PDA

View Full Version : Time to start a QB controversy!

Garland Greene
10-30-2006, 11:11 PM
Serioulsly,
put T-jack or Bollinger in, and give them a chance to start next week.
Johnson needs to sit his butt on the bench for a game or two

thevikingfan
10-30-2006, 11:15 PM
Bollinger is officially in.....i dont know if im happy or confused.I really dont know what to think ???

Garland Greene
10-30-2006, 11:16 PM
"thevikingfan" wrote:

Bollinger is officially in.....i dont know if im happy or confused.I really dont know what to think ???

It can't get any worse

Gift
10-30-2006, 11:17 PM
"THEBIGDADDY" wrote:

"thevikingfan" wrote:

It can't get any worse
It doesnt look like it is getting any better either.

marantzo
10-30-2006, 11:17 PM
Well there's your answer.

thevikingfan
10-30-2006, 11:18 PM
bollinger 2 plays two sacks

thevikingfan
10-30-2006, 11:18 PM
im sorry 3 plays 3 sacks :'( :'( :'( :'(

V4L
10-30-2006, 11:19 PM
HAHAHA! The hat-trick..

Throw in T-Jack.. Not sure it'd help.. But let him try

One Love

thevikingfan
10-30-2006, 11:20 PM
Brad and bollinger arent doing jack (no pun intended) bring in Tjack!

Ltrey33
I have no idea what to think. I don't like the idea of benching Brad, but another game like this and I don't know if we have a choice. I mean, he was horrendous tonight.

I don't know if Bollinger can do any better, and I don't think TJ can being so inexperienced, but man. This is ridiculous.

Gift
We lost this game as an organization, blaming one guy is easy, but not acurate.

We were out coached
Our D was owned
Our O was owned
Our Special teams scored once, but pathetic other than that.
& The Refs Owned us.

vikes09
10-30-2006, 11:22 PM
i think johnson needs to get his butt off the bench in this one IMO. and starting bollinger is just as bad considering he had 3 sacks in a row. this is domination by the patriots, and sloppy, crappy play by the vikes. t-jack is the emergency qb, but it sure seems like an emergency out there.

get ready for the media to start hatin' on the vikes come teusday mornin.

BBQ Platypus
10-30-2006, 11:22 PM
I don't know...I think most of the blame lies with our piss-poor, unimaginative offensive coordinator.
I mean, at least in the Tice-Linehan era we were able to take what defenses gave us (run when advantageous, pass when advantageous).
Unfortunately, like President Bush, the guy we have picks a gameplan and "stays the course" (read: two tight-end sets) regardless of whether or not it works.
But I think this game is going to put an end to the talk of three more years of Brad.

ultravikingfan
10-30-2006, 11:23 PM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

I have no idea what to think. I don't like the idea of benching Brad, but another game like this and I don't know if we have a choice. I mean, he was horrendous tonight.

I don't know if Bollinger can do any better, and I don't think TJ can being so inexperienced, but man. This is ridiculous.

Brad will start next week.
If anybody else did would be as if we are throwing in the towel.

Garland Greene
10-30-2006, 11:23 PM
I stand correected it can get worse >:( >:( >:(

fabybaby32
10-30-2006, 11:25 PM
I dont know if its brad but something needs to change.
Our redzone offense is atrocious.
Im not the kind of guy to want a change over one game, but we need to get something going inside the redzone.

DeathtoDenny
10-30-2006, 11:28 PM
The TUNA put in Romo because they had a better shot to win. Any coach with balls would do the same. We have Bollinger, a tested starter who can throw more that 30 yards. Put Johnson out to pasture and wave goodbye to the NFC North and winning a playoff game.

Garland Greene
"Gift" wrote:

We lost this game as an organization, blaming one guy is easy, but not acurate.

We were out coached
Our D was owned
Our O was owned
Our Special teams scored once, but pathetic other than that.
& The Refs Owned us.

I agree with you on that but somewhere there has to be some accredibility and some
ownership from the players about how they are playing.
If that player cannot do the job then let someone else do it. Even when we win Johnson looks Average at best. You have to question if he has anything left

PurplePride80
I can't believe you think we should bench Brad Johnson.
:o

Brad Johnson hasn't played well for the last 2 or 3 games, but it's not like we have a good backup QB on our roster.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, the Vikings have to produce a strong running game for Brad Johnson to improve his play.

I don't know if you've noticed, but when were running the ball well, Brad Johnson always has a good game.

V4L
10-30-2006, 11:29 PM
Should have brought in Jerry Porter.. Dang

I really doubt Brad is the problem.. Of course he isn't the best.. But he is our best option probably.. But I do think T-Jack should get a couple reps and see if a more mobile QB can helps us out a bit..

One Love

marantzo
10-30-2006, 11:29 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"Ltrey33" wrote:

Brad will start next week.
If anybody else did would be as if we are throwing in the towel.

Yes it would. We have what should be a soft second half of the season and it would be ridiculous to put in another quarterback. The Patriots kicked the crap out of us, but they may be the best team in the NFL, so it's no time to throw in the towel. We are a team that is just in it's first year, pretty well from top to bottom. Don't forgetg that.

