PDA

View Full Version : Players we need to get rid of for next year?

ThaSuperFreak33
11-05-2006, 07:52 PM
There are some very weak players on the team we need to get rid of for next year just curious who you think should leave?

1. Fred Smoot- terrible coverage and cant tackle but has a big mouth
2. Troy Williamson- cant catch and isnt worth the paycheck to use for KR
3. Bethel Johnson- although his price isnt too high he is probably better than T Will
4. Billy McMullen- waste...
5. Brad Johnson- he is a reliable backup QB at best but not a starter
6. Marcus Johnson- will he ever be able to block and not jump off sides

williamsontothebench
11-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Bethel Johnson we must keep. He is the best we have at wide reciever.
Brad Johnson needs to be let go.
Jackson needs to start and start next week vs Green Bay.

baumy300
11-05-2006, 08:00 PM
I agree with your list 110% bro.

Funny how professional coaches and GM's can't see this &*%$!!!!!!!

IbleedPURPLEandGOLD
11-05-2006, 09:13 PM
1) They throw at Winfield more than Smoot
2) Way to give up on a top 10, 2nd year WR. Please, what have Edwards and Williams done again? Checkdown Johnson can't use Troy's talent, speed.
3) Johnson has done a fine job returning.
4) McMullen isn't bad for a #5 WR
5) Agree, he is a solid backup, but cannot start in the NFL anymore
6) Again, a first day pick, in his 2nd year, give him time, we aren't going anywhere anyways. He has improved, but I would be for signing a RT in free agency.

BTW, we can't afford to cut Smoot.

VikesfaninWis
11-05-2006, 09:19 PM
1. Keep M-Rob, and Bethel Johnson and let the rest on the WR crew walk..

2. Fred Smoot needs to go, that guy couldn't cover my grandma..

3. BJ needs to be the backup, or just let go.. He doesn't have what it takes to get the Vikes over the hump..

4. Something nees to be done with that right side of the offensive line.. Hicks,a nd Johnso are not the answers there..

5. They need to get Wiggins more involved in the passing game.. He has the best hands of all of them, yet you don't hear his name that much..

CCthebest
11-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Agree with Spuerfreak 100%, and in the same order

singersp
11-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Fred Smoot just had two solid back to back games. All the missed tackles we had today & last week & you guys single out Smoot who had only 1 this week.

litlharsh
11-05-2006, 09:56 PM
If you guys are honest about letting Williamson walk, then I'm absolutely puzzled as to why the mental hospital allows unrestricted internet usage.

//cheap shot.

Gift
11-05-2006, 09:57 PM
BJ & T-will should be riding the pine next week & hopefully the rest of the way out.

Prophet
11-05-2006, 09:58 PM
"litlharsh" wrote:

If you guys are honest about letting Williamson walk, then I'm absolutely puzzled as to why the mental hospital allows unrestricted internet usage.
//cheap shot.

You may want to make the bolded part of your post your signature.

BadlandsVikings
11-05-2006, 09:59 PM
Get rid of all the guys that aren't doing what they were paid to do.

Webby
11-05-2006, 10:05 PM
crap, then even I would be fired!!!
I haven't thinned the herd enough lately to get out all the weak and slow.

Getting rid of single players DOES NOTHING.
You need a better plan, like *who* you plan to plug in and what kind of adapting scheme you will use them in.

This isn't an engine that you just put a new spark plug in.

cogitans
11-05-2006, 10:11 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Fred Smoot just had two solid back to back games. All the missed tackles we had today & last week & you guys single out Smoot who had only 1 this week.

I believe he had two. One on Gore, and one on Robinson.

midgensa
11-05-2006, 11:21 PM
"Webby" wrote:

You need a better plan, like *who* you plan to plug in and what kind of adapting scheme you will use them in.

Seriously ... could you get to the herd thinning?
Coming on here and wanting to talk about the problems on offense ... what Troy can do to get things fixed ... if there are options other than BJ and all would be fun ... but instead ... every time we lose this board is FILLED with nothing but hate ... it makes it much less enticing to some of is that have been here a long time.

tjohnson
11-05-2006, 11:24 PM
"williamsontothebench" wrote:

Bethel Johnson we must keep. He is the best we have at wide reciever.
Brad Johnson needs to be let go.
Jackson needs to start and start next week vs Green Bay.

if bethel is the best receiver, then all the receivers must go

Webby
11-05-2006, 11:31 PM
"midgensa" wrote:

"Webby" wrote:

Coming on here and wanting to talk about the problems on offense ... what Troy can do to get things fixed ... if there are options other than BJ and all would be fun ... but instead ... every time we lose this board is FILLED with nothing but hate ... it makes it much less enticing to some of is that have been here a long time.

I had a banner day today, and will continue to as long as folks don't follow the rules.

I hear ya!

Problem is, losses is when most of the mouth breathers come out and yap like annoying little dogs.

