PDA

View Full Version : Blaine stadium officially dead - Minneapolis new target location

singersp
11-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Anoka terminates talks with Vikings (http://www.kare11.com/sports/sports_article.aspx?storyid=140054)

After spending more than three years and more than $850,000 trying to help the Minnesota Vikings build a new stadium in Blaine, Anoka County officials are done.

cajunvike
11-20-2006, 08:14 PM
The MN Legislature needs to be kicked in their rears for dragging their butts on this!

BadlandsVikings
11-20-2006, 08:33 PM
How illegal is it to hire hitmen to take care of the people who want the Vikings to leave.

vikes_4_life_42
11-20-2006, 08:35 PM
"WVV" wrote:

How illegal is it to hire hitmen to take care of the people who want the Vikings to leave.

i dont remember any specific laws making that illegal. its worth a try

WBLVikeBabe
11-20-2006, 09:19 PM
Gal dangit and I just moved to Blaine grrrr!

BadlandsVikings
11-20-2006, 09:30 PM
I'm have this terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that this is the new stadium.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/4d/Newlamc.jpg/300px-Newlamc.jpg

It's making me puking sick.

vikes_4_life_42
11-20-2006, 09:35 PM
mr rodgers? that makes me feel SOO much better. i wouldnt mind that stadium, if it was in minnesota.

PurplePackerEater
11-20-2006, 10:06 PM
This is not Anoka County's fault.

Sounds like to me that the Vikings Organization has just shot themselves in the foot.

Can this team make me happy at all any more?

ultravikingfan
11-20-2006, 10:23 PM
"PurplePackerEater" wrote:

This is not Anoka County's fault.

Sounds like to me that the Vikings Organization has just shot themselves in the foot.

Can this team make me happy at all any more?

Yup, they said you are funny looking.

VikesfaninWis
11-20-2006, 10:24 PM
It is what it is.. They may not be doing any wrong off the field, but they certainly aren't doing anything right on the field.. I wonder how much of this is purely frustration? I tell you now, if it were up to me, they way they let their fans down, they would stay right where they are at..

x-ray jeff
11-21-2006, 12:02 AM
"singersp" wrote:

Anoka terminates talks with Vikings (http://www.kare11.com/sports/sports_article.aspx?storyid=140054)

After spending more than three years and more than $850,000 trying to help the Minnesota Vikings build a new stadium in Blaine, Anoka County officials are done.

Your tax dollars at work.$850,000 worth.Yikes.

AngloVike
11-21-2006, 04:13 AM
Can't say i'm surprised given that things seemed to have slowed down to a near standstill. Least it shows that Zygi is not letting the matter just drop and is looking at alternatives.

DeathtoDenny
11-21-2006, 04:54 AM
Good. Keep the team out of the burbs.

damien927
11-21-2006, 07:33 AM
"DeathtoDenny" wrote:

Good. Keep the team out of the burbs.

you do realize that if it is in the burbs, then they can have actual parking right?
Not 30 lots scattered over a half mile radius....
anything in the city will just have the same parking issues.... I would rather tailgate 100 yards from the stadium, wouldn't you?

Freya
11-21-2006, 07:45 AM
This just depresses me, big time. I really liked the idea of not having to go to downtown for a game. I just hope they don't start looking in the southern burbs. ugh.

Zeus
11-21-2006, 07:52 AM
"singersp" wrote:

And if you believe that for a second, you don't get politics.

=Z=
(The royal you, not you yourself, Singer!)

AngloVike
11-21-2006, 08:24 AM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

=Z=

So you reckon there's still a chance for it to still end up in Blaine then AW?

whackthepack
11-21-2006, 08:32 AM
"vikes_4_life_42" wrote:

mr rodgers? that makes me feel SOO much better. i wouldnt mind that stadium, if it was in minnesota.

I believe that the stadium Mr Rogers has pictured there is the Colosseum in L.A, so he is suggesting that the Viking's well be moving.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/4d/Newlamc.jpg/300px-Newlamc.jpg

Zeus
11-21-2006, 08:42 AM
"AngloVike" wrote:

"AWZeus" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

=Z=

So you reckon there's still a chance for it to still end up in Blaine then AW?

I reckon there's a chance the stadium could end up in any number of places.
A year ago, a downtown alternative was dead and Anoka County was rock-solid.
Now - it's 180 degrees opposite.

When they break ground, that's when I'll declare "That's It!"

=Z=

NodakPaul
11-21-2006, 08:44 AM
I actually think the stadium deal in Blaine was dead long before this.
Zygi was looking in to alternatives because he could see it coming.
Increased cost, a wetlands designation, probably more support in the legislature for a metro stadium...

I don't care where the stadium is built, as long as it is in Minnesota, and it is approved soon!

AngloVike
11-21-2006, 08:48 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

I actually think the stadium deal in Blaine was dead long before this.
Zygi was looking in to alternatives because he could see it coming.
Increased cost, a wetlands designation, probably more support in the legislature for a metro stadium...

