PDA

View Full Version : Johnson will start again for now - Childress' patience wearing thin

singersp
11-01-2006, 07:22 AM
Vikings: Johnson will start again -- for now (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/779649.html)

The Vikings coach is standing behind his quarterback but has a low tolerance for turnovers.

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
Last update: October 31, 2006 – 8:24 PM

singersp
11-01-2006, 07:23 AM
Turnovers won't be tolerated (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/15897406.htm)

Posted on Wed, Nov. 01, 2006

Childress' patience wearing thin, but Johnson will start

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

Prophet
11-01-2006, 07:26 AM
"singersp" wrote:

Vikings: Johnson will start again -- for now (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/779649.html)

The Vikings coach is standing behind his quarterback but has a low tolerance for turnovers.

Wow, what a surprise.

If you are surprised by this consider getting a lobotomy, at least you will have an excuse.

mr.woo
11-01-2006, 09:11 AM
hopefully brad understands he could be benched and startsplaying likie its his last play- every play.

Del Rio
11-01-2006, 09:15 AM
Hopefully someone worth a damn will step up so our granpa QB doesn't have to. Someone needs to make the big play, a WR a RB a TE......someone needs to break away from the moild

Freya
11-01-2006, 09:26 AM
"Acumen" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Wow, what a surprise.

If you are surprised by this consider getting a lobotomy, at least you will have an excuse.

I am slightly surprised by this.........

But at the same time, I am glad to see Childress has drawn the line on what is tolerable and will bench if need be.

And I don't need a lobotomy, ye weirdo.

cajunvike
11-01-2006, 09:28 AM
First INT was NOT really his fault...Mewelde was held and there was no call.

Second INT was thrown into open space and the DB made a great scoop off of the carpet.

Third INT was the lone pass that was really stupid...and by then the refs had already decided the game's outcome.

That said, Brad won't have another game like this one again this year.

VikingFanEric
11-01-2006, 09:45 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Second INT was thrown into open space and the DB made a great scoop off of the carpet.

Third INT was the lone pass that was really stupid...and by then the refs had already decided the game's outcome.

I agree the first one there was nothing he could do about it.
Moore, the intended target, was held.

Second one was a bad decision to heave it there, but like Cajun said, a great scoop by the DB.

And of course the third was just plain awful.
I don't expect Johnson to have any more games like that, at least he better not or there will be trouble.

snowinapril
11-01-2006, 09:52 AM
Media BS, Headlines about nothing.

Imagine that.

I think John Lennon wrote a song about just this event.

Johnson isn't getting benched.
He isn't even close.

FOR NOW!!!!!
BS

Marrdro
11-01-2006, 09:54 AM
"VikingFanEric" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

Second one was a bad decision to heave it there, but like Cajun said, a great scoop by the DB.

I don't expect Johnson to have any more games like that, at least he better not or there will be trouble.

Not to mention that a couple passes were short when our recievers had the DB's beat because Brad couldn't step into the throw.
Seemed like he was pressured quite a few times during the game.

spikecyrus
11-01-2006, 09:55 AM
somehow the zebras missed MeMo being tackled while the ball was thrown. the zebras missed alot of calls.

Desertvikingfan
11-01-2006, 12:24 PM

I think it would be good to see Childress call out the O line. Besides the Seattle game they haven't played that well, and the protection for Johnson was definitely subpar Monday Night. Aside from the money, these are supposed to be elite players and they flat out got beat by the Pats.

ItalianStallion
11-01-2006, 01:25 PM
"Del" wrote:

Hopefully someone worth a gol 'darnit will step up so our granpa QB doesn't have to. Someone needs to make the big play, a WR a RB a TE......someone needs to break away from the moild

Heaven forbid our qb actually step up and make plays himself, not that it wouldn't be nice seeing someone else do it too.

Del Rio
11-01-2006, 01:30 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

Hopefully someone worth a gol 'darnit will step up so our granpa QB doesn't have to. Someone needs to make the big play, a WR a RB a TE......someone needs to break away from the moild

Heaven forbid our qb actually step up and make plays himself, not that it wouldn't be nice seeing someone else do it too.

He's not a playmaker in the sense you're going to see him scramble for 30 yards or evade 4 sacks and launch a laser off his back foot. He is what he is and when he tries to do some of those things he stinks it up.

Heaven forbid your WR actually catches a30+ yard perfectly thrown ball. Everyone knows what you get in Johnson. He isn't going to take a game over, but he needs someone who can. It won him a superbowl. It has won many teams superbowls.

There is absolutley nothing wrong with that. Darren Sharper has better hands then our WR's.

Brad Johnson isn't going to be breaking the mold he is the mold. He is incredibly non-flashy and has been the same his entire career. We have a lot of young talent on the team that has yet to make a name for themselves. Guys who were first round picks who have bounced around here or there, who have done NOTHING. One of these guys needs to either live up to their "potential" or find someone who can.

PurpleRide
11-01-2006, 01:42 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Oh come on!!! he over threw MM, it was his fault.
You cant complain about the officials on that one.
He over threw it by 5 yards.
He made dumb choices.
Be a smart fan, dont blame the refs.

Del Rio
11-01-2006, 01:48 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

He made dumb choices.

That was an obvious hold by the LB. No pooh he over threw him LMAO because he wasn't where he was supposed to be because Bruschi was holding him. It's right there plain as day. He played a bad game no doubt made some horrible decisions but I agree with Cajun on that one.

