PDA

View Full Version : What Childress lacks... Tice had.



Guruzen
11-02-2006, 07:26 PM
When Tice was around, I was constantly moaned and groaned about his lack of intelligence and I admit I was one of those who wanted him out. However he was a players' coach and what he lacked in smarts he made up for with passion which rubbed off on the team.

Now I look at Childress who is all about "the system". The problem is when the system fails, there's nothing left to fall back on. There was no emotion, no passion and no sense of desperation when we were down in Mon night's game.

Tice had his shortcomings but one thing he never lacked was HEART and with that the team had IDENTITY. I look at our Vikes now and I see a soul-less machine that is bound by a "system" with no identity and little opportunity for playmakers to shine. Sure, we have an improved defense but you wouldn't have thought so from the way we played on Monday.

Mike Tice, we may not have as many wins with you but you were all heart and for that I salute you!

Metrodump
11-02-2006, 07:32 PM
CHILDRESS - da jury still be out. Need some mo time yet

TICE - total cement head.

DENNY - was da man. He had playaz playin and the system thang

Now blow the roof off the metrodump and we'll gain another 2 win per season just from da coad asss weather.

RK.
11-02-2006, 07:32 PM
The only thing that Tice had that Childress doesn't is a pencil behind his ear.
:P

cajunvike
11-02-2006, 07:35 PM
"Guruzen" wrote:


When Tice was around, I was constantly moaned and groaned about his lack of intelligence and I admit I was one of those who wanted him out. However he was a players' coach and what he lacked in smarts he made up for with passion which rubbed off on the team.

Now I look at Childress who is all about "the system". The problem is when the system fails, there's nothing left to fall back on. There was no emotion, no passion and no sense of desperation when we were down in Mon night's game.

Tice had his shortcomings but one thing he never lacked was HEART and with that the team had IDENTITY. I look at our Vikes now and I see a soul-less machine that is bound by a "system" with no identity and little opportunity for playmakers to shine. Sure, we have an improved defense but you wouldn't have thought so from the way we played on Monday.

Mike Tice, we may not have as many wins with you but you were all heart and for that I salute you!


The only "system" that was going on Monday night was the REFS SYSTEMATICALLY making bad calls that benefited the Patsies and screweed over the Vikings!!!
>:(

Metrodump
11-02-2006, 07:38 PM
"RK." wrote:


The only thing that Tice had that Childress doesn't is a pencil behind his ear.
:P


Hahahahahaa. Man daz hillarious. HAhahahaa. WORD
;D

Guruzen
11-02-2006, 07:40 PM
"Metrodump" wrote:


CHILDRESS - da jury still be out. Need some mo time yet

TICE - total cement head.

DENNY - was da man. He had playaz playin and the system thang

Now blow the roof off the metrodump and we'll gain another 2 win per season just from da coad asss weather.


Yah Denny did a pretty good job when he was with us.

I wouldn't mind losing the roof but it will certainly have an effect on on attendance in a losing season I think. Imagine a few years from now if we're 3-10 in the final weeks of the season, it's minus 20 wind chill outisde, who's gonna show up?? Of course, if we're 10-3 going for a playoff spot then that will be different.

Metrodump
11-02-2006, 07:47 PM
I'll get flamed fo dis, but

Build a crip like dey gots in Green Bay. Dey had like 15+ yeahrs of loozin season and still sold out da crib da whole time. Dey had crappy coaches and team dat whole time, az we awl know.

Green Bay be like 100,000 population. What iz da cities? WAY MO.

Build an outdoor crib and they will come.

Build an outdoor crib and hire another Denny and we be right where weze need ta be. The end.

Az fo da thread at hand, like I say, Childress be needin mo than 7 games.

olson_10
11-02-2006, 07:48 PM
"Guruzen" wrote:


When Tice was around, I was constantly moaned and groaned about his lack of intelligence and I admit I was one of those who wanted him out. However he was a players' coach and what he lacked in smarts he made up for with passion which rubbed off on the team.

Now I look at Childress who is all about "the system". The problem is when the system fails, there's nothing left to fall back on. There was no emotion, no passion and no sense of desperation when we were down in Mon night's game.

Tice had his shortcomings but one thing he never lacked was HEART and with that the team had IDENTITY. I look at our Vikes now and I see a soul-less machine that is bound by a "system" with no identity and little opportunity for playmakers to shine. Sure, we have an improved defense but you wouldn't have thought so from the way we played on Monday.

Mike Tice, we may not have as many wins with you but you were all heart and for that I salute you!

great post..tice also never had an owner with any ambition or any intelligence to buy him a decent defense that wouldve surely gotten us to a superbowl at some point during his tenure as head coach..another thing i havent quite figured out is how the same offense with a ton LESS talent last season was a HECK of alot better than it is this season with a heck of alot more talent..ive questioned the hiring of childress from the start because the guy hadnt called a single play in his nfl career prior to being hired here

olson_10
11-02-2006, 07:51 PM
"Metrodump" wrote:


I'll get flamed fo dis, but

Build a crip like dey gots in Green Bay. Dey had like 15+ yeahrs of loozin season and still sold out da crib da whole time. Dey had crappy coaches and team dat whole time, az we awl know.

Green Bay be like 100,000 population. What iz da cities? WAY MO.

Build an outdoor crib and they will come.

Build an outdoor crib and hire another Denny and we be right where weze need ta be. The end.

Az fo da thread at hand, like I say, Childress be needin mo than 7 games.



since when did they start playing professional football games in "cribs"?..last time i checked, denny was doing a fantastic job building the arizona cardinals
::)

mr.woo
11-02-2006, 07:52 PM
"Guruzen" wrote:


"Metrodump" wrote:


CHILDRESS - da jury still be out. Need some mo time yet

TICE - total cement head.

DENNY - was da man. He had playaz playin and the system thang

Now blow the roof off the metrodump and we'll gain another 2 win per season just from da coad asss weather.


Yah Denny did a pretty good job when he was with us.

I wouldn't mind losing the roof but it will certainly have an effect on on attendance in a losing season I think. Imagine a few years from now if we're 3-10 in the final weeks of the season, it's minus 20 wind chill outisde, who's gonna show up?? Of course, if we're 10-3 going for a playoff spot then that will be different.



but we wont because we will have a massive homefield advantage.

Guruzen
11-02-2006, 07:52 PM
"Metrodump" wrote:


I'll get flamed fo dis, but

Build a crip like dey gots in Green Bay. Dey had like 15+ yeahrs of loozin season and still sold out da crib da whole time. Dey had crappy coaches and team dat whole time, az we awl know.

Green Bay be like 100,000 population. What iz da cities? WAY MO.

Build an outdoor crib and they will come.

Build an outdoor crib and hire another Denny and we be right where weze need ta be. The end.

Az fo da thread at hand, like I say, Childress be needin mo than 7 games.




GB is different because they live and breathe football (what else are they gonna do down there?). Whereas we were one of the top candidates to relocate to LA at one stage.

A freezing cold outdoor stadium in an upmarket city during a losing season... I'm not sure we'll get the numbers.

