PDA

View Full Version : Bennett out for the Houston game!

whackthepack
10-04-2004, 03:16 PM
Michael Bennett injured his Meniscus (? spelling) and is having surgery today to repair it. He will miss at least the Houston game, and possible the Saints game.

And word is that the league is trying to suspend Ontarrio Smith so that he can not play in the Houston game.

And Moe Williams is hurt and will not practice this week, but might be able to play against Houston.

whackthepack
10-04-2004, 03:20 PM
this is Kfan's website.

Bennett re-injures knee, has surgery
Last Update: 10/4/2004 1:54:12 PM

Tom Pelissero
KFAN dot com

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- Minnesota running back Michael Bennett will miss at least two more games after undergoing arthoscopic surgery Monday afternoon to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee.

Bennett, who hasn't played since spraining the same knee in an exhibition Aug. 27, extended an existing meniscal tear in his first fully-padded practice Thursday.

Minnesota coaches hope he will return Oct. 24 against Tennessee.

Del Rio
10-04-2004, 03:27 PM
Bring on Nedster

VikingsTw
10-04-2004, 03:31 PM
Ned and Moore hmmmmmmmmm. Damnit and i was so exited about bennett.

triedandtruevikesfan
10-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Well this is not good news!!! I heard that it was possible that the suspension will not be in time for O. Smith to miss the Houston game though. Well if this is the case the rookies will need to step up as well as our receiving game. I'm not really that worried about it, but I was really excited for Bennett to be back

little redhead
10-04-2004, 03:38 PM
Is anyone else starting to feel like Bennett won't ever be 100% healthy ever again? I know I am.

Del Rio
10-04-2004, 03:40 PM
I think if he is healthy he won't play like he has in the past. He will be too skeeered.

snowinapril
10-04-2004, 03:44 PM
"little redhead" wrote:

Is anyone else starting to feel like Bennett won't ever be 100% healthy ever again? I know I am.

I thought that about Robert Smith and he came back. ??????? Smith did well the last few seasons injury free.

Bring Back Robert Smith,

OK I'm an idiot.

enlvikeman
10-04-2004, 03:47 PM
Great...anyone else think Bennet will not be a Viking next year?

little redhead
10-04-2004, 03:52 PM
I don't think he will be here next year. But then again that depends if Onterrio stays away from the dope. If onterrio becomes a model citizen I think next year they will opt to go with Onterrio, Mewelde Moore and Larry Ned possibly. I think Mewelde with some more experience will be a really great running back.

Del Rio
10-04-2004, 04:03 PM
I fought the Bennett trade comitee earlier on these boards and tried to maintain that he is the one for us. But his future here is looking bad. I guess it all depends on how close he is to Tice. I mean Tice could let him go and then start feeling guilty and pick him back up like a certain kicker we know.

whackthepack
10-04-2004, 04:04 PM
"triedandtruevikesfan" wrote:

Well this is not good news!!! I heard that it was possible that the suspension will not be in time for O. Smith to miss the Houston game though. Well if this is the case the rookies will need to step up as well as our receiving game. I'm not really that worried about it, but I was really excited for Bennett to be back

That is what the Vikes and the media have been saying.

One guy I talked to gave Ontarrio 1% chance of playing against Houston, he said the league wants his suspension to start this week. They are not meeting until Wednesday and the normal procedure is that if they do not let the team know by Monday then the player gets to play.

But this is a rule not set in stone and they think this has gone on to long and want him to start this week.

I do not know if the Vikes have any recourse if they decide to suspend him for the game.

ADubya26
10-04-2004, 04:06 PM
Wow, is he juicing or something? I've never seen someone get hurt so many times before. There is no question in my mind we need to trade Bennett and hand on to Onterrio.

rjkvikings
10-04-2004, 04:08 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

And word is that the league is trying to suspend Ontarrio Smith so that he can not play in the Houston game.

