PDA

View Full Version : Vikes Draft, FA, Cap 2007

SciritaeVike
11-02-2006, 03:57 PM
From the Pioneer Press, I guess we will have quite a bit of money next year to spend on signings.

CASEY: NO ADDED PRESSURE
SHOOTER CHARLEY WALTERS

Next season, when the NFL's salary cap increases from $102 million to $109 million, the Vikings are expected to be in the top five teams for most cap space.

ultravikingfan
11-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Where did you read this?
Link?

Desertvikingfan
11-02-2006, 05:52 PM
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/15906440.htm

No info just the one line. It's way too early to worry about this, but it's nice to know we can build on an already pretty talented team. Buy some recievers maybe?

vike_mike
11-02-2006, 06:02 PM
This is kind of funny.
Most members on here said to me that we didn't need any more WR's at the beginning of the season.
Now look at the post on here.
We don't have any with any above average WR, so we are going to have to draft some.
Let's go after Calvin Johnson, Jarrett Hicks etc.

cogitans
11-02-2006, 06:15 PM
"vike_mike" wrote:

This is kind of funny.
Most members on here said to me that we didn't need any more WR's at the beginning of the season.
We don't have any with any above average WR, so we are going to have to draft some.

I'll admit I were one of those. And I'm not backing down on it yet either.

I think TWill can still come around. MRob has shown two weeks back that he is a red zone thread.

I'm a bit disapointed in Taylors drops though. I really liked how he played last year, and I'll expect him to improve. Also I'm still disapointed that we don't use Wiggins more over the middle.

Desertvikingfan
11-02-2006, 06:18 PM
This is kind of funny.

Though I started too late to get into that discussion, I probably would have agreed with them. Now not so sure... But if we were to go after a wide receiver I would rather see us use the cap room "buy" a proven receiver than a rookie who needs to 'adjust' to the NFL. Most receivers take a few years (see thread on TWILL) to get it going and make significant contributions.

Prophet
11-02-2006, 06:25 PM
"vike_mike" wrote:

This is kind of funny.

Actually, a lot of members were interested in looking into different WRs.
Just not the headcases that were floating around like Porter.
I have been extremely disappointed in Travis Taylor this year...I was bragging him up to fill in the #1 slot until T-Will got up to snuff.
That has never transpired.
Right now the team appears to have a bunch of #3s.
I still think they can turn it around, especially if they get a decent receivers coach on board to work out the kinks.
One of a plethora of problems on the O right now.

Slade
11-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Hey! Lets add one more # 3 to our roster! Az-Hakim was cut by Detroit last week!

BadlandsVikings
11-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Spend as much as you can as fast as you can.
Just do anything to buy a Superbowl.

singersp
11-28-2006, 07:56 AM
Posted on Tue, Nov. 28, 2006

VIKINGS' SPACE VALUABLE (http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/16111579.htm)

The Vikings are expected to be nearly $35 million under next year's NFL salary cap of $109 million. And if they release several higher-paid veterans, as expected, their salary cap room could increase to more than $45 million next spring.

That would allow the Vikings to buy or trade for a top pass rusher, at least one top offensive lineman and an impact receiver.

A chunk of the Vikings' salary cap space, though, is expected to be used to re-sign defensive tackle Kevin Williams, whose contract is up after the 2007 season.

) It's clear that owner Zygi Wilf, seeking public approval for a new stadium in downtown Minneapolis, will have to make some headline player acquisitions to keep the Vikings relevant and avoid TV blackouts in 2007. It would be the same strategy the NHL's Wild utilized last summer to keep that team a viable buy.

) The Vikings' regular-season Metrodome schedule next year is expected to include Philadelphia, Washington, Oakland and San Diego.

singersp
11-28-2006, 07:59 AM
if they release several higher-paid veterans, as expected, their salary cap room could increase to more than $45 million

That would be Smoot. He's playing decently as of late but far from the value he is getting paid for.

Mr-holland
11-28-2006, 08:38 AM
"cogitans" wrote:

"vike_mike" wrote:

This is kind of funny.

I think TWill can still come around. MRob has shown two weeks back that he is a red zone thread.

I'm a bit disapointed in Taylors drops though. I really liked how he played last year, and I'll expect him to improve. Also I'm still disapointed that we don't use Wiggins more over the middle.

come on, it's week 13 HELLOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
he should've came out weeks ago.. it's stupid to hope that he's gonne catch some balls because you never know maybe he drops 3 in the next game

Prophet
11-28-2006, 08:40 AM
"Mr-holland" wrote:

"cogitans" wrote:

"vike_mike" wrote:

This is kind of funny.

he should've came out weeks ago.. it's stupid to hope that he's gonne catch some balls because you never know maybe he drops 3 in the next game

lmao, he posted that about a month ago.

Marrdro
11-28-2006, 09:15 AM
"Desertvikingfan" wrote:

This is kind of funny.

Though I started too late to get into that discussion, I probably would have agreed with them. Now not so sure... But if we were to go after a wide receiver I would rather see us use the cap room "buy" a proven receiver than a rookie who needs to 'adjust' to the NFL. Most receivers take a few years (see thread on TWILL) to get it going and make significant contributions.

Everything can look good on paper.
I also thought we had a GOOD enough core of receivers for the WC offense.
Loss of Koren, T-will problems etc has shown through actual play what we really have.

I agree, go after a free agent or two for near term and draft a guy for development/longterm.

marcosMN
11-28-2006, 09:46 AM
"vike_mike" wrote:

This is kind of funny.

The WR position can be looked at from a relative point of view. I think a lot of a recievers sucess is dependant on his supporting cast.

The fact is, the only guy on our roster that is a threat is usually in the backfield. McMullen, Bethel, MRob, Travis... These names don't really make a D Coordinator nervous, and really don't draw much safety help. Teams can play some very basic defensive schemes on us, and shut us down.

We need a VIABLE threat. Some go-to guy. Someone that the safties will have to respect on every play.

