PDA

View Full Version : The NEW Purple People Eaters...

NodakPaul
10-30-2006, 10:09 AM
This is how ESPN is referring to the Vikes on their Monday Night Football Commercials.
The NEW purple People Eaters... As someone who remembers watching the original Purple People Eaters, I wasn't sure what to think.

I love the fact that ESPN is giving us some love, but the PPE of old were the hallmark of defenses, the standard I measure every other defense up to.
Have we really hit that level?

Arguably, Jim Marshall, Moose, Gary Larson and Alan Page are among some of the most well known front four in foot ball.
I actually think that Udeze, the Williams' and Scott are comparable.

While our secondary may not have the numbers that Nate Wright, Bobby Bryant, and Paul Krause put up, I see a little bit of the old PPE in them too.
Sharper definitely is starting to look more and more like Krause with his jumps on the ball and ints...

That leaves us to the linebackers.
Originally expected to be the weakness of the 2007 Vikes D, they are playing very well.
Back in the 60's and 70's, Roy Winston, Jeff Siemon and Wally Hilgenberg kept offenses in check, allowing the front four to do their job.
Sounds similar to our LBs today.

I am starting to think that ESPN may be on to something here... :)
Thoughts?

Metrodump
10-30-2006, 10:16 AM
dem old purple people eatas was the sh**. Man I miss dem days. Page was DA MAN!! Iz good espn be givin us some props now. We be getting to showcase ouw talents tonight. Patsyz be goin DOWN, regardless of what dat kornholler be sayin

PurpleRide
10-30-2006, 10:16 AM
Every preseason the local media brings up if this is the next PPE, I would hope we could come up with something new.
There will be only one group called the PPE, there needs to be a new creative name for this new group.

Prophet
10-30-2006, 10:40 AM
I agree the PPE name should be retired.
A new name for the defense is in order, after they are consistently good.
The media hacks will probably end up creating this name, I just hope it isn't the new PPE's.

ballhog27
10-30-2006, 11:00 AM
I get upset everytime I hear this brought on the a Vikings team. Until they rack up 4 trips to a Super Bowl or at least 1 we should never speak of the Defense being "The New Purple People Eaters"

JDogg926
10-30-2006, 11:05 AM
What other nicknames could there be???

The Purple Storm?
The Swarmin' _____????

This isn't easy. I'm drawing blanks.

NodakPaul
10-30-2006, 11:06 AM
"ballhog27" wrote:

I get upset everytime I hear this brought on the a Vikings team. Until they rack up 4 trips to a Super Bowl or at least 1 we should never speak of the Defense being "The New Purple People Eaters"

Hmmm.
The Vikes earned the nickname Purple People Eaters before that went to the superbowl four times.
I am having a hard time remembering when the name got started, but I believe it was after the first superbowl trip.
So I don't think it is fair to say the current defense can't earn the name until they make it four times.

I do agree about being number one though.
We ar enumber on eagainst the rush, but not the pass.
When we are number one against both... then I think we would deserve it.

So if people here don't like the New PPE nickname, what are some suggestions?
Put together a list and we can email it out to the various media outlets... Maybe something will catch on.

Prophet
10-30-2006, 11:07 AM
"JDogg926" wrote:

...This isn't easy. I'm shooting blanks.

That's another issue.
8)

COJOMAY
10-30-2006, 11:08 AM
"ballhog27" wrote:

I got to agree with ya on this one. There will NEVER another "Purple People Eaters" group regardless of the defensive talent on this team. They are the past of a great Viking tradition. If this groups is gonna continue to be as good as they are showing now a new moniker needs to be given to them.

JDogg926
10-30-2006, 11:09 AM
"Acumen" wrote:

"JDogg926" wrote:

That's another issue.
8)

I could of swore I typed "drawing blanks"....

Either way, good burn...

JDogg926
10-30-2006, 11:11 AM
"JDogg926" wrote:

"Acumen" wrote:

"JDogg926" wrote:

That's another issue.
8)

I could of swore I typed "drawing blanks"....

Either way, good burn...

Hey, I did type "drawing".

I thought of a couple more:

Purple Curtain?
(that doesn't sound very intimidating)
Purple Hole? (sounds like someone needs to see a doctor)
Monsters of the Metrodome?

slavinator
10-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Top Nicknames for Vikes D
1. Purple Tsunami-I just really like this one, please add your thoughts!

JDogg926
10-30-2006, 11:14 AM
Purple Predators? No?

slavinator
10-30-2006, 11:16 AM
too "jurasic park", JDogg926

slavinator
10-30-2006, 11:19 AM
What about the purple pillagers.........

NodakPaul
10-30-2006, 11:28 AM
Purple hole sounds painful.
And monsters of the metrodome souds too chicago-like.

How about The Four Norsemen for our front line?
Someone else came up with this one earlier in the season but I don't remember who.

NordicPrincess
10-30-2006, 11:32 AM
OK, this might be a bit obscure, but how about:

"Pfrenzy"

The "P" would play on the Purple, as well as give props to Tomlin (because it's thanks to him we're even discussing this)

whackthepack
10-30-2006, 11:36 AM
For the entire defense:

The Purple Horde.

Valhalla's hammer.

the front 4:

The 4 Norseman of the Apocalypse.

The purple gods of thunder!

NodakPaul
10-30-2006, 11:39 AM
My favorite two so far (both courtisy of Whack)

The Purple Horde
The 4 Norseman of the Apocalypse

Keep 'em coming!

NodakPaul
10-30-2006, 11:40 AM
Purple Frenzy? (Playing off NordicPrincess's suggestion)

josdin00
10-30-2006, 11:50 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

Purple hole sounds painful.
And monsters of the metrodome souds too chicago-like.

How about The Four Norsemen for our front line?
Someone else came up with this one earlier in the season but I don't remember who.

The "Four Norsemen" name got started before last season, but I don't remember who started it.

And not many football fans outside of Minnesota would get a reference to valhalla, so I would revise that suggestion back to Thor's hammer.

Metrodump
10-30-2006, 11:57 AM
Howz "Purple Crush" sound?

Purple curtain? ? ?

..."monsters of the metrodump".... LOL

thevikingfan
10-30-2006, 12:07 PM
There will probably never be a new name for a good defense again.Back then there was no free agency and the same defensive players stayed on the same team for like 10 years at a time.Thats how they had time to gel and you got ur purple people eaters,monsters of the midway,steel curtain and the no name defense (72 dolphins) In this era of free agency cordinators and players dont stick around long enough to create a true hallmark defense

ChezPizmo
10-30-2006, 12:17 PM
Alright, let's stop with the new nicknames while we're ahead.
It's starting to get embarrassing.
:P

MetalMike-LoudVike
10-30-2006, 12:28 PM
nicknames for the new D-Defense, its very difficult to get a good one its would have to take, its gotta have a 2 things going for it 1) its gotta be catchy 2) it needs to really identify the Defensive unit as a whole I mean. I would say give this group at least 3 years before a catchy name can be attached to the Defense.
my suggestion would be "THE VIKING SPIKE STRIP" cuz no one is running on this D all running backs seem to do is pop they're tires.
just some guy with crust in his eyes yammering
MMLV

Ltrey33
10-30-2006, 01:32 PM
IDK about the New Purple People Eaters. Six games...that's all we've seen. I mean, they're freakin good! But they need the longevity before they earn a nickname.

The Dropper
10-30-2006, 05:17 PM
I'm not so sure about a nickname for the whole squad yet either, but I do think it's high time that Pat Williams gets a nickname a la "Refridgerator Perry."

Something like "Dump Truck."