PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Thoughts and Observations

ultravikingfan
11-26-2006, 04:25 PM
Chester was a stud today!
The guy is not tired and has a lot left in his tank.
It is very relieving to see that we have a RB that claws and scrapes for the extra yard!
Also, Chester did a great job blocking!

BJ looked good today.
Yah, we saw of the dump-offs but you’ll have that with this offense.
He did have a lot of pressure on him today; but things got better in the 2nd half. You cannot say the guy is not tough!
And we got to see Brad’s wheels today.
I predict he will be a better running than Vick pretty soon!
Even though Brad had accuracy problems, at least we did attempt a number of deep passes.
Good job Brad!

Where was Troy?
Good, keep it that way!

The Cardinals get a huge thumbs-up for their penalty management…the managed to have some whoppers!
The refs even screwed them on the crackback…I thought that only happened to us!

I would’ve liked to see us get more pressure of opposing QB’s; cannot let that turd pick us apart.

Our pass Defense is still swiss cheese.
:-X
Jeez, we are really hurting there!
:'(

Our Special Teams…nothing special about them.
More like our Disability Teams the way they play.
Except for Gordon , he is alright in my book!

We are still in the hunt, lets not lose faith!
Hopefully the rest of the NFC sucks butt the next couple of weeks!

Dwight Smith, Fred Smoot (taking on the big hit), Ben Leber, Dugan, McMullen, Udeze, Farwell, M-Rob…they all did really well!

That fumble was BS!
The refs did decide to screw us!
Grrrrrr!
>:(

Why at the end of the game would they even think about going for 2 when they still needed a TD to win either way?
Dopes.

And the onside kick!!!!
Dang!!!
What is wrong with us!
Grad the ball!

I think the fans in the stands dressed like Childress were calling the plays; that I would believe.

This was looking like a sweet win, now it is just a win!

Brad haters…TAKE THE WEEK OFF!
;D

petrodemos
11-26-2006, 04:29 PM
were certainly not a 4th quarter team this year.

NuJerseyDevil93
11-26-2006, 04:29 PM
WE BEAT THE CARDS!!I was getting nervous at the end but D.Smith intercepted it at the last second.

Ltrey33
11-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Well, you can thank the Refs for that one being so close. There's no doubt Chester was down on that fumble return. That was a load of bullcrap.

Anywho...Chester had a great game. Congrats to him!

Brad had a great game as well...it was nice to see him come out and perform.

The protection was MUCH better today. That right side, with Whittle and Rosey/Cook outplayed the Hicks/Johnson combo by FAR.

The defense only gave up 13 points all game, another great performance by them. I find it satisfying that people have just given up trying to run on us. We gave up a lot of passing yards again, but it was bend don't break.

Special teams were awful for a lot of the day.

We had a great day today on both sides of the ball, IMO. The only reason that game was close was because of that awful call on Chester's "fumble". I don't want to get cocky though because the Cardinals ARE 2-9.

It was nice to see a win though!
;D

D_Sharp_24
11-26-2006, 04:34 PM
I agree with pretty much everything except the statement about t-will, i understand he has a a lot of people on him right cuz he has hands problems lol but he is still young... we used a 1st round draft pick on him, i am not gonna dump on him yet lol i think if we just use him in a limited role get him a catch here or there then work hard with him in the offseason i think he has great potential. I have faith in him
;)

vikes2456
11-26-2006, 04:37 PM
Those Cardinals announcers had no reason to complain, the very play that allowed the cards to comeback was BS (from what I heard). Speaking of which, does anyone have a video of the Taylor fumble?

Man that game made me nervous though, but I'll take a win.

It's good to see BJ perform well again.

Chester-Was a stud, still need to see the video on the supposed "fumble"

Run D-Cards didn't even try :)

Pass D-Gave up big yards, but had a lot of passes thrown against them. Still would like to see them improve.

Man does victory feel nice

Prophet
11-26-2006, 04:43 PM
The youth of the team shows up again.
The offense finally shows up and the special teams suck it up.
If they can ever get the three units functioning at the same time the team will be a lot less stressful to watch.

vikes2456
11-26-2006, 04:45 PM
"Acumen" wrote:

The youth of the team shows up again.
The offense finally shows up and the special teams suck it up.
If they can ever get the three units functioning at the same time the team will be a lot less stressful to watch.

Very true, my heart rate is still a little higher than normal

PurplePeopleEaters
11-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Chester Taylor with 999 yards on the season. Great game running by him. Kept the defense on its heels and broke a few for big first downs.

I noticed a few things though. All of the things that fans have been wanting fixed pretty much got fixed today.

Wiggins was more involved in the offense and got us some crucial first downs. Dugan and Kleinsasser had some catches too, dugan getting one for a TD showing me that the Tight end is getting more involved in the offense.

We took some shots downfield and we looked like a REAL passing offense. It was such a relief to see gains of more than 5 on pass plays. Brad Johnson looked very good throwing the ball.

The o-line got fixed. Sure it's the cards D but they got Brad tons more protection than hicks and johnson did. I would love to see cook get some more snaps too.

Troy got benched- the receivers caught the ball. Nothing else can be said there. Mcmullen caught the ball, Marcus had an awesome game, Travis made some nice catches. That's how it should ALWAYS be. No more drops.

The pass rush and pass defense needs some work but we've fixed the majority of the problems we had. now the true test is if we can keep those problems up against the bears.

SKOL.

marantzo
11-26-2006, 04:49 PM
The poor bettors who bet the Vikings and laid the points.

kramer9guy
11-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Another close game...sheesh.

Congrats to Brad, Chester, Marcus Robinson and our new "patchwork" offensive line (as the second rate announcers so eloquently put it). The offense seemed like the least of our woes today. They finally played up to their ability. I just wish things didn't get so conservative towards the end of the game. We should have been playing to win, not playing to not lose like we ended up doing. Also congrats to another game where we completely stopped the run.

But...jeers to another game where our pass defense looked as bad as ever (congrats to Cedric Griffin though for a pretty good performance), our special teams struggled on some of the kickoffs (opening kickoff for the TD, onside kick) and Troy Williamson drops another long ball for a possible TD (old news but I had to mention it anyway).

