PDA

View Full Version : what is the problem with our offense?



marshallvike
11-06-2006, 08:53 PM
what is the real problem? is it the receiving corps? Brad? our offensive line? the imaginative play calling? our offensive co-ordinator? the game planning? what could possibly make a viking offense this lackluster?

or is it all the above?

Prophet
11-06-2006, 08:55 PM
or.....is it being discussed in a dozen other threads already.
8)

vikes_4_life_42
11-06-2006, 08:56 PM
they are probably all just worn out from reading all these threads about the games they lost.

marshallvike
11-06-2006, 09:00 PM
yes, but it seems one thread blames bj. another blames troy. somewhere else the right side of the line is discussed. i just wanted to see a comparison of all the problems tied into one thread.

Prophet
11-06-2006, 09:03 PM
"marshallvike" wrote:


yes, but it seems one thread blames bj. another blames troy. somewhere else the right side of the line is discussed. i just wanted to see a comparison of all the problems tied into one thread.


Try this one:

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=150&topic=28916.0

I like your theory, but when there are too many threads discussing the same topic the good posts are interspersed amoung a multitude of threads with a bunch of garbage inbetween.
People get sick of saying the same thing over and over.

Perch56
11-06-2006, 09:03 PM
mostly brad not throwing a TD pass he has 4. thats terrible in my book. i will also blame our terrible wr corps. and my final rant is terrible play calling. is it just me or is anybody else thinking this too.

Bdubya
11-06-2006, 09:04 PM
"marshallvike" wrote:


yes, but it seems one thread blames bj. another blames troy. somewhere else the right side of the line is discussed. i just wanted to see a comparison of all the problems tied into one thread.


I don't think we could have played as poorly as we did if it wasn't a unified, collaborative terrible game by everyone.
They all need to step up.

cajunvike
11-06-2006, 09:23 PM
The EASIER answer is what is RIGHT about our offense...

singersp
11-07-2006, 07:16 AM
Posted on Tue, Nov. 07, 2006

Winfield: Something has to give (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/15945944.htm)

Cornerback wonders whether offense is becoming too predictable

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

singersp
11-07-2006, 07:20 AM
Lack of points becomes a sore point for Vikings (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/792530.html)

Cornerback Antoine Winfield voiced concerns about the offense's poor production and predictability at the season's halfway point.

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
Last update: November 06, 2006 – 10:26 PM

singersp
11-07-2006, 07:22 AM
Vikings: Almost pointless (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/792535.html)

Last update: November 06, 2006 – 11:32 PM

Marrdro
11-07-2006, 07:23 AM
Normally I don't agree with this guy but at least he put some humor to our problems (notice the plural) with our offense.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/15946551.htm

kyleo1967
11-07-2006, 10:28 PM
According to both the St. Paul Pioneer Press and the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Vikings cornerback Antoine Winfield is sounding off regarding the team's inept offensive output.

On Sunday, the Vikings managed only three points against a woeful 49ers defense.
Six days before, the Vikings scored no offensive points against the Patriots.

Said Winfield on Monday:
"You have to score touchdowns in this league.
Field goals, you're not going to win too many games doing that.
After eight weeks, you would like to see some improvement.

"I don't know what it is.
Whether it's the play calling, I don't know."

Winfield said he thinks the offense is too predictable.
"You know, run every first and second down, throw third down," Winfield said before stopping himself.
"I'm going to leave that alone.
Stop right there.
I might say something I'm not supposed to."

A year ago, Winfield was vocal regarding the 2-5 team's defensive schemes.
And the Vikings responded with six straight wins.

This time around, the Vikings have two more wins and one less loss.
But with only seven offensive touchdowns in eight games, we think that the problems run far deeper than any one outspoken defensive back can fix.

NodakPaul
11-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Interesting.
Where was this story reported
(link?)?

I imagine the frustration for the players is much worse than our frustratino as fans.

Mr Anderson
11-07-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm glad someone like Winfield came out and said it. It's much better than if Smoot did. If it were anyone but Winfield, P or K Williams or Sharper I might have a problem with it, but a guy playing at his level and who hasn't made a peep all year has the right to make criticisms. The offense does suck, and I'm glad he made the world aware that our defense knows that it can't win games on its own.

kramer9guy
11-07-2006, 10:35 PM
I especially like the CAPS LOCK in the title. It gives the story extra special meaning to me personally.

sleepagent
11-07-2006, 11:05 PM
Has the Viking Ship sprung a leak?