Oh, and a consistent QB should be a high prority too.
:P

cogitans
11-28-2006, 10:10 AM
"Acumen" wrote:

"Mr-holland" wrote:

"cogitans" wrote:

"vike_mike" wrote:

This is kind of funny.

lmao, he posted that about a month ago.

Correct. It was not week 13 back then

SharperVikings
11-28-2006, 10:15 AM
"SnoBumMN" wrote:

"vike_mike" wrote:

This is kind of funny.

The WR position can be looked at from a relative point of view. I think a lot of a recievers sucess is dependant on his supporting cast.

The fact is, the only guy on our roster that is a threat is usually in the backfield. McMullen, Bethel, MRob, Travis... These names don't really make a D Coordinator nervous, and really don't draw much safety help. Teams can play some very basic defensive schemes on us, and shut us down.

We need a VIABLE threat. Some go-to guy. Someone that the safties will have to respect on every play.

First off, regarding the draft.... We definelty are in need of a reciever, along with a fullback to eventually replace richardson, along with a saftey and a qb.

I say we grab Jarrett in the first, Troy Smith in the second, Samardzjia in the third, Ryan Powdrell in the fourth, Tom Zbikowski in the fifth....

Then for free agency, I'd like to see us cut smoot, and go after nate clements or some other corner.
Then I'd like to see us snag Leonard Davis, OT from the cards.

That would be a very nice offseason!!

snowinapril
11-28-2006, 10:17 AM
I would take the Texan's WRs and the Card's WRs over ours.

WRs wouldn't make a ton of difference in the scheme of things though.
You have to be playing winning football as a team.
Yes, there were some critical drops, but it is only the underbelly of something bigger. ??

With that being said, M-Rob, who is not a speedster, had his guy beat on a few occassions this season (when not injured) but BJ couldn't get him the ball in stride, downfield.

Texans
Moulds
A.Johnson
K.Walters

AZ
Fitzgerald
Boldin
B.Johnson
T.Walters

digital420
11-28-2006, 10:26 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

WRs wouldn't make a ton of difference in the scheme of things though.
You have to be playing winning football as a team.
Yes, there were some critical drops, but it is only the underbelly of something bigger. ??

With that being said, M-Rob, who is not a speedster, had his guy beat on a few occassions this season (when not injured) but BJ couldn't get him the ball in stride, downfield.

Texans
Moulds
A.Johnson
K.Walters

AZ
Fitzgerald
Boldin
B.Johnson
T.Walters

I could live with those 2..

DiGiTaL

Mr. Purple
11-28-2006, 10:36 AM
I hope we have an overhaul at WR during the offseason.I preached and preached about the importance of finding another WR after we lost K-Rob.Now
11 games into the season, they're still dissapointing.Who would have thought M-Rob would be our number 1 guy? Travis Taylor and Troy Williamson have been the two biggest dissapointments for me.The way Williamson is playing, i'm gonna have to change my screen name on here not before to long.I'd like to see us go out and get a atleast 2 solid acqusitions this offseason in FA.Then I'd like us to get a atleast 2 more via draft.

Zeus
11-28-2006, 10:43 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

I don't think there's a team in the NFL outside of the Colts who wouldn't take Fitzgerald and Bolden over whoever their top 2 receivers are.

=Z=

snowinapril
11-28-2006, 10:45 AM
"singersp" wrote:

VIKINGS' SPACE VALUABLE (http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/16111579.htm)

The Vikings are expected to be nearly $35 million under next year's NFL salary cap of $109 million. And if they release several higher-paid veterans, as expected, their salary cap room could increase to more than $45 million next spring.

That would allow the Vikings to buy or trade for a top pass rusher, at least one top offensive lineman and an impact receiver.

A chunk of the Vikings' salary cap space, though, is expected to be used to re-sign defensive tackle Kevin Williams, whose contract is up after the 2007 season.

) It's clear that owner Zygi Wilf, seeking public approval for a new stadium in downtown Minneapolis, will have to make some headline player acquisitions to keep the Vikings relevant and avoid TV blackouts in 2007. It would be the same strategy the NHL's Wild utilized last summer to keep that team a viable buy.

) The Vikings' regular-season Metrodome schedule next year is expected to include Philadelphia, Washington, Oakland and San Diego.

Another FA guy that would get people in the stands, would be nice.

It has to be a prime position player.
I could name some, but they would only get boo'd of this thread.

cajunvike
11-28-2006, 10:47 AM
"SnoBumMN" wrote:

"vike_mike" wrote:

This is kind of funny.

Not taking Brees is looking pretty bad right about now!

cajunvike
11-28-2006, 10:48 AM
Let's get a $100 million RIGHT SIDE of the OL to match the left side!
LOL

Zeus
11-28-2006, 10:49 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

The Vikings were NEVER in the market for Brees.
Why even suggest that now?

=Z=

whackthepack
11-28-2006, 11:16 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"SnoBumMN" wrote:

"vike_mike" wrote:

This is kind of funny.

The Vikes were never in the Brees running and at the time Brees agreed to a contract with the Saint's the Vikes still had Daunte and Brad.

Marrdro
11-28-2006, 11:17 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

I agree with a prime time player, however, for his hands and not the need for getting ziggly butts in the stands doesn't seem to be an issue.
I don't live in MN anymore but can still remember blackout games.
When was the last time you saw that?

whackthepack
11-28-2006, 11:18 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Gee let me guess!
Does he play on the west coast and his initials are RM! ::)

cajunvike
11-28-2006, 11:19 AM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

=Z=

The Vikes probably knew that they were gonna have to ditch Pep...San Diego didn't have any problems ditching Brees, now did they...it wouldn't have been too hard to dump Pep after we got Brees either!

cajunvike
11-28-2006, 11:27 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Gee let me guess!
Does he play on the west coast and his initials are RM! ::)

It depends.
Did Randall McDaniel come out of retirement and is he playing on the West Coast now?
:D

whackthepack
11-28-2006, 11:32 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"AWZeus" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

=Z=

The Vikes probably knew that they were gonna have to ditch Pep...San Diego didn't have any problems ditching Brees, now did they...it wouldn't have been too hard to dump Pep after we got Brees either!