That way *everywhere*....we are lighter on that then some places!

minvikes01
11-05-2006, 11:36 PM
not going to single out players, but we need to improve our depth at DB, we need improvement on the right side of the O-line.
And we need a receiver to step up and make plays, which means holding onto the ball, especially when it means a first down.
I think so far our D-line and LBs have been a pleasant surprise, as has our running game, when we utilize it. My main problem is the pass offense, it has done almost nothing this year, we need TDs through the air, we can't just rely on defense and special teams to get things done.
I think we need to take a good look at getting better QB depth too.
Perhaps bring in Matt Schaub, or some other QB that has some experience, in the offseason to compete with T-Jack for the starting QB job, if he is available.

HornedHat
11-05-2006, 11:58 PM
Yeah Baby! I forgot about the Matt Schaub thread. I say, 'Let's get him'. T-Jack won't be ready, let Schaub prove he can be the man, and T-Jack compete. I love Brad, but not next year...please. Let him play out this season, he'll get us in the playoffs, most likely, but that's it. Don't traumatize T-Jack by forcing him in too soon. I had high hopes this season, but I always knew it was a long shot. Unless Bollinger is better than I think, we have no QB this year.

minvikes01
11-06-2006, 12:14 AM
The way Brad has been playing, I'm starting to doubt he'll be able to lead us to the playoffs.
If we get there it will be because the Defense/Special Teams carried us all the way.

ItalianStallion
11-06-2006, 01:14 AM
"Webby" wrote:

"midgensa" wrote:

"Webby" wrote:

I had a banner day today, and will continue to as long as folks don't follow the rules.

I hear ya!

Problem is, losses is when most of the mouth breathers come out and yap like annoying little dogs.

That way *everywhere*....we are lighter on that then some places!

Concerns regarding our offense are not new, nor are they restricted to only being shared after losses.
We have scored 3 points in the past 2 games.
Our offense is averaging 10.5 points a game.
To put it simply, we are VERY lucky to even be 4-4.
Brad Johnson has never shown he could consistently run the offense since he has been our starting qb, even going back to last year.
Brooks Bollinger will not do any better.
In all likelyhood, neither will Tarvaris.
The fact of the matter is, Tarvaris is the only one where we don't know what we're getting.
With our season beginning to slip, I am not opposed to shaking things up.
Seeing as how we are past the trade deadline and there are no good FA qbs, Tarvaris seems like the best option.

If Tarvaris starts as a rookie next year, he won't play any better because he didn't gain experience this year.
You can't tell me that Vince Young is more NFL ready than Tarvaris, at least Tarvaris can throw.
Vince Young isn't crumbling under the pressure like so many people seem to think happens to all rookie QBs.

My point is...with Brad playing so poorly...and Tarvaris being our future QB, lets see what we actually have with Tarvaris.
Then again, it won't happen anyway, because Childress is about as undynamic and predictable as it gets on offense.

Until then, I can say I'm looking forward to the 3 yard passes on 3rd and long, and the long bombs on 4th and short.
::)

TMAC604
11-06-2006, 01:28 AM
WE HAVE TO GET RID OF THESE GUYS.

Troy Williamson
Donatarius Thomas
Markus Robinson (He is amazing for 3 games a year - non factor in the rest)

We need a Moss type player.
What i mean is someone with is jumping abilities.
6-5 Who can catch those passes inside the 15 yard line

ItalianStallion
11-06-2006, 01:30 AM
"TMAC604" wrote:

Troy Williamson
Donatarius Thomas

You mean..someone like...Marcus Robinson?

TMAC604
11-06-2006, 01:32 AM
Yes
But the guy has 3 or 4 games that make u think WOW.
Then is nonexistent the rest of the year.
Look at his stats the last 3 seasons.
He has like 6 or more TD's.
Those happen usually in a few games were he scores 2 tds.

Not sure why he is inconsistent.

ItalianStallion
11-06-2006, 01:44 AM
"TMAC604" wrote:

Yes
But the guy has 3 or 4 games that make u think WOW.
Then is nonexistent the rest of the year.
Look at his stats the last 3 seasons.
He has like 6 or more TD's.
Those happen usually in a few games were he scores 2 tds.

Not sure why he is inconsistent.

He's inconsistent because he has had minor injury issues every season.
Even despite that, he is still the most consistent receiver we have on the roster.

michaelmazid
11-06-2006, 01:45 AM
CUT FRED SMOOT FIRST THING MONDAY MORNING!!!!!!

I HATE HIM GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

TMAC604
11-06-2006, 01:46 AM
Don't get me wrong. I like Marcus but we cant have him as a No. 1 or 2.
He is a No. 3 who we can take shots with when the D loads up on others.
If we had him today I think we would have won.
I just think we need more consistency.

cajunvike
11-06-2006, 02:03 AM
"TMAC604" wrote:

Troy Williamson
Donatarius Thomas

Did Dontarrious have a bad game today?