Don't they have to tell the team pretty early in the week if a player is going to be suspended for a game?

whackthepack
10-04-2004, 04:08 PM
If Smith can not play and Moe is banged up, I hope that they give Mewelde a chance at some carries.

I know it was preseason, but it looked like he had something and I would like to see what he can do.

little redhead
10-04-2004, 04:12 PM
I also would like to see what Mewelde can do. I also thought he looked pretty good during preseason. It looked like he could potentially be something special.

snowinapril
10-04-2004, 04:12 PM
There is no upside to Bennett if he doesn't get a chance to perform this year. If he doesn't perform then you have to keep him. Can't let him go without getting something. 1st round or 2nd round pick plus a player. He won't command that this year, yet.

Del Rio
10-04-2004, 04:23 PM
I think Miami might sacrifice some goods for him. And a draft pick from them would be a great one to have.

Hell we will even throw in Ferotte so they have a real QB. They can just give us all their draft picks and we will give back the ones we don't use.

cajunvike
10-04-2004, 04:40 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I think Miami might sacrifice some goods for him. And a draft pick from them would be a great one to have.

Hell we will even throw in Ferotte so they have a real QB. They can just give us all their draft picks and we will give back the ones we don't use.

LOL...yeah, they will probably get more desperate as the season goes along, so some sort of deal with them might be doable...and maybe Miami will have an 0-16 season to go with that 17-0 season that they are all so proud about...which would give the Vikes GREAT draft position...HAHA!!!!

vikings_fan66
10-04-2004, 04:41 PM
Oh well .....now we well get a chance to see medwale play and im excited to see larry ned get a chance

RandyMoss8404
10-04-2004, 04:49 PM
This might be a good thing

Maybe, if our running game is obsolete, we may be forced to - gasp - go deep to Randy Moss

Del Rio
10-04-2004, 05:01 PM
I don't think our running game will be non-existent. One thing I like about an interview I saw with Tice is he laughed at the reporter and said I'm a damn line coach of course we will run the ball and run it well.

Ned looked impressive in pre-season and Moore looked great as well. It will actually be fun to watch.

muchluv4smoot
10-04-2004, 05:15 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I don't think our running game will be non-existent. One thing I like about an interview I saw with Tice is he laughed at the reporter and said I'm a damn line coach of course we will run the ball and run it well.

Ned looked impressive in pre-season and Moore looked great as well. It will actually be fun to watch.

God, I hope we can scratch of few good bennett games together this year, so he is worth something on the trade market at the end of the year.

VKG4LFE
10-04-2004, 07:07 PM
F*&k!

SKOL
10-04-2004, 07:27 PM
On my way home from work this evening (6:00 pm), the report on KFAN was that Bennett could be out up to four weeks. Ouch. :cry:

cajunvike
10-04-2004, 07:35 PM
We won't need him in four weeks, when we get Onterrio back...I guess that we will have to make do...and rely on the passing game more...by throwing some of those bombs that everyone here keeps calling for. It would be fun to watch, that's for sure.

HarrisonB57
10-04-2004, 07:45 PM
anyone think maybe their practices are going too hard. Yeah, thats great and all during 2-a-days. With so many guys getting hurt, maybe things need to be taken down a notch. Or maybe we have had just bad luck.

LosAngelis
10-04-2004, 09:10 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

OK I'm an idiot.

No. Someone else beat you to that honor on this site. :D

sdvikefan
10-04-2004, 09:25 PM
lol...this is unbelieveable. Just our luck. Well good thing we have 5 RBs. I really hope that by November we can have the injury problem behind us.

Good thing is, Houston has a terrible pass defense so we should still be able to take advantage of that.

cajunvike
10-04-2004, 09:38 PM
"sdvikefan" wrote:

lol...this is unbelieveable. Just our luck. Well good thing we have 5 RBs. I really hope that by November we can have the injury problem behind us.