Del Rio
11-01-2006, 01:55 PM
Besides how can the President of the Brad Johnson fan club be upset with Brad? That is what your title says you are.

Prophet
11-01-2006, 02:22 PM
"Del" wrote:

"PurpleRide" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

He made dumb choices.

That was an obvious hold by the LB. No pooh he over threw him LMAO because he wasn't where he was supposed to be because Bruschi was holding him. It's right there plain as day. He played a bad game no doubt made some horrible decisions but I agree with Cajun on that one.

You would think that the president of the BJ fan club would defend him on that play.
That will have to be discussed at the next meeting.

Gift
11-01-2006, 02:59 PM
"Del" wrote:

"PurpleRide" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

He made dumb choices.

It was still a bad pass.
When the running back is going up the middle before breaking to his route you can't rely on timing, too many variables once you hit the line.
A QB like johnson should know this.
Hold or no hold, it was a bad pass to make in the redzone.

Del Rio
11-01-2006, 03:02 PM
"Gift" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"PurpleRide" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

He made dumb choices.

It was still a bad pass.
When the running back is going up the middle before breaking to his route you can't rely on timing, too many variables once you hit the line.

What do you mean you can't rely on timing? He was in his route and the hold didnt even take place until the ball was in the air. He could have hit him withing three yards but when the ball is let go it's hands off no matter what.

Gift
11-01-2006, 03:07 PM
"Del" wrote:

"Gift" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"PurpleRide" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

He made dumb choices.

It was still a bad pass.

What do you mean you can't rely on timing? He was in his route and the hold didnt even take place until the ball was in the air. He could have hit him withing three yards but when the ball is let go it's hands off no matter what.
You may be right, I dont have a reply to watch but..
It looked to me at the time that BJ blindly threw it out there assuming memo would be there.
Regardless, it was a high lofty dump pass, not the kinda thing you want in the redzone.
I'm not here to bash BJ, but i will call them as I see them & I saw a very poor pass.

EDIT -
& of course there was a hold, not saying there wasnt.
But when you go into that line pooh happens, and as a vikes fan I know you cant rely on the refs, ever.

Del Rio
11-01-2006, 04:01 PM
"Gift" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"Gift" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"PurpleRide" wrote:

He made dumb choices.

It was still a bad pass.

It looked to me at the time that BJ blindly threw it out there assuming memo would be there.
Regardless, it was a high lofty dump pass, not the kinda thing you want in the redzone.
I'm not here to bash BJ, but i will call them as I see them & I saw a very poor pass.

EDIT -
But when you go into that line pooh happens, and as a vikes fan I know you cant rely on the refs, ever.

I'm not arguing with you but to me if Brad Johnson threw a timing route to the RB inside the 10 isn't that on coaching? This isn't Peyton Manning here, of course this is a stretch because we have no idea what the play was or who was supposed to be where. It was a bad play. I personally can't pin it on Johnson. The other passes specifically the one where he was under pressure and threw a duck deep into enemy territory was HORRIBLE.

That's just me though, and again it's all just speculation.

snowinapril
11-01-2006, 04:41 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Vikings: Johnson will start again -- For Peanuts (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/779649.html)

For Peanuts!

petrodemos
11-01-2006, 04:53 PM
well he sure didnt make a case for himself to get a raise. and maybe thats why the organization waited. lets wait and see if he can hold up for a season and play like he did last year. they made the mistake with culpepper, now they want to be sure.

to be fair, the WRs dropping balls on him are getting old, maybe starting to make Brad think he needs to make a play, and turn away from his "play it safe" and "make the right decision". ultematly hurting the team.

aceclown
11-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Johnson is a washed up wannabe field general who cant throw the ball over 40 yards anymore and likes throwing welll-covered 4 yard check downs on 3rd and long.
I am really starting to despise this guy.

Del Rio
11-01-2006, 05:15 PM
"aceclown" wrote:

Johnson is a washed up wannabe field general who cant throw the ball over 40 yards anymore and likes throwing welll-covered 4 yard check downs on 3rd and long.

I am sure he loses mounds of sleep over that. ;D

thevikingfan
11-01-2006, 05:24 PM
"VikingFanEric" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

IF you watch the reaplay of the second interception you will notice that it is kind of brads fault he had to make a split second decision and he made the wriong one.

Allow me to explain: On the play the patriot had a safety over the top and a corner covering the reciever.Our reciever ran past the corner and was in between the corner and safety on the right side of the field ( i should say he was relativly wide open) brad saw this and tried to get it to him but while he was winding up to throw it he saw a pass rusher right behind him.The problem he faced was if he extended his arm all the way the d-lineman probably would have hit the arm and caused a fumble so brad without extending his arm basicly "shotputted" the ball.Thats why the ball was underthrown (not because he has no arm)

Gift
11-01-2006, 05:52 PM
"petrodemos" wrote:

to be fair, the WRs dropping balls on him are getting old, maybe starting to make Brad think he needs to make a play, and turn away from his "play it safe" and "make the right decision". ultematly hurting the team.
This I think is dead on.

Gift
11-01-2006, 05:52 PM
double posts 4tl!

ooops

cajunvike
11-01-2006, 06:02 PM
"aceclown" wrote:

Hey, Brady only threw ONE pass over 40 yards himself...and it got picked by Sharper!

EVERY ONE of the long pass plays by Brady were YAC plays by the WRs...we can do the same thing if our WRs get their butts in gear!!!

