PDA

View Full Version : Griffin!

nephilimstorm
12-10-2006, 07:40 PM
I am sorry but the more I see Griffin the more the man Impresses me with his style and play...always seem to be right there where the ball is. Great Cornerback in his young career. Thoughts?
Shutdown Corner?
Solid DB?
Sucker getting lucky?

michaelmazid
12-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Griffin is the real deal. Not one of those soft corners that hate to tackle like fred smoot

I hate to beat a dead horse but man fred smoot is worst corner in the history. every pass that was completed seemed to be to the guy that smoot was covering. I say we cut him on monday and give his contract to C.Griffin cause that boy is the real deal

ultravikingfan
12-10-2006, 07:51 PM
Hell yah!
I really like this guy.
I love it that he is known as a physical guy.
He hits hard and he defends the pass pretty good for a rookie.
I think he will mature into a great CB.

VikesfaninWis
12-10-2006, 07:51 PM
He doesn't run his mouth, he is a great coverage corner, and he hits like a brick wall.. Add all that with the fact that he always seems to know where the ball is, and we have us a great CB of the future.. I will agree, that he inpresses me in each game that he plays.. He was a big piece of the reason that we beat Detroit today..

With his style of play, I don't see any reason why they will keep Smoot on the Vikes after this season.. In Smoot's 2 years here, he has embarrassed the orginization, and himself on several of occasions.. Griffin is younger, more gifted, and all around better then Smoot.. I say we have us a new starting CB opposite of Winfield..

cajunvike
12-10-2006, 07:54 PM
If he can keep playing the way he is playing, we will be set at CB!

nephilimstorm
12-10-2006, 07:57 PM
I say Greg Blue starts for Dwight Smith see what he can do lol

Ok I wont get drastic. lol

vikes2456
12-10-2006, 08:52 PM
Griffin has been playing like a real stud, and has exceeded all of our expectations. And,
he seems to be very down to earth, which is especially admirable in an NFL where every player seems to be cocky.

singersp
12-10-2006, 09:49 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

He doesn't run his mouth.......

I'm still waiting for someone to show me evidence where Smoot has done that this year.

VKG4LFE
12-10-2006, 10:07 PM
I think we should draft the other Griffin out of Texas this year in the draft. He's a stud too.

LuckyVike
12-10-2006, 10:12 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

He doesn't run his mouth.......

I'm still waiting for someone to show me evidence where Smoot has done that this year.

I can't remember if it was the game against Washington to open the season or a preseason game but I remember Fred Smoot being interviewed on the sidelines and he was talking about how Fred Smoot (referring to himself in 3rd person) was back and ready to play great and all this other crap.

RussC
12-10-2006, 10:20 PM
3rd person,,, lawl,,,,

that was some funny ish

FuadFan
12-10-2006, 10:34 PM
I've wondered why people keep saying we need to blow our salary cap on a CB when Griffin looks to be a guy that will be our long term starter.

Chad8970
12-11-2006, 12:13 AM
Smoot is as good as gone.
However, like last year we realized how important it is to have a decent 3rd. corner.
If we could get a better pass rush, our secondary would look so much better.

Potus2028
12-11-2006, 12:14 AM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

With his style of play, I don't see any reason why they will keep Smoot on the Vikes after this season.. In Smoot's 2 years here, he has embarrassed the orginization, and himself on several of occasions.. Griffin is younger, more gifted, and all around better then Smoot.. I say we have us a new starting CB opposite of Winfield..

i agree

the biggest thing smoot did today was draw a pass interference call or illegal touch, i cant remember which..

bye bye smoot, sorry you let us down

hello griffin.. keep having games like that next year.. hawaii might be in your future years

Gift
12-11-2006, 12:15 AM
I think we have a keeper.
Give him a couple years & maybe we have another #26.

CCthebest
12-11-2006, 12:18 AM
He got burned a few times today, but i love the guy. And I thought he was a bad 2nd round pick. Hope im wrong about Cook too.

cc21
12-11-2006, 12:36 AM
"nephilimstorm" wrote:

I say Greg Blue starts for Dwight Smith see what he can do lol

Ok I wont get drastic. lol
I don't necassarily want him to start for Smith but I really want to see him get more playing time. Man that guy can stick people.

singersp
12-11-2006, 06:40 AM
"Potus2028" wrote:

The biggest thing smoot did today was draw a pass interference call or illegal touch, i cant remember which..

