PDA

View Full Version : No ONE is getting fired here

snowinapril
09-27-2004, 12:12 AM
Please List the ONE most positive thing you saw on the feild against the Bears.

This is a little example:

I like the way that Moss stuck up for his team mate(I think it was Nate) when that TODD JOHNSON lead with his helmet. I think that is a sign of leadership. I intially was upset because I thought they were going to get a penalty and screw up another scoring opportunity. But in retrospect, even if that would have happened it would have been worth it. This is a step forward to functioning better as a unit.

snowinapril
09-27-2004, 08:47 AM
JUST GOES TO SHOW WHY EVERYONE COMES HERE

TO COMPLAIN

20 VIEWS AND NO POSTS

little redhead
09-27-2004, 09:15 AM
I also said in a different post I think that is a good thing that Randy came in to the aid of Burleson so to speak. It was nice to see that he had some fire and stuck up for his teammate. It was definately a dirty hit but then again I also saw chicago playing a lot of dirty football. So a positive thing on that is that the Vikings at least didn't appear to stoop to that level and just tried to cotinue to play through all the rough stuff chicago was trying to hand out and It was nice at least to see the Vikings take the high road. The positive thing you can say is we got the win and that is all that matters it wasn't pretty but it is still a win. Onterrio Smith played well and Nat Dorsey looked pretty good and even Cory Withrow having to step in did a pretty good job. How is that for some positive.

Del Rio
09-27-2004, 09:17 AM
I liked how our D stopped the drive at the end. I must admit I was scared. But even then if Grossman was in who knows. But it was refreshing to see them make the stop and essentially win the game.

I liked how Cambell returned a kick. I wish he would be the returner all the time.

I like that we moved the ball all day long and only punted once.

I like how even though we make mistakes and are looking at 1 and 20 because of penalties we still manage to get the 1st down.

I like how our makeshift line did, they stepped it up a notch and battled.

I liked how that poor fan looked on TV when Daunte threw the ball and it hit the upright. He was seated behind the upright and his eyes lit up when the ball was coming that way. Then his dreams went down the drain with a resounding thud.

I liked how Owens played, he made some good hits on special teams and some great catches and blocks.

sitandbehitski
09-27-2004, 09:46 AM
Did you hear Tice and Sport's Wrap? Campbell can be the kick returner if he wants, but Tice doesn't want him to get injured so he discourages it, but he doesn't forbid it. He told Joe Schmit that if Kelly wants the job he can have it, he's just concerned with Kelly's size.

purplehorn
09-27-2004, 10:20 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

TO COMPLAIN

20 VIEWS AND NO POSTS

Is this a complaint? :-k

josdin00
09-27-2004, 11:26 AM
I like the fact that the special teams looked a little better. They have work to do, but there goin in the right direction with campbell returning kicks, and elling making it to the endzone with his kicks.

I also liked that motion play they used to get Moss his second TD. That looks like the kind of play where someone will always be open, even if it's not Moss.

But most of all, I like the fact that were three weeks into the season, and I've been able to watch every game here in Chicagoland.

VikingsTw
09-27-2004, 11:36 AM
I liked how Thomas stepped in and had 11 tackles from the MLB position, which he hadn't practiced since college. The other defensive players said they couldnt believe how well he was calling some of the formations. They said he was very smart.

I liked seeing the vikings run some stunts on the defensive line at the end of the game. I liked seeing K Williams sack at the end it was vicous.(sp)

Onterrio is the man, nuff said hes got moves.

dart18
09-27-2004, 11:42 AM
i like the fact that we pulled off a win with a depleted team. A win is a win

whackthepack
09-27-2004, 11:51 AM
WE have to get more preasure on the quarterback, we are giving the opposing QB way to much time to find an open receiver.

We need to start getting them rattled and making them hurry their throws and making mistakes.

