PDA

View Full Version : Fox sports says Hasselbeck's injury a "Cheap Shot" by EJ

Slade
10-23-2006, 02:07 PM
John Czarnecki / FOXSports.com
Posted: 15 hours ago

Seattle blue
The Seahawks' 12-game home-winning streak went up in smoke with a 31-13 loss to Minnesota, but the news could end up being worse on Monday when the results of a MRI exam on Matt Hasselbeck's right knee are known. You hate to guess, but Hasselbeck could have a torn a ligament on what definitely looked like a cheap shot by Minnesota linebacker E.J. Henderson.
On the play in question, Henderson seemed to keep on rolling onto Hasselbeck's leg in a slow-motion routine. It definitely looked like he could have stopped if he wanted to. Yes, the Seahawks may get MVP Shaun Alexander back in a week or two, but this offense is built around Hasselbeck. That's why they traded with New England for Deion Branch and signed Nate Burleson in free agency.

Seattle knows its window of opportunity — another Super Bowl shot — is this season. Seneca Wallace may keep the Seahawks in the race, but they aren't winning any playoff games with him. Also I'm sure that Seattle coach Mike Holmgren noticed that his favorite All-World guard, Steve Hutchinson, helped spring running back Chester Taylor on his team-record 95-yard touchdown for the Vikings.

- I didn't think it was, but what do you think?

cogitans
10-23-2006, 02:10 PM
That is crazy. Everyone who saw the game and the replays, would be able to see that Henderson never tried to hit Matt.

It was simply an accident.

x-ray jeff
10-23-2006, 02:11 PM
On the replay it was obvious he was pushed into Hasselbeck.Not a cheap shot.

Del Rio
10-23-2006, 02:11 PM
I do not think it was a cheap shot. It happens all the time, he got hurt this time. It is unfortunate.

Prophet
10-23-2006, 02:12 PM
Complete BS.
That was obviously accidental.
Conspiracy theory BS.

NodakAttack
10-23-2006, 02:14 PM
Absolutely not a cheap shot.
Morris, Strong, or some Seattle OL definitely pushed him into Hasselback.
Even if EJ could've physically stopped his body from the continued roll, he wouldn't necessarily known he was about to hit Hasselback.
It was definitely unintentional.
That is the way it goes.
I feel bad for Hasselback, but you can't possibly blame EJ.

TARKenton
10-23-2006, 02:15 PM
Same scenario that got carson palmer in the playoffs last year.
EJ was blocked into matt, plain and simple.
EJ is not a dirty player.
Frankly, I think we still would have beaten their jiggly butts had hasselback stayed in.

thevikingfan
10-23-2006, 02:16 PM
O that is the biggest bs ever! You can clearly see #38 the fullback mack strong push ej into hasselbeck!The media is after the viking again!

AngloVike
10-23-2006, 02:16 PM
Well given the standard of some of the commentating from Fox Sports then I'm not surprised that this jerk says its cheap shot - obviously having the ability to watch the game and see what is happening is not a requirement at Fox.
Some of these guys don't know their arse from their elbow
;D

Slade
10-23-2006, 02:20 PM
"AngloVike" wrote:

Well given the standard of some of the commentating from Fox Sports then I'm not surprised that this jerk says its cheap shot - obviously having the ability to watch the game and see what is happening is not a requirement at Fox.
Some of these guys don't know their arse from their elbow
;D

- And this guy from Fox is known as the CZAR? He needs thicker glasses if anything
;)

NodakPaul
10-23-2006, 02:30 PM
Not a cheap shot IMHO.
Even the ESPN analysists agree that he was blocked into Hass.
Plus, the ref was less than three feet away when it happened, and he obviously didn't think it was a cheap shot.

Just another writer trying to write an exciting article.

cajunvike
10-23-2006, 02:33 PM
That writer needs to STFU!!!

Must be a writer that is used to writing inflammatory political BS!!!

Vikefanman2000
10-23-2006, 02:34 PM
What a bunch of horse Doodie....that wasnt even close to being a cheapshot!
EJ was CLEARLY pushed right into Hass!

I checked out Foxes website and of course "The CZAR" is too chickendoodie to post his email address.
At least the dork (Robinson) on Yahoo puts his email address out there for the world.

The following is a email address off of the internet....anyone think this highschool picture is actually The Czar.

http://www.salesian72.com/individual.cfm?id=21

if it is, it gives a personal email address.
I sure would like to send this moron a piece of my mind.
I think it is Doodie to call a person character into question for a hit like that.
I hope EJ responds in the paper by calling him out as the coward he is!

cogitans
10-23-2006, 02:43 PM
"TARKenton" wrote:

Same scenario that got carson palmer in the playoffs last year.
EJ was blocked into matt, plain and simple.
EJ is not a dirty player.
Frankly, I think we still would have beaten their jiggly butts had hasselback stayed in.

That's true. And that play was not Kimo von Oelhoffen's fault either.

Del Rio
10-23-2006, 02:46 PM
"Vikefanman2000" wrote:

What a bunch of horse Doodie....that wasnt even close to being a cheapshot!
EJ was CLEARLY pushed right into Hass!

I checked out Foxes website and of course "The CZAR" is too chickendoodie to post his email address.
At least the dork (Robinson) on Yahoo puts his email address out there for the world.

The following is a email address off of the internet....anyone think this highschool picture is actually The Czar.

http://www.salesian72.com/individual.cfm?id=21

if it is, it gives a personal email address.
I sure would like to send this silly guy a piece of my mind.
I think it is Doodie to call a person character into question for a hit like that.
I hope EJ responds in the paper by calling him out as the coward he is!