And what was up with half the Metrodome emptying out as the 4th quarter got underway? Now those are some hardcore fans. Quite frankly it was a little embarrassing.

All in all, I'm glad we got the win and I'm going to enjoy it because it's been a while.

Cheers!

UndisputedVike
11-26-2006, 04:53 PM
Smoot play really well I thought, I think he deserves his job back to be honest. I didn't like the benching from the start, Griffin showed his inexperience today and it's not a good mix when the Cards WR's are really really good.

Our pass D is awful despite being thrown on so much, we still are awful. Our WR's played excellent today, top notch. Troy showed why he was benched he dropped the only pass his way. Chester's fumble is troubling and he needs to work that out because it's not helping, that's 2nd time in 2 weeks he fumbled and it was retunred for a TD.

Brad played very good as well, if he can stay consistent then maybe we still have a shot. The Panther's lost and so did the Falcons so we are still in it very very much. Though we need to really make some adjustments about our Pass D and D line.

BadlandsVikings
11-26-2006, 04:58 PM
A win is a win, but we need to work on stupid penalties and a lot on pass defense.
BJ did great.

mr.woo
11-26-2006, 05:00 PM
"UndisputedVike" wrote:

Smoot play really well I thought, I think he deserves his job back to be honest. I didn't like the benching from the start, Griffin showed his inexperience today and it's not a good mix when the Cards WR's are really really good.

Our pass D is awful despite being thrown on so much, we still are awful. Our WR's played excellent today, top notch. Troy showed why he was benched he dropped the only pass his way. Chester's fumble is troubling and he needs to work that out because it's not helping, that's 2nd time in 2 weeks he fumbled and it was retunred for a TD.

Brad played very good as well, if he can stay consistent then maybe we still have a shot. The Panther's lost and so did the Falcons so we are still in it very very much. Though we need to really make some adjustments about our Pass D and D line.

you mean the d line that is the best in the league at stopping the run?

shockzilla
11-26-2006, 05:03 PM
First off, I'd like to say...NICE to see a victory!!!
;D

CHEERS to:

Brad Johnson - he stepped up and came through with a big game

Chester Taylor - he looked good right from the start, and ran hard and well all day. That fumble call, though? Very poor...

The run defense AGAIN - they stepped up as usual

The wide receivers - They HUNG ONTO the ball!!! And they worked to get open, which was a nice sight to see...

The D as a whole - coming up with the turnovers when we needed them!

JEERS to:

The referees - bad calls on both sides, something has GOT to be done with these clowns

Vikes' pass defense - carved up like the Thanksgiving turkey I had Thursday...

Vikes' special teams - not special AT ALL... sloppy tackling attempts all day.

Overall, a good win when we needed it, and Brad Johnson stepped up!

Feels good!
;D

Prophet
11-26-2006, 05:03 PM
The easiest way the D can improve is by increasing pressure on the QB.
There isn't a secondary in the league that can keep receivers covered if the QB has time to make all the reads.
I have no basis in saying this other than observational opinion, but what happened to the blitz packages?
It seems like they have fallen off during the losing streak.

Storm
11-26-2006, 05:05 PM
First of all, I'll take the win! :D

On the positive side, the offense did look better. We mixed it up some with longer throws and got our TE's more involved. BJ didnt turn the ball over, which is crucial for this O. But the pass D... They attempted only five runs all game, that's as one-dimensional as it ever gonna get. And we still gave up more than 400 yards passing. I know that our seconday is bad, but this bad? ???

Ayresd
11-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Talk about Heart in Mouth.

Phew. But, think on, dare I mention it, look at all the teams on 5-6...

Can the Pats beat the Bears now, can the Titans knock the Giants back, Indy must take the Eagles. Who does it favor us to win? the **ckers or the Hawks.

We have them Bears next..

Sounds like the last day of the season already.

Is there a chance, even hope ? ? ?.

nflvikings4455
11-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Wow..our offense really improved, what was it about 2 3 and outs? nice. Chester kept it going today and BJ stepped up this week. I got nervous at the end there but it turned out good with d.smith having a good day.

The reffs were TERRIBLE! especially on the Chester fumble on the 1....also if anyone remembers that facemask call that got waved??? He took chesters helmate off my the facemask!! w/e, we finally win one.

BadlandsVikings
11-26-2006, 05:17 PM
I hate those last second wins,
I can't stand holding my breath that long.

UndisputedVike
11-26-2006, 05:18 PM
"mr.woo" wrote:

"UndisputedVike" wrote:

you mean the d line that is the best in the league at stopping the run?

Yes because they are not getting pressure, Udeze isn't doing much, Scott hasn't done nothing as of late, Edwards is doing alright from time to time, he was non-exsistant last week. We need more pressure, simple as that.

RK.
11-26-2006, 05:19 PM
The win was great but we need to get a whole lot better all around.
The only part of our game that is fine the way it is is the run defense.
:)

modena11
11-26-2006, 05:43 PM
all i can take from this game is we beat the cards. i will enjoy this win, as they seem to be coming few and far between.

positives from the game:

- brad didn't make any mistakes or turnovers. a nice solid performance, and hey, he topped 250 today and 3tds. johnson for MVP.

- chester. we obviously have to realize since this is his first year as a starter, you are going to get that durability/fatigue arguement, but he proved them wrong. he dominated vs a poor team, what a RB needs to do.

- run defence. no need to say more.

- o-line. the rosey/whittle/cook triplett better retain their respective spots on the right side. this game was a good enough job for them to keep their spots.

negatives:

- secondary. teams apparently dont need to run vs us because they can just put up 350+. i dont understand it either. it is truely mindboggling. we take away the run, so it makes teams one dimensional but we cant stop the pass. we can't get to the QB which is driving me crazy and our zones are getting picked apart.

- special teams. someone said disability teams.......hurhurhur, i couldnt agree more.

it was the cards, but a win is a win. and right now i couldnt care less how we put up a W.

BigMoInAZ
11-26-2006, 05:52 PM
We won!
Now to hope we can pull off a MIRACLE and beat the Bears in Chicago!

GOOD LUCK! ;)

mnvikes61
11-26-2006, 05:53 PM
I don't know about anybody else, but this game was reminding me of that game we had and then lost in AZ. I was figuring Fitz or Boldin was going to come down with that ball in the endzone.