Metrodump
11-02-2006, 07:59 PM
since when did they start playing professional football games in "cribs"?..last time i checked, denny was doing a fantastic job building the arizona cardinals
::)


It be called home crib advantage.
;D

You be right about Denny in AZ. He be gettin em in da playoffs in da near future.

And I do not be missin Tice. Where he be now anywayz? Washington high?

BadlandsVikings
11-02-2006, 08:06 PM
"RK." wrote:


The only thing that Tice had that Childress doesn't is a pencil behind his ear.
:P


and a hole in the head

Metrodump
11-02-2006, 08:10 PM
Childress be in successful programs since the early 90's Univ Wis and NFL Philly. Give he a chance. We do gots a winnin raycord by da way

I dont wanna be hijackin da thread about cribs and rooofs. Carryon....

singersp
11-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Does this help make a difference?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/singersp82759/Childress_508.jpg

BadlandsVikings
11-02-2006, 08:46 PM
"singersp" wrote:


Does this help make a difference?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/singersp82759/Childress_508.jpg


just needs a sweater vest and a pound of gum

COJOMAY
11-02-2006, 08:46 PM
So, why wasn't a thread like this posted when we were 2-0 at the beginning of the season? Then Childress was the great coach ever. FAIR WEATHER FANS!

Metrodump
11-02-2006, 08:47 PM
singersp

Dat be FUNNY! LOL LMAO
;D

JellyBean2144
11-02-2006, 08:48 PM
I think that Childress will get things turned around, soon.

Metrodump
11-02-2006, 08:50 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:


So, why wasn't a thread like this posted when we were 2-0 at the beginning of the season? Then Childress was the great coach ever. FAIR WEATHER FANS!


Dass what I be talkin 'bout. Give Brad a chance

When we beet da ninaz, this stuff awl be goin away.

so-cal vike
11-02-2006, 09:19 PM
For anyone who thinks that Childress lacks passion, you need to really watch him on the sidelines, then ask that question.
The man has passion, and so far, no one on the team has spoken ill of him.


I think what he has that Tice didn't and still doesn't is a system and a plan.

happy camper
11-02-2006, 09:27 PM
chili has passion, just doesnt wear it on hid sleeve

singersp
11-02-2006, 09:33 PM
"so-cal" wrote:


For anyone who thinks that Childress lacks passion, you need to really watch him on the sidelines, then ask that question.
The man has passion, and so far, no one on the team has spoken ill of him.


I think what he has that Tice didn't and still doesn't is a system and a plan.


Tice had a plan. He was one of the primary reasons we have the talent we do on our team.

One think Tice had that Childress doesn't, was a coaching staff that wasn't worth a pooh!

PAvikesfan
11-02-2006, 09:36 PM
This is an aweful post.

singersp
11-02-2006, 09:39 PM
"PAvikesfan" wrote:


This is an aweful post.


??? Whose aweful post? Or do you mean aweful thread?

so-cal vike
11-02-2006, 09:41 PM
"singersp" wrote:


"so-cal" wrote:


For anyone who thinks that Childress lacks passion, you need to really watch him on the sidelines, then ask that question.
The man has passion, and so far, no one on the team has spoken ill of him.


I think what he has that Tice didn't and still doesn't is a system and a plan.



One think Tice had that Childress doesn't was a coaching staff that wasn't worth a pooh!


I can agree with that.

olson_10
11-02-2006, 09:44 PM
i just wish tice had the chance to go through an entire offseason with Wilf as the owner..that way he wouldve been able to bring in the proper player and coaching personnel rather than being forced to just promote people that dont want the job from within the organization

TheAnimal93
11-02-2006, 09:44 PM
I cant believe that people are sweating on brads' brads already!!!
Meathead vs. Chili?
C'mon!

olson_10
11-02-2006, 09:48 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:


So, why wasn't a thread like this posted when we were 2-0 at the beginning of the season? Then Childress was the great coach ever. FAIR WEATHER FANS!

ive been saying it all along regardless of our record..the offense is absolutely brutal, and its his system at fault..ive said all along if we have no offense, we wont be able to beat the 'elite' teams (see final score of bears and pats games)..tice had alot less talent to put together, and still found a way to make last years offense better than this years..im not saying bring tice back or anything like that, just questioning the goofy playcalling and offensive scheme from a guy that never called a play in his nfl coaching career before coming here

PAvikesfan
11-02-2006, 09:48 PM
aweful thread.
come on.
brad chill'ess is a calm individual.
tice's heart and head was up his azz.

Prophet
11-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Everytime I think the threads are getting better someone slaps me across the head with a dose of reality.

sleepagent
11-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Tice had potential, but working for a cheapskate didn't help things.
Who knows what would've happened, but I think he was on the right track.

Childress keeps things in house, but apparently can fire up the boys when necessary.
According to the folks at MNF, the Vikes went into the locker room with their heads hung, but came out all fired up.

We just gotta load the guns with more powerful ammo that can catch and block!

olson_10
11-02-2006, 09:50 PM
"Metrodump" wrote:


"COJOMAY" wrote:


So, why wasn't a thread like this posted when we were 2-0 at the beginning of the season? Then Childress was the great coach ever. FAIR WEATHER FANS!


Dass what I be talkin 'bout. Give Brad a chance

When we beet da ninaz, this stuff awl be goin away.

if the offense puts up 28 points against the 49ers, il get off his case..i said the OFFENSE needs to score that many, not including however many points our defense and special teams get us also

olson_10
11-02-2006, 09:53 PM
"sleepagent" wrote:


Tice had potential, but working for a cheapskate didn't help things.
Who knows what would've happened, but I think he was on the right track.

Childress keeps things in house, but apparently can fire up the boys when necessary.
According to the folks at MNF, the Vikes went into the locker room with their heads hung, but came out all fired up.

We just gotta load the guns with more powerful ammo that can catch and block!

and a new offensive scheme altogether..i dont think more receivers or better blockers would make that much of a difference with the goofy plays this guy dials up..again i refer to last years team with half the talent but still overall being far better than this year offensively..its the scheme..uve got a big WR in robinson thats accustomed to jumping up and bringing down TD passes, but we never run those plays..we never use wiggins or kleinsasser anymore..williamson being featured has proven to be a failure because hes got the worst pair of hands ive seen in recent memory (i liked that play against new england that shouldve been pass interference, but he still didnt even put his hands out to catch the perfectly thrown pass anyways, resulting in a punt rather than a sure thing TD)

Prophet
11-02-2006, 09:53 PM
"Guruzen" wrote:


When Tice was around, I was constantly moaned and groaned about his lack of intelligence and I admit I was one of those who wanted him out. However he was a players' coach and what he lacked in smarts he made up for with passion which rubbed off on the team.

Now I look at Childress who is all about "the system". The problem is when the system fails, there's nothing left to fall back on. There was no emotion, no passion and no sense of desperation when we were down in Mon night's game.

Tice had his shortcomings but one thing he never lacked was HEART and with that the team had IDENTITY. I look at our Vikes now and I see a soul-less machine that is bound by a "system" with no identity and little opportunity for playmakers to shine. Sure, we have an improved defense but you wouldn't have thought so from the way we played on Monday.