Try posting facts for a change. During the time Smoot played, he had 6 tackles & two assists & made a couple of key tackles/knock aways.

Griffin had 2 tackles all day plus a pick & a forced fumble.

I do agree however, when it comes to more bang for your buck, Griffin has the overpaid Smoot beaten. The guy can flat out hit.

whackthepack
12-11-2006, 09:19 AM
"CCthebest" wrote:

He got burned a few times today, but i love the guy. And I thought he was a bad 2nd round pick. Hope im wrong about Cook too.

When did he get burned?

He had good coverage on Roy Williams all day, and he never let Willliams get big yardage after the catch.
Sure Roy had some big catches but he is a damn good receiver even tho I think he is a load mouth you still have to give him his props.

NodakPaul
12-11-2006, 09:22 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"CCthebest" wrote:

When did he get burned?

He had good coverage on Roy Williams all day, and he never let Willliams get big yardage after the catch.
Sure Roy had some big catches but he is a gol 'darnit good receiver even tho I think he is a load mouth you still have to give him his props.

I didn't see him get burned.
He had a couple of rookie mistakes and penalties, but overall I thought he had a great game.
He did a great Job on Williams for the most part.

snowinapril
12-11-2006, 10:25 AM
Liked Griffen from the moment we picked him!

Didnt' think he would get this kind of playing time this year.
This is good!

With a few more games this season, and another offseason to learn, next year is looking better already.

NodakPaul
12-11-2006, 10:31 AM
"Potus2028" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

i agree

the biggest thing smoot did today was draw a pass interference call or illegal touch, i cant remember which..

hello griffin.. keep having games like that next year.. hawaii might be in your future years

Smoot had a decent game.
How does this always turn into a bash smoot thread? ::)
For the record, Smoot got called on one defensive pass interference penalty.
Griffin got called on two penalties, both of which resulted in a first down.
Smoot also rolled over the top to make the tackle on Williams when he got behind Griffin several times.

Just because Griffin played a good game doesn't mean that Smoot had a bad one. ::)

thevikingfan
12-11-2006, 10:37 AM
he had an interception a forced fumble and a fumble rcovery this game.I would say he is coming aloing nicely

1800CULPEPPER
12-11-2006, 10:46 AM
I think he kicks a$$. I was happy to hear when we drafted him.

Zeus
12-11-2006, 11:27 AM
"michaelmazid" wrote:

I hate to beat a dead horse but man fred smoot is worst corner in the history.

How quickly they forget the days of Wasswa Serwanga.

=Z=

cyviking
12-11-2006, 11:28 AM
nice to have a draft pick actually contributing in a big way. been awhile since thats happened it seems.

Zeus
12-11-2006, 11:30 AM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"michaelmazid" wrote:

I hate to beat a dead horse but man fred smoot is worst corner in the history.

How quickly they forget the days of Wasswa Serwanga.

That would be 2001, for the newbies out there, when the Vikings were forced to move Robert Tate from WR to CB because they sucked so bad.

Whine about Smoot all you want (and I blame Smoot for the pimples on my butt), but there have been MUCH MUCH MUCH worse corners on the Vikings roster in recent years.

=Z=

Potus2028
12-11-2006, 12:34 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"Potus2028" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

i agree

Smoot had a decent game.
How does this always turn into a bash smoot thread? ::)
For the record, Smoot got called on one defensive pass interference penalty.
Griffin got called on two penalties, both of which resulted in a first down.
Smoot also rolled over the top to make the tackle on Williams when he got behind Griffin several times.

Just because Griffin played a good game doesn't mean that Smoot had a bad one. ::)

its just upsetting to see a big pick up from the other year, one that was supposed to beef up our secondary is getting shown up by a rookie

and btw way, singer, sorry i didnt get the stats, i had to post quick and leave, my mistake, i wont make any more extemperaneous points like that, my bad

Del Rio
12-11-2006, 12:39 PM
We have a pretty solid set of CB's it is nice to have some depth.

