PDA

View Full Version : Vikings' receivers banged up

singersp
10-24-2006, 07:31 AM
VIKINGS REPORT: Vikings' receivers banged up (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/15832762.htm)

Posted on Tue, Oct. 24, 2006

BY DON SEEHOLZER
Pioneer Press

Prophet
10-24-2006, 08:54 AM
I was looking at the WR receiving stats (http://www.nfl.com/stats/playersort/NFL/WR-RECEIVING/2006/regular?&_1:col_1=5) and the Vikings' WRs are struggling with their total yds (not a surprise), but interesting to see where they play out in comparison:

#47 Troy Williamson 274 yds
#48 Travis Taylor 268 yds
#62 Hank Baskett 202 yds (for WTP and Del's discussion)
#64 Marcus Robinson 200 yds
#105 Billy McMuffin 78 yds

Yds passing for QBs:

#15 BJ 1299 yds

QBs with less yds than BJ:

A. Smith, M. Hasselbeck, T. Brady, D. Carr, C. Frye, D. Bledsoe, D. Huard, B. Leftwich, B. Roethlisberger, J. Plummer, D. Culpepper, K. Warner, S. McNair, J. Harrington, Ron Mexico, etc.

snowinapril
10-24-2006, 07:02 PM
I found the thread to post this.
I am tired of T-Will.

That is just my opinion.
I am not going to say anything negative about him, just that I am tired of him.

Prophet
10-24-2006, 07:04 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

I am tired of T-Will.

That is just my opinion.

Agree.
I want him to succeed as much as the next Vikings fan, but he needs to step it up and catch the catchable balls.

snowinapril
10-24-2006, 07:06 PM
"Acumen" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

I am tired of T-Will.

That is just my opinion.

Agree.
I want him to succeed as much as the next Vikings fan, but he needs to step it up and catch the catchable balls.

Exactly!

Ltrey33
10-24-2006, 07:24 PM
"Acumen" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

I am tired of T-Will.

That is just my opinion.

Agree.

I agree. I have said all along that we need to be patient with him, but we're in the 6 game, and he's still dropping balls that Brad puts right on the numbers. He's going to end up costing us a game (like he may already have done @ Buffalo).

kramer9guy
10-24-2006, 07:26 PM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

"Acumen" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

I am tired of T-Will.

That is just my opinion.

Agree.

I agree. I have said all along that we need to be patient with him, but we're in the 6 game, and he's still dropping balls that Brad puts right on the numbers. He's going to end up costing us a game (like he may already have done @ Buffalo).

I also agree with the three of you. The dropped balls are getting to be ridiculous. Step it up already Troy!

BloodyHorns82
10-24-2006, 07:35 PM
Dropping balls or not, I hope they are healthy for Monday night.

DustinDupont
10-24-2006, 08:16 PM
t will will be a stud.. but thanks GOD we got bethal johnson he looked like a mdman returning those punts maybe we could use him in the field

ThorSPL
10-24-2006, 08:26 PM
Agreed he needs to catch the ball more, but lay off.... he was unconscious for the ball he dropped Sunday.....

Realistic expectations are important

V-Unit
10-24-2006, 09:07 PM
It is just sad that people here give Williamson such a short leash. The bottomline, and I have said this all-season long, is that expectations for Williamson have always been too high, especially this season.

First of all, it is almost unheard of for a second year WR to be to go-to guy. Even Moss was still in a supporting role to Carter in his sophmore season. Throwing Twill in the #1 role is stupid and unneccesary. The drops happen because there is too much pressure on him. We need to let him settle in a #2 or slot role and let him develop slowly, like almost all receivers do. What we are doing is hurting his development in the long run.

Secondly, Twill led the team in receptions before leaving the game on Sunday, yet for some reason everyone is disappointed. For every drop he has he has also made a clutch play and/or made a first down catch. In another thread on this board posters voice that they are satisfied with McMullen's play, yet here we are "tired" of a WR who hasn't even played two full seasons yet. It puzzles me.

It is not as if Twill had a breakout rookie season. He progressed and got better as all rookies do. In his second-year we should him expect him to do the same. His talent will shine but we must be patient. LET WILLIAMSON GROW.

Ltrey33
10-24-2006, 09:15 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

It is just sad that people here give Williamson such a short leash. The bottomline, and I have said this all-season long, is that expectations for Williamson have always been too high, especially this season.

First of all, it is almost unheard of for a second year WR to be to go-to guy. Even Moss was still in a supporting role to Carter in his sophmore season. Throwing Twill in the #1 role is stupid and unneccesary. The drops happen because there is too much pressure on him. We need to let him settle in a #2 or slot role and let him develop slowly, like almost all receivers do. What we are doing is hurting his development in the long run.

Secondly, Twill led the team in receptions before leaving the game on Sunday, yet for some reason everyone is disappointed. For every drop he has he has also made a clutch play and/or made a first down catch. In another thread on this board posters voice that they are satisfied with McMullen's play, yet here we are "tired" of a WR who hasn't even played two full seasons yet. It puzzles me.

It is not as if Twill had a breakout rookie season. He progressed and got better as all rookies do. In his second-year we should him expect him to do the same. His talent will shine but we must be patient. LET WILLIAMSON GROW.

There is a difference between being allowed to "grow" and being irresponsible with the football. I have been as patient with Williamson as anyone, but it's getting a little much now.

I could understand being patient if he wasn't getting open, or his routes were up to par, or if he wasn't adjusting to the NFL as quickly, but that's not the case. He's getting open, he's obviously doing well in the offense, he's just NOT CATCHING THE BALL. IMO, when you're a receiver that should be the first thing on your mind. Brad has hit him on the numbers on two or three big plays, that would have been hard catches, but they are catches that any NFL receiver is expected to make. It's not like they have been Carter-esque one handers or falling out of bounds or something like that, they have been balls where the pass is right on the money, all he has to do is reel it in with a defender or two around him. If he can't do that on a catchable ball, then he shouldn't be playing. I say let him "grow" from the bench.

LuckyVike
10-24-2006, 09:19 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

Precisely, I love that post, V.
When T-Will was drafted, almost every Vike fan KNEW that he was raw as a Tupac rap song.
We also KNEW it would take possibly 2 full seasons for him to reach his potential.
Now here we are, week 8 of his 2nd season and everyone is CONSTANTLY bitching about his play.
Most of you understood the curve that he was going to go through, and with him being thrown into the #1 reciever position, his curve could very well take even longer.
Get over it and watch as his talent blooms into something great.
Stop tearing the poor kid apart when he is playing exceptionally well for a second year reciever.