Mike Tice, we may not have as many wins with you but you were all heart and for that I salute you!


I have a feeling that you have never seen Bud Grant on the sidelines coaching a game.

singersp
11-02-2006, 10:17 PM
"Acumen" wrote:


"Guruzen" wrote:


When Tice was around, I was constantly moaned and groaned about his lack of intelligence and I admit I was one of those who wanted him out. However he was a players' coach and what he lacked in smarts he made up for with passion which rubbed off on the team.

Now I look at Childress who is all about "the system". The problem is when the system fails, there's nothing left to fall back on. There was no emotion, no passion and no sense of desperation when we were down in Mon night's game.

Tice had his shortcomings but one thing he never lacked was HEART and with that the team had IDENTITY. I look at our Vikes now and I see a soul-less machine that is bound by a "system" with no identity and little opportunity for playmakers to shine. Sure, we have an improved defense but you wouldn't have thought so from the way we played on Monday.

Mike Tice, we may not have as many wins with you but you were all heart and for that I salute you!


I have a feeling that you have never seen Bud Grant on the sidelines coaching a game.




I rember Bud smiling...................................................once!

BadlandsVikings
11-02-2006, 10:21 PM
"singersp" wrote:


"Acumen" wrote:


"Guruzen" wrote:


When Tice was around, I was constantly moaned and groaned about his lack of intelligence and I admit I was one of those who wanted him out. However he was a players' coach and what he lacked in smarts he made up for with passion which rubbed off on the team.

Now I look at Childress who is all about "the system". The problem is when the system fails, there's nothing left to fall back on. There was no emotion, no passion and no sense of desperation when we were down in Mon night's game.

Tice had his shortcomings but one thing he never lacked was HEART and with that the team had IDENTITY. I look at our Vikes now and I see a soul-less machine that is bound by a "system" with no identity and little opportunity for playmakers to shine. Sure, we have an improved defense but you wouldn't have thought so from the way we played on Monday.

Mike Tice, we may not have as many wins with you but you were all heart and for that I salute you!


I have a feeling that you have never seen Bud Grant on the sidelines coaching a game.




I rember Bud smiling...................................................once!


I didn't know that was possible.

singersp
11-02-2006, 10:41 PM
"WVV" wrote:


"singersp" wrote:


"Acumen" wrote:


"Guruzen" wrote:


When Tice was around, I was constantly moaned and groaned about his lack of intelligence and I admit I was one of those who wanted him out. However he was a players' coach and what he lacked in smarts he made up for with passion which rubbed off on the team.

Now I look at Childress who is all about "the system". The problem is when the system fails, there's nothing left to fall back on. There was no emotion, no passion and no sense of desperation when we were down in Mon night's game.

Tice had his shortcomings but one thing he never lacked was HEART and with that the team had IDENTITY. I look at our Vikes now and I see a soul-less machine that is bound by a "system" with no identity and little opportunity for playmakers to shine. Sure, we have an improved defense but you wouldn't have thought so from the way we played on Monday.

Mike Tice, we may not have as many wins with you but you were all heart and for that I salute you!


I have a feeling that you have never seen Bud Grant on the sidelines coaching a game.




I rember Bud smiling...................................................once!


I didn't know that was possible.


I think it was the year after Steckel was ousted. I don't remember the play, but it was something out of the ordinary that made him smile. I remember the announcers making a big deal out of it, because you never saw him smile.

purplehorn
11-02-2006, 10:43 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:


The only "system" that was going on Monday night was the REFS SYSTEMATICALLY making bad calls that benefited the Patsies and screweed over the Vikings!!!
>:(


Can you get an Amen? AMEN BROTHER!!!

Vikes
11-02-2006, 10:52 PM
Childress will go down as one of the greatest Minnesota coaches. Tice will go down as the greatest Super Bowl ticket scalper.

jargomcfargo
11-02-2006, 11:03 PM
"Acumen" wrote:


"Guruzen" wrote:


When Tice was around, I was constantly moaned and groaned about his lack of intelligence and I admit I was one of those who wanted him out. However he was a players' coach and what he lacked in smarts he made up for with passion which rubbed off on the team.

Now I look at Childress who is all about "the system". The problem is when the system fails, there's nothing left to fall back on. There was no emotion, no passion and no sense of desperation when we were down in Mon night's game.

Tice had his shortcomings but one thing he never lacked was HEART and with that the team had IDENTITY. I look at our Vikes now and I see a soul-less machine that is bound by a "system" with no identity and little opportunity for playmakers to shine. Sure, we have an improved defense but you wouldn't have thought so from the way we played on Monday.

Mike Tice, we may not have as many wins with you but you were all heart and for that I salute you!


I have a feeling that you have never seen Bud Grant on the sidelines coaching a game.





Here here here. Bud Grant. Yeah Bud Grant. Remember that look he had? He didn't have to talk or yell. There were others like him in his day. Tom Landry never wore sweat clothes on Sunday!

What Childress lacks my jiggly ass!

We are 4 - 3 with a new head coach !

We have a highly rated defense with a rookie defensive coordinator that people wanted to crown a week ago.

Anyone who wants to give up on this team after a bad loss to the greatest team of the present era need to have some faith.

Did you think we would be 4 - 3 at this point in the season last July or August?

If Childress is " all about the system " he would have run the ball Monday night.

It is my opinion that Childress has taken the players he has inherited; added those he could, and turned this program around.

You wouldn't be so disappointed if Childress and his team hadn't given you hope prior to Monday nights game.

The Vikings showed promise so you thought they could win it all only to be disappointed when they suffered an embarrassing loss.

Well this team is pretty darn good. There are only 10 teams with winning records.

I like Tice. His chance here may have been doomed by Red. But I believe he was 2 - 5 last year at this point.

Bud Grant didn't have a winning team his first year. But it looks like Childress will.

And if you attribute that to Tice then you also need to attribute any criticisms of Dropped balls, weak arms, or soft coverage to him as well.

Childress is a rookie head coach who I have critisized here myself at times.

He is going to make mistakes like all that came before him.

Remember that Belechek sucked and was run out of Cleveland before" Brady".

Honestly, this Vikings team has a chance to win the division and do great things this year.

That's something we all recognize. and that's one reason we are all so disappointed with the loss Monday night.

This team got beat like a drum Monday night.

But this team is for real.

If this is the first year of Childress, what will years two and three bring?

