PDA

View Full Version : A little perspective?

The Dropper
10-31-2006, 12:33 AM
That was a freakin' horrible loss. No doubt about it. But I had some flashbacks to one of last year's Monday Night games: Pittsburgh vs. Indianapolis. As I recall, the Steelers got their jiggly butts handed to them and had no answer for the Manning led offense.
Fast forward to the playoffs last year and it's the Colts that look like a fish out of water. Oh yeah, and whatever happened to those Steelers?

Now I'm not trying to predict a superbowl here. But calling on quarterback changes and acting like roof of the Metrodome is falling seems a bit premature. We're 4-3 with a whole lot of season left. We still have a great shot at making the playoffs, and once that happens, anything can happen. C'mon Vikes fans. This is no time to give whine like a bunch of nancies. What does one do when the going gets tough?

Caine
10-31-2006, 12:42 AM
The Dropper wrote:

What does one do when the going gets tough?

One kills Rookie Posters and hides their bodies under the porch...

I agree that the idea of benching Johnson is silly...we have no one to replace him.
But tonights performance was horrendous.
Our lack of Offensive productivity throughout the entire season (Except in Seattle) is killing us.
Johnson isn't the problem...but neither is he the solution.

Caine

marshallvike
10-31-2006, 12:48 AM
i know the refs f$%^ked us. and the game was out of hand, but didn't it look like the team completely quit ,(offense and defense) after bollinger came into the game?

Flaminglover
10-31-2006, 12:51 AM
I think they quit after the big kick return :( you could tell the defense came out fired up for the second half, than we got the moore TD, the crowd was going crazy, it felt like things were going our way than that happend.... that killed our comeback

Caine
10-31-2006, 01:07 AM
"marshallvike" wrote:

i know the refs f$%^ked us. and the game was out of hand, but didn't it look like the team completely quit ,(offense and defense) after bollinger came into the game?

The game was
- effectively - over when Bollinger came in.
Everyone knew that.
It was just a matter of letting time expire.

Caine

poult
10-31-2006, 01:19 AM
better have a big porch.........

you cant get rid of johnson, but someone does have to slap some sense into him.
he's not supposed to make mistakes, he looked like favre on 2 of his INTs.
the offense does need a jumpstart, no doubt about it, but come on it was the patriots, they are a good team, one of the best in the NFL, and the next 4 games we should be able to take.

thevikingfan
10-31-2006, 01:54 AM
4 tds and 7 picks through 7 weeks are not probowl numbers they arent even decent numbers heck kyle orton had better stats!Break out the offense!Spread them out do some trick plays reverses draws 4 wr setsgo with a no running back set just do something!

The Dropper
10-31-2006, 03:45 AM
"Caine" wrote:

The Dropper wrote:

What does one do when the going gets tough?

One kills Rookie Posters and hides their bodies under the porch...

I agree that the idea of benching Johnson is silly...we have no one to replace him.
But tonights performance was horrendous.
Our lack of Offensive productivity throughout the entire season (Except in Seattle) is killing us.
Johnson isn't the problem...but neither is he the solution.

Caine

Fine. Kill me and throw me under the porch (if you even have a porch
:P).

I actually am agreeing with most of your posts tonight, Caine, now that I've read them. This was a total team loss, and I definitely, as you say, blame the coaching staff, receivers, and O-line before I'd blame Brad. Nonetheless, all are to blame in one form or another.
So, you say that Brad is also not the solution. Well, what is? You've also argued against putting in backup QB's, so what is your solution?
Perhaps just ride out the rest of the season?
Well, that 's my solution, and it's what I was trying to get at in starting this thread. It's easy to get all worked up over an embarrassing loss, but a good team (and good fans) will get over the embarrassing games quickly, and move on to try and recapture what's left of a season.

Just for context, right before starting this thread, I ran into a coworker who happens to be a die-hard Seahawks fan. The two of us have a running trash-talking game going, so naturally, I called him last week immediately after stepping outside of Qwest Field to rub in the loss. Thus, when I tonight, I fully expected to eat my well-done serving of crow, but instead of rubbing it in (which he is normally all to pleased to do), he simply responded, "yeah, we all have games like that."