Desertvikingfan
11-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Nice analysis! ;D

V-Unit
11-01-2006, 07:18 PM
I like Brad Johnson because he is calculated, conservative, and does not make mistakes. That is not how he played Monday Night.

1st INT was his fault. Absolute floater. You could tell it was trouble before it was caught by the defender. MeMo was slowed up, but he would have had to make a tough catch. I think Johnson should have zipped it in to Bethel who was wide right after pre-snap motion.

2nd INT was his fault. Brad knows his ability and plays conservatively enough to know what throws he can and can't make. He tried to go deep and came nowhere close.

3rd INT was his fault. Stupid pass and it got him benched. By that time we had no offensive rhythm. Brad was certainly not the only one struggling.

He'll bounce back and show the poise that got him his ring.

VikesfaninWis
11-01-2006, 08:22 PM
All I know is regardless if the INT's were his fault or not, he seems like he can't throw the ball 30-40 yards anymore.. When opposing teams know that, they can gameplan for that team so much easier.. I really want to see what Tarvaris Jackson can do.. If BJ has another game like that, or we are blowing another team out, Childress should really see what TJ is made of.. All in favor say I... :D

sleepagent
11-01-2006, 08:24 PM
"Del" wrote:

"Gift" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"Gift" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

He made dumb choices.

It was still a bad pass.

EDIT -

I'm not arguing with you but to me if Brad Johnson threw a timing route to the RB inside the 10 isn't that on coaching? This isn't Peyton Manning here, of course this is a stretch because we have no idea what the play was or who was supposed to be where. It was a bad play. I personally can't pin it on Johnson. The other passes specifically the one where he was under pressure and threw a duck deep into enemy territory was HORRIBLE.

That's just me though, and again it's all just speculation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't BJ say in the pregame interview that he had to throw at his receivers . . . not to a spot?
I wonder who changed that "train of thought" on that play?

Memo was held and that's why there was an interception . . . but would there have been one if he threw it at Memo instead?
We'll never know.

We don't have a go-to-guy that can out jump defenders and actually hold on to the ball anymore . . . and maybe our crappy line will someday block someone (someone that is of Championship caliber that is) . . . then maybe all this QB stuff will fade away with the losses!

ejmat
11-01-2006, 10:44 PM
I would like to know where people are analyzing the BJ can't throw a ball 40 yards anymore?
I've seen hom throw the ball 40 yards on at least 3 occasions this season where the ball was perfectly placed and it was dropped.
TWill against the Redskins, MRob against Buffalo (he was actually tripping over his own 2 feet) and TWill against the Pats.

Granted this game wasn't his best game.
I have to agree that the 1st INT was the refs fault for not calling an obvious hold.
The 2nd INT IMO should have never been thrown.
He was pressured and had to shot put the ball.
He should have known better to take the sack at that point.

3rd INT was his fault too.

Let's also talk about the "non-catch" of Wiggins.
Sometimes the refs amaze me.
They have replay and still can't get a call right.

The fact is he has moved the ball pretty well.
If we did have the WRs that could adjust to catch balls and not fumble the Vikings could very well be a top 10 offense in terms of yardage.
I think (without checking) before this game they were like 15th.
Whoever despises BJ really isn't watching everything.
He is the reason why we won against the Skins and the Panthers.
He needs the other "big pay" players to step up and do their jobs as well.
The refs not being so biased all the time would help too.

snowinapril
11-01-2006, 10:51 PM
If BJ has time, he can throw downfield.

That INT he threw 40 yds down the field, he moved up in the pocket and wasn't set to throw it that far.
He should know better, he was just trying to make a play.

BadlandsVikings
11-01-2006, 10:56 PM
It's just one bad game for him, he'll improve...he has to there is no one else.

Purple_Hope
11-01-2006, 11:23 PM
Is Brooks really our #2 guy? I've never actually seen him play a game before last Monday night, but after that performance, I'm not sure that I ever want to see it happen again.

Prophet
11-02-2006, 07:35 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

I would like to know where people are analyzing the BJ can't throw a ball 40 yards anymore?
I've seen hom throw the ball 40 yards on at least 3 occasions this season where the ball was perfectly placed and it was dropped.
TWill against the Redskins, MRob against Buffalo (he was actually tripping over his own 2 feet) and TWill against the Pats....

Here we go again, someone clouding the issue with facts.

ejmat
11-03-2006, 08:49 AM
"Acumen" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

TWill against the Redskins, MRob against Buffalo (he was actually tripping over his own 2 feet) and TWill against the Pats....

I'm not sure what you mean by that.
Are we not supposed to use facts in our posts?

Prophet
11-03-2006, 08:55 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

"Acumen" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

;D, I think you do know what I meant.

digital420
11-03-2006, 09:54 AM
Brad is our QB, wether you like him or not. that's how it is.

he's the best for the position ATM, and i salute B.chill for standing by him after that poor performance. Many aging qb's are becoming benched, and younger ones are taknig over, this is how things go, and there will be a point where B.j will sit and either Tjack comes up, or bolly will take center stage.

until that day comes. i back B.J for his efforts, and hope that he knows how to put that performance beheind him, and move on to some new victories!!

DiGiTaL

ejmat
11-03-2006, 11:46 AM
"Acumen" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"Acumen" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

;D, I think you do know what I meant.

Honestly I think it's over my head.
I guess you were joking.

thanatoschristou
11-03-2006, 12:04 PM
No excuses, decision making is what Childress is saying.
If you can't step into the throw to make the throw, don't pass.