BadlandsVikings
11-07-2006, 11:25 PM
"sleepagent" wrote:


Has the Viking Ship sprung a leak?


please don't say ship

DPep11
11-07-2006, 11:25 PM
"sleepagent" wrote:


Has the Viking Ship sprung a leak?


No, half of the ship is already under water and thats our offense. I think Winfield is trying to get it to carry its own weight.

singersp
11-07-2006, 11:34 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:


Interesting.
Where was this story reported
(link?)?

I imagine the frustration for the players is much worse than our frustratino as fans.


The stories were reported in the Trib & the Press yesterday as Kyleo stated in his post. The articles were posted in a thread about the problems with the offense yesterday morning.

With all the threads that came flying out Sunday & Monday, they were easy to miss. Here's the link to the articles kyleo is refering to;

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=149&topic=28928.0

WBLVikeBabe
11-07-2006, 11:41 PM
KFAN has been talking about this a lot lately.
I personally have mixed feelings about it.
Not sure if "criticizing" teamates and playcalling was such a great idea, but I will say what he said was true. Sincie Winfield usually doesn't say stuff like this though I'm glad he did say something this time.
He said what everyone's thinking, just being honest.

sleepagent
11-07-2006, 11:43 PM
"DPep11" wrote:


"sleepagent" wrote:


Has the Viking Ship sprung a leak?


No, half of the ship is already under water and thats our offense. I think Winfield is trying to get it to carry its own weight.


Well Thank God we went ashore then!
;D

WINchester FIELDer
11-07-2006, 11:55 PM
"kyleo1967" wrote:




According to both the St. Paul Pioneer Press and the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Vikings cornerback Antoine Winfield is sounding off regarding the team's inept offensive output.

On Sunday, the Vikings managed only three points against a woeful 49ers defense.
Six days before, the Vikings scored no offensive points against the Patriots.

Said Winfield on Monday:
"You have to score touchdowns in this league.
Field goals, you're not going to win too many games doing that.
After eight weeks, you would like to see some improvement.

"I don't know what it is.
Whether it's the play calling, I don't know."

Winfield said he thinks the offense is too predictable.
"You know, run every first and second down, throw third down," Winfield said before stopping himself.
"I'm going to leave that alone.
Stop right there.
I might say something I'm not supposed to."

A year ago, Winfield was vocal regarding the 2-5 team's defensive schemes.
And the Vikings responded with six straight wins.

This time around, the Vikings have two more wins and one less loss.
But with only seven offensive touchdowns in eight games, we think that the problems run far deeper than any one outspoken defensive back can fix.




i agree with him 100%
especially about the offense being predictable

he's gotta watch out though isnt his locker right beside Bryant McKinnie he doesnt have to worry about BJ though

michaelmazid
11-08-2006, 12:04 AM
I couldn't agree with him more.

vikes_4_life_42
11-08-2006, 12:09 AM
he is totally right. i really hope we can get it together. our d is doing the best they can, but they cant do it all. we need a lil help from the offense.

ItalianStallion
11-08-2006, 12:12 AM
Maybe the coaches and players will take these comments to heart, much like they did last year when Winfield criticized Cotrell's playcalling.

CCthebest
11-08-2006, 01:11 AM
It must be really tough on the D, especially the core of the team like Winfield

cajunvike
11-08-2006, 01:58 AM
You tell 'em, Toine!!!!

VikesfaninWis
11-08-2006, 07:17 AM
Right or wrong for saing it, Winfield was dead on with those statements.. He can actually say something, because it is his side of the ball that is doing everything.. I don't think that he is trying to criticize his teammates as much as he is trying to get them pumped up and turn it around.. Winfield is a leader, and that is what leaders do.. Good job in my opinion..

singersp
11-08-2006, 08:07 AM
Offense is what it is: sorry (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/15955044.htm)

Posted on Wed, Nov. 08, 2006

TOM POWERS

singersp
11-08-2006, 08:10 AM
Lowest of the low for Vikings? (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/15955047.htm)

Posted on Wed, Nov. 08, 2006

The 2006 Vikings might end up as the lowest-scoring group in team history. Even worse, the offense has just one more touchdown than the defense and special teams.

