PDA

View Full Version : Bench Williamson, Travis Taylor, Start McMullen, Johnson

jmmcgorman
11-12-2006, 10:12 PM
I was pissed about the game, but had brief moments of happiness when Bethel Johnson caught an awesome one handed deep ball, and has great kick returning capability.
McMullen seems to always do something when he is in, except for the fact that our coach all year long has been saying its okay to drop 456 passes, we will still start you at #1 and not put anyone else in, then as soon as he does, receivers make plays.
Should have made more today.
However, nice to see the receivers catch the ball today!

Toro
11-12-2006, 10:16 PM
Give Jason Carter a shot, at least as the third or fourth receiver.

We've been dreadful at that position.

Webby
11-12-2006, 10:21 PM
So lt me ask, why are folks so high on Carter?

Toro
11-12-2006, 10:21 PM
"Webby" wrote:

He played well in preseason.

Plus, I doubt he could be any worse.

Webby
11-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Well, I am okay in the idea he played well with scrubs in preseason.
But was he great elsewhere in college?

Kinda like Ryan Hoag, hell of a kid, decent player.
Could be decent I think...but we have these clowns instead.

Prophet
11-12-2006, 10:32 PM
"Webby" wrote:

He is so good that he was undrafted, put on the active roster by the Vikings from the practice squad then released and cleared waivers again (without being signed even on the practice squad of the other 31 teams) and resigned by the Vikings on the practice squad.
He has potential, our receivers suck, but he isn't as much of a hero as some would like to believe, based on the scouting of the other 31 teams.
He could tear it up, maybe worth a shot.

PurplePride80
11-12-2006, 10:38 PM
I'm sorry, but you can't bench someone who was the 7th overall pick in the NFL Draft.

When a player is taken that high in draft, they're suppose to play right out of the gate.

I'm just as frustrated with his drops, but he has to be on the field.

Toro
11-12-2006, 10:39 PM
"Acumen" wrote:

"Webby" wrote:

He is so good that he was undrafted, put on the active roster by the Vikings from the practice squad then released and cleared waivers again (without being signed even on the practice squad of the other 31 teams) and resigned by the Vikings on the practice squad.
He has potential, our receivers suck, but he isn't as much of a hero as some would like to believe, based on the scouting of the other 31 teams.

Maybe he isn't any good, I don't know.
Maybe he's bad in practice.
But we've taken guys off the waver wire mid-season and cut others, and our corps has been underwhelming to say the least.
Put him in as the number 4 and get him on the field occassionally.

Where he was drafted (or not) doesn't matter.
Randle wasn't drafted after all, and Tom Brady was almost an afterthought in the sixth round.
And Williamson certainly doesn't look like the number 7 pick of the CFL draft, let alone the NFL.

Purplemania
11-13-2006, 02:45 AM
Basically McMullen and Johnson saw plenty of snaps today *shrug* they were productive but not spectacular.....(well Johnason a little)

AngloVike
11-13-2006, 03:51 AM
"PurplePride80" wrote:

I'm sorry, but you can't bench someone who was the 7th overall pick in the NFL Draft.

When a player is taken that high in draft, they're suppose to play right out of the gate.

Sorry have to disagree on that. If Childress wants to continue playing Wiliamson because he seriously believes that he will come good then I'm fine with that. However to say that you cannot bench someone because of where they were drafted is no vaild reason at all. if the coaching staff think that he sucks, is not trying hard enough or is plain not good enough then they should bench him.

singersp
11-13-2006, 04:44 AM
"Webby" wrote:

They are high on him because he had a catch for a TD in a pre-season game against second & third string players & the media licked his butt.

audioghost
11-13-2006, 06:27 AM
"Acumen" wrote:

"Webby" wrote:

Pat Williams went undrafted....somtimes you just gotta give someone a chance for them to step up....just look at Damon Huard this season...

cogitans
11-13-2006, 06:37 AM
"audioghost" wrote:

"Acumen" wrote:

"Webby" wrote:

Pat Williams went undrafted....somtimes you just gotta give someone a chance for them to step up....just look at Damon Huard this season...

