PDA

View Full Version : SI Predicts Vikings to be a Wild Card Team

Slade
11-01-2006, 02:23 PM
I know its nothing new, but its still pretty good to hear. Predictions are a dime a dozen, but some of the things Banks says is pretty cool.

"Minnesota: The Vikings looked anything but playoff bound against New England, but while the Saints and Panthers bump each other off down the stretch, Minnesota could sneak into the final NFC slot with a 10-win season. The Vikings are 4-1 in the NFC, and have beaten Carolina if it comes down to a tiebreaker. Plus, Minnesota only has two games remaining against teams with winning records, and one of those is against 4-3 St. Louis at home."

cajunvike
11-01-2006, 02:27 PM
And they would be CORRECTAMUNDO!!!

Once we get in, look out!!!

Prophet
11-01-2006, 02:34 PM
As long as they keep improving.
I still have confidence in the Bears folding.

Slade
11-01-2006, 02:38 PM
the 4-1 in the NFC makes me feel better

midgensa
11-01-2006, 02:46 PM
This seems fairly accurate ... and based on the fact that we have St. Louis at home ... it is possible we can run at 8-1 down the stretch ... that looks ridiculous, but could be true. The only real tough game we have left is at Chicago ... so if we run at 7-1 or 6-2 in the other games we should get to 10 wins ... I don't even think 12 wins is impossible ... so hold out hope for more than just a wild card! With some help from the Giants and Patsies against the Bears we may control our fate when we square off with them.

C-PepNSalt
11-01-2006, 02:48 PM
atleast 2 tough games remaining, at chicago, and at lamblow...it's never an easy victory at the packers lair.

petrodemos
11-01-2006, 02:52 PM
st. louis is going to light it up. we can never seem to beat them.

it does help that our loses are against two afc teams and a team we get to try and pull even with (unlikely)

but the fact remains:
atlanta or new orleans will be fighting for their division and i think its going to be new orleans taking the wild card spot.

PurplePeopleEaters
11-01-2006, 02:53 PM
A few tough ones remaining. At chicago is going to be amazingly hard to win but if we happen to pull that one off we're in IMO. Other than that we have the pack twice, the Jets, and the Rams as our only other semi-hard games. I could definitely see us winning almost all if not all of those games. I could also see us go on a losing streak and not make the playoffs though. We're very inconsistent. Remember... we lost to the bills. We'll have to see in the upcoming weeks.

Slade
11-01-2006, 03:43 PM
"petrodemos" wrote:

it does help that our loses are against two afc teams and a team we get to try and pull even with (unlikely)

but the fact remains:
atlanta or new orleans will be fighting for their division and i think its going to be new orleans taking the wild card spot.

- True, NO will be in the mix, but there are 2 wild card spots available. Dallas being the other x-factor

MaddenVodkaAddict
11-01-2006, 04:14 PM
"petrodemos" wrote:

but the fact remains:

Let us not forget last year when Mr. Marcus Robinson caught three touchdown passes from Mr. Brad Johnson
:D

Gift
11-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Both Green Bay games & the Bears game @ Chicago are gonna be tough .
We have our work cut out for us & we MUST win the games we should the rest of the way out.
No more buffalos.

DeathtoDenny
11-01-2006, 05:29 PM
The passing D needs to tighten up and the passing O needs CPR. They should use games against bad defenses to rebuild their confidence in the passing game. The only reason they didn't run much was they had to pass to keep up with brady which was impossible. I think Chestor will be fine. After the next 4 games, they should be 8-3.

MetalMike-LoudVike
11-01-2006, 05:33 PM
its a beautiful thing like a good looking woman wearing nothing but 1 of my viking jerseys :o. now they think we could get in like I keep believing the bears will falter and breakdown,
we just gotta believe & ask the norsemen give em something that will stall em out and get back in it.