Del Rio
12-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Oh and for anyone who is wondering about Fred Smoots future with our team.

2005 1400000.00
2006 800000.00
2007 2700000.00
2008 4900000.00
2009 5600000.00
2010 4900000.00

Where does the team draw the line on over paying a nickle back. 2.7? Maybe we can swing that. 4.9 no way in hell.

So he will either be back in the starting role, or he will be gone by 2008.

Prophet
12-11-2006, 12:45 PM
"Del" wrote:

Oh and for anyone who is wondering about Fred Smoots future with our team.

2005 1400000.00
2006 800000.00
2007 2700000.00
2008 4900000.00
2009 5600000.00
2010 4900000.00

Where does the team draw the line on over paying a nickle back. 2.7? Maybe we can swing that. 4.9 no way in hell.

So he will either be back in the starting role, or he will be gone by 2008.

He will either have his contract restructured or will be tossed into FA to test the market and the Vikings will sign him if they still want him for much less than those figures.
My guess is that will happen this offseason.

V4L
12-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Griffin will KNOCK U OUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

One Love

digital420
12-11-2006, 12:51 PM
with Griffen in the mix, we hvae 3 very solid nfl cb's. with a cuople prospects in the backup roles we are good and set here.

my dad said griffen was a steal when we got him, i had to always argue for smoot with him. i will say in my mind griffen has shown that he will be a beast of a cb, and Tomlin is just the guy i want teaching him!! he will be better then smoot, i just don't think he's there yet.

DiGiTaL

V4L
12-11-2006, 12:55 PM
I always knew Griffin was gnarly in college.. Didn't get why people were complaining about the pick..

What I wanna do is trade Smoot for like a 4th rounder.. Start Winny and Griffin and have Devonte as our Nickle..

We need physical corners who can tackle.. It's key in our system.. Like Winny or Ronde Barber.. So Griffin and Winny are our 1 and 2 next year.. Throw in Devonte then Whittaker for 4th and we are good :)

One Love

Jviking
12-11-2006, 02:40 PM
Just like everyone else, I am pumped to see griffin playing so well.
Are people comming down on smith now?
and don't we get tank in next year?

Del Rio
12-11-2006, 02:47 PM
"Jviking" wrote:

I think Tank is a free agent after this season.

snowinapril
12-11-2006, 02:57 PM
"Jviking" wrote:

Smith has been on the wrong end of a couple of key receptions by our opponents.

How about Dvonte Edwards?
I think he is back next year??

Zeus
12-11-2006, 03:23 PM
"Del" wrote:

"Jviking" wrote:

Tank signed a 1-year-deal.

=Z=

Zeus
12-11-2006, 03:25 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"Jviking" wrote:

=Z=

And he's listed as being an unrestricted free agent.

http://www.theredzone.org/2007/freeagents/showposition.asp?Position=S

=Z=

Zeus
12-11-2006, 03:26 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"Jviking" wrote:

Smith has been on the wrong end of a couple of key receptions by our opponents.

How about Dvonte Edwards?
I think he is back next year??

Devonte Edwards is signed through 2007.

http://www.nflpa.com/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx?id=37853

=Z=

whackthepack
12-11-2006, 03:36 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"AWZeus" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"Jviking" wrote:

=Z=

And he's listed as being an unrestricted free agent.

http://www.theredzone.org/2007/freeagents/showposition.asp?Position=S

=Z=

He is a FA but is working out at Winter Park to rehab and he said in an interview about 3 or 4 weeks ago that he likes the organization and wants to return to next with the Vikes.

I do not see Whitaker being back next year with the Vikes.

Del Rio
12-11-2006, 03:41 PM
If I was Tank williams coming off a broken Knee cap, not being able to play the entire season.............I would be kissing the Vikings ass too.

It doesn't matter if he wants to play here or not, the question is do we want to resign the guy. I have my doubts that they will.

whackthepack
12-11-2006, 03:57 PM
"Del" wrote:

If I was Tank williams coming off a broken Knee cap, not being able to play the entire season.............I would be kissing the Vikings jiggly butt too.

It doesn't matter if he wants to play here or not, the question is do we want to resign the guy. I have my doubts that they will.

