's for real.

Receivers - Oh God how bad we need play makers at this position. Troy "I couldn't catch STD's from Anna Nicole" Williamson has proven he has the potentia, but not the consistency leaves us with no other choice but to make him a number 4, possibly number 3 until he proves otherwise. Word is T. Taylor could be on the way out. If so, Drew Bennett could be an alright choice, but preferably Sidney Rice or Harry Douglas should be available in the 2nd round. Both are very good. I would even be pleased if we snag Dwayne Jarrett in the 1st round, and Rice, Meachum, or Douglas in the 2nd. Calvin Johnson would be a great pick up, but probably won't be available for us.

Right side of the line - Possibly Marcus Johnson could come around, but I won't hold my breath. I say a free agent pickup would be best in this situation. Ryan Cook could also fill in and do decent. This is a pretty big concern for us and hopefully the front office plays it smart and finds us a decent FA to fill in one of the spots, because Cook, Hicks, and Johnson are all iffy.

Coaching/Play Calling - Nothing here will happen, but something should. Childress and his one dimensional offense should be switched up. Chester can't carry continue to carry the ball 30+ times a game, and we can't continue going for bombs on 3rd and 1 or 4th and short. Let's hope the Chiller can either wise up or turn over play calling duties to someone better suited. Like Helen Keller!

Ok, enough with the negative. How about the good.

Special teams - Longwell and Kluwe are pretty solid, giving us not much to worry about when it comes to the team legs. Moore and Bethel should continue to be good threats on returns. Moore especially.

Running game - Hopefully Moore will see more carries and our right side of the line will improve to give us the possibility of two thousand yard backs. That obviously being Moore and Taylor. Moore has shown me over and over he's got the skill, just as long as he's healthy. Fason also gets it down when short yardage situations are present. Also, Tony Richardson is still a beast.

Run defense - We will be getting back Chad Greenway who is a tackling monster and we still have two of the best defensive tackles in the game. If Leber and Henderson keep learning, we could be just as dominant, if not more, than last year. Now if only we could somehow pick up Sean Taylor to help out Winfield in secondary tackling...

So what do you guys think?

Missing anything we need to address OTHER THAN the tight end position? The reason I didn't mention it is because I still firmly believe Wiggins is a great receiving TE. Plus, Kleinsasser can take care of the blocking aspect.

So what else should we go after?


Sorry for being a participant in hijacking your thread baumy, carry on.

NodakPaul
02-12-2007, 09:04 AM
"freaky" wrote:


fair call del rio...
i do think the expectation has been too high for him though..said or unsaid..
he's played 2 years, once off the bench & next year starting strongside..(which says enough)
i just think far too many people are quick to condemn a guy with talent..especially now he's in a system that no wideout can flourish..
rightly or wrongy, i think he's been one of the scapegoats for some bigger issues..
i respect your criticism though




LOL, so I am guessing that Prophet didn't make a new friend here today. ;D

Just to weigh in on the TW debate, I actually tend to agree with freaky.
TW made some progress in his first year, but was thrust into the number 1 position long before was ready for it.
That is one of my biggest criticisms of Childress this year.
The jump from bench to number 1 is pretty gol 'darnit big.

However, regardless of the reasons, when you look at our offense last year, I think our lack of scoring can be attributed primarily to the WR Corps.
They couldn't get open, they dropped balls, and they didn't make YAC when they needed to.
But I blame the coaching staff for this more than anything else.
Hopefully this year they can secure a decent number 1 (and number 2) WR, and let Twill play from the bench again until his confidence returns.
If it ever does...

Side note:
This is why I was, and always will be, adamant about waiting to start skill position players until they are ready.
The same thing that happened to TWill could have (or still could) happen to TJack if we are not careful...
Talent alone isn't enough to make it in the NFL.

