PDA

View Full Version : Viking Playoff Thread

Bretto
12-11-2006, 07:27 PM
I thought someone had already made a playoff thread, I looked back 5pages and coudn't find one so I apologize if someone already made one and I missed it.
Anyways lets keep this up to date.

Here is how it looks now.

2006 NFC Seeding

1 y-Chicago
10-2-0

2 New Orleans
9-4-0

3 Seattle
8-5-0

4 Dallas
8-5-0

5 N.Y. Giants
7-6-0
6 Philadelphia
7-6-0
7 Atlanta
7-6-0
8 Minnesota
6-7-0
9 Carolina
6-7-0
10 St. Louis
5-7-0

Carolina lost this week but Philly, NY and Atl all won.
So that sucked for us.
:(

Here is some more info.

NFC EAST DIVISION
(If St. Louis loses to Chicago Monday night)

Dallas can clinch playoff berth with:
1) DAL win + MIN loss or tie + NO win or tie, OR
2) DAL win + MIN loss or tie + CAR loss or tie.

(If St. Louis defeats Chicago Monday night)

Dallas can clinch playoff berth with:

1) DAL win + MIN loss or tie + STL loss or tie + NO win or tie, OR
2) DAL win + MIN loss or tie + STL loss or tie + CAR loss or tie.

NFC NORTH DIVISION
Chicago has clinched division title.
(If Chicago loses to St. Louis Monday night)

Chicago can clinch first-round bye with:

1) CHI win, OR
2) CHI tie + DAL loss or tie + SEA loss or tie, OR
3) DAL loss + SEA loss + PHI/NYG tie.

(If Chicago defeats St. Louis Monday night, Chicago will have clinched first-round bye)

Chicago can clinch homefield advantage with:

1) CHI win + NO loss or tie, OR
2) CHI tie + NO loss.

NFC SOUTH DIVISION
New Orleans can clinch division with:

1) NO win, OR
2) NO tie + ATL loss or tie, OR
3) ATL loss + CAR loss or tie.

New Orleans can clinch first-round bye with:

1) NO win + DAL loss + NYG loss or tie + SEA loss.

New Orleans can clinch playoff berth with:
1) NO tie, OR
2) MIN loss or tie + PHI loss, OR
3) MIN loss or tie + CAR loss or tie.

NFC WEST DIVISION
(If St. Louis loses to Chicago Monday night)

Seattle can clinch division title with:

1) SEA win or tie.

(If St. Louis defeats Chicago Monday night)

Seattle can clinch division title with:

1) SEA win, OR
2) SEA tie + STL loss or tie.
Arizona, Cleveland, Detroit, Houston, Oakland, Tampa Bay and Washington have been eliminated from playoff contention.

cc21
12-11-2006, 07:36 PM
Well lets hope we can pull it off! I believe! Go VIKES!

Rambro
12-11-2006, 07:39 PM
I'm under the impression we need either the Seahawks or the Panthers to win the wildcard with either of them at least losing 7 games so we can at least tie them and steal their spot because of the tiebrakers we own over them. Us going undeafeated the rest of the season being a given.

Am I right?

FreakinVikingsBaby
12-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Thank god the faithfull are still here. Enough with the next year crap. Until we know for absolute sure what our draft pick# will be, the playoffs are whatssup. GO VIKES!!!!

MightyVikes12391
12-11-2006, 07:43 PM
if we win out im pretty sure were guranteed a spot becuase of philly playing the giants and then playing atlanta

cc21
12-11-2006, 07:49 PM
"FreakinVikingsBaby" wrote:

Thank god the faithfull are still here. Enough with the next year crap. Until we know for absolute sure what our draft pick# will be, the playoffs are whatssup. GO VIKES!!!!
Exactly man! Even if we did get a really low draft pick its not like 1 rookie player will change our team around to an absolute dominant team. So lets win out hopefully make the playoffs.

Bretto
12-11-2006, 08:01 PM
Also here are the upcoming games.

ATL
Dec 16 Dallas
Dec 24 Carolina
Dec 31 @Philadelphia

CAR
Dec 17 Pittsburgh
Dec 24 @Atlanta
Dec 31 @New Orleans

MN
Dec 17 N.Y. Jets
Dec 21 @Green Bay
Dec 31 St. Louis

NY
Dec 17 Philadelphia
Dec 24 New Orleans
Dec 30 @Washington

Philly
Dec 17 @N.Y. Giants
Dec 25 @Dallas
Dec 31 Atlanta

SEA
Dec 14 San Francisco
Dec 24 San Diego
Dec 31 @Tampa Bay

nflvikings4455
12-11-2006, 09:04 PM
"Bretto" wrote:

Also here are the upcoming games.

ATL
Dec 16 Dallas
Dec 24 Carolina
Dec 31 @Philadelphia

CAR
Dec 17 Pittsburgh
Dec 24 @Atlanta
Dec 31 @New Orleans

MN
Dec 17 N.Y. Jets
Dec 21 @Green Bay
Dec 31 St. Louis

NY
Dec 17 Philadelphia
Dec 24 New Orleans
Dec 30 @Washington

Philly
Dec 17 @N.Y. Giants
Dec 25 @Dallas
Dec 31 Atlanta

SEA
Dec 14 San Francisco
Dec 24 San Diego
Dec 31 @Tampa Bay

We basically have the easiest schedual for the remaining games..also we don't play any of the teams that we are compeating w/ for the wild card so thats a good thing too

BadlandsVikings
12-11-2006, 09:11 PM
don't ever think anything is easy. that's when you fall on your face.

Prophet
12-11-2006, 09:40 PM
I thought you were going to condense the 14 pages of if this and this and this and this and that and this and that and this happen, the Vikes are in!
Damn right.
I believe until they are dead.

Bretto
12-11-2006, 09:48 PM
Yeah I was hoping someone else would want to do that 8).
But I guess I will see what I can do.

MaddenVodkaAddict
12-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Go Bears
;D
;D
;D
;D

VikingD24
12-11-2006, 11:17 PM
The rest of the Schedule is cake compared to the schedules of Atlanta, Carolina, & Philadelphia.
The Jets, Flackers, and Rams are definitely winnable games, but so were the 49ers, Bills, and first go around with Favre.

The Vikings are killing me with losing the really winnable games this season & I though I am optimistic about the final 3, I will not allow myself to become overconfident.
I found myself overconfident playing GB at home, NE at home, and during both bears games...all loses.

All I can add is pull it together Brads, keep the Defense off the damn field so much, catch the Ball Troy, Marcus & run like hell Artose, Chester, whoever!

End this freakin 7-9, 8-8, burying your own Playoff shot trend!

Potus2028
12-11-2006, 11:31 PM
seriously.. we'll let philly, dallas, new york, atlanta, carolina, and new orleans beat each other up..

they will win and lose some enough so that our next four necessary wins will put us in as a wild card..

ugh.. it comes down to the basic thing, when we do all this end of the season math "he needs to win, they need to lose or tie, etc..."

WIN FOOTBALL GAMES!

VikesfaninWis
12-11-2006, 11:37 PM
I don't want to be negative, but I don't think the Vikes will win their last 3 games and get the wildcard spot.. They have let us fans down all season long, what makes anyone think that will change now? It would be nice to see them make it, but lets face it, if they did make it they would be 1 and done.. They just haven't played solid enough football on a weekly basis to make me think they have a shot at anything..

Ltrey33
12-11-2006, 11:54 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

I don't want to be negative, but I don't think the Vikes will win their last 3 games and get the wildcard spot.. They have let us fans down all season long, what makes anyone think that will change now? It would be nice to see them make it, but lets face it, if they did make it they would be 1 and done.. They just haven't played solid enough football on a weekly basis to make me think they have a shot at anything..

That's what makes us Viking fans!
:P

Vikes
12-12-2006, 01:04 AM
We are fine. We got 3 weeks to make it click!

midgensa
12-12-2006, 01:39 AM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

I know you love the Vikes as much as the next guy ... but you are one of THOSE Vikings fans that drives me nuts. So many, "hey, that's the Vikings" guys who always think negatively and never give the team a chance.
Honestly, I like wa VikesFan ... so I am not trying to blast you, but loosen up and see the real chance that they have and pull for it. Who knows what could happen in the weak NFC playoffs with the fourth best defense in the NFL taking the field? Keep some optimism ... it makes the day so much brighter.

