PDA

View Full Version : Brad Johnson needs a little help

singersp
11-05-2006, 07:10 AM
Posted on Sun, Nov. 05, 2006

Johnson needs a little help (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/15926631.htm)

Vikings quarterback Brad Johnson is taking a beating.

cajunvike
11-05-2006, 10:39 AM
Brad just needs some YAC from his WRs...then he will be just fine!

singersp
11-05-2006, 10:59 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

What he needs to do is get the ball to the WR's & TE's over the first down marker. Our TE's aren't exactly fast.

We've done a lot of relying on YAC on 3rd downs & when he hits the checkdown guy & we've been coming up on the short end of the stick way to often.

6-KINGS
11-05-2006, 11:04 AM
He only needs them to CATCH the damn ball!

marcosMN
11-05-2006, 11:08 AM
He needs the play calling to be a bit less predictable.

Sometime today, on 3rd and long, there WILL be a 2 yd dump to MeMo...

Mark my words, but I hope I'm wrong.

ItalianStallion
11-05-2006, 11:08 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

It's hard to get YAC yards when the receiver has to catch the ball in front of the linebackers.

gregair13
11-05-2006, 12:41 PM
last week was bad. now we have the 49ers. it should be a field day

PurpleRide
11-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Childress needs to help johnson by putting back were he belongs, as the back-up

vikes09
11-05-2006, 01:49 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

Childress needs to help johnson by putting back were he belongs, as the back-up

so much for the president BJ fan club.

(thats Brad Johnson cajun ;D)

crazyB
11-05-2006, 02:03 PM
he has done well so far but as it's been said the vikings are becomeing too predictable now, that's what i think whent wrong last week they knew what was coming and got all ready for it.

8)
;D
:D

CCthebest
11-05-2006, 02:11 PM
He needs more TIME to throw the ball. You see how good Brady looked? Well he had a ton of time. Our Oline needs to step it up and give him time. WCO or not, he needs more time.

crazyB
11-05-2006, 02:18 PM
??? are you saying he just may be getting too old to keep up or that if any other qb was with our Oline would need more time?..

8)
;D

Freya
11-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Gooooooooooooo Big J!!!!!!!!!!!

Skol Vikings!

sdvikefan
11-05-2006, 05:45 PM
He definately needs some help from Troy...Brad is an accurate QB who makes smart throws (except for last Monday) and when his WRs drop the ball in key 3rd down situations, what can he do?
It's on them.
Troy needs to play like a 1st round draft pick and get his damn head in the game.

BadlandsVikings
11-05-2006, 06:00 PM
He needs a huge confidence boost right now, and getting the int doen't help.

singersp
11-05-2006, 06:24 PM
"WVV" wrote:

He needs a huge confidence boost right now, and getting the int doen't help.

Neither did the fumble.

i_bleed_purple
11-05-2006, 06:27 PM
its official, bench him.
they're in scoring range and he fumbles

BBQ Platypus
11-05-2006, 07:20 PM
I'd say that Brad only needs two things:

1) Better receivers.
You know, ones who won't drop the ball.
2) Directions on how to get his wrinkly old @$$ back home.
It's pretty clear to me - he's over the hill, and even if he isn't, he sure as hell hasn't been producing.
Sure, he's a nice guy, but he should retire and spend some time with his family.
It would be the best thing he's done for this team all year.

vik1
11-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Maybe if he didnt have defenders in his face and hitting him everytime he throws
He might not fumble because his arm wont be hit!
This is the most overpaid O line Ive ever seen, they cant pass block for $hit!

verovike
11-05-2006, 07:41 PM
I think that Brad can see the plays...he just does not have the physical ability to make it happen.
I would never question his heart or desire to win, but in a move very similar to the one in Dallas, a more mobile QB would give us a better chance to win...just my opinion.

threepete21
11-05-2006, 07:46 PM
What does everyone think the chances of brad being benched are, Childress seems to stick to his boys, hence why williamson was in there on the third down play

williamsontothebench
11-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Williamson and Johnson need to be benched for the rest of the season!
Neither one is doing anything to lead there to down field and better yet scoring a td.
Williamson is a BUST!
I am very upset with the club.
To lose to San Fran is like a loss to the Cardinals.
When will the passing game open up?
When will Childress be fired!??
When will we get a offensive guru to start calling the plays!

Untill those issues are fixed I don't expect this team to win a game for the rest of the season.
GO out and sign a damn wr that can catch the ball.
Improve the offensive line. Put in Jackson at qb.
Quit the stalling and put him in now!

BBQ Platypus
11-05-2006, 07:56 PM
"vik1" wrote:

Maybe if he didnt have defenders in his face and hitting him everytime he throws
He might not fumble because his arm wont be hit!
This is the most overpaid O line Ive ever seen, they cant pass block for $hit!