I was suprised to see us get away from the run in the 3rd/4th quarter. Johnson was dropping back it seemed most of the time. I knew Taylor needed some rest, isn't that why we have other running backs? I am not a huge Memo fan, but I will never fully understand why we do not use any other back unless it's 3rd down.

EK49
11-26-2006, 05:58 PM
Overall, I think they played well.

Pass def. needs a over haul.

Special teams needs tweaked again.

and we need some Refs. that are not in some ones pocket.

3 very bad calls in this game.

VikesfaninWis
11-26-2006, 06:02 PM
Good to see our offense come alive for once.. See what happens when Williamson isn't the primary target? We needed that out of our offense today, or we would have been beaten bad.. Our secondary was horrible today.. I understand that 2 of their TD's didn't came by way of their offense, but for Leinart to have over 400 yards passing, and 2 of their WR's to have well over 100 yards recieving is just down right unacceptable.

Nice to see that our offense had 4 scores today.. We shot ourselves in the foot with penalties yet again, but we won the game, and that is what counts.. Chester looked like he was going in for his 2nd TD of the game, but that fumble sucked.. He had a solid game again, and has showed that he is a feature back in the NFL.. That game never should have been that close, so they need alot of work to close games out.. We got the W, so I will be happy for at least the next week..

Prophet
11-26-2006, 06:04 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

...Brad haters…TAKE THE WEEK OFF!

;D

Everybody needs a vacation every once in a while.

AngloVike
11-26-2006, 06:18 PM
First up - great to meet Singer and his daughter - apparently my new jersey made me stand out and easy to find
;D

Positives - good to see our offense get some points on the board at long last. Kudos to Chester Taylor for another good day and also to MRob who reminded us that Viking WRs can catch the balls. Always seems that we live it to the last gasp on a drive before we shake off the conservative play calling and open things up a little - be nice if we saw that earlier on 1st or even second down.
Penalties were better controlled today though one or two that were avoidable.
Brad Johnson had a good day today and it looked as if the OL was pass protecting a lot better today as well which helped.

Negatives - Special teams need to wake up, you can't allow the opening KO to be run back for a TD, that plus punt coverage was not the best.
Not enough pressure by the DL today which gave Leinart time and too much of it. The Ends need to be getting round more and in the QB's face and we didn't do that today.
Play calling - mixed bag there and I'm sure that Childress doesn't always know where the ball has been spotted - else why call a 4 yd pass play when we're 3rd and 12?? duh !

Crowd - those leaving when there was still 5 mins to play thinking it was all sewn up should be ashamed of themselves. If you can't spare the time to see the full 60 mins in person then stay at home and watch it on TV
::)

Officiating - not so much that the Refs are against us but a good example of the less than consistent level of refereeing that all teams are getting. Why use review and replay if you can't see whats in front of you.

I did also take a load of pics which look promising - I'll see about posting some of them when I'm home at the end of the week

One last thing ... good to see that Denny Green, clock management and good offensive opportunities still can't be placed in the same sentence
;D

kramer9guy
11-26-2006, 06:22 PM
"mnvikes61" wrote:

I don't know about anybody else, but this game was reminding me of that game we had and then lost in AZ. I was figuring Fitz or Boldin was going to come down with that ball in the endzone.

I was suprised to see us get away from the run in the 3rd/4th quarter. Johnson was dropping back it seemed most of the time. I knew Taylor needed some rest, isn't that why we have other running backs? I am not a huge Memo fan, but I will never fully understand why we do not use any other back unless it's 3rd down.

I was thinking the same thing. It was feeling like deja vu for a little while there. I was at that game in Arizona in '03 and this one looked like it was going to have the same results. Luckily it didn't.

tampaviking
11-26-2006, 06:24 PM
the cards have some very good WR's, they may have had alot of yards. but even when they got big yardage they looked like they we're spinning their wheels. the cards looked desperate from the beggining of the game. like they were hoping for nothing but big plays. how do you pressure a qb that has 5 recievers all game, i know the big guys should win some battles, ah hell i'm making excuses, special teams might need a new coach. and it was nice to see brad run and wiggle a bit.

kramer9guy
11-26-2006, 06:26 PM
"AngloVike" wrote:

Crowd - those leaving when there was still 5 mins to play thinking it was all sewn up should be ashamed of themselves. If you can't spare the time to see the full 60 mins in person then stay at home and watch it on TV

Exactly. WTF? What I would have given to be there and see the game. Jeez. Seeing the stands clear out like that on TV was embarrassing.

Big C
11-26-2006, 06:40 PM
Positives:
- Marcus Rbinson and Tavis Taylor got the job done.
- Chestor Taylor had another strong game. The fumble was questionable. I think there wasn't sufficient proof to overturn the call so the play on the field stood.
- Brad Johnson looked sharper today. Ran for 2 first downs!
- Play calling was good for the most part. There were a few conservative calls but I see increasing improvement over the last 2 games.
- Whittle and Rosey did an awesome job on the right side.
- Limited running game in 2nd half. I thought it was a good change of pace that lead to some good things.

Negatives:
- Special Teams needs a shot in the arm.
- USE MEWELDE MOORE!!! With the game in hand please use Memo and fason to run the ball. If Chestor goes down trying to run out the clock, our season is over.
- Pass defense gets the job done, but puts way too much pressure on the heart.
- Not going for the kill. I (personally) thought we should have passed on 3rd down of the last offensive series. We were 3rd and short and at the rate are passing game was going it was not out of the question.
- Need... pass... rush.

Etc:
- I saw Ryan Cook on one play. Don't know how many snaps he took, but that was the first time I have seen him on the field.
- I was offended to see Fason take over for Taylor (instead of Memo). I can't understand why we don't give this kid chances when we can.

COJOMAY
11-26-2006, 07:00 PM
A couple of observations...
FIRST: PASS DEFENSE: AZ went into this game with nothing but the pass. I think they only ran five times. They had two good receivrs but a rookie QB. Now if you know a team is gonna do nothing but pass and they still get over 405 yards, something is really wrong. And they averaged 7.7 yards per pass so it wasn't just short dump-offs.