Isn't Huard something like a 10 year veteran. That's quite diferent from a rookie imo

Zeus
11-13-2006, 08:36 AM
"Purplemania" wrote:

Basically McMullen and Johnson saw plenty of snaps today *shrug* they were productive but not spectacular.....(well Johnason a little)

Billy Mac scored 2 TDs yesterday!
He was the only weapon the Vikings had!

=Z=

happy camper
11-13-2006, 12:36 PM
"PurplePride80" wrote:

I could not disagree more.

You are not entitled to get playing time just because of where you are picked. Especially if it was a different regime that picked you. You are entitled to play when, and only when your production on the field shows you are entitled.

cajunvike
11-13-2006, 12:44 PM
"audioghost" wrote:

"Acumen" wrote:

"Webby" wrote:

Right...who cares if they were drafted or not...heck, I saw a guy yesterday for the Saints...no, not Colston...Terrance Copper, who lit it up yesterday in Joe Horn's absence.
Undrafted...so, basically, the Saints had one guy (Colston) who went four spots from being undrafted and another guy, Copper (who was undrafted and cut by Dallas) make our first-rounders look like dogmeat!
START those that produce...and BENCH those who don't!!!

651Vikes
11-13-2006, 01:15 PM
"Webby" wrote:

Theres a guy I thought could have contributed in some point of time for the Vikes. Would of loved to see what he can do in a real game. I kinda thought he could of atleast made it back to our practise squad for the 3rd consecutive year. Guess he can't fit in a west coast offense. He really reminded me of a taller Chris Walsh. I was sad to see him go.

Zeus
11-13-2006, 01:18 PM
"651Vikes" wrote:

"Webby" wrote:

Theres a guy I thought could have contributed in some point of time for the Vikes. Would of loved to see what he can do in a real game. I kinda thought he could of atleast made it back to our practise squad for the 3rd consecutive year. Guess he can't fit in a west coast offense. He really reminded me of a taller Chris Walsh. I was sad to see him go.

It would seem to me that the number one skill for a WR is catching the ball.
Other skills are secondary to that.
Being fast is great - if you can catch the ball.
Being able to get separating is great - if you can catch the ball.

Hoag could catch.
Aaron Hosack could catch.
Bye-bye!

Troy Williamson can't catch - but dayum - he's fast!
Hello roster spot!

=Z=

ultravikingfan
11-13-2006, 04:46 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"651Vikes" wrote:

"Webby" wrote:

It would seem to me that the number one skill for a WR is catching the ball.
Other skills are secondary to that.
Being fast is great - if you can catch the ball.
Being able to get separating is great - if you can catch the ball.

Hoag could catch.
Aaron Hosack could catch.
Bye-bye!

Troy Williamson can't catch - but dayum - he's fast!
Hello roster spot!

=Z=

LOL!
That's awesome!

Kinda like buying a new car because it looks sweet as hell, but is a mechanical nightmare.

tastywaves
11-13-2006, 05:20 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"Purplemania" wrote:

Billy Mac scored 2 TDs yesterday!
He was the only weapon the Vikings had!

=Z=

McMullen is a meatball, yes he scored 2 TD's yesterday.
One on blown coverage where he waited for BJ's underthrown ball that he watched finally get into his hands as he was thinking man I'm going to drop this thing, then voila he catches it and rolls into the endzone.
The other one was a good heads up play on the fumble recovery, but not exactly a WR play.

Bethel on the other hand did look much better and had a good game.

The Vikings issues on offense are way beyond the mediocre receivers on the team.
If we had Randy and/or TO on this team they would spend their time chewing BJ's ass for not being able to get the ball to them.

BJ has no time in the pocket, he's a sitting duck when protection breaks down, or even waivers a couple feet in any direction.
He's so using to getting sacked right now he kind of just starts falling to the ground when he gets the ball.
His passes are on the mark about 50% of the time and when they are the receivers are so damned excited to get one they don't know what to do.

Start any 3 receivers you want, they are all about the same on the Vikings roster, but if you don't fix the rest of the offensive problems it won't matter.

V-Unit
11-13-2006, 05:26 PM
While I greatly appreciate the efforts put in by Bethel and Billy, I'm not willing to give them the start after one good half of play. the answer really is not that easy. I would suggest passing the ball more to the TEs as a start.

vike_mike
11-13-2006, 06:17 PM
Are we still at the point that we don't need any wide receivers yet?
Looks like we do.
We will get one in the draft.