PDA

View Full Version : Williamson works overtime to improve catching

singersp
11-11-2006, 08:05 AM
Williamson works overtime to improve catching (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/803441.html)

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
Last update: November 10, 2006 – 8:57 PM

NordicNed
11-11-2006, 08:25 AM
15 mins extra?
TW should have played catch with that machine for a couple of hours or so.... ;)

ultravikingfan
11-11-2006, 08:59 AM
There are not enough hours in the day for him to work OT on his catching!
:D

JellyBean2144
11-11-2006, 09:22 AM
I agree with VikingNed, 15 minutes??? When I read the article I was thinking 1-2 hours. When I got to the part where it said 15 minutes extra, I had to do a doube take.

I am sure he worked hard in practice, that is why he figured that he only needed that extra 15 minutes of work. Or maybe he is Moonlighting, and could only commit to 15 minutes.

Oh well. At least he is putting in that "extra" time.

Mr. Purple
11-11-2006, 09:27 AM
All i'm sayin is I hope I never have to change my PPO Name.

VikesfaninWis
11-11-2006, 09:31 AM
I say that if he drops passes against Green Bay, that they should set that JUGS machine up and aim it at his sack for 15 minutes.. Maybe that will motivate him.. ;D

TheAnimal93
11-11-2006, 10:42 AM
15 minutes???????? I could take that much time getting to the JUGS! But definitely spend more time with them. ;D Foreplay means nothing to TW.
:P ::)

kramer9guy
11-11-2006, 10:57 AM
What I can gather from this article and some comments made over on Viking Update is that this 15 minute catching drill was planned specifically as a media event (for them to see that Troy is working to correct his drops and to write about it). I guess we'll see if this and any other practice he's had will pay off come Sunday.

mblack76
11-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Isnt it interesting or should I say so hypocritical that all here 'missed' the third paragraph of the article? Here it is just in case you really missed it....

That's probably the main thing I've been doing this week," Williamson said."I've been working with the JUGS, working different angles on catches and stuff like that. ... I pretty much just feel anxious to get back out there and play. You can't do anything about what happened. You just have to be ready to move forward."

whackthepack
11-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Don't over due it Troy that extra 15 minutes could really wear you down!

Michael Jordan when he 1st came into the NBA spent an extra 2 hours a day after practice shooting, and he became the best in his sport!

Maybe increase that extra time Troy to lets say an extra hour a day and see if it can really make a difference!

singersp
11-11-2006, 11:49 AM
15 minutes may not sound like a lot to most people, but a JUGS machine is capable of throwing up to 600 passes in an hour & throw spirals or end-over-end passes up to 100 yard spirals.

That's up to 150 passes in those 15 minutes, plus the running that goes along with it. While I think he should have done it all week long, 15 minutes a day tacked on to his normal practice seems sufficient.

Let's at least give the guy a little credit for at least going the extra 15 minutes, instead of chastising him for it.

He is still a Vikings player & as Childress has stated, he needs to wotk thru it.

What other receivers that have dropped balls were out there working overtime?

davike
11-11-2006, 11:51 AM
i think that williamson is really trying. 15 minutes doesn't look like a lot to us, but 15 more minutes of such physically demanding football practice would probably in comparison to about an hour of most ppl's work. especially after he has already been practicing other stuff for a while. but hey 15 minutes is still a start. i hope he has a break out game on sunday against the packers weak secondary. that would get his confidence back up and maybe get his play up. i would like to see him practice more in the hour range just like the rest of you but we don't really know what the situation is.

davike
11-11-2006, 11:54 AM
"singersp" wrote:

15 minutes may not sound like a lot to most people, but a JUGS machine is capable of throwing up to 600 passes in an hour & throw spirals or end-over-end passes up to 100 yard spirals.

That's up to 150 passes in those 15 minutes, plus the running that goes along with it. While I think he should have done it all week long, 15 minutes a day tacked on to his normal practice seems sufficient.

Let's at least give the guy a little credit for at least going the extra 15 minutes, instead of chastising him for it.

He is still a Vikings player & as Childress has stated, he needs to wotk thru it.

exactly singer, thanks for that stats on the JUGS machine i didn't know it was capable of that much. its good to see that he knows he has a problem and is trying to adjust and remedy it.

whackthepack
11-11-2006, 11:57 AM
"singersp" wrote:

Just because it can doesn't mean that it did!

I would be willing to bet that he didn't have more than 30 balls thrown his way!
And 15 minutes is not a lot and he should be doing more if he is serious about being a great wide receiver in this league when you start as badly as he has in his NFL career.

rideout85
11-11-2006, 11:58 AM
singer i right bout the machines plus troy has been working all week on catching at practice but everyone seem to miss that part they only seen the part with 15 minutes the jumped on him atleast he knows he needs to get better and he is trying to fix it give him some credit cuz when he starts catching the ball and is used for a deep threat yall will be thanking him.

singersp
11-11-2006, 12:11 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Just because it can doesn't mean that it did!

I would be willing to bet that he didn't have more than 30 balls thrown his way!
And 15 minutes is not a lot and he should be doing more if he is serious about being a great wide receiver in this league when you start as badly as he has in his NFL career.