SECOND: TAYLOR'S FUMBLE: We all agree this was a bad call and that he was down by contact before the ball came loose. But I only saw the last replay to look to see if the ball hadn't gone over the goal line before the fumble. From the angle I saw it it looked like he had. Anyone got a replay as to how short he was. Because if he was over the goal line I don't care when he fumbled.

THIRD: BJ: Nice to see some mobility on his part today. Not onlu running and gaining 15 yards and a couple of 1st downs, but also rolling out on some passes.

I still didn't see much to get much more excited aboout. We beat an inferior team that should never have scored as much as they did.

Big C
11-26-2006, 07:07 PM
I still didn't see much to get much more excited aboout. We beat an inferior team that should never have scored as much as they did.
I totally agree. What gets me excited is that we FINALLY beat an inferior team. It would have been a blowout if not for the Taylor "fumble". That plus the play calling and execution was a step higher on offense (I saw an improvement last week as well).

I saw improvement and that's more than I can ask for given the current state of things
;D.

kramer9guy
11-26-2006, 08:06 PM
"Big" wrote:

- I saw Ryan Cook on one play. Don't know how many snaps he took, but that was the first time I have seen him on the field.
- I was offended to see Fason take over for Taylor (instead of Memo). I can't understand why we don't give this kid chances when we can.

- I saw Cook out there on a few drives. Nice to see him get some playing time. And whether it was due to him, Rosenthal, Whittle or all of them combined, I think our O-line improved today. BJ had more time and it was reflected in our entire offensive performance.

- While I wouldn't say I was "offended" :) I too think Memo needs more playing time. He's a playmaker when healthy. Regarding Fason, I support him as a Viking player like the rest, but I really don't know what people see in this guy. He's seems mediocre at best. I'd rather see Artose Pinner out there (minus the special teams penalties) than Fason.

PurplePackerEater
11-26-2006, 08:20 PM
New record against the Vikes...

I believe I heard Leinart threw for 405 yards, which is a new record for a Rookie QB.

sleepagent
11-26-2006, 08:52 PM
GOOD NEWS:
We won!
BAD NEWS:
We got run over in the passing game!

GOOD NEWS:
Our Offense figured out the end zone!
BAD NEWS:
It was the Cardinals and we might have lost if there were a few more ticks left on the clock!

GOOD NEWS:
We broke the 30 point barrier!
BAD NEWS:
This is a game we should have won . . . easily . . . but did not!

Let's use some of this mojo on Da Bears next week!

WBLVikeBabe
11-26-2006, 08:58 PM
"NuJerseyDevil93" wrote:

WE BEAT THE CARDS!!I was getting nervous at the end but D.Smith intercepted it at the last second.

I could have used a paper bag to breath into I was so nervous.
When we got the interception at the very end though to win the game I seriously almost collapsed with relief.
Man what a game, I'm still reeling from it.
We finally got a win, SKOL VIKES!!

jargomcfargo
11-26-2006, 09:23 PM
Positive : Better o-line play leads to better quarterback play.

Better receiver play leads to better quarterback play, although

Williamson dropped another one.

Smoot played better in his new role.

Play calling continues to improve.
Negative: This team isn't a playoff team! They aren't there on special

teams, offense or defense. You can't say their run defense was

a positive when there was no run to defend.

I honestly believe this team is going to be very good! I just

don't see it this year.

ultravikingfan
11-26-2006, 09:28 PM
"PurplePackerEater" wrote:

New record against the Vikes...

I believe I heard Leinart threw for 405 yards, which is a new record for a Rookie QB.

If it was going to happen....well....I think you know who it would happen to.

PurplePeopleEaters
11-26-2006, 09:44 PM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/a1/full.getty-71465380jj001_minnesota_vik_5_34_40_pm.jpg

Stop the bashing! I threw 3 Td's this week.

VikingsTw
11-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Good to win, thats for sure.

I still don't know why smoot is even on the field, i guess we're thin after Winfield and Grifith. Alot of plays are going his way, he made a couple nice plays today but as much as they threw his way he definitly had oportunity. He's still getting burned, doesn't look well in his back pedal.
I love that this defense has people scared to try'n run. I know the pass works but we still arn't giving up that many points, and we're still getting lots of turnovers.

As for the offense, the changes on the oline definitly gave Brad all day to throw the ball. Still underthrowing his WR's but he played a solid game today. He looked laxed, running the ball throwing the deep ball, kinda came out of the blue.

Marcus was a beast, thats the strange thing about about Robinson, sometimes he looks unstopable and other times he looks like he runs his routes at 75% of what he's really got. He's got some good speed.

I hope Johnson continues to play all out for the rest of year. We'll need it if we still want to make the playoffs.

Ltrey33
11-26-2006, 10:57 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/a1/full.getty-71465380jj001_minnesota_vik_5_34_40_pm.jpg

Stop the bashing! I threw 3 Td's this week.

Stop! Stop Brooks! Brooks, I said stop. I threw 3 TDs this week. No need to start warming up.

Odin VAVikefan
11-27-2006, 12:43 AM
All I know is:
Denny Green knew who we are, and he let us go!!
And if you want to crown our asses, (BANG) crown us!

:D :D :D

CyVikeFan
11-27-2006, 01:09 AM
CT had a very nice running game today...the only downside being the fumble on the 1 yd line that was picked up and run 99 yards the other way.
Otherwise, solid performance.

B-John looked much more like the veteran we picked up, rather than the QB that plays like his age.
I'd like to see more of that for the rest of the season.

Troy......well....yeah.

Defense did its job....really really wishing our pass defense could still improve, but we'll get there.

Special Teams
looked pretty sloppy.
Somebody's gonna need to bring that to attention.

Even if it was against Denny's lowly Cards, this win should give us some pretty good motivation for Da Bears next week.
That's where we're really gonna need to focus.

singersp
11-27-2006, 06:41 AM
"Odin" wrote:

All I know is:
And if you want to crown our dimply buttocks, (BANG) crown us!

LOL! When there was 38 seconds left on the clock, there were people in the stands yelling for Denny to "Take a knee" with the game on the line.

I don't remember which year it was, but I remember when Denny was our HC & he did exactly just that & conceded the game.

singersp
11-27-2006, 06:54 AM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

The o-line got fixed. Sure it's the cards D but they got Brad tons more protection than hicks and johnson did. I would love to see cook get some more snaps too.