I doubt it is but I'll mail you a dollar if you just go buck wild and tear him a new ass and post the response here. I can just see some guy crying and not knowing what the hell it is your talking about.

PurplePride80
10-23-2006, 02:48 PM
It was a questionable hit, but I really don't think it was a cheap shot.

Prophet
10-23-2006, 02:50 PM
"PurplePride80" wrote:

???, it wasn't even a hit.
He fell into him while trying to get up while he was facing the direction of the play.

PurplePride80
10-23-2006, 02:53 PM
I wonder what the Seahawks fans think about this, maybe we should visit Seahawkshuddle.com and find out.

Ltrey33
10-23-2006, 02:54 PM
Dude needs to get his eyes checked. He was clearly blocked into him. The running back pushed him in the back as he was going by, which caused him to stumble and fall into Hasselbeck. No way was it cheap.

Prophet
10-23-2006, 02:56 PM
"PurplePride80" wrote:

I wonder what the Seahawks fans think about this, maybe we should visit Seahawkshuddle.com and find out.

Who cares, watch the video and it is obvious.
If they think it was intentional they are just as retarded as the author of this rumor.

I heard that Hasselbeck faked the injury and just wanted to spend some time with Brett Favre.
I'm not sure if it's true though.

tcvike
10-23-2006, 02:56 PM
He was clearly blocked into Hasselback, and when they did make contact he barely touched him.

cajunvike
10-23-2006, 02:57 PM
Here's the story:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6088870

Excerpt:

The Seahawks' 12-game home-winning streak went up in smoke with a 31-13 loss to Minnesota, but the news could end up being worse on Monday when the results of a MRI exam on Matt Hasselbeck's right knee are known. You hate to guess, but Hasselbeck could have a torn a ligament on what definitely looked like a cheap shot by Minnesota linebacker E.J. Henderson.

On the play in question, Henderson seemed to keep on rolling onto Hasselbeck's leg in a slow-motion routine. It definitely looked like he could have stopped if he wanted to. Yes, the Seahawks may get MVP Shaun Alexander back in a week or two, but this offense is built around Hasselbeck. That's why they traded with New England for Deion Branch and signed Nate Burleson in free agency.

Seattle knows its window of opportunity — another Super Bowl shot — is this season. Seneca Wallace may keep the Seahawks in the race, but they aren't winning any playoff games with him. Also I'm sure that Seattle coach Mike Holmgren noticed that his favorite All-World guard, Steve Hutchinson, helped spring running back Chester Taylor on his team-record 95-yard touchdown for the Vikings.

As opposed to this hit that didn't even get a mention from "The Czar":

Minnesota WR Troy Williamson left midway through the first quarter with a concussion. His head hit the ground after getting shoved by Ken Hamlin while leaping for a high pass. Williamson said he was unconscious for 10 seconds.

PUHLEEZE!!!!
I thought that The Czar was a knowledgable football writer...but this is totally changing my mind on him!
What a frickin idiot!!!

Prophet
10-23-2006, 03:00 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

...I thought that The Czar was a knowledgable football writer...but this is totally changing my mind on him!
What a frickin idiot!!!

The Czar is no Prophet, that's for sure.

Del Rio
10-23-2006, 03:10 PM
On the F2F site they have this article:

Seahawks Not Safe at Home
Vikings defense downs top QB
-- Clayton Sears, Inside the Hawks

You didn’t need to be there to hear the moan from the crowd, as Pro Bowl QB Matt Hasselbeck fell to the ground following an incompletion on 3rd down in the 3rd quarter of the Seahawks-Vikings game yesterday. My first reaction was that it was a late hit. Then when I saw the replay I was sure it was a cheap shot, a dirty play purposely done to injure our QB. Maybe it was smart football, but it sure seemed like a cheap shot.

Then they have a poll going.

http://www.seahawkshuddle.com/v1/viewtopic.php?t=12537

Nothing special. Only one vote atm. Please do not go spam their board just posted in case you were interested in what they think.

COJOMAY
10-23-2006, 03:17 PM
Another reason to hate the Bengals -- their flagship radio station WLW 700 is now reporting that it was definatly a "cheap shot" by the Vikes who purposely meant to get Hasselbeck out of the game. "He could have stopped short of him but rolled into his knee on purpose," said one of their sportcasters this afternoon. And then he followed that up by saying "when they came to Cincinnati last year were out to hurt Chad Johnson. The Vikings are nothing but a bunch of thugs," the announcer said, "and there should be an apology coming from the team and a big fine from the league."

Zeus
10-23-2006, 03:18 PM
"Slade" wrote:

Seattle blue

Goddamn Right-Wing Media!!

=Z=

cogitans
10-23-2006, 03:20 PM
It looks like most sportswriters out there agrees on calling it a cheap shot.

I really don't get it. Do we really see with such purple eyes?

jargomcfargo
10-23-2006, 03:28 PM
"Acumen" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

...I thought that The Czar was a knowledgable football writer...but this is totally changing my mind on him!
What a frickin idiot!!!

The Czar is no Prophet, that's for sure.

You have Prophet locked in your basement don't you?

Come on you can tell me.

AngloVike
10-23-2006, 03:29 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Another reason to hate the Bengals -- their flagship radio station WLW 700 is now reporting that it was definatly a "cheap shot" by the Vikes who purposely meant to get Hasselbeck out of the game. "He could have stopped short of him but rolled into his knee on purpose," said one of their sportcasters this afternoon. And then he followed that up by saying "when they came to Cincinnati last year were out to hurt Chad Johnson. The Vikings are nothing but a bunch of thugs," the announcer said, "and there should be an apology coming from the team and a big fine from the league."

excuse me...... Bengals are accusing the Vikes of being a bunch of thugs ??

http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/laughing/072.gif say it ain't so !

triedandtruevikesfan
10-23-2006, 03:31 PM
I haven't seen it, but I just can not see EJ doing something like that on purpose.
Seriously, if we went out there to hurt players on purpose do you think we would have lost 2 games?
We'd be out there purposefully taking out every QB that challenges us.