Mr-holland
11-06-2006, 02:09 AM
i think we need to upgrade our receiving squad, we suck at that point
i don't think we desperately need do get rid of any played
i am disapointed in our line a bit though, not comming out of it what we all expected

jordy
11-06-2006, 05:03 AM
i dont think the oline played bad yesterday, neither did smoot, i dont see why you are all pointing at smoot because he had a solid game again yesterday..the problem is that grandpa under center...i mean this guy cant make a play, simple as that. he has a high complete percentege and why? beacause he keeps dumping off the ball to rb, everybody has a high rating then...seriously, i dont know if tarvaris is the anwser, but at least hes a playmaker, not a qb that waits an hour in the pocket to get sacked and then doesnt protect the ball...the coaches have to see now that johnson is not the right guy for this team

GreenBaySlackers
11-06-2006, 06:32 AM
"IbleedPURPLEandGOLD" wrote:

1) They throw at Winfield more than Smoot
2) Way to give up on a top 10, 2nd year WR. Please, what have Edwards and Williams done again? Checkdown Johnson can't use Troy's talent, speed.
3) Johnson has done a fine job returning.
4) McMullen isn't bad for a #5 WR
5) Agree, he is a solid backup, but cannot start in the NFL anymore
6) Again, a first day pick, in his 2nd year, give him time, we aren't going anywhere anyways. He has improved, but I would be for signing a RT in free agency.

BTW, we can't afford to cut Smoot.

thanks you!
Fred Smoot is much better than we fans give him credit for.
He had a couple of bad games, now everytime something goes wrong, we blame it on him.
I overcooked those pancakes, damnit, it must be fred smoot's fault.

singersp
11-06-2006, 06:33 AM
"TMAC604" wrote:

??? Of course M-Rob was a non-factor in the past two weeks. He was injured & wasn't even on the active roster. He has only played in 5 of the games so far.

digital420
11-06-2006, 09:36 AM
i still can't understand so many people's blind hate for smoot.

after talkin to my dad 30 min after the game even HE had to admit that smoot is playing decent game now.

is he worth all the money we pay him.. maybe not.. but is he worth bootin off the team?
!#$#! no!!

he's a solid player, and he's done the job that's bein asked of him. he can't just go out and say.. I feel like doing this now..
no, he plays in a system. has his assignments in that system, and must work within that system.

I didn't see any big plays go his way.. nor did i see any problems rise outta his position. he missed a tackle on Gore, but he delayed him enouf that others got there. THAT is part of his job, u can't bring him down for some reason.. delay him and get help!!

D wise.. i didn't see any real bad plays.. we stopped them in sure scoring positions. they had the ball from, fumbles 2x, int, and a sneaky on side kick. and we stopped them from scoring any td's!!

I wish we woulda gotten more sacks, but ok i can live with the D's game.

now the O..

U can't just demp T.will.. he's a top 10 1st rounder, there's lots of them that havn't panned out the way everyone wants, but he's def a player we need on this team.

last year he had a fraction of the drops he has this year, maybe it's preasure, maybe it's timing, maybe it's that he's wackin it to much and getting blured vision..

who knows..

I saw T.t drop some as well, but don't see people chanting drop him, ok he's not the #1.. he's still getting more tosses then T.will is per game.

look at the games were he has 4 or more passes to whim. he's actually racking up decent number in there.
I believe he's in a funk.. whatever its gonna take to get him out is the OC's responsibility.. get the WR coach working with him day and nite.. keep him practicing until he can't raise his arms.

then when it's game time.. he'll be ready!!

DiTiGiTaL

Mr. Purple
11-06-2006, 09:59 AM
"singersp" wrote:

I agree 100%, Smoot has played above average the past two games.You see him not make 1 tackle here or there.Man there are alot of CBs missing tackles here or there you dont see.Smoot has really pulled his weight latley.

NodakPaul
11-06-2006, 10:21 AM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

I agree 100%, Smoot has played above average the past two games.You see him not make 1 tackle here or there.Man there are alot of CBs missing tackles here or there you dont see.Smoot has really pulled his weight latley.

Yup.
He did have one crappy tackle against Gore... but that is it.
He really has had two solid games.
One against a superbowl contender.
But it doesn't matter anymore.
There are so many people that blindly hate Smoot because ti is the fashionable thing to do that he will never win his way back into the hearts of the fans. Baaaaaa.
(Note: there are some people who hate Smoot for very good reason.
I don't have a problem with that.
I just hate the people who jump on the I hate Smoot bandwagon because they heard their brother's friend's uncle say he hated Smoot, and since he knows football, he must be right...)

He could be possible trade material.
He is a good CB, but not outstanding, and it is possible we could work it to improve our secondary in the offseason.

JDogg926
11-06-2006, 10:26 AM
I think we need to get rid of TWill, TTaylor, and Smoot.
The only thing is Smoot would be hard to replace.
The missed tackle, was a fundamental mistake (wrap the guy up Fred), on a crucial 3rd down.
He's not terrible, but he's extremely over-rated.
TWill has had too many opportunities to prove his worth, and he continues to underachieve.
The only problem with cutting him, is I have a feeling if we do that, he'll go somewhere else, and all of a sudden start hanging onto the ball and turn into a superstar.
Taylor's hands aren't much better than TWIll's and he is a career underachiever.
The guy I'd like to see get some more chances is McMullen, he seems to at least catch the ball when they throw to him.