Gift
12-12-2006, 02:21 AM
"midgensa" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

I know you love the Vikes as much as the next guy ... but you are one of THOSE Vikings fans that drives me nuts. So many, "hey, that's the Vikings" guys who always think negatively and never give the team a chance.
Honestly, I like wa VikesFan ... so I am not trying to blast you, but loosen up and see the real chance that they have and pull for it. Who knows what could happen in the weak NFC playoffs with the fourth best defense in the NFL taking the field? Keep some optimism ... it makes the day so much brighter.
The vikings will probably not make the playoffs.

It is possible & they may do it but is isn't the most probable outcome.
Now that is not being negative, it is being honest.
Look at the current situation honestly and tell me it is likely that the vikings will be in the playoffs.
Now had he said "I hope they lose because of X", that's being negative.
What he said was on the mark, the vikes still have yet to show they can play well as a team consistently.
I'm sure all the folks on this board WANT the vikes to go to the playoffs but the simple fact is that our chances just aren't very good.

Vikes
12-12-2006, 02:32 AM
The Vikings are fine. We have the league right were we want them.

snowinapril
12-12-2006, 02:43 AM
Since nobody has done the Mora Sr bit, I will do it.

Playoffs, Playoffs, did you say playoffs. WTF!
We **** and you are talking playoffs?

Not out until the fat lady sings!

DPep11
12-12-2006, 02:57 AM
LETS GO VIKES!!!!
;D

vikesfargo
12-12-2006, 03:54 AM
Remaining schedules:

Atlanta (7-6): Cowboys, Panthers, Eagles

New York Giants (7-6): Eagles, Saints, Redskins

Philadelphia (7-6): Giants, Cowboys, Falcons

Carolina (6-7): Steelers, Falcons, Saints

Scenario: Cowboys beat Falcons, Giants beat Eagles, Steelers beat Panthers (Panthers out)

Panthers beat Falcons, Saints beat Giants, Cowboys beat Eagles (Eagles out)

Eagles beat Falcons, Giants beat Redskins (Giants in PLUS ONE OTHER TEAM)

singersp
12-12-2006, 07:45 AM
Posted on Tue, Dec. 12, 2006

Good enough for a playoff run? (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/16218235.htm)

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

Del Rio
12-12-2006, 07:54 AM
"We beat ourselves," Williams said. "Every game we've lost, we beat ourselves. The Patriots are the only team that came out and flat out beat us."

I agree with Williams statement. Minimize the mistakes and we can play ball with anyone.

purplepat
12-12-2006, 03:40 PM
"Rambro" wrote:

I'm under the impression we need either the Seahawks or the Panthers to win the wildcard with either of them at least losing 7 games so we can at least tie them and steal their spot because of the tiebrakers we own over them. Us going undeafeated the rest of the season being a given.

Am I right?

Not at all true.

Go ahead and root for the Seahawks to win the NFC West, which they can do by beating the 49ers on Thursday night.
That will give the 49ers 9 losses, effectively knocking them out of the playoffs and any tiebreaking scenario where they would keep the Vikes out of the playoffs.

The possibilities are almost endless still.
The Vikings can somewhat realistically sneak into the playoffs at 8-8, but will need some help.
That eighth loss could only come at the hands of the Jets.
Losing to either the Packers or Rams will end the Vikings playoff hopes.

Let's look quickly at the current contenders for the two wild card spots (overall record followed by NFC record)

NYG
7-6/6-3

PHI, NO, @WAS
PHI

7-6/6-3

@NYG, @DAL, ATL
ATL
7-6/5-4

DAL, CAR, @PHI
MIN
6-7/6-4

NYJ, @GB, STL
CAR
6-7/4-6

PIT, @ATL, @NO
GB

5-8/4-5

@DET, GB, @CHI
SF

5-8/4-5

@SEA, ARZ, @DEN
STL
5-8/4-6

@OAK, WAS, @MIN

If the Vikings win their final three, they finish 9-7/8-4.
From a Vikings wild card spot perspective, that would eliminate GB, SF, STL and CAR from the race (CAR losing a two-way tie on head-to-head and a three-way tie on NFC record).

If PHI is tied with MIN at 9-7, PHI and MIN would have identical NFC records but PHI would win the common opponents tiebreaker.
If the NYG finish 9-7 and beat WAS, they would tie MIN on NFC record and common opponents record, but then probably beat the Vikings on the Strength of Victory tiebreaker unless some weird stuff happens (like the Lions win their last three).
Luckily, NYG and PHI play each other this weekend, so barring a tie one will have their seventh loss this weekend.
We would need that team to lose one more game, which seems very possible as the NYG must play NO, and PHI must play DAL and ATL.
As far as ATL goes, they need only lose one of their final three for MIN to beat them on the NFC record tiebreaker.
Of course, this all assumes that NO and DAL hold serve as the division leaders and win their respective divisions.
So, to summarize, if DAL, NO and SEA win their respective divisions, the Vikings are in as a wild card they win their last three, ATL loses one game and either NYG or PHI lose two of their final three.
MIN would win a tiebreaker against a 9-7 NYG team if the NYG lose to WAS.

Now, if the Vikings finish 8-8, with the loss coming to the Jets, four of the following five scenarios must occur:

CAR would have to lose one of their final three.
SF would have to lose one of their final three.
ATL would have to lose two of their final three.
NYG would have to lose two of their final three.
PHI would have to lose two of their final three.

In reality, the only way that SF can knock the Vikings out now is if CAR, ATL and NYG all finish with nine losses and SF wins their last three.
That's the only scenario where MIN and SF could wind up tied for the final spot at 8-8 and the head-to-head loss against SF would come into play.
In all other 8-8 three (or more) way tie scenarios, SF's NFC record would eliminate them.

The Vikings margin for error starts getting pretty slim if they lose this week, so here's hoping that they beat the Jets on Sunday and Dallas beats Atlanta on Saturday night.

WisconsinSucks
12-12-2006, 03:55 PM
"purplepat" wrote:

"Rambro" wrote:

Am I right?

Not at all true.

Go ahead and root for the Seahawks to win the NFC West, which they can do by beating the 49ers on Thursday night.
That will give the 49ers 9 losses, effectively knocking them out of the playoffs and any tiebreaking scenario where they would keep the Vikes out of the playoffs.

The Vikings can somewhat realistically sneak into the playoffs at 8-8, but will need some help.

Let's look quickly at the current contenders for the two wild card spots (overall record followed by NFC record)

NYG
7-6/6-3

PHI, NO, @WAS
PHI

7-6/6-3

@NYG, @DAL, ATL
ATL
7-6/5-4

DAL, CAR, @PHI
MIN
6-7/6-4

NYJ, @GB, STL
CAR
6-7/4-6

PIT, @ATL, @NO
GB

5-8/4-5

@DET, GB, @CHI
SF

5-8/4-5

@SEA, ARZ, @DEN
STL
5-8/4-6

@OAK, WAS, @MIN

From a Vikings wild card spot perspective, that would eliminate GB, SF, STL and CAR from the race (CAR losing a two-way tie on head-to-head and a three-way tie on NFC record).

If PHI is tied with MIN at 9-7, PHI and MIN would have identical NFC records but PHI would win the common opponents tiebreaker.
If the NYG finish 9-7 and beat WAS, they would tie MIN on NFC record and common opponents record, but then probably beat the Vikings on the Strength of Victory tiebreaker unless some weird stuff happens (like the Lions win their last three).
Luckily, NYG and PHI play each other this weekend, so barring a tie one will have their seventh loss this weekend.
We would need that team to lose one more game, which seems very possible as the NYG must play NO, and PHI must play DAL and ATL.
As far as ATL goes, they need only lose one of their final three for MIN to beat them on the NFC record tiebreaker.
Of course, this all assumes that NO and DAL hold serve as the division leaders and win their respective divisions.
So, to summarize, if DAL, NO and SEA win their respective divisions, the Vikings are in as a wild card they win their last three, ATL loses one game and either NYG or PHI lose two of their final three.

Now, if the Vikings finish 8-8, with the loss coming to the Jets, four of the following five scenarios must occur:

In reality, the only way that SF can knock the Vikings out now is if CAR, ATL and NYG all finish with nine losses and SF wins their last three.
That's the only scenario where MIN and SF could wind up tied for the final spot at 8-8 and the head-to-head loss against SF would come into play.
In all other 8-8 three (or more) way tie scenarios, SF's NFC record would eliminate them.