NeoVikesTX
09-27-2004, 11:51 AM
I had to "watch" the game from the nfl.com gamecenter, so I can't really tell a whole lot from a little helmet moving up and down the field.

But, from what I could tell, we had some guys step up on D and fill in for some big injuries, especially LBs. Our offense seemed to move the ball effectively, though I would like to see more run plays.

Our D needs to improve, and WILL IMPROVE, once these young guys start to gel and gain some confidence.

We got the win and that's all that matters. :thumbright:

And we were the only team in the NFC North that won this week! :cheers:

ADubya26
09-27-2004, 11:59 AM
Here's my take on the game:

Pros: I think that the most noticeable thing in this game was our team's attitude. We had Moss getting into it to defend Burleson, Thomas fired up after almost any tackle he made, Culpepper kept the ball he ran in with and cradled it the whole way back(almost proving to himself he can overcome his fumble on Monday Night), that nice block by Burleson where he layed that dude out...and just an overall pumped up/optimistic outlook on the game. This attitude can hopefully stick with us throughout the season.

Cons: We need to hold on the the dam*n ball! That includes almost everyone. Our defense really needs some work..i think we need to blitz more, and our pass protection needs to just be a little better so that Culpepper has the deep ball as an option. It becomes more and more apparent how much we will miss Jimmy.

Overall, a win is a win...even though they made it too close for my liking at the end. We now have a bye week to freshen up and get ready for a somewhat underrated Texans team on the road. That will be a big test for us IMO

CanuckVike
09-27-2004, 12:06 PM
Although I was biting my nails there for bit, there were a few things I liked from the game:
1 - Randy Moss stickin' his head in the mix to stand up for Burelson! Great leadership there...even if it did get a penalty...can't let that crap go unchecked!
2 - Culpepper and company (and that includes an injury plagued Offensive line coming back in the 4th to punch in a TD after the Bears made it 20-15 I think that's the first 4th quarter sort-of comeback we've had! ...hope we build on it!
3 - Onterrio Smith...jee-whiz the guy looks like...(dare I say it...)
Barry Sanders at times out there! Just hold on to the ball Onterrio and leave the Panama Red in Panama...permanently!

dan3ski
09-27-2004, 12:19 PM
I did see a couple of gang tackles on defense I fell the Vikings need to go to the ball more as I see to many players standing aroung watching the other players.

Del Rio
09-27-2004, 12:22 PM
I did see Winfield get burned repeatedly. Maybe his "bling" was weighing him down.

I did notice a play with Shaw where he got a pass interference. How much did he play that game, that's the only time I noticed him.

snowinapril
09-27-2004, 12:36 PM
"purplehorn" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

TO COMPLAIN

20 VIEWS AND NO POSTS

No, it was to get some positivity going. Sometimes certain thing have to be said even though they may be disturbing. I thank those that have taken the time to post.

I don't mind the other posts where we can let some of our frustrations out. Sometimes you start reading them and you lose track of some of the good positive points people make.

I like the IDEA that we can come to a thread and see more positive points and leave out the frustration.

I try to be a glass is half full person

snowinapril
09-27-2004, 12:49 PM
"CanuckVike" wrote:

Although I was biting my nails there for bit, there were a few things I liked from the game:
1 - Randy Moss stickin' his head in the mix to stand up for Burelson! Great leadership there...even if it did get a penalty...can't let that crap go unchecked!
2 - Culpepper and company (and that includes an injury plagued Offensive line coming back in the 4th to punch in a TD after the Bears made it 20-15 I think that's the first 4th quarter sort-of comeback we've had! ...hope we build on it!
3 - Onterrio Smith...jee-whiz the guy looks like...(dare I say it...)
Barry Sanders at times out there! Just hold on to the ball Onterrio and leave the Panama Red in Panama...permanently!

I also like the way the offense punched the ball in.

I also liked the way Smith was running. He did make some great jukes on the long run he had. I really think his runs show signs that we are blocking better. Up until this point I think that was the longest run of the season, 38 yds.