FreakinVikingsBaby
11-06-2006, 10:36 AM
We don't need to get rid of anybody right now. BJ is a reliable backup, but should not be starting. I haven't really seen T-Jack, but doubt he is ready to make a superbowl run in his rookie year. T-Will is dropping passes-he needs to be worked on not cut. He is a top 10 2nd yr reciever. he's not Moss, sorry. Look at Braylon Edwards-hasn't done much more. In time T-Will will start hanging on. Honestly, I don't think the problems are the players. Of course I wish we had Peyton Manning for qb and Moss back at reciever, but the main problem I see is the offensive game plan. Throw in some flea-flickers and long bombs. Also-use some screens! I haven't seen barely any screens. We also need to get the ball to Wiggins. BTW, everyone is giving T-will crap about that last drop & I know there have been others, but that drop early on by Johnson was rediculous. He was in front of the corner and it hit him in the gut. I can understand why BJ isn't throwing deep more often.

tb04512
11-06-2006, 11:14 AM
"FreakinVikingsBaby" wrote:

We don't need to get rid of anybody right now. BJ is a reliable backup, but should not be starting. I haven't really seen T-Jack, but doubt he is ready to make a superbowl run in his rookie year. T-Will is dropping passes-he needs to be worked on not cut. He is a top 10 2nd yr reciever. he's not Moss, sorry. Look at Braylon Edwards-hasn't done much more. In time T-Will will start hanging on. Honestly, I don't think the problems are the players. Of course I wish we had Peyton Manning for qb and Moss back at reciever, but the main problem I see is the offensive game plan. Throw in some flea-flickers and long bombs. Also-use some screens! I haven't seen barely any screens. We also need to get the ball to Wiggins. BTW, everyone is giving T-will crap about that last drop & I know there have been others, but that drop early on by Johnson was rediculous. He was in front of the corner and it hit him in the gut. I can understand why BJ isn't throwing deep more often.

the drop by johnson anyone woulda dropped i mean brad threw it so short he had to sit and wait for a few seconds for it, plenty of time for a db to lay the smack down on you.. i still think he shoulda caught it but the pass coulda been better.. i agree give wiggins the ball.. and also agree run screens they are blitzing like crazy throw em off throw a screen.... some one else said on this board childress needs to turn frompage 1 in the playbook and move on to something else

JDogg926
11-06-2006, 12:28 PM

On Williamson, statistically yes Braylon Edwards hasn't done much more, but Braylon Edwards was injured for half of last year, and he hasn't had nearly as many opportunities as Williamson.
I watch the Browns more than anyone other than the Vikings, and I've seen Edwards play several times, I haven't seen him drop any easy passes, and I've seen him catch several in traffic and several long jump balls.

Bethel's drop was pitiful, too.
Between Williamson, Taylor, and Johnson, we're sure to lead the league in dropped passes this year.
The thing about Williamson's that was so bad, is he was completely wide open, and this was his big chance to atone for some of his mistakes, and he blew it.
I seriously think, we should consider playing Mewelde Moore at WR.
We at least know he can catch the ball.

As for screen plays, I can think of at least 3 or 4 we ran yesterday off the top of my head, one of which was a 60 yard TD that called back for a penalty by TTaylor that really didn't affect the play, considering he'd already been blocked and Chester was already around him.
The other ones were stopped for little, no, or negative yards.

Garland Greene
11-06-2006, 12:55 PM
"baumy300" wrote:

I agree with your list 110% bro.

Funny how professional coaches and GM's can't see this &*%$!!!!!!!

I think they do but that is why they are the coaches and GM and you are not. I guess I have yet to understand the hatred of Smoot.
For once in how many years we have a defense that is not a problem for this team. The 49ers are exactly the team in the past that would of lit our defense up for 400 plus yards and 30 points

olson_10
11-06-2006, 12:58 PM
lol how does anyone blame smoot when we allowed 9 points yesterday?..flat out, this team wont beat anybody only putting up 3 points ..the defense had nothing on earth to do with yesterdays loss..id like to keep this defense intact, and just add some more talent to it rather than take anyone out of it..the defense gives the offense 4-5 chances to win the game, but they dont step up and put any points on the board..the offense needs to be torn apart and re-done, not the defense

olson_10
11-06-2006, 01:02 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Yup.
He did have one crappy tackle against Gore... but that is it.
He really has had two solid games.
One against a superbowl contender.
But it doesn't matter anymore.
There are so many people that blindly hate Smoot because ti is the fashionable thing to do that he will never win his way back into the hearts of the fans. Baaaaaa.
(Note: there are some people who hate Smoot for very good reason.
I don't have a problem with that.
I just hate the people who jump on the I hate Smoot bandwagon because they heard their brother's friend's uncle say he hated Smoot, and since he knows football, he must be right...)