Garland Greene
10-23-2006, 03:34 PM
Cheap shot? OMG please tell me that they are not serious. How do you prevent someone from blocking you into someone.
Stuff happens its a contact sport. last I checked. If I in anyway thought it was a cheap shot I would be one of the first ripping EJ for it and insist that he be fined or suspened if not both. I hate cheap play. But this in no way was one.

Garland Greene
10-23-2006, 03:36 PM
"AngloVike" wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

excuse me...... Bengals are accusing the Vikes of being a bunch of thugs ??

http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/laughing/072.gif say it ain't so !

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Thge Bengal make us look like a group of Boy scouts compaired to them.

BloodyHorns82
10-23-2006, 03:37 PM
While I was watching the game I thought that it might have been a cheap shot.
But after watching highlights on ESPN last night I have completely changed my mind.
It looked to me like it was from the block/hit put on by Seattle player.
I don't even think EJ could have known Hasselbeck was that close behind him.
Screw the media.
The StarTribune printed a little blurb on EJ telling Burleson to tell Hasselbeck it was an accident and that he wishes him the best.

jargomcfargo
10-23-2006, 03:40 PM
"Slade" wrote:

Seattle blue

- I didn't think it was, but what do you think?

My guess is the poison pill is a bitter pill to swallow today.

It is what it is . The league will likely look at it.I doubt there will be any fines.

I don't know where that Cincy crap came from. It sounds made up.

Kind of like the pope called it incidental contact.

Czar of what?

PurpleRide
10-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Funny espn says EJ was pushed into the QB.
Just fox sports being inferior AGAIN to espn.

whackthepack
10-23-2006, 03:54 PM
They need some excuse and this is it so take all the shots they want and there will be no fine or league issues, he was blocked / thrown down and his momentum carried him into Hasselbeck and that is that.

mnjamie
10-23-2006, 03:57 PM
No Flag -> No Foul -> No Fine.

Yet another reason to not read anything but PP.O ... The Truth SHALL SET YOU FREE !!!!

MetalMike-LoudVike
10-23-2006, 04:18 PM
I will jump on the B.S. bandwagon I watched that whole game momentum its a dangerous mofo. I laugh at the
idea of Chad Johnson calling the Vikings thugs???
I have a quick question Who is leading the league in arrests???

and what team is rocking a blaze orange Uniform 1 step closer to being a inmate of the state LOL at the idea The Vikings are thugs
MMLV

ultravikingfan
10-23-2006, 04:31 PM
If he didn't do it on purpose...good.

If for some reason he did...good.

It's football.
All seasoned vets know it.
It's the seasoned asshats who do not.

cajunvike
10-23-2006, 04:34 PM
"mnjamie" wrote:

No Flag -> No Foul -> No Fine.

Yet another reason to not read anything but PP.O ... The Truth SHALL SET YOU FREE !!!!

Amen, Undercover Purple Brotha!

eelpout72
10-23-2006, 06:07 PM
Rich Eisen from NFL network also made a comment last night where he expressed surprise that a penalty wasnt called.
ridculous!

singersp
10-23-2006, 06:26 PM
"Acumen" wrote:

"PurplePride80" wrote:

???, it wasn't even a hit.
He fell into him while trying to get up while he was facing the direction of the play.

It was neither. It was Matt Stong (#38) who knocked EJ off his feet backwards into Hasslebeck. If they want to blame someone, blame Matt Strong.

Ultra, you taped the game like I did, get that clip out there & forward the link to that pencildick reporter.

The injury occurred when Hasselbeck fell backwards as his right leg was pinned by the torso of linebacker E.J. Henderson on a third-down pass play.

An MRI later confirmed the strain.

"I was falling to the ground and [Seahawks fullback] Mack Strong kind of pushed me," Henderson recalled. "I definitely didn't mean to do it.

"It was definitely an accident. I hope he gets back soon."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/story/2006/10/23/nfl-seahawks-hasselbeck.html

BigMoInAZ
10-23-2006, 06:43 PM
WOW!
What a bunch of Pooh Pooh!
Just watched the Hot List on ESPN and former CB Eric Green was reviewing the play and stated that "initially he thought this was a cheap shot by EJ Henderson, but after reviewing the tape today and seeing it again here in slow motion, it's obvious Henderson was blocked into Hasselback by Mack Strong and didn't do this intentionally!"
It's strange how the human eye works and at the time of the injury most of us watching from the bar groaned loudly as we watched the play unfold expecting as usual to see a flag and the 15 yard penalty!
Guess again!
When sports casters from FOX can't take the time to review the tape and then make an IGNORANT response, it's obvious that the "LIBERAL MEDIA" is at work again! :P

singersp
10-23-2006, 06:45 PM
"BigMoInAZ" wrote:

WOW!
Just watched the Hot List on ESPN and former CB Eric Green was reviewing the play and stated that "initially he thought this was a cheap shot by EJ Henderson, but after reviewing the tape today and seeing it again here in slow motion, it's obvious Henderson was blocked into Hasselback by Mack Strong and didn't do this intentionally!"
It's strange how the human eye works and at the time of the injury most of us watching from the bar groaned loudly as we watched the play unfold expecting as usual to see a flag and the 15 yard penalty!
Guess again!
When sports casters from FOX can't take the time to review the tape and then make an IGNORANT response, it's obvious that the "LIBERAL MEDIA" is at work again! :P

If you watch the following video clip, you will see Strong knocking EJ into Hasselbeck.

