PDA

View Full Version : Still time to make fixes, Childress says

singersp
12-05-2006, 07:58 AM
Still time to make fixes, Childress says (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/16165144.htm)

Posted on Tue, Dec. 05, 2006

Vikings' offense, special teams criticized

BY DON SEEHOLZER
Pioneer Press

Prophet
12-05-2006, 09:50 AM
As Yogi Berra said, 'It ain't over 'till it's over.'

cajunvike
12-05-2006, 11:01 AM
Yeah...put TJ in and let us see what he can do!

whackthepack
12-05-2006, 11:10 AM
First off, me and Darren Sharper just decided that we were going to do what's asked of us and be where we're supposed to be," he said. "Stop trying to make plays and being out of position. That forced Grossman to pump the ball a lot because he didn't think we were going to be where we were. Hopefully, we'll continue to do this and see what happens."

Asked if he and Sharper had been freelancing in an effort to make plays, Smith said: "Early in the season, teams were hitting little things so we started leaning towards those little things. We just weren't playing complete technique football, and now we're trying to get back to it.

I like both of these guys but I don't know about these statements and how to take them.
They just decided to play how they wanted and not listen to the coaches and what schemes they wanted input?

vikes2456
12-05-2006, 11:29 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

First off, me and Darren Sharper just decided that we were going to do what's asked of us and be where we're supposed to be," he said. "Stop trying to make plays and being out of position. That forced Grossman to pump the ball a lot because he didn't think we were going to be where we were. Hopefully, we'll continue to do this and see what happens."

Asked if he and Sharper had been freelancing in an effort to make plays, Smith said: "Early in the season, teams were hitting little things so we started leaning towards those little things. We just weren't playing complete technique football, and now we're trying to get back to it.

I like both of these guys but I don't know about these statements and how to take them.
They just decided to play how they wanted and not listen to the coaches and what schemes they wanted input?

Well Sharper and Smith are both pretty good and intelligent players, so I imagine they get a lot of freedom when it comes to how they play

Del Rio
12-05-2006, 11:39 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

Sharper has always made his living taking chances.

This is what I was talking about earlier this year on that play where the WR took it to the house right before the half. Our Safties are not playing well.

That being said Cover 2 allows the saftey some freedom and about the only thing I can think is they are getting sucked in too shallow in order to make a play on a run. In other words they are not defending their respective sides of the field. They have a lot of ground to cover, if they get sucked in then it is over.

Prophet
12-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Playoff Race (http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/playoffrace/seeds)

Seed Team Record
1 Chicago
10-2 (NFC North champ)
2 New Orleans
8-4 (NFC South leader)
3 Seattle
8-4 (NFC West leader)
4 Dallas
8-4 (NFC East leader)
5 N.Y. Giants
6-6
6 Philadelphia
6-6
7 Atlanta
6-6
8 Carolina
6-6
9 San Francisco
5-7
10 Minnesota
5-7
11 St. Louis
5-7
12 Green Bay
4-8
13 Washington
4-8
14 Arizona
3-9
15 Tampa Bay
3-9
16 Detroit
2-10

AngloVike
12-05-2006, 02:35 PM
"Del" wrote:

Sharper has always made his living taking chances.

This is what I was talking about earlier this year on that play where the WR took it to the house right before the half. Our Safties are not playing well.

That being said Cover 2 allows the saftey some freedom and about the only thing I can think is they are getting sucked in too shallow in order to make a play on a run. In other words they are not defending their respective sides of the field. They have a lot of ground to cover, if they get sucked in then it is over.

the difference being that Sharper makes the plays that allow him an element of freelancing. Smoot on the other hand doesn't have the groundwork in that allows him to freelance at all.
Unfortunately doing things like this can set a bad influence on the younger defensive players

x-ray jeff
12-05-2006, 02:46 PM
This season has already been "defined".These last four games are BC's chance to salvage a little something for next year. I wish he could get away from the corporate speak stuff. I hear enough of that junk every day.

tastywaves
12-05-2006, 03:53 PM
"x-ray" wrote:

This season has already been "defined".These last four games are BC's chance to salvage a little something for next year. I wish he could get away from the corporate speak stuff. I hear enough of that junk every day.

Yes, he does a good job of not really saying anything when he speaks.
A lot of other coaches do as well, and don't know that I blame them, its just hard to get anything worthwhile out of their statements.