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

NordicNed
11-08-2006, 08:20 AM
They probably all had their minds in the Valley of Death, instead of concentrating on their dam play...










http://espn-ak.starwave.com/photo/2006/1107/TMQ_ninerscheerleader_195.jpg

CCthebest
11-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Yummy

Maybe Winfields comments will do more good then harm. Luckily Smoot didnt say it or people like myself would be calling for his head.

Prophet
11-08-2006, 11:52 AM
"CCthebest" wrote:

...Maybe Winfields comments will do more good then harm. Luckily Smoot didnt say it or people like myself would be calling for his head.


You have to give Smoot a bye this week considering his family situation.
Next week all bets are on again.

cajunvike
11-08-2006, 11:54 AM
"VikingNed" wrote:


They probably all had their minds in the Valley of Death, instead of concentrating on their dam play...











http://espn-ak.starwave.com/photo/2006/1107/TMQ_ninerscheerleader_195.jpg


Yeah, that's it...I would be distracted too!
;D

Del Rio
11-08-2006, 11:55 AM
I do not think the offense is too predictable. Childress is about 50/50 on passing and running on 1st downs. He throws deep on third and short ......how is that predictable?

I think it is exactly what Childress said it was, a guy making a mistake here a guy there, it all adds up.

This offsense is not on the same page. The line hasn't come together, the WR core is playing poorly, the QB is making bad decisions the TE's are non exsistant, about the only people who seem to be doing well are the HB's even Artrose Pinner is doing ok.

jargomcfargo
11-08-2006, 12:12 PM
"Del" wrote:


I do not think the offense is too predictable. Childress is about 50/50 on passing and running on 1st downs. He throws deep on third and short ......how is that predictable?

I think it is exactly what Childress said it was, a guy making a mistake here a guy there, it all adds up.

This offsense is not on the same page. The line hasn't come together, the WR core is playing poorly, the QB is making bad decisions the TE's are non exsistant, about the only people who seem to be doing well are the HB's even Artrose Pinner is doing ok.




To me, that's it in a nutshell.Oline and execution and things could look a lot different right now.The Oline just doesn't look physical enough to me.
I noticed Hutch calling line plays instead of Birk. Do you think there is a problem there?

Richardson also looked very good last week!

Del Rio
11-08-2006, 12:25 PM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:


"Del" wrote:


I do not think the offense is too predictable. Childress is about 50/50 on passing and running on 1st downs. He throws deep on third and short ......how is that predictable?

I think it is exactly what Childress said it was, a guy making a mistake here a guy there, it all adds up.

This offsense is not on the same page. The line hasn't come together, the WR core is playing poorly, the QB is making bad decisions the TE's are non exsistant, about the only people who seem to be doing well are the HB's even Artrose Pinner is doing ok.




To me, that's it in a nutshell.Oline and execution and things could look a lot different right now.The Oline just doesn't look physical enough to me.
I noticed Hutch calling line plays instead of Birk. Do you think there is a problem there?

Richardson also looked very good last week!


I don't know. It depends on what he was saying I guess. Most lines allow all players to call out things they notice. If he is pointing I doubt he is saying McKinnie go block him.

If he has taken over all of the adjustments that could be huge. I don't know how Birk would handle that.

ChezPizmo
11-08-2006, 12:30 PM
"vikes_4_life_42" wrote:


they are probably all just worn out from reading all these threads about the games they lost.


haha.

ItalianStallion
11-08-2006, 01:01 PM
"Del" wrote:


I do not think the offense is too predictable. Childress is about 50/50 on passing and running on 1st downs. He throws deep on third and short ......how is that predictable?

I think it is exactly what Childress said it was, a guy making a mistake here a guy there, it all adds up.

This offsense is not on the same page. The line hasn't come together, the WR core is playing poorly, the QB is making bad decisions the TE's are non exsistant, about the only people who seem to be doing well are the HB's even Artrose Pinner is doing ok.




Maybe predictable in the sense that most of what opposing teams see on film from our offense in previous games, is what they see on game day.
Maybe predictable in the sense that we call the same types of of plays in the same types of situations.
Predictible doesn't imply imbalanced.
Sure throwing in a deep pass every now and then might make it unpredictable, if the defense actually respected the fact that we could complete one.

Who knows, I would defer to Antoine's knowledge seeing as how he practices against the team all week and sees them play the game.

