PDA

View Full Version : John Randle

cogitans
01-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Here's a little repeat to get through a monday in the offseason. Enjoy:

Randle (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7125729564269367466&q=john+randle+commercial)

Prophet
01-29-2007, 12:44 PM
lol, isn't that Caine?

NodakPaul
01-29-2007, 12:52 PM
God I love that commercial! I hadn't seen it in a while, so thanks for posting it!

My favorite part is always him grilling the chicken afterwards!

Mr. Purple
01-29-2007, 01:26 PM
The man! Love that commerical, makes me miss the freak!

AngloVike
01-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Ah the memories from that .. best part was all the fuss that PETA tried to stir up afterwards.... ;D

vikesoto
01-29-2007, 05:30 PM
Just another reminder of that magical 1998 season...

The next time we see Randle in the dome is HOPEFULLY when he get's put in the Ring of Honor..because HE BELONGS THERE !!!!!!!!

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5wvAgr5FPEYB9F.jzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12fp48f5h/EXP=1170199616/**http%3A//www.sportingnews.com/nfl/gallery/johnrandle-5371.jpg

http://archive.sportingnews.com/nfl/gallery/johnrandle-5372.jpg

http://archive.sportingnews.com/nfl/gallery/johnrandle-5374.jpg

NordicNed
01-29-2007, 05:37 PM
One hell of a player = Great commercial.... ;D

michaelmazid
01-29-2007, 06:09 PM
wow. bring back some sweet memories

vikes2456
01-29-2007, 06:15 PM
Man do I miss him, he is tied with Cris Carter for my favorite player of all time

Ltrey33
01-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Ha! Thanks for posting that...it's been a long time since I've seen it.

i_bleed_purple
01-29-2007, 08:13 PM
just out of curiosity why are randle's numbers so much brighter than everyone elses?

singersp
01-29-2007, 08:19 PM
Man, I loved watching that commercial & was sad when PETA made them take it off the airwaves in 1998.

It just one more reason to hate PETA.

"If that wasn't enough, PETA attacked ads featuring the National Football League's John Randle, who plays defensive tackle for the Minnesota Vikings. The commercial, paid for by Nike, shows Randle making a small football jersey emblazoned with a No. 4 similar to the one that Green Bay Packer quarterback Brett Favre wears. Randle then practices chasing the chicken around the field (Favre is known for his ability to take off running if he can’t find a receiver to throw to). The chicken keeps getting away from Randle until the finale where the audience sees Randle standing over a grill where he is preparing chicken.

PETA, of course, is horrified that the ad is running and wants it pulled immediately. In fact, PETA claims that "the commercial mimics what psychologists now see as a sign of criminal mentality, in that pleasure is apparently derived from trauma inflicted on a vulnerable animal." According to Newkirk, "Young people who see Randle as a role model may learn to associate the terror of defenseless chickens as a form of amusement."

http://www.animalrights.net/archives/year/1998/000065.html

The commercial won PETA's 1998 Litterbox Award;

Peta's 1998 Litterbox Award (http://www.peta.org/Living/AT-Spring1999/litter.html)

SCREW PETA!!

Ltrey33
01-29-2007, 08:51 PM
Oh my gosh...that's f-ing ridiculous. I hadn't even heard about that.

PacNWVike
01-29-2007, 08:52 PM
PETA...
what a bunch of morons.
My brother-in-law sells T-shirts that say, "PETA...
People Eating Tasty Animals..."
;D

singersp
01-29-2007, 08:57 PM
"Ltrey" wrote:

Oh my gosh...that's f-ing ridiculous. I hadn't even heard about that.

Yeah, that's why it was jerked. It wasn't on for very long. If I recall correctly, it previewed on MNF, but it was right before a Vikings-Packers game.

mountainviking
01-29-2007, 10:06 PM
LOL ;D

I had completely forgotten that commercial!

BerkleeVikesFan80
01-29-2007, 10:09 PM
does anyone have a highlight video of him? he was one of my favorites, him and good ol #80.

sandviking
01-29-2007, 11:08 PM
That commercial rocked!
ESPN's Andrea Kramer did a piece on distracting the quarterback in the huddle around the same time, and it featured John Randle in the background trying to distract her from doing her story.
It was hilarious!

