PDA

View Full Version : Wilf stands strong behind Childress

singersp
12-25-2006, 09:51 AM
Sid Hartman: Wilf stands strong behind Childress (http://www.startribune.com/507/story/896544.html)

The Vikings owner says he's confident that the coach and the team are taking the right steps for the future. "We will find a way to win," he said.

By Sid Hartman, Star Tribune
Last update: December 24, 2006 – 7:11 PM

vikes09
12-25-2006, 10:30 AM
finally a article that isnt tearing down childress! heres to a winning 2007-08 season with childress!!!

(oh yea, merry xmas!)

sleepagent
12-25-2006, 11:28 AM
When the PRE-season started, I liked the "Team" atmosphere that BC was building, but my confidence was shaken when he started acting like a shaken lunatic by signing a player one day, cutting him the next, and chasing players that I didn't think were considerably better than what he already had in place.

He spent months creating a "Team" atmosphere and then he cut a chunk of those players & brought in others that missed all that "Team" building.
Now how much of that lead to this years results is pure speculation . . . but I didn't like it.

The article talks about players being more important that the system . . . and that is my whole problem with BC . . . he didn't seem to change things around his talent . . . he forced the system on them.

I hope this a just a bad year and we don't have another 3 or 4 years of mediocre play . . . like the Tice years . . . but I'm not sure anymore.

Ltrey33
12-25-2006, 12:06 PM
I think many of us are judging Childress prematurely. First of all, it's hard to judge any coach in his first year. Second of all, it's even HARDER to judge a first year coach in his first year.

I think sitting at 6-9 Brad knows he has to re-evaluate some things, and I think he probably will. Having a staff consisting of guys with no experience at their current positions has hurt a lot this year.

I think we have talented coaches who KNOW what to do but are too immature in a coaching sense to implement it. I think after they look back at this season and spend another offseason implementing their plan they will grow a bit more.

I support Childress because I think he has us on the right track, but he MUST fix the mistakes he's made this year if we want to get better next year. I'm hoping that comes with experience.

Purple Floyd
12-25-2006, 12:46 PM
I think it is a big red flag if the coach is bringing in staff to fill positions if they are not ready to fill them on day 1. This is the NFL not D-III.

I for one thought that he was on the right track at first, but by game 4 it was obvious that while the other first year coaches were starting to have their teams come together and execute, the vikings were staying flat and maybe even regressing. When others said that the team would come together soon, I knew that if they didn't have it together by then, it was probably not going to happen.

Like Tice or not, when something on the team sucked, he said it sucked. He didn't say that it would be kickass if the players did their job. I don't think he has a grasp on talent evaluation as witnessed by the amount of players he brings in and then cuts and my guess is that he has probably lost a good chunk of the locker room. And when you lose the locker room, it is going to be darn hard to win it back.

Ltrey33
12-25-2006, 01:43 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

I think it is a big red flag if the coach is bringing in staff to fill positions if they are not ready to fill them on day 1. This is the NFL not D-III.

I for one thought that he was on the right track at first, but by game 4 it was obvious that while the other first year coaches were starting to have their teams come together and execute, the vikings were staying flat and maybe even regressing. When others said that the team would come together soon, I knew that if they didn't have it together by then, it was probably not going to happen.

Like Tice or not, when something on the team sucked, he said it sucked. He didn't say that it would be kickass if the players did their job. I don't think he has a grasp on talent evaluation as witnessed by the amount of players he brings in and then cuts and my guess is that he has probably lost a good chunk of the locker room. And when you lose the locker room, it is going to be darn hard to win it back.

I don't necessarily think that you can say he doesn't have a good grasp of who is talented and who isn't. So far all of his signings have done pretty well, and most of them much better than we initially thought. Leber, Hutchinson, Taylor, Smith...they've at the VERY LEAST been solid, if not huge contributors. It's a little early to evaluate his draft, but Ray Edwards had the most consistent season of any of our DEs, Cedric Griffin played well enough to start by the end of the year, Cook had a pretty good season for a rookie (false starts not withstanding), Tarvaris looked great in preseason and is supposedly "the future" and we never even got to see Greenway. I'd say if 4/7 or 5/7 picks pan out to be starters or solid role players that is a pretty good percentage.

I think his talent evaluation has been pretty good thus far.