Mikecarter81
10-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Come on guys, for all of you worriers I'll say one name.
Jake Reed.
He developed into a pretty good receiver after a few years, even got to a pro bowl, but he couldn't catch a cold his first two years in the league.

Mike

V-Unit
10-24-2006, 10:11 PM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

I have been as patient with Williamson as anyone, but it's getting a little much now.

You are not being patient if you are giving an NFL receiver 20 games before you get fed up with him. The FIRST post Del Rio had in the infamous
Baskett vs. McMullen thread was:

Make sure you maintain this for at least 3 years whack.

I'm not trying to stick words into Del's mouth, but I'm guessing he said it because he knows as well as I do that it takes three years to fully judge a receivers impact, expecially a rookie.

"Ltrey33" wrote:

I could understand being patient if he wasn't getting open, or his routes were up to par, or if he wasn't adjusting to the NFL as quickly, but that's not the case. He's getting open, he's obviously doing well in the offense, he's just NOT CATCHING THE BALL.

I've already said that I think he is dropping balls because of too much pressure, but what really boggles me is why you point out the bad while ignoring the good. IT IS AWESOME that our 2nd year wideout is getting open, that his routes are on par and that he is adjusting to the speed of the NFL. Look how much praise you give him before pointing out his drops. Take the good with the bad. Growing pains should be expected.

"Ltrey33" wrote:

I say let him "grow" from the bench.

I know you don't mean that.Why would we bench our best receiver? I'll go halfway with you here. Put him in the slot. That would take pressure off him and enable him to beat safeties and LBs with his speed and route running. He wouldn't be in for a lot of snaps, but his productivity when he is in would go up.

Williamson is on pace to better than double his production from his rookie year, yet fans give him no respect for being our best receiver. The drops will fade and the TDs will come when we start using him correctly.

kramer9guy
10-24-2006, 10:49 PM
No matter what anyone says, I'm still going to stick by my comments on the guy. He does need to step it up. Is it too much to ask him to catch the damn ball? He was a very high draft pick. From what I can tell, he has most of the technical aspects of the game down except catching the ball. During training camp his hands were a publicly discussed question mark by Childress and others. Not much has changed between then and now. He has dropped some very important passes this year. And on a side note, I believe the drop in the Seattle game slipped through his hands before he was knocked out. And just because he was the leading receiver on our team before Sunday, that doesn't mean much especially when one looks at our stagnant offensive production prior to Sunday.

#105 Billy McMullin 78 yds

Those rankings aren't very impressive in my book.

But, believe me, I support them all and hope they all step it up. I'm not just critisizing Troy for the hell of it. I want to see him do better. A lot better. Travis Taylor needs less drops too. And as far as I'm concerned, we really need to use Marcus Robinson a more in the offense. He seems to be one who has shined out of the whole bunch. Stats come second to making big catches and Marcus has had a few big ones so far this year. We should also use Wiggins more because he has some hands. But, until Bethel Johnson learns the playbook and we can see if he has anything to contribute as a WR, we have who we have on the offensive side of the ball and I hope they all stay healthy throughout the season and we see less drops by all the WR's and an upgrade in the play all around. That's not too much to hope for, is it?

vikes2456
10-24-2006, 11:00 PM
Williamson will continue to improve, and I don't think anyone can say they have not seen ANY improvement. And I believe that he will cut down his drops as his career continues. Assuming we sign a WR as a first round pick, we could have a really solid team next year *knock on wood

V-Unit
10-24-2006, 11:42 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

Posters might see the title and think "another Williamson flamer!" but that is not the case. Look at my sig! I am a big Williamson supporter and will always be (as long as he wears purple).

I am concerned about how he is being used. I don't think he should be used for returns at all. It increases risk for injury and puts more pressure on a second year talent who we should be taking time to develop. In fact the pressure to be the #1 receiver in this offense so quickly is also scary. It has been said multiple times that receivers often have bad stats during their first years in the league, so I think rcushing along Williamson is wrong. Things would have been perfect with KRob returning and being #1, but he is the enemy now. I think the offense should avoid treating Williamson as a #1 by spreading the ball around more, (that did not happen week 1, Williamson would have had 6 catches for over 100 yards if he had not had those drops) and taking him off returns completely.

The best way to develop this young talent is to give him time to grow and succeed in a new system. Let him take small steps until he is ready for big time instead of throwing him in the #1 role.

"V-Unit" wrote:

We are misusing him. We are throwing him to the dogs expecting him to be #1 as well as our kick returner. It is way too much pressure on a second year guy.

Receivers take time to develop. I think what we're doing is setting Troy up for failure, and that is hard to say considering he's my favorite player. I would be muc h happier if we distributed the ball to many different receivers instead of going to Troy all the time.

I tried to start a topic abput how we should be using TWill differently, but it got merged with this one which is really just about Troy's dropped passes. The fact is I expect Troy to drop a couple balls, because he is only in his second year. All of a sudden people are expecting the guy to be perfect and it is unfair to hold him to such a short leash. We should be complimenting our young reciever for having a good overall day and showing improvement, not questioning two drops when he has so little experience.

The solution to the dropped passes is to throw to the other receivers more to take pressure off the young man's shoulders. He is a good receiver with tons of potential, but it is too early in his development to put the weight of a pass oriented offense on his shoulders. Moreover, Williamson was the only WR with more than one catch, teams are going to see that and immediately try to shut him down. That means Brad will simply have to distribute the ball more, or Williamson will be frustated with double teams and bump-and-run coverages all season long.

"V-Unit" wrote:

"PacNWVike" wrote:

"VikingFanEric" wrote:

The problem isn't that they dont have a deep threat like Moss was here.
The problem is when were getting open down the field they aren't catching the ball.
Just my opinion.

Exactly.
The other teams may respect T. Williamson's speed, but if he repeatedly demonstrates "the dropsies," who is going to fear him?

Troy was thrown to deep once all game in the second half. Marcus was thrown to deep twice on the last two drives. They also showed a clip where Marcus was wide open deep on the left side and Brad checked down to Kleinsasser without even looking Robinson's way.

My point is there is no sense or urgency to make big plays. Childress doesn't have it and BJ doesn't have it. If you are a receiver in our offense and your role is to "stretch the field" you aren't being used enough to make a difference. If we sprinkle two deep passes in per quarter and threw into the endzone when we were in the redzone, the whole offense would be more effective.