Good thing is, Houston has a terrible pass defense so we should still be able to take advantage of that.

And finally throw some of those bombs that everyone here has been waiting for...Culpepper drops back...Moss is streaking down the right sideline...the pass is like a laser, headed straight for the right corner of the end zone...Moss leaps over the defender...and snags the ball right out of the air as he strides into the end zone...the crowd goes wild as Moss seeks out yet another special needs fan to bestow a game ball upon.

GO VIKES!!!!

sdvikefan
10-04-2004, 10:03 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"sdvikefan" wrote:

And finally throw some of those bombs that everyone here has been waiting for...Culpepper drops back...Moss is streaking down the right sideline...the pass is like a laser, headed straight for the right corner of the end zone...Moss leaps over the defender...and snags the ball right out of the air as he strides into the end zone...the crowd goes wild as Moss seeks out yet another special needs fan to bestow a game ball upon.

GO VIKES!!!!

Yes we should see more of that this weekend, except for the crowd going wild part!

snowinapril
10-04-2004, 11:18 PM
I think there will some Viking noise there when we score.

I bet that place is littered with Moss jerseys.

I check for tickets for this game and there were none to be found (maybe some on Ebay, didn't look there). It is that much of a demand. There are a lot of displaced Vike fans here in TX.

We have atleast one poster that is going. We better hear his voice screaming.

jackyl
10-04-2004, 11:23 PM
I'll be there in my 56 jersey.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/jackyl_c4/Pictures/foreman_holmes_chiefs_slide.jpg

Jarhead
10-04-2004, 11:33 PM
I know this thread is 3 pages long already but I just saw it.

Holy crap! I've been pretty easy on Bennet and his injuries so far but I'm getting ready to call him injury prone now. This is getting ridiculous. I can understand the stress fracture, it sucks but crap happens. I can understand the sprained knee, he took a helmet to the knee cap, he/we are lucky he didn't end up like McGahee. But this getting to be too much. Half the season will be over before he plays a down.

snowinapril
10-04-2004, 11:48 PM
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- Minnesota Vikings running back Michael Bennett will miss at least two more games and could miss up to four weeks after undergoing arthroscopic surgery Monday to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee.

Michael Bennett
Bennett

Bennett, who hasn't played since spraining the knee in an Aug. 27 preseason game, reinjured the knee in his first fully padded practice Thursday when he was hit by rookie linebacker Dontarrious Thomas.

The injury was expected to push back his season debut until Oct. 24 against Tennessee. He was re-injured in Minnesota's lone bye week.

"We could try to rush him back and have him for New Orleans [on Oct. 17]," coach Mike Tice said. "I think we're better served to hold him out until Tennessee."

Bennett, a fourth-year back out of Wisconsin, rushed for 1,296 yards in 2002 but has been plagued by injuries the last two seasons.

Bennett returned to practice two weeks ago, but he was held out of the Vikings' game Sept. 26 as a precaution.

Heck why didn't we just play the guy instead of babying him back. Atleast we would have gotten one game out of him.

Obviously Tice has confidence in all of his players. He is in no hurry to get the players back after injuries.

snowinapril
10-04-2004, 11:51 PM
[quote="jackyl"]I'll be there in my 56 jersey.

He had a nice TD last week huh Jackyl.

We aren't going to take it easy on him because his dad was a super cool Viking.

Have fun at the game.

Odin VAVikefan
10-05-2004, 12:20 AM

GO VIKES!!!!

...crowd grows horrified as the special needs fan, mistaking Randy Moss for the concessions guy, proceeds to eat the football... :tongue:

dan3ski
10-05-2004, 12:38 AM
All I want to know is if Bennett does come back and does well how many of you will still want to trade him?

cajunvike
10-05-2004, 12:45 AM
"Odin VAVikefan" wrote:

GO VIKES!!!!