Big C
12-25-2006, 05:05 PM
I was hoping for a 9-7 record before the season began but will settle for 7-9 or (gulp) even 6-10. If nothing else, Childress has brought consistency to the team. The only team to blow us out was the Patriots. His philosophy has the team in the game till the last minute. Most of our losses can be attributed to poor execution on offense. 66% of turnovers from the QB position?! I mean come on! Additionally the offensive line was average at best.

If Chilli addresses the following next season I will be happy no matter what the record is:
1. Adjust the fucking playbook to suit Tarvaris. Like Deion Snaders said, "Man, just do what you do". Tarvaris was shackled by the playcalling against the Pack.

2. Utilize the talent you have. Mewelde Moore is no Reggie Bush but he IS a playmaker. He proves that EVERY SINGLE WEEK with the limited playtime. It is such a shame to see us giving reps to Pinner and Fason when MeMo has such big-play ability. We are going to regret the day Moore signs with another team when his contract expires.

3. Get a #1 WR from free agency. We cannot afford to wait for another #1 draft pick to develop. Tarvaris needs somone who can run routes AND catch balls. Koren's suspension this year hurt the team (and Childress) more than we ever imagined. Marcus Robinson gave us that, but in bursts as he struggled to stay on the field.

4. Have a better draft. None of the draftees other than Cedric Griffin had any impact on the season.

VikesfaninWis
12-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Good to see that our owner is backing the HC.. I am not
a 100% Brad Childress backer, but I believe that he needs more then 1 year to prove himself.. He is doing what he believes is the best for the team, and we can't fault him for that.. He has already stated that he may do a change in the playcalling, so that is a step in the right direction..

We will wait it out for next season.. We will see what kind of draft we will have without that putz Fran Foley, and we will see how agressive the Vikes are in FA.. Put that tpgether with the mini camps, and training camps, and see what we have.. If he puts a winning team on the field, we can say that he needed time to adjust.. If he puts a losing team on the field, it will be time to say goodbye to him..

HornedHat
12-25-2006, 06:43 PM
I'd like to see how our draft would go w/o Foley. The problem is we got another PROVEN schmuck in Rick Speilman. This guy totally screwed the Dolphins drafts, now he is in our TOA! I'm a hopin he just empties the ashtrays on draft day.

Ltrey33
12-25-2006, 07:06 PM
"HornedHat" wrote:

I'd like to see how our draft would go w/o Foley. The problem is we got another PROVEN schmuck in Rick Speilman. This guy totally screwed the Dolphins drafts, now he is in our TOA! I'm a hopin he just empties the ashtrays on draft day.

I don't think the personnel decisions have been awful so far under Childress, in fact I think most of them are pretty good, but I shuddered when I heard we hired Spielman. The man worked for the Bears (when they sucked), the Lions (when they sucked and had Barry Sanders) and for the Dolphins (when they sucked).

CyVikeFan
12-25-2006, 10:34 PM
Rookie year = Rookie mistakes.

I'm not gonna throw the towel in on Chill yet.
Yeah, I don't agree with some of his decisions either, but I trust that he knows what he's doing and will have something productive going for next year.
Was it not Childress and Co. that helped build THE top rush defense in the NFL this year?
I believe the best of the Vikings are yet to come.

FreakinVikingsBaby
12-25-2006, 11:15 PM
I have faith in childress, but this recent incident with Marcus Robinson and benching BJ right after he said we don't talk has me a little speculative. If an offensive coardinator isn't signed before next year, I will be doubtful of him going into the season. That being said, it is his first year, and we aren't in the locker room so we don't know the whole story behind the first two things I mentioned. Next year will be, well, interesting to say the least. I honestly don't know what to expect. I see playoffs as a definite possibility and yet I wouldn't be suprised to end up drafting in the top 10. I can't ever remember going into another season with so much uncertainty. Then again, I'm a 98'er.

FreakinVikingsBaby
12-25-2006, 11:21 PM
One more thing, I have always thought, just never stated, that Tice would be a great draft guy. We always seemed to have great drafts with him, and would always get a steal in somewhere. Just a thougt-one that was there but defintley provoked when I heard we're hiring Spielman

bearitall
12-25-2006, 11:57 PM
I think that we as fans need to support our coach because he is in charge of our team.
Unfortuantely we didn't have a winning season with him but neither did 4 of the last 6 HC's.
Fans/players are not going to always agree with the coaches choices but we still need to support him.
I give him a free pass for the first year.

My concern is his repoire with the players.
You can't build respect with your team if you don't talk to them.
There has to be open communication.
If coack doesn't like them on a personal level, he needs to look past that and look towards their professional playing abilities.

singersp
12-26-2006, 12:02 AM
"Ltrey" wrote:

I think sitting at 6-9 Brad knows he has to re-evaluate some things, and I think he probably will. Having a staff consisting of guys with no experience at their current positions has hurt a lot this year.