And wasn't it Rosenthal in there for the better part of the game on the right side?
;)

I don't recall the defenders getting thru from the right side of the line. The pressure they did apply came from the left side & the middle & mostly on blitzes.

I also have to give credit to Childress on most of the play calls. There seemed to be a mix of nice plays, some of which I seldom have seen this year. The 3rd & 21 run was a stupid call IMO, but there were some nice pass patterns that were run & intermixed with running the ball.

I still question Fason being in there instead of Memo during that one series.

It was great to see BJ thowing the ball to Kliensasser & Dugan in the endzone. Too bad the throw to Jimmy K. was thrown wide.

I thought sure as hell, that bogus fumble call on the 1 was going to come back & haunt us & it damn near did. It reminded me to much of the game we needed to win to make the playoffs, where we gave up the lead & lost.

digital420
11-27-2006, 06:57 AM
"Odin" wrote:

All I know is:

Denny knew who our D was...
hence the 5 attempts at running.. even the anouncers said.. "At least TRY to run it"

But he seemed to have no idea who our O was.

C.t had what 80 odd yards in the first half???

so denny.. u once knew who we were.. but i guess u don't know who we ARE!!!

DiGiTaL

singersp
11-27-2006, 07:13 AM
Cheers to:

The entire offense today. They played well enough to get the win.

Fred Smoot. Not so much because he had one of his better games today, but because he was actually wraping up the receivers & making nice tackles instead of throwing a shoulder into them & trying to knock them over.

Chester Taylor who racked up 136 yards rushing with a TD.

Jeers to:

The referees for the bad play calling that gol 'darnit near cost us the game.

The fans who left with 12 minutes on the clock with the score 31-13, thinking the game was "wrapped up".

The special teams unit who had trouble making the tackles on the kickoffs & punts. I was surprised however, to see Whitaker make a nice play/tackle & keep the Cardinals from getting what otherwise might have been a substantial gain.

The people in charge of the Jumbotron at the game. There were a lot of important replays that weren't shown on the Jumbotron at all.

singersp
11-27-2006, 07:28 AM
"AngloVike" wrote:

First up - great to meet Singer and his daughter - apparently my new jersey made me stand out and easy to find
;D

Positives - good to see our offense get some points on the board at long last. Kudos to Chester Taylor for another good day and also to MRob who reminded us that Viking WRs can catch the balls. Always seems that we live it to the last gasp on a drive before we shake off the conservative play calling and open things up a little - be nice if we saw that earlier on 1st or even second down.
Brad Johnson had a good day today and it looked as if the OL was pass protecting a lot better today as well which helped.

Negatives - Special teams need to wake up, you can't allow the opening KO to be run back for a TD, that plus punt coverage was not the best.
Not enough pressure by the DL today which gave Leinart time and too much of it. The Ends need to be getting round more and in the QB's face and we didn't do that today.
Play calling - mixed bag there and I'm sure that Childress doesn't always know where the ball has been spotted - else why call a 4 yd pass play when we're 3rd and 12?? duh !

Officiating - not so much that the Refs are against us but a good example of the less than consistent level of refereeing that all teams are getting. Why use review and replay if you can't see whats in front of you.

I did also take a load of pics which look promising - I'll see about posting some of them when I'm home at the end of the week

One last thing ... good to see that Denny Green, clock management and good offensive opportunities still can't be placed in the same sentence
;D

Thanx Anglo! It was great for us to meet you & your wife who traveled so far to see our boys play. You had a nice view of a lot of action from your seats.

(While I was standing in the aisle talking to Anglo, a man tapped me on the shoulder & said "excuse me" because he wanted to get thru. When I turned around it was none other then "Bench-warmer" Bob Lurtsema.)

You asked the question somewhere about the Cardinals catch on the goal line that was called a TD. From my angle at the 50YL it looked like his back might have been in but not the ball. I taped the game on my DVR & will watch the replay tonight.

For those of you watching it from home & had the replays, was he in or not on that play?

mblack76
11-27-2006, 08:47 AM
Did you guys notice Wiggins is seeing a lot more action lately?

shockzilla
11-27-2006, 10:17 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"AngloVike" wrote:

;D

;D

Thanx Anglo! It was great for us to meet you & your wife who traveled so far to see our boys play. You had a nice view of a lot of action from your seats.

(While I was standing in the aisle talking to Anglo, a man tapped me on the shoulder & said "excuse me" because he wanted to get thru. When I turned around it was none other then "Bench-warmer" Bob Lurtsema.)

You asked the question somewhere about the Cardinals catch on the goal line that was called a TD. From my angle at the 50YL it looked like his back might have been in but not the ball. I taped the game on my DVR & will watch the replay tonight.

For those of you watching it from home & had the replays, was he in or not on that play?

My thought is NO, he was NOT across the goal line. I saw several replays on TV and he was not across...

Del Rio
11-27-2006, 10:29 AM
There is plenty to get excited about.

We didn't have penalties in the redzone
The right side of the offensive line looked good

We played a great game offensively. We can build off this and when your team has lost most of its games by less then 5 points there is no reason to think if we can keep progressing without making mental mistakes then we can beat anyone.

Marrdro
11-27-2006, 10:48 AM
Loved the changes to the right side.
Anyone got a stat on how many times Chester ran to the right?
I think Brad ran to the right side also.
What about Brads legs
;D

JellyBean2144
11-27-2006, 11:14 AM
I am glad that we got the win, I was worried for a minute there. We looked good out there. The defense came through. The offense looked good, as well. But I am holding off until we play the Bears. If we can keep this mind set going into our battle against the Bears, I will be freaking geeked!!! But I am glad that we beat the Cards.

JDogg926
11-27-2006, 11:31 AM
Yes, we won, that's awesome, and the 49ers lost, and the Eagles lost, and the Falcons lost, so we've still got a little bit of life, I still think we need to win out, possibly can afford one more loss to get into the playoffs.
I've looked at the schedules a few times, and I really can't see an 8-8 team making the playoffs, there's a chance a 9-7 team may even get left out.