...crowd grows horrified as the special needs fan, mistaking Randy Moss for the concessions guy, proceeds to eat the football... :tongue:

Aw man, give the special needs fan a break, the crowd noise was so loud that when Randy said, "Here's the ball, dawg", the poor fan thought he said, "Here's a hot dog"...Any Packer fan would have made the same mistake!

Odin VAVikefan
10-05-2004, 12:48 AM
ROFL Cajun!

cajunvike
10-05-2004, 01:05 AM
With relish...

VikingsTw
10-05-2004, 01:09 AM
Ahhh i hate to see this and i hate to call bennett injury prone but its damn near that point. If he misses two more weaks at the least he will still have 11 games to play thats not bad if he gets back against tenessee. It isnt as bad as it seams. If he comes back for the titans game and gets hurt i'm done, i've had enough. He knows the offense really well and will suceed if he stays healthy. He may come back and be fine but it seems like its been so long since i have seen him break a long run. I just wish onterrio wasnt goin to get suspended cause i'm all for him right now. Bennett could change my mind if he comes back strong but O Smith is getting the job done and getting it done well.

With the way hes been injured we would be lucky to get a third round draft pick for him.

VikingsTw
10-05-2004, 01:10 AM
Well maybe a second i take that back, but a team would have to take a chance.

cajunvike
10-05-2004, 01:12 AM
The third round is one round higher that the round that we got both Onterrio and Mewelde...if SOD can be an effective starter, I am pretty sure that the Vikes can come up with a suitable backup in the third round next year...not that I am advocating getting rid of Bennett...but that would solve the parallel contracts problem.

VikingsTw
10-05-2004, 01:23 AM
Thats true, good point. Theres is plenty of good back goin in the later rounds these days.

snowinapril
10-05-2004, 02:14 AM
For the record I am still for keeping him.

VikingsTw
10-05-2004, 02:24 AM
Me too. But i want to see some production quick. I am growing impatient. Luckily we have good back ups. Well in my mind Onterrio is our back, for now.

Nightgaunt
10-05-2004, 02:34 AM
Feed him to the sharks! I am so tired of his sorry ass getting hurt every time he gets hit.O.Smith is a better all around back then Bennet will ever dream of being. His time is done here im willing to bet, and day i hear he is traded i'll give a big old SKOL Viking!

hawaiianvike21
10-05-2004, 04:05 AM
Can anything go right for us???? :angryfire: All these damn injuries keep piling up, smith with his stupid suspension coming underway, bennett getting hurt again, etc. This is a whole load of bad luck for us. what did we do to earn all of this. :?

Pretty soon, ned will be the starting rb, withrow will be our starting center, hill will be the starting qb, cambell will be first receiver with the way all of these injuries and bad luck that seem to keep piling up on us. :evil:

cajunvike
10-05-2004, 09:22 AM
"hawaiianvike21" wrote:

Can anything go right for us???? :angryfire: All these damn injuries keep piling up, smith with his stupid suspension coming underway, bennett getting hurt again, etc. This is a whole load of bad luck for us. what did we do to earn all of this. :?

Pretty soon, ned will be the starting rb, withrow will be our starting center, hill will be the starting qb, cambell will be first receiver with the way all of these injuries and bad luck that seem to keep piling up on us. :evil:

God forbid that it come to that...hopefully, if injuries have to keep happening, they affect other teams not ours (I don't wish for any to happen, but if they HAVE to, let it be somewhere else)...I wouldn't mind seeing some of the so-called "top" teams having to deal with some of the issues that the Vikes have had to deal with so far, level the playing field so to speak...again, not wishing injuries on anyone.

whackthepack
10-05-2004, 09:50 AM
I had not seen this earlier, but this explains how Bennett got hurt. What the f*ck is Tice thinking? Our feature back is hurt, so lets beat the f*uck out of him and hurt him again!!!!!
:angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

Notebook: Birk probable for Houston game
Last Update: 9/30/2004 5:10:20 PM

Tom Pelissero
KFAN dot com

EDEN PRAIRIE – Center Matt Birk is expected to play in the Vikings’ next game despite a high-ankle sprain suffered in Sunday’s win over Chicago.