Del Rio
02-12-2007, 09:20 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:


"freaky" wrote:


fair call del rio...
i do think the expectation has been too high for him though..said or unsaid..
he's played 2 years, once off the bench & next year starting strongside..(which says enough)
i just think far too many people are quick to condemn a guy with talent..especially now he's in a system that no wideout can flourish..
rightly or wrongy, i think he's been one of the scapegoats for some bigger issues..
i respect your criticism though




LOL, so I am guessing that Prophet didn't make a new friend here today. ;D

Just to weigh in on the TW debate, I actually tend to agree with freaky.
TW made some progress in his first year, but was thrust into the number 1 position long before was ready for it.
That is one of my biggest criticisms of Childress this year.
The jump from bench to number 1 is pretty gol 'darnit big.

However, regardless of the reasons, when you look at our offense last year, I think our lack of scoring can be attributed primarily to the WR Corps.
They couldn't get open, they dropped balls, and they didn't make YAC when they needed to.
But I blame the coaching staff for this more than anything else.
Hopefully this year they can secure a decent number 1 (and number 2) WR, and let Twill play from the bench again until his confidence returns.
If it ever does...

Side note:
This is why I was, and always will be, adamant about waiting to start skill position players until they are ready.
The same thing that happened to TWill could have (or still could) happen to TJack if we are not careful...
Talent alone isn't enough to make it in the NFL.


If a guys problem is catching footballs in game situations then how do you know he is ready unless you put him in game situations?

He was catching balls in and after practice even doing so on his own.

It's too easy to say "when they are ready" practice and games are two different things, and sometimes people will not improve until they get the heightened level of experience that comes from a game time situation.

It is almost like two different levels of difficulty, level 1 and level 2. You may have mastered level 1, but you can't get a feel for level 2. No matter how much you stay at level 1 it will never prepare you for the advanced situation.

I think Troy Williamson fits into this label. It's time for him to shit or get off the pot.

ultravikingfan
02-12-2007, 02:51 PM
"freaky" wrote:


oh whatever muppet! so you give every player one year as a rookie n then the next year they must be good enough? lol...we would barely have a team by that that rate


LMFAO!

Did Prophet just get hit with a "muppet" bomb?

OMG...I am dying here!
Freaky, that is some funny pooh there!

What's next?
A Punky Brewster reference?

BadlandsVikings
02-12-2007, 03:00 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:


"freaky" wrote:


oh whatever muppet! so you give every player one year as a rookie n then the next year they must be good enough? lol...we would barely have a team by that that rate


LMFAO!

Did Prophet just get hit with a "muppet" bomb?

OMG...I am dying here!
Freaky, that is some funny pooh there!

What's next?
A Punky Brewster reference?


http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8b/StatlerAndWaldorf.jpg

- Just when you think this show is terrible, something wonderful happens.
- What?
- It ends.

cajunvike
02-12-2007, 03:37 PM
"Del" wrote:


"freaky" wrote:


you have evidence to substantiate he drops the ball in the nfl, but u overlook the evidence to support he can catch as shown in college on countless occasions. would we draft a guy at number 7 who so blatantly (as you say) cannot catch? or are u suggesting he has had a hand transplant?


Troy Williamson has always dropped footballs. That was his biggest negative in the draft that he could not catch very well and Mike Tice said the famous "You can teach a guy how to catch, but you cannot teach speed"

This will be his third year I don't know how many years a guy is a rookie in your book of fandom, but apparently if you like the guy he gets at least three years to be called a rookie.

At no point in the season was he called on to carry the load. He wasn't thrown to more then our other WR's he wasn't thrown to more then our RB's. So what he was occassionaly called upon to run a deep route, I have no idea how that translates into carrying the load on offense.

I wouldn't call him a bust. I wouldn't call him an NFL caliber WR either. His chances are running thin, and you can tell that when Childress set him out, kept talking about how they had his eyes checked, and basically kept telling everyone it was Troys mindset....that his days are numbered here if he cannot catch the ball.

If someone says "I think he is a bust" and you do not. It is enough to say "I think he is not a bust." Why make pooh up to try and convince someone you are right? Especially when the pooh you make up is so obviously wrong?