He will be cheap enough and I think having Tank, Sharper, Smith and Blue solidifies that position for us.

Ltrey33
12-11-2006, 04:17 PM
"Del" wrote:

If I was Tank williams coming off a broken Knee cap, not being able to play the entire season.............I would be kissing the Vikings jiggly butt too.

With Sharper moved to SS and Smith playing as well as he is, I doubt we see Tank back, unless he agrees to be a backup that is.

FreakinVikingsBaby
12-11-2006, 04:29 PM
He can't expect to be a garunteed starter anywhere in the nfl coming off of a broken knee cap.

modena11
12-11-2006, 05:25 PM
griffin is much better suited for the cover 2 than smoot since he is a much more aggressive and better tackler.

i don't understand why people want to get rid of smoot. we have some great depth at CB now, and people want to get rid of smoot. some teams are lucky to have two quality starters, we have three. no, but lets get rid of smoot.

and griffin is under his rookie contract and we are the best at cap management and have tons of room, so please stop bitching about smoots contract. if he wants to stay, he probaby will have to restructure.

people need to pull their heads out of their asses and enjoy what we have instead of just blaming smoot and hating on him and then praising griffin and all of his glory.

Del Rio
12-12-2006, 11:46 AM
"modena11" wrote:

griffin is much better suited for the cover 2 than smoot since he is a much more aggressive and better tackler.

i don't understand why people want to get rid of smoot. we have some great depth at CB now, and people want to get rid of smoot. some teams are lucky to have two quality starters, we have three. no, but lets get rid of smoot.

and griffin is under his rookie contract and we are the best at cap management and have tons of room, so please stop bitching about smoots contract. if he wants to stay, he probaby will have to restructure.

people need to pull their heads out of their dimply buttocks and enjoy what we have instead of just blaming smoot and hating on him and then praising griffin and all of his glory.

Well it could have something to do with the boat load of money we will be paying him over the next few years. Now if he agrees to a new contract then I think a lot of people would let it go. In 2008 he will be making way too much for a nickle back.

NodakPaul
12-12-2006, 11:58 AM
"Del" wrote:

"modena11" wrote:

people need to pull their heads out of their dimply buttocks and enjoy what we have instead of just blaming smoot and hating on him and then praising griffin and all of his glory.

Well it could have something to do with the boat load of money we will be paying him over the next few years. Now if he agrees to a new contract then I think a lot of people would let it go. In 2008 he will be making way too much for a nickle back.

Honestly, I don't think people here will ever stop Smoot bashing, even if he does restructure his contract.
Hell, some people here blame Smoot everytime the Vikings get burned (regardless of whether Smoot is even on the field...).
If he took a cut in pay the Smoot Haters would just say, "See, I told you he sucked.
He even had to take a cut in pay..."

It is moot anyway.
I like Smoot.
But I like Griffin better.
Right now Smoot still has decent trade value, so I see him leaving us in the offseason...

Prophet
12-12-2006, 11:59 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"modena11" wrote:

Honestly, I don't think people here will ever stop Smoot bashing, even if he does restructure his contract.
Hell, some people here blame Smoot everytime the Vikings get burned (regardless of whether Smoot is even on the field...).
If he took a cut in pay the Smoot Haters would just say, "See, I told you he sucked.

It is moot anyway.
I like Smoot.
Right now Smoot still has decent trade value, so I see him leaving us in the offseason...

....it's Smoot's fault.

Del Rio
12-12-2006, 12:11 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"modena11" wrote:

It is moot anyway.
I like Smoot.

Honestly I think his play has improved at Nickle. He would be a great Nickle to have on a team with experience to step into the main role if an injury occurs. I just can't see paying him that much for it.

You're probably right though, I think to some people it is more then football related. Boat Scandal, being in the news for pushing some lady down.......... I think there are many people who would rather just have him gone. Either way works for me.

cajunvike
12-12-2006, 12:18 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"modena11" wrote:

It is moot anyway.
I like Smoot.

Is Smoot moot because of his loot...or should we give him the boot?

Zeus
12-12-2006, 01:56 PM
"Acumen" wrote:

....it's Smoot's fault.