Clip of the Hasselbeck injury (http://www.nfl.com/video)

Watch the clip of the Vikings Seattle game.

grpape
10-23-2006, 07:48 PM
No yellow laundry, not a cheap shot!

i_bleed_purple
10-23-2006, 07:48 PM
if the vikings were out there to injure qb's, why injure hassleback? its not like we're going to play the seahawks many more times, if they were going out to take out a qb, why not make it grossman? or kitna?
its just more viking hating media.

VAKirks
10-23-2006, 08:39 PM
At first I wondered too - but on the replay it is clear that EJ wasn't even looking at the QB.
I don't think EJ even knew Hassleback was there - I saw no continuation of motion.
Fox Sports needs to get it's story straight.

Muggsy
10-23-2006, 09:03 PM
O.K. youse mugs, listen up!

Dis is a clip from Pro Football Talk.
I don't usually read what those bums have ta say ( o.k., I gets someone ta read it to me ), cause dey seem ta like raggin' on someone rather dan tell da story, y'know?
But, I wanted ta see what dey were gonna say about it, an' here's what dey said...
-----------------------------------------------
HASSELBECK GETS KIMO'ED

Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck suffered a sprained knee on the opening drive of the third quarter of Sunday afternoon's home game against the Vikings.
Hasselbeck's right knee buckled and he grabbed at it in pain after Minnesota linebacker E.J. Henderson hit him low following a throw.

It was a scene eerily similar to Carson Palmer's torn ACL suffered in a January playoff game, when then-Steelers defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen hit Palmer in the leg after he threw a long pass to receiver Chris Henry.

In contrast to the Palmer play, Henderson appeared to have been blocked into Hasselbeck's knee.
At this point, it's not known whether Hasselbeck has any torn ligaments.

Backup Seneca Wallace threw an interception in his first time on the field after Hasselbeck was hurt.

--------------------------------------
I've seen da video, an' ta say dat torpedo Henderson would stoop to doin' sumpin' low class like dat gets me sore!
>:(

I tink it might be time ta pay a visit to some of dose reporters, y'know?
--------------------------------------
P.S.: Here's what Hasselbeck has ta say on da matta...

Hasselbeck has strained knee ligament

Associated Press
Posted: 51 minutes ago

KIRKLAND, Wash. (AP) - Seattle Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck will miss at least three weeks with a strained ligament in his right knee.

And he's not happy about how it happened.

Hasselbeck believes Minnesota's E.J. Henderson could have avoided rolling into his lower right leg Sunday early in the second half of Seattle's loss to the Vikings.

"I don't think it was unavoidable, but only he would know," Hasselbeck said of Henderson and his hit, which was not penalized.

The play occurred when the Vikings' linebacker came off a block by fullback Mack Strong and swung his torso
??? into Hasselbeck's leg, which was planted after he had just thrown an incomplete pass.

"I'm sure he didn't try to put me out for a long period of time - but they didn't want me to finish the game, either," Hasselbeck said.
::)

An MRI taken Monday showed the Pro Bowl quarterback strained his right medial collateral ligament. Coach Mike Holmgren said Hasselbeck has a Grade 2 sprain on a three-grade scale and will miss "around" three games. He will return no sooner than the Nov. 19 game at San Francisco.

"I guess it's kind of good news for me," Holmgren said. "It could have been worse, certainly."

Hasselbeck said he is constantly aware of people at his feet to guard against injury, "within a certain amount of time after I throw." He said he relaxed in this case, thinking the play was over.

"I guess I learned my lesson," he said.

After Sunday's game, Henderson was apologetic.

"I was falling to the ground and Mack Strong kind of pushed. I definitely didn't mean to do it," said Henderson, a fourth-year veteran from Maryland. "It was definitely an accident. I hope he gets back soon."

But Hasselbeck said if the same situation had occurred with a Seahawks defender and Minnesota's quarterback, there would have been no incident.

"If Brad Johnson is the quarterback on that play, I guarantee nobody touches his knee," Hasselbeck said.
???

When asked Monday if he thought Henderson's hit was clean, Holmgren said, "I'm going to stay away from that ... I'm going to let someone else make that call."
--------------------------------------------
Hasselbeck ain't only got a strained ligament, he got a strained brain!
:P

WBLVikeBabe
10-23-2006, 09:17 PM
I was surprised that a penalty wasn't called not because it was a "cheap shot" but because of the penalty curse on Minnesota teams.
Obviously it wasn't a penalty but I wouldn't have been surprised if they had called it because we always get screwed over with flags.

The Dropper
10-23-2006, 09:18 PM
"BigMoInAZ" wrote:

WOW!
Guess again!

umm...explain? Are you bashing FOX or the "liberal media"?

BadlandsVikings
10-23-2006, 09:25 PM
The exact same hit happened to Ron Mexico or Peyton Manning (I can't remember which one) and it was called a penalty.
I think it all depends on what the Refs see.

vikinggreg
10-23-2006, 09:49 PM
Looks like Hasselbeck is complain about the contact as well

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6091016

Why didn't Matt just move as the pocket started to crumble, nobody was pushing him in the back

Deronn
10-23-2006, 09:56 PM
Now Seattle (Hasselbeck) is saying that it was avoidable and that the Vikings were trying to knock him out of the game. These columns are now out to make Henderson and the rest of the Vikes D look like dirty players.

What a bunch of garbage!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6091016?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

Associated Press
Posted: 1 hour ago

KIRKLAND, Wash. (AP) - Seattle Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck will miss at least three weeks with a strained ligament in his right knee.

And he's not happy about how it happened

Hasselbeck believes Minnesota's E.J. Henderson could have avoided rolling into his lower right leg Sunday early in the second half of Seattle's loss to the Vikings.