Cajun I am just stating that Brees was never a consideration this off season because we had a backup 14 year veteran and a starting QB with a knee injury, the Vikes never looked at Brees because of his shoulder injury and becuase the situation with Daunte was still on going.

spunk_goblin
11-28-2006, 12:15 PM
So who are the big earners that might get released at the end of the season? Does anybody know who's contract is up?

vikes2456
11-28-2006, 12:47 PM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

I hope we have an overhaul at WR during the offseason.I preached and preached about the importance of finding another WR after we lost K-Rob.Now
11 games into the season, they're still dissapointing.Who would have thought M-Rob would be our number 1 guy? Travis Taylor and Troy Williamson have been the two biggest dissapointments for me.The way Williamson is playing, i'm gonna have to change my screen name on here not before to long.I'd like to see us go out and get a atleast 2 solid acqusitions this offseason in FA.Then I'd like us to get a atleast 2 more via draft.

I was actually wondering if you were going to keep your name or not. But hell I think Cullpeppertomoss, mesnatice, and Hovan are all still around.

As regards to the blackouts, how likely are they, and is the team actually losing support in Minnesota? I live in New Jersey so I'm not sure, but I was under the impression that we have some of the most loyal fans around the NFL. I got this from an espn special about fans around two years ago, and the Colts coach was complaining that his team makes the playoffs nearly every year, yet they don't (at the time) consistently sell out, while teams who had been performing below par (they specifically mentioned the Vikes) do.

As for the off season, I've been saying for awhile that we need to go all out this off season, with some good pick ups this team can be a super bowl contender.

Zeus
11-28-2006, 01:00 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

I agree with a prime time player, however, for his hands and not the need for getting ziggly butts in the stands doesn't seem to be an issue.

The reason you don't see blackouts of the Vikes games is that local businesses buy up HUGE amounts of tickets to guarantee a sell-out so the games are on TV.
My guess would be that Best Buy (who "sponsored" the game) bought a boatload of the tickets for last week.
There were thousands of empty seats.

=Z=

singersp
11-28-2006, 02:58 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

The reason you don't see blackouts of the Vikes games is that local businesses buy up HUGE amounts of tickets to guarantee a sell-out so the games are on TV.
My guess would be that Best Buy (who "sponsored" the game) bought a boatload of the tickets for last week.

=Z=

I'm not sure what the stadium holds, but the attendance was 63,000+. There was definitely hundreds of empty seats & I see it getting worse next year.

The tickets being sold on eBay didn't even bring face value for most of the games starting with the home opener against Carolina unless they were premium seats. The only exception was the Bears & Packers game. Even when we were 4-0.

That decline in price will prompt several season ticket holders that sell the games they don't go to & those who buy season tickets just to sell them for profit not to renew their season tickets. They will not take that kind of beating.

The season tickets waiting list is alread at zero & I expect ticket sales to decline even further.

I usually upgrade my seats & sell my regular seats & I took a beating this year. For example a pair af tix for the Cardinals game valued at $134 sold for $39.50.

IMO it won't get better until you see a more potent offense

whackthepack
11-28-2006, 04:19 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

=Z=

They don't do that anymore, it used to be Pillsbury that bought out the remaining seats if they were more than 95% sold out but that agreement ended back in the mid 90's and then we saw a few blackouts until the team became really good in 1997 and 1998.

But there are no formal agreements to keep games from being blacked out anymore.

tampaviking
11-28-2006, 06:59 PM
if the bucs can avoid a blackout, anybody can. on the cap room i would like to get
samuel from the pats and furrey from the lions.

MplsViking
11-28-2006, 07:46 PM
Well if we're talking about this, who do you guys think realistically we can get next offseason.
I know he's not a free agent for a while, but I'm really hoping when Larry Fitzgerald becomes a free agent he decides to come to the vikings, because he would look REAL GOOD IN PURPLE :)

C Mac D
11-29-2006, 01:09 AM
I know we are "still in it" at 5-6, but lets face it, we're not winning the superbowl. We need a lot of improvement on offense and our secondary could probably use a boost. Any thoughts on off season moves and draft picks?

snowinapril
11-29-2006, 01:26 AM
You might want to check this thread out.

It is a little early to talk full blown draft, but there is a lot of offseason ideas to be discussed in this thread on the cap.

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=150&topic=28792.0

Bretto
11-29-2006, 01:59 AM
My priority list might look a little different from most people but here it goes.

#1 TE
I actually think we could really use another pass catching tight end.
Alot of teams have been grabbing up tight ends in the early rounds the last couple years.
Imagine if we had another tight end who could catch like wiggins but also had more speed and quickness for some explosive plays and more yards after the catch.

There should be some options this offseason for example, I believe Eric Johnson of the 49ers will be a FA after this season and I would love for the vikes to get Matt Spaeth of the Gophers.
http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=38606&SPID=3280&DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=260971&Q_SEASON=2006

#2 OL
Who knows how cook is going to turn out at this point.
I say you draft an OL guy in the early rounds.
I would lean towards getting a RT and moving Johnson to RG.
If the coaching staff really likes cook then draft a RG.

#3 WR
WR is an obvious one.
Unless we trade up and grab one of the top receivers in the draft, I say you pick one up in FA and draft a size receiver in a later round.
Marcus Robinson is one of our best redzone threats and we hurt when he is not out there.
Drew bennett has been mentioned as a FA this offseason.
I believe Travis Taylor is a FA after this season?

#4 DT
Lets face it the williams aren't getting any younger, and if one of them were to get injured for a significant amount of time we would be screwed.
Lets grab a good prospect and start grooming him right away.