Rcv Stats Onterrio Smith 15 223 14.9 63 1 Leading the team in rcvng yds.
Rsh Stats Onterrio Smith 42 198 4.7 38 0

Good Stuff

HarrisonB57
09-27-2004, 01:20 PM
I thought it was Keenan Howry that Randy was sticking up for. :?

purplehorn
09-27-2004, 01:29 PM
"HarrisonB57" wrote:

I thought it was Keenan Howry that Randy was sticking up for. :?

'It was a cheap shot,' Moss said of a play when Johnson flattened Burleson with a blow from what appeared to be his shoulder on replays

snowinapril
09-27-2004, 01:31 PM
Poult posted this on another thread, thought it belonged here.

this is from ESPN.com...........

"Maturity matters

The second player we want to note might force you to reach for the nearest chair as your knees buckle, but Randy Moss is definitely outgrowing the me-first ways of his past. OK, we agree, the odds of a pending explosion still might be pretty good, but nothing like they have been in past seasons.

You want some remarkable stats (OK, maybe they're just mediocre numbers, but we crunched 'em and we like 'em) for Moss through three contests? He is averaging just 11.3 yards per reception, pretty pedestrian for a receiver whose previous low came in 2002, at 12.7 yards. Moss has only two receptions for more than 20 yards, just one catch of 40-plus yards. And we have yet to witness a classic Mount Moss eruption. Here's the best stat: Moss has five touchdowns in three games, but his average scoring catch, no joke, is 2.6 yards. He has touchdowns of 3, 1, 4, 3 and 2 yards. At his current pace, Moss would catch 101 balls, for "just" 1,147 yards, but would score 27 touchdowns.

Give credit to the often vocal Moss. He hasn't gone deep very often yet, but hasn't really gone off the deep end, either."

thats good, he deserves to get some recognition.

SKOL
09-27-2004, 02:12 PM
"purplehorn" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

TO COMPLAIN

20 VIEWS AND NO POSTS

I took it that way too... although it wasn't as bad as Nodak's scathing remarks. :angryfire: and I guess I'm guilty of viewing and not replying. After going to the game yesterday I was busy for the rest of the day, and got home late. I jumped on briefly to read a few posts and went to bed. Oh well.

There were a lot of positives yesterday. Daunte and Moss were outstanding. Our depth at running back saved us again. Dontarrius Thomas stepped up big time, and even Nattiel didn't look bad. I didn't think the secondary played badly, I think there was just no pressure on their QB. The bye comes at a good time, I just hope one week is enough to get some guys healthy, we'll need them..., Houston didn't look bad in KC, which is a tough place to play.

wv__viking__fan
09-27-2004, 05:07 PM
Moss coming to defend his teamate stands out to me but the big thing was the block Nate threw. I love to see those blocks down field. Kelly also got in a block on a play that helped gain extra yards. Those things will make us into a much better team as the year goes on.

snowinapril
09-27-2004, 06:32 PM
Nate did get him good.

I like the Kelly Campbell Run back.

I think the holding on that penalty was oh so close to being not called. Let's break it without the look of holding next time.

purplepat
09-28-2004, 10:55 AM
Vikings dominated time of possession and rolled up about 450 yards of offense. If they can cut out the turnovers, penalties, and start scoring some TDs in the red zone instead of settling for FGs, this team will begin to blow other teams out.

VKG4LFE
09-28-2004, 12:42 PM
I liked the fact that R.W. McQuarters "woke up a sleeping giant" (that being Randy Moss) by having a pushing/grabbing war with him. Moss went on to catch 2 TDs. Thanks RW!

shockzilla
09-28-2004, 12:47 PM
A positive I took from the game had nothing to do with the game:

Moss handing not one but two footballs to the guy in the wheel chair on the sideline in the endzone.