I'm glad we won, but we let them walk back into the game, something that shouldn't have happened, that's on Chester's shoulders more than anyone else, we could have iced the game 38-13 at that point.
I can't get overly excited, though, about a 5 point win over one of the worst teams in football.
However, a win's a win, and I'll take it.
As for some questionable calls (ie the last Ariz TD, the non-facemask and the Taylor fumble), we got a couple calls our way this game, too, so I'm not complaining.

Chicago stole one from us earlier, so we've got to go into Chicago and steal it back.
I noticed something watching them play New England yesterday, their D isn't that great, it's just been able to capitalize on the offense's mistakes, tipped balls, fumbles, etc.
So, basically as long as we play smart football, which may mean some check downs, and passes thrown away, Taylor hangs onto the ball,
and we get a little bit of pressue on Grossman (he's as bad as anyone under pressure), we should be able to walk out with a W.
That's much easier said than done, and it will take a lot for all of those pieces to come together.
I'll be watching and pulling for them.
It's not likely, but it's not an impossible task either.

cyviking
11-27-2006, 12:33 PM
We won which is nice for a change. Still only think we win 1-2 more, heck they almost came back on us.
When they lined up for the onside kick i told my wife that Arizona would get it and come back and score. She doubted me, and I hit the first prediction. I knew it would happen because they are the vikings and they like to break my heart. Thankfully I was wrong on the second part. The Cardnials almost came back and scored but didnt not! THANK GOD!

All in all we played ok. Turnovers are still a problem, id like to see a game where our O does not turn it over (next week hopefully).
Seconday has a lot of issues which need coverd because id love for our secondary to make Chicago fans boo Rex off the field.
Go Vikings!

Gift
11-27-2006, 01:05 PM
A win is a win.

With that said this win scares me almost as much as a loss would have.
The offense looked good but now they have to show consistancy & the D played terrible.

Offense:
BJ played well, glad to see it as I've been really critical of him lately.
It was good to see him getting things done & having some fun, I like the guy just not as our starting QB.
Also, give memo the ball once in a while.
The guy is a playmaker but needs the ball to actually make the plays.
You can see memo trying to make every play a highlight because who knows when he'll get another chance.
C. Taylor is not nearly good enough to justify memo not getting any love.
It's nice to see wiggins getting more involved in the offense, the guy is a clutch player & the best 3rd down target.
M. Robinson shows more & more with every game, we got a real solid player there & T. Taylor had a very good game aswell.
O-line was looking better, less stupid penalties is always good & T-will had another big miss, what else is new.

Defense, yikes :o.
People boast about our run D but I question how good it really is.
With our pass D so weak people don't even test the run anymore, I think that changes next week.
I honestly think next week we give up our first 100yrd rushing game.
Also, for the love of god find a way to get to these young QB's!!!

Special Teams:

Till we are eliminated from the playoffs I hold this team to playoff calibur standards & we have a ton of problems at the moment.
We got 6 days to sort this out before we head into chicago & play the most important game of the year.
If we don't beat the bears at their house, we don't go to the playoffs.

Freakout
11-27-2006, 03:18 PM
I guess the season has wore on me.
We definately showed some positive signs but it was the Cardinals.
Had this been any other half decent team I'm not sure we would have won.

We still gave up too many points.
Matt Leinart rarely got any pressure allowing him to have his way with our secondary.
Our special teams has been horrible on kickoffs as several people have already said.

I really hope I'm wrong but I think Chicago is going to wear us out.

whackthepack
11-27-2006, 03:42 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"Odin" wrote:

All I know is:

LOL! When there was 38 seconds left on the clock, there were people in the stands yelling for Denny to "Take a knee" with the game on the line.

I don't remember which year it was, but I remember when Denny was our HC & he did exactly just that & conceded the game.

1998 season NFC Championship game against the Falcons, we where 3rd down with 30 seconds left on the clock in a tie game with the highest scoring offense in the history of the NFL and Denny took a knee.

I would have fired the whole coaching staff when they walked off the field in I had been the owner!

Prophet
11-27-2006, 03:46 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Odin" wrote:

All I know is:

1998 season NFC Championship game against the Falcons, we where 3rd down with 30 seconds left on the clock in a tie game with the highest scoring offense in the history of the NFL and Denny took a knee.

I would have fired the whole coaching staff when they walked off the field in I had been the owner!

I remember yelling at the TV that day in that situation.
I was thinking the same exact thing.
The most prolific scoring offense in the history of the NFL and you're taking a knee going into the half?
That specific call is in my top 10 dumbest NFL coaching moves.
Ever.

vikes2456
11-27-2006, 04:11 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Odin" wrote:

All I know is:

I will NEVER forgive him for that

whackthepack
11-27-2006, 04:49 PM
Denny's decision to take a knee made the 10 worst coaching decisions list.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/worstdecisions.html

This week, Page 2 posts its list of the 10 worst coaching decisions ever made.

Check out our top 10 skipper slip-ups. Then, be sure to vote in the poll on the right to crown the biggest blunder of them all.

1. McNamara plays Buckner
In 1986, BoSox first baseman Bill Buckner could do little more than hobble around on his bum ankles. Everyone knew that. So why didn't Red Sox coach John McNamara replace Buckner with Dave Stapleton to shore up the defense as the Red Sox headed toward victory, and a World Series win, in Game 6 of the 1986 World Series? It was a move he had made all season long. But

McNamara was being sentimental. He wanted Buckner to be on the field for the final three outs of the Red Sox World Series championship. You know the rest.

2. Dressen's call heard 'round the bullpen
What was Dodgers manager Chuck Dressen thinking? Bobby Thomson's famous 1951 homer was, in a way, predictable -- Thomson had already tagged Branca for two taters that season. The Giants, as a team, had Ralph's number -- they'd beaten Branca six times in 1951. Dodger GM Branch Rickey knew of Branca's penchant for giving up the gopher. Yet, with all this info at his disposal, Dressen picked Branca to face Thomson. And that¹s all she wrote.

Marty Mornhinweg did not win a road game in two years as Lions coach.
3. Mornhinweg's boner
Ah, the one that inspired this list. Sudden-death OT, his team wins the flip, and Mornhinweg chooses to kick. Hey, the Lions get the wind at their back! But, hey! The Bears get the ball! The Lions never have a chance, as the Bears score on the first, and only, possession of OT to win the game. To quote TMQ, "Ye Gods!"