Vikingryche
11-08-2006, 01:20 PM
The true fact of the matter is we have a totally new offense. Look through history of the NFL and see how many teams that have installed various versions of the WC offense, have fared in their first year..
Your talkin every aspect of offense is different, blocking schemes, terminoligy, plays, and so on!!!! I really didnt expect anything big from our offense this year, I did expect more points than 3 against the 49ers..
:o
Anyways by the end of the year our offense will have progressed and be better..
Go Vikes!!!!!
I will always bleed purple!!!!!

Purple Floyd
11-08-2006, 01:40 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:


"Del" wrote:


I do not think the offense is too predictable. Childress is about 50/50 on passing and running on 1st downs. He throws deep on third and short ......how is that predictable?

I think it is exactly what Childress said it was, a guy making a mistake here a guy there, it all adds up.

This offsense is not on the same page. The line hasn't come together, the WR core is playing poorly, the QB is making bad decisions the TE's are non exsistant, about the only people who seem to be doing well are the HB's even Artrose Pinner is doing ok.




Maybe predictable in the sense that most of what opposing teams see on film from our offense in previous games, is what they see on game day.
Maybe predictable in the sense that we call the same types of of plays in the same types of situations.
Predictible doesn't imply imbalanced.
Sure throwing in a deep pass every now and then might make it unpredictable, if the defense actually respected the fact that we could complete one.

Who knows, I would defer to Antoine's knowledge seeing as how he practices against the team all week and sees them play the game.



I think that there is truth in both of those statements. I do think Childress has been doing a decent job at times of diversifying the calls. We certainly have won a few games due to shaking things up with fake field goals...
But it does seem that our basic formations have been too easy to defend by our opponents. The thing that I do not know is whether it is due to the coaches not training the players properly or whether the players are not executing properly, but that should be easy for Childress to find out and he should address it decisively.
One thing is for sure, our offense for many years has been plagued by having penalties at terrible times in drives. During the winning streak at the end of last year it looked like they may have finally gotten over that hurdle but they have certainly fallen back into it.

Del Rio
11-08-2006, 01:58 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:


"Del" wrote:


I do not think the offense is too predictable. Childress is about 50/50 on passing and running on 1st downs. He throws deep on third and short ......how is that predictable?

I think it is exactly what Childress said it was, a guy making a mistake here a guy there, it all adds up.

This offsense is not on the same page. The line hasn't come together, the WR core is playing poorly, the QB is making bad decisions the TE's are non exsistant, about the only people who seem to be doing well are the HB's even Artrose Pinner is doing ok.




Maybe predictable in the sense that most of what opposing teams see on film from our offense in previous games, is what they see on game day.
Maybe predictable in the sense that we call the same types of of plays in the same types of situations.
Predictible doesn't imply imbalanced.
Sure throwing in a deep pass every now and then might make it unpredictable, if the defense actually respected the fact that we could complete one.

Who knows, I would defer to Antoine's knowledge seeing as how he practices against the team all week and sees them play the game.


It doesn't make sense.

I am not talking about balance. I am talking about being predictable. Predictable is running on first down, passing on 3rd down.

Again against the Patriots we ran play action pass all night and we hardly ran and it was sucking their LB's in every single time.

Sorry this offense is anything but predictable and personally I am not so quick to take the advice of a frustrated DB who SHOULD know the plays LMAO he practices against them EVERY DAY, so yeah him thinking they are predictable doesnt mean a whole hell of a lot to me.

Time will tell I guess.

x-ray jeff
11-08-2006, 02:47 PM
If they are going to be predictable , then they should at least do it with some purpose. Line Kleinsasser up in front of Richardson a few times and just smash it in there.That may be predictable,but it would sure wear on the defense after a few tries. It seems like Childress is just calling plays based on down and distance without setting anything up first.

Prophet
11-08-2006, 03:06 PM
"x-ray" wrote:


If they are going to be predictable , then they should at least do it with some purpose. Line Kleinsasser up in front of Richardson a few times and just smash it in there.That may be predictable,but it would sure wear on the defense after a few tries. It seems like Childress is just calling plays based on down and distance without setting anything up first.