I think history will show Childress to be the best coach since Bud Grant. And will show Tice to be a former Vikings tight end and head coach we all love.

ziggy
11-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Its Childress 1st year give him some slack, at least a year!! Tice could barley keep us a .500 team and we will probley end up 10-6 or 9-7 for his 1st year. Tice had Moss, C-pep his 1st year and we went 5-11. Pluse its nice that we finally have a running game, something tice could never give us.

olson_10
11-02-2006, 11:22 PM
"ziggy" wrote:


Its Childress 1st year give him some slack, at least a year!! Tice could barley keep us a .500 team and we will probley end up 10-6 or 9-7 for his 1st year. Tice had Moss, C-pep his 1st year and we went 5-11. Pluse its nice that we finally have a running game, something tice could never give us.

come on man, u cant just make outrageaous claims like that..we were #1 in rushing in 2002, and #4 in 2003..he never once had a defence, nor did he ever have a great offensive line..he worked wonders with our offense, even when brad johnson took over last season..just never had the owner willing to put together a defense good enough to match the explosiveness of the offense..theres no case against that..hes gone and nothing will ever be done about that, but the fact of the matter is, the guy never underacheived when you phase in how pathetic the entire team was outside of moss, pep and birk..the receivers changed year to year, as well as the line, and the defense shuffled in randoms day in and day out due to Reds cheap ass attitude..the guy wasnt a let down at all in my eyes

ziggy
11-02-2006, 11:30 PM
And whats the reason we start out 6-0 and end up 9-7?? He couldnt keep the team together! Or was that the owners fault for not paying out the dough!

The Dropper
11-03-2006, 12:31 AM
"olson_10" wrote:


"COJOMAY" wrote:


So, why wasn't a thread like this posted when we were 2-0 at the beginning of the season? Then Childress was the great coach ever. FAIR WEATHER FANS!

ive been saying it all along regardless of our record..the offense is absolutely brutal, and its his system at fault..ive said all along if we have no offense, we wont be able to beat the 'elite' teams (see final score of bears and pats games)..tice had alot less talent to put together, and still found a way to make last years offense better than this years..im not saying bring tice back or anything like that, just questioning the goofy playcalling and offensive scheme from a guy that never called a play in his nfl coaching career before coming here


Our offense was better last year than this year? I'm a little curious how that was devised. Leaving out the first half of the year (in which Culpepper threw about twice as many INT's as TD's and the offense was downright awful), we went 7-2. I'm pretty sure that only two, maybe three, out of those nine teams were actually quality teams. And I don't remember Brad Johnson throwing for over 300 yards in a single game or our offense as a whole putting up spectacular numbers.

What I do remember is the Vikes winning games by low margins against low to medium- quality teams, putting up moderate offensive numbers, and losing to good-quality teams. That's pretty much exactly what we're doing now, except that we've beat some good quality teams, and with the exception of last Sunday, made every game we've played in close.

So while I'll say that I've also criticized some of Childress's playcalling, I know for a fact that I don't feel nearly the frustration or downright anger towards his calls as I did when Tice was around. Furthermore, I'm trying to figure out what talent we have this year that we didn't have last year. Didn't we have Koren Robinson, an actual (at least borderline) #1 receiver last year? And didn't we have Culpepper last year (who stunk, but at least he was talented in theory)? Sure, we have Hutch, Chester, Richardson, and a few guys back from injury now, but otherwise the roster is pretty much the same. At any rate I don't see a huge influx of talent between the years.

Mike Tice strikes me as a really good guy; the kind of guy I'd love to have a beer with. And I'll agree that he had heart, which is a really good thing because there wasn't much upstairs.
But let's face it, the most consistent thing about Tice was his inconsistency. Starting 6-0 to finish 9-7?! That's just ridiculous. Basically, I didn't see the team fired up to play with any more consistency last year than they do now, and personally, I'm thankful for a system to fall back on when the team doesn't show up to play emotionally.

RK.
11-03-2006, 12:43 AM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:




Here here here. Bud Grant. Yeah Bud Grant. Remember that look he had? He didn't have to talk or yell. There were others like him in his day. Tom Landry never wore sweat clothes on Sunday!

What Childress lacks my jiggly jiggly butt!

We are 4 - 3 with a new head coach !

We have a highly rated defense with a rookie defensive coordinator that people wanted to crown a week ago.

Anyone who wants to give up on this team after a bad loss to the greatest team of the present era need to have some faith.

Did you think we would be 4 - 3 at this point in the season last July or August?

If Childress is " all about the system " he would have run the ball Monday night.

It is my opinion that Childress has taken the players he has inherited; added those he could, and turned this program around.

You wouldn't be so disappointed if Childress and his team hadn't given you hope prior to Monday nights game.

The Vikings showed promise so you thought they could win it all only to be disappointed when they suffered an embarrassing loss.

Well this team is pretty darn good. There are only 10 teams with winning records.

I like Tice. His chance here may have been doomed by Red. But I believe he was 2 - 5 last year at this point.

Bud Grant didn't have a winning team his first year. But it looks like Childress will.

And if you attribute that to Tice then you also need to attribute any criticisms of Dropped balls, weak arms, or soft coverage to him as well.

Childress is a rookie head coach who I have critisized here myself at times.

He is going to make mistakes like all that came before him.

Remember that Belechek sucked and was run out of Cleveland before" Brady".

Honestly, this Vikings team has a chance to win the division and do great things this year.

That's something we all recognize. and that's one reason we are all so disappointed with the loss Monday night.

This team got beat like a drum Monday night.

But this team is for real.

If this is the first year of Childress, what will years two and three bring?

I think history will show Childress to be the best coach since Bud Grant. And will show Tice to be a former Vikings tight end and head coach we all love.

Excellent post jargomcfargo.
:)

Caine
11-03-2006, 04:06 AM
I was a Mike Tice supporter.
I long lamented the fact that Red *goat grabber* McCombs wouldn't allow Mike to hire real coaches...or bring in real players.
Tice never really stood a chance of being successful here, and was fired.

Childress has made only a couple of significant errors thus far - in my opinion.

1:
He has elected to call the plays.
From what I've seen thus far, I'd be happier if we had a REAL Offensive Coordinator on the side lines calling plays and working up schemes.
I don't know what Darrell Bevel actually does, but knowing that he was with Childress at the UW and doesn't have the type of coaching resume noramally associated with an OC, I can only assume he was brought in to fill the slot knowing that he won't rock the boat.

Here's Bevel's bio snap shot from NFL.com:


Darrell Bevell, offensive coordinator; born January 6, 1970, Yuma, Ariz. Quarterback Northern Arizona 1989, Wisconsin 1992-95. No pro playing experience. College coach: Westmar 1996, Iowa State 1997, Connecticut 1998-99. Pro coach: Green Bay Packers 2000-05, joined Vikings in 2006.

His highest ranked position was Quarterbacks Coach with the Packers...not exactly inspiring.
And, with only 10 years of TOTAL coaching experience, unless he's some sort of prodigy, is he ready for this?
And, if he WAS a prodigy, why isn't he calling plays?
It is increasingly my opinion that Bevel was brought in and given an empty title because he would, in essence, be a "Yes" man.

Childress and Wilf are both doing the same thing...and it's a mistake in both cases.
They're both trying to do it THEIR way...all by themselves.
Zygi won't bring in a real GM, and Childress won't bring in a real OC.

2:
He did not actively pursue a better QB or better receivers.
This one I'm willing to slide a bit on because of what he DID actively pursue - a better O-line (At least on the left side) and a better Defense.