ItalianStallion
10-30-2006, 11:30 PM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

The fact is, none of our QBs will play much better this year.
But I refuse to believe that TarJack can play much worse than Brad has done this year, at the very least he can gain some experience.

thevikingfan
10-30-2006, 11:30 PM
Goodbye media respcet it has been a nice week :'( tommorow it will be HEADLINE:vikings are choke at home drop to 32 in power rankings :'(

Gift
10-30-2006, 11:33 PM
Bollinger's check downs are worlds different than BJ's. :-*

wco(or our version of it) sucks.

Garland Greene
10-30-2006, 11:35 PM
"PurplePride80" wrote:

I can't believe you think we should bench Brad Johnson.
:o

Brad Johnson hasn't played well for the last 2 or 3 games, but it's not like we have a good backup QB on our roster.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, the Vikings have to produce a strong running game for Brad Johnson to improve his play.

I don't know if you've noticed, but when were running the ball well, Brad Johnson always has a good game.

He has still played Average at best.
is there something better? I don't know but
something needs to be figured out not just for this year but the
immediate future as well. Especially if T-Jack is a year or 2 away and those interceptions and bad passes where on BJ. BJ along with others deserve some strong criticiism this year.

DustinDupont
10-30-2006, 11:36 PM
brad ant the problem but i would rather have tarvaris in

DeathtoDenny
10-30-2006, 11:39 PM
Should I bring up the fact that we have a Favre INT counter when Johnson is far worse?

Ltrey33
10-30-2006, 11:41 PM
We have to keep Brad in. I don't like the way we've played, but we can still salvage our team and Brad gives us the best chance to do that, IMO.

marantzo
10-30-2006, 11:43 PM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

We have to keep Brad in. I don't like the way we've played, but we can still salvage our team and Brad gives us the best chance to do that, IMO.

Right youj are.

PurplePride80
10-30-2006, 11:45 PM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

You d@mn right he does, and anyone who dosen't think so, is on crack.

It's not like Joe Montana is on our roster.

Who else are we going to start?

Brooks Bollinger? LOL, you've got to be kidding me.

Tavaris Jackson, a rookie who is recovering from an injury?

Get real, number 14 will be under center this Sunday.

V4L
10-30-2006, 11:49 PM
"PurplePride80" wrote:

"Ltrey33" wrote:

You d@mn right he does, and anyone who dosen't think so, is on crack.

It's not like Joe Montana is on our roster.

Who else are we going to start?

Brooks Bollinger? LOL, you've got to be kidding me.

Tavaris Jackson, a rookie who is recovering from an injury?

Get real, number 14 will be under center this Sunday.

I forgot about that injury..

Butttttttttttttt.. If it was me.. I would see if Tarvaris is able to go.. And if he is get him some reps and see if a more mobile QB can help this offense a bit

Brad definitley gets the start.. But work in T-Jack or something?

One Love

marcosMN
10-30-2006, 11:50 PM
I'll bet my grandma would play qb...

She doesn't have sh!t to do these days...

Bdubya
10-30-2006, 11:52 PM
The sad truth is that Brad gives us the best chance to win.
We will lose a lot more games this year if he plays this bad, but if he manages a game like he is supposed to, we should be fine.

olson_10
10-30-2006, 11:55 PM
more than anything this should be an offense controversy..everybody on that offense has been inconsistent at one point or another

Vikes
10-31-2006, 12:04 AM
Brad is the man. Stop whining! We lost against one of the great coaches and teams.

We could not run because we got behind. The Pats set the tempo last night.

Good Plays by the 'D' just the 'O' is still lacking.

Gift
10-31-2006, 12:05 AM
"Vikes" wrote:

Brad is the man. Stop whining! We lost against one of the great coaches and teams.

We could not run because we got behind. The Pats set the tempo last night.

Good Plays by the 'D' just the 'O' is still lacking.

You are right on everything but the "running".
We never tried to run, period.

sandviking
10-31-2006, 12:06 AM
It looked to me like we were just plain dominated.
Brad Johnson is still our best bet.
I believe that Coach Childress put Bolinger in to try and get a spark.
Toward the end, it looked like it was working despite his first set of downs.

bmc342
10-31-2006, 12:14 AM
well i know this offense isn't going to be very good while Johnson is in there.
sure, he is a very smart quarterback, but that's about all he is.
his throwing accuracy is terrible beyond about 10-15 yds, so all he's really good for are short passes that really do nothing.
johnson is not a playmaker, he's just a guy that doesn't throw many interceptions.
it also doesn't help that his best receiver (Williamson) has stone hands and sloth-like reflexes.
no matter how good a receiver is, he's not worth crap if he can't catch the dang ball

stateVIKE44
10-31-2006, 12:20 AM
"DeathtoDenny" wrote:

The TUNA put in Romo because they had a better shot to win. Any coach with balls would do the same. We have Bollinger, a tested starter who can throw more that 30 yards. Put Johnson out to pasture and wave goodbye to the NFC North and winning a playoff game.

That is a Key statement.....It is killing us that Brad cannot throw more than 30 yards ,and if he does some how sling it out there that far without dislocating his arm it is way off the mark. He cannot put the ball on the money when he throws the deep ball so teams don't have to respect that part of the offense at all.

kramer9guy
10-31-2006, 12:21 AM
I said it in the chat during the game and I'll repeat it here.

BJ haters are still going to be BJ haters. Williamson apologists are still going to be Williamson apologists. And vice versa...but, the facts are the facts...

BJ did make some big mistakes, but that is not normally his MO. Stats don't impress me, wins do. Tonight was just one of those games.