It has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt that 'seems like' and reality are two different things.

cajunvike
11-08-2006, 03:12 PM
Did You Know? Vikings on pace for 16 offensive touchdowns by season’s end; Randy Moss had 17 in 2003 all by his lonesome

Posted November 08, by Ben Maller

petrodemos
11-08-2006, 03:19 PM
if you say what is tru, non-existant TEs, WR playing poorly, a Oline not gelling and a QB making bad decisions, at what point does this turn into childress' fault. our O wasnt this bad last year, and even though Koren Robinson was on the team, he did not play WR very much, so it wasnt him. there was that giants game where the Offense was non-existant but we still won, that was so cool.

so many more coaches than last year, is that it maybe? too many coaches?

if for 3 more weeks the offense keeps sputtering and scoring less than 10 pts a game, theres got to be something that says, "maybe all these coaches arent the answer after all"

only time will tell. we could win out and score 40pts a game, and we'l all forget this time. ;)

Del Rio
11-08-2006, 03:23 PM
"petrodemos" wrote:


if you say what is tru, non-existant TEs, WR playing poorly, a Oline not gelling and a QB making bad decisions, at what point does this turn into childress' fault. our O wasnt this bad last year, and even though Koren Robinson was on the team, he did not play WR very much, so it wasnt him. there was that giants game where the Offense was non-existant but we still won, that was so cool.

so many more coaches than last year, is that it maybe? too many coaches?

if for 3 more weeks the offense keeps sputtering and scoring less than 10 pts a game, theres got to be something that says, "maybe all these coaches arent the answer after all"

only time will tell. we could win out and score 40pts a game, and we'l all forget this time. ;)




Our offense wasn't this bad last year. Last year we were running an offense that has been the same for the last 10 years as admitted by Tice.

This year we have new coaches, new offensive scheme, new players only B.McKinnie is a returning starter from last year(on the line). A New HB, a new FB, a few less WR's then we had......

There are many reasons why you cannot compare last years offense to this years offense.

Del Rio
11-08-2006, 03:41 PM
It's pretty plain to see why the offense struggles and it is mistakes. We are the 2nd most penalized team in the entire NFL on offense. That is #2.

Look through the play by play on NFL.com or wherever you want and look at those penalties.

1-10 HOLDING on Marcus Johnson 10 yard Penalty
1-20

Against san fran alone I counted 3 times we were 1-20 because of a penalty. You want to talk predictable. You tell me how small the play book gets when your looking at 1st and 20?

Not only that but to make matters worse Brad Johnson gets sacked when in long distance situations.

Stupid penalties at costly times. How many times have we said we got into the redzone and had a costly penalty.

I'm sorry folks 2nd most offensive penalties in the NFL is excessive to say the least. You blame the coaches, you blame the QB, the WR, whoever you have to so you can sleep at night but when you have that many penalties that:

A)Take away a score
B) Put you in long distance situations
C) Take you out of the redzone

You are not going to be very good. How many possessions did we have against the 49ers? 10. We had the ball 10 times during the course of the entire game. You want 3 first and 20's? No. Do you want a score nullified by a penalty? No. A special teams penalty that puts you inside your own 10 yard line? No. You take away penalties you have ~ 4-5 possessions that should have resulted in something, but here is the kicker.......offense needs rythym. It is hard to achieve that when your constantly shooting yourself in the foot.

x-ray jeff
11-08-2006, 03:42 PM
"Acumen" wrote:


"x-ray" wrote:


If they are going to be predictable , then they should at least do it with some purpose. Line Kleinsasser up in front of Richardson a few times and just smash it in there.That may be predictable,but it would sure wear on the defense after a few tries. It seems like Childress is just calling plays based on down and distance without setting anything up first.


It has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt that 'seems like' and reality are two different things.



Well it just "seems like" they could do a little better.I hope the reality is not that they are playing as well as they can.

CCthebest
11-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Wow second most penalties on offense in nfl? Where this discipline of Childress?

And both a Patriot and 49ers defensive player said they only needed to protect the short stuff. They did that and won. Its all BJ can do is dump off or check down. Now im not sure if they are called that way or BJ does it on his own, but it IS predictable. They only have to cover 20 yards and they are golden.

Del Rio
11-08-2006, 03:56 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:


Wow second most penalties on offense in nfl? Where this discipline of Childress?

And both a Patriot and 49ers defensive player said they only needed to protect the short stuff. They did that and won. Its all BJ can do is dump off or check down. Now im not sure if they are called that way or BJ does it on his own, but it IS predictable. They only have to cover 20 yards and they are golden.


Please direct me to the link where you found that LMAO. How is 20 yards in predictable? You can run many different plays inside 20 yards LMAO. That has absolutely nothing to do with being predictable. Execution? Yeah for sure.