Also, I have said it before and I'll say it again, Williamson is being totally misused. Expecting him to be a breakout #1 all star receiver in his second year is a bit too much. Williamson is one of the top 2 wideouts from his draft, but we still need to give him time to develop. throwing him into the #1 role is absolutely ridiculous. Get him off kick returns too. Let the man pregoressively learn and he will be much better in the end.

Just to prove I've been sticking by my comments for a while now. We finally took him off returns, but more can be done.

Obviously things have changed since I posted those but Williamson has still been having solid outings. I would like to think we are smart fans here, but this topic has made me believe that maybe we were spoiled by Moss, and maybe we honestly expect Williamson to be the next Moss. People who complain about Twill are basically upset that he is not perfect. Twill is thrown to twice as much Robinson, yet his big drops deserve him a spot on the bench while Robinson barely ever gets open, has a huge drop, and it is totally ignored while posters suggest he should start over Troy.

I said Twill would play better when we get him off returns. It is yet to be seen but it took Reusse more than a month to come up with the same idea:
Williamson has better hands with more rest (http://www.startribune.com/508/story/756180.html)

PUT HIM IN THE SLOT. WATCH HIM GROW.

snowinapril
10-24-2006, 11:43 PM
"Mikecarter81" wrote:

Come on guys, for all of you worriers I'll say one name.
Jake Reed.
He developed into a pretty good receiver after a few years, even got to a pro bowl, but he couldn't catch a cold his first two years in the league.

Mike

I am not worried, just disappointed.

First, Jake found out that he had a vision problem and had to learn how to correct his receiving from there.
Second, he had a pro-bowl WR taking a lot of heat off of him.

Troy, needs to step up period.
He is not getting the job done.
I know that even the 25 mil WR, TO, drops the ball sometimes but that doesn't let Troy off the hook for the many times he has had his hands on the ball and dropped it.
It isn't that the defender has knocked it out, he has dropped the ball.

It is a disappointment to me.
I am not saying he can't get better.
I don't think he has improved like he should have at this stage.
JMHO!

snowinapril
10-25-2006, 12:13 AM
Yes, we might have high (Moss) expectations floating in our heads.
Still, he needs to get closer to Steve Smith or even Chad Johnson before we should be fully satisfied.
Granted he is showing more promise than Mike Williams.

I don't think that the fans should be booing Troy.
I am more on the line that I am beginning to lose my faith that Troy is "the guy" for the Vikes.
I would rather hear an article on Troy about how he catches 1000 balls after practice like Torry Holy than read an article about how he thinks his problems are from being tired.
He might be our biggest threat, but the threat that he is showing right now is not good enough to continue the tradition of strong WRs in MN. Sammy, Ahmad, AC, CC, JR, and Moss, how does Troy compare?

I am resigned to say that I don't think that the solution will be found this season.
I hope that he will improve and that we also find a #1 WR in the next couple of years.
My glass is half empty on this one.

Ltrey33
10-25-2006, 01:02 AM
Whoops...messed that post up. Reponse coming...

Cereal
10-25-2006, 01:14 AM
Will it take a 100 yard game by williamson against the patriots for everybody to get off his dick? Why is everybody being so hard on him when really, this is his first time getting serious playing time in his career.

Ltrey33
10-25-2006, 02:08 AM
"V-Unit" wrote:

"Ltrey33" wrote:

I have been as patient with Williamson as anyone, but it's getting a little much now.

You are not being patient if you are giving an NFL receiver 20 games before you get fed up with him. The FIRST post Del Rio had in the infamous
Baskett vs. McMullen thread was:

Make sure you maintain this for at least 3 years whack.

I'm not trying to stick words into Del's mouth, but I'm guessing he said it because he knows as well as I do that it takes three years to fully judge a receivers impact, expecially a rookie.

"Ltrey33" wrote:

I could understand being patient if he wasn't getting open, or his routes were up to par, or if he wasn't adjusting to the NFL as quickly, but that's not the case. He's getting open, he's obviously doing well in the offense, he's just NOT CATCHING THE BALL.

I've already said that I think he is dropping balls because of too much pressure, but what really boggles me is why you point out the bad while ignoring the good. IT IS AWESOME that our 2nd year wideout is getting open, that his routes are on par and that he is adjusting to the speed of the NFL. Look how much praise you give him before pointing out his drops. Take the good with the bad. Growing pains should be expected.

"Ltrey33" wrote:

I say let him "grow" from the bench.

I know you don't mean that.Why would we bench our best receiver? I'll go halfway with you here. Put him in the slot. That would take pressure off him and enable him to beat safeties and LBs with his speed and route running. He wouldn't be in for a lot of snaps, but his productivity when he is in would go up.

Williamson is on pace to better than double his production from his rookie year, yet fans give him no respect for being our best receiver. The drops will fade and the TDs will come when we start using him correctly.

I hope you're right that the drops will fade with time, and no, I don't think we should bench him, but with Marcus playing so well I don't think he should be our #1 receiver all the time. I agree, put him in the slot and let him play there.

I am being patient, but his production is not really up to par, IMO. If you look at the receivers picked in the top 10 in the last few years, the ones that ended up being "good" all had great 2nd seasons, while the ones that most people consider busts or average receivers never really produced in their second year, and 250 yards and no TDs doesn't scream production to me.

Look at good receivers from the top 10 in the draft over the past few years...Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Koren Robinson, and Plaxico Burress all had great 2nd years, they all had over 1000 yards and they all had between 65-100 catches, and with the exception of Robinson they are all still productive starters (and there's no doubt about Koren's talent).

The so-called "busts" David Terrell, Roy Williams and Travis Taylor all had mediocre second years and have never lived up to expectations. I really see Troy on his way to an "OK" year.

Now, I'm not saying that he's a bust just yet, and I'm certainly not giving up on him because there is still a lot of football to be played, but I don't think he's producing like the 7th pick in the draft should be producing in his second year. It just worries me, and I don't want one of his drops to cost us a game.

singersp
10-25-2006, 06:30 AM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

The so-called "busts" David Terrell, Roy Williams and Travis Taylor all had mediocre second years and have never lived up to expectations. I really see Troy on his way to an "OK" year.

Travis Taylor came from a run oriented Ravens team.

singersp
10-25-2006, 07:36 AM
Robinson out with bruised back (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/15840658.htm)

Vikings receiver to miss at least one game

Prophet
10-25-2006, 07:36 AM
KFFL
Vikings | M. Robinson expected to miss Week 8 game
Tue, 24 Oct 2006 20:20:36 -0700

Judd Zulgad and Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings WR Marcus Robinson (back) will get a second opinion on his lower back injury and is expected to miss the Week 8 game, according to an NFL source. Robinson's injury will not require surgery, but he will see another doctor later this week.

singersp
10-25-2006, 07:39 AM
Vikings' Robinson likely to miss next game (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/764426.html)

Zeus
10-25-2006, 09:08 AM
"V-Unit" wrote:

I know you don't mean that. Why would we bench our best receiver?