...that it's raining today.
...that it's only 12:55 pm.
...that the guy in the cube next to me stinks.
...the project manager on this project is a complete idiot.
...e. coli is breaking out at fast-food Taco Johns restaurants in the midwest

=Z=

singersp
12-12-2006, 08:54 PM
"Del" wrote:

You're probably right though, I think to some people it is more then football related. Boat Scandal, being in the news for pushing some lady down.......... I think there are many people who would rather just have him gone. Either way works for me.

Yet they slobber all over McKinnies jock & overlook & never mention the fact that he was having a McSlurppy on the boat.

Gotta give the Smoot haters an ounce of credit though. Nary a one of them blamed Smoot for Brad's pick on Sunday.

Prophet
12-12-2006, 11:34 PM
Griffin honored (http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/?p=351)
Tuesday, December 12th, 2006
by Judd Zulgad

Vikings rookie cornerback Cedric Griffin has been named the NFC defensive player of the week for his performance in a 30-20 victory over Detroit on Sunday.

Griffin, who replaced Fred Smoot as the starter at right cornerback three games ago, had an interception, a fumble recovery, a forced fumble, two passes broken up and three tackles.

He is the first Vikings cornerback to earn the honor since Brian Williams won the award for his performance against Detroit in November 2003. Griffin becomes the fourth Vikings cornerback to be named NFC defensive player of the week, joining Williams, Carl Lee (December 1988) and Rufus Bess (September 1985).

vIker44
12-13-2006, 01:58 AM
"michaelmazid" wrote:

Griffin is the real deal. Not one of those soft corners that hate to tackle like fred smoot

I hate to beat a dead horse but man fred smoot is worst corner in the history. every pass that was completed seemed to be to the guy that smoot was covering. I say we cut him on monday and give his contract to C.Griffin cause that boy is the real deal

It's far past time to give Smoot the Poot the boot....
what I don't understand is why some people still defend the guy when it's beyond all proof that he sucks....
plus his "gangsta" act is so old and dated.....
If he were a likeable person I could sort of see trying to stick up for him, but he a loud mouth braggart with zero game............

Let me edit to add that Griffin has a real nice learning curve going....
he may not become a "shut down" corner, but he looks like he'll become a top CB in this league within a couple years, heck, maybe even by mid of next season.....
love his work ethic, attitude, and natural ability.........

digital420
12-13-2006, 04:42 AM
"vIker44" wrote:

"michaelmazid" wrote:

what I don't understand is why some people still defend the guy when it's beyond all proof that he sucks....
If he were a likeable person I could sort of see trying to stick up for him, but he a loud mouth braggart with zero game............

he may not become a "shut down" corner, but he looks like he'll become a top CB in this league within a couple years, heck, maybe even by mid of next season.....

ok i can understand why people are irked cause we're payin smoot a LOT!!

but the guy doesn't suck, he's been playing well actually.

last game i saw him 2x break up a pass.. in the right position, and in man 2 man.
maybe he needed a humbling.. maybe griffen has awaken the desire in him to be a top CB again. I agree he's well overpaid to be a nickle. but honestly, the smoot haters are either blind by rage, envy, or some form of anti-smoot gogles. Ok same can be said for me, wearing purple shades,
and where i'll be one of the first to back smoot, i can say that i'm not overly impressed by him, nor do i think he deserves the $ he's banking in.

I would rather see us hold on to smoot for another year. solidify the depth, and have a solid presence where he's able to play. (shrug)
he's a good player, that wasn't playing to his ability. lets see if the rookie can push him back up again.

DiGiTaL

Del Rio
12-13-2006, 07:35 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

Yet they slobber all over McKinnies jock & overlook & never mention the fact that he was having a McSlurppy on the boat.

Gotta give the Smoot haters an ounce of credit though. Nary a one of them blamed Smoot for Brad's pick on Sunday.

I think the difference is Smoot is loud and in your face, or at least he was. You never hear a word from Mckinnie. I will agree though Mckinnie is just as much a trouble maker as Smoot was, I think I even remember him being part of some gas station brawl or something.

singersp
12-13-2006, 07:40 AM
"Del" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

I think the difference is Smoot is loud and in your face, or at least he was. You never hear a word from Mckinnie. I will agree though Mckinnie is just as much a trouble maker as Smoot was, I think I even remember him being part of some gas station brawl or something.

