PDA

View Full Version : Chester Taylor not as steady as Tiki Barber

singersp
10-28-2006, 08:36 AM
Posted on Sat, Oct. 28, 2006

Taylor not as steady as veteran Barber (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/15868704.htm)

Chester Taylor has one BIG run of 95 yards on Sunday, and some people want to label him already as the 2006 NFL "rushing king" favorite? It's only his first year as a regular starter, and that 95-yard run against Seattle leapfrogged him from 10th to 2nd place. He's still behind the experienced and steady rushing Tiki Barber, who averages 5.0 yards per carry despite lower, longest-run stats than Taylor's 4.3 yards per carry.

Barber's longest runs for his 6 games are 22, 9, 14, 18, 29 and 18 while Taylor tallied 10, 33, 24, 11, 28 and 95. It's also Barber's final year of playing (so he and his team will want to go out in style), and the Giants have a more favorable schedule than the Vikings the rest of the way.

Dennis from Eagan

cajunvike
10-28-2006, 08:52 AM
Hey, I will take what we have no problem...much better than what we have had in the last few years!

Freya
10-28-2006, 09:22 AM
It's only his first year as a regular starter, and that 95-yard run against Seattle leapfrogged him from 10th to 2nd place.

Key.

Not bad, really.

BionicMango
10-28-2006, 09:47 AM
You know what, Screw "Dennis from Eagan", and I hope he reads this, why would anyone even bring this up, Chesters been rock steady for us and thats all that matters, who cares about Tiki Barber, what the hells the point.

Mr Anderson
10-28-2006, 09:47 AM
Tiki is obviously more steady. But it's not about big runs all the time, anything over 4.5 ypc is spectacular.

And this writer should not be surprised he only has one big run like that, look at the defenses we've played, all of them are very fast and very talented.

NodakPaul
10-28-2006, 10:13 AM
and the Giants have a more favorable schedule than the Vikings the rest of the way.

What?
The Vikings schedule gets MUCH easier once we pass the Pats on MNF.
Chester is going to be a top 5 NFL back, easily.

6-KINGS
10-28-2006, 10:43 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Hey, I will take what we have no problem...much better than what we have had in the last few years!

AMEN!!!
Chester Taylor just continues to get better.
I think the game is slowing down for him and he is seeing the 2nd holes

PurplePumpkin
10-28-2006, 11:01 AM
He has been a Great addition for the Vikings.
He never gives up and always falls forward for that extra yard or two!
I think he can finish in the top five this year if not better!

marcosMN
10-28-2006, 11:10 AM
"BionicMango" wrote:

You know what, Screw "Dennis from Eagan", and I hope he reads this, why would anyone even bring this up, Chesters been rock steady for us and thats all that matters, who cares about Tiki Barber, what the hells the point.

Eureka!

There is no question that Tiki is good at what he does.

Even if Taylor is #2, being second to the evil twin is pretty good company to be in, especially in your first year in a new system, first year with a team, first year as a starter.

He is only going to get better, folks. Grab on to something and grit your teeth, its gonna be a rough ride. But it should end up with a Most-Valuable Chester, somewhere down the line.

-Sno

vikes09
10-28-2006, 11:24 AM
the 95 yard run is legitimate and you cant take that away from him. tiki is steady, true, but that big play by chestor happened. im surprised that tiki hasnt had as many big plays himself with his longest barely under 30 yards. IMO it'd be like taking away all the deep passes ( 11 passes for 40+ yards) that mcnabb has thrown and saying he doesnt have as many passing yards as he really should.

chestor has proven SO much these 6 games, and he can only get better.

whackthepack
10-28-2006, 11:30 AM
"singersp" wrote:

Taylor not as steady as veteran Barber (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/15868704.htm)

Chester Taylor has one BIG run of 95 yards on Sunday, and some people want to label him already as the 2006 NFL "rushing king" favorite? It's only his first year as a regular starter, and that 95-yard run against Seattle leapfrogged him from 10th to 2nd place. He's still behind the experienced and steady rushing Tiki Barber, who averages 5.0 yards per carry despite lower, longest-run stats than Taylor's 4.3 yards per carry.

Barber's longest runs for his 6 games are 22, 9, 14, 18, 29 and 18 while Taylor tallied 10, 33, 24, 11, 28 and 95. It's also Barber's final year of playing (so he and his team will want to go out in style), and the Giants have a more favorable schedule than the Vikings the rest of the way.

Dennis from Eagan

Answer for Dennis from Eagan.

You pinhead!
Nobody I have talked to in the Twin Cities has said that they expect him to be the NFL leading rusher at the end of the season, and just because you have Tiki on your fantasy team and you want to have his children doesn't mean that people are saying that!
What people are saying is that it is nice to have a steady running game, and that it is helping our offense!

So to Dennis just because you assume things doesn't mean they are true, and don't project them to other people!
And if you want to get into Tiki's panties that bad then write him and proclaim your love for him, but other than that shut up and go stick your head up you a$$!

singersp
10-28-2006, 11:46 AM
Let's analyze those 6 longest carries side by side & in order. Not jumbled like in the article;

Taylor....Barber
10............ 9
---............---
106..........110 (Totals w/o Taylor's 95 yarder)
201..........110 (Totals with the 95 yarder)

Taylor has out distanced Barber on all but 1 of his top 6.

Taylor had gained almost as much with his top 5 runs (minus the 95 yarder) than Tiki did in his top 6.

While Barber averages 0.7 yards more per carry, I'll take Taylor over Barber. There seems to be more potential to gain bigger chunks & more total yards with Taylor.

sleepagent
10-28-2006, 11:50 AM
"singersp" wrote:

Dennis from Eagan

Who is labeling TAYLOR as the rushing king?
He had a nice run and is having a solid season.

We are excited for his & the Vikings success so far . . . did I miss something here?

VikesfaninWis
10-28-2006, 12:56 PM
With all that being said, I would take Chester Taylor over Tiki Barber right now.. I am not just saying this because I am a Viking fan.. Chester Taylor plays stronger as the game goes on, he has had a few long runs that have set his team up in a good position, and has some rushing TD's, whereas Tiki Barber doesn't have any TD's..

You also have to remember another thing,
this is Taylor's first season as a starter.. He is playing on a different team, with different players, a different offense, and different coaches.. Where Tiki Barber is known already, Chester Taylor is just now proving that he is a every down back, and that he will be a force for many years to come..

Now on the last note, Tiki Barber is retiring after this season.. Chester Taylor will be on the Vikes for at least the next 4 years.. If he continues to play like he has, he will retire a Viking.. So get ready and brace yourself for the future, because after this season, you will be hearing alot about Chester Taylor..