Best receiver?
I won't get into a pissing match about it, but what possible evidence could you produce to back up that claim?

=Z=

Prophet
10-25-2006, 09:18 AM
"Cereal" wrote:

Will it take a 100 yard game by williamson against the patriots for everybody to get off his slick willy? Why is everybody being so hard on him when really, this is his first time getting serious playing time in his career.

He's missing balls that I would catch.
That's why.
I don't expect him to be a superhero, but I do expect him to catch catchable balls at a higher rate than someone off the street.
Sure, he will hopefully do fine, but the Vikings need him to step up.

skum
10-25-2006, 09:23 AM
Vikings | M. Robinson expected to miss Week 8 game
Tue, 24 Oct 2006 20:20:36 -0700

Judd Zulgad and Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings WR Marcus Robinson (back) will get a second opinion on his lower back injury and is expected to miss the Week 8 game, according to an NFL source. Robinson's injury will not require surgery, but he will see another doctor later this week.

Prophet
10-25-2006, 09:27 AM
already posted:

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=150&topic=28514.0

The Vikings already questionable WR corps is further depleted.
The boys will have to step up.
Bethel Johnson will be in the mix this week and will want a good showing against his former team.

whackthepack
10-25-2006, 09:29 AM
He has his best game of the year and then he is out, that sucks!
I hope that both Taylor and Troy can go with their concussion situation, or we will be very thin at WR.

NodakPaul
10-25-2006, 09:36 AM
That sucks because it takes away the deep threat we finally figured out how to use.
Hopefully TWill, Taylor, and Johnson will be able to step it up against a slightly suspect Pats secondary.

Let's see a B.Johnson to a B.Johnson TD pass! (Flashbacks to 1997 anyone?)

Big C
10-25-2006, 09:36 AM
Travis Taylor (IMO) will have to step up his game and not fumble away balls after making the first down.

Williamson is still a year away from being a #1 WR. Last year he couldn't get his hands on the ball. This year he has been constantly out-jumping coverage and actually getting both hands on the ball but just can't come down with it. That is a VAST improvement in my eyes.

McMullen looked lost on Sunday filling in for Troy. That is disturbing.

Johnson will not see too much action because he's still new to the system.

Do you think we will activate Jason Carter for this week and give the kid a snap or two?

If we want to beat the Patriots, BJ will HAVE to use Wiggins, Richardson, Chestor and Moore in the passing game more often.

JDogg926
10-25-2006, 09:47 AM
Taylor will definitely have to step up, as will Wiggins, as far as being our possession guys, if Williamson plays, they're sure to try a couple deep balls to him.
Hopefully, he actually catches them this time.
I also expect to see McMullen and Bethel Johnson in for a little bit.
What might even work, is to use Mewelde Moore as a receiver.
Maybe line him and CTaylor up in the backfield together, and then split Moore out at WR.
I remember his first start, the guy had 12 catches, and I've only seen him drop a couple passes in his time at Minnesota.

whackthepack
10-25-2006, 09:49 AM
"Big" wrote:

Travis Taylor (IMO) will have to step up his game and not fumble away balls after making the first down.

Williamson is still a year away from being a #1 WR. Last year he couldn't get his hands on the ball. This year he has been constantly out-jumping coverage and actually getting both hands on the ball but just can't come down with it. That is a VAST improvement in my eyes.

McMullen looked lost on Sunday filling in for Troy. That is disturbing.

Johnson will not see too much action because he's still new to the system.

Do you think we will activate Jason Carter for this week and give the kid a snap or two?

If we want to beat the Patriots, BJ will HAVE to use Wiggins, Richardson, Chestor and Moore in the passing game more often.

I think we will see Bethel Johnson's on the field a lot this week, and I don't think they will activate Carter unless Robinson is going to need surgery and is lost for the season.

Zeus
10-25-2006, 09:56 AM
"Acumen" wrote:

"Cereal" wrote:

Will it take a 100 yard game by williamson against the patriots for everybody to get off his slick willy? Why is everybody being so hard on him when really, this is his first time getting serious playing time in his career.

He's missing balls that I would catch.
That's why.
I don't expect him to be a superhero, but I do expect him to catch catchable balls at a higher rate than someone off the street.
Sure, he will hopefully do fine, but the Vikings need him to step up.

Yeah - but you've lost a step or two over the past couple years.
I heard your latest 40-time was a solid 10 seconds!

=Z=

ejmat
10-25-2006, 10:36 AM
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/15840658.htm

St. Paul Pioneer Press (scroll down) (registration required): "The Vikings worked out 5-foot-11 former Northern Iowa receiver Justin Surrency, who was with the Seahawks in training camp but was cut by Sept. 3. He appears more of a candidate for the practice squad than 53-man roster."

ejmat
10-25-2006, 10:37 AM
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/15840658.htm

St. Paul Pioneer Press (scroll down) (registration required): "The Vikings worked out 5-foot-11 former Northern Iowa receiver Justin Surrency, who was with the Seahawks in training camp but was cut by Sept. 3. He appears more of a candidate for the practice squad than 53-man roster."

TMAC604
10-25-2006, 12:00 PM
If Troy can catch a TD pass I will be happy

Troy had 10 catches and 179 yards by the end of week 2.

He has had 9 catches and 95 yards (in 4 games)

We have to face the facts that Troy will not step up.
He has dropped multiple balls and the best case scenario is that he can stretch the field maybe 2 to 3 plays a game.
If he doesn't make those catches he goes unnoticed.
He made them in week 1 and 2 but nothing since.

Billy Boy
10-25-2006, 01:06 PM
"Cereal" wrote:

Yes.
Yes it will.

thepacksux
10-25-2006, 01:09 PM
I would like to see him get some wr screens like steve smith gets.
Lets see what he can do with the ball and blockers.
That is how he was used in college.
I dont think we will see troy's true potential until there is a veteran #1 on this team that lines up across from him.
Add that to taylor in the slot and that is a very solid rec. corps.

Vikes_King
10-25-2006, 03:16 PM
wow, i didnt know both taylor and twill have concussions.. damn, i hope they're both ready to go vs. the patsies..