The Vikings margin for error starts getting pretty slim if they lose this week, so here's hoping that they beat the Jets on Sunday and Dallas beats Atlanta on Saturday night.

Let me paraphrase:
Vikings need to win.

purplepat
12-12-2006, 04:07 PM
I hope it doesn't come down to this, but here's a possible scenario where the Vikings could make the playoffs at 8-8 if they lose to either GB or STL:

NYG lose two of last three (one of those losses to WAS)
ATL loses two of last three
CAR loses one of last three
GB loses one of last three
SF loses one of last three

As a cautionary note (GASP), Packers still have a chance of making the playoffs by winning their last three and finishing 8-8.
In that event, they would knock an 8-8 Vikings squad out of the playoffs.

whackthepack
12-12-2006, 04:10 PM
"Del" wrote:

"We beat ourselves," Williams said. "Every game we've lost, we beat ourselves. The Patriots are the only team that came out and flat out beat us."

I agree with Williams statement. Minimize the mistakes and we can play ball with anyone.

And if we had a QB that was actually good.

Suick
12-12-2006, 04:20 PM
For the Vikes to win out, three things HAVE to happen:

1. Stop the pass. Our secondary is still a seive.

2. No turn overs

3. No turn overs

;D

Ltrey33
12-12-2006, 04:26 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

Minimizing mistakes is more important than that.

Look at the Bears. When Grossman doesn't act like a retard and throw INTs all over the place, they win easily.

If Brad and the rest of the offense take care of the ball, we can play field position, stop the run and play "bend don't break" with our pass defense. That gives us a chance to beat anyone.

The game comes down to three things: running the ball, stopping the run and minimizing turnovers. Look at the last few world champions: The Steelers, the Patriots, the Bucs (Brad was QB), the Ravens....they have all had defenses that coulc stop the run, they could all run the ball and they all minimized mistakes.

I wouldn't call Roethlisberger, Brad or Trent Dilfer great quarterbacks. I'd call them adequate, and that's all we need!

NodakPaul
12-12-2006, 04:42 PM
"Ltrey" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

Look at the Bears. When Grossman doesn't act like a Challenged Hillybilly Lover and throw INTs all over the place, they win easily.

If Brad and the rest of the offense take care of the ball, we can play field position, stop the run and play "bend don't break" with our pass defense. That gives us a chance to beat anyone.

The game comes down to three things: running the ball, stopping the run and minimizing turnovers. Look at the last few world champions: The Steelers, the Patriots, the Bucs (Brad was QB), the Ravens....they have all had defenses that coulc stop the run, they could all run the ball and they all minimized mistakes.

I wouldn't call Roethlisberger, Brad or Trent Dilfer great quarterbacks. I'd call them adequate, and that's all we need!

Heck, even when he DOES act like a Challenged Hillybilly Lover and throw INTs all over the place the Bears find ways to win.
Stupid Bears. ;)

whackthepack
12-12-2006, 04:49 PM
"Ltrey" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

Look at the Bears. When Grossman doesn't act like a Challenged Hillybilly Lover and throw INTs all over the place, they win easily.

Gee wouldn't a good QB take care of the ball?

2 reasons why Brad can't minimize mistakes, the first because I think Brad is scared to be in the pocket and he panics at the slightest hint of pressure and throws it away, second he doesn't have the arm strength and touch to throw the ball with accuracy anymore and so you will see dropped passes and INT's because of it.

Answer to problem we need a good QB and Brad ain't it!

WaywardHoosier
12-12-2006, 05:16 PM
The Bears are very good in many areas of the game and play inspired because they know they will have home field advantage in the playoffs.

This written, the Bears STILL win when Grossman has a bad game.

I hate to write it but the Bears are putting it together this year.

WIith the Vikings, it's back to "wait until next year".

Mr-holland
12-12-2006, 05:22 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"Ltrey" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

2 reasons why Brad can't minimize mistakes, the first because I think Brad is scared to be in the pocket and he panics at the slightest hint of pressure and throws it away, second he doesn't have the arm strength and touch to throw the ball with accuracy anymore and so you will see dropped passes and INT's because of it.

So Twill dropped those passes because BJ doesn't throws accuracy?
that's the biggest Bullshit i've ever heared !

cajunvike
12-12-2006, 05:25 PM
"Del" wrote:

Correction!!!
THE REFS beat us when we played the Patsies...and I am sticking to that story!!!

whackthepack
12-12-2006, 05:34 PM
"Mr-holland" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"Ltrey" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

that's the biggest kaka del toro i've ever heard !

Not all of them, and I never said that.

But I think poor ball placement has been a reason for some of the dropped passes and the receivers not not being able to catch the ball in stride has cost us yards.

But if you think Brad throws a good ball then that is the biggest kak del toro I have ever heard!

by the way Mr Holland how many games have you seen the Vike's play this year?

NodakPaul
12-12-2006, 05:36 PM
"WaywardHoosier" wrote:

The Bears are very good in many areas of the game and play inspired because they know they will have home field advantage in the playoffs.

This written, the Bears STILL win when Grossman has a bad game.

I hate to write it but the Bears are putting it together this year.

WIith the Vikings, it's back to "wait until next year".

Correction.
With the Vikings, it is "Wait until next time the Vikes play the Bears", which, FYI will be Saturday, Jan. 13 or Sunday, Jan. 14th at the Divisional Playoffs...
This time we get our revenge... ;D

Ltrey33
12-12-2006, 05:41 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"Ltrey" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

Yes, but you don't have to be "good" to take care of the ball. You just have to be smart, which is what Brad has been for about 14 1/2 of his 15 seasons in the NFL.

He's let us down this year and made some bad decisions, but I haven't lost all faith in the guy. We know he CAN get it done because we've seen it (and so has Tampa Bay), it is just a matter of whether or not he'll step up, and historically speaking, Brad steps up.

whackthepack
12-12-2006, 05:54 PM
"Ltrey" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"Ltrey" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

Yes, but you don't have to be "good" to take care of the ball. You just have to be smart, which is what Brad has been for about 14 1/2 of his 15 seasons in the NFL.

He's let us down this year and made some bad decisions, but I haven't lost all faith in the guy. We know he CAN get it done because we've seen it (and so has Tampa Bay), it is just a matter of whether or not he'll step up, and historically speaking, Brad steps up.

Ltrey I think Brad has lost something between last year and this year, and he can't get it done anymore.

I am sorry if that hurts peoples feelings!
Yes the Vikes won last weekend, but my god that game should have been over in the 1st quarter and he let Detroit back in the game with that terrible INT for a TD.

Last year in the second half of the season he had 12 TD's and 4 INT's.
That is good game management and you are benefiting the team!

This year he has 8 TD's and 15 INT's!
That is not acceptable in any way, shape or form, that is not good management and is the exact opposite.

tastywaves
12-12-2006, 06:06 PM
"purplepat" wrote:

"Rambro" wrote:

Am I right?

Not at all true.

NYG
7-6/6-3

PHI, NO, @WAS
PHI

7-6/6-3

@NYG, @DAL, ATL
ATL
7-6/5-4

DAL, CAR, @PHI
MIN
6-7/6-4

NYJ, @GB, STL
CAR
6-7/4-6

PIT, @ATL, @NO
GB

5-8/4-5

@DET, GB, @CHI
SF

5-8/4-5

@SEA, ARZ, @DEN
STL
5-8/4-6

@OAK, WAS, @MIN

Ouch, brain jello. I think I'll wait until we beat the Jets and Packers to see how the if-this-and-this-and-this stuff goes.
But I am impressed that someone checks into all this stuff.

Maybe someone can distill this down each week to let me know each team I should be cheering for to win or lose, I'm sure its in there, but I'm a simple guy.
Whatever the case, hopefully the Vikings don't look at this and just figure out how to win this Sunday.

cajunvike
12-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Just win... Vikey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bretto
12-12-2006, 06:37 PM
I do believe I am correct in saying that even if we do win out, there is a chance we will still miss the playoffs. So I do think it is more complicated then us just winning we are going to need some help as always to get in.

