PDA

View Full Version : Delay of Game

Webby
11-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Can anyone explain to me what the hell that was??
I didn't follow as I was bashing someone in chat after he has had over 2 dozen complaints logged against him in a week or so.

reset clock, what?
They get to rekick??

Mr Anderson
11-05-2006, 08:09 PM
The clock was reset for "some reason".

I thought everyone would realize by now, but every official in the NFL hates the Vikings for no good reason. Any "controversial" call WILL go against us every time.

From the NFL Rulebook "Time between plays will be 40 seconds from the end of a given play until the snap of the ball for the next play, or a 25-second interval after certain administrative stoppages and game delays."

They took their 40 seconds and should have been penalized, it doesn't matter what the clock was reset to, if you take longer than you are allowed you should be penalized your 5 yards. No questions asked, they took to much time, they should have been penalized.

Everyone knows if that were us kicking there we would have been pushed back the five.

Webby
11-05-2006, 08:15 PM
okay, conspiracy theories aside, my question stands.
Anyone??
What clock was reset?
Didn't the 40 second clock hit zero anyway, so who cares?

Man I feel lost on that one.
Usually I understand every call.

Mr Anderson
11-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Yes, the 40 second clock hit zero. But then went to 25 for some odd reason. They took more than the time alotted.

So it was delay of game, but they weren't penalized. I included that in my conspiracy theory..... which isn't much of a theory because it is 100% true.

BadlandsVikings
11-05-2006, 08:19 PM
"Webby" wrote:

okay, conspiracy theories aside, my question stands.

Anyone??
What clock was reset?
Didn't the 40 second clock hit zero anyway, so who cares?

Man I feel lost on that one.
Usually I understand every call.

Home cooking, time keeper fell asleep.

BrooksBollingerForQB
11-05-2006, 08:22 PM
I hate refrees period, but for once, I think the refs made a good call. Obviously there was some confusion, and had it been the vikings, I think we'd want the benefit of the doubt.

verovike
11-05-2006, 08:30 PM
I don't think that the play clock had actually expired.
I think that the clock malfunctioned, and reset by itself.
Ed H. thought that the play clock had expired, and blew the play dead.
The down had to be replayed, by rule, as an inadvertant whistle by an official.
The whole incident really could have been a blow against the 49ers...although,it would have made up for the personal foul call that put them in FG position in the first place.

Freya
11-05-2006, 08:32 PM
We were wondering about that as well. Odd call for sure. I can't wait to see if it makes the ref segment on Total Access.

BadlandsVikings
11-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Clock? There is no clock.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/32/Hochuli_TD_NFCChamp2005-06.jpg

singersp
11-06-2006, 07:17 AM
Cuckoo clock winds up game (http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_4610132)

Nedney's retry on field goal is successful after play clock mysteriously resets

By Daniel Brown, MEDIANEWS STAFF
Article Last Updated:11/06/2006 02:38:55 AM PST

..............The clock had mysteriously reset, fooling the 49ers into thinking they still had time to get off the play.

This is how head referee Ed Hoculi put it after the game:

"The back judge who is responsible for the play clock watched it, it got to 2 seconds, and then it went back up to 25 seconds. The back judge continued to count it the rest of the way down because he knew I had not reset the clock. When it hit zero, he went ahead and threw the flag for delay of game and then came in and explained that to me.

"In my opinion, because there was time on the play clock, it had been inadvertently reset. I couldn't charge the delay of game because as far as they realized ... there had been time on the clock."

The one-word translation: Do-over.

singersp
11-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Vikings: Clock shenanigans benefit 49ers (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/790043.html)

San Francisco got extra time and ducked a delay- of-game penalty before converting a field goal in the fourthquarter.

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
Last update: November 05, 2006 – 11:02 PM

... Childress engaged in a heated argument with referee Ed Hochuli after the ruling, which nullified a delay-of-game penalty against the 49ers in the fourth quarter.

... "It seemed to me to be a strategy to use at home to avoid a delay-of-game penalty," Childress said.

digital420
11-06-2006, 08:46 AM
there was no mystery to the clock reset..

there is a switch or button the control panel that says "Reset (insert name here) Timer"
they have one for each individual clock, as well as a master reset..

all u have to do is push the button..

They woulda gotten away with it had it not been for those !#%! kids..

DiGiTaL

Freya
11-06-2006, 09:07 AM
After a lengthy on-field discussion, Hochuli said in a rare subjective ruling that it was unfair to penalize the 49ers when their on-field resource was innaccurate.

"In my opinion," Hochuli told a pool reporter, "because there was time on the play clock, it had been inadvertently reset. I couldn't charge the delay of game on the offense because as far as they realized, they thought there was still time on the clock because they saw it reset and they didn't know that I hadn't reset it.

Ooooo. I hate it when the refs go "subjective" during games.

In one of the replays from behind the kicker you could see the clock. It only got my attention when it switched to 25. Did anyone else see that?

cajunvike
11-06-2006, 09:40 AM
In a seperate statement, Hochuli said:
"Besides, it was only the Vikings...it's not like it was a team that any of us refs root for...coupled with the fact that the old "whiskey bottle" incident is still fresh in our minds."

NodakPaul
11-06-2006, 09:48 AM
It was a good call by the refs.
The clock was screwed up, and the ref stopped the play before the snap so they could address it.
I think the back judge did a good job by counting down until the clock would have hit zero and then throwing the flag.
I also think the crew as a whole did a good job by working through the situation and determining that ti was a non-play.

I highly doubt that this was a ploy by the home field to give the 9ers extra time.
It could have just as easily worked against them if they missed the second kick.

singersp
11-06-2006, 07:49 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

In a seperate statement, Hochuli said:
"Besides, it was only the Vikings...it's not like it was a team that any of us refs root for...coupled with the fact that the old "whiskey bottle" incident is still fresh in our minds."

That and the squirting in the face with the water bottle by Moss.