DCPologirl
10-25-2006, 03:20 PM
That is not good news....hopefully our defense will keep playing so well it won't matter.
Now if they could just start playing Wiggy more and actually throwing him the ball for goodness sake

mnjamie
10-25-2006, 03:23 PM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

That is not good news....hopefully our defense will keep playing so well it won't matter.
Now if they could just start playing Wiggy more and actually throwing him the ball for goodness sake

I totally agree D.C. ........

D.C. is Sooooo HOTT !!!!

(drooooooooooool)

http://www.goldenlands.com/wb/warnbros/opcs/full_size/pinky_brain_opcbrinky.jpg

Prophet
10-25-2006, 03:23 PM
KFFL
Vikings | Taylor's Week 8 status unknown
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:59:07 -0700

Minnesota Vikings WR Travis Taylor's (concussion) status for Week 8 remains unknown.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vikings | Williamson's Week 8 status unknown
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:56:08 -0700

Minnesota Vikings WR Troy Williamson's (concussion) status for Week 8 remains unknown.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vikings | M. Robinson not expected to play Week 8
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:52:52 -0700

Minnesota Vikings WR Marcus Robinson (back) is not expected to play in the team's Week 8 game and could miss more than one game with a lower back contusion.

Vikings | Robinson will be out Week 8
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:41:53 -0700

Updating a previous report, Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings WR Marcus Robinson (back) will miss the team's game in Week 8, but he will not need surgery, according to a source close to the team.

Slade
10-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Well this could be bad. Our startting WR's could be Bethel Johnson, Mann & McMullen. Ouch

skum
10-25-2006, 03:40 PM
Mann is cut, back when we signed Bethel

Vikefanman2000
10-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Of course it will be harder to do if they know we have no other options....
but it looks like a two back set....Chester left, Chester right, Chester up the middle...Chester Chester Chester!

If they can pick up first downs they can eat up clock...keeping the Pats on the sidelines!

Home is still home.....
I would not quarantee a victory for the Vikes, but it will still be tough for the Pats to come into our house and win a game.
Especially if the defense continues to play well.

We dont need an offense anyway....just ask the Giants last year....
A Moore punt return for a TD, a B. Johnson return for a TD, and a Sharper int and return for a TD should be enough points!
:)
Of course if Chester wants to break off another long one....thats ok too!
;D

cogitans
10-25-2006, 04:46 PM
"skum" wrote:

Mann is cut, back when we signed Bethel

Didn't we sign him back to the practice squad?

Jviking
10-25-2006, 04:51 PM
maybe wiggins will be used more this week.
I'll take it.

thevikingfan
10-25-2006, 04:54 PM
Our wr this week will be williamson taylor and bethel johson

verovike
10-25-2006, 04:55 PM
Was Robinson injured on the late hit following a 4th quarter incompletion?
That is the last time I recall seeing him on the field...and didn't the same safety (won't mention his name) apply the cheap shot on Williamson that put him out of the game?
Why doesn't FOX mention that? >:(!!!
Sorry about the rant, I just needed to vent.
I hate injuries, unfortunately, they affect every team in the league. but some of them are avoidable.
We bought a little insurance with Bethel Johnson, but
I think he will have to accelerate his learning during the next couple of days if the Vikings are to stay in the game Monday night...at least he's got an extra day to study.

vv

V-Unit
10-25-2006, 06:27 PM
I just hope that BJ's faith in Williamson, mine certainly hasn't. He still gets open more than any receiver we have and I think BJ realizes that. It is obvious that he is a year away from being a true #1, but I am not disappointed at all because I would have told you that after week 1.

The injuries to Taylor and Robinson are definetly points for concern. I mean the WR corps is not very good, but also has shallow depth. I have absolutely zero faith in Billy McMullen. Williamson and Taylor really can't afford to miss such a big game.

If all three are out I see the Pats shutting down the run and BJ having no one to pass to, similar to the Bears and Lions games.

cajunvike
10-25-2006, 06:30 PM
"Jviking" wrote:

maybe wiggins will be used more this week.
I'll take it.

Yeah...let's "get Wiggy wit it" this Monday!!!
I KNOW that Pologirl would agree with me 100%!!!
;D

ejmat
10-25-2006, 08:02 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

I just hope that BJ's faith in Williamson, mine certainly hasn't. He still gets open more than any receiver we have and I think BJ realizes that. It is obvious that he is a year away from being a true #1, but I am not disappointed at all because I would have told you that after week 1.

The injuries to Taylor and Robinson are definetly points for concern. I mean the WR corps is not very good, but also has shallow depth. I have absolutely zero faith in Billy McMullen. Williamson and Taylor really can't afford to miss such a big game.

If all three are out I see the Pats shutting down the run and BJ having no one to pass to, similar to the Bears and Lions games.

Here's my perception of TWill.
I think he is a tremendous speedy athlete but that's not what makes you a great WR.
IMO TWill is an average WR at best.
His problem isn't his routes or his speed or how well he blocks.
It is his ability to catch the ball.
He is like 22 years old and if you haven't learned to do that consistently by this time it is difficult to learn.
He has hand / eye coordination problems so at this point I would say my expectations on him aren't that high except to be a 2nd or 3rd WR.
Maybe things will change but if he doesn't know how to catch at this point in his career, to me, that's a problem.

grpape
10-25-2006, 08:38 PM
You have to remember that when Johnson is trowing the ball deep, Williamson is always slowing down and letting the defenders catch up to him. He is also getting double covered. When Robinson made that TD he pretty much had no one on him. If we had a QB that could air it out and lead Williamson, he would be making more of the catches (in stride and not jumping with a defender on him and the safety comming over for the big hit). I dunno, I love the speed that Williamson gets, but if Johnson can't hit him in stride or lead him, what's the sense?

ultravikingfan
10-25-2006, 08:46 PM
"verovike" wrote:

Was Robinson injured on the late hit following a 4th quarter incompletion?
That is the last time I recall seeing him on the field...and didn't the same safety (won't mention his name) apply the cheap shot on Williamson that put him out of the game?
Why doesn't FOX mention that? >:(!!!
Sorry about the rant, I just needed to vent.
I hate injuries, unfortunately, they affect every team in the league. but some of them are avoidable.
We bought a little insurance with Bethel Johnson, but
I think he will have to accelerate his learning during the next couple of days if the Vikings are to stay in the game Monday night...at least he's got an extra day to study.

vv

That his was not late, it was legal.

verovike
10-25-2006, 09:06 PM
That his was not late, it was legal.

Legal...no flag was thrown...so yes, but IMO a cheap shot.
The ball was long gone, he could have pulled up.

Braddock
10-25-2006, 10:36 PM
He would have pulled up if he didn't have two 300 lb men pushing him in that direction.