HornedHat
12-12-2006, 06:56 PM
I HATE the Jets. Wanna beat them bad, just like I wanted to beat the Dolphins. Didn't win that one, so give me this one.

VikesfaninWis
12-12-2006, 07:21 PM
"midgensa" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

No harm done man, don't worry about it.. I am just saying that I don't have alot of faith in the Vikings at this point in time.. They had a favorable schedule, and we shouldn't even be talking about IF they can make it to the playoffs, but WHO will they play first in the playoffs.. They beat themselves in most of the games they lost this season.. The only team that whooped us was New England.. We should have beaten the Bears both times, we should have beaten the Bills, we should have beaten the Packers, we should have beaten the 49ers, and we should have beaten the Dolphins..

If that was the case, we would be 12-1 right now with the best record in the NFL.. They let all of those games slip by them.. That is the reason why I say I don't have faith in them right now.. I love the Vikings, and that will never change.. I am just looking forward to the day when the whole team plays great and we are a great team..

HornedHat
12-12-2006, 07:39 PM
I will be pullin for the Vikes, but I have little faith. Even if they win the next three games, unless they utterly slaughter their opponents, I don'see them doing much in the playoffs. About the best I could hope for is a first round win, which would be needed for them to get another shot at the Bears. Beat the Bears, and I'd be happy, but that would mean they will have won two playoff games and be in the Conference championship. VERY unlikely. But I'll be watching. I'd be happy to be wrong.

midgensa
12-12-2006, 08:28 PM
"Bretto" wrote:

I do believe I am correct in saying that even if we do win out, there is a chance we will still miss the playoffs. So I do think it is more complicated then us just winning we are going to need some help as always to get in.

Technically, mathematically ... you are correct, but if we win out it is HIGHLY unlikely we will not make it in.
We would be 9-7 and 8-4 in the conference ... that means if the Falcons lose one we pass them on conference record ... we hold tie-breaker over Carolina anyway ... and we would be tied with Philly and NY for the last two spot if they both go 2-1 (at least one of them will lose one to the other this week) If either of them lose one other game (go 1-2, Giants play N.O., Eagles play at Dall and against Atlanta) ... then we would get in ...
9-7 should get the job done. But right now ... we gotta focus on the Jets.

fungus83
12-12-2006, 09:16 PM
"tastywaves" wrote:

"purplepat" wrote:

"Rambro" wrote:

Am I right?

Not at all true.

NYG
7-6/6-3

PHI, NO, @WAS
PHI
7-6/6-3
@NYG, @DAL, ATL
ATL
7-6/5-4

DAL, CAR, @PHI
MIN
6-7/6-4

NYJ, @GB, STL
CAR
6-7/4-6
PIT, @ATL, @NO
GB

5-8/4-5
@DET, GB, @CHI
SF

5-8/4-5

@SEA, ARZ, @DEN
STL
5-8/4-6

@OAK, WAS, @MIN

Ouch, brain jello. I think I'll wait until we beat the Jets and Packers to see how the if-this-and-this-and-this stuff goes.
But I am impressed that someone checks into all this stuff.

Maybe someone can distill this down each week to let me know each team I should be cheering for to win or lose, I'm sure its in there, but I'm a simple guy.
Whatever the case, hopefully the Vikings don't look at this and just figure out how to win this Sunday.

I agree with tastywaves. Can someone make a list of the teams we should be rooting for and the teams we should be rooting against for this upcoming week?
;D

Gift
12-13-2006, 07:45 AM
"fungus83" wrote:

I agree with tastywaves. Can someone make a list of the teams we should be rooting for and the teams we should be rooting against for this upcoming week?
;D
Sure, next week:
For: Vikings
Against: Jets
There ya go
:P

Mr-holland
12-13-2006, 08:14 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"Mr-holland" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"Ltrey" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

But I think poor ball placement has been a reason for some of the dropped passes and the receivers not not being able to catch the ball in stride has cost us yards.

But if you think Brad throws a good ball then that is the biggest kak del toro I have ever heard!

i'm not saying brad is the most accurate Qb in the league but i think that most of the dropped passes are not because of how he has thrown the ball.

I've seen 7 games and saw the half of the 49ers game

Suick
12-13-2006, 09:26 AM
I'm by no means a Brad Basher. We could do worse. But................. the run he had last year was against some really bad teams.

NodakPaul
12-13-2006, 09:33 AM
"Suick" wrote:

I'm by no means a Brad Basher. We could do worse. But................. the run he had last year was against some really bad teams.

Very well put.
I like and respect BJ a lot.
I think he was one of the best decision makers in the game.
But I also think that he is past his prime, and many fans' opinion of him was inflated due to his 7-2 run last year.

There are definitely some QBs out there who are worse than Brad, just lke there are definitely some QBs who are better.
Right now, however, I still think that Brad gives us the best chance to make the playoffs, so I don't foresee any change in QB coming.

whackthepack
12-13-2006, 09:38 AM
"Mr-holland" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"Mr-holland" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"Ltrey" wrote:

i'm not saying brad is the most accurate Qb in the league but i think that most of the dropped passes are not because of how he has thrown the ball.

I've seen 7 games and saw the half of the 49ers game

Gotta disagree he is throwing a terrible ball, he has no accuracy and puts the ball in bad positions constantly.

Del Rio
12-13-2006, 09:47 AM
Yes Brad Johnson needs to improve, and all he has to do is not throw interceptions. The end.

Throw it away or take a sack that's it. If he does everything exactly like he has MINUS the turnovers then we can make a run.

Unfortunately right now for all you Brad haters the "GEE lets get a good QB" is not an option. The defense is playing great, they are mixing in 3-4 and starting to clamp down on teams. The running game is as good as it ever has been this season. All Brad need to do is not turn it over.

I wish I could say that for the rest of the team though. We need less penalties, less blind side penetration on passing plays, and we need our sorry ass core of WR's to actually catch a ball.

If I want to take the Brad haters approach then we need new TACKLES, we need NEW WR's.... WE need new everything. IN reality what we need is our QB to NOT TURN the ball over. That's it.

whackthepack
12-13-2006, 10:57 AM
"Del" wrote:

Yes Brad Johnson needs to improve, and all he has to do is not throw interceptions. The end.

Throw it away or take a sack that's it. If he does everything exactly like he has MINUS the turnovers then we can make a run.

Unfortunately right now for all you Brad haters the "GEE lets get a good QB" is not an option. The defense is playing great, they are mixing in 3-4 and starting to clamp down on teams. The running game is as good as it ever has been this season. All Brad need to do is not turn it over.

I wish I could say that for the rest of the team though. We need less penalties, less blind side penetration on passing plays, and we need our sorry jiggly butt core of WR's to actually catch a ball.

If I want to take the Brad haters approach then we need new TACKLES, we need NEW WR's.... WE need new everything. IN reality what we need is our QB to NOT TURN the ball over. That's it.

Why are we Brad haters?

I see a QB that has stayed in the game to long and it's costing us games!
All I want is for the Vikings to do well, but I don't see the Vikes doing well with Brad at the head of the offense.

I backed Brad this season until it was obvious that he was more of a detriment to the team than a asset, and I would rather see Bollinger start this week if he can go.

It doesn't mean I hate Brad and want him to be harmed or killed, it means I want the Vikes to do well and Brad isn't the answer.
I appreciate him giving it his all, but he should realize that he doesn't have what it takes to be productive in the NFL anymore and should steep aside.

If Brad throws 3 picks this week against the Jets and he costs us another game the Metrodome crowd will be merciless and I hate to see him finish his career this way.

purplepat
12-13-2006, 11:04 AM
"fungus83" wrote:

;D

Here's who you should be rooting for:

THURS

SEA over SF

SAT

DAL over ATL

SUN

MIN over NYJ
DET over GB
PIT over CAR
OAK over STL
NYG over PHI
WAS over NO (maybe)

Only reason I put WAS over NO is "just in case" ATL were to win out, the Vikings could win a spot over NO at 9-7 based on common opponents tiebreaker.
Also, it would hopefully put a little more pressure on the Saints to win next weekend at the NYG.

