PDA

View Full Version : Just A Thought

Marrdro
10-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Overall, I am pretty happy with the new organization and its approach to this year and the future with one exception.

It is pretty evident to me that the organization has failed to give Brad a raise or a long term contract because this will be his last year and Tavaris will be behind the Center next year.

If in fact this is the case then why not go ahead and let Tavaris get the experience this year.
I know it would probably mean an increased possiblility of a loosing season but it sure would be fun to watch him add the additional threat of a running/mobile QB to our offense.

This could have some secondary benifits (i.e. could buy a bit more time for the recievers as well as help the running game a bit) that could help our offense get going a bit.

Of course the recievers would have to hold onto the ball for this plan to work
;D

By him gettting game time experience this year, along with drafting some O-line help as well as a reciever who can catch the ball in next years draft and add some depth at the other positions (i.e. LB, RB) we should have a formidable team on the field next year.

THOUGHTS.

JDogg926
10-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Are you serious???

We're 3-2 right now, and have a legitimate chance of earning a playoff spot.
Why put that in jeopardy???
Besides, I think Brad Johnson is likely to be our starter this year and next.

I have a feeling we come out of this bye week, clicking, firing on all cylinders, the offense and the defense playing solid football.

NodakPaul
10-12-2006, 12:56 PM
Putting a rookie QB into the game before he is ready can have long lasting negative effects on the QB.
TJ needs to be brought into the system and the pace of the game before he is thrown into the wolves.

He will be put in soon enough, don't worry.
Just not this year.

Del Rio
10-12-2006, 01:03 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Overall, I am pretty happy with the new organization and its approach to this year and the future with one exception.

It is pretty evident to me that the organization has failed to give Brad a raise or a long term contract because this will be his last year and Tavaris will be behind the Center next year.

If in fact this is the case then why not go ahead and let Tavaris get the experience this year.
I know it would probably mean an increased possiblility of a loosing season but it sure would be fun to watch him add the additional threat of a running/mobile QB to our offense.

This could have some secondary benifits (i.e. could buy a bit more time for the recievers as well as help the running game a bit) that could help our offense get going a bit.

;D

By him gettting game time experience this year, along with drafting some O-line help as well as a reciever who can catch the ball in next years draft and add some depth at the other positions (i.e. LB, RB) we should have a formidable team on the field next year.

THOUGHTS.

I have a feeling you are correct about the money deal. I think Brad Johnson is just going to be here this year. I do not see Childress putting T-Jack in and in reality I am not even sure if he is our future.

They may have their eyes set on Matt Schuab or some other free agent next year. I do think your right about the contract thing though.

Marrdro
10-12-2006, 01:04 PM
"JDogg926" wrote:

Are you serious???

I have a feeling we come out of this bye week, clicking, firing on all cylinders, the offense and the defense playing solid football.

Didn't say right now, only if things go south over the next 2 or 3 games.
As for rookie playing rookie QB's before they are ready, there are lots of QBs that went in before they were ready.
To many to mention.
If he is going to be good it won't affect him.

Again, not a proponent of change no just to change but rather a topic of discussion.
Better that Turd discussions. ;D

spikecyrus
10-12-2006, 01:06 PM
are you out of your skull! I think you hit the wrong vein. Clean performances by Johnson will coast the Vikes into the playoffs.

Del Rio
10-12-2006, 01:16 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"JDogg926" wrote:

Are you serious???

As for rookie playing rookie QB's before they are ready, there are lots of QBs that went in before they were ready.
To many to mention.

Again, not a proponent of change no just to change but rather a topic of discussion.

There are also a vast majority of HOF QB's that were 2nd stringers before they took the reigns. The idea of well if he is good he will play good regardless is not true. Some guys can step up and handle it some can not. Are you willing to let his fuck up for 2 years to see if he can learn? Or would you rather him get all the plays all the looks down pat and then be integrated into the system and see if he can play?

cajunvike
10-12-2006, 01:16 PM
I'll pass on that suggestion...mainly because it would be giving up on this season.
Now if we end up out of the playoff race (which I don't think will happen), then go ahead and start TJ.
BUT until that happens, BJ gives us the best chance to win.
Heck, a few plays the right way and we are 5-0...of course, a few plays the wrong way and we are 0-5!

What the Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans did with the development of Steve McNair is a prime example of the right thing to do.
They sat McNair for TWO whole seasons and let Chris Chandler (a veteran QB that also took his team to a Super Bowl...albeit a losing effort) run the team during that time.
By the time that McNair was ready, he jumped in and was ready to roll...taking his team to the brink of a Super Bowl victory against the Rams.
We should wait as long as possible...giving TJ the most preparation before throwing him to the wolves.
To do otherwise would be a huge gamble on our future!

I welcome the debate on this topic, though, Marrdro!

Del Rio
10-12-2006, 01:21 PM
The problem is we are in the NFC, we won't be out of the playoff race until the last game of the season.

whackthepack
10-12-2006, 01:28 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"JDogg926" wrote:

Are you serious???

To many to mention.

Look at Eli Manning and Phil Rivers drafted same year.

Eli was starting his rookie year by week 9, and he was making mistake after mistake and was getting killed!
He learned but he learned the hard way and he was taking a beating from the press and fans and I seriously think he was close to folding a few different times.

Philip Rivers learned from the bench for a few years and finally got a chance to start his 3rd year, and has looked poised and ready to take over the reigns and lead a team.

Jeff George brought in to start as a rookie and I think it broke him and he never developed into the QB he should have been because of it!
I think you need to develop a QB for a few years before he gets thrown into a starting role and preseason is great but it's not the same as regular season and teams don't run blitzes and stunts as much as they run in regular season and if you aren't ready you can have your confidence stripped from you really really quick.