Prophet
10-26-2006, 06:59 AM
Receiving corps is upgraded.

===================================================

Vikings | Williamson probable for Week 8
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 20:35:41 -0700

Minnesota Vikings WR Troy Williamson (concussion) is probable for the Week 8 game.

Vikings | B. Johnson probable for Week 8
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 20:31:22 -0700

Minnesota Vikings WR Bethel Johnson (hamstring) is probable for the Week 8 game.

Vikings | Taylor probable for Week 8
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 20:28:47 -0700

Minnesota Vikings WR Travis Taylor (concussion) is probable for the Week 8 game.

singersp
10-26-2006, 07:03 AM
Viking notes: Robinson (no fibbing) won't play (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/767030.html)

Last update: October 25, 2006 – 10:13 PM

singersp
10-26-2006, 07:29 AM
Without WR Robinson, who will step up? (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/10/vikings-robinson-injury261006.html)

By Eric Krupka on October 26, 2006 12:53 AM
realfootball365.com

Heading into training camp, any fan of the Minnesota Vikings reading this headline would assume it was about Koren Robinson. Of course, everyone knows what happened there.

Fast forward to today. Instead, it appears as though the Vikings will be without the other Robinson receiver, Marcus, for Monday Night's game with the New England Patriots .

And this is bad news.

Why, you might ask?

For starters, the wide receiving corps has been underperforming so far this season. And to add to the problems, last week's impressive victory over Seattle saw the team lose starting receiver Troy Williamson to a concussion on the second series of the game. Wideout Travis Taylor also suffered a concussion during the game, but was able to play through it. Then, in the second half, Robinson suffered a back contusion and left the game.

The statuses of Williamson and Taylor are uncertain at this point, but you have to assume both will be ready to play. Robinson has been ruled out, as he seeks a second opinion on his lower back injury.

It's bad enough the receivers are dinged up, but Robinson, surprisingly, has been the most sure-handed of a group that has been plagued by butter fingers.

Quarterback Brad Johnson has thrown four touchdown passes this season. All four have been caught by Robinson. The other two non-defensive touchdowns came from a fake field goal in Week 2, and a halfback pass this past Sunday.

Without his touchdown magnet (f Johnson has such a thing) who will step up this week?

If Taylor and Williamson are able to go, can both hold onto the football?

If not, will the tight ends become a bigger part of the passing offense?

What about Billy McMullen?

It's unlikely that newcomer Bethel Johnson will see much action offensively, as he hasn't had a lot of time to grasp the offense yet. Then again, the Minnesota Vikings may have no other choice.

In the end, perhaps more of the NFL's second-leading rusher, Chester Taylor, will be seen.

All these questions need to be answered if the Vikings' offense wants to build upon its most impressive performance of the season. Someone will have to step up for the Vikings to win Monday Night. Who will it be?

If I'm Bill Belichick and the Patriots, I'd put my money on seeing more of Chester Taylor.

-Eric Krupka is a senior writer for RealFootball365.com. He can be reached at ekrupka@realfootball365.com

Post a comment @ realfootball365.com (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/10/vikings-robinson-injury261006.html)

ejmat
10-26-2006, 10:37 AM
"grpape" wrote:

You have to remember that when Johnson is trowing the ball deep, Williamson is always slowing down and letting the defenders catch up to him. He is also getting double covered. When Robinson made that TD he pretty much had no one on him. If we had a QB that could air it out and lead Williamson, he would be making more of the catches (in stride and not jumping with a defender on him and the safety comming over for the big hit). I dunno, I love the speed that Williamson gets, but if Johnson can't hit him in stride or lead him, what's the sense?

Johnson has hit him in stride on several occasions when he dropped the ball.
Watch the film of the Redskins game for one of those times.
Yes there are times when he doesn't hit hiim in stride.
If you know the game you would know that hitting someone in stride isn't necessarily the best thing.
A WR sometimes has a better chance at balls that are underthrown when they are well covered.
What makes a good #1 WR is being able to adjust well and catch the ball.
Not every 40 or 50 yard throw is going to be perfect.
Good WRs adjust and make catches.
TWill is not there right now.
Please don't blame BJ for TWill's inconsistencies.
BJ has had a good career without TWill because his WRs have caught passes whether in stride or not.

CCthebest
10-26-2006, 11:01 AM
I hope Wiggy, Tony, Jimmy and Chester get the majority of the balls thrown their way. I do not trust Twill or Travis at all. One drops em, the other fumbles them. Its going to be a sad nite im afraid without a receiver then can score a touchdown.

VikemanX84
10-26-2006, 11:05 AM
Earlier I wondered out loud why non of us made were talking about Marcus Robinson needing to get more playing time.
Now I remember why.
He's a reliable receiver... when he is healthy.
His health isn't reliable and hopefully the other guy swill be fine...

ejmat
10-26-2006, 12:19 PM
I think we need to activate Jason Carter at this point.
He knows the offense and he can catch.

V-Unit
10-26-2006, 05:34 PM
TWill is going to score a touchdown on MNF. I guarantee it.

I really want his jersey and am finally in a position to buy one. So to make this guarantee legit, I will buy the jersey of whoever scores a TD on MNF. If no one scores no jersey until next season, if there are multiple scores I choose from the players who score. I know Williamson will score so his jersey is mine!

Sound fair?

ejmat
10-26-2006, 06:17 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

I really want his jersey and am finally in a position to buy one. So to make this guarantee legit, I will buy the jersey of whoever scores a TD on MNF. If no one scores no jersey until next season, if there are multiple scores I choose from the players who score. I know Williamson will score so his jersey is mine!

Sound fair?

Sounds fair to me V.
I still like customizing mine so I don't waste my money anymore.
Either that or buy a throw-back

Vikes_King
10-26-2006, 06:53 PM
"Acumen" wrote:

I was looking at the WR receiving stats (http://www.nfl.com/stats/playersort/NFL/WR-RECEIVING/2006/regular?&_1:col_1=5) and the Vikings' WRs are struggling with their total yds (not a surprise), but interesting to see where they play out in comparison:

#62 Hank Baskett 202 yds (for WTP and Del's discussion)
#105 Billy McMuffin 78 yds

Yds passing for QBs:

#15 BJ 1299 yds

QBs with less yds than BJ:

A. Smith, M. Hasselbeck, T. Brady, D. Carr, C. Frye, D. Bledsoe, D. Huard, B. Leftwich, B. Roethlisberger, J. Plummer, D. Culpepper, K. Warner, S. McNair, J. Harrington, Ron Mexico, etc.

hank baskett is in a much bigger role that anyone expected because of who philly has for recievers at the moment, plus, he has donovan mcnabb throwing to him...

him getting more yards that mcmullen, or any other vikings reciever isnt surprising, hell, it should have been expected, thats why i was always agaisnt the mcmullen vs. baskett thread.