CCthebest
11-03-2006, 12:22 PM
Bj had a terrible game. Not only with the INT's but the way he ran the offense. He can only throw the ball over 20 yards accuratly if he has protection, and isnt moving. But he doesnt have time for the long balls BECAUSE our line sucks for pass protection.

McKinney continues to get burned by anyone with speed moves. Marcus Johnson sucks. Hicks sucks. So that leaves just Birk and Hutch that can actually pass protect.

Its not all BJ's fault, but if we lose to the 49ers, Id like to see Brian Boll next week. Ive been a brad johnson supporter all year, but his head isnt in the game. He looks flat.

Prophet
11-03-2006, 01:01 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

Bj had a terrible game. Not only with the INT's but the way he ran the offense. He can only throw the ball over 20 yards accuratly if he has protection, and isnt moving. But he doesnt have time for the long balls BECAUSE our line sucks for pass protection.

McKinney continues to get burned by anyone with speed moves. Marcus Johnson sucks. Hicks sucks. So that leaves just Birk and Hutch that can actually pass protect.

Its not all BJ's fault, but if we lose to the 49ers, Id like to see Brian Boll next week. Ive been a brad johnson supporter all year, but his head isnt in the game. He looks flat.

I almost fainted when I read that last line.
Funny stuff.
The best I can tell this is the only time you have not bashed BJ (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=150&action=profile;u=7649;sa=showPosts;start=140).
Don't even try to say you've been supporting him all year.

Yes, the offensive woes continue and if they don't make a good showing against the 9ers it will be a sad day indeed.

Freakout
11-03-2006, 01:13 PM
The first pass he threw that was picked off was a bad pass.
Even had Memo not been held and managed to catch the ball Harrison would have layed him out probally causing a fumble.
That was the type of pass rookie QB's make that get their recievers hurt.

ultravikingfan
11-03-2006, 04:08 PM
"Acumen" wrote:

"CCthebest" wrote:

I almost fainted when I read that last line.
Funny stuff.
The best I can tell this is the only time you have not bashed BJ (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=150&action=profile;u=7649;sa=showPosts;start=140).
Don't even try to say you've been supporting him all year.

Yes, the offensive woes continue and if they don't make a good showing against the 9ers it will be a sad day indeed.

Take that!
http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/violent/080.gif

Purple Floyd
11-03-2006, 08:48 PM
With all of his upside i am sure Chilly is just chomping at the bit to put Bollinger in there ;)

If he benches Johnson for him then it will indicate that Childress has given up on this year and at that point,if TJ is as good as they have said he is, they should put him in and get him some reps.

PurpleRide
11-03-2006, 09:23 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

With all of his upside i am sure Chilly is just chomping at the bit to put Bollinger in there ;)

If he benches Johnson for him then it will indicate that Childress has given up on this year and at that point,if TJ is as good as they have said he is, they should put him in and get him some reps.

how can you say johnson is that much better?
Look at his stats this year, do you really think it can get much worse then what he has done?
4 td's 7 int's.
I really dont think any QB can do worse than what johnson has done this year.
Hell even DC was doing better before he got hurt again.

singersp
11-05-2006, 06:56 AM
Childress might have to show he's a QB guru (http://www.startribune.com/150/story/786269.html)

If Brad Johnson isn't the answer at QB, the Vikings seem likely to move Tarvaris Jackson into the starting role next season.

Jim Souhan, Star Tribune
Last update: November 05, 2006 – 12:48 AM

cajunvike
11-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Whatever Chilly decides, I sure hope that it makes us better on offense...we don't want to be rebuilding for the next 5 years!

SharperVikings
11-05-2006, 12:26 PM
This last game was 1/16th of the season, and that's what I love about this game.
We have the chance to make adjustments during the week!
Like I've said before, as much as I want to see what Tjack can do, it's not going to happen this season unless bj just blows.
We have a chance to make a great run against mediocre teams the next four weeks.
We have to make sure we use the running game alot today!

No matter what rankings say about us, that doesnt matter.
At the end of the season, its all about the record.
We just need to show up, play OUR game, and have every player do their job, and their job only.
Don't try to do someone else's job!

As for the game today, I hope we can get a glance of Tjack, whether its because bj sucks it up, or we just are blowing out the 9ers.
If we are going to see Tjack at all, it is going to be in this stretch of the schedule!

I am in favor of puttin him in!

PurpleRide
11-05-2006, 12:43 PM
I just dont understand how 4 TD's and 7 int's this far into the season is good enough.
Johnson is not capable of being a starter any longer, there is a reason he came here as a back-up.
He needs to sit, we need someone who can lead this offence into the endzone.
If the rookie is more capable of that, he should play.
If he is not able to score more than 4 TD's in 7 games, this team is in real trouble in the future.

I hate to bring it up, C-PEP has a year like johnson is having, the attitude towards the QB is much worse in viking land.

Johnson should be working on his next career right now, not losing games for the vikings

ejmat
11-06-2006, 02:27 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

I just dont understand how 4 TD's and 7 int's this far into the season is good enough.
Johnson is not capable of being a starter any longer, there is a reason he came here as a back-up.
If he is not able to score more than 4 TD's in 7 games, this team is in real trouble in the future.

I hate to bring it up, C-PEP has a year like johnson is having, the attitude towards the QB is much worse in viking land.

