PDA

View Full Version : Grading Vikings' Brad Childress at midterm

singersp
11-12-2006, 05:27 AM
Grading Vikings' Brad Childress at midterm (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/15990887.htm)

Posted on Sat, Nov. 11, 2006

By Jim Souhan

McClatchy Newspapers

cajunvike
11-12-2006, 09:22 AM
I'll give him a C...4-4...BUT I don't think that his coaching killed us in any of the games...mistakes were moreso the problem...particularly the dropped passes...and the fumble in the Chicago game!

vikes09
11-12-2006, 12:56 PM
that has to be one of the worst reporters i've read in awhile! if you put any aspects of childress and his coaching job at a negative glance he could look like the worst coach in the NFL!

prepatory coaching: D

? if anything our first drive is impressive! thats his prepatory coaching that's paying off! after that everything is suspect but the prepatory coaching is an A!

The schedule is soft, the NFC is mediocre, and Childress is blessed with a roster of competent veterans, so this should be a playoff team.

our defense has the talent, and it shows. our offensive line has the talent, and chestor has benefited. with the lack of talent at QB and WR it shows,
and to make a team 1 dimensional gives the opposing team an unbeleivable advantage that even childress cant overcome.

4-4 to me is JUST fine with very legitamate playoff hopes. i gaurantee with tice we would be 2-6 at best with the rest of the season to watch full of anguish and a bunch of cringing as we shatter into a million of penatly-ridden incompetent pieces. childress is going to be a great HC, and to grade a HC in a 1st season with a completely new staff is just plain unfair.

VikesfaninWis
11-12-2006, 03:50 PM
I'll give him a C- at this point.. He is a rookie HC with a 4-4 record, but his play calling is going to ruin our season if he continues the way it is going..

williamsontothebench
11-12-2006, 03:57 PM
He has ruined our season!
He cant coach gets out coached in almost every game!
To lose to the damn Packers is terrible.
I cant stand this team now.
Hell Tice at least would have got in a players face or two..

It is time to right off the season.
4-5 record if were lucky we may win 1 more game.

Bad coaching, a horse shit qb and a team that cant win!

olson_10
11-12-2006, 04:16 PM
childress stinks..he loves himself, and he wont change his approach to any game..unless this teams can recreate moss and culpepper, the defense is going to have some members die from exaustion for the amount of time theyre expected to spend on the field because of this offense..this team hasnt fixed any of its problems offensively, and to me that shows that he is missing some of the most important qualities that a head coach needs..tomlin makes adjustments, and the team always has a great 2nd half defensively, but offensively, childress does nothing throughout the game or season to make this team any better

everytime something works for this team, childress dials up a completely new set of plays that go nowhere..i dont get it, at all

if he wants to be an offensive co-ordinator, he should go do it somewhere else, cuz hes doing a pathetic job as a head coach

BigMoInAZ
11-12-2006, 04:17 PM
"vikes09" wrote:

that has to be one of the worst reporters I've read in awhile! if you put any aspects of childress and his coaching job at a negative glance he could look like the worst coach in the NFL!

preparatory coaching: D

? if anything our first drive is impressive! thats his preparatory coaching that's paying off! after that everything is suspect but the preparatory coaching is an A!

The schedule is soft, the NFC is mediocre, and Childress is blessed with a roster of competent veterans, so this should be a playoff team.

our defense has the talent, and it shows. our offensive line has the talent, and chestor has benefited. with the lack of talent at QB and WR it shows,
and to make a team 1 dimensional gives the opposing team an unbelievable advantage that even childress cant overcome.

4-4 to me is JUST fine with very legitimate playoff hopes. i guarantee with tice we would be 2-6 at best with the rest of the season to watch full of anguish and a bunch of cringing as we shatter into a million of penalty-ridden incompetent pieces. childress is going to be a great HC, and to grade a HC in a 1st season with a completely new staff is just plain unfair.
Really?
After todays performance you're still willing to cut this loser a break?
People whined all about Mike Tice, yet that idiot had enough brains to lead his team to a sweep of the Packers last season!
Today's performance should prove to all that Brad Childress is OVER RATED as an NFL head coach that even an IMBECILE like Tice would be preferred!
At least by this fan!

BadlandsVikings
11-12-2006, 04:23 PM
F F F F F

to bad there is nothing lower.