B.McKinnie has 1 holding that took us from the redzone to a 3rd and long
A. Hicks has 2 that did the same thing
M. Johnson has 1 that did the same thing

Seriously though please show me where you got that info from the 49er player and the Patriots player.

Do people not watch the games? I mean seriously this probably has a lot to do with people who only get to see like 4 Vikings games a year right? Because we attempt to go deep EVERY SINGLE GAME. It is on film it is on the TV right in front of your eyes.

cogitans
11-08-2006, 04:04 PM
What we have actually been good at on offense is controlling the TOP. That's a stat were we're ranked #6

This helps us keeping it close, but we still need to put the points on the board at the end of the games.

This has kind of been the story of our team this year. The games where we score in the end we win, otherwise we don't.

cogitans
11-08-2006, 04:10 PM
"Del" wrote:


Do people not watch the games? I mean seriously this probably has a lot to do with people who only get to see like 4 Vikings games a year right? Because we attempt to go deep EVERY SINGLE GAME. It is on film it is on the TV right in front of your eyes.


I agree on this. I've pointed it out myself earlier.

I just believe that we have had some games where we didn't do a good job of it. I believe it were the games against Chicago, Buffalo and Detroit. But we have been putting more shots downfield lately. And that's why we'll get better when we get the execution down.

Also we have had two games, Buffalo and New England, where we abandoned the run. We didn't do that against San Francisco, and that is the best thing I can say about that game. I were almost content after the loss that Childress kept to his run game in the 4th quarter, because I believe that'll be important later on.

CCthebest
11-08-2006, 04:35 PM
NO one else heard the Patriot ( i think it was a db) and the 49ers player (saftey i think ) say something like "we knew we onlt\y had to control the short stuff"? It was on ESPN or NFL network.

Again I dont know if Childress call all those short dumps, especially on 3rd and long, or if BJ checks down. The point is teams know they only have to really defend the short stuff. Until the Vilkes prove otherwise.

davike
11-08-2006, 04:51 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:


NO one else heard the Patriot ( i think it was a db) and the 49ers player (saftey i think ) say something like "we knew we onlt\y had to control the short stuff"? It was on ESPN or NFL network.

Again I dont know if Childress call all those short dumps, especially on 3rd and long, or if BJ checks down. The point is teams know they only have to really defend the short stuff. Until the Vilkes prove otherwise.


i didn't see it, but that is not good. but still they sure do cover our guys well past the "20" mark. if you watch BJ closely you can tell he wants to go deep, he looks, almost throws then he pulls himself back and decides to dump it off rather then launch it into double or triple coverage. but that happens many times in a game. so its not like we don't or aren't trying to go deep. and anyways when BJ does throw it deep, his recievers drop the ball. so far chestor taylor has provided the most reliable target for BJ. does anyone think its possible that BJ is losing faith in his recievers?

x-ray jeff
11-08-2006, 05:30 PM
I guess what I'm trying to get at is there may be too much emphasis on the scripted plays/percentage plays. What I would like to see is more adjustment during the game. For instance , if McKinnie is getting beaten off the snap by his man early in the game,why not run a couple wedge blocking plays towards his man? If the defense is sitting on the flat routes,run a few seam routes. Anything that gets the guys emotionally into the game would help with execution and rythym. I'm not calling for Childress to "strap on the nipple clamps", just to be a little more flexible to the game situations.The defender that is running his mouth,or burning them on consecutive plays should be the guy they attack sometimes. Even if that play goes against the percentages. It could help fire some of our guys up.

goldseedlbg
11-09-2006, 12:35 AM
what is the problem with our offense?

1. the play calling sucks. i see why andy reid called the plays for the eagles. brad childress is a horrible player caller. he is very predictable. the only time they throw the ball deep is on 4th and short. on 3rd and long the play is either a draw play or a throw to the runningback in the flat for 2 or 3 yards.

2. m johnson is playing awful. we should fine him for every bonehead penalty. this idiot did not even try to block peppers on some of his sacks.

3. brad johnson needs to be benched. i would rather have a rookie qb making the kinds of mistakes brad is making. he is 38 and he is making rookie mistakes every game. he leads us to 3 points against the 49ers. he mismanaged the clock against the bills. he has thrown 8 ints in 8 games.