The three-time Pro Bowl selection will return to practice Monday, and likely will be listed as probable for Oct. 10 at Houston, head coach Mike Tice said Thursday.

“So far, I’m happy with the progress,” Birk said. “Every day, it seems to be a little bit better.”

Birk was injured in the second quarter of the Vikings’ 27-22 win over Chicago when a Bears defender rolled into his leg. He returned the game for a series, but left for good when the ankle stiffened and swelled at halftime.

Backup Cory Withrow replaced him.

BENNETT GETS BANGED AROUND

Running back Michael Bennett participated Thursday in his first fully-padded practice since spraining the medial collateral ligament and anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee Aug. 27.

Tice made certain that Bennett’s teammates “beat him up pretty good.”

“We’re going to make sure he wakes up (Friday) pretty sore,” Tice said. “That’s real important for his confidence.”

Bennett, who missed eight games last season with foot and ankle injuries, will make his season debut against Houston. He rushed for a team-high 115 yards on 20 carries (5.8 average) before his injury in the Vikings’ third preseason game.

"(The knee) feels really good," Bennett said after practice. "Now I'm just going to go ice it, and get ready for next week."

It was Dontarious Thomas that hurt Bennett, guys lets hurt the other team and not or own players!
:shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking:

whackthepack
10-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Am I the only one that thought this sucked, that "beating him up pretty good" was not the right thing to do and what kind of a practice is Tice running.

If it was Randy Moss was coming off a knee injury would Tice have told the Dbacks to beat the hell out of Randy and see if he is ready for the game, hell no!!!!!!!

Del Rio
10-05-2004, 02:10 PM
I think he would have gotten hurt in the game if he hadn't got hurt in practice. People don't go light on him in the games.

But I agree with you he shouldn't have gone out of his way to put extra hits on him, but at the same time I wouldn't baby him either

casper
10-05-2004, 02:21 PM
Hey lets all have a time out for a few sec's here...man I am upset but what can we do take him out back and shoot him like the dead horse he is or hope that he recovers to 100% and can earn his spot on the team heck if all goes well mybe he will play this year who knows but for him not to be able to even take the practice hits man what is the deal....lets just hope he does something this year

SKOL VIKING FANS this is our year....

VikingsTw
10-05-2004, 02:50 PM
Listen guys, casper is right hes not a horse we cant just shoot him. If he misses two games he will be back for ELEVEN GAMES thats alot of games.

I agree with what tice said about banging him around. He was held out for extra games and they thought he was 100% so they wanted him to get back into game shape. What if he didnt get hit at all during practice and went in the game. Yeah he would be fumbling and sh*t, all they were doing was tryin to get him back in game shape for sunday. In order for him to get back in shape he needed to be banged around in practice. I fully agree with Tice and if that injury was bound to happen it would have happened in the game and thats worse, better now then during the game. Talk about making adjustments. At least mewelde can take the reps in practice and get ready mentally.

whackthepack
10-05-2004, 03:23 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I think he would have gotten hurt in the game if he hadn't got hurt in practice. People don't go light on him in the games.

But I agree with you he shouldn't have gone out of his way to put extra hits on him, but at the same time I wouldn't baby him either

We don't know, he might have went through the rest of the season with out taking a hit in just the right way to cause this injury or it might of happened in his 1st game back.

I guess what really p*sses me off is that Tice seems giddy about it "we're going to make sure he wakes up pretty sore"

Haven't we had enough injuries? I would have been thinking lets make sure we don't put anymore of our star players out of any more games.

muchluv4smoot
10-05-2004, 03:42 PM
"dan3ski" wrote:

All I want to know is if Bennett does come back and does well how many of you will still want to trade him?

