PDA

View Full Version : Week 8 power ranking

RK.
10-24-2006, 01:55 PM
ESPN
Vikings #12

The Seattle win was impressive. Still, we have doubts. Now, beat New England on Monday night and we'll say it loud and proud (or at least in all caps) that the Vikings are Super Bowl contenders.
;D ;D
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking?week=8&season=2006

NodakPaul
10-24-2006, 02:02 PM
The Seattle win was impressive. Still, we have doubts. Now, beat New England on Monday night and we'll say it loud and proud (or at least in all caps) that the Vikings are Super Bowl contenders.

Why do they still have doubts?
When we beat the Pats on MNF, they better come through with their promise and finally admit that the Vikes are contenders this year!

MetalMike-LoudVike
10-24-2006, 02:02 PM
I know where my head-banging carcass will be on monday night.watching a game that will speak volumes to the rest of the NFL. get it done Vikes we all want this one.
keep your horns up and 1 foot on top of a packer fans head

MMLV

cajunvike
10-24-2006, 02:08 PM
Let me get this...we BEAT the two teams that are ranked AHEAD of us...one of them with MORE losses than us???

WHEN we beat the Patriots, we had BETTER be ranked AT LEAST FIFTH!!!!!

Mutha F'ers!!!!

whackthepack
10-24-2006, 02:38 PM
If we beat the Pat's then it will be if they beat the Bears.

davike
10-24-2006, 03:00 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

Why do they still have doubts?
When we beat the Pats on MNF, they better come through with their promise and finally admit that the Vikes are contenders this year!

becuase the media doesn't like the vikings....just looking at the power rankings can tell you that, they have alot of teams that beat bad teams by a little bit and they get alot of credit, we beat good teams and we get no credit. they pick certain teams and cling to them, like the eagle for instance. i think the eagles are mediocre and they get so much attention and love its not even funny. oh well, i kind of like beating good teams when we are considered the underdog.

vikes09
10-24-2006, 03:05 PM
i sure hope we beat those dang patsies. that'll be a GOOD game. it sure seems like forever since the vikings have been considered a superbowl contender.

nephilimstorm
10-24-2006, 03:15 PM
The Vikes and Patriots game is a must win for us...at 5-2 with power rankings, playoffs implications etc. I thought we played tremendously great on Seattle's home ground but I will say Yes the media hates the Vikings. At 5-2 and the vikes win a few more will be in the plaoffs no doubt because the fact is is that we beat a few power teams already and some teams on the schudule dont have a freaking chance.

skum
10-24-2006, 04:14 PM
LOL

Fox-Sports has us 18.. Behing teams like the Jaguars who got beat by the texans and The Steelers who hasnt looked good and 15 other teams..

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/powerRankings

I win against the Seahawks on the road means nothing, because we where at 18 last week too..

tastywaves
10-24-2006, 04:25 PM
"skum" wrote:

LOL

Fox-Sports has us 18.. Behing teams like the Jaguars who got beat by the texans and The Steelers who hasnt looked good and 15 other teams..

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/powerRankings

I win against the Seahawks on the road means nothing, because we where at 18 last week too..

What a joke.
If the Vikings win Monday night they will still be #18 on their list.
Oh well, for some reason, there is a lot of purple hatred out there.
Be nice to get a little respect once in a while, although Childress probably doesn't mind flying under the radar for now.

Prophet
10-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Peter King puts the Vikings at #6. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/10/22/tiki.barber/2.html)

6. Minnesota (4-2). Talk about a leap up the rankings. Can't avoid respecting the Vikings any longer, not after they've held six foes this season to 16, 13, 19, 17, 17 and 13 points and beaten the defending NFC champs at their impregnable home by 18.

BloodyHorns82
10-24-2006, 04:32 PM
I can live with a ranking of 12.
Keep in mind we did get beat straight up by Buffalo, struggled 3 quarters against Detroit, and got lucky against Carolina.
The upside is the Bears got lucky they beat us, and we spanked the feathers off the Seachickens.
12 sounds reasonable for now.
After our Monday night win I'd like to see us ranked at least 7.

SKOL!!

RK.
10-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Fox!! what a joke.
::)

They are claiming that the reason we won is because Hutch held on Taylor's 95 yrd run and I guess that was the difference in the game.
Never mind the other 24 points we scored.
Of course it is Fox that was claiming that the injury to Hasselbeck was intentional.
I don't think they actually watch the games.
Probably too busy tapping out text with one finger on their keyboards.
:P

NodakPaul
10-24-2006, 04:50 PM
A hold by Hutch on Taylor's run?
WTF?
Seriously, you and I know that OL do hold a little bit on almost every play, but from what I could see on the TV, I didn't see any holding that play!