Ltrey33
10-26-2006, 07:12 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

Sound fair?

You're gonna be really pissed when Rosenthal jumps on a fumble in the endzone to score the only touchdown of the game.
:P

V-Unit
10-26-2006, 09:05 PM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

"V-Unit" wrote:

Sound fair?

You're gonna be really pissed when Rosenthal jumps on a fumble in the endzone to score the only touchdown of the game.
:P

You're going to be really psyched when Williamson makes a one-handed grab in the endzone. I'm going to be even more psyched. We are both going to be thrilled! Look forward to it!
;D

singersp
10-27-2006, 06:58 AM
Viking receiver corps catches injury bug (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/769590.html)

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
Last update: October 26, 2006 – 11:41 PM

singersp
10-28-2006, 08:48 AM
Robinson might suit up Monday (http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061028/SPORTS03/610280353/1002/SPORTS)

Three other receivers injured

by DAVE CAMPBELL
Associated Press

PUBLISHED: October 28, 2006

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - Vikings receiver Marcus Robinson returned to Winter Park after seeking a second medical opinion on his bruised lower back. He didn't rule out the possibility of playing in Monday night's game.

Robinson didn't practice Friday, and his status remained questionable on the injury report.

"We're just going day by day and see what happens," said Robinson, who had difficulty putting on his socks in the locker room after doing some exercises in the morning.

"I'm a little stiff," he said.

Three other receivers are on the injury report this week: Bethel Johnson (hamstring), Travis Taylor (concussion) and Troy Williamson (concussion), making it appear that an already-thin position might be in desperate need of some depth against the Patriots.

But Johnson is probable, and he sounded surprised he was even on the list. Though Williamson was downgraded to questionable on Thursday, Taylor is also probable. The team claimed all three of them missed at least a portion of the 11-on-11 drills in Friday's practice.

Guard Artis Hicks (neck), tackle Marcus Johnson (ankle), defensive end Kenechi Udeze (hip) and defensive tackle Pat Williams (foot) were all mysteriously added to the report on Thursday and listed as questionable. Williams was bumped up to probable Friday.

Hmmmm. With New England on the schedule, it's not difficult to spot some gamesmanship going on here. Patriots coach Bill Belichick is notorious for playing around with the report. Quarterback Tom Brady has been listed as probable with a shoulder injury the entire season and most of his career, though he has started 95 consecutive games.

Coach Brad Childress also got sneaky with the mandated half-hour of media access to practice, moving it up this week to the special teams portion of the workout so that reporters were excused before players even began stretching.

Prophet
10-29-2006, 01:19 AM
KFFL
Vikings | M. Robinson misses practice Saturday
Sat, 28 Oct 2006 21:40:11 -0700

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings WR Marcus Robinson (concussion) missed practice Saturday, Oct. 28 and remains questionable for the Week 8 game.

grpape
10-29-2006, 01:19 AM
This is true ejmat. if the receiver is covered. However the times that BJ has under thrown Williamson, he had the DB beat by at least two steps. I do know the game and understand that sometimes under throwing the ball is best for the receiver (he has the best opportunity to adjust or get a flag). I just think that (with the pressure of producing in his second season), Williamson could get a little slack.

kramer9guy
10-31-2006, 11:17 AM
Another game, another spectacular dropped pass by Williamson. I'm not giving up on this season yet by any means, but we really really need to upgrade the WR position next season. The glaring deficiencies are sickening.

V-Unit
10-31-2006, 05:56 PM
"kramer9guy" wrote:

Another game, another spectacular dropped pass by Williamson. I'm not giving up on this season yet by any means, but we really really need to upgrade the WR position next season. The glaring deficiencies are sickening.

At this point you are just looking for situations in which he fails. He leaves the team in receptions and is the only solid option for the QB all night long, but he has one dropped pass so you bitch and moan. The guy comes back from a concussion, has a decent game, and gets no love because he didn't make one one-handed grab. That is what is really sickening.

cajunvike
10-31-2006, 06:04 PM
The main problem is that all of our WRs pale in comparison to Randy Moss...we are spoiled for the most part.
Brad doesn't always make the deep throws that we need to really get vertical...and when he does, there is the occasional drop that spoils the great throw.

We just need to get more consistent...that way drives don't stall...unless the refs stall them with BS penalties against our offense or no-calls on the opposing defense!

ejmat
11-01-2006, 11:45 AM
I'll be honest.
I'm not comparing anyone to Moss because that has nothing to do with the WRs currently on the team.
I'm not really looking to find things TWill does wrong.
However, it is very obvious he has a hand-eye coordination problem.
That ball TWill dropped on Monday hit him in the helmet.
Both hands could have been used to catch the ball.
He just wasn't aware of where the ball was.
When you are that far down field you should have a chance to see at that point.

I'm not saying BJ had a great game.
IMO it was one of his worst games as a pro.
However he laid that pass right there and TWill didn't produce.
Then there is Travis Taylor that has a knack of fumbling.
MRob is the most solid of the WRs but he is hurt.
At this point I don't see anything wrong with promoting Carter.
He can't do any worse than the 4th or 5th WRs are doing now.
Sorry to say all this but there is a problem there.
I know TWill has come up big at times however his dropped passes should not be happening at this level.
If I were a QB throwing to him my confidence wouldn't be there.

kramer9guy
11-01-2006, 12:46 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

"kramer9guy" wrote:

At this point you are just looking for situations in which he fails. He leaves the team in receptions and is the only solid option for the QB all night long, but he has one dropped pass so you beeyatch and moan. The guy comes back from a concussion, has a decent game, and gets no love because he didn't make one one-handed grab. That is what is really sickening.