MMLV

Zeus
11-02-2006, 07:26 AM
"petrodemos" wrote:

Minnesota 27, St. Louis 13
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=251211016

That was LAST season.

=Z=

mr.woo
11-02-2006, 08:13 AM
a 12 win season would be remarkable but it is very possible. but then so is a 8 win season. were a pretty streaky team that relies on momentum.

Freya
11-02-2006, 08:23 AM
"Acumen" wrote:

As long as they keep improving.
I still have confidence in the Bears folding.

This is exactly the sentiment in our house. The Bears WILL choke in the second half of the season. Implode really. I can't wait.
I will delight in sadistic glee when they do.

petrodemos
11-02-2006, 09:35 AM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"petrodemos" wrote:

Minnesota 27, St. Louis 13
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=251211016

That was LAST season.

=Z=

hahaha, you are correct. :P

although bulger didnt start that game and fitzpatrick threw for 5 ints, but i was wrong nonetheless.

back to the wildcard spot tho, new orleans and atlanta are at 5-2 fighting for the division, carolina might throw a wrench in their post season wishes and help us out,
and then theres the eagles and cowboys (both better than the vikes IMO) chasing the giants. the upcoming schedule looks easy for us, but theyre not gimmies either.

Json
11-02-2006, 10:07 AM
The Vikings will only get beat down like they did on Monday night if they make it as a wild card team.
That Monday night game was a joke and it was sickening to watch.
When Bollinger came in the team just quit.
What a fricken disgrace.
I love the Vikings but it made me sick watching it.

Del Rio
11-02-2006, 10:14 AM
"Json" wrote:

The Vikings will only get beat down like they did on Monday night if they make it as a wild card team.
What a fricken disgrace.

1997 We lost 5 straight games at the end of the season got blown out in a few and we won the wildcard game and made it a good game against the 49ers. There are many more examples that I don't feel like looking for, but one bad loss on Monday night in the middle of the season to the Patriots does not mean we can't make a run in the playoffs.

Gift
11-02-2006, 10:26 AM
"Json" wrote:

What a fricken disgrace.

AS Del already touched on, 1 bad game does not decide your season.
Im sure alot of Super Bowl teams got blown out once or twice in a season, it happens.
You come unprepared, bad game paln, looking past teams, poor adjustments or sometimes you stars just play like crap.
If we take your position there is no reason to continue the season, we are better off just throwing the rest of our games for a good draft spot.
Seems kinda silly since we are sitting at 4-3.

CCthebest
11-02-2006, 10:40 AM
All these predictions are really meaningless. You can bet on Indy, Bears and Patsies, and thats about it. Then you go to who has a better record. Its nice to see the Vikes on SI's list, but utterly meaningless.

With the way Brad Johnson and the offense are playing, Im wondering if we can win 4 more games this year. And we wont even win the 4 if Tomlin cant figure out how to play a 4 or 5 receiver set.

Del Rio
11-02-2006, 10:48 AM
"CCthebest" wrote:

All these predictions are really meaningless. You can bet on Indy, Bears and Patsies, and thats about it. Then you go to who has a better record. Its nice to see the Vikes on SI's list, but utterly meaningless.

With the way Brad Johnson and the offense are playing, Im wondering if we can win 4 more games this year. And we wont even win the 4 if Tomlin cant figure out how to play a 4 or 5 receiver set.

I'd be surprised if anyone else even tries that.

jmmcgorman
11-02-2006, 10:53 AM
I am not worried about our defense.
Mike Tomlin seems to make good adjustments between games.
I am worried about whether or not our receivers are going to learn how to get open and catch the ball before the end of this season.
Because when the pats covered the dink and dunk, it was up to twill and taylor to step up. And they choked hard.
That will determine the rest of our season.
Everyone else has proved themselves.
Defense, Chester, Brad, the O-Line, Wiggins, just not the receivers.
The only one to do anything is Marcus Robinson.
So if he is putting up touchdowns, why don't they start him when he gets healthy?