The NYG-PHI game is kind of a tossup.
Generally, the Vikings need one of these two to lose two of their last three (unless the Giants lose at Washington in week 17).
Both have unfavorable matchups the following week...Philly travels to Dallas, the Giants host the Saints.

happy camper
12-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Here's my order of importance:

1. Vikings over Jets (duh)
2. Cowboys over Falcons
3. Steelers over Panthers
4. Eagles over Giants (I hope the Eagles win, because they have the harder remaining schedule between the two teams, if the giants win this game, i could see them winning out, if the eagles win, they still play @ Cowboys and vs Falcons, so I can see the Eagles losing one or two of those games)

The rest of the games shouldnt matter that much as long as the Vikings take care of business.

Del Rio
12-13-2006, 11:19 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

I wish I could say that for the rest of the team though. We need less penalties, less blind side penetration on passing plays, and we need our sorry jiggly butt core of WR's to actually catch a ball.

Why are we Brad haters?

All I want is for the Vikings to do well, but I don't see the Vikes doing well with Brad at the head of the offense.

I backed Brad this season until it was obvious that he was more of a detriment to the team than a asset, and I would rather see Bollinger start this week if he can go.

It doesn't mean I hate Brad and want him to be harmed or killed, it means I want the Vikes to do well and Brad isn't the answer.
I appreciate him giving it his all, but he should realize that he doesn't have what it takes to be productive in the NFL anymore and should steep aside.

If Brad throws 3 picks this week against the Jets and he costs us another game the Metrodome crowd will be merciless and I hate to see him finish his career this way.

Because people mercilecly pull pooh out of their jiggly butt in order to pin him as the source of our problems when he is not the source. No one said anything about wishing harm or death.

If the only thing he changes is his turnovers he is good enough imo. This is a team sport if everyone improves then we will win. No need to be calling for heads or getting mad when a greenhorn is not played.

Our team as a whole needs to improve, Brad included.

whackthepack
12-13-2006, 11:56 AM
"Del" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

Why are we Brad haters?

Because people mercilecly pull pooh out of their jiggly butt in order to pin him as the source of our problems when he is not the source. No one said anything about wishing harm or death.

If the only thing he changes is his turnovers he is good enough imo. This is a team sport if everyone improves then we will win. No need to be calling for heads or getting mad when a greenhorn is not played.

Sorry Del but that is your opinion!

Mine is he cost us every week and he is more of a detriment to the team and should not be allowed on the field and he can't throw a decent pass to a Viking receiver to save his life!
Yet he seems to throw great passes to our opponents every week.

Del Rio
12-13-2006, 12:02 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

Why are we Brad haters?

Mine is he cost us every week and he is more of a detriment to the team and should not be allowed on the field and he can't throw a decent pass to a Viking receiver to save his life!

Yes Whack it is my opinon. Which if you note the letters you bolded you will see I plainly said IMO. Are you the new Captain Obvious?

When someone says something as ignorant as "he can't throw a decent pass to a Viking receiver to save his life!" When he has in fact thrown many decent passes to a Vikings WR this season last game included. That is more then enough for me to call someone a Brad Hater. Keep pulling things out of your ass and maybe some day something true will come out.

cyviking
12-13-2006, 12:07 PM
ive said it b4 and ill say it again, no playoff talk unless you are .500 or better
man law

whackthepack
12-13-2006, 12:44 PM
"Del" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

Why are we Brad haters?

Yes Whack it is my opinon. Which if you note the letters you bolded you will see I plainly said IMO. Are you the new Captain Obvious?

When someone says something as ignorant as "he can't throw a decent pass to a Viking receiver to save his life!" When he has in fact thrown many decent passes to a Vikings WR this season last game included. That is more then enough for me to call someone a Brad Hater. Keep pulling things out of your jiggly butt and maybe some day something true will come out.

Do you see his passes and how they wobble and that he doesn't hit the recivers in stride that he is behind them or high or low?

And it comes true every Sunday that Brad takes the field, and wasn't it 2 weeks ago that Brad was pulled from the game?
I think it was!

And wasn't it last game that the coaching staff had no faith in Brad that they wouldn't let him throw in the second half?
I think it was!

So apparently I am not the only one who can see it!

Brad Johnson's passing last Sunday.

the 1st 23 minutes of the game until the INT

12 passes

the next 37 minutes of the game

9 passes

I think the coaching staff lost faith too!

Yes Del, I am the one who bolded it and I did see the IMO there and that is why I said that it is your opinion.

Del Rio
12-13-2006, 01:00 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

Why are we Brad haters?

When someone says something as ignorant as "he can't throw a decent pass to a Viking receiver to save his life!" When he has in fact thrown many decent passes to a Vikings WR this season last game included. That is more then enough for me to call someone a Brad Hater. Keep pulling things out of your jiggly butt and maybe some day something true will come out.

Do you see his passes and how they wobble and that he doesn't hit the recivers in stride that he is behind them or high or low?

And it comes true every Sunday that Brad takes the field, and wasn't it 2 weeks ago that Brad was pulled from the game?
I think it was!

And wasn't it last game that the coaching staff had no faith in Brad that they wouldn't let him throw in the second half?
I think it was!

12 passes

9 passes

Yes Del, I am the one who bolded it and I did see the IMO there and that is why I said that it is your opinion.

Well thanks for saying something I already made clear for no apparent reason.

Nice logic, yes he was pulled two weeks ago, yes they didn't have faith in him nor should they have........and by utilizing your angle DIDNT HE START THIS WEEK.....yes whack yes he did. And apparently he will start next week too.

I see the Brad Hater coming through, is it a massive conspiracy? Was Brad Johnson held to so few passes because of a lack of faith in his ability? Or was it we were WINNING the entire game? Our running game was working and eating clock? I see you have chosen your stance with the tin foil hat, I think I'll subscribe to the common knowledge that when your winning the game and your running the ball well you will run more then pass.

whackthepack
12-13-2006, 02:02 PM
"Del" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

Why are we Brad haters?

I think it was!

I think it was!

12 passes

9 passes

Nice logic, yes he was pulled two weeks ago, yes they didn't have faith in him nor should they have........and by utilizing your angle DIDNT HE START THIS WEEK.....yes whack yes he did. And apparently he will start next week too.

I see the Brad Hater coming through, is it a massive conspiracy? Was Brad Johnson held to so few passes because of a lack of faith in his ability? Or was it we were WINNING the entire game? Our running game was working and eating clock? I see you have chosen your stance with the tin foil hat, I think I'll subscribe to the common knowledge that when your winning the game and your running the ball well you will run more then pass.

So when we were winning by 20 points why was Brad throwing?m
Why weren't we running every play then to eat up the clock?

happy camper
12-13-2006, 02:14 PM
i agree with del's take on this.

i find it funny that people say, "The coaching staff didn't beleive in Brad, so they stopped letting him pass in the second half". thats twisting things around, to find another reason to hate.

It's more like, the Vikings were ahead and the running game was working so well.

brad's not the best, but he's more than likely the best we've got this season.

Del Rio
12-13-2006, 02:24 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

Why are we Brad haters?

I think it was!

I think it was!

12 passes

9 passes

So when we were winning by 20 points why was Brad throwing?m

Why weren't we running every play then to eat up the clock?

What are you talking about?
12 passes before the int, 9 after? Your talking about 3 passes?

We ran the majority of every play to eat up clock, like most NFL teams try to do. Part of eating up clock is getting first downs, so you do not abandon the pass. Your really reaching on this one.

NodakPaul
12-13-2006, 02:32 PM
I think it's hard to say that the coaching staff lost confidence in Brad, and that's why we were running the ball more.
We were ahead by 2 (or more) scores and the Lions were having a hard time stopping the run.
Why in the hell wouldn't you run the ball in that situation?

whackthepack
12-13-2006, 03:43 PM
We were ahead by 13 points thanks to Brad, we should have been up by 27 points.

Then after not taking advantage of the defense giving you the ball back on their 18 yard line we let them within 10 points going into the 4th quarter.

12 passes in 1/3 of the game

9 passes in 2/3 of the game

You guys can have your opinion of the Brad and what the coaching staff thinks of him and I will have mine and I think mine is correct.

Del Rio
12-13-2006, 03:44 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

Then after not taking advantage of the defense giving you the ball back on their 18 yard line we let them within 10 points going into the 4th quarter.

You guys can have your opinion of the Brad and what the coaching staff thinks of him and I will have mine and I think mine is correct.