Troy Williamson dropped another big pass, deja friggin vu. I'm completely fed up with the drops.

We need better WR's. Childress does need to tighten up the play calling. And down the road (as in next year or the season after)...we need an upgrade at the QB position (like it or not, no stop gap rookie is going to solve our offensive woes). As we stand right now, Brad gives us the best chance at winning games from the QB position.

Simply put, we were beaten by a better team tonight (bad ref calls and game momentum aside). Now, let's regroup and start a winning streak to go into post-season with.

CCthebest
10-31-2006, 12:27 AM
Everyone keeps talking about how smart Brad is. You know how many INT's he has this year? And how he cant throw the ball more then 5 yards and be accurate. But hes all we got. I blmae the coaching staff for not having either a better starting QB or better backup. And for not having receivers. Even though Troy did a much better job tonight.

kramer9guy
10-31-2006, 12:29 AM
Receivers, receivers, receivers...

sigh... :(

Caine
10-31-2006, 12:33 AM
There is no controversy this season.
Unless Johnson gets hurt, we have NO ONE on our roster good enough to take over.
Let me stress that for those of you who aren't thinking clearly...We have NO ONE good enough to take over right now.

Jackson isn't ready - and we'd possibly ruin him by dropping him in too early - and Bollinger...well, we all saw Bollinger tonight.
Just like Johnson...just shorter.

Next topic.

Caine

UndisputedVike
10-31-2006, 12:35 AM
Not even going to start, if we wanted our QB to make rookie mistakes we would have started a rookie QB, Brad isn't getting it done, sure he keeps us in games but he has made some very very bad decisions that take us out of games. If Brad comes out and does that crap against San Fran then, we might as well start Bollinger.

I'm glad we didn't pay Brad starter money, cause he's not playing like a starter.

MaddenVodkaAddict
10-31-2006, 12:40 AM
With the remaining schedule, I don't think it would be worth the risk to bench Mr. Johnson, for he is awesome.

V4L
10-31-2006, 12:41 AM
There won't be a QB controversy..

So did anyone have Tom Brady on fantasy this game?

One Love

jmmcgorman
10-31-2006, 12:55 AM
I think that the problem is inconsistancy.
Its like a when you fix your car, the new part pulls on the old part and breaks that one.
Do we have fast wide receivers? Yes, Do they get open, sometimes.
But when they do, johnson is going down.
When johnson has time, our dismal receiving team can't get open. I am tired of dropped passes. I was reading somewhere the other day that williamson at the time i was reading it was leading the league in dropped passes.
So even when johnson puts it right on the money, we drop the ball.
Can we run the ball? Sometimes.
We are very off and on with that.
Williamson is seeming more and more a fluke this year.
I understand that players like steve smith didn't come out until their third year.
But they had guys like musin to play with.
Johnson also won his super bowl with Keyshawn Johnson to throw to.
We lose our number one wide receiver, and yes i know everybody says we don't know how well he would have done, nevertheless williamson is thrown into the role.
Everybody says that wiggins is having a down year.
Thats because he is covered.
The other receivers are not demanding a lot of coverage and the defenses know that we will go to wiggins, so they cover him and don't worry about our WR's.

I understand the season isn't over, however a lot has to develope for us to have a hope of beating chicago or anyone in the playoffs.
As for bringing in brooks bollinger i hope that was because of tavaris healing up from surgery.
Because brooks sucks.
Tavaris didn't throw a pick all preaseason.
If johnson were to go down, you bring in your QB of the future, and that is not brooks.

VikingsTw
10-31-2006, 02:27 AM
"Caine" wrote:

Unless Johnson gets hurt, we have NO ONE on our roster good enough to take over.
Let me stress that for those of you who aren't thinking clearly...We have NO ONE good enough to take over right now.

Jackson isn't ready - and we'd possibly ruin him by dropping him in too early - and Bollinger...well, we all saw Bollinger tonight.

Next topic.

Caine

How do you know Caine? Are you at there practice, i don't think anyone really knows if he's ready.

I usually never disagree with you and your posts but you seem to be really really agains't Tavaris. I don't believe it can get much worse, i don't see Tavaris starting next week and throwing give me INT's just because he' suposobly not ready. If he did start next week i would be %100 precent comfortable that he could give us a chance to win. He has the ability to run the ball when the WR's arn't available, and when they are and that oline gives him some time it will only be a matter of hooking up deep with the WR's. It would make our running game so much better if we could just put a little fear of the deep ball in the minds of opposing defenses. Not just that but what he brings to the table, defenses are gonna have to prepare for a very dangerous kid. The way defenses go about game planning for us would most likely change drastcily.

If i where a 49ers defender i would pray childress sticks with brad.

BigMoInAZ
10-31-2006, 04:54 AM
"V4L" wrote:

There won't be a QB controversy..

So did anyone have Tom Brady on fantasy this game?

One Love
The other guy did and made up a 16 point deficit and beat me by 5.5!

And get this, I had Longwell as my kicker and he makes one extra point!
Longwell!
Guys averages at least 2 FGs a week!
Out offense couldn't even get FGs, at home last night! SOB!

Del Rio
10-31-2006, 06:22 AM
"VikingsTw" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

Next topic.

Caine

How do you know Caine? Are you at there practice, i don't think anyone really knows if he's ready.