CCthebest
11-12-2006, 04:29 PM
I would give him a F. Hasnt done anything right, and either is the worst play caller in the NFL or BJ is the worst QB. Or both. He was supposed to bring discipline to the team, but the team has none. Good coaching is supposed to help stop penalties and dropped passes. And his ego is second to none.

Ltrey33
11-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Get off of Childress's dick!

Look at the team he inherited! He gained an inept receiving corps, a quarterback that wanted money or wanted out (who is by the way not ready to play yet either and is sucking in Miami when he does play), an old quarterback and a bad defense! Look at us now...

We got rid of turnover machine money-grubbing Culpepper, we signed Chester Taylor who has worked out pretty damn well, we built one of the best run defenses in the league and are sitting at 4-5 in his first year.

Sure, some things haven't worked and not everyone likes the playcalling, but for a rookie head coach who inherited a team that went 9-7 last year (and was 2-5 before Brad stepped in) they're not doing THAT bad. They've sucked recently, but I attribute that to growing pains and bad quarterback play.

Don't get on Childress too badly....he's only 9 games into his career.

Besides, why did everyone want to blow Tomlin the other week for how well the defense was playing and not give Brad any of the credit?

Ltrey33
11-12-2006, 05:01 PM
And on top of all that, why do we keep second guessing Childress's decisions? MOST of them have worked out. Sure we are only 4-5 right now, but if you look at the other rookie coaches he's doing just as well if not better.

Let's take a look at his "controversial" decisions (meaning the shit we argued about over the off-season)...

Trade Culpepper: Push
C-Pep sucked early on for the 'Phins, and he wouldn't even be playing if he WERE in Minnesota. So really, we'd be in the same position that we are now with Brad as the starter. I admit, at this point it doesn't look like Brad is much of an upgrade, but there's no evidence to say that we'd be better if Daunte were on this team.

Sign Chester Taylor: +
Chester has had a great year, and has really been the only consistent player on this entire team. There were a lot of people that bashed this signing, saying we should have gone after Edgerrin James or someone in the draft, but the guy is 4th or 5th in the NFL in rushing. You can't dispute that.

Sign Steve Hutchinson: + (kinda)
Hutch has been pretty good in the running game this year, but the pass blocking has been REALLY bad at times. Although, it's hard to say we'd be better WITHOUT Hutch.

Draft Tarvaris Jackson: + (maybe)
A lot of people (including myself) bashed this pick at first, but from what we've seen in preseason Tarvaris has some potential. The jury is still out on this one, but from initial returns, things look good.

Sign Ben Leber: +
A lot of people ripped this pick, but he's been one of our most influential defensive players this year and seems to fit really well into this system.

Move Napo to MLB: +
Unfortunately, he's hurt right now, but he seems to fit really well at that position. He's had a very solid year so far.

I'm sure I'm missing some things, and of course this is all my opinion, but I think a lot of his decisions have turned out well, even the ones we've second guessed.

Don't rip Brad too hard, it's his first season and usually you get 3 years to show what you're made of. Mike Tice got 4, was never any better than average and some people were STILL clamoring for him to stay. So why is it that we're so convinced that Brad is a horrible coach and he should be canned? Give the man more than 10 weeks to show what he's made of.

williamsontothebench
11-12-2006, 05:06 PM
why did we not go awfter Schwab?
Why did Childress not make a move to improve the qb spot.
Childress knew damn well that he did not want any part of Daunte.
I think he has made to many mistakes.
A offensive cordinator is needed!
Brad needs to quit calling any plays.
He is terrible.

Ltrey33
11-12-2006, 05:37 PM
"williamsontothebench" wrote:

why did we not go awfter Schwab?
Why did Childress not make a move to improve the qb spot.
Childress knew gol 'darnit well that he did not want any part of Daunte.
I think he has made to many mistakes.
A offensive cordinator is needed!
Brad needs to quit calling any plays.
He is terrible.

He would have had to give something up for Schaub last year. This year, he can just sign him out of FA rather than give up a draft pick for him.

thanatoschristou
11-12-2006, 05:38 PM
Childress's play calling is hurting us more than anything else right now.
He needs to stop calling pussy, conservative.
He will not surprise anyone rushing every single first and second down.
Expecting the run you can stop it.
Then when you are 3rd and 10 one must pass the patented wussy checkdown instead of throwing deeper then 3 yuards when you need 6.