It should have been done long before we were 6-9.

douginc
12-26-2006, 02:12 AM
I would really like to know what ultimately happened to our D-backs coach Mr. Woods, I believe his name was.
Drunk driving - the exact same offense as K-Rob, which landed him immediately out on the street.
If anyone knows, I'd honestly love to know.

Now, I support that decision by Childress to kick K-Rob to the curb, even though I liked K-Rob on our team (legitimate #1 receiver).
If you'd care to send a strong message to the team, 'mess around and you're out - even if you're our #1 receiver', fine you've set your mark as a coach.
But if one of your personnel commits the same violation he should receive the same punishment.
I could imagine a lot of players losing respect for the coach if he pulled a double standard.

Plus, not to rip on Mr. Childress, since I'm not sure who's at fault, but terrific coordinators can make adjustments by halftime, sometimes sooner than that.
I didn't like that every week we came out and were trounced the exact same way by every team, making poor teams look like juggernauts by throwing all over us.

What on earth were they discussing in team meetings for over a month of games?
"Stay the course with our pass defense.
Wave your arms like you're open to the QB and maybe he'll think you're his receiver and throw the ball at you for an easy interception.
It works for elementary kids, I know, I saw it at the playground yesterday when I was drawing up plays."

Prophet
12-26-2006, 06:49 AM
Good to see Zygi is still behind him.
I'm still cautiously (more so than ever) optimistic about Childress.
The main reason I say this is because of the rumors floating around about him not talking to certain key players which is suspect.
There are many other problems, but all are not insurmountable.

Regarding the coaching staff, I have been very skeptical of Spielman...because I've heard very little good about him.
The latest team to get rid of him, the Dolphins, were laughing when the Vikings grabbed him.
Bevell is also one of the weakest links on the coaching staff.
I'm glad they got rid of Fred Flintsone (Foley) early in the year...but I am guessing and have my fingers crossed that Spielman and Bevell hit the soup lines early in the offseason with top-notch replacements coming in behind them.

Like I've said before, I don't buy into the doom and gloom scenarios.
The team has come around in the running game and owns the TOP category.
The defense is close to being a powerhouse.
They get the #1 penalized team in the league under control and fill in a few voids they could turn things around quickly.

I'm officially on the replace Bevell and Spielman bandwagon as of this moment.

whackthepack
12-26-2006, 08:10 AM
"FreakinVikingsBaby" wrote:

One more thing, I have always thought, just never stated, that Tice would be a great draft guy. We always seemed to have great drafts with him, and would always get a steal in somewhere. Just a thougt-one that was there but defintley provoked when I heard we're hiring Spielman

Tice was still the guy that was responsible for not getting picks on time and making the Viking's the laughing stock of the NFL 2 years in a row.

NodakPaul
12-26-2006, 08:40 AM
I am glad that Wilf is standing behind his coach.
A head coach needs two years to be fairly judged, especially a rookie head coach.

I hope Childress has a better run this year though.
I don't think Zygi is the type to wait more than one year for a winning team... And neither are the fans.

jargomcfargo
12-26-2006, 11:08 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"FreakinVikingsBaby" wrote:

Tice was still the guy that was responsible for not getting picks on time and making the Viking's the laughing stock of the NFL 2 years in a row.

Not only that; Childress was hampered with Tice picks that were bad.

Williamson

Can't catch. Picked in a spot where you should have a high probability of a blue chip player.

Marcus Johnson

Can't block.Can't count.

On the other hand I have to question Childress when he plays Hicks who wouldn't even make the team if I were coach.

I have been a big Childress supporter but he's starting to worry me a little.

There is a difference between calling a trick play and calling a creative game plan.
I saw some trick plays but I didn't see a lot of creativity.

I would like to see an offensive coordinator with some proven talent.

That wont happen unless Zigi wants it.

So I guess I'll just worry for now.

On a positive note; there is a very thin line between being successful and failing in this league. And I think the Vikings have a lot of positives to build off of.
If you had told me we would be able to stop the run on defense ,run the ball and win the time of posession battle on offense before the season started, I would have found it inconceivable that we would not make the play offs.

It still starts with the offensive line and that has to be fixed or we will not win.

singersp
12-26-2006, 11:19 AM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

There are no guarantees in the draft.