Zeus
11-02-2006, 11:16 AM
"Del" wrote:

"CCthebest" wrote:

As Mike Nolan (HC of the Niners) said (paraphrasing) - Not every team has a Tom Brady to pull off that kind of offense.

=Z=

Del Rio
11-02-2006, 11:17 AM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"CCthebest" wrote:

As Mike Nolan (HC of the Niners) said (paraphrasing) - Not every team has a Tom Brady to pull off that kind of offense.

=Z=

Alex Smith is good IMO but yeah he is no Tom Brady lol. It would be the same as thinking a team is going to do fake fieldgoals all game because it worked in one game.

TARKenton
11-02-2006, 11:23 AM
"Gift" wrote:

"Json" wrote:

What a fricken disgrace.

AS Del already touched on, 1 bad game does not decide your season.
Im sure alot of Super Bowl teams got blown out once or twice in a season, it happens.
You come unprepared, bad game paln, looking past teams, poor adjustments or sometimes you stars just play like crap.
If we take your position there is no reason to continue the season, we are better off just throwing the rest of our games for a good draft spot.
Seems kinda silly since we are sitting at 4-3.

Exactly.
NE was beaten 31-0 by Buffalo the year they won their first of three superbowls.
So yeah, after a 24 point defeat we should just quit and try again next season ::)

BearsFanGrrrr
11-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Inconsistency will keep you vqueens out of the playoffs !
:o
DA BEARS will have a first round bye and homefield advantage through out.

GO BEARS !
7 an 0
BABY !
8)

CCthebest
11-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Anyone with an Urlacher sig should be beaten, then banned.

Prophet
11-02-2006, 11:40 AM
"BearsFanGrrrr" wrote:

GO BEARS !
7 an 0
BABY !

8)

Another tidbit of wisdom from the mentally challenged.

Gift
11-02-2006, 11:53 AM
"BearsFanGrrrr" wrote:

GO BEARS !
7 an 0
BABY !
8)
You guys have a hard road in front of you & being on top means everyone is gunning for you.
The vikes on the other hand have 1 tough team left (bears) and not much in the way of expectations.
I do however like the idea of the NFCN going out & winning games to shup up the "worst division in football" crap so I cant hate ya too much for the season you guys are having.

We'll see how tough you are come december 3rd.

Slade
11-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Must have been kicked out of the Cubs forum....er Bears. Yay....Grossman tore up the niners....that says alot. The Bears know we had them beat.

COJOMAY
11-02-2006, 12:01 PM
So we make the playoffs. Is that enough? Will fans look back at the 2006 season and say we had a successful year with an aging QB and a bunch of first year coaches. We will just continue to improve and be happy with that. Or will we make the playoffs, lose and then have all the fans bellyaching about how bad the Vikings are?

Gift
11-02-2006, 12:03 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

So we make the playoffs. Is that enough? Will fans look back at the 2006 season and say we had a successful year with an aging QB and a bunch of first year coaches. We will just continue to improve and be happy with that. Or will we make the playoffs, lose and then have all the fans bellyaching about how bad the Vikings are?
Personally, I predicted a 8-8/9-7 year with no playoffs, and would have been content considering all the changes.
Anything above that would just be great!

cogitans
11-02-2006, 01:06 PM
"BearsFanGrrrr" wrote:

GO BEARS !
7 an 0
BABY !
8)

I've just waited so long for you to come and tell me that.

patriotswinagain
11-02-2006, 07:04 PM
"Slade" wrote:

I know its nothing new, but its still pretty good to hear. Predictions are a dime a dozen, but some of the things Banks says is pretty cool.

"Minnesota: The Vikings looked anything but playoff bound against New England, but while the Saints and Panthers bump each other off down the stretch, Minnesota could sneak into the final NFC slot with a 10-win season. The Vikings are 4-1 in the NFC, and have beaten Carolina if it comes down to a tiebreaker. Plus, Minnesota only has two games remaining against teams with winning records, and one of those is against 4-3 St. Louis at home."