Whatever man. I know you're a Williamson apologist, but don't make it sound like I'm looking for him to fail or that I am the only person pointing out Troy's obvious problems with catching the ball (Did you listen to or read the Childress press conference yesterday? Have you listened to any of the Twin Cities sports talk shows?). I am not close to the only one critisizing Troy Williamson. I want him him to catch the damn ball, believe me, but he has obvious problems doing so. And as I have stated before, leading this Vikings team in receptions is no great feat right now. We drastically lack a playmaker at the WR position currently (as far as I'm concerned, Marcus Robinson is as close as we've come to a playmaker WR this season...ie. catching the important balls). Additionally, it wouldn't have been a one-handed grab Monday night. The ball almost lodged in his face mask it was thrown so well.

snowinapril
11-01-2006, 12:55 PM
"kramer9guy" wrote:

"V-Unit" wrote:

"kramer9guy" wrote:

At this point you are just looking for situations in which he fails. He leaves the team in receptions and is the only solid option for the QB all night long, but he has one dropped pass so you beeyatch and moan. The guy comes back from a concussion, has a decent game, and gets no love because he didn't make one one-handed grab. That is what is really sickening.

Whatever man. I know you're a Williamson apologist, but don't make it sound like I'm looking for him to fail or that I am the only person pointing out Troy's obvious problems with catching the ball (Did you listen to or read the Childress press conference yesterday? Have you listened to any of the Twin Cities sports talk shows?). I am not close to the only one critisizing Troy Williamson. I want him him to catch the gol 'darnit ball, believe me, but he has obvious problems doing so. And as I have stated before, leading this Vikings team in receptions is no great feat right now. We drastically lack a playmaker at the WR position currently (as far as I'm concerned, Marcus Robinson is as close as we've come to a playmaker WR this season...ie. catching the important balls). Additionally, it wouldn't have been a one-handed grab Monday night. The ball almost lodged in his face mask it was thrown so well.

I liked your argument, could have left out the talk show part, of course the talk show will rip TW.

All that really needs to be said is look at what Chilly said about TW in the PC.

Q: Troy Williamson has had trouble with a couple of deep passes this year. What is your sense of what is going on there?
A: First of all, his eyes have been checked and he's 20-20. They have the visual acuity with your peripheral vision. He was checked at the combine with all that kind of thing. I think one of the toughest adjustments in sports is to adjust to a football that's thrown back over your head going full speed and then being able to locate down the field. Obviously, at the professional level you need to be able to make that adjustment and he's demonstrated some problems with that. I thought it was a very good throw and I would have liked to seen him adjust to the football obviously.

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=149&topic=28747.0

V-Unit
11-01-2006, 06:40 PM
I never said you were the only one knocking, Williamson. The fact is I'm one of the few who still support him. That being said, I'm being more realistic than optimistic. Although he did drop a pass on Monday, he also made a some tough catches, which nobody wants to talk about. Williamson deserves the criticism, all I am saying is that he also deserves patience as well.

I think pointing out one Williamson drop in a game where the whole team did nothing right is looking for him to fail. If you are upset that Williamson dropped another pass, I would expect you to be livid at Mckinney and calling for Brad to be benched. Instead one drop is your only concern.

Yes has has dropsies. Even so, our young receiver is getting better. Nobody gives him credit for that, and I don't know why.

ejmat
11-01-2006, 10:27 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

I never said you were the only one knocking, Williamson. The fact is I'm one of the few who still support him. That being said, I'm being more realistic than optimistic. Although he did drop a pass on Monday, he also made a some tough catches, which nobody wants to talk about. Williamson deserves the criticism, all I am saying is that he also deserves patience as well.

I think pointing out one Williamson drop in a game where the whole team did nothing right is looking for him to fail. If you are upset that Williamson dropped another pass, I would expect you to be livid at Mckinney and calling for Brad to be benched. Instead one drop is your only concern.

Yes has has dropsies. Even so, our young receiver is getting better. Nobody gives him credit for that, and I don't know why.

Hey V,
How's it going?
I have to disagree with you on this one.
TWill hasn't really improved at all.
Like I stated in another post he has made a few big plays this year.
That's great and I appreciate it however at this level he should be making big plays.
He was a #7 overall pick in the draft.
He was drafted and gets paid a lot of money to make plays.
He really hasn't shown actual improvement.
He has better numbers than he did last year but that's because his role changed.
He went from a #4 WR to a #1.
His eyes alone aren't the problem.
It's his hand-eye coordination that's the problem.
At this level you can't be dropping the passes he has dropped.
He is in his second year.
He's not a rookie anymore.
I do support him and hope he does very well but what I don't see is improvement.
I still see him dropping passes and BJ getting blamed for his "low" stats.
Granted BJ probably played the worst game of his life Monday night and deserves criticism for it.
However part of the "low" stats this year are contributed by the WRs inabilities to catch and/or hold onto the football.
Unfortunately TWill fits that mold at this time.

kramer9guy
11-01-2006, 11:04 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

V-unit, I know where you're coming from. But at the same time, I'm not calling for Troy to be benched, just step it up a little. Same for Brad, same for McKinney, etc... I'm a supporter of them all as Vikings, it's just that Williamson's weekly drops are getting tiresome to me. When he catches the ball on many of those short routes, it's not noticed as much because that is what he is supposed to do. But when he drops the big ones game after game, that stands out like a sore thumb because it happens a lot. But I must say, one big-time playmaking catch in the next game or the one after that and I'm going to be standing and cheering as much as you. I want him to succeed. I really do.

Purple_Hope
11-01-2006, 11:16 PM
I agree with V-Unit. I saw Williamson make a few nice grabs Monday night. He missed that one deep ball but I think that might have been his only dropped 'catchable' ball all night. Imagine what he might be capable of once he gets that 'taste' of the endzone. I think a little bit of confidence is going to go a long ways with this young receiver. Give him a break. I thought Monday night he showed a lot of improvement.

grpape
11-02-2006, 12:30 AM
I've watched that play over and over again. His hand was pulled down when the ball was comming down. I think he lost his concentration because of this (he should still try for the ball). I hope someone posts it, because it is definatly PI. Troy did make a lot of catches during the game, and even a one handed grab.

I really think that we got screwed with the bad calls and non-calls. If you see where they were or weren't, it definatly was at times when we were driving with some momentum. I'm not saying that we would've won the game, but it did steer the outcome.

ejmat
11-03-2006, 08:53 AM
"grpape" wrote:

I've watched that play over and over again. His hand was pulled down when the ball was comming down. I think he lost his concentration because of this (he should still try for the ball). I hope someone posts it, because it is definatly PI. Troy did make a lot of catches during the game, and even a one handed grab.

I really think that we got screwed with the bad calls and non-calls. If you see where they were or weren't, it definatly was at times when we were driving with some momentum. I'm not saying that we would've won the game, but it did steer the outcome.

I'd like to see the replay too.
I don't remember seeing PI but I may be wrong.
When I watched the replay I saw the ball hitting him without an attempt to catch the ball.
Other calls or non-calls were a little rediculous in this game and could have changed the outcome (at least in the final scoring).