PDA

View Full Version : Great Article With Some Good Points

Marrdro
10-20-2006, 12:16 PM
http://vikings.kfan.com/sports/nflguide/local/story.aspx?content_id=C80E22AB-6ACF-49F3-A741-0B8FEFF2F8B2

Thought this article kindof put together some great points about the team that were correct/incorrect in some other threads/discussions.

cajunvike
10-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Interesting spin on the Smoot saga!

slavinator
10-20-2006, 01:03 PM
Good read.......

I think that there are alot of valid points here.
One thing I would like to see is Bethel Johnson step in and push some of the guys on the WR Corps.
McMullen has come up big when we have needed him as well.
We need to shake it up a bit to see if we can get a little competitive fire amongst the receivers.
Competition will push each of them to do better and with that we could see the offense pick up their pace a bit.

NodakPaul
10-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Good read.
My personal favorite excerpt:

This offense calls for its wide receivers to make plays after the catch and they simply have not done that. Is that an indictment on the play calling? No, as usual it has to do with the players on the field executing. That’s what’s been lacking more than anything on offense, an ability to execute on a consistent basis.

Marrdro
10-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Was it just me or did the Wide Recievers produce more AFTER T-Will went out.
Bethel looked good on Kick Returns along with Mewelde.

Prophet
10-23-2006, 09:49 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

I had the same impression.
T-will has been very disappointing.
He dropped the pass on the TKO play too....pre-injury.
How many chances does this guy get?
So far, he cannot be depended on to catch a ball.

tastywaves
10-23-2006, 10:03 AM
"Acumen" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

I don't know if I would put that missed catch on T-Will.
If you watch that play closely, T-Will has to slow up to let the ball catch up to him giving the corner and the safety time to meet him when the ball arrives.
Looks like the safety punches the ball out and leaves T-Will to get schlaberknockered.
The ball goes deeper and you have a touchdown
IMO.

Prophet
10-23-2006, 10:06 AM
"tastywaves" wrote:

"Acumen" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

I don't know if I would put that missed catch on T-Will.
If you watch that play closely, T-Will has to slow up to let the ball catch up to him giving the corner and the safety time to meet him when the ball arrives.
Looks like the safety punches the ball out and leaves T-Will to get schlaberknockered.
The ball goes deeper and you have a touchdown
IMO.

You can interpret it many ways.
If he wants to rise to the #1 WR he needs to catch balls that are thrown within his grasp.
He does not do that with any consistency.
I sure hope he begins to, when?

Garland Greene
10-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Its good to see someone from the media talk about Smoot and his play this year. I think he has done a great job. With the exception of DJacks TD we really have not been burned for a long pass play this year. Our Defense has done abopve and beyond expectations. And the 2 people that were the most trashed last year, Nap Harris aned Smoot are 2 of the better players on or Defense this year

Del Rio
10-23-2006, 10:15 AM
I do not know how anyone can be singled out for coverage in a zone defense. If you're covering a portion of field that is different then one on one.

I think the biggest concern with Smoot is his stupid penalties, his poor tackling, and over all his lack of playmaking.

I have said it before, there are 11 people on defense and our D has not allowed more then 19 points all season. If Fred Smoot is contributing to that in any shape or form and we continue to have those kinds of performances then I can't cry about that at all.

tastywaves
10-23-2006, 10:26 AM
Smoot could definitely learn a thing or two about how to stick your shoulder into a tackle.
He looks like he is just launching his body at people, closing his eyes, and hoping something good happens.
His head is usually down as you pointed out earlier making him very vulnerable to injuries.
Don't know if he is afraid of contact or just missed basic tackling 101.
Gotta believe he has had plenty of instruction just a bit uneasy with the impact.

Get AW or even Cedric to show him how to attack a tackle correctly and he might even enjoy it.
Hurts a hell of a lot less when you go after it with aggression vs. letting the ball carrier come at you.

grpape
10-24-2006, 02:58 AM
He can takle when he wants too. He had some good takles against the Redskins. I think this is the perfect soap opera just building up for that one final big play we need on D. Guess who comes up big? I'm not beliving it, but that would really make me laugh.

digital420
10-24-2006, 04:06 AM
"Del" wrote:

I have said it before, there are 11 people on defense and our D has not allowed more then 19 points all season. If Fred Smoot is contributing to that in any shape or form and we continue to have those kinds of performances then I can't cry about that at all.

This is what i've tried to get across many times when i see people bashin smoot. his play is VASTLY improved, but not just him.. the 11 guys who make up the playing D have come under one Coach who seems to want to hit, stuff, and make the plays to help this team win.

Tomlin has the guys flying.. watch the seachickens O stances.. each time someone was tackled there were 3 white jearseys on on the ball carrier.. be it the QB, the RB, or anyone else unlucky enouf to get their # called.

We really only gave up 1 big play.. the rest of the passing (and i say passing cause their run like everyone elses who's gone against us went no-where) was small shots here and there cause that's ALL our D left open.

I would rather have our guys following Tomlins plans, schema's, and his vision of the D.. then have them play shut down corner (or other spot) based on individ talent.
The D is everywhere.. our run stoppers are Amazing, our saftey's are ballhawking hitters. our cb's rarely let anyone past them, and our Lb's are coming on STRONG!!

As for the WR's and the lack of production.. well we've had production, just not scoring.. now it seems that as long as B.chill keeps shoving C.t down the throats of apposing D's it'll spread out the middle of the field, and with the play ability of B.j.. we'll see more scroing, and with the way our D is playing.. all we need is at least 4 scoring plays per game of any mixture. (well @ least one TD)

I would like to see more YAC, but we have a long way to go yet, it's 7 weeks in.. and there's 9 more to go. there's def time for the O to pick up the pace.

DiGiTaL