#5 DB
#6 LB
#7 RB

I did this just for fun so please don't confuse this with actually football knowledge. :)

skum
11-29-2006, 08:22 AM
But can Matt Speath, spread the field?? - I dont think so.. NFL DraftScout says its a negative that he's so big - so he's more than a short-area target - which we already have in Wiggins.. - We should take a look at Georgia TE, Martrez Milner - Who was fallen in the rankings - due to some drops the last few games.. But has stepped it up in the end of the season, He one of the quicker TE's and should be availeble on day 2 of the Draft..

Also take a look at Florida WR Dallas Baker - Huge impact guy for the Florida Gators - They call him Dallas Baker "The Touchdown Maker".. He should also be availible on day 2..

Of course first round needs would be WR - And we should have a look at Dwayne Jarrett.. Look at this catch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0Z05eceo5s - Top 15 pick..

Or we could have a look at OG/T - Justin Blalock - if Dwayne Jarrett is out of reach
He could play Guard instead of Artis Hicks..

One of my favorite seniors coming into the draft - is OLB Tony Taylor for the Georgia Bulldogs, i would love if they drafted him too.. He's a guy that gives 200% evertime on the field.. Strong linebacker can stuff runningbacks, but also have very good hands - in which he can grab the interception back in coverage - i think he will be a good fit in cover 2.

Also theres a 6'6 WR coming out of Michigan State, Matt Trannon.. I dont know much about him.. But 6'6 looks intimidating..

Runningback Michael Bush - a biiig guy 248 lbs out of
Louisville will drop the the 2nd round due to a broken leg injury this season... Might be a goal-line guy in the NFL, but can also carry the ball as the #2/#3 runningback, we could use something like that

1. Dwayne Jarrett
2. Michael Bush
3. Dallas Baker
4. Martrez Milner
5. Tony Taylor

DREAM SCENARIO for me!! :)

Interesting Free Agents:
http://www.theredzone.org/2007/freeagents/

RB's:
Betts, Ladell
UFA
Redskins
Brown, Chris UFA Titans
Dayne, Ron
UFA
Texans
Green, Ahman
UFA
Packers
Morris, Sammy
UFA
Dolphins
Turner, Michael
RFA
Chargers
Rhodes, Dominic
UFA
Colts

Given that Michael Turner is RFA, i dont really want to give up anything for him.. But he's a big time runningback, burried behind Tomlinson.

We sad Ladell Betts do nothing against us in the opener, but he's still an interesting name, that is getting starts in the NFL and experience due to Portis missing

WR:
Bennett, Drew
UFA
Titans
Brown, Troy UFA Patriots
Curtis, Kevin
UFA
Rams
Moulds, Eric
UFA
Texans
Northcutt, Dennis
UFA
Browns
Washington, Kelley
UFA
Bengals
Whitted, Alvis
UFA
Raiders

No really big name guys here, Troy Brown i think will resign one year with the Patriots..

The others are mediocore recievers at best..
But still i would like us to lock up Kevin Curtis from the Rams or veteran presence in Eric Moulds.

TE's:
Johnson, Eric
UFA
49ers
Graham, Daniel
UFA
Patriots
Utecht, Ben
RFA
Colts

Not much in this group..

Eric Johnson is my #1 here, as the others might be the result of amazing QB's throwing the ball to them..

OT's
Davis, Leonard
UFA
Cardinals
McIntosh, Damion
UFA
Dolphins
Starks, Max
RFA
Steelers

We already talked about Davis.. Damion McIntosh is a big guy, but really more of a LT guy..

Max Starks is a big time tackle in the NFL.. He will be hard to get out of Pitts..

OG's:
Fonoti, Toniu
UFA
Dolphins
Gray, Chris
UFA
Seahawks

Really a shame we didnt have Fonoti play L or RG for us this season, Chris Gray is another Guard who can play at elite level.. Has age though..

DT's:

Fisk, Jason
UFA
Rams
Holliday, Vonnie
UFA
Dolphins
Johnson, Tank
RFA
Bears
Klecko, Dan
UFA
Colts
Smith, Robaire
UFA
Titans
Zgonina, Jeff
UFA
Dolphins
Traylor, Keith
UFA
Dolphins

Jason Fisk is only in here because Fisk means FISH in danish, so he has a cool name :>

We might need some depth at the D-tackle position, so theres some guys right here.. Some of them might want to start and wouldnt be worth talking to.

CB's:
Clements, Nate
UFA
Bills
Gay, Randall
RFA
Patriots
Manning, Jr., Ricky
UFA
Bears
Samuel, Asante
UFA
Patriots
Macklin, David UFA Cardinals

We are going to need where good depth here, with people going to spread is out so much..

Nate Clements is a big time guy of course.. So is SAmuel.. the Rest could play Nickelback..

LB's:
Banta-Cain, Tully
UFA
Patriots
Beisel, Monty
UFA
Cardinals
Briggs, Lance
UFA
Bears
Fletcher-Baker, London
UFA
Bills
Huff, Orlando
UFA
Cardinals
June, Cato
UFA
Colts
Kacyvenski, Isaiah UFA Rams
Newman, Keith
UFA
Dolphins!!!
Seau, Junior
UFA
Patriots
Thomas, Adalius
UFA
Ravens

Thomas, June and Briggs.. lock one of them up and i will be happy..

Other big name guys out of "need"
Lewis, Michael
UFA
Eagles
Huard, Damon
UFA
Chiefs
Schaub, Matt
RFA
Falcons
Simms, Chris UFA Buccaneers
Tobeck, Robbie
UFA
Seahawks
Allen, Jared
RFA
Chiefs
Gbaja-Biamila, Kabeer
UFA
Packers
Little, Leonard
UFA
Rams
And although he is not on that list. Dwight Freeney might be a FA too..

tjohnson
11-29-2006, 08:36 AM
"tampaviking" wrote:

if the bucs can avoid a blackout, anybody can. on the cap room i would like to get
samuel from the pats and furrey from the lions.

samuel is nothing special, best case scenario for the pats he'd be their 3rd CB. injuries have forced him to #1, but he's not a #1 corner

cogitans
11-29-2006, 08:36 AM
Nice breakdown skum.