::) Please.
They were blitzing...namely because we were always using 2 WR packages.
The O-Line did all they could do with what few receiving options they had.
Brad just stood there and did nothing.
He needs to do what everybody says he can do...GET RID OF THE BALL!!!

Aberration
11-05-2006, 08:02 PM
what he really needs to do is to stop throwing bad balls to end the game... who throws into good double coverage to a short wr on 4th and 7... he can't even claim he had "single coverage and took a shot" like he has in the past

williamsontothebench
11-05-2006, 08:05 PM
no, what Brad needs to do is stop throwing the 2-4 yard pass!
If he could get the ball down field and a wr of ous could catch the ball the game would be different.

Williamson blows.. <---
He cant catch a pass period!

Taylor < ------ get the ball to him more.

C Taylor <-----
just give him some hole to run through.

Childress <---
Needs to be questioned on how bad of a play caller he is!

Webby
11-05-2006, 08:17 PM
"Aberration" wrote:

what he really needs to do is to stop throwing bad balls to end the game... who throws into good double coverage to a short wr on 4th and 7... he can't even claim he had "single coverage and took a shot" like he has in the past

Yes, I am sure he called that play all on his own.
Childress shrugged his shoulders and said, "Whatever you want, lovestud".

::)

SWAYZE74
11-05-2006, 09:05 PM
the league is figuring out that BJ is the new Bledsoe...word...

peace...

PurpleRide
11-05-2006, 09:07 PM
he needs help to the bench.

singersp
11-05-2006, 09:15 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

he needs help to the bench.

http://i1.ebayimg.com/04/i/08/77/7c/67_1.JPG

verovike
11-05-2006, 09:30 PM
"SWAYZE74" wrote:

peace...

No, Bledsoe still has a pretty good arm!

SWAYZE74
11-05-2006, 10:51 PM
"verovike" wrote:

"SWAYZE74" wrote:

peace...

No, Bledsoe still has a pretty good arm!

its hard to throw from the bench last i checked..hahha

peace...

Ltrey33
11-05-2006, 10:59 PM
Johnson does need help...that's for sure. He also needs to help himself.

The man needs to not throw INTs and not fumble the ball. 3 turnovers in one game and 6 in two is just plain bad. It's like we have Daunte at his worst out there right now. I don't understand it. Brad needs to take care of the ball, and he needs to get the ball out faster.

On top of that, the receivers need to help Brad! Williamson dropped two big catches today and it just doesn't seem like anyone is getting open down the field.

Prophet
11-05-2006, 11:13 PM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

The man needs to not throw INTs and not fumble the ball. 3 turnovers in one game and 6 in two is just plain bad. It's like we have Daunte at his worst out there right now. I don't understand it. Brad needs to take care of the ball, and he needs to get the ball out faster.

On top of that, the receivers need to help Brad! Williamson dropped two big catches today and it just doesn't seem like anyone is getting open down the field.

I agree that BJ needs to step it up....it's just as much, if not more, on the playcalling which is on Childress' shoulders.
Bevell is the 'silent' OC that is the equivalent of a practice squad coach...if there was such a thing.
The playcalling is similar to the QB situation...meaning there aren't any decent OCs available at this point of the season so we have to deal with what we have.
The QB situation is also a time-buying scheme where the interim QB is buying time for TJ to develop.
Bollinger may come into the mix, but my guess is that he will be worse than BJ.

BJ's three turnovers consisted of:

1. a blind-sided sack when Hutch was out of the game resulting in a fumble.
2. a late pass on a slant that was tipped up by the defender and intercepted
3. I can't remember this fumble, I think I missed it.

#1 and #2 are not BJ.
Just call a spade a spade.

The reality is that the QB situation and the play-calling situation are both pathetic.
There aren't many options right now.
We have to deal with what we have at this point in the season.

Another thing, this has been brought up countless times, but the folks that think the Vikings were going to tear the field up in the first year with new coaches and schemes are living in fantasy land.
No matter what side of the fence you sit on in most of these arguments most of us agree that the QB situation is pathetic, the play-calling is questionable, and the receivers are weak.
This results in an anemic offense and an easy to defend offense.
These issues are all addressable, especially in a longer time frame.

Any HC in the NFL should get three years to get their act together.
If you think after half a season everything should be in sync maybe you should just stick to video games, start with Pong and work your way up.

Disclaimer:
This is a general post not directed at any particular member.
If you are pissed off after reading it, then it is directed at you.
No, I won't lose any sleep over it.

t_13
11-05-2006, 11:21 PM
just throwing this one out there: JASON CARTER #11 ... will he help us any?

HornedHat
11-05-2006, 11:25 PM
Yes. I think it is time to activate Jason Carter. We gotta keep going with Brad, maybe Carter will help; however, WHY THE HELL CAN"T HE FIND WIGGINS?