4. our wr suck. troy needs to catch the ball. we need to fine him for every dropped ball. t taylor fumbles too much and is playing like garbage. we should play memo at wide out.

purplehorn
11-09-2006, 02:42 AM
"goldseedlbg" wrote:


what is the problem with our offense?

1. the play calling sucks. i see why andy reid called the plays for the eagles. brad childress is a horrible player caller. he is very predictable. the only time they throw the ball deep is on 4th and short. on 3rd and long the play is either a draw play or a throw to the runningback in the flat for 2 or 3 yards.

2. m johnson is playing awful. we should fine him for every bonehead penalty. this idiot did not even try to block peppers on some of his sacks.

3. brad johnson needs to be benched. i would rather have a rookie qb making the kinds of mistakes brad is making. he is 38 and he is making rookie mistakes every game. he leads us to 3 points against the 49ers. he mismanaged the clock against the bills. he has thrown 8 ints in 8 games.

4. our wr suck. troy needs to catch the ball. we need to fine him for every dropped ball. t taylor fumbles too much and is playing like garbage. we should play memo at wide out.


Great optimisim and capitalization.
???

The Vikes WILL win 5 in a row and put an end to this banter mark my words
;)

Purple Floyd
11-09-2006, 09:18 AM
So in the end is the problem with the coaches not coaching properly or is it the players not executing properly?

Del Rio
11-09-2006, 09:23 AM
"CCthebest" wrote:


NO one else heard the Patriot ( i think it was a db) and the 49ers player (saftey i think ) say something like "we knew we onlt\y had to control the short stuff"? It was on ESPN or NFL network.

Again I dont know if Childress call all those short dumps, especially on 3rd and long, or if BJ checks down. The point is teams know they only have to really defend the short stuff. Until the Vilkes prove otherwise.


No one else heard the Patriot? Did you meet him at a resturant and have a one on one?

LOL I'm just playing.

Del Rio
11-09-2006, 09:25 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:


So in the end is the problem with the coaches not coaching properly or is it the players not executing properly?




I think it all comes down to execution. Players dropping passes, check downs when we need longer yardage, sacks, 2nd most penalties in the NFL on offense, drive killing and score killing penalties, turnovers.

I don't see how any one can pin it on play calling. Unless Childress broke out his book of "Magical good plays" for the Seattle game. The plays work the players need to execute.

JDogg926
11-09-2006, 09:41 AM
Del nailed it.
Dropped passes, stupid penalties, poor pass protection, Brad's lack of faith in the receivers leading him to taking the 3 yard dump off on 3rd and 12.

Purple Floyd
11-09-2006, 10:31 AM
"Del" wrote:


"UffDaVikes" wrote:


So in the end is the problem with the coaches not coaching properly or is it the players not executing properly?




I think it all comes down to execution. Players dropping passes, check downs when we need longer yardage, sacks, 2nd most penalties in the NFL on offense, drive killing and score killing penalties, turnovers.

I don't see how any one can pin it on play calling. Unless Childress broke out his book of "Magical good plays" for the Seattle game. The plays work the players need to execute.


I agree that the play calling isn't the biggest problem. Stupid penalties have been a trademark of the offensive line since Todd Steussie set the standard when he arrived here. During his tenure you could pretty much bank on him getting a false start or holding penalty every time we had a crucial play. I had hoped that the new group would be able to end that tendency but maybe it is just too ingrained into the teams mentality.

Maybe the coaches should develop some sort of comprehension test that linemen need to pass before they are signed.

snowinapril
11-09-2006, 10:50 AM
Mentality

Mentality

Mentality

Mentality

Check down says it all.

"I don't want to win, I just want to be safe."

"I want them to hand me the victory."

How about this for a change, "I want to make one more play than the other team, to win this game."

singersp
11-11-2006, 08:09 AM
Posted November 11, 2006

Vikings having trouble with Childress' offense (http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061111/PKR01/611110534/1989)

BY SEAN JENSEN
St. Paul Pioneer Press

CT29
02-18-2007, 11:28 PM
our problem is that we have no QB. Our qbs... suck i mean coem on we all know they do we need brady quinn or a free agency qb liek garcia to come in here adn shape our wr's up.

Ltrey33
02-19-2007, 12:18 AM
"CT29" wrote:


our problem is that we have no QB. Our qbs... suck i mean coem on we all know they do we need brady quinn or a free agency qb liek garcia to come in here adn shape our wr's up.