Well if it your opinion I hope you do think it is correct lol
;D

NodakPaul
12-13-2006, 03:48 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

My opinion of BJhas gone steadily down hill...
If there were a better QB ready to take his place on the Vikings, I would be all for it.

Del Rio
12-13-2006, 03:50 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

If there were a better QB ready to take his place on the Vikings, I would be all for it.

I share that opinion. I had high hopes for him this season. I think he ended up trying to make up for a total lack of execution on the part of our entire offensive team to prove to the world he deserves to be a starter. I think every single player on offense has some responsibility in our failures even Brad, and if there was someone better on our team they would/should be in there.

whackthepack
12-13-2006, 04:07 PM
"Del" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

I share that opinion. I had high hopes for him this season. I think he ended up trying to make up for a total lack of execution on the part of our entire offensive team to prove to the world he deserves to be a starter. I think every single player on offense has some responsibility in our failures even Brad, and if there was someone better on our team they would/should be in there.

CC the best posted his opinion of Brad in another thread and it is to close to mine so now I have to kill myself, or quit watching the Vikes for ever.

Which one to chose?

Which one to chose?

Where is my gun and my bullets.

Del Rio
12-13-2006, 04:08 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

CC the best posted his opinion of Brad in another thread and it is to close to mine so now I have to kill myself, or quit watching the Vikes for ever.

Which one to chose?

Which one to chose?

Dont feel bad I have agreed with him like 5 times in the last month, you feel dirty at first but you get used to it.

whackthepack
12-13-2006, 04:12 PM
"Del" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

Which one to chose?

Which one to chose?

Dont feel bad I have agreed with him like 5 times in the last month, you feel dirty at first but you get used to it.

LMAO thanks Del that made my afternoon! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

FreakinVikingsBaby
12-13-2006, 04:37 PM
Does anybody know if there is a possibility of the Vikes playing the iggles in Philly for the divisional round? I would love to give philly fans a taste of their own medicine. GO VIKES!!!!!

purplepat
12-13-2006, 04:43 PM
"FreakinVikingsBaby" wrote:

Does anybody know if there is a possibility of the Vikes playing the iggles in Philly for the divisional round? I would love to give philly fans a taste of their own medicine. GO VIKES!!!!!

Yes, that would be a possibility if the Eagles win the NFC East instead of the Cowboys or Giants.

FreakinVikingsBaby
12-13-2006, 04:49 PM
Than go iggles!! Got no problem rooting against ny and especially dallas

El Vikingo
12-15-2006, 01:35 PM
Lets pray Cowboys over Falcons this week and our D will do the rest of the job.

marantzo
12-15-2006, 11:33 PM
In the Giants/Philly game, who do you think will be better for the Vikings to win the game?

i_bleed_purple
12-16-2006, 12:27 AM
i'd say philly.
theyre the weaker team and they pose less of a threat in the playoffs than the giants

darkflood
12-16-2006, 01:15 AM
[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree. I'm pretty much going with whack(which I usually do :)) in this whole cage fight you guys have going. I was waiting for a PPV on P.P.O. with you going head to head. It's nice that we can heatedly disagree, (with Del being wrong ;)), and still come out being friends at the other end, even though Del is wrong. This is the way the site should be. Even though Del is wrong.

whackthepack
12-16-2006, 11:05 AM
"darkflood" wrote:

I agree. I'm pretty much going with whack(which I usually do :)) in this whole cage fight you guys have going. I was waiting for a PPV on P.P.O. with you going head to head. It's nice that we can heatedly disagree, (with Del being wrong ;)), and still come out being friends at the other end, even though Del is wrong. This is the way the site should be. Even though Del is wrong.

Del and I have been arguing like this for 3 years because we both like to argue about football and neither of us takes it personally, I don't know if you can say anybody is wrong we just have different opinions and we both like to express them.

I don't get mad at Del and I don't think he gets mad at me, at least I hope he doesn't he is a lot bigger than me and I would hate to have to break his fist on my face!

MaddenVodkaAddict
12-16-2006, 11:04 PM
Falcons look like they're about to lose
;D :P :-* :) :D

happy camper
12-16-2006, 11:18 PM
sweet. falcons lost.

if the vikings take care of business tomarrow, we'll be in a three way tie for the last spot. it would be a 4 way tie if the panthers win.

Bretto
12-16-2006, 11:21 PM
Seahawks and the Falcons lost.
The Falcons are now 7-7, Seahawks 8-6.
The way all these playoff contenders keep losing is making things interesting.

I believe this shows that all the talk (of "even if the vikes make it to the playoffs, they will lose right away so it doesn't matter") isn't even close to being true.
We played two super close games against the best team in the NFC (bears).
As far as I see it the vikes are capable of beating any of the teams in the NFC.

Braddock
12-17-2006, 01:38 AM
"happy" wrote:

sweet. falcons lost.

if the vikings take care of business tomarrow, we'll be in a three way tie for the last spot. it would be a 4 way tie if the panthers win.

We'd have a better conference record than atlanta, so i believe we'd only be tied with the loser of the Giants/Philly game, if i am correct.... ooooo getting close and down to the wire.

BadlandsVikings
12-17-2006, 01:47 AM
"Braddock" wrote:

"happy" wrote:

sweet. falcons lost.

We'd have a better conference record than atlanta, so i believe we'd only be tied with the loser of the Giants/Philly game, if i am correct.... ooooo getting close and down to the wire.

I can't believe it's already week 15. where did the season go?

Caine
12-17-2006, 02:40 AM
This is what makes my head hurt.

There are 5 teams poised for a shot at the 2 wildcard slots...with 3 more not mathematically eliminated yet.

No matter how you slice it, we need to win out to have a real shot.

Caine

x-ray jeff
12-17-2006, 03:26 AM
The fact that there are so many teams still alive this late could point to the parity issue. I think it's great. The big contributions by so many rookies around the league kind of adds to it. The fact that teams are so evenly matched brings emotion even more to the forefront. Football is an emotional game. The team that can stay fired up is gaining an edge that they wouldn't have otherwise. It makes the games that much more exciting to watch. It's great to see the Vikings hanging in like they have. They could have packed it in several weeks ago. I was ready to. But now I can't wait for the Jets!
GO VIKINGS!

singersp
12-17-2006, 05:46 AM
Vikings Control Own Destiny...Sort Of (http://vikings.scout.com/2/601542.html)

Posted Dec 17, 2006

By Viking Update Staff

Despite a season with some painful low points, if the Vikings can run the table on the final three games, it will be difficult to keep them out of the playoffs.

singersp
12-17-2006, 06:16 AM
Jim Souhan: Even now, expectation should be postseason (http://www.startribune.com/150/story/879364.html)

For all that has gone wrong this season, the Vikings need only a strong finish vs. ordinary opponents to make the playoffs.

By Jim Souhan, Star Tribune
Last update: December 16, 2006 – 11:49 PM

Mikchek
12-17-2006, 04:39 PM
we can still make it if:

Atlanta Lose rest of Games
New York to lose rest of games
Green Bay lose rest of games

VKG4LFE
12-17-2006, 04:41 PM
Playoffs, we're not even gonna sniff it.

Caine
12-17-2006, 04:42 PM
IF we can beat Green Bay....

IF we can beat St. Louis....

IF we get a LOT of help....

I wouldn't start making hotel reservations if you can't get back your deposit....

Caine

kelmino
12-17-2006, 11:00 PM
"Mikchek" wrote:

we can still make it if:

ok well Atlanta plays Carolina, and Philly,
both possible loses.
New York plays New Orleans and Washington.
New Orleans is a possible loss.
and washington is a divisional team and is a possible loss but I wouldn't count on it

Plus we still need to
win out.
if we win out GB will lose that game. and get them out of that.
and they will still be a game behind us regardless.

also by looking at other tie breakers, if atlanta or the Giants lose one, we will have the tie breaker agaist them because of the conference record we will have a 8-4 record in conference. best they could have would be 7-5 for either of them with just one loss

of course look at the bright side, if we lose out we will get a top 10 draft pick and hopefully can pick up a good wide receiver to help out T jack next season.

now he question is do you want a top 10 draft pick? or sneak in the playoffs with an 8-8 record? and get a worse draft pick.

Prophet
12-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Fight until death.
The draft is a crapshoot anyway.

cajunvike
12-17-2006, 11:03 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Playoffs, we're not even gonna sniff it.