AngloVike
01-30-2007, 03:43 PM
"singersp" wrote:

PETA, of course, is horrified that the ad is running and wants it pulled immediately. In fact, PETA claims that "the commercial mimics what psychologists now see as a sign of criminal mentality, in that pleasure is apparently derived from trauma inflicted on a vulnerable animal." According to Newkirk, "Young people who see Randle as a role model may learn to associate the terror of defenseless chickens as a form of amusement."

yep I was thinking that the other day as I was lining up to order my bargain bucket and zinger tower

;D

singersp
01-30-2007, 05:30 PM
"AngloVike" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

yep I was thinking that the other day as I was lining up to order my bargain bucket and zinger tower

;D

??? Were you at a low class stripper bar?

MVIKING7
01-31-2007, 09:27 PM
Without letting your "purpleness" get in the way, how many of you feel Randle belongs in the HOF?

SKOL
01-31-2007, 09:36 PM
My Purpleness aside, Randle's statistics say he belongs in the HOF:

Randle left the NFL tied with Richard Dent for 5th in number of career sacks, and his 137.5 career sacks is the most by a defensive tackle in NFL history. Over his career he was named to 7 pro bowl squads. He was named to the NFL 1990s All-Decade Team.
He was named All Tackle Machine of 1999 by Tackle The Magazine.

PacNWVike
02-02-2007, 04:57 PM
"SKOL" wrote:

My Purpleness aside, Randle's statistics say he belongs in the HOF:

Randle left the NFL tied with Richard Dent for 5th in number of career sacks, and his 137.5 career sacks is the most by a defensive tackle in NFL history. Over his career he was named to 7 pro bowl squads. He was named to the NFL 1990s All-Decade Team.
He was named All Tackle Machine of 1999 by Tackle The Magazine.

Here here!!!
I was very sorry to see him go to Seattle.
More "Denny Grenn Damage..."

tke0933
02-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Randle was another in the long line of better than average(dare I say great) defensive linemen that the Vikes have produced?

cajunvike
02-02-2007, 06:06 PM
"MVIKING7" wrote:

Without letting your "purpleness" get in the way, how many of you feel Randle belongs in the HOF?

He belongs!
PERIOD!!!

vikesoto
02-02-2007, 06:40 PM
Absolutely he belngs in the HOF....

What he has going for him that "seems" to matter, is charisma. He was a character which will help the old buzzard voters remember him. I feel he "may" wait a while though.It seems every generation of the Vikings has a d-lineman who "SHOULD" be in the HOF. During the 60's and 70's, it's Jim Marshall. In the 80's it's Chris Doleman. Now the 90's has John Randle. Hopefully one day they'll ALL have their moment in Canton...

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g27/lisadeering/Viking_helmet.jpg

wv__viking__fan
02-04-2007, 10:32 AM
My all-time favorite Viking.
I miss Big John.

purpleFavreEaters
02-04-2007, 12:32 PM
I was at Dicks Sporting goods the other day in Burnsville mall and they had Randle NFL Legends jerseys for sale. It was crazy. I did not pick one up as I allready own a official jersey from when he played here but I thought it was weird they where producing his jersey in a special line like that. Very cool to see he is getting props though after all those years of hard work. I am sure they still have some there if anyone want sto go pick one up, they had like 25 of them.

nephilimstorm
02-04-2007, 01:15 PM
I sure oved John Randle...him and Jack Del Rio where great combo at one time.

VikingD24
02-05-2007, 05:26 PM
I belive he will get in but I dont think it will happen for a while. The voters are too busy putting in all the Michael Irvin's and Steve Young's right now. I think it will be 5 years from now when the voters go: "Oh John Randle...yea I remember him..."

It would be a shame if that happens, dynamic player, played with alot of emotion, was exciting to watch, wasnt arrogant, and gave back to the community.

Oh yea...his stats back him up too.

Who could forget that eye-black design though?