I don't care where the stadium is built, as long as it is in Minnesota, and it is approved soon!

and as long as the MSFC don't end up taking the lions share of the money as they do now with the Dome then I won't complain. I don't want to see us going through the same thing 30 years down the road where the ownership put themselves in a position like they have with the Dome now.

BloodyHorns82
11-21-2006, 09:15 AM
I'd rather see the dome in downtown anyways.
There is something great about sitting in an open air stadium with a view of the downtown looming over you.
The Anoka concept was cool too though, but I'm perfectly fine with it going in the big city.
I don't mind having to use public transportation to get to the dome, its probably cheaper than parking at the Anoka facility anyways.
Lets just get something done.

OchoCinco
11-21-2006, 09:16 AM
"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

I'd rather see the dome in downtown anyways.
There is something great about sitting in an open air stadium with a view of the downtown looming over you.
The Anoka concept was cool too though, but I'm perfectly fine with it going in the big city.
I don't mind having to use public transportation to get to the dome, its probably cheaper than parking at the Anoka facility anyways.
Lets just get something done.

I second that emotion......

NodakPaul
11-21-2006, 09:29 AM
Actually I kind of like it downtown too.
The parking situation needs to be addressed, without a doubt, but I love the city skyline in the background as I make my way to the dome.

vikes_4_life_42
11-21-2006, 04:52 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"vikes_4_life_42" wrote:

I believe that the stadium Mr Rogers has pictured there is the Colosseum in L.A, so he is suggesting that the Viking's well be moving.

i know its not in mn, i was saying its not that bad of a stadium, but i would want it in minnesota. sorry, i should have said that better in my first post

ultravikingfan
11-21-2006, 07:32 PM
It could be worse and look like Lambeau:

http://kerplow.com/people/~luke/uploads/toilets.jpg

BadlandsVikings
11-21-2006, 07:37 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

where to go, where to go.....

ultravikingfan
11-21-2006, 08:36 PM
"WVV" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

The club level seats are near the top of the photo.

PurplePackerEater
11-21-2006, 09:00 PM
"WVV" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

It all makes sense now!!!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y274/jamieanderson/17vike0110.jpg

MensaTice
11-21-2006, 10:12 PM
I know I'm in the minortity but.........good.
Keep em in Minneapolis.
Give Wilf all the land near the dome, a little bit of cash, and tell him to have his way with the entire area.
The Twin Cities is where the team belongs.
Now is the time for Minneapolis and Hennepin County to step up.

Purple Herring
11-22-2006, 07:35 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

The MN Legislature needs to be kicked in their rears for dragging their butts on this!

Doesn't sound like it's anything to do with the Legislature this time, it's the Vikings organisation deciding they now want to stay in Downtown Minneapolis.

Considering the amount of moaning the Vikings have done over the years about the Legislature, you look at something like this and you wonder how much of this has actually been the Vikings making a lot of noise about relocation because the know the Metrodome is past its best, but not actually having any serious intention to do so. Won't be at all surprised if the Vikings are still in the Metrodome in six years time.

NodakPaul
11-22-2006, 08:02 AM
"Purple" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

Doesn't sound like it's anything to do with the Legislature this time, it's the Vikings organisation deciding they now want to stay in Downtown Minneapolis.

Considering the amount of moaning the Vikings have done over the years about the Legislature, you look at something like this and you wonder how much of this has actually been the Vikings making a lot of noise about relocation because the know the Metrodome is past its best, but not actually having any serious intention to do so. Won't be at all surprised if the Vikings are still in the Metrodome in six years time.

LOL!

This has everything to do with the legislature!
Why on earth would you think the Vikings wouldn't want to get out of the dome?
I doubt they really like losing money!
The Vikings fully embraced the Anoka Deal for the past two legislative sessions, and the legislature drug their feet.
Now the cost of building the stadium in Anoka has become prohibitive, so the Vikings are looking elsewhere.

whackthepack
11-22-2006, 08:07 AM
"Purple" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

If they are not in a new stadium in Minnesota in 6 years they well be in another city somewhere else.

Del Rio
11-22-2006, 12:25 PM
You guys are screwed. I think the Vikings are coming to Utah! SWEET!

Seriously though if I was Wilf I would either figure out a way to foot the bill and keep the state from leaching off of his earnings or move my team.

Purple Herring
11-23-2006, 07:43 AM
NodakPaul, you seem remarkably well informed - and you may be. All I am saying is when the media reports come predominantly from one side (the Vikings organisation) you are likely to only get one point of view, which will inevitably make reporting rather biased and influence opinion as a result.

What business leader would seriously allow their business to get to the point that they are losing money without DEFINATE plans in place as to what to do about it? I think it would be nice to hear a little more balanced reporting on this story so people can form an opinion based on balanced information.