"I don't think it was unavoidable, but only he would know," Hasselbeck said of Henderson and his hit, which was not penalized.

The play occurred when the Vikings' linebacker came off a block by fullback Mack Strong and swung his torso into Hasselbeck's leg, which was planted after he had just thrown an incomplete pass.

"I'm sure he didn't try to put me out for a long period of time - but they didn't want me to finish the game, either," Hasselbeck said.

An MRI taken Monday showed the Pro Bowl quarterback strained his right medial collateral ligament. Coach Mike Holmgren said Hasselbeck has a Grade 2 sprain on a three-grade scale and will miss "around" three games. He will return no sooner than the Nov. 19 game at San Francisco.

"I guess it's kind of good news for me," Holmgren said. "It could have been worse, certainly."

Seneca Wallace, a fourth-year veteran, will make his first NFL start Sunday at Kansas City (3-3). The Seahawks (4-2) are already without league MVP Shaun Alexander, who is out with a broken foot. Holmgren said the 2005 league rushing leader is on track to return Nov. 6 against Oakland.

Hasselbeck said he is constantly aware of people at his feet to guard against injury, "within a certain amount of time after I throw." He said he relaxed in this case, thinking the play was over.

"I was falling to the ground and Mack Strong kind of pushed. I definitely didn't mean to do it," said Henderson, a fourth-year veteran from Maryland. "It was definitely an accident. I hope he gets back soon."

But Hasselbeck said if the same situation had occurred with a Seahawks defender and Minnesota's quarterback, there would have been no incident.

"If Brad Johnson is the quarterback on that play, I guarantee nobody touches his knee," Hasselbeck said.

When asked Monday if he thought Henderson's hit was clean, Holmgren said, "I'm going to stay away from that ... I'm going to let someone else make that call."

Replacing Hasselbeck, Wallace was 14-for-25 for 134 yards passing with two interceptions. He also lost a fumble in his own end zone while Ben Leber sacked him. Kevin Williams covered the ball for Minnesota's final score.

Monday, the athletic, 5-foot-11, former Iowa State star said he has something to prove to the league, beginning Sunday against the Chiefs.

"I welcome all challenges. This is what my job is," Wallace said.

Holmgren said the Seahawks are considering signing a veteran, free-agent quarterback to back up Wallace until Hasselbeck returns.

realviking
10-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Sensationalism is FOX's business, and business is good!!

Anyway, it'll likely be a few years before we shed the bad-boy team label, though.
We're gonna get reputation calls, no two ways about it.

Potus2028
10-23-2006, 10:08 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"BigMoInAZ" wrote:

WOW!
Guess again!

If you watch the following video clip, you will see Strong knocking EJ into Hasselbeck.

http://www.nfl.com/home

YES YES YES

nobody seems to be recognizing it..

it wasnt a cheap shot, because it wasnt a shot!

it wasnt unintentional hit, because hit didnt hit him

and it wasnt EJ's fault because HE GOT PUSHED INTO HASSLEBACK!!
my dad said that on the first replay afterwards, and none of the media seem to notice

ThorSPL
10-23-2006, 10:37 PM
Wow, I actually can't believe Hasselbeck made those remarks...
I don't even feel bad anymore if those quotes aren't taken totally out of context.

verovike
10-23-2006, 10:40 PM
We're gonna get reputation calls, no two ways about it.

That's the sad part...Our team will suffer bs calls in the future for some whining (and obvious Hawks fan) reporter's biased opinion.
The contact was unavoidable, just a result of good hustle on EJ's part.
I don't believe that they had any better chance of winning with him in the game.
He knew our defense was gonna come after him the whole game, he was making hurried, bad throws, they were already in his head.
Kinda reminded me of #4 when J.Randle used to chase him around the Dome!
He couldn't wait till 4th down so he could go sit on the sideline.
Oh well, fox reporters have to try to sell their fishwrapper too, I guess. ;)

Bleed Purple

vv

BigMoInAZ
10-23-2006, 10:51 PM
"The" wrote:

"BigMoInAZ" wrote:

WOW!
Guess again!

umm...explain? Are you bashing FOX or the "liberal media"?

;D Both!
Or are you implying that FOX and liberal are incompatible?

jargomcfargo
10-23-2006, 10:56 PM
Honestly I would like to see this thread deleted or locked.
The discriminating fan will see this for what it really is; Hasselbeck whining and making excuses for his poor play and looking for a scapegoat for his teams loss.
He just stood there looking downfield not even paying attention to what was going on around him.
Jargomcfargo says, put the red dress on him; he earned it!
Delete this thread. We need to look ahead without this petty distraction.
We all saw what really happened.

The Dropper
10-23-2006, 11:40 PM
"Deronn" wrote:

Now Seattle (Hasselbeck) is saying that it was avoidable and that the Vikings were trying to knock him out of the game. These columns are now out to make Henderson and the rest of the Vikes D look like dirty players.

What a bunch of garbage!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6091016?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

Associated Press
Posted: 1 hour ago

And he's not happy about how it happened

The play occurred when the Vikings' linebacker came off a block by fullback Mack Strong and swung his torso into Hasselbeck's leg, which was planted after he had just thrown an incomplete pass.

Seneca Wallace, a fourth-year veteran, will make his first NFL start Sunday at Kansas City (3-3). The Seahawks (4-2) are already without league MVP Shaun Alexander, who is out with a broken foot. Holmgren said the 2005 league rushing leader is on track to return Nov. 6 against Oakland.

Replacing Hasselbeck, Wallace was 14-for-25 for 134 yards passing with two interceptions. He also lost a fumble in his own end zone while Ben Leber sacked him. Kevin Williams covered the ball for Minnesota's final score.