I guess in some way that just made me feel a little better about tonight, and a little more optimistic. Niners, Packers, Jets, Lions. Cripes. These teams stink. And we will too if we can't recover from this loss, but for now I remain prudently hopeful.

whackthepack
10-31-2006, 03:16 PM
"marshallvike" wrote:

Apparently except Belichick as he had his team continue to throw when the game was out of reach and tried to run up the score and I hope down the road we can repay him for that!

ultravikingfan
10-31-2006, 03:43 PM
"thevikingfan" wrote:

4 tds and 7 picks through 7 weeks are not probowl numbers they arent even decent numbers heck kyle orton had better stats!Break out the offense!Spread them out do some trick plays reverses draws 4 wr setsgo with a no running back set just do something!

We do not need Pro Bowl numbers to be successful.

You have to have the right QB in there to spread the offense.
Brad is not that guy and never has been.

IpartyWithSmoot
10-31-2006, 03:51 PM
Come on guys. Lets just move on. Brad is our man and he is about to lead us to an easy victory over the 49ers.

Now everybody get your heads up and lets start making fun of 49ers!!!!

ultravikingfan
10-31-2006, 03:58 PM
"IpartyWithSmoot" wrote:

Come on guys. Lets just move on. Brad is our man and he is about to lead us to an easy victory over the 49ers.

Heck yah brother!
Lets "partywithsmoot"!
You bring the toys and I'll bring the babes!

The Dropper
10-31-2006, 04:02 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"IpartyWithSmoot" wrote:

Heck yah brother!
Lets "partywithsmoot"!

I'll get McKinnie on the horn
;D

purplehorn
10-31-2006, 05:10 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"thevikingfan" wrote:
[quote]

We do not need Pro Bowl numbers to be successful.

You have to have the right QB in there to spread the offense.
Brad is not that guy and never has been.

11-5 since he took over for Daunte looks like some playoff numbers to me.
::)

V-Unit
10-31-2006, 06:09 PM
Here is my perspective:

Yes we lost horribly, but if you look at what Belicheck and and Brady did to our defense, I'm pretty optimistic about it when looking forward. It takes a genius coach and stud,star QB to pull off what the pats did against our defense. Even if other teams try to emulate them, I don't think they have the talent or smarts to do it.

Offensively, its all on Brad Johnson. He has had an up and down career, and its time for him to clean up the mess he made. I'm confident Brad will atone for his mistakes and move on. The worst thing Childress could do is bench him at any point this season. That doesn't solve anything.

BadlandsVikings
10-31-2006, 06:37 PM
My perspective is it's one loss if we keep stessing over it someones going to have a heart attack and die and won't get to watch anymore games.

IpartyWithSmoot
10-31-2006, 07:02 PM
"The" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"IpartyWithSmoot" wrote:

Heck yah brother!
Lets "partywithsmoot"!

I'll get McKinnie on the horn
;D

The doubled headed dildo is on the way!

singersp
10-31-2006, 08:19 PM
"IpartyWithSmoot" wrote:

Yeah, well, that's what a lot of members were saying about the Lions & they damn near handed us our asses. There will be no easy wins for us the rest of the season.

The world saw last night how easy it was to penetrate & exploit or defense with 7-10 yard passes & I expect most of them to try & follow suit.

Tomlin better devise a plan this week to counteract that type of attack or we're going to be in for a long season.

WaywardHoosier
10-31-2006, 08:23 PM
I thought it was over after the Patriots opening drive.
They moved down the field with such ease.

The Viking secondary was no match for the Patriots and the Patriots knew it.

The Viking offense could have made the game close in the first half but Johnson was too busy throwing the game away.

Well now we know that the Vikings have a lot to improve on.

PurpleRide
10-31-2006, 08:26 PM
"IpartyWithSmoot" wrote:

I dont think anyone here should overlook the 49ers.
We are not as good as the bears, so thinking we will put up numbers like they did is dumb thinking.
They have a real good RB, alex smith is starting to get it, and the vikings seem to have bad games in san fran.
I hope the D can come back to form, without them we are screwed as long as johnson is the QB

WaywardHoosier
10-31-2006, 08:44 PM
It is time to see how the coaching staff responds.
It is their job to correct the short pass problem.
The Patriots passing game was sharp but c'mon, the Vikings made it look way too easy.

In perspective, the Bears destroyed the 49ers. The 49ers are a far cry from the Patriots and Bears.
However, the 49ers will win if the Vikings are not prepared. Just ask the Rams.

Let's hope for improvement and learn from a very poorly played game.