4. Miracle at the Meadowlands
1978. Giants lead the Eagles 17-12 with 20 seconds left. Eagles have no timeouts left. All NY QB Joe Pisarcik has to do is fall on the ball, and ... game over. But Giants offensive coordinator Bob Gibson calls a handoff to Larry Csonka. Csonka can't believe it when he hears the call in the huddle, and says, "Don't give me the ball." The exchange between Pisarcik and Csonka is botched. Herman Edwards snags the loose ball and runs 26 yards for the winning TD.

The next day, Gibson gets his walking papers. At the end of the season, Giants head coach John McVay is gone. And the Eagles, thanks to the Miracle, make the playoffs.

5. The Dictator's choice
Everyone remembers the USA Hockey Team's 1980 "Miracle on Ice." But what we sometimes forget is that the U.S. might not have defeated the Soviet Union in the semifinals were it not for one of the most boneheaded coaching moves in hockey history. With the score tied 2-2 at the end of the first period, Soviet coach Viktor Tikhonov benched Vladislav Tretiak, the best goalie in the world, for reasons that are still unfathomable. The U.S. won, of course, 4-3. Tretiak, who led the Soviets to gold medals in the 1972 and 1976 Olympics, says he still doesn¹t know why it happened. Warren Strelow, Team USA¹s goaltending coach in 1980, couldn't figure it out either. "I thought Tikhonov was nuts," he said. "Absolutely nuts."

6. Russell vs. Jordan
Maybe if Utah coach Jerry Sloan had Bill Russell ... but this was 1998, so it couldn't happen. However, Bryon Russell was available, and he was the only man assigned to cover Michael Jordan during the final seconds of Game 6. In Game 1 of their 1997 playoff matchup, Sloan had gone with Russell single-teaming Jordan, and the result was a game-winner by Jordan. This is close to a repeat, except with total finality: Jazz have a one-point lead, Bulls lead the series three games to two, Russell falls down, Jordan sinks the game-winner. "When the Jazz needed to run everyone, including their mascot, at Jordan on the final Bulls' possession, to make him give the ball up, or at least make it a tougher shot, Jordan got a wide-open look," wrote

Kevin Steele eventually made some progress at Baylor, but not enough to save his job.
Mitch Lawrence of the New York Daily News.

7. Steele's costly attitude
Baylor had UNLV beat -- they led 24-21 with about 20 seconds left in the Sept. 11, 1999 matchup between two lousy teams. The Bears had the ball on the Rebels eight-yard line, and if they had taken a knee, the game would have been over. Instead, Baylor head coach Kevin Steele called for a run. Darrell Bush almost made it to the goal line, but UNLV forced a fumble, and the Rebels' Kevin Thomas returned it 99 yards for a touchdown.

"I have an explanation, but it doesn't hold water," Steele said after the game. "We talked about creating an attitude and getting after people. We were simply trying to create an attitude."

8. Switzer's decision
It's a frigid December Sunday at Veterans Stadium. 1995. The Eagles and Cowboys are tied at 17; Dallas has the ball on its own 29 yard line with 2 minutes remaining. Fourth down and a foot. Head coach Barry Switzer, who later said that he didn't want to punt into the wind, takes a risk, going for a first down. Philly's defense stops Emmitt Smith cold, the Eagles take over, and Gary Anderson kicks a 42-yard field goal to win the game 20-17. Jimmy Johnson, who Switzer had replaced on the Cowboys sideline, happens to be calling the game for Fox, and offers, during the postgame show, a pithy analysis of the call: "One problem is that Barry doesn't have anyone on his staff to say, 'What are you, nuts?'"

9. Dennis Green sits on it

Dennis Green made one mistake we'll never forget.
The Vikings and Falcons are tied at 27 in the NFC Championship Game on Jan. 17, 1999. Vikings ball, 30 seconds on the clock, third-and-three on their own 30 yard line. Minnesota still has two timeouts remaining, Falcons have none. Vikings have the most explosive offensive in NFL history. But Green decides to play it safe, and runs out the clock. He's got Randall Cunningham at QB, Randy Moss at wideout, and a pretty good chance to get the NFL's best placekicker a shot at a game-winner. But instead, Green orders Cunningham to take a knee, hoping the Vikes will get the coin flip in OT. They do win the flip, but Atlanta scores first and wins, 30-27.

"Minnesota coach Dennis Green did a great job this year," wrote SI's Peter King later that week, "but if he doesn't wake up and stare at the ceiling in the next few days and say out loud: 'Boy, I screwed that one up,' then he's not being honest with himself."

10. Bird-brained
With the Pacers and Lakers tied near the end of regulation in Game 4 of the 2000 NBA Finals, Indiana coach Larry Bird calls on an unlikely -- and not-too-smart, in this situation -- go-to guy. Travis Best, 5-foot-11, gets the iso call as Reggie Miller and Rick Smits stand around, twiddling their shooting thumbs. It's Best vs. Shaq, and guess who doesn't win? Best misses his shot with 2.5 seconds left in regulation, and L.A. goes on to win in OT, giving the Lakers an insurmountable 3-1 series lead. As the New York Post's Peter Vecsey wrote of the Pacers' final regulation possession, "The whole planet knows Mark Jackson should've been out there orchestrating the most important high pick-and-roll in franchise history

cajunvike
11-27-2006, 05:46 PM
Boy, I sure did LOVE the #1 biggest screwup though!
LOL

vikes2456
11-27-2006, 06:52 PM
One thing I forgot to mention, how crappy were those Arizona announcers, one of them sounded like he was in the WWE. Their one bright spot is that one of the acknowledged that the Taylor call should not of been a fumble. I thought it was hilarious when they kept referring to the Cardinals as "The Diamondbacks"

singersp
11-27-2006, 08:11 PM
"Del" wrote:

We played a great game offensively. We can build off this and when your team has lost most of its games by less then 5 points there is no reason to think if we can keep progressing without making mental mistakes then we can beat anyone.

And that was Rosenthal, Cook & Whittle. Cook played for 4 of 11 of those series & Rosie played the rest. Perhaps sitting him awhile at backup did him some good, as did demoting Smoot. The one thing I noticed about him yesterday was that he was actually wrapping up his guy instead of just trying to throw a shoulder into him.

