PDA

View Full Version : Vikings: Criticism turned into motivation

singersp
11-09-2006, 07:30 AM
Posted on Wed, Nov. 08, 2006

Vikings: Criticism turned into motivation (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/798177.html)

Vikings coaches heard Antoine Winfield's candid words, then made sure the team listened to him, too.

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
Last update: November 08, 2006 – 11:20 PM

singersp
11-09-2006, 07:38 AM
Posted on Thu, Nov. 09, 2006

Vikings vets take Winfield's message to heart (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/15965487.htm)

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

Suick
11-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Does this mean they won't throw the fade on 4th and 7?

Prophet
11-09-2006, 01:06 PM
I have a feeling the Vikings are going to pound the Packers into submission.
This will be fun.

----------------------

...Winfield's speech, as well as his criticism, seemed well-received at Winter Park. Quarterback Brad Johnson jokingly referred to him as "E.F. Hutton" -- as in, "When E.F. Hutton talks, people listen"...

...He disputed Winfield's contention that he calls running plays on "every" first down; actually, Childress said, the Vikings have passed on 52 percent of their first downs during the past four games. But otherwise, Childress said: "It's not like he's missing something. "I understand his frustration," Childress added. "He's a great competitor. He's a guy that puts it out there each and every week of the season. He has for a long period of time whether it's Buffalo or here, and he's frustrated. He's an eight-year pro ... who probably is not going to play another eight years. He wants to win now. And so, I feel [for] him."...

davike
11-09-2006, 01:15 PM
winfield is deff one of my favorite players on the team....and the nice thing is that he can back up his talk with his play. hopefully it will get our offense going, i want to stomp all over the packers sooooo bad

TheAnimal93
11-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Anyone think that this is what the doctor ordered?
The Vikes need the veteran leadership.
Now let's see how it goes.
8)

whackthepack
11-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Lets see if Winfield calling out the players and the coaches makes a difference on Sunday!
Maybe it is just what the team needed, or maybe it makes no difference.

cajunvike
11-09-2006, 06:40 PM
They had better get motivated...for the rest of the season!!!!

VikesfaninWis
11-09-2006, 07:07 PM
I am glad that they listened, now I hope they respond on offense.. Winfield is not only the defensive leader, he is a team leader.. He hardly ever talks smack, and when he does, he backs it up.. He is a class act, and presents himself very well.. He knows that the defense is one of the ebst in the league, now he wants the offense to follow suit.. If the offense were to perform like the defense, every team should worry about the Vikings.. I have doubts with Brad Johnson at the helm, but I hope he proves me wrong..

tampaviking
11-09-2006, 07:43 PM
didn't he call out cotrell last year after the panthers game. and then they won 7 out of 9. i could deal with similar results

singersp
11-09-2006, 08:02 PM
"tampaviking" wrote:

didn't he call out cotrell last year after the panthers game. and then they won 7 out of 9. i could deal with similar results

Yes. That's when Tice tore half the pages out of Cotrell's playbook as a result of it.

Winfield said Ted's defensive schemes were "hand-cuffing" the defense.

VKG4LFE
11-09-2006, 09:24 PM
"tampaviking" wrote:

Yes, excellent point! Well, chalk us up at 10-6!

marshallvike
11-10-2006, 03:39 PM
that's it. i'm getting a winfield jersey.