We need to hire Marques Colston's college position coach...some of those drills that I heard described seemed to be just crazy enough to work!
They sure worked on Marques!!!

jargomcfargo
02-12-2007, 04:50 PM
"baumy300" wrote:


Pass Rush - Our run defense is more than acceptable, but without a pass rush it doesn't matter how talented our secondary is. I can basically count the number of sacks we had this year on my d*ck and still have one left over! Until we can establish some kind of pass rush (mostly from our ends) we are going to continue letting our secondary take a beating Tina Turner style. Getting a scheme going where our LB's blitz more often would help also. Potential helpers would be Dwight Freeney, who seems to be a long shot or Quentin Moses. Some say Jamaal Anderson, but I say Moses is the best bet. Don't laugh, he's for real.

Receivers - Oh God how bad we need play makers at this position. Troy "I couldn't catch STD's from Anna Nicole" Williamson has proven he has the potentia, but not the consistency leaves us with no other choice but to make him a number 4, possibly number 3 until he proves otherwise. Word is T. Taylor could be on the way out. If so, Drew Bennett could be an alright choice, but preferably Sidney Rice or Harry Douglas should be available in the 2nd round. Both are very good. I would even be pleased if we snag Dwayne Jarrett in the 1st round, and Rice, Meachum, or Douglas in the 2nd. Calvin Johnson would be a great pick up, but probably won't be available for us.

Right side of the line - Possibly Marcus Johnson could come around, but I won't hold my breath. I say a free agent pickup would be best in this situation. Ryan Cook could also fill in and do decent. This is a pretty big concern for us and hopefully the front office plays it smart and finds us a decent FA to fill in one of the spots, because Cook, Hicks, and Johnson are all iffy.

Coaching/Play Calling - Nothing here will happen, but something should. Childress and his one dimensional offense should be switched up. Chester can't carry continue to carry the ball 30+ times a game, and we can't continue going for bombs on 3rd and 1 or 4th and short. Let's hope the Chiller can either wise up or turn over play calling duties to someone better suited. Like Helen Keller!

Ok, enough with the negative. How about the good.

Special teams - Longwell and Kluwe are pretty solid, giving us not much to worry about when it comes to the team legs. Moore and Bethel should continue to be good threats on returns. Moore especially.

Running game - Hopefully Moore will see more carries and our right side of the line will improve to give us the possibility of two thousand yard backs. That obviously being Moore and Taylor. Moore has shown me over and over he's got the skill, just as long as he's healthy. Fason also gets it down when short yardage situations are present. Also, Tony Richardson is still a beast.

Run defense - We will be getting back Chad Greenway who is a tackling monster and we still have two of the best defensive tackles in the game. If Leber and Henderson keep learning, we could be just as dominant, if not more, than last year. Now if only we could somehow pick up Sean Taylor to help out Winfield in secondary tackling...

So what do you guys think?

Missing anything we need to address OTHER THAN the tight end position? The reason I didn't mention it is because I still firmly believe Wiggins is a great receiving TE. Plus, Kleinsasser can take care of the blocking aspect.

So what else should we go after?


Pass Rush

Tina wasn't beat that bad! Ike was just misunderstood!

I don't assume the return of Erasmus is going to be enough.However Buddy Ryan used to send more than could be blocked at times so we may see a little more agression with our new DC.

Receivers

Fixing the right side of the line could help but the way it stands right now is both tackles get beat too often and Hicks is porous. Makes it tough on the back staying in to block.
Childress didn't leave a back in to block on passing plays enough last year either.
I think a few designed roll outs could help a lot.

I don't think we need great receivers if we can run. They just need to get open, catch and BLOCK.

Special Teams

Longwell has liabilities that detract from his assets.
Sure he's accurate. But he's pretty iffy on long field goals.
The premise that the dome would help his kicking game seems false to me.
Out of 62 kickoffs last year he has 3
touchbacks. A virtual bottom of the league stat of 4.8% touchbacks.This puts a lot of pressure on the special teams coverage as well as the defense. Despite that, his accuracy makes him better than many we have had before.