I usually never disagree with you and your posts but you seem to be really really agains't Tavaris. I don't believe it can get much worse, i don't see Tavaris starting next week and throwing give me INT's just because he' suposobly not ready. If he did start next week i would be %100 precent comfortable that he could give us a chance to win. He has the ability to run the ball when the WR's arn't available, and when they are and that oline gives him some time it will only be a matter of hooking up deep with the WR's. It would make our running game so much better if we could just put a little fear of the deep ball in the minds of opposing defenses. Not just that but what he brings to the table, defenses are gonna have to prepare for a very dangerous kid. The way defenses go about game planning for us would most likely change drastcily.

If i where a 49ers defender i would pray childress sticks with brad.

You know who does know? Coaching. So if you don't see him playing then it is safe to assume he isn't ready. Unless your one of these radical conspiracy fans that think Brad Childress is racist.

I thought last night would have been the perfect time to throw in the 2nd stringer. We were getting outplayed IN EVERY department. Sit Brad and get a young guy some reps. Start Brad next week if he earns it in practice. He played a horrible game.

JellyBean2144
10-31-2006, 06:50 AM
It does make it interesting. We are 4-3. Still in the hunt for a playoff spot, for now. Do we junk Brad Johnson and go right to panic mode and play T-Jackson or Bollinger? I say give Brad this week, against San Fran, if he fails against that team; we gotta go in a different direction.

Because right now, we have the 49ers, Fackers, Miami, and Arizona, before we play the Bears. 4 games against some good teams, but very beatable. If Brad does not get it done against San Fran, we let Jackson or Bollinger take over.

Mr. Purple
10-31-2006, 08:48 AM
I wish Childress would have put T-Jack in last night when the game was clearly over.I would have like to have seen him get some snaps.Bollinger looked like a "kitty" out there.

snowinapril
10-31-2006, 08:53 AM
No way, I am not giving up on this season yet.
BJ still gives us the best option to win.

cogitans
10-31-2006, 09:00 AM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

I wish Childress would have put T-Jack in last night when the game was clearly over.I would have like to have seen him get some snaps.Bollinger looked like a "kitty" out there.

TJack was 3rd/reserve QB last night. Hence he couldn't go in there unless the two first were unable to play

PurpleRide
10-31-2006, 10:20 AM
If johnson is the best option, we might as well tank it and get a good draft pick.
Johnson will not win in the playoffs, his ability prevents him from being a average QB.
He sucks, he has not had one good game this year.
With last years D, we would be sharing time with the lions right now.
Put T-jack in, i am sure he will have more than 4 TD's in 7 games.
I am sure he will be able to move the ball for more than one drive.
Johnson gives us the option to be an average team, he gives the vikings the best chance to bring back the black-outs as well.
No one wants to watch this crap he is doing on the O side of the ball.

Del Rio
10-31-2006, 10:48 AM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

If johnson is the best option, we might as well tank it and get a good draft pick.
Johnson will not win in the playoffs, his ability prevents him from being a average QB.
He sucks, he has not had one good game this year.
With last years D, we would be sharing time with the lions right now.
Put T-jack in, i am sure he will have more than 4 TD's in 7 games.
I am sure he will be able to move the ball for more than one drive.
Johnson gives us the option to be an average team, he gives the vikings the best chance to bring back the black-outs as well.
No one wants to watch this crap he is doing on the O side of the ball.

You were pissing your pants about black outs before the season started lol. Not happening as was told to you many times. 4-3 is not bad shape especially with our opponents we will be facing soon.

And again T-Jack is 3rd string. He isn't worth a shit if he can't even beat out Brooks.

CCthebest
10-31-2006, 10:49 AM
Childress wont play TJ cause he just had surgery. Doubt they play the future of the Vikes till hes 100% ready. He also is a rookie and even though other teams play rookies, childress wont.

BloodyHorns82
10-31-2006, 10:57 AM
I have to admit I'm losing SOME faith in Johnson.
However he's still our best option IMO.
We don't have anybody other quarterbacks that are good enough to start controversy.
Rookie from small time school with no experience...no thank you.
Bolinger!... no thanks.
We need to stick with Brad.

V4L
10-31-2006, 11:03 AM
I find it funny how people are bashing Brooks so bad now too..

He looked lost his first set.. Yes.. But he was just coming off the bench.. Wasn't into the swing of the game.. And was playing the same D Brad Johnson was who also looked horrible..

After his first set he started moving the chains and got us down towards the goalline, then threw that pick..

Otherwise I thought he looked pretty decent..

If I was Childress I would look at this and decide.. Do we want to pull a Big Tuna move and throw in OUR Tony Romo..

One Love

mewario
10-31-2006, 11:19 AM
people need to stop saying Brad Johnson gives us the best chance to win!!!

Yes, he's a veteran, and yes, maybe we can sneak into the playoffs with him at the helm.

but there is no way we are winning the Super Bowl with him as our QB.
If we can't do that, there's no point.

Whenever Brad Johnson rolls out, which Childress has him doing repeatedly, you know there's no threat to run.
And you know he has no arm strength to throw downfield.
So he's dumping it off every time for 3 yards.

With his first interception, he had time to wind up, and still threw a lame duck up that didn't even come close to 50 yards.
He's a statue in the pocket, and let's defenses dictate what they do to us.

With T-Jack in there, defenses at least have to respect that we have the possibility of a running QB, and it would open up wonders for our offense.

Right now, they're just sitting back, and giving us our 3 yards a completion.