Johnson should be working on his next career right now, not losing games for the vikings

I'm not saying BJs stats are good but yu would know if you watch and actually see the games it's not entirely his fault.
He has had several dropped passes and several penalties on big plays being called back that also effect his stats.
If people would stop dropping passes the fact is BJ would be in the upper 10 QBs as far as yardage goes.
Getting in the endzone is a different story.
Bottom line is if Childress gives up on BJ tyhis year so be it.
I'm not for it but if he does it's his decision.
I just hope he puts TJ in and not BB.
TJ should get the experience he needs going into next season.

Caine
11-06-2006, 02:45 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

For about the hundreth time, Johnson isn't losing the games for us!!!!!
It's the combination of poor blocking, crappy receiving, and moronic play calling.
Putting Jackson in won't change ANY of those.

There is no quick-fix for what is wrong.
It's sad, but true.
Believe me, if the problem was Johnson, I'd be the first in line screaming for the hook...but it ISN'T.
At least, not entirely.
Fix one of the big 3 I listed above, and THEN talk to me about replacing Johnson.
Until then, it doesn't matter who starts, it'll still stink.

Caine

Gift
11-06-2006, 05:27 PM
"Caine" wrote:

"PurpleRide" wrote:

It's the combination of poor blocking, crappy receiving, and moronic play calling.

It's sad, but true.
Believe me, if the problem was Johnson, I'd be the first in line screaming for the hook...but it ISN'T.
At least, not entirely.
Fix one of the big 3 I listed above, and THEN talk to me about replacing Johnson.

Caine
We had pretty much the same problems last year with c-pep, brad came in & the team responded.
They just are not playing for BJ right now, It's bollinger time!!!!

V-Unit
11-06-2006, 05:55 PM
"Caine" wrote:

"PurpleRide" wrote:

It's sad, but true.
At least, not entirely.

Caine

Johnson is definetly losing games for us. He is not the only reason, but certainly is a big part of it. One thing we were all certain BJ could do as our starter was take care of the football, and he hasn't done that at all. Brad is playing piss poor and deserves to be benched. The turnovers are unacceptable.

That said, he is still our best option at QB, but a mediocre option at best. Brad has lost his poise and pocket presence, and he has not been throwing the ball away like he used to last season. Without those turnovers we win the game. The 49ers had 6 points off turnovers and all their momentum was generated from Brad's miscues.

Sure I can understand blaming Troy's 2 big drops as a cause for loss, but Brad's 3 turnovers had just as much if not more impact than those two drops. Moronic playcalling and crappy blocking were problems last year as well. Brad has gotten worse.

Desertvikingfan
11-06-2006, 06:05 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

"PurpleRide" wrote:

It's sad, but true.
At least, not entirely.

Caine

Johnson is definetly losing games for us. He is not the only reason, but certainly is a big part of it. One thing we were all certain BJ could do as our starter was take care of the football, and he hasn't done that at all. Brad is playing piss poor and deserves to be benched. The turnovers are unacceptable.

That said, he is still our best option at QB, but a mediocre option at best. Brad has lost his poise and pocket presence, and he has not been throwing the ball away like he used to last season. Without those turnovers we win the game. The 49ers had 6 points off turnovers and all their momentum was generated from Brad's miscues.

Sure I can understand blaming Troy's 2 big drops as a cause for loss, but Brad's 3 turnovers had just as much if not more impact than those two drops. Moronic playcalling and crappy blocking were problems last year as well. Brad has gotten worse.

You can't blame the first fumble on Brad as he was blind sided almost as soon as he got back to pass. The interception was a tip. But the bottom line is, we know Brad can deliver the ball when the receiver is open, the receivers just aren't getting open and he is left trying to make a play or hold until someone does get open. It's not the same as when Dante C. was in there when they ran deep out anddeep crossing patterns that allowed him to wait until the receiver uncovered. The patterns we run now are primarily timing pattern and if the receivers don't run them properly, or they can't get open there is nowhere for Brad to go. Lot of problems right now, but I don't think Brad J. has just forgotten how to play smart football and deliver the ball.

BBQ Platypus
11-06-2006, 07:32 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

"PurpleRide" wrote:

I'm not saying BJs stats are good but yu would know if you watch and actually see the games it's not entirely his fault.
He has had several dropped passes and several penalties on big plays being called back that also effect his stats.
If people would stop dropping passes the fact is BJ would be in the upper 10 QBs as far as yardage goes.
Getting in the endzone is a different story.
Bottom line is if Childress gives up on BJ tyhis year so be it.
I'm not for it but if he does it's his decision.
I just hope he puts TJ in and not BB.
TJ should get the experience he needs going into next season.

Just curious...did all of you who are defending Johnson right now show the same patience toward Culpepper last season?
I'm not going to overgeneralize here, because I know there must be some of you who did, but if you didn't give Daunte any leeway, don't do the same for Brad.
Last year showed us the importance of having a quarterback who can lead the team, inspire the players around him, and, most importantly, fits the offensive players around him.
We really can't do anything about our wide receiver situation right now.
And I'm not buying the "o-line" argument.
We're pretty much stuck with the guys we have.

Brad has had plenty of time in the pocket.
But it still doesn't seem like enough for him.
Even when we go into max protect.
(Which makes sense - he has fewer receivers to throw to).

In short, our offense is slow.
We need to be faster.
I'd love to sign some better receivers, but nobody's available.
You can't find good, fast, sure-handed receivers just walking around on the streets.
If the rest of the offense can't change fast enough, then our QB needs to change.
Specifically, he needs to change into Tarvaris Jackson.
We can wish for a better offense all we want, but that might not happen.
We need to consider the possibility of a QB who can give our offense the jolt of talent, youth, and energy it desperately needs.