I'll be looking forward to your insight into the draftclass in the offseason

Zeus
11-29-2006, 08:47 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"AWZeus" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

=Z=

They don't do that anymore, it used to be Pillsbury that bought out the remaining seats if they were more than 95% sold out but that agreement ended back in the mid 90's and then we saw a few blackouts until the team became really good in 1997 and 1998.

But there are no formal agreements to keep games from being blacked out anymore.

I doubt there are formal agreements.
But I don't doubt for one single second that Zygi Wilf (or his representatives) have Best Buy/Target/3M/General Mills/etc. executives on the speed-dial when it looks like a game isn't going to be sold-out on a Tuesday.

=Z=

Marrdro
11-29-2006, 10:37 AM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

=Z=

Send a couple my way.
I'll fly up again.
;D

Zeus
11-29-2006, 02:01 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"AWZeus" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

=Z=

Send a couple my way.
I'll fly up again.
;D

I actually had an extra ticket for this past weekend's game, as I ended up in the Terrace Suite with my buddy Eric.

=Z=

VikesFan787
12-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Anyone hear the rumor that Minnesota could acquire Larry Fitzgerald next year. especially if Denny Green is cut???? ???

Prophet
12-01-2006, 08:58 AM
It was reported in various rumor mills.
At this point it holds as much truth as the ballboy saying the team is moving to Rhode Island.

VikesFan787
12-01-2006, 09:01 AM
I read it on www.foxsports.com/nfl but you have to be a member or someting to read the whole story.

Prophet
12-01-2006, 09:05 AM
I saw it there too a day or so ago under the section 'hot rumors'.
They added that section about two years after Florio's site gained credibility with the pundits but they don't have near the insider connections so I have yet to see many credible statements come out of these rumors unless it has already become fairly common knowledge.

VikesFan787
12-01-2006, 09:08 AM
I woudn't mind adding him to the team though.

singersp
12-01-2006, 09:09 AM
"Acumen" wrote:

At this point it holds as much truth as the ballboy saying the team is moving to Rhode Island.

??? Fitzgerald was the Vikings ball boy.
;)
;D

skum
12-01-2006, 09:10 AM
It was just named the the Vikings would be stupid not to try and get him.. Not that we planned to make a move or anything..

PurplePride80
12-01-2006, 09:13 AM
I seriously doubt it happens, but it would be great if we added Larry Fitzgerald.

It's just what we need, a true number 1 WR to build our offense around.

VikesFan787
12-01-2006, 09:17 AM
AMEN PURPLE PRIDE!!!!!!!!!

whackthepack
12-01-2006, 09:20 AM
What would you be willing to give up to get him, realistically.

They aren't going to take Fred Smoot and Troy Williamson for him.

VikingDawg
12-01-2006, 09:31 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

I would give up those two in a heart beat and a second rounder...Both Smooth because of his contract and Williamson because he can't catch are expendable at this point, and maybe worthwhile to another team

happy camper
12-01-2006, 09:35 AM
question

why would arizona be shopping him around?

cyviking
12-01-2006, 09:39 AM
I would give our 1st round pick
I would give MeMO
I would give whatever reciever(s) they want within reason
And I would give eour second round pick if it was required.
I would also be willing to get rid of Bryant McKinnie.

Of course they would have to pick and choose what of that they want within reason not all of it because i dont want another hershal walker deal but at this point im willing to trade a lot for a real good reciever.

I would not give any of our D at all unless they would take Smoot.

PurplePride80
12-01-2006, 09:41 AM
"cyviking" wrote:

I would also be willing to get rid of Bryant McKinnie.

:o

Prophet
12-01-2006, 09:44 AM
If the price is right there isn't a player on the team that isn't replaceable.
I wonder if there is another team as stupid as that one team that gave all those picks for Hershel Walker a few years back.
Find a team like that and make some deals.

thatvikingGroove
12-01-2006, 09:45 AM
I believe McKinnie signed a contract extension very recently?

OchoCinco
12-01-2006, 09:45 AM
I think the media like to start these rumors because he has so many ties to Minnesota, I think it's just that...a rumor. We should be more worried about getting a CB or a Linebacker since free agent WR's are weak this year. How about an Ex-Buffalo tandum of Winfield and Nate Clements...stealing Lance Briggs from Chitown...or Baltimore stud Adalius Thomas..... Wilf ....show me the money.

whackthepack
12-01-2006, 09:52 AM
"VikingDawg" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

I would give up those two in a heart beat and a second rounder...Both Smooth because of his contract and Williamson because he can't catch are expendable at this point, and maybe worthwhile to another team

realistically!

AZ will not take Smoot and Williamson (2 players we have benched) for one of the best young receivers in the game.

snowinapril
12-01-2006, 10:38 AM
"happy" wrote:

question

why would arizona be shopping him around?

Normally, with the cards, the player would be looking to get out.

Normally, I would say, give it a few years and he will be begging.

But, if Lienert comes around, I can see things getting better.
So what I am saying is he is going to want to stay.

PurplePeopleEaters
12-01-2006, 11:02 AM
I think they would go for it if we were able to offer enough. That being said enough would be a lot. See, if they could get some bulk up at other positions that they desperately need and another draft pick to help rebuild, I think that they might go for the trade.

Anyways. They already have Boldin and Johnson..

But probably not going to happen. They have too many promising young players there to give up on Fitzgerald randomly.

cogitans
12-01-2006, 11:07 AM
As I read this 'hot rumor' I think it looks like some 'insider' that is a little too smart by saying: The Vikings could use a good reciever, like Fitzgerald, who has ties to Minnesota as we all heard. They should try and go for that.

There is no reason to believe that our front office guys have even considerd aquiering about him, other than that they allways look at everyone as Speilman usually puts it.

1800CULPEPPER
12-01-2006, 11:16 AM
I think adding Gerald Fitzlarry would be a great move. I just don't want to think what they would want for him. They would be stupid to give him up for anyone on our offence. We can't get rid of any defence, except for party boy Smoot. We would be lucky to get Gerald Fitzlarry's topps card for him.