Del Rio
10-31-2006, 11:27 AM
"V4L" wrote:

He looked lost his first set.. Yes.. But he was just coming off the bench.. Wasn't into the swing of the game.. And was playing the same D Brad Johnson was who also looked horrible..

After his first set he started moving the chains and got us down towards the goalline, then threw that pick..

If I was Childress I would look at this and decide.. Do we want to pull a Big Tuna move and throw in OUR Tony Romo..

One Love

I wouldn't be opposed to starting either T-Jack or Brooks. My only concern is if these guys have prooven they can do the job then why are they not starting? You almost have to assume Brad Childress is incompetent. I'm not willing to claim that. Not when he is doing what he has with a young team.

SharperVikings
10-31-2006, 11:28 AM
"JellyBean2144" wrote:

It does make it interesting. We are 4-3. Still in the hunt for a playoff spot, for now. Do we junk Brad Johnson and go right to panic mode and play T-Jackson or Bollinger? I say give Brad this week, against San Fran, if he fails against that team; we gotta go in a different direction.

Because right now, we have the 49ers, Fackers, Miami, and Arizona, before we play the Bears. 4 games against some good teams, but very beatable. If Brad does not get it done against San Fran, we let Jackson or Bollinger take over.

To win the game we all love, we have to have 11 guys executing on each side of the ball.
Last night we did not, and that is why we deserved to loose.
That is the secret to New Englands success.
The perfect everything and make every single player work at the same time to accomplish the same goal.
They know exactly what they have to do, when to do it, and they to THEIR job, not someone elses.

This would be the perfect time to put in a new quarterback!
Against 4 not that good teams coming up, I think we should put a new quarterback in.
I was impressed with what bollinger did, up to the interception.
I know for a fact that coach childress will not put t-jack in until he is ready, unless both johnson and bollinger get injured.
I really wish that we would just throw T-jack in to see what he can do.
During the preseason, he looked good, but that was the preseason.

Opposing defenses can plan very well against our defenses.
All they have to do is play up in the box.
They know that d-backs can stay on our recievers, and they know bj cant throw the ball that well down field.
This also hurts big time against the run.
If we could throw t-jack in there, there would be a threat to run, deep ball AND pass short, along with our running game.
This would be the ultimate weapon!!
Although I know coach childress wont put t-jack in, I think its time to see what he can do against the 49ers!

V4L
10-31-2006, 11:32 AM
I'm confident the coaching staff with make the right decision.. Whatever they choose to do I will fully support,
I got thier back 100 percent

Couple things I do want to point out though...

1. Brad is the statue.. Said many, many, many times.. He holds the ball too long and gets sacked because of it.. Throw it away!!!

2. I hate having Brad roll out.. It's stupid.. He is horrible throwing when he does it

3. All he does is throw the little dump passes off.. And he is pretty unaccurate with those as well.. I saw a couple crossing patterns.. 5 yards out that he threw right behind the WR.. Now tell me why can't Brooks do this?

4. Alot of people are saying.. We are above 500 and Brad is winning for us.. Well he really isn't... It's the D and special teams and a wee bit of luck thrown in.. The Cowboys were winning also, but benched Bledsoe for Romo and it helped out alot.. He had a solid first game and should be good the rest of the season.. Brad and Bledsoe ar both over the hill

So yah, just a couple things I noticed.. Could be wrong totally.. Maybe i'm dead on.. I just wanna see Brooks get a shot.. I think he can do what Brad does every time he throws the ball (Dump passes or inaccurate deep balls) He might even do it better.. Who knows?

One Love

V4L
10-31-2006, 11:37 AM
"Del" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

One Love

I wouldn't be opposed to starting either T-Jack or Brooks. My only concern is if these guys have prooven they can do the job then why are they not starting? You almost have to assume Brad Childress is incompetent. I'm not willing to claim that. Not when he is doing what he has with a young team.

Yah, that's true..

I really can't see what Chilldy sees in Brad J? If he plays well in practice it certainly doesn't transfer over onto the field..

I'm just wondering if Brooks could do any better.. Do ya think he could really do any worse? 4-7 interception ratio.. I bet Brooks would be about on par.. Possibly better.. I'd like to see.. Just give him a shot..

We have 4 supposed to be easy games coming up.. It would be the ideal time to see what one of our back up QB's is made of

One Love

whackthepack
10-31-2006, 12:04 PM
I would not have brought T-Jack into that situation last night!
I was happy that Chilly took out Brad and put Bollinger, but it was not the time to bring a rookie into a ass whooping and the Pats were still whooping ass because Bollinger got sacked 3 straight plays!
And that is not the way to introduce a rookie to the NFL in his 1st regular season game, and would have in my opinion done more harm than good!

VikingDawg
10-31-2006, 12:10 PM
I think the thing that really hurts us is the fact that we can't stretch the field with B. Johnson...I mean, it was completely obvious last night that if he isn't able to put his whole body weight behind the throw...it just has no mustard at all, so we are stuck throwing the short dump offs...hell maybe more screens, I don't know.
I'm not calling for T. Jackson at all, or necessairly a change...something needs to be done, better pass protection...whatever...I'm not the coach and don't pretend to be one.

ultravikingfan
10-31-2006, 03:29 PM
It's funny how we all sit here (some of us) and sya put T-Jack in.
Like we know how well he has progressed so far.
Like we see him on the practice field all day.