Also from Peter King:

Offensive Player of the Week

(tie) Steve Hutchinson, G, Minnesota. Made the key block/mauling on Chester Taylor's 95-yard touchdown run -- the longest in franchise history -- that gave the Vikes a 24-10 lead in the third quarter and clinched the upset at once-powerful Seattle. Hutchinson left the Seahawks in a controversial free-agent defection last winter, so you'll pardon Mike Holmgren if he didn't invite Hutchinson over to the house for a latte the night before the game.

And the ESPN guys are talking about what a great job hutch did by holding his block until CT was past him.
Fox is just being silly.

VikemanX84
10-24-2006, 05:08 PM
FOX is a joke, its what they do.
They have some good shows but for the most part they try to be the joke network with shows like Family Guy and American Dad.
Their News Channel is also a joke.
They are about as fair and balanced as a teeter-totter with an anvil and feather on either end. Also their sports channel has a lot of crappy, joke shows.

That being said House is awesome, their pre-game is good (but much better with JB).

The Vikings should be ranked in the Top-10 at least.
And if it wasn't for an untimely fumble against the Bears we'd be 5-1 and leading our divison.

Prophet
10-24-2006, 05:09 PM
The Bears will slide.
There is no way Grossman can pull through for the season, 6 turnovers against the Cardinals and still pull off a W?
Their upcoming road trip will be their demise.

WBLVikeBabe
10-24-2006, 05:14 PM
Hey I'm not complaining yet, going up to 12 from 18 is pretty dang good if you ask me.
At least they are starting to give us some credit.
the New England game will be huge, what are you guys gonna do if we win?
I don't even know, I might have to break out the bikini a little early, but oh wait Cajun hasn't sent it to me yet!

Prophet
10-24-2006, 05:16 PM
If the Vikings win we could send you a case of bikinis and neum can video tape you modeling them.
We'll send the clip to Winter Park to help perk up the boys for the midseason push to the playoffs.

skum
10-24-2006, 05:27 PM
"WBLVikeBabe" wrote:

Hey I'm not complaining yet, going up to 12 from 18 is pretty dang good if you ask me.
At least they are starting to give us some credit.
the New England game will be huge, what are you guys gonna do if we win?
I don't even know, I might have to break out the bikini a little early, but oh wait Cajun hasn't sent it to me yet!

SEND CAJUN, SEND!!!

farvathevikinglover
10-24-2006, 05:51 PM
I've seen a couple now. I've seen us at 12 on cbsportsline and someone on NFL.com had us somewhere around 8

Prophet
10-24-2006, 05:55 PM
Click here (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=150&topic=28534.0) for a summary of the recent power polls.

Vikefanman2000
10-24-2006, 06:12 PM
"RK." wrote:

Fox!! what a joke.

They are claiming that the reason we won is because Hutch held on Taylor's 95 yrd run and I guess that was the difference in the game.
Of course it is Fox that was claiming that the injury to Hasselbeck was intentional.

I am as big of a FOX BASHER as any sports fan.....but if their powerranking paragraph is what you are referring to....I dont think they meant that Hutch was holding....but rather that he made a great play by "holding his block".
Here it is again....

#18 Vikings
The Vikings won the “Steve Hutchinson Bowl” behind Brad Johnson’s arm and Chester Taylor’s legs. But Hutchinson, himself, played a major role in the biggest play of the game. By holding his block for an extra second as a hole opened up, Hutchinson gave Chester Taylor the running room needed for his game-breaking 90 yard touchdown scamper. The Vikings are now 4-2, heading into a Monday night showdown with the red-hot Patriots.

At least that is the way that I read it.

DustinDupont
10-24-2006, 07:28 PM
i thought being ranked 12 on espn was bs but 18 on foxsports wuts that... but w/e i was watchin nfl live today and the guy asked a queston who they thought where the 5 top teams in the nfc and the vikes were 5 in both of them...

V-Unit
10-24-2006, 08:21 PM
"DustinDupont" wrote:

i thought being ranked 12 on espn was bs but 18 on foxsports wuts that... but w/e i was watchin nfl live today and the guy asked a queston who they thought where the 5 top teams in the nfc and the vikes were 5 in both of them...

