PDA

View Full Version : Offensive game plan for tomorrow's Viking/Packer game

umaguma1979
11-11-2006, 04:02 PM
I think Childress comes out passing down the field against the poor Packers secondary.
I'd really like to see the Vikes go right at Troy on the first play.
I think the short passing game and power running game have enabled teams have been crowding the line of crimage the last several games and as a result our drives keep stalling.
No opponent is currently respecting the Vikings long passing game.
Opening up the offensive will open up the underneath routes and running game.
If the Vikings can get ahead early, the defensive can plan downhill and hopefully force Farve into a couple of interceptions.

vikes_4_life_42
11-11-2006, 04:47 PM
i wonder if they will try to throw short passes to t-will and then he can use his speed to get more yards after the catch. i think that would work. i would try a few long passes, but if they arent working there is no use in wasting time.

skum
11-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Run, Run, Pass, Run, Run, Run, Pass, Run, Pass, Run, Run, Run

With other words.. Run as much as you can to make it easier for Brad Johnson to pass the ball..

Aslong as we get good blocking from the offensive line, i think thats the key to the win and to this team..

For the D!
Take some shots at Favre.. Bring the 4 up front and atleast 1 linebacker on all blitzez!!
Pick him off..

Score touchdowns on both sides!!

V-Unit
11-11-2006, 05:14 PM
"umaguma1979" wrote:

I think Childress comes out passing down the field against the poor Packers secondary.
I'd really like to see the Vikes go right at Troy on the first play.
I think the short passing game and power running game have enabled teams have been crowding the line of crimage the last several games and as a result our drives keep stalling.
No opponent is currently respecting the Vikings long passing game.
Opening up the offensive will open up the underneath routes and running game.
If the Vikings can get ahead early, the defensive can plan downhill and hopefully force Farve into a couple of interceptions.

That is what we tried doing against the Bills and it didn't work at all. No one respects the Vikings long passing game because our offense is not capable of producing big plays in the air consistently. We cannot rely on a long passing game to open up underneath routes, the only results we would get from doing that would be constant 3-and-outs and a tired defense.

What we should do is stick to our strengths and execute. When the line and RBs are on top of our game, nobody can stop them. Brad cannot go deep but he is accurate, so stick with the short passes. Run on 3rd and 4 or less. The way this team wins is by controlling the clock, keeping the defense rested, and winning the turnover battle. Our strengths and weaknesses are obvious, so the key will be execution.

cogitans
11-11-2006, 05:19 PM
I think Chilldres were mixing it up pretty good in the 2nd half against the 49ers, we just didn't execute.

So if we continue like that tomorrow - just without the dropped balls, penalties and turnovers - I'll be pretty content with it.

Eyedea
11-11-2006, 06:37 PM
Offense: run right at KGB.
While he is a good speed pass rusher, he really struggles against the run.
Last year we did it a ton in the second half with MeMo and it worked well.
This year with Hutch and Taylor it should work great.
I expect us to run the ball but take a fair number of shots down field.
I don't trust the Packer's safteys so there could be some big plays out there.

Defense: The Williams should have a field day.
With the Packers starting two rookie gaurds, I expect them to have a huge game.
I think Tomlin will come some inside blitzes (that he has been doing most of the year) to get some early hits on Farve.
We cannot allow Farve to get in rythem early because it could turn into a Patriot-like game.
The loss of Smoot and Harris will hurt, but I still expect the Vikings to stop the run and force a few turnovers in allowing under 20 pts.

Ultrapurple
11-11-2006, 06:38 PM
I agree, pound it down their throats!!!

PacNWVike
11-11-2006, 06:42 PM
"vikes_4_life_42" wrote:

i wonder if they will try to throw short passes to t-will and then he can use his speed to get more yards after the catch. i think that would work. i would try a few long passes, but if they arent working there is no use in wasting time.

Until T-Will learns how to hang onto the ball, no defense is going to respect our long threat, thus the short passes.
As you've noticed, the D's have caught onto our short passing game and neutralized it...

PacNWVike
11-11-2006, 06:44 PM
"Eyedea" wrote:

Offense: run right at KGB.
While he is a good speed pass rusher, he really struggles against the run.
Last year we did it a ton in the second half with MeMo and it worked well.
This year with Hutch and Taylor it should work great.
I expect us to run the ball but take a fair number of shots down field.
I don't trust the Packer's safteys so there could be some big plays out there.

Defense: The Williams should have a field day.
With the Packers starting two rookie gaurds, I expect them to have a huge game.
I think Tomlin will come some inside blitzes (that he has been doing most of the year) to get some early hits on Farve.
We cannot allow Farve to get in rythem early because it could turn into a Patriot-like game.
The loss of Smoot and Harris will hurt, but I still expect the Vikings to stop the run and force a few turnovers in allowing under 20 pts.

It will be interesting to see what type of "special" blocking schemes the cheesediks do against our interior tandem on D...
Hopefully not those cheap shot chop blocks...

vikes_4_life_42
11-11-2006, 06:45 PM
"PacNWVike" wrote:

"vikes_4_life_42" wrote:

Until T-Will learns how to hang onto the ball, no defense is going to respect our long threat, thus the short passes.
As you've noticed, the D's have caught onto our short passing game and neutralized it...
yea but this is the PACKERS we are talking about here...(whispering) they arent as smart as most teams... lol

PacNWVike
11-11-2006, 06:47 PM
"vikes_4_life_42" wrote:

"PacNWVike" wrote:

"vikes_4_life_42" wrote:

yea but this is the PACKERS we are talking about here...(whispering) they arent as smart as most teams... lol

;D True...
but Fav'Ray the magician and his fellow sheep humping inbreds have found ways to spoil our victories more than once!
:-[

jaymz7
11-11-2006, 06:54 PM
You have to keep running the ball first. Take your shots down field when the situation allows, but most importantly they have to get the ball to Wiggins.

There is a reason he led the team the past two years in receptions. Also that is why he was the favorite target for BJ and Pep. HE CAN HOLD ON TO THE BALL! Not to mention he is very hard to bring down.

He was the safe out for both QB's over the last two years. As teams try to stop Wiggins then you will see the other oppertunities in the run game open up even more.

cajunvike
11-11-2006, 07:03 PM
SCORE TDs...it's that simple!

singersp
11-11-2006, 11:51 PM
"PacNWVike" wrote:

It will be interesting to see what type of "special" blocking schemes the cheesediks do against our interior tandem on D...
Hopefully not those cheap shot chop blocks...

Yes, they will be using the chop block. We use it also, but not to the extent that GB does.

There were a few articles I posted on it in a thread about zone blocking.

tke0933
11-12-2006, 02:01 AM
I think the defense will do fine.
Mix in some blitz packages and we will be able to create some turnovers.
You have to throw the ball long on occasion to keep them honest.
We might just catch some of them.
If we do catch them, then we will score some TDs and also open the short game for Brad and the running game.

VKG4LFE
11-12-2006, 08:43 AM
Score more points than they do.