VikesfaninWis
11-06-2006, 07:43 PM
I think that the main reason why Brad Johnson will continue to be our starter is because Brad Childress doesn't think Tarvaris Jackson is ready just yet, and Brooks Bollinger is not starter material in the NFL..

If we had a capable backup right now, then I strongly believe that Brad Johnson's days as a Viking would be numbered.. Depending what is available in FA this offseason, his days may be numbered anyways..

BJ just doesn't have what it takes anymore to be the main guy.. I backed him before the season started, but I am seeing on why this guy was ousted from every team that he has been on.. I like BJ as a person, and think he had a great career, but I don't want him as the starter on the Vikings anymore.. We gave Culpepper so much grief last season for making stupid decisions and fumbling the ball and now Johnson is doing the same exact thing..

When Culpepper did it, we wanted him gone.. Now that Johnson is doing it, so many people are putting the blame on our WR's.. Alot of the fault is the WR's, but they are not the ones throwing the ball into tight coverage and throwing INT's.. They are not the ones that can't hold onto to ball when getting hit.. Our offense as a whole is playing like crap, and something needs to be done soon before this is a wasted season..

tampaviking
11-06-2006, 07:59 PM
i have always liked brad, but his arm strength is so bad. some people take less steps to roll a bowling ball than he does to throw deep. but that aside there has been a but load of drops. but there has also been a butload of passes thrown into the dirt where recievers go down and get it and the play is over. i know he might have only threw 10 incompletions but so many completions are caught and thats it. maybe its play calling i don't know. i just hope he plays better

stateVIKE44
11-06-2006, 08:01 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Depending what is available in FA this offseason, his days may be numbered anyways...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/nfl/freeagents.html

Matt Schaub, RFA, Atlanta Falcons
Chris Simms, UFA, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Rohan Davey, RFA, Arizona Cardinals
Shaun King, UFA, Indianapolis Colts
John Navarre, RFA, Arizona Cardinals
Tim Rattay, UFA, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Seneca Wallace, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
Anthony Wright, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals

The only person on this list that I would see as a worth while pick-up would be Shaub. So, if you're going off of what's available in free agency the options are thin. If Johnson struggles throughout the rest of the year and the Vikes can't win the battle for Shaub, they are probably going to have make a trade for a proven veteran who will step in and do a good job while Tarvaris is still learning.

BigMoInAZ
11-06-2006, 08:08 PM
Just how reliable can a website be when they can't even list all UFAs for the 07 season?
Kansas City Chiefs QB Damon Huard will be a UFA and at age 33 could provide some great guidance for a young Tarvaris Jackson for the next season and if TJack isn't ready to start next season then Huard, who's having a career season, would be my preference over any of the QBs on the above list!
JM2CW! ;D

stateVIKE44
11-06-2006, 08:14 PM
"BigMoInAZ" wrote:

Just how reliable can a website be when they can't even list all UFAs for the 07 season?
Kansas City Chiefs QB Damon Huard will be a UFA and at age 33 could provide some great guidance for a young Tarvaris Jackson for the next season and if TJack isn't ready to start next season then Huard, who's having a career season, would be my preference over any of the QBs on the above list!
JM2CW! ;D

;D Not sure....that is a good point though. It said on the site that these were the "top-rated" FA's, and I'm sure that was at the beginning of the season when no one really expected Damon Huard to come in and do what he's doing for the Chiefs. Who knows?!? I should probably try for more credible sources next time.

singersp
11-06-2006, 09:29 PM
"BBQ" wrote:

In short, our offense is slow.
We need to be faster.
I'd love to sign some better receivers, but nobody's available.
You can't find good, fast, sure-handed receivers just walking around on the streets.
If the rest of the offense can't change fast enough, then our QB needs to change.
Specifically, he needs to change into Tarvaris Jackson.
We can wish for a better offense all we want, but that might not happen.
We need to consider the possibility of a QB who can give our offense the jolt of talent, youth, and energy it desperately needs.

IMO the only thing that will do is that you will have a younger QB throwing balls that the receivers will still drop. He'll have a stronger arm, but all that means is that they will be dropping balls further down the field.

The only thing it would bring to the game, is the ability for him to take off running & we certainly don't need our future QB running for his life & risking knee injury.

The receiver situation needs to be fixed first. Until we can prove to be a threat down field our opponents will continue to stack the box.

ejmat
11-16-2006, 08:02 AM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

I think that the main reason why Brad Johnson will continue to be our starter is because Brad Childress doesn't think Tarvaris Jackson is ready just yet, and Brooks Bollinger is not starter material in the NFL..

If we had a capable backup right now, then I strongly believe that Brad Johnson's days as a Viking would be numbered.. Depending what is available in FA this offseason, his days may be numbered anyways..

BJ just doesn't have what it takes anymore to be the main guy.. I backed him before the season started, but I am seeing on why this guy was ousted from every team that he has been on.. I like BJ as a person, and think he had a great career, but I don't want him as the starter on the Vikings anymore.. We gave Culpepper so much grief last season for making stupid decisions and fumbling the ball and now Johnson is doing the same exact thing..