He could be possible trade material.
He is a good CB, but not outstanding, and it is possible we could work it to improve our secondary in the offseason.

agreed..i also think hes better than brian williams

PurpleRide
11-06-2006, 01:34 PM

Do you really think johnson can give this team a SB run?
Look at some unknown players who as rookies made an impact.
Tom Brady would be my favorite, what was he in college?
Oh yeah a back-up, what did he do midseason to a struggling team??? oh yeah sparked a nice win streak, what happend in the SB??? oh yeah he won the MVP.
what round was he drafted??? oh yeah 6th!!!
How can anyone say T-jack will be a step down from the worthless crap we have right now running the show?
I hope its not the reason why some fans didnt think warren moon, randell cunningham, or daunte cullpepper could not win the important one for us.
The only chance we have a chance to do anything this year is to drop johnson, he cannot win games, he turns the ball over more than DC(thats bad) we cannot hit a reciever past 15 yards.
Johnson sucks, I knew it before the season and people were on my case.
What I said before the season started are true, everything i said is true.
Its too bad people think smoots the problem, then stand up for johnson.
Smoot has YET to lose a game for the vikings this year, IN FACT the only game smoot can get any blame for losing since he put on the purple, was the carolina game.
Smoot is a solid player, he is better than the majority of the DB's in the NFL right now, is he top 10?
No, is he better than anyone on GB, DET, STL, SEA, NYG,NYJ, etc..... yes.
Windfield i believe has also given up more TD's this year, should we banish him as well?
Smoot and windfield are one of the best DB tandems in the NFL right now, hopefully c-griff can move into the nickle roll soon.

V4L
11-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Positions to look into this offseason..

WR
RG
CB
RT

If we can add a quality starter with these positions it should help

Also look at getting an offensive coordinator.. If Bevell has anything to do with the horrible playcalling that is.. I'm not sure but I heard Bevell comes up with the gameplan and Chilldress goes according to that?

Either way we need something to change there

One Love

Prophet
11-06-2006, 01:46 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

...How can anyone say T-jack will be a step down from the worthless crap we have right now running the show?

I challenge the president of the BJ fan club to find one post where someone said TJ would be a step down.
The people that think he shouldn't play think he's not ready.
Why?
Because the coaching staff has decided this and I have a a hell of a lot more confidence in them then I do in a bunch of video-game playing fans that are experts because they played second string cornerback on some hodunk HS football team.

I hope its not the reason why some fans didnt think warren moon, randell cunningham, or daunte cullpepper could not win the important one for us.

You are such a whiner.
You pull stuff out of your ass like this that has no bearing in truth.
If you want to play the race card you damn well better have proof.
If there was a bigot that was known on this site they would be banned faster than you can say, "I am the President of the Brad Johnson Fan Club"

The only chance we have a chance to do anything this year is to drop johnson, he cannot win games, he turns the ball over more than DC(thats bad) we cannot hit a reciever past 15 yards.
Johnson sucks,

Your hate blinds your judgement.
There were nicely thrown balls on the field that a 6 yr old could have caught and our receivers didn't.
One of BJs turnovers was when he was blindsided and one was a tipped ball.
Do I think he's a saviour or a hero?
Hell no, just call a spade a spade.

I knew it before the season and people were on my case.

That statement is such a facade that it is laughable.
Your hate for BJ permeates your every post.
It makes it so you can't even see the game.
Look back at your post record and that statement will be proven false faster than I wrote this sentence.

Something needs to be done on the O.
There are many threads discussing this,

FreakinVikingsBaby
11-06-2006, 01:56 PM
[/quote]

Windfield i believe has also given up more TD's this year, should we banish him as well?
Smoot and windfield are one of the best DB tandems in the NFL right now, hopefully c-griff can move into the nickle roll soon.

[/quote]

Detroit has Dre Bly-he's better

Del Rio
11-06-2006, 01:59 PM
I don't think your going to see Smoot leave. He has been playing better football. I will say this making a tackle is not above and beyond it is to be expected. I wouldn't be willing to tag a metal on him for making a few stops, but the guy does seem to be making the stops and that is a good thing. I do not think he is better the Brian Williams and he has never been IMO.

I definately wouldn't ship him off at the end of the season.

Artis Hicks I would shitcan.

FreakinVikingsBaby
11-06-2006, 02:05 PM
wutever happened to that dude who was with us for like forever and retired. I feel bad about forgetting his name cuz he was with us and only us and showed a lot of uncommon loyalty compared to the rest of the NFL. Maybe we should take him outta retirement. I know he was from a different country.

Del Rio
11-06-2006, 02:13 PM
David Dixon?

I have no idea what position did he play?

midgensa
11-06-2006, 02:22 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

Do you really think johnson can give this team a SB run?
Look at some unknown players who as rookies made an impact.
Tom Brady would be my favorite, what was he in college?
Oh yeah a back-up, what did he do midseason to a struggling team??? oh yeah sparked a nice win streak, what happend in the SB??? oh yeah he won the MVP.
what round was he drafted??? oh yeah 6th!!!
How can anyone say T-jack will be a step down from the worthless crap we have right now running the show?
Johnson sucks, I knew it before the season and people were on my case.
Its too bad people think smoots the problem, then stand up for johnson.
Smoot has YET to lose a game for the vikings this year, IN FACT the only game smoot can get any blame for losing since he put on the purple, was the carolina game.
Smoot is a solid player, he is better than the majority of the DB's in the NFL right now, is he top 10?