I think his selfish ways are over - Chris Carter did do some good.

snowinapril
09-28-2004, 12:51 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

I liked the fact that R.W. McQuarters "woke up a sleeping giant" (that being Randy Moss) by having a pushing/grabbing war with him. Moss went on to catch 2 TDs. Thanks RW!

:thumbleft: Good One :thumbright:

snowinapril
09-28-2004, 12:56 PM
I really like the way Smith ran on the long run, it was awesome to see him stop on a dime while the defenders went zipped on by then he cut back.

I just saw that in a clip today and I was a great run. Our runner the last few years have been mostly speed and not as much moves.

cajunvike
09-28-2004, 01:58 PM
R.W. McQuarters is a PUNK!!!

VKG4LFE
09-28-2004, 06:21 PM
ALso, no one is talking about the play of Nat Dorsey! I think he played pretty damn well for a rookie coming in and playing a damn good DE in Oguleye! Granted Ogunleye got a sack of Cpep with Nat in, but I think he did a heck of a job, and he won the job for when we play Houston!! Good work Nat!

brock
09-28-2004, 06:50 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I did see Winfield get burned repeatedly. Maybe his "bling" was weighing him down.

I did notice a play with Shaw where he got a pass interference. How much did he play that game, that's the only time I noticed him.

I think he played a few around the last quarter. That pass interference was called back by the officials. (HAHA, Tice had his hands on the challenge flag).
It almost looked like pass interfence to me, but it turned out to be a GREAT pass deflection. I loved it. Now, lets get some INTs coming!

SKOL
09-28-2004, 08:59 PM
I like the way the Vikes waited until Morten Anderson MADE a kick before anouncing his consecutive game record. Earlier he missed a field goal, and they failed to make the announcement. Maybe they feared he'd get booed??

SKOL
09-28-2004, 09:25 PM
I liked the way the refs called delay of game against the Vikes right at the 2 minute warning in the first half. The ref announced, "delay of game, offense, 5 yard penalty. That is the two minute warning". The clock read 2:00. Is that even possible? I mean, if the play clock expired right at the 2:00 warning, isn't that legal? I'm surprised Tice didn't throw the red flag.

rjkvikings
09-28-2004, 09:29 PM
"SKOL" wrote:

I liked the way the refs called delay of game against the Vikes right at the 2 minute warning in the first half. The ref announced, "delay of game, offense, 5 yard penalty. That is the two minute warning". The clock read 2:00. Is that even possible? I mean, if the play clock expired right at the 2:00 warning, isn't that legal? I'm surprised Tice didn't throw the red flag.Yeah, if it was a delay of game then there should have been one more play before the 2 min warning. Otherwise it wasn't a delay of game.

snowinapril
09-28-2004, 09:46 PM
Dontarius Thomas got the game ball from Tice for having a good game and being prepared to fill in without notice.

Considering the circustances he did great.

NeoVikesTX
09-28-2004, 09:55 PM
I think one of the main reasons Dontarrious Thomas played so well against the Bears is because he didn't have so much pressure on himself to play exceptionally well.

The way I look at it, DT had a starting spot on our D since preseason, and he felt he had to make good use of it. After he was benched, he was called to play middle linebacker after E.J.s injury, a spot he's not used to playing at all.

He stepped in there thinking they weren't expecting much from him, so he just let his talent take over instead of second-guessing himself, and he turned out to play great.

Hope he keeps it up against the Texans in 2 weeks, we will need him!

Good job Dontarrious Thomas!! :salute:

ItalianStallion
09-28-2004, 10:03 PM
Dontarrious did play MLB in college, so it is COMPLETELY new to him.

cajunvike
09-28-2004, 11:28 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Dontarrious did play MLB in college, so it is COMPLETELY new to him.

Huh?!?

:scratch:

SKOL
09-29-2004, 09:24 PM
I liked the way Daunte ran out of bounds 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage, instead of throwing the ball away. Sorry, I don't mean to be sarcastic, just a pet peeve. Old habits die hard, I guess.