When Culpepper did it, we wanted him gone.. Now that Johnson is doing it, so many people are putting the blame on our WR's.. Alot of the fault is the WR's, but they are not the ones throwing the ball into tight coverage and throwing INT's.. They are not the ones that can't hold onto to ball when getting hit.. Our offense as a whole is playing like crap, and something needs to be done soon before this is a wasted season..

Unless I misunderstand this I have to disagree with you.
The WRs are not holding onto the ball.
There has been several dropped passes and fumbles by the WRs.
That should rarely happen.
Everyone of the WRs have dropped passes this year.
I'm glad they promoted Jason Carter so he can get a chance to play and see how he does.
He may be an improvement from what we have now.

AngloVike
11-16-2006, 08:18 AM
"stateVIKE44" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Depending what is available in FA this offseason, his days may be numbered anyways...

The only person on this list that I would see as a worth while pick-up would be Shaub. So, if you're going off of what's available in free agency the options are thin. If Johnson struggles throughout the rest of the year and the Vikes can't win the battle for Shaub, they are probably going to have make a trade for a proven veteran who will step in and do a good job while Tarvaris is still learning.

and Shaub isn't the option - going by the NFL official stats Brooks Bollinger and Seneca Wallace have better passer ratings as they have actually tried more than one pass this year.
maybe we can have TJ become the starter and have BJ back where he was originally signed for - as back-up. His arm strength may be poor but he has a wealth of experience that he can pass on. The only drawback to that may be on the timeline that the coaching staff have decided upon for TJ.

V-Unit
11-16-2006, 06:45 PM
"AngloVike" wrote:

"stateVIKE44" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

and Shaub isn't the option - going by the NFL official stats Brooks Bollinger and Seneca Wallace have better passer ratings as they have actually tried more than one pass this year.
maybe we can have TJ become the starter and have BJ back where he was originally signed for - as back-up. His arm strength may be poor but he has a wealth of experience that he can pass on. The only drawback to that may be on the timeline that the coaching staff have decided upon for TJ.

I think its very unfair to discredit Schaub because he hasn't seen any playing time. When he has been in he has been good, and me might be an all-pro waiting to be unleashed. Give the backup a starting role and see what happens. If you need proof...Chester Taylor.

Ltrey33
11-16-2006, 07:11 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

"AngloVike" wrote:

"stateVIKE44" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

I think its very unfair to discredit Schaub because he hasn't seen any playing time. When he has been in he has been good, and me might be an all-pro waiting to be unleashed. Give the backup a starting role and see what happens. If you need proof...Chester Taylor.

I agree! People are basing their opinions for Tarvaris on potential, yet they fail to see the same thing in Schaub. The analysis of Schaub that I've heard says he is a good, strong armed quarterback that is well suited for the west coast offense. That sounds like a pretty good fit to me.

Personally, I don't see how you can discredit one guy for not being experienced (he's only thrown 66 passes) and turn around and say Tarvaris should start even though he's a rookie and has NEVER thrown an NFL pass.

Also, you can't base the guys performance or potential on 66 passes in relief duty. That's unfair.

On top of that, I have a hard time believing that Brad will ever go back to being a backup quarterback. He's made is pretty clear that he wants to be an NFL starter, and I think he'll pack it in before he becomes a 2nd stringer again.

marcosMN
11-16-2006, 07:27 PM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

"V-Unit" wrote:

"AngloVike" wrote:

"stateVIKE44" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

I agree! People are basing their opinions for Tarvaris on potential, yet they fail to see the same thing in Schaub. The analysis of Schaub that I've heard says he is a good, strong armed quarterback that is well suited for the west coast offense. That sounds like a pretty good fit to me.

Personally, I don't see how you can discredit one guy for not being experienced (he's only thrown 66 passes) and turn around and say Tarvaris should start even though he's a rookie and has NEVER thrown an NFL pass.

Also, you can't base the guys performance or potential on 66 passes in relief duty. That's unfair.

On top of that, I have a hard time believing that Brad will ever go back to being a backup quarterback. He's made is pretty clear that he wants to be an NFL starter, and I think he'll pack it in before he becomes a 2nd stringer again.

The one big difference between Schaub and T-Jax is one of them is already a Viking. Why would we want ANOTHER QB with potential? If you ask me, one young gun to train and groom is enough. We can't start them both at the same time, and Schaub is in no place to pass wisdom along.

He has none to give.

tampaviking
11-16-2006, 07:29 PM
i heard talk of making schaub the starter next year, he is supposedly better than vick at the offense they want to run there. and the offers he is going to get atl is going to have to match. they see a for real qb in him. not a highlight reel.that's just rumors from sports radio. but atl has got alot of thinking to do. any team with money is going to throw it at him.

AngloVike
11-17-2006, 07:03 AM
"SnoBumMN" wrote:

"Ltrey33" wrote:

"V-Unit" wrote:

"AngloVike" wrote:

"stateVIKE44" wrote:

The one big difference between Schaub and T-Jax is one of them is already a Viking. Why would we want ANOTHER QB with potential? If you ask me, one young gun to train and groom is enough. We can't start them both at the same time, and Schaub is in no place to pass wisdom along.

He has none to give.

Thats all we seem to hear about Schaub is potential and the same applies to TJ at the moment. He also could be the next great QB as well and at a much cheaper price than Atlanta are going to want for Schaub. Giving all the chat on message boards all around the league, and the NFL teams grapevine then Atlanta are going to want a HUGE price for Schaub - fancy another Hershel Walker type deal to secure him? cos I'm sure that I don't.