First off ... you lost all credibility right off the bat in this post and just kept sh!tting it away throughout.
Brady DID NOT WIN AS A ROOKIE you dumb a$$. Brady was in his second year after watching from the sidelines. I am not even all that against brining in Tarvaris, but if your only argument for it is based on Tom Brady winning as a rookie then you have NO ARGUMENT, because Brady threw 3 passes for 6 total yards as a rookie jacka$$.
Your allegations of racism because people don't want to switch is also an absolute joke. The reason people said Moon, Randall Cunningham and Culpepper (who is Cullpepper and Randell anyways?) could not win the big one is BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T ... completely evidenced by the fact that THEY DIDN'T.
Smoot is not a good DB right now, though he seems to be getting back to normal. He is DEFINITELY overpaid. None-the-less, on the teams you named players that are better than Smoot right now include, Dre Bly, Marcus Trufant, Sam Madison, and Andre Dyson. And by the way ... nobody named Windfield even plays on this team. How can you expect your posts to have any ability to sway when you are uninformed and cannot even spell people's names correctly? Typos welcome ... complete ignorance is not.

UndisputedVike
11-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Hmm, you know I saw Champ Bailey miss some tackles yesterday, I think Denver should cut him. Would everyone just shut up about Smoot we aren't going to release him and if you haven't noticed all the deep balls and TD's have been on Winfield's side or over the middle. This is unbelieveable even when the loss isn't on Smoot everyone still blames him.

Yet when our other CB's screw up and allow a TD nobody calls for they're head, nothing but abunch of hatred filled biased bashes against a guy who isn't the one to blame and is only doing what is told of him, grow up.

Del Rio
11-06-2006, 03:01 PM
"UndisputedVike" wrote:

Hmm, you know I saw Champ Bailey miss some tackles yesterday, I think Denver should cut him. Would everyone just shut up about Smoot we aren't going to release him and if you haven't noticed all the deep balls and TD's have been on Winfield's side or over the middle. This is unbelieveable even when the loss isn't on Smoot everyone still blames him.

Yet when our other CB's screw up and allow a TD nobody calls for they're head, nothing but abunch of hatred filled biased bashes against a guy who isn't the one to blame and is only doing what is told of him, grow up.

I would be careful with telling people to shut up. How many interceptions did Champ Bailey have yesterday.

NodakPaul
11-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Did he seriously play the race card in his arguments for starting TJ?
I guess when you can no longer rely on facts you have to start making shit up...

Del Rio
11-06-2006, 03:03 PM
Yeah Nodak, we all know Childress is racist huh? LOL He did pull that card.

How many of our players are white? Like 8 lol. In fact if I was a racist I know my favorite place to hang out would be professional sports.

Comon.

UndisputedVike
11-06-2006, 03:04 PM
"Del" wrote:

"UndisputedVike" wrote:

I would be careful with telling people to shut up. How many interceptions did Champ Bailey have yesterday.

I'm just sick of hearing the same thing over and over, all the imte it's always on Smoot, no matter what. Yeah I know he had a few INT's I was just saying, if a corner were to be released because of missed tackles then Champ Bailey might have been released despite what he did.

DPep11
11-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Get rid of BJ, and pick up Byron Leftwich from the Jags.

davike
11-06-2006, 03:08 PM
"UndisputedVike" wrote:

im not crazy about smoot but i don't dislike him, when he is on his game he can be a great player and he has been doing alot better lately. but thats true, alot of ppl do blame smoot for everything, and that isn't right. but as far as winfield goes, he has been the most consistent player on the defensive side of the ball, he never has an off year. he has got burned a couple times but not much. i am a winfield fan but i do admit he does make some mistakes. but he is rarely caught out of position and he always seems to come up and make a big play. but im not going to bad mouth anyone on our defense right now, even some of our worse players on defense are playing above average football. we have to much to worry about on the offensive side of the ball. but of course everyone knows all we need to do is start tavaris jackson and our offense will magically come to life ::)

davike
11-06-2006, 03:11 PM
"DPep11" wrote:

yeah cuz they would die to trade leftwich for johnson....hmmm i don't think that is going to happen. mabe they might trade him for our first round draft pick for the next 5 years.

DPep11
11-06-2006, 03:14 PM
"davike" wrote:

"DPep11" wrote:

yeah cuz they would die to trade leftwich for johnson....hmmm i don't think that is going to happen. mabe they might trade him for our first round draft pick for the next 5 years.

Did I ever say Trade Brad Johnson....? Hmmm try not to assume. Drop BJ, and either trade for Leftwich or hope he gets cut cause he doesn't want to be there.

davike
11-06-2006, 03:55 PM
"DPep11" wrote:

"davike" wrote:

"DPep11" wrote:

Did I ever say Trade Brad Johnson....? Hmmm try not to assume. Drop BJ, and either trade for Leftwich or hope he gets cut cause he doesn't want to be there.

my apologies, but the chances of that happening are very slim.

ultravikingfan
11-06-2006, 05:25 PM
Smoot has been playing better.
In the first quarter he dumped one of their WR's right on their butt.

The only knock I saw was when he had the angle in the open field, he put he head down and royally whiffed.
I see him with his head down a lot.
As anybody who has ever coached football (like me and Del) we can tell you flat out that we preach until our face turns blue that you MUST keep your head up.
Whether you are blocking, running, and tackling....you MUST keep your head up.
And odds are that Fred knows this more than anybody.