Saying we are top 5 in the NFC is pretty obvious. We are tied for the 3rd best record.

Potus2028
10-24-2006, 08:50 PM
top 5 NFC is obvious..

bears, vikes, falcons, giants, saints

--in order

that's right.. i think the vikes are AT LEAST second best in the NFC

V-Unit
10-24-2006, 09:52 PM
"Potus2028" wrote:

top 5 NFC is obvious..

bears, vikes, falcons, giants, saints

--in order

that's right.. i think the vikes are AT LEAST second best in the NFC

That's extremely generous. Consider this synopsis of the top 5 vs. winning teams:

Bears:
Beat Vikings by 3
Crushed SEA
2-0 but they also have dominated their easy games.

Vikings:
Lost to Bears by 3
Beat DET by 12
Crushed SEA
2-1, good solid wins and we have all the looks of playoff contender. The Buffalo loss was a big letdown though especially considering what the other teams have done against losers.

Falcons:
Crushed CAR
lost to NYG by 13
Blown out by NO
1-2, but definetly a tough schedule so far.

Saints:
Crushed ATL
Beat PHI by 3
lost to CAR by 3
2-1, like the Vikes but they have not had a let down, and nobody wants to play NO in the superdome.

NYG:
beat ATL by 13
beat PHI by 6
lost to IND by 5
lost to SEA by 12
2-2, really tough schedule but they are still 4-2. Thier only games against losing teams were against division rivals, where anything can happen.

There is a strong argument for every team there IMO. Although the Vikes are not given enough respect, I feel bad for the Giants. Their schedule is just plain scary.

RK.
10-25-2006, 12:45 AM
"Vikefanman2000" wrote:

"RK." wrote:

Fox!! what a joke.

I am as big of a FOX BASHER as any sports fan.....but if their powerranking paragraph is what you are referring to....I dont think they meant that Hutch was holding....but rather that he made a great play by "holding his block".
Here it is again....

#18 Vikings
The Vikings won the “Steve Hutchinson Bowl” behind Brad Johnson’s arm and Chester Taylor’s legs. But Hutchinson, himself, played a major role in the biggest play of the game. By holding his block for an extra second as a hole opened up, Hutchinson gave Chester Taylor the running room needed for his game-breaking 90 yard touchdown scamper. The Vikings are now 4-2, heading into a Monday night showdown with the red-hot Patriots.

At least that is the way that I read it.

I see where you could read it that way.
I read it as a criticism since we were #18 the week before and they kept us at 18 even though we beat one of the stronger teams in the NFC and the Seahawks are at #10 in their ranking even though we beat them.
I guess I took it as we didn't deserve the game since we got no reward for winning.
Other teams that won that are ahead of us in their ranking moved up yet the Cowboys at 17 just ahead of us lost and yet didn't even drop a place.

I don't know maybe I am just reading too much into it.
:-

digital420
10-25-2006, 02:15 AM
i think all the extra crack not used up by GWAR's video productions has gotten into the fox sports coffee room..

these guys are more of a biased joke then any other group i've read.

DiGiTaL

Zeus
10-25-2006, 08:12 AM
"farvathevikinglover" wrote:

I've seen a couple now. I've seen us at 12 on cbsportsline and someone on NFL.com had us somewhere around 8

The Final Word Power Poll has the Vikes in a tie for 6th.

=Z=

Zeus
10-25-2006, 08:15 AM
"RK." wrote:

I see where you could read it that way.
I read it as a criticism since we were #18 the week before and they kept us at 18 even though we beat one of the stronger teams in the NFC and the Seahawks are at #10 in their ranking even though we beat them.
I guess I took it as we didn't deserve the game since we got no reward for winning.
Other teams that won that are ahead of us in their ranking moved up yet the Cowboys at 17 just ahead of us lost and yet didn't even drop a place.

I don't know maybe I am just reading too much into it.
:-\

You are.
And that's okay - because we're all homers here and that's what we do.

That quote is clearly talking about Hutch staying with his block that extra tick which allowed Chester to break free.
It's what Hutch does - block like a maniac until the whistle blows.

=Z=

whackthepack
10-25-2006, 08:36 AM
The Vikes are not getting any love, and when we beat the Pat's they will be saying the same crap "if they can beat the Bears then they are legitimate".

Right now we are 5th on defense and 12 in offense so keep over looking us because objects in your mirror are closer than they appear!

we're coming!