Why they had Miami winning the Super Bowl and beating my Pats this year.

marshallvike
11-02-2006, 07:38 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

IF we make the playoffs I, and most people on PPO will be very happy. to make the playoffs with a first year coaching staff and a rebuilt offensive line would be fantastic. of course if we lose in the first round I will be p!55ed off for awhile because i always get upset when we lose. those mondays really suck (or last tuesday). but not too many of us had expectations of the vikings dominating before the season started. my hopes rose maybe more than they should have after the first few games with our defense playing at such a high level but with our D we can win a lot of games in spite of our vanilla offense. we won't see another brady/ bellichek combo again this year.

vikesD
11-02-2006, 07:53 PM
Making the playoffs would be an improvement on last year.After all the changes in the team this off season to make the playoffs would be a good start Chili and his coaches and players of course.

shockzilla
11-02-2006, 07:54 PM
Personally, I think we have to agree that we're going only as far as the defense is going to carry us, and hope for the best from the offense.

Just remember one thing though:

"Defense wins championships."

Case in point: Baltimore Ravens, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, even the Patriots have won with D.

BadlandsVikings
11-02-2006, 08:10 PM
"shockzilla" wrote:

Personally, I think we have to agree that we're going only as far as the defense is going to carry us, and hope for the best from the offense.

Just remember one thing though:

"Defense wins championships."

Case in point: Baltimore Ravens, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, even the Patriots have won with D.

they also had new unis

Big C
11-02-2006, 08:18 PM
We will make the wild card game ONLY if the offense can get back on track. BJ has to bounce back strong from the Pats game. If he eliminates turnovers, we're in a good position to win. Our hottest offensive player at the moment is Memo. We HAVE to get him a few more touches on offense.

shockzilla
11-02-2006, 08:29 PM
"Big" wrote:

We will make the wild card game ONLY if the offense can get back on track. BJ has to bounce back strong from the Pats game. If he eliminates turnovers, we're in a good position to win. Our hottest offensive player at the moment is Memo. We HAVE to get him a few more touches on offense.

Good point - I agree 100%.

COJOMAY
11-02-2006, 08:54 PM
How quickly we forget Chester Taylor. Remember after the Seahogs game we couldn't say enough good things about him? Now suddenly everyone wants to dump him in favor of Moore.

RussC
11-02-2006, 09:00 PM
well not exactly dump him! but he is playing well! i see no problem with getting him a couple more touches a game, it will keep the opp. defense guessing what their gonna do. memo is a great check down back, he has those jukes he can pull.. i see no problem with using both backs.

Zeus
11-03-2006, 07:09 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

How quickly we forget Chester Taylor. Remember after the Seahogs game we couldn't say enough good things about him? Now suddenly everyone wants to dump him in favor of Moore.

That's because everyone remembers all the times when MeMo catches those passes and makes those 8-yard-gains with the extra effort.

On 3rd-and-11.

Punt!

=Z=

FuadFan
11-03-2006, 06:19 PM
"shockzilla" wrote:

"Big" wrote:

I don't a couple big gains in garbage time aren't going to change my mind on him if he weren't a good returner he should be deactivated every week.

cajunvike
11-03-2006, 06:32 PM
We gotta use ALL of our weapons...give the ball to whomever has the hot hand...it changes every week, so just go with the flow!

Gift
11-03-2006, 06:39 PM
"FuadFan" wrote:

"shockzilla" wrote:

"Big" wrote:

I don't a couple big gains in garbage time aren't going to change my mind on him if he weren't a good returner he should be deactivated every week.
Wow, funny how people can see the same thing & see totally different things at the same time.
To me, memo looks like a much more talented rb than taylor.
I think if memo wasnt injury prone I would make him the starter, but thats just me.