Childress has the advantage of being new in his position, but no fan wants to watch their team struggle through the rebuilding process.
Everyone remembers how Gruden won a Superbowl in Tampa Bay his first year there...and everyone wants that (They just don't want their team to immediately suck for the next 6 years after that).

Childress is a conservative guy...that's probably what Zygi likes about him.
It's reflected in his personal life...and in his play calling.
In the latter case, however, it's an extreme liability.
Andy Ried, Childress' former boss, takes risks.
That's why his team has offensive numbers, 4 consecutive trips to the NFC Championship game, and a Superbowl appearance.
Childress needs to hire someone with a more daring approach to the game, someone who will ignite the team, not someone who will blindly nod every time Childress calls another running play on 3rd and 12.

The biggest difference between Tice and Childress is that Tice has no future with the Vikings, Childress does.
I hope that this season will serve as a wake up call to Brad, and that he will recognize his NEED to have a real OC on board.
He'll still call the shots, but let someone else call the plays.

Some might think I'm being anti-Childress.
I'm not.
I'm all for the guy.
But one thing I've noticed about great NFL coaches...they surround themselves with excellent coaches who also go on to be great NFL coaches...and they let them do their jobs.
Chldress will hopefully realize that the best Head Coaches aren't the guys who can call the best plays or create the best schemes, they're the guys who find the guys who can...and let them.

And bring in some real receivers, a real QB, and shore up the Defense.
Tomlin has been brilliant - except versus New England - so lets keep him with a continuous supply of talented people to make his Defense run (Until someone grabs him to be THEIR Head Coach...sometime in the next 3 years most likely).

Caine

cogitans
11-03-2006, 04:45 AM
"Caine" wrote:


Childress is a conservative guy...that's probably what Zygi likes about him.
It's reflected in his personal life...and in his play calling.
In the latter case, however, it's an extreme liability.
Andy Ried, Childress' former boss, takes risks.
That's why his team has offensive numbers, 4 consecutive trips to the NFC Championship game, and a Superbowl appearance.
Childress needs to hire someone with a more daring approach to the game, someone who will ignite the team, not someone who will blindly nod every time Childress calls another running play on 3rd and 12.


I disagree on this part.

I think we've had our shares of going for it on 4th down (9 tries, 3rd in the NFL), and trick plays (Owens TD from Longwell, Wiggins TD from Moore).

Caine
11-03-2006, 12:55 PM
"cogitans" wrote:


"Caine" wrote:


Childress is a conservative guy...that's probably what Zygi likes about him.
It's reflected in his personal life...and in his play calling.
In the latter case, however, it's an extreme liability.
Andy Ried, Childress' former boss, takes risks.
That's why his team has offensive numbers, 4 consecutive trips to the NFC Championship game, and a Superbowl appearance.
Childress needs to hire someone with a more daring approach to the game, someone who will ignite the team, not someone who will blindly nod every time Childress calls another running play on 3rd and 12.


I disagree on this part.

I think we've had our shares of going for it on 4th down (9 tries, 3rd in the NFL), and trick plays (Owens TD from Longwell, Wiggins TD from Moore).


Going for it on 4th down doesn't mean you're living on the edge any more than driving 27 in a 25 does.
We've gone for it on 4th down for a variety of reasons...almost all of them intuitively logical.
Those attempts were coldly calculated...except for the one Monday night (that failed).

The trick plays show that Childress will once in a while give a wink and a nod...but I don't really see that as a sign of him being a risk taker.
When your Offense hasn't scored a TD in 12 quarters, you run a trick play because nothing else has worked up to that point.

Don't get me wrong, being conservative isn't always a bad thing.
I wouldn't want a loose cannon head coach in there.
My point above is that Childress needs someone else in there making calls - someone with a bit more daring.
Someone who will take shots, and who won't consistantly look for the short gain "and allow the receiver to make the play"...especially when they're not even making the catch (Williamson) or to make a play (Like when a LB or DB is draped over them as they catch the ball).

Bottom line, after 7 games your offense has only 7 TDs.
That says there's a problem.
And, as with all problems, we look at the bottom first, but eventually have to start looking up.
It IS fixable...just maybe not this year.

Caine

cogitans
11-03-2006, 01:04 PM
"Caine" wrote:


"cogitans" wrote:


"Caine" wrote:


Childress is a conservative guy...that's probably what Zygi likes about him.
It's reflected in his personal life...and in his play calling.
In the latter case, however, it's an extreme liability.
Andy Ried, Childress' former boss, takes risks.
That's why his team has offensive numbers, 4 consecutive trips to the NFC Championship game, and a Superbowl appearance.
Childress needs to hire someone with a more daring approach to the game, someone who will ignite the team, not someone who will blindly nod every time Childress calls another running play on 3rd and 12.


I disagree on this part.

I think we've had our shares of going for it on 4th down (9 tries, 3rd in the NFL), and trick plays (Owens TD from Longwell, Wiggins TD from Moore).


Going for it on 4th down doesn't mean you're living on the edge any more than driving 27 in a 25 does.
We've gone for it on 4th down for a variety of reasons...almost all of them intuitively logical.
Those attempts were coldly calculated...except for the one Monday night (that failed).

The trick plays show that Childress will once in a while give a wink and a nod...but I don't really see that as a sign of him being a risk taker.
When your Offense hasn't scored a TD in 12 quarters, you run a trick play because nothing else has worked up to that point.

Don't get me wrong, being conservative isn't always a bad thing.
I wouldn't want a loose cannon head coach in there.
My point above is that Childress needs someone else in there making calls - someone with a bit more daring.
Someone who will take shots, and who won't consistantly look for the short gain "and allow the receiver to make the play"...especially when they're not even making the catch (Williamson) or to make a play (Like when a LB or DB is draped over them as they catch the ball).

Bottom line, after 7 games your offense has only 7 TDs.
That says there's a problem.
And, as with all problems, we look at the bottom first, but eventually have to start looking up.
It IS fixable...just maybe not this year.

Caine


I'll agree with you if what you meen is that we lack some deep shots on the sidelines, instead of allways checking it down too quickly.

But I think some of those 4th downs and trickplays shows that Childress isn't afraid.

And I seriously can't see that he's more conservative than the most conservative coach in the game, Andy Ried. That was kind of what I jumped at

olson_10
11-03-2006, 01:11 PM
"Caine" wrote:


I was a Mike Tice supporter.
I long lamented the fact that Red *goat grabber* McCombs wouldn't allow Mike to hire real coaches...or bring in real players.
Tice never really stood a chance of being successful here, and was fired.

Childress has made only a couple of significant errors thus far - in my opinion.

1:
He has elected to call the plays.
From what I've seen thus far, I'd be happier if we had a REAL Offensive Coordinator on the side lines calling plays and working up schemes. I don't know what Darrell Bevel actually does, but knowing that he was with Childress at the UW and doesn't have the type of coaching resume noramally associated with an OC, I can only assume he was brought in to fill the slot knowing that he won't rock the boat.