The special teams coverage and blocking has been horrible! No more needs said.

Running Game

It all starts with stopping the run. I would be willing to give up a little run defense if we could get better on the pass defense.Sometimes that's the way it works.

I don't count on Greenway but it would be huge for the Vikings if he works out.


I don't want to say too much about who I would like to see drafted until after the combine.

moviking
02-12-2007, 07:43 PM
I think we need offensive line and wide receiver help big time!
Not that this is any kind of earth shattering view, most everyone else is in agreement with me on this one. As far as what I consider WR help, ohhhh anyone on say the Jr College level that can CATCH woudl be an improvement!

As far as the defensive line goes, if Erasmus comes back healthy and is the stud we all hoped he was going to be, I have a good feelign about the D-line with Frazier onboard. If I recall, early in the year we were getting alot of pressure with the blitz. For some reason startign with the New England game, we almost quit blitzing entirely. I think we can get pressure with this bunch, just needs a better pass rush scheme.

NodakPaul
02-12-2007, 07:53 PM
"moviking" wrote:


I think we need offensive line and wide receiver help big time!
Not that this is any kind of earth shattering view, most everyone else is in agreement with me on this one. As far as what I consider WR help, ohhhh anyone on say the Jr College level that can CATCH woudl be an improvement!

As far as the defensive line goes, if Erasmus comes back healthy and is the stud we all hoped he was going to be, I have a good feelign about the D-line with Frazier onboard. If I recall, early in the year we were getting alot of pressure with the blitz. For some reason startign with the New England game, we almost quit blitzing entirely. I think we can get pressure with this bunch, just needs a better pass rush scheme.


I think we quit blitzing because NE, and every team that followed, was picking us apart with short to medium timed passes over the middle.
We had to keep everyone off the line if we had any chance of stopping the passing game.
Of course, it turns out that we couldn't stop it anyway, so we may as well have blitzed... ;D

Purple Floyd
02-12-2007, 09:19 PM
I would start with a new Offensive line coach and a serious evaluation of the right side of the line and a close look at the left tackle. We gave McKinnie a huge contract and he had some major issues against several teams last year. They either need to replace the weak spots or put in a scheme that they can function in.

I see that daunte Stallworth is an unrestricted free agent this year. I am not sure how much money he is going to bring, but if childress likes bringing in Eagles, I would be willing to give this guy a shot after seeing him play last year.

We have had issues with the secondary for years and have tried retooling through the draft and free agency. I think we got a few good draft picks last year and hopefully we can see them develop into a good group.

If we fix the O.L we can get by with the QB's we have. However, if the right one was on the board at number 7 or if we had a chance at someone like Schaub I would give them serious consideration.

V-Unit
02-12-2007, 09:26 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:


"moviking" wrote:


I think we need offensive line and wide receiver help big time!
Not that this is any kind of earth shattering view, most everyone else is in agreement with me on this one. As far as what I consider WR help, ohhhh anyone on say the Jr College level that can CATCH woudl be an improvement!

As far as the defensive line goes, if Erasmus comes back healthy and is the stud we all hoped he was going to be, I have a good feelign about the D-line with Frazier onboard. If I recall, early in the year we were getting alot of pressure with the blitz. For some reason startign with the New England game, we almost quit blitzing entirely. I think we can get pressure with this bunch, just needs a better pass rush scheme.


I think we quit blitzing because NE, and every team that followed, was picking us apart with short to medium timed passes over the middle.
We had to keep everyone off the line if we had any chance of stopping the passing game.
Of course, it turns out that we couldn't stop it anyway, so we may as well have blitzed... ;D


From what I udnerstand, the Cover 2 isn't supposed to rely on the blitz in the first place. The D-Line simply was not good enough in the pass rush.