Ltrey33
11-12-2006, 05:52 PM
"thanatoschristou" wrote:

Childress's play calling is hurting us more than anything else right now.
He needs to stop calling "meow", conservative.
He will not surprise anyone rushing every single first and second down.
Expecting the run you can stop it.
Then when you are 3rd and 10 one must pass the patented wussy checkdown instead of throwing deeper then 3 yuards when you need 6.

Actually, Del posted the stats on here the other day, and we've actually run the ball abut 50% of the time on first down and passed the other 50.

Purple Floyd
11-12-2006, 06:01 PM
I would give him a D-.

He was regarded as getting the best off season job here in Minny. We had just went on a 7-2 streak that included sweeping the Packers and beating the Bears (without alot of their starters). We had plenty of good draft picks and more money than anybody to spend in free agency. We did not need to rebuild the whole team, but did need to have discipline and fill a few vital needs.

As far as I know he was given every tool he needed to win and got the players he wanted to run his team.

As a head coach he is acountable for everything that happens and right now he is putting a team on the field that is not beating teams they should beat. And if we played the teams again that we have beaten I am not confident we could beat them again. To me that is not a good sign.

cajunvike
11-12-2006, 06:15 PM
He just dropped from a C to a D in my opinion after this loss...he needs to find a way to win these games...namely get the offense jumpstarted.

runtheball
11-12-2006, 06:21 PM
I think Childress has made some mistakes but like Rumsfeld says " You go to war with the army that you have" Offensively our "army" is weak. You look back over the years the Vikes have always been known for Good QB's and receivers.
Rashad, Sammy White, Anthony Carter, Chris Carter, Moss ,. Now our receivers are poor handed rookies, retreads or injury prone. Couple this with the fact Johnson is immobile and arm is failing , what do you do ? You run the ball , play field position and try to keep it close for 1 big play to win the game. Which is exactly what Childress is doing. Maybe our record does not reflect it but we are a better team than last year, man for man compared to last year we are better but are still missing a couple vital pieces, Childress will get those pieces, ( top shelf reciever, QB, and help for right side of O -Line) and we are a team to be reckoned with.

vikes09
11-12-2006, 06:27 PM
"runtheball" wrote:

I think Childress has made some mistakes but like Rumsfeld says " You go to war with the army that you have" Offensively our "army" is weak. You look back over the years the Vikes have always been known for Good QB's and receivers.
Rashad, Sammy White, Anthony Carter, Chris Carter, Moss ,. Now our receivers are poor handed rookies, retreads or injury prone. Couple this with the fact Johnson is immobile and arm is failing , what do you do ? You run the ball , play field position and try to keep it close for 1 big play to win the game. Which is exactly what Childress is doing. Maybe our record does not reflect it but we are a better team than last year, man for man compared to last year we are better but are still missing a couple vital pieces, Childress will get those pieces, ( top shelf reciever, QB, and help for right side of O -Line) and we are a team to be reckoned with.

i agree with 100% of that post. the thing is (like you said) those peices are VITAL. our offense has a few weapons, but for the most part are lacking those vital peices.

DeathtoDenny
11-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Anyone heard from Ziggy Wilf, the man behind the decision to get Childress and no offensive playmakers, and cut Daunte but not other notorious sex boater Smoot?
I give childress a D- as well.

mnjamie
11-12-2006, 06:29 PM
"DeathtoDenny" wrote:

Anyone heard from Ziggy Wilf, the man behind the decision to get Childress and no offensive playmakers, and cut Daunte but not other notorious sex boater Smoot?

Go back and do a little homework.
CPep wanted out, at any cost and demanded it.
That's why he's gone.

Ltrey33
11-12-2006, 09:22 PM
"DeathtoDenny" wrote:

Well Daunte wanted out, as the post above mine points out. Either that, or he wanted money to be a hobbling turnover machine. I agree with Zygi on that one. Also remember that we DID have a playmaker, a guy who was a former #1 pick and had a 1,000 yard season under his belt and a pro bowl as a kick returner...that is until he decided to have a few drinks and go speeding down the highway.

I don't think you can blame Childress or Zygi. They upgraded (Chester, Leber, Hutch, Longwell, etc.) a team that went 7-2 down the stretch last year. To most, this was a playoff team. I don't think anyone could have foreseen K-Rob crapping out, Brad playing this poorly and our secondary getting dominated.