Monday, the athletic, 5-foot-11, former Iowa State star said he has something to prove to the league, beginning Sunday against the Chiefs.

"I welcome all challenges. This is what my job is," Wallace said.

Holmgren said the Seahawks are considering signing a veteran, free-agent quarterback to back up Wallace until Hasselbeck returns.

Uh Oh! Here come's the Wah-mbulance! Wahhhhhhhhhh!

In all seriousness, I feel crappy for what happened to Matt, but there's no reason to blame EJ. Just unprofessional on Hasselbeck's part, IMO. And what's this garbage about no one would have taken out Brad's knee? If Tony Richardson had blocked someone in the back into Brad Johnson, we'd probably be talking about a broken spine instead of sprained knee.
;) What happened to Matt is a gol' darnit shame, but it's football, and it's no reason to jump on the self-pity/denial wagon.

oddmanout22287
10-23-2006, 11:50 PM
This is the same team that blamed the Superbowl loss on officiating, instead of dropped passes.
Why would you expect them to do anything but shield the blame onto someone/something else when the press is asking about their "upset loss" to the Vikings?
It'll be awhile after the press and everyone else will stop labeling the Vikings as "dirty" and "bad boys", so just get used to it.
In the meantime....
http://pr0n.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/3/3c/Ambulance2.jpg

cajunvike
10-23-2006, 11:50 PM
His wife is less of a puss than he is...give him the dress alright!!!

singersp
10-24-2006, 01:58 AM

Hasselbeck didn't see Strong block EJ into him because he's watching the pass & that statement may have been made prior to him seeing the video.

But video doesn't lie;

AngloVike
10-24-2006, 02:35 AM
Basically the Hawks are upset at being embarassed at home by a Vikes D that has moved way up the rankings and will now latch onto anything that can be used to excuse a poor home performance.
How long before some of the so-called 'experts' start attributing the turnaround in the defence this year to 'dirty' tactics rather than the coaching that Tomlin is providing.

midgensa
10-24-2006, 02:56 AM
I don't think it was a cheap shot personally ... but I don't think it is a "conspiracy theory" or "another attack on the Vikings" or whatever everyone wants to say. It was a questionable hit and if it had happened to my QB (like it did last year) I would proably watch it a million times and sometimes see it as avoidable (like Gamble's hit on C-Pep).
I think they are whining ... and think that had he stayed in we still when the game ... but it is not that big of a deal or unexpected ... it'll blow over.

Caine
10-24-2006, 03:44 AM
I couldn't believe the FOX announcers during the game.
They kept trying to make it into an intentional thing.
Finally, after several replays, they HAD to admit it was purely accidental.

Hasselbeck is crying a river because he - mistakenly - thinks we were afraid of him.
Ummmm, Matt?
You were 7/17 for only 127 yards.
We were shutting you down!!!!
Had you continued on, you were on pace for 14/34 and 254 yards.
That might have gone up, since Wallace threw 25 passes...because we'd already stuffed the run.

In my completely honest opinion, I don't believe E.J. even knew Matt was there.
He took a shove from Stone while he was falling and rolled into Hasselbeck accidentally.

Seattle can cry all they want....after all, it's something they've gotten real good at.

Caine

digital420
10-24-2006, 04:07 AM
I watched the video over and over last nite with a friend here.

his interpatation.

"Ej was coming strong around the blocker, was doing as he should be and focusing on reaching the QB. After Hassel threw the pass Ej was knocked down, that part in itself had the pass not gone could have been an illegeal block, but as the pass went it was a non penelty"

My reaction
"Ej had his eyes on hassel the whole way, he was going there. when he rolled he was looking at the ground and reacting to being pushed downward. He never even saw Hassel's legs, nor where he was gonna fall into. He did roll a bit, but have you ever been pushed to the gound and just plopped down? inertia.. a body in motion tends to stay in motion."

this is gonna cause though every team we face to give EXTRA attention to protecting their QB..

DiGiTaL

x-ray jeff
10-24-2006, 04:17 AM
Well at least the Vikings are not on FOX this week.I sure hope no defenders get blocked into Brady this Sunday ;) I hope they all land on him with malice and aforethought ;D

AngloVike
10-24-2006, 04:40 AM
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/1908/walrus1dd4.jpg

moan, moan , moan

Prophet
10-24-2006, 06:50 AM
But video doesn't lie;

It was not intentional.
If the NFL doles out a fine for that hit, the Walrus is sleeping with someone on the NFL board.

Del Rio
10-24-2006, 06:57 AM
He didn't even really "roll" onto his leg. I don't know what footage people were seeing but it wasn't game film.

The sad thing is even if Hasselbeck stays in the game we still whoop that ass.

I don't really care if our team gets labeled as cheap and dirty. We shut teams down that is what we do. No more then 19 points have been scored on us by any team this season. We do not need to hurt you, but we are going to be flying around you and laying the smack down. If you get hurt in the process too bad so sad.

cogitans
10-24-2006, 07:25 AM
The sad thing is that people will try to use it as an 'excuse' of why we beat the Seahawks.

But maybe that is not a bad thing after all. I have no problem if teams keep underestimating the Vikings.

I've heard people questioning all our wins except the Carolina one. Portis were not well in the first one, the Lions are not good, and the Seahawks missed Alexander and Hasselbeck.

Prophet
10-24-2006, 07:41 AM
A similar take from SI:

SI Article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/10/23/hasselback.ap/index.html)

cogitans
10-24-2006, 07:48 AM
"Acumen" wrote:

A similar take from SI:

SI Article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/10/23/hasselback.ap/index.html)

That's pretty much just the quotes from the persons involved. There is no judgement in there one way or the other.

