PDA

View Full Version : Stop blaming it on our receivers

antoniopierce58
11-12-2006, 06:02 PM
It is not their fault for our offensive struggles and why cant people seem to see that?

Sure they arent the bengals, colts, cardinals, or rams receivers but they are soild enough to get it done.

when we get a real qb, the results will change and you will see our points go up drastically from about 10 points a game to atleast 21.

ultravikingfan
11-12-2006, 06:04 PM
So, none of the dropped balls are the fault of the WR's?
Not even the one on 4th down last week that Troy dropped?
???

Purple Floyd
11-12-2006, 06:16 PM
It is hard foir the QB to get them the ball when they are not getting open like they should be. Part of the turnover problem is that BJ is having to throw into coverage that is too tight because the receivers are not exploiting the soft spots in the defense. Part of the job of the receiver is to trick the defender into thinking you are going one way and then change your direction. That is receiver 101 and I am just not seeing that happen with ours yet.

purplePEOPLEreader
11-12-2006, 06:28 PM
It all comes from confidence.
Look what happened when we went for it on an iffy 4th-and-1.
The team felt the spark.

We have recievers that have been first round draft picks.
But we also have play calling that won't allow any of them to get into a rhythm.

I'm all for stretcching the field with a couple deep passes, but brad just isn't helping us with the long ball since it has been winding up in the hands of the safties all too often.

The team is just too predictable.
We run in running situations, and we pass in passing situations.
We actually ran a draw play for positive yards today.

I'm already a Michigan State fan.
Saturday's are tough.
But now after the last few sunday's (and that very dissapointing monday night) it looks like a game between the Spartans and the Vikings could go either way.

Toro
11-12-2006, 10:41 PM
We are one at the bottom of the league for receivers.

Our best have been Taylor and Robinson.

cajunvike
11-12-2006, 10:44 PM
The WRs deserve a good part of the blame!

BadlandsVikings
11-12-2006, 10:46 PM
So who do you blame for the drops?
The imaginary dome elves?

WBLVikeBabe
11-12-2006, 10:47 PM
When is Marcus Robinson coming back?
???

Mr Anderson
11-12-2006, 10:57 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

???

psst... it was 3rd down. But it may as well have been 4th, with the next play we ran(deep ball to Bethel Johnson in double coverage).

But yeah, our receivers do deserve a lot of the blame, they don't get open, and they do not make plays after the catch, however, I have noticed many of the routes they run do not help them do these things at all.

I watch many of the other games around the league, and WRs make plays after the catch in open space, and I think to myself "Why can't we do that?", then I realize, Brad Childress has them run these routes where they are hit immediately, I know the space is there, we haven't been playing lockdown defenses at all, and our receivers certainly have the speed to make these plays, but they are never in position to.

Our receivers deserve the blame for their drops, but not for the lack of YAC(I love the rhyme) and trouble getting open, I put that 90% on Childress' playcalling and Brad Johnson being pressured so frequently. The right side of the offensive line has really struggled, a problem that needs to be solved, but won't be until the off season. Hopefully we pick up a guy like Max Starks from the Steelers or even Leonard Davis from the Cards and have them play RT, then move Marcus Johnson back to guard(the position we drafted him to play).

Draft a WR like Dwayne Jarrett, or wait even longer for one of the guys from Tennessee, maybe pick up a TE in the draft? Then maybe we'll throw Tjack into the action a little bit?

There's always next year for our offense, but even then we're relying on a coach who is willing to back away from his image of what he wants to work, and change to something that will work. Cause right now, the only thing that is working is Chester Taylor, and if we fall behind because of stupid turnovers in our own territory, even if he is working, we're gonna throw when we're behind.

Vote Anderson as GM in 07'.

ultravikingfan
11-12-2006, 11:17 PM
"Mr" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

???

psst... it was 3rd down. But it may as well have been 4th, with the next play we ran(deep ball to Bethel Johnson in double coverage).

But yeah, our receivers do deserve a lot of the blame, they don't get open, and they do not make plays after the catch, however, I have noticed many of the routes they run do not help them do these things at all.

I watch many of the other games around the league, and WRs make plays after the catch in open space, and I think to myself "Why can't we do that?", then I realize, Brad Childress has them run these routes where they are hit immediately, I know the space is there, we haven't been playing lockdown defenses at all, and our receivers certainly have the speed to make these plays, but they are never in position to.

Our receivers deserve the blame for their drops, but not for the lack of YAC(I love the rhyme) and trouble getting open, I put that 90% on Childress' playcalling and Brad Johnson being pressured so frequently. The right side of the offensive line has really struggled, a problem that needs to be solved, but won't be until the off season. Hopefully we pick up a guy like Max Starks from the Steelers or even Leonard Davis from the Cards and have them play RT, then move Marcus Johnson back to guard(the position we drafted him to play).

Draft a WR like Dwayne Jarrett, or wait even longer for one of the guys from Tennessee, maybe pick up a TE in the draft? Then maybe we'll throw Tjack into the action a little bit?