Here's Bevel's bio snap shot from NFL.com:


Darrell Bevell, offensive coordinator; born January 6, 1970, Yuma, Ariz. Quarterback Northern Arizona 1989, Wisconsin 1992-95. No pro playing experience. College coach: Westmar 1996, Iowa State 1997, Connecticut 1998-99. Pro coach: Green Bay Packers 2000-05, joined Vikings in 2006.

His highest ranked position was Quarterbacks Coach with the Packers...not exactly inspiring.
And, with only 10 years of TOTAL coaching experience, unless he's some sort of prodigy, is he ready for this?
And, if he WAS a prodigy, why isn't he calling plays?
It is increasingly my opinion that Bevel was brought in and given an empty title because he would, in essence, be a "Yes" man.

Childress and Wilf are both doing the same thing...and it's a mistake in both cases.
They're both trying to do it THEIR way...all by themselves.
Zygi won't bring in a real GM, and Childress won't bring in a real OC.

2:
He did not actively pursue a better QB or better receivers.
This one I'm willing to slide a bit on because of what he DID actively pursue - a better O-line (At least on the left side) and a better Defense.

Childress has the advantage of being new in his position, but no fan wants to watch their team struggle through the rebuilding process.
Everyone remembers how Gruden won a Superbowl in Tampa Bay his first year there...and everyone wants that (They just don't want their team to immediately suck for the next 6 years after that).

Childress is a conservative guy...that's probably what Zygi likes about him.
It's reflected in his personal life...and in his play calling.
In the latter case, however, it's an extreme liability.
Andy Ried, Childress' former boss, takes risks.
That's why his team has offensive numbers, 4 consecutive trips to the NFC Championship game, and a Superbowl appearance.
Childress needs to hire someone with a more daring approach to the game, someone who will ignite the team, not someone who will blindly nod every time Childress calls another running play on 3rd and 12.

The biggest difference between Tice and Childress is that Tice has no future with the Vikings, Childress does.
I hope that this season will serve as a wake up call to Brad, and that he will recognize his NEED to have a real OC on board.
He'll still call the shots, but let someone else call the plays.

Some might think I'm being anti-Childress.
I'm not.
I'm all for the guy.
But one thing I've noticed about great NFL coaches...they surround themselves with excellent coaches who also go on to be great NFL coaches...and they let them do their jobs.
Chldress will hopefully realize that the best Head Coaches aren't the guys who can call the best plays or create the best schemes, they're the guys who find the guys who can...and let them.

And bring in some real receivers, a real QB, and shore up the Defense.
Tomlin has been brilliant - except versus New England - so lets keep him with a continuous supply of talented people to make his Defense run (Until someone grabs him to be THEIR Head Coach...sometime in the next 3 years most likely).

Caine

this is what i have a problem with because thats the role childress played in philly

FreakinVikingsBaby
11-03-2006, 01:20 PM
I think if T-Will showed us he could catch we would be taking more deep shots, because he is our only legitimate deep threat. We also need to incorporate Wiggins in a lot more. I don't get how all of our passes are little dink n dunk throws, yet barely any of them go to TE's.

Vikestand
11-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Jesus christ Metro-dump speak ENGLISH....And I didnt read through all of these but its his FIRST season...Being a former player it is tougher to play under a new coach than what people think...

jargomcfargo
11-03-2006, 04:14 PM
"Caine" wrote:


I was a Mike Tice supporter.
I long lamented the fact that Red *goat grabber* McCombs wouldn't allow Mike to hire real coaches...or bring in real players.
Tice never really stood a chance of being successful here, and was fired.

Childress has made only a couple of significant errors thus far - in my opinion.

1:
He has elected to call the plays.
From what I've seen thus far, I'd be happier if we had a REAL Offensive Coordinator on the side lines calling plays and working up schemes
I don't know what Darrell Bevel actually does, but knowing that he was with Childress at the UW and doesn't have the type of coaching resume noramally associated with an OC, I can only assume he was brought in to fill the slot knowing that he won't rock the boat.

Here's Bevel's bio snap shot from NFL.com:


Darrell Bevell, offensive coordinator; born January 6, 1970, Yuma, Ariz. Quarterback Northern Arizona 1989, Wisconsin 1992-95. No pro playing experience. College coach: Westmar 1996, Iowa State 1997, Connecticut 1998-99. Pro coach: Green Bay Packers 2000-05, joined Vikings in 2006.

His highest ranked position was Quarterbacks Coach with the Packers...not exactly inspiring.
And, with only 10 years of TOTAL coaching experience, unless he's some sort of prodigy, is he ready for this?
And, if he WAS a prodigy, why isn't he calling plays?
It is increasingly my opinion that Bevel was brought in and given an empty title because he would, in essence, be a "Yes" man.

Childress and Wilf are both doing the same thing...and it's a mistake in both cases.
They're both trying to do it THEIR way...all by themselves.
Zygi won't bring in a real GM, and Childress won't bring in a real OC.

2:
He did not actively pursue a better QB or better receivers.
This one I'm willing to slide a bit on because of what he DID actively pursue - a better O-line (At least on the left side) and a better Defense.

Childress has the advantage of being new in his position, but no fan wants to watch their team struggle through the rebuilding process.
Everyone remembers how Gruden won a Superbowl in Tampa Bay his first year there...and everyone wants that (They just don't want their team to immediately suck for the next 6 years after that).

Childress is a conservative guy...that's probably what Zygi likes about him.
It's reflected in his personal life...and in his play calling.
In the latter case, however, it's an extreme liability.
Andy Ried, Childress' former boss, takes risks.
That's why his team has offensive numbers, 4 consecutive trips to the NFC Championship game, and a Superbowl appearance.
Childress needs to hire someone with a more daring approach to the game, someone who will ignite the team, not someone who will blindly nod every time Childress calls another running play on 3rd and 12.

The biggest difference between Tice and Childress is that Tice has no future with the Vikings, Childress does.
I hope that this season will serve as a wake up call to Brad, and that he will recognize his NEED to have a real OC on board.
He'll still call the shots, but let someone else call the plays.

Some might think I'm being anti-Childress.
I'm not.
I'm all for the guy.
But one thing I've noticed about great NFL coaches...they surround themselves with excellent coaches who also go on to be great NFL coaches...and they let them do their jobs.
Chldress will hopefully realize that the best Head Coaches aren't the guys who can call the best plays or create the best schemes, they're the guys who find the guys who can...and let them.

And bring in some real receivers, a real QB, and shore up the Defense.
Tomlin has been brilliant - except versus New England - so lets keep him with a continuous supply of talented people to make his Defense run (Until someone grabs him to be THEIR Head Coach...sometime in the next 3 years most likely).

Caine


I would agree with hiring a real OC and Childress just being the head coach.
Or if Childress wants to be the OC so bad, we could bring back Tice as the head coach! lol!
Or Jerry Burns as OC.That would be fun. Is he still alive?

Seriously, I'm not a big fan of head coaches calling all the plays. Oversight on crucial play calls is fine but otherwise the head coach is out there on an island by himself.

I obviously like Childress but would like to see this change.