Me. We will have to choose either bennett or onterrio at the end of the year, and I would definitely take onterrio over bennett. Bennett is injury prone, something that can't be fixed. Onterrio likes the hooch, something that can be fixed. I hope bennett does come back and have some good games, otherwise he isn't gonna be worth anywhere near as much, in a trade, as onterrio will be.

cajunvike
10-05-2004, 04:15 PM
Tuesday, October 5, 2004

ESPN.com news services
MINNEAPOLIS -- Onterrio Smith, a key part of the Minnesota Vikings' 2-1 start, will miss the team's next four games as he serves a suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, the league announced Tuesday.

Onterrio Smith
Running Back
Minnesota Vikings

2004 SEASON STATISTICS
Rush Yds TD Rec Yds TD
42 198 0 15 223 1

Smith, who has been especially valuable this season as planned No. 1 back Michael Bennett recovers from a knee injury, opted to withdraw his appeal. The promoted rusher not only has run for 198 yards but also has a team-high 223 yards receiving.

Smith will forfeit $71,765 of his scheduled base salary of $305,000 for the 2004 season and will not be permitted to practice with or have contact with the Vikings until the suspension is lifted. He will be eligible to play again Nov. 8 at Indianapolis.

The sanctions against Smith, who learned in late August of his pending suspension but delayed the action by appealing it, was certainly anticipated. But the Vikings staff felt that Bennett would be back by now and that his return would soften the blow.

However, Bennett, a former Pro Bowl rusher who missed half the 2003 season while recovering from a foot injury that required surgery, re-injured his right knee in Thursday's practice before the Minnesota bye week. In what was the Vikings' first fully padded practice since the end of training camp, and perhaps the only one slated for in-season, Bennett twisted awkwardly in a pass-blocking drill and tore the lateral meniscus cartilage in his knee.

Bennett underwent surgery Monday to repair the tear, and he could miss four to six weeks -- and perhaps longer if the Vikings adopt a cautionary mode with him.

The combination of Smith's suspension and Bennett's surgery leaves veteran tailback Moe Williams atop the depth chart. But Williams, who started a career-high seven games in 2003, is currently receiving treatment for a strained left calf, also suffered in the team's Thursday practice.

Williams is adamant about being recovered in time for Sunday's matchup at Houston, against a resurgent Texans team that has won consecutive outings for the first time in the expansion club's history. If he is not ready, the starting job likely would fall to rookie Mewelde Moore, a fourth-round draft choice from Tulane.

Moore is a versatile player, one of the NCAA career leaders in all-purpose yardage, but has played primarily on special teams this season.

Only a few months ago, Minnesota head coach Mike Tice was answering questions about how he might be able to keep everyone in his well-stocked tailback stable happy. As Tice pointed out at the time, prophetically so, a team can never have enough good backs.

The fact is, the Vikings were fortunate to keep Smith on the field for as long as they did, particularly given the timing of his most recent drug violation. His appeal was delayed because the NFL could not carve out a date for it earlier in the season, so he and the Vikings essentially got some much-needed borrowed time.

However, with the appeal scheduled for this week, little chance of prevailing and a desire to put the matter behind him so he will be available for the second half of the year, Smith opted to accept the league ruling.

The former University of Oregon star is a talented back whose draft stock plummeted in 2003 because of a variety of off-field problems. Chosen by the Vikings in the fourth round, Smith was regarded as one of the true "steals" in the '03 lottery, and he validated that notion by leading all NFC rookies in rushing yards, with 579.

Information from ESPN.com senior NFL writer Len Pasquarelli and The Associated Press was used in this report.

Just thought that I would tack this on...to add insult to injury (no pun intended, as this is not funny).

cajunvike
10-05-2004, 04:18 PM
Only a few months ago, Minnesota head coach Mike Tice was answering questions about how he might be able to keep everyone in his well-stocked tailback stable happy. As Tice pointed out at the time, prophetically so, a team can never have enough good backs.