Del Rio
10-24-2006, 07:50 AM
"If Brad Johnson is the quarterback on that play, I guarantee nobody touches his knee," Hasselbeck said

I agree with him, if it was Brad Johnson he would have been smart enough to move. Every football player knows the play is not over until the whistle blows. Even if you are a QB and you throw the ball there are still guys battling right by you.

Prophet
10-24-2006, 07:56 AM
"Del" wrote:

"If Brad Johnson is the quarterback on that play, I guarantee nobody touches his knee," Hasselbeck said

I agree with him, if it was Brad Johnson he would have been smart enough to move. Every football player knows the play is not over until the whistle blows. Even if you are a QB and you throw the ball there are still guys battling right by you.

I had no clue what he meant by that quote.
I agree though, BJ would have moved in that situation.
I cringe thinking of him getting hurt.
Bollinger.
Ouch.

cogitans
10-24-2006, 08:00 AM
"Acumen" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

Bollinger.
Ouch.

Isn't he just saying: Vikings players are brute bastards, but the Seahawks defenders plays like angels out there.
:'(

Del Rio
10-24-2006, 08:13 AM
"cogitans" wrote:

"Acumen" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

Bollinger.
Ouch.

Isn't he just saying: Vikings players are brute bastards, but the Seahawks defenders plays like angels out there.

That's pretty much what he is saying IMO. And Fox sports is pretty much saying, the Vikings had to hurt Matty or else they would have lost, and their fans are saying but but but we NEVER lose at home...............

I do remember when Culpepper got his knee shredded there were many here that called it a cheap shot and were very upset for a long time. Different situation I know, but the play wasn't flagged and the guy wasn't fined. It is football and it sucks when your guy goes down, but it happens.

ejmat
10-24-2006, 08:24 AM
I didn't read the article and I didn't go back and read everyone's post.
But I will comment on the post.
EJ didn't cheap shot Hasselbeck's knee.
He was pushed into him by Mack Strong.
If anyone should be blamed it should be Strong for the non called penalty of blocking in the back and pushing EH into his "star QB"

cogitans
10-24-2006, 08:24 AM
"Del" wrote:

"cogitans" wrote:

"Acumen" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

Bollinger.
Ouch.

That's pretty much what he is saying IMO. And Fox sports is pretty much saying, the Vikings had to hurt Matty or else they would have lost, and their fans are saying but but but we NEVER lose at home...............

I do remember when Culpepper got his knee shredded there were many here that called it a cheap shot and were very upset for a long time. Different situation I know, but the play wasn't flagged and the guy wasn't fined. It is football and it sucks when your guy goes down, but it happens.

Well I wern't a member here back when Pep went down.

But I guess it's understandable for fans to feel frustrated when their no. 1 QB goes down. What I don't understand is the media calling it for what it is, an accident.

And what I don't like is that they try taking something away from our team, instead of recognizing that they played well. Luckily I know we played a good game, and then they can think what they want to about us.

digital420
10-24-2006, 08:44 AM
"Acumen" wrote:

A similar take from SI:

had that been B.j the defender woulda gotten pushed AWAY from him.. Hassle was hassled all nite (well nite for me) I bet he was just sick of being hit and took the injury.

DiGiTaL

JDogg926
10-24-2006, 08:46 AM
GRRRRR!!!!!!

It was pretty obvious EJ was blocked into him.
I can't believe that crap.

Also, Culpepper wasn't hit on a cheap shot last year, it was ugly but it was a clean, legal, unintentional hit.

A cheap shot, was Kimo Von Olhoeffen of the Squealers rolling up Palmer's leg.
EJ didn't roll up Hasselbeck's leg, he was simply blocked into him, he didn't even have a chance to roll up his leg.

Prophet
10-24-2006, 08:47 AM
"Del" wrote:

Click here (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=150&topic=15266.0) for a thread that was started when the speculation of Culpepper's injury was going down.
I know there are dozens of threads on the topic, but here's one just for the fun of it.

skum
10-24-2006, 09:01 AM
"JDogg926" wrote:

GRRRRR!!!!!!

It was pretty obvious EJ was blocked into him.
I can't believe that crap.

Also, Culpepper wasn't hit on a cheap shot last year, it was ugly but it was a clean, legal, unintentional hit.

A cheap shot, was Kimo Von Olhoeffen of the Squealers rolling up Palmer's leg.
EJ didn't roll up Hasselbeck's leg, he was simply blocked into him, he didn't even have a chance to roll up his leg.

Von Olfhoeffen was clearly not a cheapshot, he also got blocked into Palmer, and i remember seing Kimo pumping his fist to the ground and really sorry that he had hit him..

Just the medias way of finding a way to hating on the Vikings now that we have started our new disciplin regime!

COJOMAY
10-24-2006, 09:45 AM
I'm sure the NFL is looking at the game film carefully. If there is no fine and no report of EJ tring to do it, the whole things will get forgotten.

Prophet
10-24-2006, 09:47 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

I'm sure the NFL is looking at the game film carefully. If there is no fine and no report of EJ tring to do it, the whole things will get forgotten.

It won't be forgotten by the Walrus and the Seachicken faithful.
They got double burned on the poison pill debacle and the Vikings came into their house and owned them.
The Walrus has already had a lot of sleepless nights due to Hutchinson leaving and he will continue to have them while he struggles in the NFC this year.

snowinapril
10-24-2006, 09:57 AM
"Acumen" wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

It won't be forgotten by the Walrus and the Seachicken faithful.
They got double burned on the poison pill debacle and the Vikings came into their house and owned them.
The Walrus has already had a lot of sleepless nights due to Hutchinson leaving and he will continue to have them while he struggles in the NFC this year.