I think we need some applications to be on the coaching staff because apparantly we seem to know what's best for the team rather than Brad and Co.
I mean he did look good against other than first team defenses in the meaningless preseason, right?

PurpleRide
10-31-2006, 03:48 PM
I dont know how this O can get any worse by having the other QB's playing, the other ones have much better arms, better legs.
I dont think mr johnson is managing the game as well as people thought he would.
He still cannot run this team, he couldnt last year, he was lucky last year just like this year to have a D win games.
The problem is, when we play balanced teams like NE, we will lose every time with johnson as the QB.
He is a back-up.
Gus would do a better job at the helm than this guy.
If the vikings keep this guy as the starter, we can all start looking for the draft, we can all start looking for next year.

Del Rio
10-31-2006, 03:50 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

I dont know how this O can get any worse by having the other QB's playing, the other ones have much better arms, better legs.
I dont think mr johnson is managing the game as well as people thought he would.
He still cannot run this team, he couldnt last year, he was lucky last year just like this year to have a D win games.
The problem is, when we play balanced teams like NE, we will lose every time with johnson as the QB.
He is a back-up.
If the vikings keep this guy as the starter, we can all start looking for the draft, we can all start looking for next year.

Sounds great come back next year and we will chat it up. C-ya then ;D

triedandtruevikesfan
10-31-2006, 04:18 PM
I'm sitting here scratching my head.
Every year we go through this.
We lose a couple of games and everyone wants to switch QB's.
God... when I first joined this site, it was in Daunte's prime when he had Moss and people were calling for his head then when our D just plain let us get out scored.

Like it or not... Johnson is our QB.
He absolutely gives us the best chance at winning anything this year.
He is not our long term solution by any means... T-Jack needs more time to learn the NFL and Bollinger, well... I'm sick of having other teams cast-off scrubs as our back up.
McMahon was signed because Childress used to coach him.... at least he realized that he wasn't going to work out so he signed a different scrub that he used to coach.

Our D is better than they looked last night IMO.
We need to add a couple players on that side of the ball, but more so a lot of good players will be coming back from injuries next year and that will definitely help.

We need offense.
I couldn't stand to live like the Bears have for years and years with an amazing D but no offense to compliment them.
We may not need a new Daunte and Moss, but we need play makers.

That is all things to do in the offseason though.
I don't think there are really any changes that can be made right now player wise.
I think we need to look at play calling on both sides of the ball.
It really made me mad that they didn't change the defensive game plan at all last night when nothing we were doing was working.
And we can not give up on the run game, or we are never going to open up the passing game.
Johnson just plain doesn't have the skill or the arm of some of the great QB's out there.
He is a very competent QB, but he's not going to make some of the plays that the better younger QB's can... he isn't mobile and he just doesn't have the arm to throw it down field accurately.
We need to realize the talent that we have and formulate the game plan accordingly.
I don't feel we did that yesterday.

As for the loss.
Its not the end of the world, no reason to pack it in for the season... the Pats (like it or hate it) ARE a good team.
Tom Brady (puke) IS a good QB.
They are who I thought they were... so now you can crown them ;)

PurpleRide
10-31-2006, 04:19 PM
"Del" wrote:

"PurpleRide" wrote:

He is a back-up.

I'm not going anywhere.
I know this QB cannot win games for us, he was lucky last year to have a emerging D and a soft schedule.
He was exposed this year, he cannot throw the ball, he cannot "manage" the game.
The sooner childress accepts he needs to change it up, the better this team will be

Del Rio
10-31-2006, 04:22 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"PurpleRide" wrote:

He is a back-up.

I'm not going anywhere.
I know this QB cannot win games for us, he was lucky last year to have a emerging D and a soft schedule.
He was exposed this year, he cannot throw the ball, he cannot "manage" the game.
The sooner childress accepts he needs to change it up, the better this team will be

Well its gonna be a long season for you because our third string QB isn't coming in the game anytime soon. Brad will get to the playoffs and then they will take it from there. Pray for an injury I guess or the wheels to fall off, but if Brad Johnson is starting he is the best man for the job.

There is no reason Childress wouldn't put the guy out there that he felt put them in the best position to win.

BigMoInAZ
10-31-2006, 04:28 PM
ROTFLMAO!
Chili did decide already!
He kept BJ and traded Pep for peanuts.
Of course we now have TJack to pin our hopes on!
Got to remember, Chili can do no wrong and has carte blanche till year 3.
Then we can chasten his coaching and management skills.
Till then partner, buck up and strap in!

NodakPaul
10-31-2006, 04:31 PM
PurpleRide, I understand your frustration, and I agree that BJ is not the best QB out there.
But he is the best one on our team.
TJ will be, but he isn't there yet, and I don't want to risk his NFL future by putting him before he is ready.

He may have had a soft schedule last year and an emerging defense... but he will have the same thing the second half of this season.
If he goes 7-2 over the last nine games like he did last year, I will be estatic.
I honestly believe that the best chance we have to make it to the playoffs
if by keeping BJ at the helm.

NodakPaul
10-31-2006, 04:32 PM
"BigMoInAZ" wrote:

ROTFLMAO!
Chili did decide already!
He kept BJ and traded Pep for peanuts.
Of course we now have TJack to pin our hopes on!
Got to remember, Chili can do no wrong and has carte blanche till year 3.
Then we can chasten his coaching and management skills.
Till then partner, buck up and strap in!