Just like VKG won't be sniffing any "meow" if the Packers lose to the Vikings on Thursday!
:D

cajunvike
12-17-2006, 11:09 PM
"kelmino" wrote:

"Mikchek" wrote:

we can still make it if:

ok well Atlanta plays Carolina, and Philly,
both possible loses.
New York plays New Orleans and Washington.
New Orleans is a possible loss.
and washington is a divisional team and is a possible loss but I wouldn't count on it

Plus we still need to
win out.
if we win out GB will lose that game. and get them out of that.
and they will still be a game behind us regardless.

also by looking at other tie breakers, if atlanta or the Giants lose one, we will have the tie breaker agaist them because of the conference record we will have a 8-4 record in conference. best they could have would be 7-5 for either of them with just one loss

of course look at the bright side, if we lose out we will get a top 10 draft pick and hopefully can pick up a good wide receiver to help out T jack next season.

now he question is do you want a top 10 draft pick? or sneak in the playoffs with an 8-8 record? and get a worse draft pick.

Were you watching the games today?
Washington beat New Orleans today...so them beating the Giants is much more possible if they continue to play at the level that they are playing since Campbell became the starter.

As for the choice we should make, I would gladly take sneaking into the playoffs...IF TJack is made the starter...as Pittsburgh proved last season as the #6 seed, it is the team that gets hot in the playoffs that wins it all...and with our defense, all it would take is for the offense to get aggressive under TJack...heck, if he bombs, we can always bring in the wily vet, Brad, off of the bench!
:D

singersp
12-18-2006, 09:06 AM
Posted on Sun, Dec. 17, 2006

Vikings still have playoffs in sight (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/16262867.htm)

JON KRAWCZYNSKI
Associated Press

rodidle
12-18-2006, 09:15 AM
come on guys get into the real world.
we aren't making any playoffs.
we can't win at home, we can't beat anybody with an offense. Let's take a higher draft pick and look forward to next year...

whackthepack
12-18-2006, 09:33 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

Why are we Brad haters?

Didn't even need Brad to throw 3 INT's just to play bad enough to put us behind and the crowd went after him with a vengeance!

I felt sorry for Brad but anybody that didn't see this coming wasn't paying attention and Childress it is time to name T-Jack the starter and give him the last 2 games to see what he can do.
Name T-Jack the starter instead of having Brad start we are down by 3 scores again and then bring him in let him start and give him a chance.

cyviking
12-18-2006, 09:36 AM
This thread needs to die, can we give it a rest now there will be no playoffs for us this year.

Just sit back an enjoy the rest of the season.

NodakPaul
12-18-2006, 09:41 AM
"rodidle" wrote:

come on guys get into the real world.
we aren't making any playoffs.
we can't win at home, we can't beat anybody with an offense. Let's take a higher draft pick and look forward to next year...

If any of the players of coaches had this type of attitude, we would be calling for their heads.
We simply cannot give up until we are mathematically eliminated.

VikesFan4Life
12-18-2006, 09:41 AM
"Playoffs?
Playoffs!?"

:Jim Mora voice off:

NodakPaul
12-18-2006, 09:43 AM
As I have said before, I think Childress will field the QB who he thinks gives us the best chance to win.
Especially since we are still technically in the playoff hunt, and I personally refuse to roll over and dies before my time.

I think it is safe to say, however, that BJ is no longer that QB.
Bring on TJ for the Green Bay game.

Del Rio
12-18-2006, 10:05 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

Why are we Brad haters?

Didn't even need Brad to throw 3 INT's just to play bad enough to put us behind and the crowd went after him with a vengeance!

I felt sorry for Brad but anybody that didn't see this coming wasn't paying attention and Childress it is time to name T-Jack the starter and give him the last 2 games to see what he can do.
Name T-Jack the starter instead of having Brad start we are down by 3 scores again and then bring him in let him start and give him a chance.

Might as well. And like I said 500 times before I am not expecting anything good to come of it. The whole team is playing poorly. Even the time he has had he managed a few 3 and outs, many incompletions some off dropped passes, a few turnovers. I really don't see how letting him play will improve our situation.

Like I said though at leats it gives the fans something to get excited about and that is more then I can say for the play of Johnson and crew.

JDogg926
12-18-2006, 10:08 AM
As painful as it is to watch, I keep watching, with just that little glimmer of hope.
I think it's Tarvaris time like it or not.
He got in rhythm pretty quick, and put up some decent #'s.
I hope to see him Thursday against the Pack.
Brad can't buy himself extra time, and with our pass blocking we need a QB that can buy himself some extra time.
Another thing, we didn't lose the Jets game because of Brad, we lost it because of terrible pass Defense.

This is almost disturbing, but look at what could happen this week:

First of all, we'd need to beat the Packers, improve to 7-8.
Then, the Panthers upset the Falcons, making both 7-8.
Then, the Saints beat the Giants dropping them to 7-8.
Let's say the Rams and 49ers win, both 7-8.
The, the Eagles lose to the Cowboys dropping to 8-7 (still in line for #5).
Seahawks could lose to Chargers dropping to 8-7.

That would set up a week 17 that looks like this:

7-8 Giants at the Redskins
7-8 Falcons at the 8-7 Eagles
7-8 49ers at the Broncos (who may be fighting for a wildcard, too)
7-8 Rams at the 7-8 Vikings
7-8 Panthers at the Saints

If the Redskins come through on the upset, the Eagles beat the Falcons, the Broncos take care of the 49ers, all we have to do is beat the Rams. That would mean the Eagles would take the #5, we'd take the #6.

Long shot?
Yeah, but also very possible.
I've got hope.
Now, if we lose Thursday that's another story.

cogitans
12-18-2006, 10:14 AM
"JDogg926" wrote:

As painful as it is to watch, I keep watching, with just that little glimmer of hope.
Brad can't buy himself extra time, and with our pass blocking we need a QB that can buy himself some extra time.
Another thing, we didn't lose the Jets game because of Brad, we lost it because of terrible pass Defense.

If the Redskins come through on the upset, the Eagles beat the Falcons, the Broncos take care of the 49ers, all we have to do is beat the Rams. That would mean the Eagles would take the #5, we'd take the #6.

Long shot?
I've got hope.

It's so insane that we are still in there. But this scenario is entirely possible.

But it all comes down with us getting it done at Lambeau. Btw. why do we have to play there every year in december

JDogg926
12-18-2006, 10:27 AM
"cogitans" wrote:

"JDogg926" wrote:

Long shot?
I've got hope.

It's so insane that we are still in there. But this scenario is entirely possible.

But it all comes down with us getting it done at Lambeau. Btw. why do we have to play there every year in december

That's a good question.
Maybe it's because the one year we went there in September (2003) we spanked them.
Wouldn't it be a great story for Tarvaris (keep in mind I've been a Brad supporter most of the season) to come in lead us to 8-8, we sneak into the playoffs, win a couple games we're not supposed to, actually get into the Superbowl, behind a rookie that has 2 career starts under his belt.
Even if we didn't win the Superbowl but got there, that would just be an awesome story to have about your team.
You could tell your grandkids about it.

whackthepack
12-18-2006, 11:17 AM
"Del" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

Why are we Brad haters?

Might as well. And like I said 500 times before I am not expecting anything good to come of it. The whole team is playing poorly. Even the time he has had he managed a few 3 and outs, many incompletions some off dropped passes, a few turnovers. I really don't see how letting him play will improve our situation.

Like I said though at leats it gives the fans something to get excited about and that is more then I can say for the play of Johnson and crew.

I am not expecting what I think a lot of Viking fans are that T-Jack comes in and our offense becomes one of the best in the league.
I just don't see that happening but I do think it is time to start to look to the future and to see how T-Jack handles controversy and pressure.

I expect T-Jack to go through the growing pains of an NFL QB and that means 2 years of mistakes and learning and some of the Viking fans will start to get annoyed with it and will call for his head but if he shows that he is learning and improving albeit slowly I will back him and look down the road.

To the fans that cheered for him to be the QB now (me being one of them) remember half way through next season when he is having trouble you have to back him then as you do know and keep looking to the future because we have a long road ahead of us.

Del Rio
12-18-2006, 11:45 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

Why are we Brad haters?

I am not expecting what I think a lot of Viking fans are that T-Jack comes in and our offense becomes one of the best in the league.
I just don't see that happening but I do think it is time to start to look to the future and to see how T-Jack handles controversy and pressure.