At the time of the draft, you can only base your choices on how they played in college, their attitude towards the game & you're best guess as to how well they can make the transition from the college level to the pros.

There have been many top 1st round rated players highly touted in the draft who couldn't make that transition in the pro's & play with the same type of success they had in college.

At the same time there have been many later round picks who have made that transition to the pros & have excelled & out done what they had achieved in college.

Sometimes, it's just a crap shoot.

Is it the player themselves? Is it the coaching they receive? Is it the type of offense or defensive scheme of the team they happen to end up with? Or is it some of all of the afore mentioned?

jargomcfargo
12-26-2006, 11:30 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

There are no guarantees in the draft.

At the time of the draft, you can only base your choices on how they played in college, their attitude towards the game & you're best guess as to how well they can make the transition from the college level to the pros.

There have been many top 1st round rated players highly touted in the draft who couldn't make that transition in the pro's & play with the same type of success they had in college.

At the same time there have been many later round picks who have made that transition to the pros & have excelled & out done what they had achieved in college.

Sometimes, it's just a crap shoot.

Is it the player themselves? Is it the coaching they receive? Is it the type of offense or defensive scheme of the team they happen to end up with? Or is it some of all of the afore mentioned?

Agreed! But Williamson was a wide receiver from a running team. That means Tice and crew gambled with a high pick.
A receiver with good stats from a passing offense may have been less of a gamble.

But like you say, it's all a crap shoot and you never know who will work out.

I don't blame Tice. I'm just trying to cut Childress a little slack for this first lackluster season.

Del Rio
12-26-2006, 11:37 AM
Wilf stands strong behind Childress..............

sounds bad....

ultravikingfan
12-26-2006, 11:38 AM
"Del" wrote:

Wilf stands strong behind Childress..............

sounds bad....

I guess it depends on what position Brad is assuming.

odogtriever
12-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Chilly will not adjust. He will not listen to his players,
and he has lost the respect of the locker room. If a player suggests concern over the offence, he just cuts them and has Spielman do the dirty work for him. Classless. I don't think our little Hitler will change.

Del Rio
12-26-2006, 11:43 AM
"odogtriever" wrote:

and he has lost the respect of the locker room. If a player suggests concern over the offence, he just cuts them and has Spielman do the dirty work for him. Classless. I don't think our little Hitler will change.

Probably less classless then someone refering to the coach of a game not listening to his players as one of the most hated figures in history that murdered thousands in a genocidal rage.

NodakPaul
12-26-2006, 11:43 AM
"odogtriever" wrote:

I haven't heard anything about him losing the respect of the locker room, nor do I think MRob was cut simply for "suggesting concern over the offense".
Let's hold off on comparing him to a mass murderer unless we have a little more solid information about the state of the team. ::)

NodakPaul
12-26-2006, 11:44 AM
gol 'darnit!
Del beat me by 30 seconds... I need to type faster. ;)

mnjamie
12-26-2006, 11:45 AM
"I can't remember any first-year coach here in any sport getting ripped liked Childress has."

Sid Hartman needs a new pairs of knee pads ... Suck this Sid !!

whackthepack
12-26-2006, 11:51 AM
"odogtriever" wrote:

That is a lot of assumptions.

Marcus Robinson is the one that said Childress wouldn't take his comments into account that doesn't mean he doesn't care what other players had to say.

Maybe Childress didn't think that Robinson was worth listening to.

Nobody knows the full extent of what Robinson did or said behind the scenes and maybe Marcus Robinson deserved to be cut you don't know any more than the rest of us!

Where is your proof that he has lost respect in the locker room and with his players?

Just signed McKinnie, K-Williams and EJ Henderson to long term deals who would all have been free agents and if it was as bad as you want to project why didn't they all go to FA and sign with a different team?

singersp
12-26-2006, 11:55 AM
"mnjamie" wrote:

"I can't remember any first-year coach here in any sport getting ripped liked Childress has."

Sid Hartman needs a new pairs of knee pads ... Suck this Sid !!

Can you say Les Steckel?
;)

CCthebest
12-26-2006, 03:11 PM
Remember, Childress got paid big money. Much more then Tice, or many other inexperienced HC's. He got to choose his own offense, and was able to sign anyone he wanted. He also came into the vikings with alot of solid veteran players. And he still failed miserably because he couldnt get his players to excute, nor did he have talent for picking WR's. He may not have thought he needed good WRs for this offense. And he certainly has no talent for picking QB's. Tjack should have had another year before starting as much as some wanted him to play.