That is nothing more than a guess & pure speculation.

We do not know if they were rapid fire passes, running routes or both. All of our WR have been dropping passes, but Williamson seems to be the only one putting in the extra effort whether it be 30 or 100 passes.

Del Rio
11-11-2006, 12:12 PM
No one will be thanking him for doing his job.

In the end it is up to him to silence the critics. He has half a season to show that he has improved. Who cares if it can throw so many balls, and who cares if it only took him 15 minutes. If the ball hits his hands and he catches it he has done his job, if the ball hits his hands and he drops it he has not.

Just watch him during the game and then there will be no need to jump to conclusions.

thanatoschristou
11-11-2006, 12:51 PM
What if he sucks because he is trying to hard and putting too much pressure on himself, then the extra practice might hurt; not help.

tb04512
11-11-2006, 12:53 PM
i have a whole new respect for troy.. 15 minutes is better than 0... and like other people said who else is doing this??? at least he is trying to earn his money not jus go out there drop passs and say oh well my check is coming, i think this team put a loit of pressure on him all at once and he's just getting used to it i mean he's got a new coach and a new system itd be pretty hard being in the league 2 years and have 2 different coaches and 2 different systems,give him time if he works 15 min extra a day for a while he'll be what we all expected him to be

ultravikingfan
11-11-2006, 12:55 PM
He is paid to catch balls.

He is expected to catch balls.

If he cannot, buh bye.

happy camper
11-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Paul Allen was in the locker room after the 49ers game. He said Troy was visibly shakin by his performance.

I feel sorry for the guy. But I it's good to hear how shakin up he is about it. It shows he takes pride in his performance not only for himself, but for his team.

I'm not a Williamson fan right now. Actually, when I heard PA say "Troy Williamson comes out onto the field for a third down play", I thought to myself what a bad decision to have Troy out there at that time. But he can go a long way to redeem himself starting this weekend.

vikes2456
11-11-2006, 01:51 PM
I actually felt sort of bad for him after Sunday, and the weird thing is, now I am rooting for him to turn it around and become our comeback player of the year.

AngloVike
11-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Ok so he's doing 15 mins which many here consider to not be enough practice but consider this. I'd prefer to see someone doing 15 mins intensive practice and getting it right for that time, rather than someone spending an hour practicing and only getting it right for 25% of the time.
It's not a question of how long you spend but more a question of how well you use the time that you spend.
For those going to the game tomorrow - give him your full backing as any Vikings player deserves and save any criticism for after the game. By the same token be prepared to give due credit if he has a good game.

Braddock
11-11-2006, 04:11 PM
"AngloVike" wrote:

Ok so he's doing 15 mins which many here consider to not be enough practice but consider this. I'd prefer to see someone doing 15 mins intensive practice and getting it right for that time, rather than someone spending an hour practicing and only getting it right for 25% of the time.
It's not a question of how long you spend but more a question of how well you use the time that you spend.
For those going to the game tomorrow - give him your full backing as any Vikings player deserves and save any criticism for after the game. By the same token be prepared to give due credit if he has a good game.

Here, here AngeloVike

Mr Anderson
11-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Well him doing extra catching is to be expected, the only thing I find alarming about that article is that Erasmus James still hasn't had his surgery....

wtf?

Ltrey33
11-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Well la dee frickin dah! Let's hope it helps!

V-Unit
11-11-2006, 06:07 PM
I've always been a Williamson backer, but he certainly made it difficult. Last week was unforgivable.

The article clearly says that the extra time in front of the JUGS machine was the last of many things he has done to try to improve his catching over the week. I also think it is obvious that most fans hate Williamson so much now that only perfection will earn their forgiveness. Williamson could have 5 catches, one drop, and TDs, and everyone will still be talking about the drop.

All I want to see from Williamson is improvement. As long as he is getting better I'll be happy.

cogitans
11-11-2006, 06:12 PM
I rarely make predictions, but today I will. Williamson will bounce back big time against Green Bay.

Chilldres wants to keep feeding it to him, and Brad Johnson knows he need it to. And with Troy being the center of atention in the media, he'll be extra motivated.

I predict big catches, many yds, and a TD by Troy!

skum
11-11-2006, 06:13 PM
Thing is.. He hasnt catched a touchdown in about a year now.. And its not like he hasnt had chances to do it.. But i like him matching up against either Harris or Woodson, specially if he can get one on one against Woodson i think he has a chance to do something big..

Go Troy!! Go Vikings.. Defeat them Packers!!

PacNWVike
11-11-2006, 07:56 PM
I wish him well too.
With that said, unfortunately our sport has evolved into a well oiled business machine.
He is paid a huge amount of money to perform.
Coach him, help him, but at the end of the season if he hasn't improved...
?

cajunvike
11-11-2006, 08:01 PM
I say make him run WIND SPRINTS until he drops for every ball he misses the rest of the season!

PacNWVike
11-11-2006, 08:03 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

I say make him run WIND SPRINTS until he drops for every ball he misses the rest of the season!