Lighten up Francis, as Sargeant Hulka said once.

Be upset with your management for not Franchising Hutch and at Morris for not being a good blocker.

As far as the Hasselbeck injury, that is a football injury.
It is part of the game.
I don't like seeing any player get hurt, but it happens.

Sportcenter was the only station that was saying EJ was "pushed."
Everyone else words it as EJ "rolled" onto
Matt.

cajunvike
10-24-2006, 10:06 AM
WHATEVER!!!!

Pusselbeck just needs to STFU!!!!

Freya
10-24-2006, 10:07 AM
Henderson was falling after being pushed and Hasselbeck wasn't paying attention. IMO.

nephilimstorm
10-24-2006, 10:42 AM
That was no cheap shot. That was an unelusive hit and hasselback wasn't paing attention so I agree with Freya

Mr Anderson
10-24-2006, 10:44 AM
Oh jesus christ.

He got pushed by the RB who picked him up on the blitz, his body was moving sideways, and he was looking downfield, there is no way he even knew Hasselbeck was there, even after he hit him it seemed like he didnt know or care.

It's just another way the media is trying to make the Vikings look bad, even after a dominating victory over the NFC champions.

Vikes
10-24-2006, 11:01 AM
Stupid comment. This just proves they don't watch film.

ChezPizmo
10-24-2006, 11:36 AM
"NodakAttack" wrote:

Even if EJ could've physically stopped his body from the continued roll, he wouldn't necessarily known he was about to hit Hasselback.
That is the way it goes.

I believe it was the FB. Or atleast that's what I heard from a commentator on some highlights.

singersp
10-25-2006, 06:21 AM
Defending E.J. Henderson (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/10/vikings-henderson-hasselbeck251006.html)

By Eric Krupka on October 25, 2006 12:27 AM

As most of the football world knows, Seattle Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck was injured in the third quarter of Sunday's 31-13 loss to the Minnesota Vikings . He sustained a grade II sprain of the medial collateral ligament in his right knee, which is expected to keep him out for at least three weeks.

Hasselbeck thinks that Vikings linebacker E.J. Henderson intentionally injured him. He claims that not only was the hit dirty, but that the Seahawks' defense would never have delivered a similar shot to Vikings quarterback Brad Johnson.

After the game a visibly upset Hasselbeck said, "I'm sure he [Henderson] didn't try to put me out for a long period of time. But they didn't want me to finish the game, either."

Is the signal caller out of his mind, or what?

He went on to say, "I don't think it was unavoidable, but only he would know. Who knows? He does."

Pretty harsh words for a clean hit. Let me say that again, a clean hit. After the game, Henderson denied trying to injure the star quarterback.

Hasselbeck even compared the play to the devastating injury suffered by Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer in last year's playoffs, when he took a similar hit to the leg from then-Steelers defensive lineman Kimo von Oelhoffen.

"You look at the play with Carson Palmer last year and you look at E.J. Henderson and me this past week. Hey, whatever," said Hasselbeck.

Just insinuating the hit was a cheap shot is bad enough. Then again, when you get hurt and your team loses, the only thing to do is look for excuses, right?

The fact is, after looking at the replay numerous times, one can see that the Vikings' linebacker, while running full speed, was pushed from behind by Seahawks fullback Mack Strong, knocking the defender to the ground and subsequently into Hasselbeck.

Maybe you should check out the footage again, Matt, before staking false claims. It's unfortunate that you were injured, but let's be honest with ourselves. The Vikings and E.J. Henderson had no intent to hurt you. Accidents happen, and injuries are a part of sports, especially football.

After the game, the only talk surrounding Henderson was about the roll into Hasselbeck. It's sad, because the complaining by the Seahawks' quarterback has clouded a tremendous performance by the Vikings' fourth-year linebacker.

Henderson led all Vikings defenders with nine tackles, all solo, and notched his second interception of the season, and second in two games. Unfortunately, if you didn't see the game, you wouldn't know this.

The 'backer played one of his best all-around games as a pro -- flying all over the field, stout in the run game and strong in pass coverage.

So, was the roll into the legs intentional?

Absolutely not.

However, Matt Hasselbeck would like you to think otherwise.

Just don't believe him.

-Eric Krupka is a senior writer for RealFootball365.com. He can be reached at ekrupka@realfootball365.com

Get more Minnesota Vikings insights at RealFootball365.com

Click here to "Post A Comment" @ realfootball365.com (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/10/vikings-henderson-hasselbeck251006.html)

singersp
10-25-2006, 06:53 AM
Henderson tells his side: 'I was pushed' (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/15840750.htm)

Linebacker upset by Hasselbeck's accusations

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

Posted on Wed, Oct. 25, 2006

ejmat
10-25-2006, 09:26 AM
"ChezPizmo" wrote:

"NodakAttack" wrote:

That is the way it goes.

I believe it was the FB. Or atleast that's what I heard from a commentator on some highlights.

It was definately Mack Strong

ejmat
10-25-2006, 09:28 AM
"ChezPizmo" wrote:

"NodakAttack" wrote:

That is the way it goes.

It was 100% Mack Strong the FB.

NodakPaul
10-25-2006, 09:57 AM
They stalked about this on ESPN last night.
All three analysits, when asked if they thought the hit was dirty or avoidable, said absolutely not.
The only people who think the hit was dirty are Seattle fans and players.
They are quickly turning into the crybabies of the NFL.

Waaah, we lost the superbowl - it was the ref's fault.
Waahh, we lost our starting QB - it was a dirty hit. Waaaaah.

Freya
10-25-2006, 10:28 AM
I don't blame Henderson for being upset. I would be livid.
This is a non-issue. Get over it, Seattle.