Ltrey33
11-05-2006, 11:27 PM
"Acumen" wrote:

"Ltrey33" wrote:

I agree that BJ needs to step it up....it's just as much, if not more, on the playcalling which is on Childress' shoulders.
Bevell is the 'silent' OC that is the equivalent of a practice squad coach...if there was such a thing.
The playcalling is similar to the QB situation...meaning there aren't any decent OCs available at this point of the season so we have to deal with what we have.
The QB situation is also a time-buying scheme where the interim QB is buying time for TJ to develop.
Bollinger may come into the mix, but my guess is that he will be worse than BJ.

BJ's three turnovers consisted of:

1. a blind-sided sack when Hutch was out of the game resulting in a fumble.
2. a late pass on a slant that was tipped up by the defender and intercepted
3. I can't remember this fumble, I think I missed it.

#1 and #2 are not BJ.
Just call a spade a spade.

The reality is that the QB situation and the play-calling situation are both pathetic.
There aren't many options right now.
We have to deal with what we have at this point in the season.

Another thing, this has been brought up countless times, but the folks that think the Vikings were going to tear the field up in the first year with new coaches and schemes are living in fantasy land.
No matter what side of the fence you sit on in most of these arguments most of us agree that the QB situation is pathetic, the play-calling is questionable, and the receivers are weak.
This results in an anemic offense and an easy to defend offense.
These issues are all addressable, especially in a longer time frame.

If you think after half a season everything should be in sync maybe you should just stick to video games, start with Pong and work your way up.

Disclaimer:
This is a general post not directed at any particular member.
If you are pissed off after reading it, then it is directed at you.
No, I won't lose any sleep over it.

I agree with most of what you said, but I still think that Johnson shoulders a good portion of the blame for today's loss...but there are definately guys that shoulder much MORE of the blame than Brad.

The most depressing thing about this situation is that each of these unfortunate circumstances feeds off of one another, making things worse and worse and worse.

Brad is an average quarterback at this point. He has a less-than stellar arm and gets by on his decision making and poise, which have both been shaky as of late. This leads to fewer and fewer opportunities to make plays and sub-par quarterback play. I have been as vocal a supporter as anyone when it comes to Brad, but even I have faced the fact that he's not performing as well as we need him to.

Our receivers are ugly. They barely get open, and never down the field.

So our QB doesn't make as many plays as he should and our receivers suck, so we don't have as many playmaking opportunities. When we do have opportunities we drop the f-ing ball! We've had the chance to make plays, but damn we suck when it comes to capitalizing on things.

So our receivers suck and our quarterback isn't playing well and we don't make plays....that kind of puts the playcalling in a tough position. We can't do anything flashy, we can't stretch the field and we can't make plays. That leads to very vanilla, boring and predictable play calling.

Every problem we have is the function of another problem, and they're all feeding off one another. It's just an ugly situation.

Prophet
11-05-2006, 11:28 PM
"t_13" wrote:

just throwing this one out there: JASON CARTER #11 ... will he help us any?

Probably couldn't hurt us.
We're in such dire need of help at WR even an undrafted guy that was put on waivers last week and cleared waivers without one other team in the NFL grabbing him and put back onto our practice squad and now possibly back on the active roster....he could help us.
That is scary to me, but some even say he's the saviour.
I will wait and see, but I'm all for activating him at this point.

OnlyVikes
11-05-2006, 11:29 PM
"SWAYZE74" wrote:

Interesting point, I could agree with that........ :-[

Ltrey33
11-05-2006, 11:30 PM
I think this whole thing is just re-establishing balance in the universe. We wasted that high powered offense all of those years, so now we're wasting a great defense. It's all about the ying and the yang....

HornedHat
11-05-2006, 11:47 PM
Next year, my brothers, we will still have this defence, and it will be better. That means that the O needs attn, obviously. Draft and sign WRs. Get three, one might stick, and one is better than none. The biggest problem is that WRs don't usaully play as well as Rooks. That's why we have to get 3 at least. We also need a QB, but we won't be drafting one next year. The T-Jack plan was for him to sit two years. I can't take two years of Brad. I love him, but...I don't think he's able any longer. Can T-Jack learn enough by next September? I hope so. I still think we can make the playoffs this year, but that doesn't thrill me, if we can't win. I wanna see progress, so I can be excited this offseason, for next year.

baumy300
11-06-2006, 12:12 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

All of his yardage is YAC.

Thats because on 90% of the passes he hits Chester on a 2 yard dump and on the other 10% our WR's drop them.

zindulee
11-06-2006, 07:28 AM
Telling paragraph from a Strib article today:

"He's the quarterback, and that's why he'll stand up as a man and say, 'Hey, I'll take it,' " fullback Tony Richardson said. "But the guys on offense know it's not Brad. ... Obviously when you're the quarterback or whatever, he's the guy who has to take the brunt of it. But for me to stand here, there is no way in the world he deserves the brunt of this. There were opportunities out there. He got the ball to some guys, and we didn't make the plays."