PurplePeopleEaters
12-01-2006, 11:31 AM
"Irwin" wrote:

I think adding Gerald Fitzlarry would be a great move. I just don't want to think what they would want for him. They would be stupid to give him up for anyone on our offence. We can't get rid of any defence, except for party boy Smoot. We would be lucky to get Gerald Fitzlarry's topps card for him.

Gerald Fitzlarry? Hahhaa wtf.
???

VKG4LFE
12-01-2006, 11:37 AM
"VikesFan787" wrote:

Anyone hear the rumor that Minnesota could acquire Larry Fitzgerald next year. especially if Denny Green is cut???? ???

That would be awesome!! He is a stud. So is Boldin. I think AZ would be stupid to get rid of either one of those guys!! But I'll take Fitzgerald!

snowinapril
12-01-2006, 11:43 AM
This is like saying we might Lose Randy Moss in a trade.
Oh wait a minute, we did.
It could happen but the chances are slim without some reasoning.

Why would a team get rid of their best WR? He isn't a thorn in anyones side in AZ.
A smart org might try for the 2 for one or 3 for one trade to improve areas of the team and relieve cap room, but why?

Keep Dream'n people.
I would love it if he came to MN but.......

1800CULPEPPER
12-01-2006, 11:44 AM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

"Irwin" wrote:

Gerald Fitzlarry? Hahhaa wtf.
???

Sounds like a Gay porn movie title.
We have been calling him that for some reason. When Nebraska beat Pitt. a few years ago. Probably came up with it when we were a few sheets to the wind, while watching that game.

VKG4LFE
12-01-2006, 11:50 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

This is like saying we might Lose Randy Moss in a trade.
Oh wait a minute, we did.
It could happen but the chances are slim without some reasoning.

Why would a team get rid of their best WR? He isn't a thorn in anyones side in AZ.
A smart org might try for the 2 for one or 3 for one trade to improve areas of the team and relieve cap room, but why?Keep Dream'n people.
I would love it if he came to MN but.......

Good points you make SIA. If if's and but's were candy and nuts.... right!

ChezPizmo
12-01-2006, 11:59 AM
"Acumen" wrote:

The Cardinals are moving to RHODE ISLAND?!!

whackthepack
12-01-2006, 12:03 PM
"ChezPizmo" wrote:

"Acumen" wrote:

The Cardinals are moving to RHODE ISLAND?!!

The ballboy said it, it has to be true!

VKG4LFE
12-01-2006, 03:36 PM
I just read on the first page of this thread saying that the vikes are estimated to be 35 mil under the cap next year! Dang, we can get some good help with that money!

thanatoschristou
12-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Anyone know where a list of FA WR is so I have an idea of possible replacements for are crap corp.

cogitans
12-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Here you are:

lakehubertviking
12-06-2006, 01:17 PM
It's sad, looking at that list some of the "good" ones are already Vikings.

snowinapril
12-06-2006, 01:26 PM
"skum" wrote:

But can Matt Speath, spread the field?? - I dont think so.. NFL DraftScout says its a negative that he's so big - so he's more than a short-area target - which we already have in Wiggins.. - We should take a look at Georgia TE, Martrez Milner - Who was fallen in the rankings - due to some drops the last few games.. But has stepped it up in the end of the season, He one of the quicker TE's and should be availeble on day 2 of the Draft..

Also take a look at Florida WR Dallas Baker - Huge impact guy for the Florida Gators - They call him Dallas Baker "The Touchdown Maker".. He should also be availible on day 2..

Of course first round needs would be WR - And we should have a look at Dwayne Jarrett.. Look at this catch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0Z05eceo5s - Top 15 pick..

Or we could have a look at OG/T - Justin Blalock - if Dwayne Jarrett is out of reach
He could play Guard instead of Artis Hicks..

One of my favorite seniors coming into the draft - is OLB Tony Taylor for the Georgia Bulldogs, i would love if they drafted him too.. He's a guy that gives 200% evertime on the field.. Strong linebacker can stuff runningbacks, but also have very good hands - in which he can grab the interception back in coverage - i think he will be a good fit in cover 2.

Also theres a 6'6 WR coming out of Michigan State, Matt Trannon.. I dont know much about him.. But 6'6 looks intimidating..

Runningback Michael Bush - a biiig guy 248 lbs out of
Louisville will drop the the 2nd round due to a broken leg injury this season... Might be a goal-line guy in the NFL, but can also carry the ball as the #2/#3 runningback, we could use something like that

1. Dwayne Jarrett
2. Michael Bush
3. Dallas Baker
4. Martrez Milner
5. Tony Taylor

DREAM SCENARIO for me!! :)

Interesting Free Agents:

RB's:
Betts, Ladell
UFA
Redskins
Brown, Chris UFA Titans
Dayne, Ron
UFA
Texans
Green, Ahman
UFA
Packers
Morris, Sammy
UFA
Dolphins
Turner, Michael
RFA
Chargers
Rhodes, Dominic
UFA
Colts

Given that Michael Turner is RFA, i dont really want to give up anything for him.. But he's a big time runningback, burried behind Tomlinson.

We sad Ladell Betts do nothing against us in the opener, but he's still an interesting name, that is getting starts in the NFL and experience due to Portis missing

WR:
Bennett, Drew
UFA
Titans
Brown, Troy UFA Patriots
Curtis, Kevin
UFA
Rams
Moulds, Eric
UFA
Texans
Northcutt, Dennis
UFA
Browns
Washington, Kelley
UFA
Bengals
Whitted, Alvis
UFA
Raiders

No really big name guys here, Troy Brown i think will resign one year with the Patriots..

The others are mediocore recievers at best..
But still i would like us to lock up Kevin Curtis from the Rams or veteran presence in Eric Moulds.