Freya
11-23-2006, 07:57 AM
Downtown Mpls doesn't make great sense for a stadium, imo. I don't think that ultimately we will see it there. I bet there are lots of burbs wooing Wilf and this is just a matter of Wilf wooing the government.

singersp
11-23-2006, 08:02 AM
If the downtown stadium results in parking that is limited to parking ramps & a few tiny parking lots with no large lot for tailgaters to congregate. I do not want to see it there.

Tailgating is a big part of the football games & I hope the group in charge of looking for a new location keep that instilled in their minds.

singersp
11-23-2006, 08:35 AM
Posted on Wed, Nov. 22, 2006

Vikings want new stadium in Minneapolis (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/16070664.htm)

Team says city is its 'sole focus,' but will redevelopment plans be enough to win public aid?

BY ARON KAHN
Pioneer Press

ColoradoVike
11-23-2006, 11:14 AM
I'd prefer to see the vikings in a downtown stadium, so I'm pleased to see that the anoka talks seem to have fallen through. The worst football stadium I've been too is the Ralph wilson stadium in which the Bills play. It was a bad experience mostly due to the setting -- it's in the middle of placeless suburban Buffalo. The anoka site didn't excite me for this reason.

I hope the minneapolis site moves forward and is the final destination for the vikes. This would be a happy ending to an otherwise disappointing season.

I'd expect the tailgaters to get their lots and such. this seems to be a development concern for new stadium built in old downtowns, so I'm sure it will be addressed as it has been in places like Denver. (anyone know Seattle's situation?)

singersp
12-02-2006, 09:43 AM
4 firms in running to study Vikings stadium downtown (http://www.startribune.com/462/story/848707.html)

The finalists, who are hoping to draw up a vision of development, were chosen by the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission.

Paul Levy, Star Tribune
Last update: December 01, 2006 – 11:42 PM

The commission hopes for a retractable roof for the new stadium. But arguments concerning a retractable roof led to irreconcilable differences between the Vikings and Anoka County in their joint bid to build a $675 million stadium in Blaine.

The partnership between the team and county dissolved days after the Vikings agreed to the commission's study and an Anoka County official said the team had "violated a trust."

Anoka County had pledged $280 million toward a stadium in Blaine. The Vikings have yet to announce a partner willing to make a similar financial commitment for a downtown stadium. The city of Minneapolis does not have the money to fund the project, and Hennepin County already has committed to a baseball stadium in downtown Minneapolis for the Twins.

Vikaholic
12-02-2006, 10:11 AM
Screw a retractable roof. I went to Lambeau last year and had the best time of my life in the cold, damp Monday night open air in November watching the Vikes kick their butts. I hate those Sconni's, but at least they know how to enjoy a MANS game outdoors like it should be. Doesn't ANYONE remember our homefield advantage outside at the Met? That was a HUGE reason we were so dominant in the late 60's -early 70's! Football was NEVER meant to be played indoors!!!! SACK UP MINNESOTA !!!

nflvikings4455
12-02-2006, 10:56 AM
"Vikaholic" wrote:

Screw a retractable roof. I went to Lambeau last year and had the best time of my life in the cold, damp Monday night open air in November watching the Vikes kick their butts. I hate those Sconni's, but at least they know how to enjoy a MANS game outdoors like it should be. Doesn't ANYONE remember our homefield advantage outside at the Met? That was a HUGE reason we were so dominant in the late 60's -early 70's! Football was NEVER meant to be played indoors!!!! SACK UP MINNESOTA !!!

I agree! Football was meant to be played outdoors with all the cold and muddy games

COJOMAY
12-02-2006, 11:12 AM
"nflvikings4455" wrote:

"Vikaholic" wrote:

I agree! Football was meant to be played outdoors with all the cold and muddy games

We'll still see if you agree with that after Tomorrow's game!
;D

NodakPaul
12-02-2006, 11:48 AM
"Vikaholic" wrote:

I thought our amazing defense was the reason we were so dominant.
:) The old met was a POS.
Remember when they had to close an entire section above left field because the railings fell off? As much as we complain about the dome, it is still a helluva lot better than the Met was!

I like the idea of outdoor football when I am there with my buddies. But it is a little hard for me to bring my kids there when it is 0 degrees and windy in January.
And without a retractable roof, we will not get a super bowl, nor will the stadium be able to be used for anything else during the winter.

BadlandsVikings
12-02-2006, 12:49 PM
"nflvikings4455" wrote:

"Vikaholic" wrote:

Muddy games are getting few and far between because of better field maintenance, and more teams are switching to field turf.

vikes2456
12-02-2006, 12:53 PM
"Vikaholic" wrote:

I agree completely, football should be played outdoors, and on a grass field. Better yet, outdoors on a dirt field, so they'll be no way to stop the mud.

BerkleeVikesFan80
12-02-2006, 01:14 PM
The dome is the only thing about the vikings i don't like, did the vikings fight their battles in indoors 1000 years ago?
as for the children, there can be heated seats or inclosed heated areas for children that can be made and it would be much better than playing indoors.