Other than that, he is doing better.
I will not put any blame on his shoulders for the NE game.
I put it all on the defense as a whole.

singersp
11-06-2006, 08:17 PM

wutever happened to that dude who was with us for like forever and retired. I feel bad about forgetting his name cuz he was with us and only us and showed a lot of uncommon loyalty compared to the rest of the NFL. Maybe we should take him outta retirement. I know he was from a different country.

"Del" wrote:

David Dixon?

I have no idea what position did he play?

Dixon was an assistant coach on a high school team last year working for 5 million jelly beans. He was out of shape last year when the thought of bringing him back was brought up, but Tice asked him & Dixon turned it down.

I'm sure he's in no condition to play football. Especially after eating all those jelly beans.

ItalianStallion
11-06-2006, 08:22 PM
"Webby" wrote:

I dunno Webby, getting rid of Moss screwed our offense over pretty good.

Prophet
11-06-2006, 08:32 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"Webby" wrote:

Thank God.
The new team is being built and the high flying offense that went nowhere is also gone.
It's a team game.

olson_10
11-06-2006, 08:44 PM
"DPep11" wrote:

"davike" wrote:

"DPep11" wrote:

if hes openly available in the offseason, id give up a 1st or 2nd for him..throw williamson in on the deal as well..i can see this happening (leftwich being available, not us trading for him in particular) since it looks like garrard is gonna take the job and run with it..its too early to say whether or not its a sure thing, but the QB trade market just got a whole lot more attractive yesterday

olson_10
11-06-2006, 08:48 PM
"Acumen" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"Webby" wrote:

Thank God.
The new team is being built and the high flying offense that went nowhere is also gone.
It's a team game.

it went nowhere without a defense like the one we have now..those days are gone, but imagine this defense playing opposite to that offense..all we have to show for that trade is the teams worst receiver and a MLB thats sitting out..my point in all of that is that WE NEED AN OFFENSE ASAP!!

Prophet
11-06-2006, 08:50 PM
"olson_10" wrote:

"Acumen" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"Webby" wrote:

Thank God.
It's a team game.

it went nowhere without a defense like the one we have now..those days are gone, but imagine this defense playing opposite to that offense..all we have to show for that trade is the teams worst receiver and a MLB thats sitting out..my point in all of that is that WE NEED AN OFFENSE ASAP!!

It is not as far away as the Chicken Littles think.
If TJ develops into the QB that we think he has the potential to develop into and with a few problems fixed on the O it will happen....scoring enough points to win anyway.

CCthebest
11-06-2006, 09:01 PM
I saw Smoot miss 2 tackles. 1 he missed entirely, the second he did a bad job of tackling. Even though i really dislike the guy, I think hes doing better. And thank god he finally shut up.

ItalianStallion
11-06-2006, 09:42 PM
"Acumen" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"Webby" wrote:

Thank God.
It's a team game.

It is a team game, and not all of the team is producing.
Say what you want about Moss, at least he produced on the field, which is more than we can say regarding the majority of our offensive players.
When only half of your team is competent, whether offense or defense...you're never going to do much better than .500.

Purple Floyd
11-07-2006, 11:09 AM
It seems to me that the coaches on the offensive side of the ball are the ones who need to be scrutinized more. I am not sure if they lack the ability to adjust their schemes after the initial group of plays or whether they are not putting their people in the right positions on the field, but if they cannot get the offense going against San Fran, they need to change some things.

singersp
11-07-2006, 08:29 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

I saw Smoot miss 2 tackles. 1 he missed entirely, the second he did a bad job of tackling. Even though i really dislike the guy, I think hes doing better. And thank god he finally shut up.

Fred Smoot is the 3rd leading tackler on out team.

ultravikingfan
11-07-2006, 08:47 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"CCthebest" wrote:

Yah, the one he royally whiffed on.
He put his head down.
Big no-no there.

But, when a WR jump to make the catch (which he missed) Smoot dumped him hard!

singersp
11-07-2006, 09:09 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"CCthebest" wrote:

Yah, the one he royally whiffed on.
He put his head down.
Big no-no there.

But, when a WR jump to make the catch (which he missed) Smoot dumped him hard!

Question in my mind is why aren't the coaches working with him to teach him how to tackle correctly, better & to keep his head up?

A lot of our coaches come from the college ranks & it's something they have taught many a young athelete.

Or are they & he still continues to do it his way?

Purplemania
11-07-2006, 09:46 PM
There's no way we will cut Smoot or Troy because of the caphit we'd have to take.

I like our players, I just think we have to add more talented players. Marcus Johnson is too talented to be cut, he could be a valeuable guy off the bench next year. If we cut Brad Johnson we will be stuck with Bollinger as the expereienced QB going into the season.....keep him unless we find another legit veteran QB.