ROTFLMAO!!
You attorneys' are brutal!
8)

mblack76
11-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Many say the problem with our offense is dropped passes. However a look at this link (http://realfootball365.stats.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?year=2006&range=NFL&type=Receiving&rank=232) tells me the problem with our ailing offense might be elsewhere or at the very least multi facetted. The Vikings are 10th (14 drops) in the NFL while Philly leads with 27 with the Panters, Seahawks, Patroits, Packers all ahead of us and ALL these teams do score way more than we do.
So umm I am sorry thats not a very good reason in my book.
Ok yes Troy Wiliamson leads the league in dropped passes for individuals (http://realfootball365.stats.com/fb/leaders.asp?year=2006&range=NFL&type=Receiving&rank=232) with 9 drops but he is closely followed by some very established names like T.O. with 8, Reggie Brown (7), Randy Moss (7) and Steve Smith (7). Forget the talk about critical drops. A drop is a drop. So for the nth time can we cut him some slack? Seriously!
Conclusion:
Our offense is really sick more than we know (thats what I think) and Troy is not the reason (to those who say he is)

MaddenVodkaAddict
11-11-2006, 08:57 PM
Note also that the other receivers mentioned also get the ball thrown to themselves more often.

davike
11-11-2006, 09:07 PM
before you start comparing him to all those big name recievers, what is more important is the percentage of passes dropped. for instance williamson might have dropped 50 percent of his passes. but steve smith gets thrown to about 10 times more then williamson so his percentage would be fairly low. i don't know what the percentage is but it would be good to check that out. i am a fan of williamson and i think he should do great once he matures, but saying he is not a problem to our offense is not true. our whole WR squad is not playing well but williamson has accounted for quite a few key drops. i realize he isn't the only problem in our offense, but he is one of them.

NodakPaul
11-11-2006, 09:37 PM
I would say that Troy is ONE reason, not THE reason our offense is in the shape that is in.
But hopefully that will change come tomorrow as we destroy the pack!

farvathevikinglover
11-11-2006, 10:19 PM
here's my opinion of the offense based on what I've seen (which is not a whole lot, basically against the 'Skins, Seahawks, Patriots, and statistics). A lot of the time it seems like nobody but Chester (and possibly the O-line, but not seeing that many games I can't be sure) can do squat. In the Patriots game, which I DID see, I saw Troy drop a seamingly really well thrown deep pass, hardly even sticking out his arms, and it looked to me like an instant replay of a drop of his in the 'Skins game. I also so the Brad's first two INTs, the first he horribly overthrew his reciever and made it lokk like he MEANT to throw it to the defender IN THE RED ZONE (that's at least three, maybe 7 points left on the field). Then I saw a completely gawd-awfully underthrow that was at least 15 yards behind the receiver. I'm not sure what's going on with the O, mainly the passing game, but it sucks. whether it's Brad or the WRs or whoever, someone needs to get it together. (I also noticed Wiggy isn't getting nearly as many passes as in the past couple years. Is that coincidence, coach Brad's playcalling, or QB Brad just not getting it there?)

cajunvike
11-11-2006, 10:24 PM
I think that TWill would drop his own two balls if they weren't attached!

LOL

so-cal vike
11-11-2006, 11:57 PM
"mblack76" wrote:

Many say the problem with our offense is dropped passes. However a look at this link (http://realfootball365.stats.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?year=2006&range=NFL&type=Receiving&rank=232) tells me the problem with our ailing offense might be elsewhere or at the very least multi facetted. The Vikings are 10th (14 drops) in the NFL while Philly leads with 27 with the Panters, Seahawks, Patroits, Packers all ahead of us and ALL these teams do score way more than we do.
So umm I am sorry thats not a very good reason in my book.
Ok yes Troy Wiliamson leads the league in dropped passes for individuals (http://realfootball365.stats.com/fb/leaders.asp?year=2006&range=NFL&type=Receiving&rank=232) with 9 drops but he is closely followed by some very established names like T.O. with 8, Reggie Brown (7), Randy Moss (7) and Steve Smith (7). Forget the talk about critical drops. A drop is a drop. So for the nth time can we cut him some slack? Seriously!
Conclusion:
Our offense is really sick more than we know (thats what I think) and Troy is not the reason (to those who say he is)

Those are all excellent points and I'm sure many here can agree with you in saying that the offense as a whole needs to improve.
However, for our recievers to establish themselves as part of a potent offense, they need to leap ahead of those big names and start making the big plays when needed.

I think Sunday against the Hack would be a good time to start.
:)

SKOL!

midgensa
11-12-2006, 02:27 AM
Any work is good work ... I don't think working with the machinne is really what he needs to do anyways. The problem is probably in his head. Here is to the Pack being the perfect pill!

purplehorn
11-12-2006, 02:42 AM
"midgensa" wrote:

Any work is good work ... I don't think working with the machinne is really what he needs to do anyways. The problem is probably in his head. Here is to the Pack being the perfect pill!

Right on. Pretend you can't catch you're breath than rack up 200 yards against the
Fudgies
;D Part of the 12-4 season all along.