He & another player were involved in a spat with a disgruntled fan, but the witnesses stated the female fan was the instigator & the case was dropped.

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=150&topic=14117.0

There was also that incident were he & Memo were getting rid of party trash shortly after the boat incident were the reporter went dumpster diving for evidence against them. There was a big todo about it.

In the bags of garbage was apparently stuff from the love boats. And they have a on Vikings letter head that has names & phone numbers of women, flights and arrival times, times for the women to be picked up.

In the bags was also other things, and from the just of the interview the have condoms and toys from the party.

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=150&topic=15377.0

Zeus
12-13-2006, 08:44 AM
"digital420" wrote:

ok i can understand why people are irked cause we're payin smoot a LOT!!

but the guy doesn't suck, he's been playing well actually.

Here's why Smoot bothers me (and I couldn't give two hoots about the boat thing):
* He doesn't tackle with his arms or wrap up
* He doesn't play special teams (like Winfield and D. Smith)
* When he plays off the receiver, he seems to slip a lot when he breaks on the WR
* He yaps his mouth and then doesn't make big plays to back it up
* He's paid big dollars and he hasn't played at a level to justify it

Yes, I joke a bit about "It's Smoot's Fault" because it's funny to me.
But the bottom line is that when he's on the field, the production just isn't there.

=Z=

Del Rio
12-13-2006, 08:56 AM
What concerns me is his weight gain. Why?

He says it is for durability. Yet he still managed to get hurt, from poor tackling form. He says he hasn't lost a step, well why are you now playing Nickle then? The only time the guy is in the news is for something going bad at one of his parties, and to top it off we are paying him alot.

So it makes me wonder, Smoot if you have all this dedication to parties, then why are you playing Nickle? Because your fat ass is slacking off and enjoying the pay check. To me when you are a professional athlete it is your job, and it should encompass your entire life. You shouldn't eat things that can hurt you from doing your job, you shouldn't be staying out late if it will impair your production. They get paid more then enough to justify it. Do I want my surgeon out drinking and partying on Saturday if he has to operate on me come Sunday morning? Hell no.

The guy has talent and I think he is not inspired to use it. I think he is comfortable getting paid and having fun. He is coasting at Nickle, he is good enough to be more, but I think he has thrown in the towel.

No I do not have proof of that, it is just what I feel is happening, and that is why I say if he doesn't restructure he will be shipped off.

singersp
12-13-2006, 09:10 AM
"AWZeus" wrote:

Yes, I joke a bit about "It's Smoot's Fault" because it's funny to me.
But the bottom line is that when he's on the field, the production just isn't there.

Here's why Smoot bothers me (and I couldn't give two hoots about the boat thing):

* He doesn't tackle with his arms or wrap up

He didn't at the beginning of the season, but I've seen him wrapping up players in the latter half of the season.

* He doesn't play special teams (like Winfield and D. Smith)

Winfield and D. Smith are better tacklers as is Griffin. That is why they are on special teams.

* When he plays off the receiver, he seems to slip a lot when he breaks on the WR

Saw that earlier in the season & have to question why myself. Has he been doing it lately?

* He yaps his mouth and then doesn't make big plays to back it up

LOL! I haven't heard of him yapping his mouth since training camp. Smith & Sharper have been doing the yapping during the season, not Smoot.

* He's paid big dollars and he hasn't played at a level to justify it

That one I agree with you on 100%. The performance does not equal the pay. But because a player is overpaid, it doesn't mean the player sux.

His agent got him a contract & the Vikings agreed to it & signed it.

NodakPaul
12-13-2006, 09:14 AM
"Del" wrote:

The guy has talent and I think he is not inspired to use it. I think he is comfortable getting paid and having fun. He is coasting at Nickle, he is good enough to be more, but I think he has thrown in the towel.

I am not so sure I can agree that his partying has affected his game, but I agree with the above statement.
I think Smoot gave up on Minnesota sometime after Minnesota gave up on him (which was sometime after both the Carolina game and the boat scandal).
Now he is just biding his time.