PurpleRide
11-03-2006, 04:39 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:


"Guruzen" wrote:


When Tice was around, I was constantly moaned and groaned about his lack of intelligence and I admit I was one of those who wanted him out. However he was a players' coach and what he lacked in smarts he made up for with passion which rubbed off on the team.

Now I look at Childress who is all about "the system". The problem is when the system fails, there's nothing left to fall back on. There was no emotion, no passion and no sense of desperation when we were down in Mon night's game.

Tice had his shortcomings but one thing he never lacked was HEART and with that the team had IDENTITY. I look at our Vikes now and I see a soul-less machine that is bound by a "system" with no identity and little opportunity for playmakers to shine. Sure, we have an improved defense but you wouldn't have thought so from the way we played on Monday.

Mike Tice, we may not have as many wins with you but you were all heart and for that I salute you!


The only "system" that was going on Monday night was the REFS SYSTEMATICALLY making bad calls that benefited the Patsies and screweed over the Vikings!!!
>:(


there you go, blame the refs.
Its the refs fault johnson sucked it up.
Its the refs fault no one on defence could stop anyone, its the refs fault we fell behind fast.
Yeah blame the refs, its also the medias fault the vikings lost bad because they gave them respect for once

Prophet
11-03-2006, 04:47 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:


"cajunvike" wrote:


"Guruzen" wrote:


When Tice was around, I was constantly moaned and groaned about his lack of intelligence and I admit I was one of those who wanted him out. However he was a players' coach and what he lacked in smarts he made up for with passion which rubbed off on the team.

Now I look at Childress who is all about "the system". The problem is when the system fails, there's nothing left to fall back on. There was no emotion, no passion and no sense of desperation when we were down in Mon night's game.

Tice had his shortcomings but one thing he never lacked was HEART and with that the team had IDENTITY. I look at our Vikes now and I see a soul-less machine that is bound by a "system" with no identity and little opportunity for playmakers to shine. Sure, we have an improved defense but you wouldn't have thought so from the way we played on Monday.

Mike Tice, we may not have as many wins with you but you were all heart and for that I salute you!


The only "system" that was going on Monday night was the REFS SYSTEMATICALLY making bad calls that benefited the Patsies and screweed over the Vikings!!!
>:(


there you go, blame the refs.
Its the refs fault johnson sucked it up.
Its the refs fault no one on defence could stop anyone, its the refs fault we fell behind fast.
Yeah blame the refs, its also the medias fault the vikings lost bad because they gave them respect for once


You forgot about Smoot.

PurpleRide
11-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Tice would have done better with better players, he would have done better last year if we would have kept scotty L, DC would have been better if we had scotty L last year.
Red was pissed at MN for not builing him a stadium right away so he went cheap on everyone.
I am glad tice is gone, i wish we would have kept scotty L last year and promoted him to HC this year.
I think he will have a great career.
That being said, I am glad we have childress, he is a great mind, the problem we have on offence is minor, the line needs time to play together, TJ needs to watch and learn this year and start next year.
Our O will be top 10 next year with T-jack and a solid O line.
Now if johnson is there next year, we will suck again.

PurpleRide
11-03-2006, 04:53 PM
"Acumen" wrote:


"PurpleRide" wrote:


"cajunvike" wrote:


"Guruzen" wrote:


When Tice was around, I was constantly moaned and groaned about his lack of intelligence and I admit I was one of those who wanted him out. However he was a players' coach and what he lacked in smarts he made up for with passion which rubbed off on the team.

Now I look at Childress who is all about "the system". The problem is when the system fails, there's nothing left to fall back on. There was no emotion, no passion and no sense of desperation when we were down in Mon night's game.

Tice had his shortcomings but one thing he never lacked was HEART and with that the team had IDENTITY. I look at our Vikes now and I see a soul-less machine that is bound by a "system" with no identity and little opportunity for playmakers to shine. Sure, we have an improved defense but you wouldn't have thought so from the way we played on Monday.

Mike Tice, we may not have as many wins with you but you were all heart and for that I salute you!


The only "system" that was going on Monday night was the REFS SYSTEMATICALLY making bad calls that benefited the Patsies and screweed over the Vikings!!!
>:(


there you go, blame the refs.
Its the refs fault johnson sucked it up.
Its the refs fault no one on defence could stop anyone, its the refs fault we fell behind fast.
Yeah blame the refs, its also the medias fault the vikings lost bad because they gave them respect for once


You forgot about Smoot.


yeah your right, its always smoots fault.
Its smoot's fault windfield got burned on the opening TD last week

UndisputedVike
11-03-2006, 05:32 PM
The only thing that Tice could really do was draft, and he drafted damn well.

Purple Floyd
11-03-2006, 07:17 PM
"UndisputedVike" wrote:


The only thing that Tice could really do was draft, and he drafted gol 'darnit well.


Yeah

I can still see the image of his face when he realized he lost his pick because he was too slow and the team picking below us got in there and grabbed him.Then the next year he almost did it again. lol



There is a bit of truth to the title of this thread.

What Childress lacks is a potent offense, and Tice had that when he inherited the team. Of course what Tice laced was a solid defense, and Childress pretty much has that if you disregard the last game.

DeathtoDenny
11-03-2006, 08:02 PM
You said it, uffda. The Vikes couldn't break 9-7 with no defense and this team will struggle to break 9-7 with no offense.

singersp
11-03-2006, 09:02 PM
"olson_10" wrote:


"Caine" wrote:


I was a Mike Tice supporter.
I long lamented the fact that Red *goat grabber* McCombs wouldn't allow Mike to hire real coaches...or bring in real players.
Tice never really stood a chance of being successful here, and was fired.

Childress has made only a couple of significant errors thus far - in my opinion.

1:
He has elected to call the plays.
From what I've seen thus far, I'd be happier if we had a REAL Offensive Coordinator on the side lines calling plays and working up schemes. I don't know what Darrell Bevel actually does, but knowing that he was with Childress at the UW and doesn't have the type of coaching resume noramally associated with an OC, I can only assume he was brought in to fill the slot knowing that he won't rock the boat.

Here's Bevel's bio snap shot from NFL.com:


Darrell Bevell, offensive coordinator; born January 6, 1970, Yuma, Ariz. Quarterback Northern Arizona 1989, Wisconsin 1992-95. No pro playing experience. College coach: Westmar 1996, Iowa State 1997, Connecticut 1998-99. Pro coach: Green Bay Packers 2000-05, joined Vikings in 2006.

His highest ranked position was Quarterbacks Coach with the Packers...not exactly inspiring.
And, with only 10 years of TOTAL coaching experience, unless he's some sort of prodigy, is he ready for this?
And, if he WAS a prodigy, why isn't he calling plays?
It is increasingly my opinion that Bevel was brought in and given an empty title because he would, in essence, be a "Yes" man.

Childress and Wilf are both doing the same thing...and it's a mistake in both cases.
They're both trying to do it THEIR way...all by themselves.
Zygi won't bring in a real GM, and Childress won't bring in a real OC.

2:
He did not actively pursue a better QB or better receivers.
This one I'm willing to slide a bit on because of what he DID actively pursue - a better O-line (At least on the left side) and a better Defense.