If we have to bring another QB in then it has to be to start for only one season and then accept being a backup after that.

whackthepack
11-17-2006, 09:34 AM
If Atlanta tenders him the highest offer they can (which they will) it would take a 1st and 3rd round pick to get Schaub, and a contract high enough that Atlanta doesn't match it.

I think it would have to be about 5 year contract for about 42 to 43 million, that is a lot ot play for somebody that has just been a backup and hasn't been a proven starter.

kramer9guy
11-17-2006, 10:58 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

If Atlanta tenders him the highest offer they can (which they will) it would take a 1st and 3rd round pick to get Schaub, and a contract high enough that Atlanta doesn't match it.

I think it would have to be about 5 year contract for about 42 to 43 million, that is a lot ot play for somebody that has just been a backup and hasn't been a proven starter.

I would much rather groom another young prospect than give up those kind of picks and that kind of $$ for Schaub. As far as I'm concerned, he hasn't proven anything that would merit those picks or $$. I would feel better if we could get Simms or Wallace at a better price. But, I'm still not convinced that Jackson won't be our future after Brad is done after this season. Nothing is out of the question. Who knows, we could all be surprised and see an entirely different vet in here next year that none of us would guess. We'll just have to wait and see what the Childress regime does in the offseason.

Del Rio
11-17-2006, 11:00 AM
Childress said when they drafted tarvaris that he is the perfect QB to sculpt into the teams leader and a great QB.

I think Tarvaris is our future.

Del Rio
11-17-2006, 11:06 AM
"I think you judge quarterbacks a little bit differently...When you see what you want at the quarterback position, you need to go get it. And that's exactly what I see with Tarvaris Jackson is a guy that's a piece of clay, that has all the skills in terms of, No. 1, what's he look like throwing the football?...He's got a great throwing motion; he's athletic. He has all those things that we're looking for, and he's wired right. That's important for a quarterback. I think he's a flatline guy. I think he's a sponge. You're talking about a guy that never had a coach there as a quarterback coach"

I have a feeling we won't be going after a pricey FA QB, I think Childress plans on Tarvaris IMO!

AngloVike
11-17-2006, 11:16 AM
"Del" wrote:

Childress said when they drafted tarvaris that he is the perfect QB to sculpt into the teams leader and a great QB.

thats the problem .. too many people aren't patient and want everything now and things don't work like that

Del Rio
11-17-2006, 11:35 AM
"AngloVike" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

thats the problem .. too many people aren't patient and want everything now and things don't work like that

It's not really a problem for you and I anglo, because the people calling the shots have a long term plan and are patient. Who cares if other fans are impatient, no ammount of bitching and whining is going to convince the coaching staff to go away from it's plans.

ultravikingfan
11-17-2006, 01:59 PM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

"V-Unit" wrote:

"AngloVike" wrote:

"stateVIKE44" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Great post Ltrey!

singersp
11-17-2006, 07:26 PM
"Del" wrote:

"I think you judge quarterbacks a little bit differently...When you see what you want at the quarterback position, you need to go get it. And that's exactly what I see with Tarvaris Jackson is a guy that's a piece of clay, that has all the skills in terms of, No. 1, what's he look like throwing the football?...He's got a great throwing motion; he's athletic. He has all those things that we're looking for, and he's wired right. That's important for a quarterback. I think he's a flatline guy. I think he's a sponge. You're talking about a guy that never had a coach there as a quarterback coach"

I have a feeling we won't be going after a pricey FA QB, I think Childress plans on Tarvaris IMO!

And like any piece of clay, it takes time to mold it, shape it & sculpt it into the piece you expect it to be.

The benefit I see here is his lack of quality coaching. Unlike a FA that is used to a system already, Tavarius is still green & doesn't have to be "de-programmed" fom another pro system to learn something new.

He's green, he's learning it Childress' way from day one & like you say, he's a sponge. He's eager & willing to learn & just as important, knows he has to & has the patience to wait, until Childress thinks he's ready.

ejmat
11-21-2006, 05:56 PM
Hey all, I'm not sure about any of you at this point but I'm thinking the Vikes aren't really going anywhere this season.
Therefore why not give TJack some playing time?
I'm not putting don Johnson in any way and I'm not blaming him for any of the losses.
Thos of you that know me, Know I have backed BJ from the beginning.
I'm just saying get the young man some experience so he may be ready to go full force next year.

What do you think?

Prophet
11-21-2006, 06:03 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

Hey all, I'm not sure about any of you at this point but I'm thinking the Vikes aren't really going anywhere this season.
Therefore why not give TJack some playing time?
I'm not putting don Johnson in any way and I'm not blaming him for any of the losses.
Thos of you that know me, Know I have backed BJ from the beginning.
I'm just saying get the young man some experience so he may be ready to go full force next year.

What do you think?

An excerpt from another thread:

Post-Daunte Saga
the Interim Brad Johnson Era
Daunte left.
The Vikings had the option to trade up for one of the ‘big three’ QBs in the draft or to sit tight and start to build up the new team.
The Vikings strengthened other positions during free agency and the draft and are counting on Brad Johnson to help in the conversion of a new offense while the theoretical new quarterback of the future, Tarvaris Jackson, is groomed. If you want to delve into the ‘start Tarvaris’ sect I beg you to at least read this thread (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=150&topic=28916.0) in its entirety before going off on some nonsensical tangent.
In that same thread, there is another post by Caine (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=150&topic=28916.130) that should be required reading at this juncture of the season.