CT, I think our problems ran deeper than that. We had problems all the way around.

Our offensive line had problems protecting for a good portion of the season (definately underacheieved in pass protection) and our wide receivers couldn't get ANY separation. Those things combined with bad quarterback play made our offense pretty inept. We have a lot of things to adress when it comes to the passing game.

defensiveplaymaker1
02-20-2007, 02:03 PM
"marshallvike" wrote:


what is the real problem? is it the receiving corps? Brad? our offensive line? the imaginative play calling? our offensive co-ordinator? the game planning? what could possibly make a viking offense this lackluster?

or is it all the above?



Troy Williamson is the first of our offensive problems.
Cut him now!
Accept that it was a huge bust of a pick at #7 overall.
He's terrible.
He hurts our team by simply stepping on the field.
He lacks the ability to catch the ball.
Which is kind of essential at his position I think.
He lacks the size to battle for deep balls like a moss has.
He gets pushed around by d-backs because he's not that big.
He's just horrible...he's no deep threat at all.
In 2 years he has 3 plays which have went for over 40 yards.
And i'm guessing those plays were ones where he caught it about 10 or 15 yards down the field and happened to run it further.
Last year he had 37 catches for 455 yards and NO touchdowns.
I really really hope we either trade him or put a fresh batch of super glue on his gloves before every play....and maybe have him grow a few more inches and put on 20 lbs.
Oh wait, instead.....let's draft Calvin Johnson....because he's tall, fast, has good size, can jump.....and.....drumroll please......can catch the ball!!

V-Unit
02-20-2007, 02:20 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:


Mentality

Mentality

Mentality

Mentality

Check down says it all.

"I don't want to win, I just want to be safe."

"I want them to hand me the victory."

How about this for a change, "I want to make one more play than the other team, to win this game."


Bingo!
The sad part is that we thought that the conservative mentality was what would keep the offense moving downfield in the first place. The problem is that every part of the offense reeks of conservatism. No arm strength at QB, no deep threat at receiver, and no genius making the playcalls. At least we can run the ball.

Mr Anderson
02-20-2007, 02:25 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:


Mentality

Mentality

Mentality

Mentality

Check down says it all.

"I don't want to win, I just want to be safe."

"I want them to hand me the victory."

How about this for a change, "I want to make one more play than the other team, to win this game."


You probably can't hear it right now, but I'm applauding.

minvikes01
02-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Play calling and WRs

Our best receiver is Travis Taylor, he has played ok, but is nothing special.
When we run on the first two downs and then have to pass on third, there is no one to go to.
Also, throw the ball down the damn field, no more of these dump passes on third and long.
We need to be more aggressive, not only to succeed at offense, but to take pressure off our pass d, which as this point needs a lot of work.

slinkey
02-20-2007, 03:03 PM
Problem:

1.
Collapsing right side of OL.
2.
No receivers to throw to.
3.
Running game which has no run after contact.

slavinator
02-20-2007, 04:17 PM
1.O Coordinator- we arent inventive enough etc as Childress has too many other things he is concentrating on- he is not Shanahan or Reid or Holmgren.......
2. Players-WE have the worst WR's in the league, and on top of that they arent built for WC offense
3. No Deep Ball threat, no matter what D's only have to defend 12 yards of the field..

Marrdro
02-21-2007, 01:53 PM
Thought this might be interesting in this thread.
I found this article through a friend.

http://www.thehogs.net/content/index.php?id=856

First of all, I don't agree with his cap number.
I think it will be a bit higher than ESPN is reporting ($12mil) based on who we let go.
Should be around 15-20 Mill low side.

I know this thread is about offense but part of our offensive production could also be credited to the fact that our D couldn't get off the field all the time.


With that said, He kindof aludes to the fact that we might get rid of Udeze.
I am not to sure of that as we must all remember that Udeze was playing on his off side last year cause James was hurt.
I think he will do a bit better next year back at his normal position.

Additionally, it is a pretty good analysis on our team and found the comment that we were in the top of the league in receptions interesting.

I went ahead and check some stats to verify that and here is what I came up with:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=teampass&pos=off&league=nfl&season=2&year=2006

Ranked 7th in receptions
Ranked 9th in attempts
Ranked 18th in yards (short dinks/dunks)
Ranked 25th in Interceptions
Ranked 30th in TD's