Childress has the advantage of being new in his position, but no fan wants to watch their team struggle through the rebuilding process.
Everyone remembers how Gruden won a Superbowl in Tampa Bay his first year there...and everyone wants that (They just don't want their team to immediately suck for the next 6 years after that).

Childress is a conservative guy...that's probably what Zygi likes about him.
It's reflected in his personal life...and in his play calling.
In the latter case, however, it's an extreme liability.
Andy Ried, Childress' former boss, takes risks.
That's why his team has offensive numbers, 4 consecutive trips to the NFC Championship game, and a Superbowl appearance.
Childress needs to hire someone with a more daring approach to the game, someone who will ignite the team, not someone who will blindly nod every time Childress calls another running play on 3rd and 12.

The biggest difference between Tice and Childress is that Tice has no future with the Vikings, Childress does.
I hope that this season will serve as a wake up call to Brad, and that he will recognize his NEED to have a real OC on board.
He'll still call the shots, but let someone else call the plays.

Some might think I'm being anti-Childress.
I'm not.
I'm all for the guy.
But one thing I've noticed about great NFL coaches...they surround themselves with excellent coaches who also go on to be great NFL coaches...and they let them do their jobs.
Chldress will hopefully realize that the best Head Coaches aren't the guys who can call the best plays or create the best schemes, they're the guys who find the guys who can...and let them.

And bring in some real receivers, a real QB, and shore up the Defense.
Tomlin has been brilliant - except versus New England - so lets keep him with a continuous supply of talented people to make his Defense run (Until someone grabs him to be THEIR Head Coach...sometime in the next 3 years most likely).

Caine

this is what i have a problem with because thats the role childress played in philly


And perhaps by calling the plays here, he wants to prove a point & show Reid that he can be successful calling plays & winning as in "See I told you so!"

IMO, It's an ego thing.

The problem is, it isn't working. As I said much earlier in the season, there's a reason Reid didn't let Childress call the plays & I think we are finding out why.

jmmcgorman
11-03-2006, 11:01 PM
The only reason our offense had anything going was not Mike Tice, Try Linehan.
As soon as linehan left the dolphins all of a sudden they suck.


Also take a look at the Washington Redskins.
Their coordinator is Al Saunders, who used to be the O-Coordinator for the Chiefs who had the #1 Offense in the league many times. They have a lot of talent at offense, but their playbook is over 700 pages.
It takes time to learn the sweet spots of each individual play.

It takes time with new coaches, new systems, wide receivers that can't catch (Whoops did i say that out loud?) When those things settle, the offense will be restored.
Talking about mike tice and his heart is the furthest thing from what this vikings team needs.


To be honest, having a winning record at this point is very good considering all of the new things in place.
We didn't just replace a head coach, your talking every single coach on the team.
Everyone is new.

I am incredibly impatient as well, but give it time.

VikemanX84
11-04-2006, 12:26 AM
I don't think this team had an identity with Mike Tice.
I think all the players liked to play the game and so their Identity was try to win.
Thats not a very good ID.
With Childress this team is trying to being an identity that is tough, physical, football with little to mistakes.


Right now we haven't lived up to that Identity and I don't think that Childress fosters a real love for the game like Tice did.
Tice was a great guy and I was sad to see him leave the Vikings organization but he just wasn't there as a Head Coach.

I think what Childress is lacking is a guy like Tice on his coaching staff.
I think our guys are too worried about not mistakes to worry about making plays.
It just doesn't look like their having as much fun as they looked like they were with Mike Tice.


Jury is still out on Childress.
I'm not a fan him right now but I'm saying we should get rid of him either.

olson_10
11-04-2006, 03:38 AM
"VikemanX84" wrote:


I don't think this team had an identity with Mike Tice.
I think all the players liked to play the game and so their Identity was try to win.
Thats not a very good ID.
With Childress this team is trying to being an identity that is tough, physical, football with little to mistakes.


Right now we haven't lived up to that Identity and I don't think that Childress fosters a real love for the game like Tice did.
Tice was a great guy and I was sad to see him leave the Vikings organization but he just wasn't there as a Head Coach.

I think what Childress is lacking is a guy like Tice on his coaching staff.
I think our guys are too worried about not mistakes to worry about making plays.
It just doesn't look like their having as much fun as they looked like they were with Mike Tice.


Jury is still out on Childress.
I'm not a fan him right now but I'm saying we should get rid of him either.

agreed..the only problem is that in our losses we have gotten killed in this aspect..toughness, and physical play starts up front, and weve gotten our asses handed to us at that spot in our losses ..i also agree with the second part i highlighted..i think this offense (playcalling, on field execution) has relied wayyyy too heavily on just trying not to lose the game rather than making an attempt to open it up and make some plays to win us the game..the blame for that doesnt fall on any 1 person, but the entire offense including coaching staff and players

purplehorn
11-04-2006, 10:41 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:



there you go, blame the refs.
Its the refs fault johnson sucked it up.
Its the refs fault no one on defence could stop anyone, its the refs fault we fell behind fast.
Yeah blame the refs, its also the medias fault the vikings lost bad because they gave them respect for once


Great attitude PurpleRide! Johnson is 11-5 sinnce taking over for DC off with his head
::)

BigMoInAZ
11-04-2006, 11:07 PM
"Vikestand" wrote:


Holy Bones! Metro-dump speak ENGLISH....
I attempted to use an Ebonics translater and got this in return:

I'll git flamed fo dis, but

Build uh crip like dey gots in Green Bay. Dey had like 15+ yeahrs o' loozin season an' still sold out da crib da whole tyme. Dey had crappy coaches an' team dat whole tyme, az we's awl know.

Green Bay be like 100,000 population. What iz da cities? WAY MO.

Build an outdoor crib an' dey will come.

Build an outdoor crib an' hire another Denny an' we's be right where weze need ta be. The end.

Az fo da thread at hand, like I say, Childress be needin mo than 7 games.
and shit.
::)

singersp
11-05-2006, 05:45 AM
One thing Tice had that Childress didn't was Ted Cotrell

(Ted's sorry ass was not an asset by the way)

What kind of records would Tice have had if Tomlin was his DC?

What would our record be this year if Childress had Cotrell as his DC?

My guess is 0-7 & I'd bet I'm pretty damn close.

CrazyVikingsFan
11-05-2006, 09:52 AM
I dont give a shitt who is coaching this team. We have a winning record right now and we are in the playoff hunt. We may have gotten destroyed by the Patriots but they are the Patriots. I dont care about what childress has and does not have, he has a winning record with my vikings and i dont really care about anything else. Once we dont have a winning record then i will personally start the fire childress campain.

On a side note my Whitmer Panther a number 8 seed in the Region 2 Ohio high school playoffs just nocked off
number 1 seed 10-0 Freemont Ross last night in Freemont. All the way to the state finals baby!

6-KINGS
11-05-2006, 10:08 AM
"RK." wrote:


The only thing that Tice had that Childress doesn't is a pencil behind his ear.
:P


And the extra income from tickets