Mr Anderson
11-12-2006, 09:33 PM
I give Childress, every WR except McMullen, and the right side of the line super F minuses.

I give the defense except for the lack of depth at corner an A.

Offense gets a super F minus. I repeat, a super F minus.

Ltrey33
11-12-2006, 09:43 PM
"Mr" wrote:

I give Childress, every WR except McMullen, and the right side of the line super F minuses.

I don't understand this sentiment. How can you give the defense a pass for getting burnt for 350 yards and 2 TDs today vs. Old Man Favre and 370 yards and 4 TDs against Brady?

I know the run defense has been great, but you're never going to beat playoff teams if you give up that many yards to good passing teams.

williamsontothebench
11-12-2006, 09:50 PM
Who was BC yelling at on the sideline?
I did not see the game but The big money lineman got a speach.
What was that all about?
BC grade went up for me if he got in someones face.

Grade d+

Toro
11-12-2006, 10:14 PM
I give him a C-.

To me, it comes down to this.
He has pretty much the same guys on offence from last year, with a few noticeable exceptions where we have considerable upgraded, and the offence is far worse.
Its his offense.
He calls the plays.
The offense has been dreadful at times.

Its his responsibility.

CCthebest
11-12-2006, 10:22 PM
This offense is Childress's baby. He made it. He calls the plays. Its his QB at the helm. And its the worst offense ive ever seen. 3 and outs, no 3rd down conversions, no red zone at all, dropped passes. He cant run an effcient WCO. He doesnt even give good receivers like Wiggins a chance.

How can an ex QB coach have BJ and Brooks as the QBs? How can a man of discipline have his teams with so many terrible penalties. How can the Oline suck so bad? Its all about coaching. The blame for this years Vikings is all at Childress's feet. In fact the only good thing Childress's has done here was to get Tomlin and Chester. Thats it. Someone please point out any other good hes done, or show hows he is any better then Tice, who was a joke.

Mr Anderson
11-12-2006, 10:41 PM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

"Mr" wrote:

I don't understand this sentiment. How can you give the defense a pass for getting burnt for 350 yards and 2 TDs today vs. Old Man Favre and 370 yards and 4 TDs against Brady?

I know the run defense has been great, but you're never going to beat playoff teams if you give up that many yards to good passing teams.

I am sympathetic towards our defense because it is the only thing stopping us from being completely blown out in every game we play in.

Go back and watch, we only get burned on 3-4 WR sets, or when our starting DBs (Smoot and Smith) are not in, although Smith was probably in when Driver burned us.

We're gonna give up passing yards when every single QB has 40+ attempts against us, there is no way not to. Good QBs can find holes in the zone and pass for significant yardage.... too bad our offense cant do that.

PurplePeopleEaters
11-12-2006, 11:06 PM
B. Straight B.

He's a rookie head coach and face it, we're rebuilding. We beat some good teams early on and we've lost to some bad teams as of late. But still, the point remains that he is a rookie head coach and some error should be expected.

The defense being awesome isn't ALL on tomlin. Childress just may have added to that some..
The offense is abysmal but what more do you want with the group of guys we have. Some of that is on Childress with the playcalling but even if you completely switch schemes if the players aren't preforming you can't do crap.

Now what happened to the guy with the highest coach approval rating a few weeks ago?

just keep your head up and always remember what goes around comes around. Tarvaris, Chester, and a whole re-vamped receiving corps will be much better next year. We are a few missing pieces away from being an amazing team.

Ltrey33
11-12-2006, 11:08 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

B. Straight B.

He's a rookie head coach and face it, we're rebuilding. We beat some good teams early on and we've lost to some bad teams as of late. But still, the point remains that he is a rookie head coach and some error should be expected.

The defense being awesome isn't ALL on tomlin. Childress just may have added to that some..
The offense is abysmal but what more do you want with the group of guys we have. Some of that is on Childress with the playcalling but even if you completely switch schemes if the players aren't preforming you can't do crap.

Now what happened to the guy with the highest coach approval rating a few weeks ago?

just keep your head up and always remember what goes around comes around. Tarvaris, Chester, and a whole re-vamped receiving corps will be much better next year. We are a few missing pieces away from being an amazing team.

Thank you! There's an actual reasonable response. Thanks PPE.