PDA

View Full Version : Ben Leber - The face behind the defense

singersp
10-26-2006, 06:25 AM
THE FACE BEHIND THE DEFENSE (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/15849698.htm)

Posted on Thu, Oct. 26, 2006

Ben Leber isn't the most recognizable player on the Vikings' defense, but he may be the most respected.

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

VikesfaninWis
10-26-2006, 06:31 AM
Nice read, thanks...

AngloVike
10-26-2006, 07:43 AM
Good article and shows that you don't have to have your name called by the announcers constantly in order to be recognised for doing a good job.

NodakPaul
10-26-2006, 09:11 AM
Good read. I like Leber.
Funny that he was Foley's signing.

snowinapril
10-26-2006, 10:27 AM
"Napoleon and E.J. are excelling in what they do," Leber said. "I understand my role on this defense, and being a first- and second-down guy is not foreign to me. It's pretty much what I did in San Diego. I'm satisfied with the role, as long as I can keep making plays."

After a single tackle in the opener, Leber has provided at least one key play in each game. He knocked down a pass intended for running back DeAngelo Williams during the second quarter against Carolina. He had a tackle for loss on the first play of the second half against Chicago. He had a sack and recovered a fumble for a touchdown against Detroit, and he had a sack and forced a fumble that Kevin Williams recovered for a touchdown in Seattle.

"He brought a lot of maturity and a lot of experience to the unit," Henderson said. "He also brought some big-play potential. I really think he's solidified the unit."

Fran Foley, the vice president of player personnel who was fired after three months, left a legacy with Leber. Familiar with each other from their years together with San Diego, Foley pushed to sign Leber to a five-year, $20 million contract instead of pursuing more heralded linebackers such as Will Witherspoon or Julian Peterson.

Leber admitted he was "overwhelmed" when he joined the Vikings — a team located just five hours from his parents' home in Vermillion, S.D. — and tried to acclimate to his teammates and community.

"Now that the dust has settled, and I feel good about where I am, I'm enjoying Minnesota and I'm enjoying the team, and my wife (Abby) and I are real happy here," Leber said.

Semi-local Guy, Vermillion SD.
Playing a role and doing it well.
Team player!

Getting respect for doing his job well.

snowinapril
10-26-2006, 10:29 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

Good read. I like Leber.

I remember we had some good coversations about Leber being a solid LB when Fran was looking to sign Leber or right after he did.

That was in the pro Fran Foley days. Thank you Fran!

IpartyWithSmoot
10-26-2006, 04:38 PM
I have been very impressed with Leber. Tomblin just brings out the best in everyone.

Vikes_King
10-26-2006, 06:13 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

Good read. I like Leber.

I remember we had some good coversations about Leber being a solid LB when Fran was looking to sign Leber or right after he did.

That was in the pro Fran Foley days. Thank you Fran!

lol, pro Fran Foley days

never knew you to be a comedian snow
;D

nephilimstorm
10-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Good article. I agreed with the Pick-up and I agree also he goes to the pro bowl...or actually selection is more exciting.

marcosMN
10-26-2006, 07:04 PM
Yeah. Thanks Singer. This was a great read, and Leber was one hell of a good move this offseason.

singersp
10-26-2006, 08:23 PM
"SnoBumMN" wrote:

Yeah. Thanks Singer. This was a great read, and Leber was one hell of a good move this offseason.

Don't thank me, I didn't write it, I just posted it.

Chad8970
10-26-2006, 09:51 PM
No kidding, that guy is a stud.
He's not flashy, but he doesn't make mistakes.
I really like how the LB's are playing this year.
Sure beats them running around like idiots the last couple of years.