Del Rio
12-13-2006, 09:20 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

I am not so sure I can agree that his partying has affected his game, but I agree with the above statement.
I think Smoot gave up on Minnesota sometime after Minnesota gave up on him (which was sometime after both the Carolina game and the boat scandal).

I can't say it has affected his game either. All I know is everytime he makes news it's a party, he has gained weight, his production is down, and he is playing Nickle, so that was just my own conclusion.

Maybe Minnesota did give up on him, I don't know, but I do know the way the Vikings treated Brian Williams when they brought Smoot in was uncalled for and this may all just be a big serving of Karma.

NodakPaul
12-13-2006, 09:26 AM
"vIker44" wrote:

"michaelmazid" wrote:

The reason Smoot comes up in heated discussions so often is because of posts like the two quoted above.
The worst corner in history?
Every completed pass was to Smoot's man (I suppose they must not have completed any passes when the nickel package wasn't it ::))?

Smoot Haters should take note of some of Del's or Zeus's arguments.
Instead of blindly attacking Smoot, they back up their statements with facts.
Piss poor tackling.
Too much money to play nickel.
These are good arguments.
Beyond all proof that he sucks?
Give me a break.

I think I have gotten somewhat of a reputation of being a Smoot Lover because I am always in the threads defending him.
The funny part is that I am not.
I was happy that Griffin got promoted because I see a lot of potential in him.
I think Smoot's trade value is worth more than his on the field production, so I hope we ship him out for a draft pick.
However, I will defend Smoot (or any other player) against asinine comments that are not based in any type of fact.

Zeus
12-13-2006, 09:29 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"vIker44" wrote:

"michaelmazid" wrote:

The reason Smoot comes up in heated discussions so often is because of posts like the two quoted above.
Every completed pass was to Smoot's man (I suppose they must not have completed any passes when the nickel package wasn't it ::))?

Piss poor tackling.
Give me a break.

I think I have gotten somewhat of a reputation of being a Smoot Lover because I am always in the threads defending him.
I think Smoot's trade value is worth more than his on the field production, so I hope we ship him out for a draft pick.
However, I will defend Smoot (or any other player) against asinine comments that are not based in any type of fact.

Speaking of facts, what is Smoot's Madden tackling rating?

:)

=Z=

Ltrey33
12-13-2006, 09:30 AM
"Del" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

I can't say it has affected his game either. All I know is everytime he makes news it's a party, he has gained weight, his production is down, and he is playing Nickle, so that was just my own conclusion.

Maybe Minnesota did give up on him, I don't know, but I do know the way the Vikings treated Brian Williams when they brought Smoot in was uncalled for and this may all just be a big serving of Karma.

True...too bad Karma costs so much damned money.

cajunvike
12-13-2006, 11:36 AM
Go Griffin Go!!!!!!!!

Jviking
12-13-2006, 11:59 AM
I love this guy.
I might need to get his jersey!!!

FreakinVikingsBaby
12-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Agreed, how we treated B-Will was crap. I never thought he was that bad when we got Smoot. I thought Smoot would be an improvement, but that it wasn't that neccessary. Where is he now?

vIker44
12-13-2006, 08:01 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"vIker44" wrote:

"michaelmazid" wrote:

Piss poor tackling.
Give me a break.

Just want to point out I never said he was "the worst CB in history" linking me to that other poster is not correct.....
to say he sucks beyond all proof is a true statement......
Arizona nearly made a comeback because they picked on the Poot down the stretch of the game....
just watch the tape.....
then he injures his hand and stops the clock for AZ......
not his ankle, or foot, or knee, his freakin' hand....
what a team player that makes him???
No it makes him a wimp and not very bright.....
the guy barely started lifting weights this season....
he had one of the worst bench presses for a CB when he got drafted during the Combine, thus he shows his arrogance.....
unless the tackle is straight on he'll always avoid the hard contact.....
and when he does get involved with real NFL contact he's such a small weak man he gets injured....
he's one of the shortest and smallest CBs in the league (Winfield is as well but he has game)....
his coverage ability is rarely good.....
he has mid-level speed......
bottom line is Poot stinks............

nephilimstorm
12-15-2006, 05:04 PM
Griffin is the man!! Jersey I need. LOL