Skol Vikes!

Purple Herring
11-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Brad had ONE bad game, against the Patriots. Rex Grossman's had two, but you don't hear a clamour for him to be benched.

Besides, who exactly would we play? Brooks Bollinger?!

Brad needs better play calling (which is FAR too predictable), Wide Receivers who can actually catch the ball and the over-paid offensive line to start earning their money on pass protection.

DoubleDown11
11-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Brad Johnson= Drew Bledsoe, time to bring in the young guys.

Our WR's do stink pretty sad, Bethel Johnson who was unemployed a month ago, looked like the best WR yesterday.

I don't know how any Viking's fan can put a positive spin on an offense that scored 3 points against one of the worse defenses in the NFL.

NodakPaul
11-06-2006, 10:01 AM
"Purple" wrote:

Brad had ONE bad game, against the Patriots. Rex Grossman's had two, but you don't hear a clamour for him to be benched.

Brad needs better play calling (which is FAR too predictable), Wide Receivers who can actually catch the ball and the over-paid offensive line to start earning their money on pass protection.

Brad had two bad games.
The pats and the 9ers.
Plus, the bears are 6-1 and we are 4-4.
Not a lot of people are going to call for a QB's head when their team has the best record in the NFC...

That being said, you are right when you say that the entire offense needs to step up, not just the QB.

JDogg926
11-06-2006, 10:13 AM
While Brad does really need help (i.e. receivers who can catch the damn ball, and a slightly better pass blocking line), I think he's losing his pocket presence.
I don't know if that makes sense or not, but earlier this year, and most of last year, it seemed like he could sense when he needed to get rid of the ball, even if he didn't see the defender coming, but this year, it's like he doesn't sense when the pressure is closing in on him.
How many fumbles does he have this year???

jmmcgorman
11-06-2006, 10:14 AM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

I agree I mean in Madden 07 after two seasons, Williamson is a 96 overall and Tarvaris Jackson is a 99 overall, but then I have to turn off the Video game and turn on the Niners game and begin to say to myself, same ol vikings.

We do need to give it time, but for all of you brad haters out there, how do you expect a quarterback to do well, with no one to throw to.
Last year he had K-Rob, and Burleson, not great, but proving that they were better than what we have this year.
Everybody wants him to throw to wiggins, but the defenses can play so soft against our WR's that they can focus more on the middle where jermaine likes to catch.
So try to step back, maybe analyze what is happening and realize that the reason johnson is taking longer in the pocket is because he is not going to call out his receivers, say "Oh well their not going to get open, let's just act stupid and goof off." He is going to hold on to the ball to try to make a play, let someone get open, the problem is our Receivers have no idea how to do this.

CALL CHRIS CARTER, PAY HIM WHATEVER HE WANTS, HECK, WE'LL EVEN LET HIM PLAY AT WIDE RECEIVER FOR US, BECAUSE HE AT LEAST KNOWS HOW TO CATCH THE BALL, BRING CHRIS AND HIS SILLY PUTTY AND WE WILL BE GOOD TO GO!!!!!! :) ;D

PAvikesfan
11-06-2006, 10:14 AM
i really don't think these games totally rest on brad's shoulders.
yes, he had a really bad Pats game and yes we lost what should have been an easy win aginst the niners...
however, when you don't have anyone to throw to, except wiggins, who is being underused, and mewelde moore, who s being underused, and chester taylor, who is being overused and too predictable, you are up shite's creek.
our offense is lame and our defense can't win every game, even againt the niners.
i am looking at next season as the one that vikes have almost all new skill position offensive starters, because if not, it will be the same crap.

tb04512
11-06-2006, 11:27 AM
haha you should change your sig to him having no balls, and a single sided paper of plays.. run left, run right, receivers cross, recievers deep, lets not block this play, punt, and field goal

ChezPizmo
11-06-2006, 12:23 PM
"gregair13" wrote:

last week was bad. now we have the 49ers. it should be a field day

Yeah, about that...

PurpleRide
11-06-2006, 01:44 PM
"Purple" wrote:

Brad has yet to have a good game.
I will take my chances on bollinger or jackson right now.
Anything is better than that crap they call a QB in johnson.
He cannot score for us, he should not be playing.
We need TD's not field goals.

FreakinVikingsBaby
11-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Definitley coulda used some FG's against SF, but we definitley do need TD's. But Bollinger won't be much better. There is a reason he has been a career backup. TJ is prob not ready. I say if we get blown out, or if we blow someone out(hopefully the fudgepackers) we put TJ in the 4th