Slade
10-25-2006, 02:07 PM
Plus we are # 2 vs. the run. Only the Cowboys are better. I just read fox sports & they have us at #18??? we beat Seattle & we don't even move up?? Fox sports have something personal against the Vikes. SI has us @ # 6......I just don't get it
>:(

Prophet
10-25-2006, 02:10 PM
The summary of all the power rankings (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=150&topic=28534.0) sends a little more love the Vikings way.

Vikes_King
10-25-2006, 02:12 PM
the reason we're ranked where we are is because gave up a game to the bears that we should have won, and we lost a game to the bills.. who we all know we should have beat, our team has been decent at best during some points of the season, the rest its looked very good.

consistancy is what they're asking for

Slade
10-25-2006, 02:26 PM
"Vikes_King" wrote:

the reason we're ranked where we are is because gave up a game to the bears that we should have won, and we lost a game to the bills.. who we all know we should have beat, our team has been decent at best during some points of the season, the rest its looked very good.

consistancy is what they're asking for

- I don't think I agree with that. The Eagles are 4-3, with wins vs. Texans, 49ers, Packers & Cowboys. They lose to the Giants, Saints & Bucs. Yet they are ranked 15th. The Jag's got shelled by the Texans & lose to the Redskins. They are ranked 16th. And finally, the Steelers are 2-4 & ranked 14th!!! They beat the Dolphins (wow) & the Chiefs (no trent green, double wow). I know they are SB champs, but come on. We get no love from FOX

Bdubya
10-25-2006, 06:35 PM
I don't know if any of you saw PTI today, but Wilbon was talking about the Lions chances with the rest of the season, and he was naming off the teams the Lions have to play that they could beat.

He said "they could beat the San Francisco, Arizona, Miami, Minnesota, and MAYBE Green Bay."

and MAYBE Green Bay!!??
The fact that he threw us in there is bad enough, but to say they have a better chance against the Vikings than the Packers is just stupid.
Quit hatin' media.

BearsFanGrrrr
10-25-2006, 07:50 PM
You vqueens have to beat DA BEARS before you can even think about contending !
Oh ya, .. you have to beat DA BEARS in OUR house !
:o
DA BEARS done whooped your vqueens in your dome, what chance you think they got in DA BEARS DEN ?
NONE !
Silly vqueens, the NFCN belongs to DA BEARS !
8)

GO BEARS !
6 an 0
BABY !

RK.
10-25-2006, 08:19 PM
"BearsFanGrrrr" wrote:

DA BEARS done whooped your vqueens in your dome, what chance you think they got in DA BEARS DEN ?
NONE !

8)

GO BEARS !
6 an 0
BABY !

And once again a Bears fan shows his class.
I believe somewhere in the past that
Bears fans and Cheesehead fans have a common ancestor with a thick sloping brow and pug like nose.
;D

Mr. Purple
10-25-2006, 08:33 PM
"RK." wrote:

"BearsFanGrrrr" wrote:

NONE !
8)

GO BEARS !
6 an 0
BABY !

And once again a Bears fan shows his class.
I believe somewhere in the past that
Bears fans and Cheesehead fans have a common ancestor with a thick sloping brow and pug like nose.
;D
What an incredible D!ck this guy is.
He must have cheese wedged up his A-S-S

The only thing he is doing is making the future victory in Chicago that much better.
And looking like a jacka$$ ;D

Bears Whooped us, please. ::)

Vikingryche
10-25-2006, 08:41 PM
I think Bears fans must be the dumbest people in all of sports...

Da Bears whooped on us LOL ....
I didnt see any reference from the undereducated Bear fan about getting owned by the lowly Cardinals, and yes the Cardinals gave the Bears that game.....
So I guess we will have to wait and see what plays out for the rest of the year,
yes they are 6-0 but the Cardinals and us hannded you the game late...
So until that little wuss you guys call a Qb (Grossman) proves he can play and stay healthy, shut up until your a little more educated.....
Later Go Vikes !!!!! 8)
Oh yeah one more thin!!!!
Ive been watchin pro football for 30 plus years and have been a die hard Vikes fan for all of those years...
If im not mistaken this is not the first team ive seen start 6-0,
and then end up where, no where LOL

MaddenVodkaAddict
10-25-2006, 09:01 PM
"BearsFanGrrrr" wrote:

NONE !

8)

GO BEARS !
6 an 0
BABY !

You are THE shit.
Not shit; THE shit.
I think your team would be better though if Mr. Collins were your quarterback instead of Mr. Grossman.