I expect T-Jack to go through the growing pains of an NFL QB and that means 2 years of mistakes and learning and some of the Viking fans will start to get annoyed with it and will call for his head but if he shows that he is learning and improving albeit slowly I will back him and look down the road.

To the fans that cheered for him to be the QB now (me being one of them) remember half way through next season when he is having trouble you have to back him then as you do know and keep looking to the future because we have a long road ahead of us.

Well I hope they take your direction, but I highly doubt it. I imagine if he struggles you may find yourself one of the few giving him the benefit of the doubt and many of these same people will be looking past obvious problems and looking for the next best thing.

What is the saying, the most popular guy on a football team is the backup QB? If he struggles next year I bet you hear about it.

Vikes
12-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Well it's over with Brad he is too slow. The defense just blitz and Brad cannot move and just lays down. It's time to see what we got on the bench and to see if we need to look for another QB in the off season. Brad it was a great ride while it lasted it.

Bretto
12-18-2006, 12:24 PM
We are still in it.
The next two teams we play are dangerous.
Green Bay at home and the Rams with their excellent passing game.
I can't believe we let Chad Pennington have a career day against us. :'(

singersp
12-18-2006, 07:00 PM
"cogitans" wrote:

??? WTF are you talking about? In the last 10 years counting this year (1997-2006) we will have only played them at Lamb Boo 3 times in December;

2006, 2002 & 2001.

I don't know where you get your football stats from, but if I were you, I'd locate another source.
;)

LongtimeVikesfan
12-18-2006, 07:41 PM
Here is an article from NFL insider. It's surprising that we still have a good chance to make the playoffs if we win out.

We need to watch two teams...Falcons and Giants.

Read the following:

http://vikings.scout.com/2/601934.html

BadlandsVikings
12-18-2006, 07:54 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"cogitans" wrote:

http://But it all comes down with us getting it done at Lambeau. Btw. why do we have to play there every year in december

??? WTF are you talking about? In the last 10 years counting this year (1997-2006) we will have only played them at Lamb Boo 3 times in December;

2006, 2002 & 2001.

I don't know where you get your football stats from, but if I were you, I'd locate another source.
;)

It wouldn't matter if we did play all games outside in December.
We used to play every game outside.

idahovikefan7
12-19-2006, 01:51 AM
"LongtimeVikesfan" wrote:

Here is an article from NFL insider. It's surprising that we still have a good chance to make the playoffs if we win out.

Read the following:

Man do I like the sounds of that......we still have a chance after playing as bad as we have
this year......I really dont care what happened early this season.. if the vikings make the playoffs that is awesome!!!!!!!!!! im just a little worried about the last game against the rams, but if TJ plays the remaining games, I think we have a good chance. :)

singersp
12-19-2006, 07:54 AM
Posted on Tue, Dec. 19, 2006

Week is short, but stakes are high (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/16270439.htm)

Spencer Johnson has high ankle sprain

BY DON SEEHOLZER
Pioneer Press

Without getting into all the tiebreakers and scenarios, the short version of the Vikings' playoff possibilities boils down to this: Lose Thursday night at Green Bay or in the Dec. 31 regular-season finale against St. Louis, and they're out.

Win Thursday, and they can't be eliminated until the final week, no matter what happens Sunday...........

Bretto
12-19-2006, 08:50 PM
one more week for me to hang on to my hope.

DSHARP42
12-19-2006, 10:03 PM
"LongtimeVikesfan" wrote:

Read the following:

Hey guys, I'm new to the board but a lifelong Vikes fan......i've been trolling the boards for a few weeks now, and finally decided to join. I'm 20 years old. Cris Carter is my favorite player of all time.

Anyway.....with this article from vikings.scout.com........is it even correct (about what has to happen for the Vikes to get in)????

As he mentions, the first tiebreaker is head-to-head matchups, so if that's the case, even if the Vikes win out, NYG loses one game and ATL loses one game, if SF would also win out and finish 8-8, wouldn't they then go ahead of us because they beat us head-to-head?
Thoughts?

MightyVikes12391
12-19-2006, 10:17 PM
in that article they failed to mention the fact that if san fran wins out they would have the tie breaker over us so basically i think we need giants to lose one, atlanta to lose one, and san fran to lose one and win out to get it. Correct me if im wrong

singersp
12-20-2006, 07:33 AM
Want to know the Vikings' easiest route to the playoffs? It goes like this: Minnesota wins both its remaining games to finish 8-8 and the Giants, Falcons and 49ers each lose one more game.

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/887157.html

VikesFan787
12-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Ok so let me get this straight:

Minnesota must win there next two games?
Minnesota @Green Bay
St.Louis @ Minnesota

These Teams must lose one out of two games:
Atlanta- Carolina @ Atlanta; Atlanta @ Phillidelphia
N.Y.G.- New Orleans @ Giants; N.Y.G. @ Washington
San Francisco- Arizona @ San Francisco; San Francisco @ Denver

singersp
12-20-2006, 09:08 AM
"VikesFan787" wrote:

Minnesota @Green Bay
St.Louis @ Minnesota

That's pretty much it & entirely possible.

2beersTommy
12-20-2006, 10:08 AM
"VikesFan787" wrote:

Minnesota @Green Bay
St.Louis @ Minnesota

WOW, go figure..one of the years we dont play the Giants. and we can still get F**cked by them.

ultravikingfan
12-20-2006, 03:53 PM
"2beersTommy" wrote:

"VikesFan787" wrote:

Minnesota @Green Bay
St.Louis @ Minnesota

WOW, go figure..one of the years we dont play the Giants. and we can still get F**cked by them.

LMAO!
I do not see those teams winning out.
We just need to win.

whackthepack
12-22-2006, 09:20 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

Why are we Brad haters?

To the fans that cheered for him to be the QB now (me being one of them) remember half way through next season when he is having trouble you have to back him then as you do now and keep looking to the future because we have a long road ahead of us.

The game last night didn't go as everybody hoped and the offense still looks like a bad college team but that is the way it goes.

Childress really does have to loosen up on his play calling and let the QB make some throws, there is a middle ground between the long ball and the 5 yard pass we have been killed by it enough this season that we should know that you can actually throw passes between 15 and 30 yards and complete them.

T-Jack kept his poise out there under a heavy pass rush and he ate the ball on 2 occasions that he could have tried to throw it away and gotten intercepted, he did make a throw when he was in the grasp that was probably not a good idea but it ended up being completed.

T-Jack is going to go through growing pains and the best thing we can do is stick behind him because he looks like he has what it takes and has the possibility to become a very good QB but it will take time.

NodakPaul
12-22-2006, 09:32 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

The game last night didn't go as everybody hoped and the offense still looks like a bad college team but that is the way it goes.

Childress really does have to loosen up on his play calling and let the QB make some throws, there is a middle ground between the long ball and the 5 yard pass we have been killed by it enough this season that we should know that you can actually throw passes between 15 and 30 yards and complete them.

T-Jack kept his poise out there under a heavy pass rush and he ate the ball on 2 occasions that he could have tried to throw it away and gotten intercepted, he did make a throw when he was in the grasp that was probably not a good idea but it ended up being completed.

T-Jack is going to go through growing pains and the best thing we can do is stick behind him because he looks like he has what it takes and has the possibility to become a very good QB but it will take time.

He threw the ball away twice while under pressure, and both times they were damn near intercepted.
The time you mentioned he was falling backwards with a pack defender on him and he just chucked it up.
He was lucky a Viking caught it at the line of scrimmage.

I agree that we have to stick by TJ.
He will definitely have more rookie games like this one, but we will also get better.
I am just curious about the double standards.
Last night's offense was more anemic that any of the games Brad led, yet everyone seems OK with it because TJ was a rookie...

cyviking
12-22-2006, 09:33 AM
Kill the playoff thread MODS please....its over guys

Smudge
12-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Hmmmmmmmm.....we need some mathematicians to crunch the numbers on how we can get in at 6 - 10

NodakPaul
12-22-2006, 09:58 AM
"Smudge" wrote:

Hmmmmmmmm.....we need some mathematicians to crunch the numbers on how we can get in at 6 - 10

it would take either a series of plane crashes or the Rapture.
Frankly I am not ready for either...