Marcus Robinson is our most consistant reciever but unless he takes a paycut I don't see him returning. Same goes for Kliensasser too. Matt Birk himself is commanding a huge chunk of money...Birk hasn't been the same since returning from his injury.

singersp
11-07-2006, 09:51 PM
"Purplemania" wrote:

If we cut Brad Johnson we will be stuck with Bollinger as the expereienced QB going into the season.....keep him unless we find another legit veteran QB.

I said it all FA long. The Vikings needed to sign another veteran to back up Brad. One by one they all got plucked from the market.

The problem was, we would have had to pay that QB more than what are starting QB was making to get him to sign.

tampaviking
11-07-2006, 10:29 PM
i don't know if he's a FA but i wouldn't mind having gus ferrote back. even when he was on the sidelines he was in the game. you never saw him without headphones on. maybe he'll be a good coach one day or he was listening to music. we should have kept him anyway

dsharp
11-07-2006, 11:30 PM
I said it all FA long. The Vikings needed to sign another veteran to back up Brad. One by one they all got plucked from the market.

I have a feeling that Jake Plummer will be a Viking next year

midgensa
11-08-2006, 12:05 AM
"dsharp" wrote:

I am probably in the large minority that would like to see Plummer in purple

happy camper
11-08-2006, 12:09 AM
"midgensa" wrote:

"dsharp" wrote:

theres alot of people that would like to see plummer in purple.

too bad they're all broncos fans.

ItalianStallion
11-08-2006, 12:17 AM
"happy" wrote:

"midgensa" wrote:

"dsharp" wrote:

theres alot of people that would like to see plummer in purple.

too bad they're all broncos fans.

Well, he's better than what we have...

CCthebest
11-08-2006, 01:04 AM
I mentioned in live chat that Plummer might be here next year. He isnt perfect but better then Brooks, and is better then BJ right now. I keep hoping BJ will have a break out game, and stoke everyone on the offsnse. Hmm maybe against the pack

HornedHat
11-08-2006, 01:17 AM
I'd rather have Schaub than Plummer. Schaub is free next year.

CCthebest
11-08-2006, 12:13 PM
We should havee Tomlin mold TWill into a CB. Speed, not afraid of hits, and can jump.

ItalianStallion
11-08-2006, 01:05 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

We should havee Tomlin mold TWill into a CB. Speed, not afraid of hits, and can jump.

Sure lets tack on another 3 years on to the development of Troy Williamson

Vikingryche
11-08-2006, 01:40 PM
Drop Troy Williamson LOL are you guys idiots. He is not at this point in his career a no 1 receiver.
Fred Smoot come on we have the best defense we have had in many years, do you guys think that Smoots missed tackle cost us the game LOL..
We only scored 3 points, that cost us the game.. Who in here are real Viking fans every week gotta put the blame on someone when we lose..
Our whole offense is struggling, we have a WC offense, not the easiest offense to learn in 1 camp, preseason and 8 games.. Off the top of my head I cant think of too many teams that were successful in first year of runnin WC offense..
How many years did it take the seahawks, eagles, packers.
Troy Williamson is not Randy Moss, I think that every receiver we will ever have will be unfairly measured by Moss standards.. We were spoiled by his impressive start in the NFL.
Speaking of dropped passes, how many of you like Terrell Owens if memory serves me right he is leading the league in that catagory, or right up there. I suppose he sucks too LOL !!!!
Go Vikes
Oh yeah also maybe we shouldnt have let Burleson go to the Seachickens this past offseason.. IMHO

Prophet
11-08-2006, 03:00 PM
"Vikingryche" wrote:

Drop Troy Williamson LOL are you guys idiots. ...

Click here (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=150&topic=23378.0) for your answer.

Gift
11-08-2006, 03:59 PM
"Vikingryche" wrote:

Drop Troy Williamson LOL are you guys idiots.
They must be, they don't agree with you. ::)

"Vikingryche" wrote:

Fred Smoot come on we have the best defense we have had in many years, do you guys think that Smoots missed tackle cost us the game LOL.. 1 word, "b-will". Oops, our bad.

"Vikingryche" wrote:

Off the top of my head I cant think of too many teams that were successful in first year of runnin WC offense..
How many years did it take the seahawks, eagles, packers. WCO is requirs "playmakers", something the vikes don't have.
Look how these teams perform when the playmakers are hurt or leave in the off season.
Getting the guy the ball short is fine if the guy can actually do something when he has it, most our guys can just fall down(or drop it).
WCO sucks.

"Vikingryche" wrote:

peaking of dropped passes, how many of you like Terrell Owens if memory serves me right he is leading the league in that catagory, or right up there. I suppose he sucks too LOL !!!! Yes he does suck, loses
them games, yells at teammates, challenges coachs & genrally destroys any team unity.
Sounds like "suck" to me.

"Vikingryche" wrote:

Go Vikes
Oh yeah also maybe we shouldnt have let Burleson go to the Seachickens this past offseason.. IMHOOf course, we should have paid 49mil for a no impact player.
Real good.

davike
11-08-2006, 05:00 PM
"Acumen" wrote:

"Vikingryche" wrote:

Drop Troy Williamson LOL are you guys idiots. ...

Click here (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=150&topic=23378.0) for your answer.

that prophet sure was a smart guy!!! to bad he isn't around anymore. ;) :P