And look at how well Pep is doing in Maimi... ::)

Freya
10-31-2006, 04:33 PM
Because changing QB's now, will ABSOLUTELY as well as INSTANTLY fix all the problems with our WR's,
those critically timed penalties AND scoring TDs from the red zone.

BigMoInAZ
10-31-2006, 04:34 PM
Yeah, I hear yeah nodak.
Point being, the peanuts are unnoticeable! ::)

tastywaves
10-31-2006, 04:41 PM
Brad had a bad day, a really bad day.
When you're an average qb and you have a bad day its not good.
Everybody else in purple seemed to take the day off as well (including the refs).
New England came in and put a shot of reality into the Vikes, they got outcoached and outplayed.

Thats cool though, do it now at mid-season.
Seattle took the same licking from us, I'm sure they haven't counted their season out yet. Take advantage of the soft schedule to build up a playoff run and who knows.

BJ's days may be numbered (I lost count at 14000), but I can't see taking him out of the starting spot yet.
Barring injury, I don't think he'll sit unless we're in a position where we're trying to build a qb for the future and giving up on the season.

Having a set of stud WR's would help, but the Patriots seemed to do just fine without them.

whackthepack
10-31-2006, 04:43 PM
"BigMoInAZ" wrote:

Yeah, I hear yeah nodak.
Point being, the peanuts are unnoticeable! ::)

It was a second round pick what they did with it is besides the point!
They got a second rounder for a guy that was whining and making so much noise in the media that teams knew they could get him for little to nothing! He had a blown out knee!
And he was due a 6 million dollar signing bonus!

Who I wonder why they only got a second rounder for him?
I am surprised they got what they did!

And that knee is holding up so well!

BigMoInAZ
10-31-2006, 04:51 PM
Guys, this isn't about Pep and what he did or didn't do!
This is about the ownership and coach and management decided to do in the first place and put all their marbles in Johnson's hat!
This is about not going out there and getting a decent back up early in the year instead of wasting time and space on Mike McMahon.
This is about not identifying a sure fire "franchise" prospect at QB in Jay Cutler or Matt Leinart in the draft!
You can biatch and whine about Pep and his situation, I digress to do so!
Last nights effort proved the obvious, Johnson is a care taker while this team puts all their hopes on a division II QB not quite ready to unseat a 38 year old veteran!
OK, this is lame!
Pep doesn't play for us, some second rounder we got for him can't even crack the starting lineup and I'm not sure he's even suited up once this season.
Doesn't matter!
Johnson showed to the world last night that he is only as good as his last performance!

Del Rio
10-31-2006, 04:57 PM
"BigMoInAZ" wrote:

This is about the ownership and coach and management decided to do in the first place and put all their marbles in Johnson's hat!
This is about not going out there and getting a decent back up early in the year instead of wasting time and space on Mike McMahon.
This is about not identifying a sure fire "franchise" prospect at QB in Jay Cutler or Matt Leinart in the draft!
Last nights effort proved the obvious, Johnson is a care taker while this team puts all their hopes on a division II QB not quite ready to unseat a 38 year old veteran!
OK, this is lame!
Pep doesn't play for us, some second rounder we got for him can't even crack the starting lineup and I'm not sure he's even suited up once this season.
Doesn't matter!
Johnson showed to the world last night that he is only as good as his last performance!

I guess we can't really make comments like this because none of us have been head coaches or management in the NFL.

BigMoInAZ
10-31-2006, 04:58 PM
"Del" wrote:

"BigMoInAZ" wrote:

OK, this is lame!
Doesn't matter!

I guess we can't really make comments like this because none of us have been head coaches or management in the NFL.
;D
Thanks Coach!

purplehorn
10-31-2006, 05:00 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

Johnson will not win in the playoffs,

He won't win in the playoffs? He does have a Superbowl ring so I guess he can win
in the playoffs ::). Bolinger and TT have ZERO combined playoff experience.

We have four should win games ahead and have shown we can play with the Bears.
Brad is the starting QB so get your tissues everyone who thinks he should not
start because you will have your feelings hurt.

Del Rio
10-31-2006, 05:01 PM
"BigMoInAZ" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"BigMoInAZ" wrote:

OK, this is lame!
Doesn't matter!

;D
Thanks Coach!

No problem.

Prophet
10-31-2006, 05:10 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

...I agree that BJ is not the best QB out there.
But he is the best one on our team.
TJ will be, but he isn't there yet, and I don't want to risk his NFL future by putting him before he is ready...

Do you ever feel like you're saying the same thing over and over again?
We all hope Tarvaris is the man, he looked good against 2nd and 3-4th stringers, most of whom don't even play in the NFL anymore.
I'm sure the coaching staff will put the right guy in based on their abilities, and the pickings are slim right now.

BigMoInAZ wrote:

OK, this is lame!
Doesn't matter!

I would think that most rational fans realize that BJ is the 'care-taker' or interim QB while TJ is learning the ropes.
I don't agree with them getting Leinhart or Cutler or someone else because they used their Pep pick to grab TJ in the second which pissed off many people on the board, many of which are lovers of TJ now.
Will he pan out, we can only speculate, but they will play him when the timing is right, not when a collection of maddenites and armchair coaches say it is time.

The Vikes had a nice draft based on the perceived need of the new coaching staff (Tomlin was a great pickup), we won't know the true answer to that until years down the road.
Greenway should be solid. Griffin, Cook, Edwards, Blue, and TJ all have a lot of upside.
The offseason poison pill debacle was an excellent move as was picking up Chester.