Maybe Tice isn't as dumb as some think he is...

ItalianStallion
10-05-2004, 05:34 PM
Bennett is turning out to be the next Fred Taylor. I am very impatient with him. These injuries are unreal.

dart18
10-05-2004, 06:05 PM
ok how bout this, if Bennett does not play in AT LEAST 9 games this year he should not be resigned unless he is cheap, Onterrio i hope has no more drug problems and gets the load as a prime time starter

rjkvikings
10-05-2004, 06:11 PM
Hey, I don't know if this will work, but if it does it pretty much symbolizes what happened... (Viking hurting Viking)
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/waffen/violent-smiley-012.gif

snowinapril
10-05-2004, 06:22 PM
That is a good representation. That is how I feel after reading about all the injuries..............like having my head smashed in.

VKG4LFE
10-05-2004, 06:36 PM
Screw the running backs! Play with a four wide set with a TE (whatever warm body TE we have left), keep Daunte in shotgun formation and give him the option to pass/run/rollout. Not that that's not what we do normally, but hey it could work!!

snowinapril
10-06-2004, 12:45 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

Am I the only one that thought this sucked, that "beating him up pretty good" was not the right thing to do and what kind of a practice is Tice running.

If it was Randy Moss was coming off a knee injury would Tice have told the Dbacks to beat the hell out of Randy and see if he is ready for the game, hell no!!!!!!!

The injury happened while he was pass blocking. That was Tice's response Monday during the press conference.

I think it came out of his mouth wrong last week after practice. He is not the best user of word.

I don't think they put him through anything other than normal full pad practice.

The other thing is Bennett like all athletes that want to play may have blown the injury off as his first day back and didn't make a big deal of it that day. Then Tice unknowing of the severity of the injury says what he said. If he would have know, he wouldn't have let those word slip out.

whackthepack
10-06-2004, 12:55 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

I had not seen this earlier, but this explains how Bennett got hurt. What the f*ck is Tice thinking? Our feature back is hurt, so lets beat the f*uck out of him and hurt him again!!!!!
:angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

Notebook: Birk probable for Houston game
Last Update: 9/30/2004 5:10:20 PM

Tom Pelissero
KFAN dot com

EDEN PRAIRIE – Center Matt Birk is expected to play in the Vikings’ next game despite a high-ankle sprain suffered in Sunday’s win over Chicago.

The three-time Pro Bowl selection will return to practice Monday, and likely will be listed as probable for Oct. 10 at Houston, head coach Mike Tice said Thursday.

“So far, I’m happy with the progress,” Birk said. “Every day, it seems to be a little bit better.”

Birk was injured in the second quarter of the Vikings’ 27-22 win over Chicago when a Bears defender rolled into his leg. He returned the game for a series, but left for good when the ankle stiffened and swelled at halftime.

Backup Cory Withrow replaced him.

BENNETT GETS BANGED AROUND

Running back Michael Bennett participated Thursday in his first fully-padded practice since spraining the medial collateral ligament and anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee Aug. 27.

Tice made certain that Bennett’s teammates “beat him up pretty good.”

“We’re going to make sure he wakes up (Friday) pretty sore,” Tice said. “That’s real important for his confidence.”

Bennett, who missed eight games last season with foot and ankle injuries, will make his season debut against Houston. He rushed for a team-high 115 yards on 20 carries (5.8 average) before his injury in the Vikings’ third preseason game.

"(The knee) feels really good," Bennett said after practice. "Now I'm just going to go ice it, and get ready for next week."

It was Dontarious Thomas that hurt Bennett, guys lets hurt the other team and not or own players!
:shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking:

seems to me they intended to beat him up abit!

With the problems we have had with injuries this season already, it makes no sence to me to have your feature back coming off a knee injury and have your own defense try and knock him around more than a normal practice.

casper
10-06-2004, 01:02 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Screw the running backs! Play with a four wide set with a TE (whatever warm body TE we have left), keep Daunte in shotgun formation and give him the option to pass/run/rollout. Not that that's not what we do normally, but hey it could work!!