TE's:
Johnson, Eric
UFA
49ers
Graham, Daniel
UFA
Patriots
Utecht, Ben
RFA
Colts

Not much in this group..

Eric Johnson is my #1 here, as the others might be the result of amazing QB's throwing the ball to them..

OT's
Davis, Leonard
UFA
Cardinals
McIntosh, Damion
UFA
Dolphins
Starks, Max
RFA
Steelers

We already talked about Davis.. Damion McIntosh is a big guy, but really more of a LT guy..

Max Starks is a big time tackle in the NFL.. He will be hard to get out of Pitts..

OG's:
Fonoti, Toniu
UFA
Dolphins
Gray, Chris
UFA
Seahawks

Really a shame we didnt have Fonoti play L or RG for us this season, Chris Gray is another Guard who can play at elite level.. Has age though..

DT's:

Fisk, Jason
UFA
Rams
Holliday, Vonnie
UFA
Dolphins
Johnson, Tank
RFA
Bears
Klecko, Dan
UFA
Colts
Smith, Robaire
UFA
Titans
Zgonina, Jeff
UFA
Dolphins
Traylor, Keith
UFA
Dolphins

Jason Fisk is only in here because Fisk means FISH in danish, so he has a cool name :>

We might need some depth at the D-tackle position, so theres some guys right here.. Some of them might want to start and wouldnt be worth talking to.

CB's:
Clements, Nate
UFA
Bills
***, Randall
RFA
Patriots
Manning, Jr., Ricky
UFA
Bears
Samuel, Asante
UFA
Patriots
Macklin, David UFA Cardinals

We are going to need where good depth here, with people going to spread is out so much..

Nate Clements is a big time guy of course.. So is SAmuel.. the Rest could play Nickelback..

LB's:
Banta-Cain, Tully
UFA
Patriots
Beisel, Monty
UFA
Cardinals
Briggs, Lance
UFA
Bears
Fletcher-Baker, London
UFA
Bills
Huff, Orlando
UFA
Cardinals
June, Cato
UFA
Colts
Kacyvenski, Isaiah UFA Rams
Newman, Keith
UFA
Dolphins!!!
Seau, Junior
UFA
Patriots
Thomas, Adalius
UFA
Ravens

Thomas, June and Briggs.. lock one of them up and i will be happy..

Other big name guys out of "need"
Lewis, Michael
UFA
Eagles
Huard, Damon
UFA
Chiefs
Schaub, Matt
RFA
Falcons
Simms, Chris UFA Buccaneers
Tobeck, Robbie
UFA
Seahawks
Allen, Jared
RFA
Chiefs
Gbaja-Biamila, Kabeer
UFA
Packers
Little, Leonard
UFA
Rams
And although he is not on that list. Dwight Freeney might be a FA too..

Lots of good info in this thread.

Bump and Merge

snowinapril
12-06-2006, 01:32 PM
"cogitans" wrote:

Here you are:

Bump

snowinapril
12-06-2006, 01:33 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Bump

V-Unit
12-06-2006, 01:42 PM
High paid veterans... Smoot?, who else could we possibly release?

Money to spend is always a good thing though.

Bretto
12-06-2006, 07:47 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

Harris and Henderson are both FA after this year I believe.
I just don't see us keeping both of them long term.
I don't see us keeping Jimmy K after this year either.

The Larry Fitz rumors remind me of all the Chris Weinke rumors that he was going to sign over from the Panthers to the Vikings last season which never happened of course.
The sports writers were pushing it so hard because Chris grew up in Saint Paul.

FreakinVikingsBaby
12-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Did you say they're expected to play the Eagles? Ohhhhhh please beat them. There would be nothing sweeter than to walk around philly the next week rockin purple pride. Washington would be good to beat too because all my friends are redskins fans. Also, I know people are gonna be like oh god here we go again, but I'd be really excited to see randy back in the metrodome again.

V-Unit
12-07-2006, 12:45 PM
"Bretto" wrote:

"V-Unit" wrote:

The Larry Fitz rumors remind me of all the Chris Weinke rumors that he was going to sign over from the Panthers to the Vikings last season which never happened of course.

From my understanding, the projected 35 million figure already takes into account the Vikings FAs. Release would mean cutting a player who is signed on for at least another year after this one. So if we were to resign Harris and Henderson, that number would come back down and make less space to sign other FAs. There is a difference between releasing a player and letting him walk.

Bretto
12-07-2006, 05:52 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

"Bretto" wrote:

"V-Unit" wrote:

From my understanding, the projected 35 million figure already takes into account the Vikings FAs. Release would mean cutting a player who is signed on for at least another year after this one. So if we were to resign Harris and Henderson, that number would come back down and make less space to sign other FAs. There is a difference between releasing a player and letting him walk.

Good point my fellow viking fan.
How is the weather in Ghana btw?

PurplePeopleEaters
12-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Here's how it goes IMO. In order for us to be legitimate contenders next year we need:

1. First and foremost, a good or better wide receiver. No more average wide receivers. The ones that interest me the most are Drew Bennett, Kevin Curtis, and Troy Brown. If we could pick up two out of those three we would have some decent players in the corps. Marcus Robinson, Troy Williamson, Drew Bennett, and Dwyane Jarrett sounds nice to me

2. A good to great offensive lineman or two. The first round has a lot of them but I would rather go FA for offensive lineman.

3. A great cornerback. A lot on the FA list. Trade smoot away for a 3rd rounder or a starter o-lineman and grab Clements or Ricky Manning jr. Winfield, Clements and Griffin (with a few more FA's or rookie's for depth along with Edwards) sounds GREAT to me.

4. A stud defensive end. Sorry Udeze, but you're not getting us anywhere. Package smoot and udeze in a deal for a wide receiver? Pat and Kevin are great, but we just don't have the rush from the edges like teams need. Erasmus looks like he could be good coming off of the injury and Edwards is a good pass rush down end but aside from that our DE's are terrible.