He's had some decent games as of late, but still not at a level equal to his pay.

Big C
11-27-2006, 08:21 PM
The one thing I noticed about him yesterday was that he was actually wrapping up his guy instead of just trying to throw a shoulder into him.

Yes I noticed that too. Good for him.

AngloVike
11-27-2006, 08:40 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

And that was Rosenthal, Cook & Whittle. Cook played for 4 of 11 of those series & Rosie played the rest. Perhaps sitting him awhile at backup did him some good, as did demoting Smoot. The one thing I noticed about him yesterday was that he was actually wrapping up his guy instead of just trying to throw a shoulder into him.

thought my eyes were playing tricks during the game seeing his name then Rosenthal's... well made a point on the previous players in those positions. As Del said no redzone penalties was a huge improvement

VKG4LFE
11-27-2006, 11:02 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Chester was a stud today!
The guy is not tired and has a lot left in his tank.
It is very relieving to see that we have a RB that claws and scrapes for the extra yard!
Also, Chester did a great job blocking!

BJ looked good today.
Yah, we saw of the dump-offs but you’ll have that with this offense.
He did have a lot of pressure on him today; but things got better in the 2nd half. You cannot say the guy is not tough!
And we got to see Brad’s wheels today.
I predict he will be a better running than Vick pretty soon!
Even though Brad had accuracy problems, at least we did attempt a number of deep passes.
Good job Brad!

Where was Troy?
Good, keep it that way!

The Cardinals get a huge thumbs-up for their penalty management…the managed to have some whoppers!
The refs even screwed them on the crackback…I thought that only happened to us!

I would’ve liked to see us get more pressure of opposing QB’s; cannot let that turd pick us apart.

Our pass Defense is still swiss cheese.

:-X
Jeez, we are really hurting there!

Our Special Teams…nothing special about them.
More like our Disability Teams the way they play.
Except for Gordon , he is alright in my book!

We are still in the hunt, lets not lose faith!
Hopefully the rest of the NFC sucks butt the next couple of weeks!

Dwight Smith, Fred Smoot (taking on the big hit), Ben Leber, Dugan, McMullen, Udeze, Farwell, M-Rob…they all did really well!

That fumble was BS!
The refs did decide to screw us!
Grrrrrr!

>:(

Why at the end of the game would they even think about going for 2 when they still needed a TD to win either way?
Dopes.

And the onside kick!!!!
Dang!!!
What is wrong with us!
Grad the ball!

I think the fans in the stands dressed like Childress were calling the plays; that I would believe.

This was looking like a sweet win, now it is just a win!

;D

I wanna say I was at the game and it was great! The final score did not show the entire game, as the final should've been a lot bigger margin.

It was eerily similar to that game back in 2002 after they got that onside kick!

Chester was a fricken stud, only one pretty long run of 28 yards, but he just pounded the ball all day long. Should've put us up 38-13, but IMO got screwed by the officials, as to me he was clearly down and he scored before he fumbled.

Question? Why the he!! did I buy a Williamson jersey?? I could catch better than that guy. At least this week only one pass went through his hands!!

Well it was good to see a win and I'll take it how I can get it! Let's keep it going in Chitown this weekend!

verovike
11-28-2006, 06:03 PM
I don't want to parrot all of the preceeding posts...only want to say that it feels great to get a win (even if it was only the Cards), and that I was wrong. BJ played well, and looked his best all year.
He was able to make a couple of plays with his feet, and actually made some absolutely pinpoint throws while moving. (didn't think he had it in him!) I must give him his due.
Lets hope that this positive game can create a little momentum going into this weeks game against a very tough Bears team.
I know it's cliche, but success breeds confidence, and our team certainly needed a boost...which brings me to Mr. T.Will.
When that long ball went through his hands, I saw no fire in him.
His eyes went straight to the ground, and he sulked to the sideline.
I think he has all but lost his confidence, and if something positive doesn't happen for him soon, he may turn out to be the total bust that a lot of fans have labeled him, at least for the Vikings. I would hate to see him hauling in long TD's for another team in 2 years, I hope he works his way through it, but he's running out of chances.
Don't give up Troy...You can do it!

Go Vikes!!

Braddock
11-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Well put vero. I was planning on sending TWill a get well soon card, anyone else wanna sign? Seriously he needs time to gain some confidence. Sit him a couple of games and bring him back for the last couple. That may do the trick. I don't know. Something must be done for him to WANT it more than he does now.

Purplemania
11-29-2006, 12:25 AM
Good game good win.

bleh...pointless game overall. I don't know if we still have a shot at the play offs. Brad Johnson played great today but I would've still rather start Tarvaris. Fred Smoot was constantly picked on--he did well but he needs to be more aggressive. Was Winfield hurt?

audioghost
11-29-2006, 12:55 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

;D

Wow, I'm glad Brad can have one good game out of the last five, and against the Cardinals nonetheless! Throw 3 TDs this week and that will be legit.

I'm just dreading the Bears game this weekend...and if we win I got money on the fact that it won't be because of B.J! Chester needs to have a strong day, and the defense needs to create points....plain and simple.

I sincerely hope that in 2007 we don't waste another year with this superstar defense under Brad Johnson! I'll take the week off next week if he shows up and performs. Fact of the matter is that he still has more INTs than TDs, which directly correlates w/ the Vikes 5-6 record. Brad's playing like a 5-6 QB

Storm
11-29-2006, 02:09 AM
"audioghost" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

;D

Wow, I'm glad Brad can have one good game out of the last five, and against the Cardinals nonetheless! Throw 3 TDs this week and that will be legit.

I'm just dreading the Bears game this weekend...and if we win I got money on the fact that it won't be because of B.J! Chester needs to have a strong day, and the defense needs to create points....plain and simple.

I sincerely hope that in 2007 we don't waste another year with this superstar defense under Brad Johnson! I'll take the week off next week if he shows up and performs. Fact of the matter is that he still has more INTs than TDs, which directly correlates w/ the Vikes 5-6 record. Brad's playing like a 5-6 QB

What the ghost said. Cant say I'm not happy for BJ having a good game against the Cards, but I'm not sold on the fact he can do it against a better defense. We shall see this sunday. I'll be the first in line for that delicious crow if he lights 'em up.
;D