The coaching staff thought BJ would suffice for the interim QB and now people want his throat.
Tough shit, they are going down the path of solidifying the lines by tying up McKinnie and signing Hutch and were hoping Birk would return to pre-injury form.
Both lines are looking decent with some depth and another offseason of patchwork should make them solid with depth and, hopefully, shore up the right side of the o-line.
Sure, they could have grabbed a better QB in the draft or a better backup, but the price would have resulted in some cuts in other areas.

It's always a crapshoot with salary caps and injuries.
The new schemes have been in place for a few games against some tough teams and the Vikings are still above 0.500.
If you are in panic mode now, maybe you should play tiddlywinks.
It's less stressful (assuming you're not gambling).

snowinapril
10-31-2006, 05:18 PM
I thought I heard Kornholio suggest that Chilly froze out DC.

Just wanted to throw that out there!!

As far as BJ, he is a transition into the future.
BJ is here to win as many games as he can and promote a positive image to the public.

Let's go back to the draft and relive this.
We traded up in the 2nd round (?) to get TJ.
They think TJ is the future.
Don't get all bent out of shape if he hasn't made the transition to the NFL yet.
This is the first year, ie rookie season.
He is our 3rd string QB but he is our future.
We have to assume that until we either draft another QB or go after a big name QB in the offseason.

Prophet
10-31-2006, 05:23 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

I thought I heard Kornholio suggest that Chilly froze out DC.

Just wanted to throw that out there!!

As far as BJ, he is a transition into the future.
BJ is here to win as many games as he can and promote a positive image to the public.

Let's go back to the draft and relive this.
We traded up in the 2nd round (?) to get TJ.
They think TJ is the future.
Don't get all bent out of shape if he hasn't made the transition to the NFL yet.
This is the first year, ie rookie season.

He is our 3rd string QB but he is our future.
We have to assume that until we either draft another QB or go after a big name QB in the offseason.

Exactly right.
A few folks on the board have the notion that if someone is a realist and doesn't think Tarvaris should start at this point of the season they are automatically thrown into the BJ is a hero group or the Tarvaris hating club.
I really doubt there are any Vikings fans that want Tarvaris to fail nor the Vikings to fail.
I also bet that the NFL experience that Childress has (more yrs than many members have even been alive) is sufficient enough for him and his staff to determine when Tarvaris is ready.
When he is deemed ready most will be behind him 100%.
Until then, I am not ready to be behind a gameboy toting fan that deems him ready.
I'll support the professional coaching staff first.
A wiser choice.

ultravikingfan
10-31-2006, 05:28 PM
"BigMoInAZ" wrote:

OK, this is lame!
Doesn't matter!

How do you know all of this?
You were not an owner, manager, or coach?

I am totally confused.
:D

V-Unit
10-31-2006, 06:20 PM
I'm not giving up on BJ, and keeping Pep or putting in Jackson wouldn't have made the offense better. I was also against starting a rookie QB no matter who we drafted...but man, I don't think I have a good argument against getting Drew Brees.

However, looking back won't help. Vikes fans, its time to dig in. Overall, the team is on the rise. Yes we will need to add some offensive talent next offseason, but we are not that far away. One or two solid players will make the offense good. With a great defense, that is all you need.

coachdags
10-31-2006, 07:05 PM
Brad Johnson has a Super Bowl Ring...Anyone else have one?

Enough Said...

ultravikingfan
10-31-2006, 07:25 PM
"coachdags" wrote:

Enough Said...

Puleaz...anyone can get one of those silly things.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Baltimore-Ravens-2000-Super-Bowl-Championship-Ring_W0QQitemZ220042384560QQihZ012QQcategoryZ25189QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220042384560

PurpleRide
10-31-2006, 08:16 PM
"coachdags" wrote:

Enough Said...

So does trent dilfer.... He got his the same way johnson did.
A great D.
Johnson just like dilfer are average QB's.
How many td's to int's does johnson have THIS YEAR?

Enough said......

purplehorn
10-31-2006, 10:21 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

"coachdags" wrote:

Enough Said...

So does trent dilfer.... He got his the same way johnson did.
A great D.
Johnson just like dilfer are average QB's.
How many td's to int's does johnson have THIS YEAR?

Enough said......

Brad has a career completion rating of 62%! He is here for the rest of the year and
I have no doubt will lead us to the playoffs. Get over it! enough said!

MinnesotaFury
10-31-2006, 10:40 PM
Oh my god.... Brad Johnson had one bad game...
It was against an amazing team... Get over it.
Everyone is going to have a bad game, its nothing to start a riot over.
Brad is our team.
Everyone sticks by a winner, but it takes a true fan to stick by a loser.
Brad has got the expierience, awareness, and even though it didnt show monday night, he also has what it takes to lead this team to the playoffs.
Tavaris, however good he may be, should ride the pine this year and get accustomed to the Vikings O.
Give it a break, and give Brad a chance.

threepete21
10-31-2006, 11:29 PM
This may have already been posted and I hate to admit that Theisman is right, but he said during the telecast that the Vikes have the same plan as the Patriots, they just need to get a QB.
I don't think TJack is the next Brady, but he could be pretty close to d. McNabb.
If they put him in now he may become David Carr and pretty much suck for eternity.
Let him learn and then he can be the man next year or the year after.