5. Barring the re-signing of Henderson/Harris, a new OLB. Cato June would look mighty good in purple. I just don't feel like giving up on these young LB's quite yet, especially with an unproven Greenway coming off of injury.

6. A backup DT. Pat is getting up there. Look towards the future. Draft maybe?

7. A backup QB. Veteran or Draft. Huard would be fine with me. That way if TJ/Bollinger don't pan out we always have a reliable guy who can carry us.

A good draft would be something like this.

1. WR, Jarrett
2. OT, Joe Staley
3. WR, Aundrae Allison
4. DT, David patterson
5. CB, John Talley

jdxdn99
12-07-2006, 07:20 PM
I don't know if their are any UT Vols fans here but WR Robert Meachem would be my first choice for a wide receiver in the draft.
This guy makes hard catches breaks tackles and can make big plays after the catch.

Bretto
12-07-2006, 07:59 PM

Here's how it goes IMO. In order for us to be legitimate contenders next year we need:

1. First and foremost, a good or better wide receiver. No more average wide receivers. The ones that interest me the most are Drew Bennett, Kevin Curtis, and Troy Brown. If we could pick up two out of those three we would have some decent players in the corps. Marcus Robinson, Troy Williamson, Drew Bennett, and Dwyane Jarrett sounds nice to me

2. A good to great offensive lineman or two. The first round has a lot of them but I would rather go FA for offensive lineman.

3. A great cornerback. A lot on the FA list. Trade smoot away for a 3rd rounder or a starter o-lineman and grab Clements or Ricky Manning jr. Winfield, Clements and Griffin (with a few more FA's or rookie's for depth along with Edwards) sounds GREAT to me.

4. A stud defensive end. Sorry Udeze, but you're not getting us anywhere. Package smoot and udeze in a deal for a wide receiver? Pat and Kevin are great, but we just don't have the rush from the edges like teams need. Erasmus looks like he could be good coming off of the injury and Edwards is a good pass rush down end but aside from that our DE's are terrible.

5. Barring the re-signing of Henderson/Harris, a new OLB. Cato June would look mighty good in purple. I just don't feel like giving up on these young LB's quite yet, especially with an unproven Greenway coming off of injury.

7. A backup QB. Veteran or Draft. Huard would be fine with me. That way if TJ/Bollinger don't pan out we always have a reliable guy who can carry us.

1. WR, Jarrett
2. OT, Joe Staley
3. WR, Aundrae Allison
4. DT, David patterson
5. CB, John Talley

Good post.
I like the draft picks.
My choices during FA would be Huard, Kevin Curtis, Clements, and Lance Briggs.

V-Unit
12-08-2006, 11:33 AM
"Bretto" wrote:

1. WR, Jarrett
2. OT, Joe Staley
3. WR, Aundrae Allison
4. DT, David patterson
5. CB, John Talley

Good post.
I like the draft picks.
My choices during FA would be Huard, Kevin Curtis, Clements, and Lance Briggs.

QB should and will be WAY higher than you have it. At least our second if not first priority. Bollinger is not a starter. TJ is not ready, with Childress saying he is a 2-3 year project. Face the facts, we need a QB bad, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if we made a blockbuster trade for one. Going into next season with an unproven starter and questionable
backups is not acceptable. I'm certain that the Vikings starting QB in 2007 is not on the roster right now.

Del Rio
12-08-2006, 11:42 AM
I still think our most pressing need on defense is a solid MLB. Until we have one that can take charge the defense will run into problems.

On offense I would have to say a WR.

MississippiViking
12-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Lance Briggs would make easy transition to the middle.
We really need to sign him if we get the chance.
He is awesome.
Almost as good as Urlacher.

Bretto
12-08-2006, 06:44 PM
I don't think we know enough about Brooks Bollinger to conclude that he can't be a starter in the league.
I say give him the chance. He was picked in the 6th round just like Bulger, Hasselbeck, and Brady.
Having said that I wouldn't mind bringing somone else to compete for the job like Huard or Leftwich.

aceclown
12-08-2006, 06:47 PM
"Bretto" wrote:

I don't think we know enough about Brooks Bollinger to conclude that he can't be a starter in the league.
I say give him the chance. He was picked in the 6th round just like Bulger, Hasselbeck, and Brady.
Having said that I wouldn't mind bringing somone else to compete for the job like Huard or Leftwich.

Did you ever watch him with the Jets last year?
He sucked!
He sucked when he played at Wisconsin, not even sure how he got drafted.

Mr Anderson
12-08-2006, 06:52 PM
"Del" wrote:

I still think our most pressing need on defense is a solid MLB. Until we have one that can take charge the defense will run into problems.

On offense I would have to say a WR.

Not so much a MLB who's gonna make a million tackles, as we need one who can play in coverage.

Napoleon Harris and Dontarrious Thomas are both great athletes with good speed for the position, but are surprisingly bad in coverage.

and obviously WR offense.

Bretto
12-08-2006, 07:02 PM
"aceclown" wrote:

"Bretto" wrote:

Did you ever watch him with the Jets last year?
He sucked!
He sucked when he played at Wisconsin, not even sure how he got drafted.

He actually didn't suck, he put up decent numbers on a terrible team last year.
Besides you just don't write a guy out of the league for playing 11 games in his career.

Gophers senior Matt Spaeth just won the John Mackey Award, given to the nations best tight end.
He was also named first team All-Big Ten for the second year in a row.
I wonder how early he goes in the draft?

mstrabe
12-08-2006, 07:33 PM
I would like to see what Bollinger can do.
I think a lot of the problems with our recivers is the velocity (or lack thereof) on Johnson's passes.
Twill has too much time to think before the ball gets there.
That being said I think Huard would be a good acquisition.
I would also like to pickup Justin Gage off of the Bears.
I get to see all the Bears games (it is punishment for things I have done in my life) and I think he could be good.
Lance Briggs would be outstanding and there might be a chance that he is unhappy with the Bears since they wouldn't redo his contract this fall.
I would love to see Briggs in purple with a chip on his shoulder when we play the Bears.