There's always next year for our offense, but even then we're relying on a coach who is willing to back away from his image of what he wants to work, and change to something that will work. Cause right now, the only thing that is working is Chester Taylor, and if we fall behind because of stupid turnovers in our own territory, even if he is working, we're gonna throw when we're behind.

Vote Anderson as GM in 07'.

My bad.
I do remember now to pass to Bethel.
Still, my original statement stands.

Ltrey33
11-12-2006, 11:58 PM
"WVV" wrote:

So who do you blame for the drops?
The imaginary dome elves?

Definately underpants gnomes.

You MUST blame the receivers for at least part of it. First of all, the drops. This has been pointed out, but Travis has dropped several and T-Will's have all been crushing. Then you move on to the fact that they aren't getting open down the field and Brad has been forced to check down all the time and things don't look favorable for them being blame free.

I know there are a lot of problems, the quarterback and the o-line being two of them, but some of the responsibility DOES fall on the receivers. There's no doubt about that.

purplepete
11-13-2006, 12:13 AM
Deer hunting today was more fun then Viking watching. I did catch about a half of the game though. As it turns out Williamson dropped another first down that was right in his hands. Crucial first down.... How can you not just blame him for being a big part of the suckage this year. Lets hope we will get production out of our #1 pick one year. Wouldn't Cutler look good right now?

Vikes
11-13-2006, 12:19 AM
Why is it that Green Bay always has explosive receivers. This is all KRob's fault. Damn you KRob damn you.

singersp
11-13-2006, 04:10 AM
"purplepete" wrote:

Deer hunting today was more fun then Viking watching. I did catch about a half of the game though. As it turns out Williamson dropped another first down that was right in his hands. Crucial first down.... How can you not just blame him for being a big part of the suckage this year. Lets hope we will get production out of our #1 pick one year. Wouldn't Cutler look good right now?

I'll have to watch the game again that I taped on TV. I may be mistaken, but I recall Troy only getting one pass thrown to him all game long. It appeared to be too high for him to catch along the sideline.

jordy
11-13-2006, 05:25 AM
i do agree that it isnt all the receivers fault, the o-line and especially the qb are to blame as well...the problem is that we are predictable, and why is that? because grandpa cant throw deep,,,did you see how long billy mcmullen had to wait for that ball, even come back to it on that td...that was just pathetic...if you are that open, and receivers have been that open in the past games and Bj cant get it to them and undertrhwos them all the time, you are going to call short plays, just like were doing now...so i think the problem isnt getting open or not, or catching or not...but bj arm strengtht and accuracy at deep paterns...

cogitans
11-13-2006, 06:34 AM
At least the highlight play of yesterdays game came from one of our recievers. That one handed grab on the sideline in the first half by Bethel Johnson was really something if you ask me.

As for Troy Williamson goes he were covered up tight by Al Harris all game long. So I'll give him credit.

Zeus
11-13-2006, 08:40 AM
"Vikes" wrote:

Why is it that Green Bay always has explosive receivers. This is all KRob's fault. gol 'darnit you KRob gol 'darnit you.

Because, for all that folks want to hate him, the Packers have a quarterback with a rifle arm who can put the ball into the tight spots quickly, allowing their receivers the chance to make a play since they caught the ball in stride.

=Z=

Prophet
11-13-2006, 08:49 AM
"cogitans" wrote:

At least the highlight play of yesterdays game came from one of our recievers. That one handed grab on the sideline in the first half by Bethel Johnson was really something if you ask me.

As for Troy Williamson goes he were covered up tight by Al Harris all game long. So I'll give him credit.

Bethel had a great game.
It's too bad that return was called back and I didn't like the miscommunication in the INT route.
It was refreshing to see a hint of life in the receiving corps and it was nice to see Bethel do what he is known for on the return team.

Zeus
11-13-2006, 08:52 AM
"Acumen" wrote:

"cogitans" wrote:

Bethel had a great game.
It's too bad that return was called back and I didn't like the miscommunication in the INT route.
It was refreshing to see a hint of life in the receiving corps and it was nice to see Bethel do what he is known for on the return team.

Bethel had a good quarter (the 2nd), disappeared in the 2nd half, had one good return (which didn't count) and was adequate on his other returns.

=Z=

Prophet
11-13-2006, 08:55 AM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"Acumen" wrote:

"cogitans" wrote:

Bethel had a great game.

Bethel had a good quarter (the 2nd), disappeared in the 2nd half, had one good return (which didn't count) and was adequate on his other returns.

=Z=

It's on a relative scale compared to the past games, the WRs have been virtually dead.

Zeus
11-13-2006, 08:59 AM
"Acumen" wrote:

It's on a relative scale compared to the past games, the WRs have been virtually dead.

There were dead yesterday, except for the two TD drives.
It was almost like Childress woke up, realized he could throw the ball to WRs, did that, felt good about it and then mis-placed his play card during the half-time pep talk.

=Z=