Maybe :-k just maybe BUT #-o how do rookies get to make a name for them selfs :?: let see if MM and Ned can step up to the plate before we all bail on them...i mean its ONLY FOUR WEEKS ](*,)

cajunvike
10-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Don't panic guys, we still only have one loss (last time I checked)...if the passing game is on for the next two weeks, we should be 4-1 by then...nothing to panic about.

snowinapril
10-06-2004, 01:09 PM
It is not like our players were trying to injure him. They normally they probably wouldn't tackle him even in pads. Just like the QB wearing the Red jersey and not getting hit.

Tice is an idiot, he should have chosen better words and the writer of this story was swaying your opinion. You don't even know what the orig ? was. He was probably trying to give him a hard practice on Thurs so he could rest over the weekend and go easy all this week. Get the soreness out of the way so the week after the Texans it would be a little easier. Also, lets say the injury didn't happen. We go through the week and the Rooks don't take the week seriously expecting moe to be 3rd downand Bennett 1st and 2nd. If the injury would have happened during the game???? I think that the RBs needed the rep and to really get the opportunity to study for this game and the Blitz pick ups.

IF Tice really meant to Beat Bennett up he is a bigger idiot than I already said he was. I just think that the comment was taken out of context because no one can be that stupid.

So in a sense, I am agreeing with you.

casper
10-06-2004, 01:14 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

It is not like our players were trying to injure him. They normally they probably wouldn't tackle him even in pads. Just like the QB wearing the Red jersey and not getting hit.

Tice is an idiot, he should have chosen better words and the writer of this story was swaying your opinion. You don't even know what the orig ? was. He was probably trying to give him a hard practice on Thurs so he could rest over the weekend and go easy all this week. Get the soreness out of the way so the week after the Texans it would be a little easier. Also, lets say the injury didn't happen. We go through the week and the Rooks don't take the week seriously expecting moe to be 3rd downand Bennett 1st and 2nd. If the injury would have happened during the game???? I think that the RBs needed the rep and to really get the opportunity to study for this game and the Blitz pick ups.

IF Tice really meant to Beat Bennett up he is a bigger idiot than I already said he was. I just think that the comment was taken out of context because no one can be that stupid.

So in a sense, I am agreeing with you.

come on you all know the press hates TICE and what he is doing FOR the Vikings any way they can make him look bad they do so I am taking anything and everything with a grain of salt, the team will play there hearts out and we all should know the pratice squad is NOT going to on purpose take someone out if they want to hurt someone they would throw them out the window when they were sleeping or help them slip on the bar of soap...the press sucks that is all that is to it TICE loves his boys we all know better than most come on he brought that kicker back when he could not find a job...... :scratch:

Foreman44
10-06-2004, 05:29 PM
My feeling on this is that it will force Linehan to get a little more creative offensively and I really have liked both Moore and especially Ned from what I've seen this year. So as long as those two can execute over the next two weeks and not make mistakes, we'll be ok. Both can run (and hopefully block) and Ned has some great moves and good hands.

casper
10-07-2004, 02:32 AM
"Foreman44" wrote:

My feeling on this is that it will force Linehan to get a little more creative offensively and I really have liked both Moore and especially Ned from what I've seen this year. So as long as those two can execute over the next two weeks and not make mistakes, we'll be ok. Both can run (and hopefully block) and Ned has some great moves and good hands.

great Post Foreman44 :thumbleft: this is going to be like the days leading up to the opening of the season chill bumps and all....Lets get this party started....

Cajunvike NOE PANIC here when you cheer for and KNOW the VIKINGS are the BEST :arrow: F*ck the REST....

cajunvike
10-07-2004, 02:34 AM
True that, casper...and again, WELCOME BACK!