Prophet
10-12-2006, 01:33 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

;D

THOUGHTS.

Why is this in the two beer forum?
You should have at least put a few scantily clad women within the post.

It's refreshing to see the same argument put into a reasonable context rather than 'Get rid of BJ'-type thread.
I see your logic and partially agree with it, but like others have said, Tarvaris is still too green.
Also, the Vikings' season is far from over.
The only way Tarvaris goes in this season is if BJ gets hurt, or possibly, toward the end of the season if the Vikings playoff chances are over and Childress thinks he's ready to be put in there without having detrimental effects on his development.

Many of us have high hopes for Tarvaris, but we really have nothing to judge his potential success on.
He could be the future QB or he could be on the NFLE/CFL route in his career.
There's no way to know right now.
Based on past NFL QBs we can be fairly certain that he is not ready yet unless he is an anomoly.

I like your BJ raise theory.
I was thinking all along, and still am thinking, that he will get a raise before the season ends if they make the decision to keep him next year.
I seriously doubt they will throw him out of the mix and only have Bollinger and Tarvaris as the top two QBs though.
If BJ stinks it up this season I wouldn't be surprised if another veteran is picked up somewhere this coming offseason for insurance purposes to become the new interim while Tarvaris is groomed.
If you made this point next year at this point of the season and we had similar results as this season I would be more for the 'start Tarvaris' chants.
At this time it doesn't make sense.

Obviously Childress thinks Tarvaris has the potential to be the man since he moved up and grabbed him in the second.
I'm excited to see what he can do, when the time is right.

VikingDawg
10-12-2006, 01:37 PM
I wouldn't put TJ in this year...unless...UNLESS the season really goes south, then only just a few snaps at the end of a game...I mean like south, like we don't win any more games...and I don't see that happening.
Also, TJ just had some minor knee surgery...if he were in there and took a hit that really hurt his knee...people would be calling for the coaches heads.

Marrdro
10-12-2006, 01:44 PM
"VikingDawg" wrote:

I wouldn't put TJ in this year...unless...UNLESS the season really goes south, then only just a few snaps at the end of a game...I mean like south, like we don't win any more games...and I don't see that happening.
Also, TJ just had some minor knee surgery...if he were in there and took a hit that really hurt his knee...people would be calling for the coaches heads.

I agree with the UNLESS.
That is why I said, 2 to 3 games.
His knee should be healed by then and we should know were our season is going.
Better to find out this year if he has the goods rather than next year when we need him.

Del Rio
10-12-2006, 01:53 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"VikingDawg" wrote:

I agree with the UNLESS.
That is why I said, 2 to 3 games.
His knee should be healed by then and we should know were our season is going.
Better to find out this year if he has the goods rather than next year when we need him.

That's just the thing, he may very well have the goods, but you may not see that this year. We could go 8-8 and still make the playoffs so 2-3 games is not enough to throw in the towel.

The Dropper
10-12-2006, 01:55 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"JDogg926" wrote:

Are you serious???

To many to mention.

You're wrong. There is nothing better than turd discussions.

Marrdro
10-12-2006, 02:18 PM
"The" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"JDogg926" wrote:

Are you serious???

To many to mention.

Farts yes, Turds no

Del Rio
10-12-2006, 02:19 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"The" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"JDogg926" wrote:

Are you serious???

To many to mention.

Farts yes, Turds no

WTF that's like dating a mormon cheerleader. I will discuss farts but no turds......its bullshit!

Prophet
10-12-2006, 02:20 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"The" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"JDogg926" wrote:

Are you serious???

To many to mention.

Farts yes, Turds no

Turds, yes. (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=150&topic=16538.0)

singersp
10-12-2006, 09:07 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

Why is this in the two beer forum?
You should have at least put a few scantily clad women within the post.

Perhaps he thought he would get two free beers as a reward if he posted it in this forum.....

or he had two beers before he started this thread.

sleepagent
10-12-2006, 09:17 PM
Ya . . . and look at Ben Rothlesburger (okay bad example) . . . Let's see here . . . Oh, how about Daunte Culpeper.
He rode the pine for a season and look at the success he's had from watching and learning.
;D

Anyway, every QB is different but from what I've heard, TJ needs work and its best to let him watch and learn.
Maybe they can put him in some games that are out of hand, but then again . . . that ain't gonna happen based on the first 5 games!

JDogg926
10-13-2006, 11:43 AM
The only way this would make logical sense, is if BJ plays terribly, I mean downright horrible over the next few games, and somehow we end up at
with a record of like 3-6.
Even if we end up at that record, chances are it won't be due to BJ turning the ball over or making bad decisions.
We've got a couple tough games coming out of the bye, but with the way our defense is playing lately, we should be able to get going on a roll.

Billy Boy
10-13-2006, 12:06 PM
Ha...I have 2 propositions...

How bout we put Tarvaris (man I like sayign that name) in, let him get some hands on NFL experience with no pressure to succeed and throw the season.
Aquire a high draft pick and draft a WR.
Two birds with one stone.

Or we could give BJ bull hormones and have have him lift some plates so he can throw bullets and win us our first superbowl.

Del Rio
10-13-2006, 12:13 PM
"Billy" wrote:

How bout we put Tarvaris (man I like sayign that name) in, let him get some hands on NFL experience with no pressure to succeed and throw the season.

Or we could give BJ bull hormones and have have him lift some plates so he can throw bullets and win us our first superbowl.

Or we could play good team football and win our first superbowl using the same arm that he used to win his first superbowl.

marcosMN
10-13-2006, 12:19 PM
"Del" wrote:

"Billy" wrote:

Or we could play good team football and win our first superbowl using the same arm that he used to win his first superbowl.

My thoughts exactly. I still don't understand why everyone is so down on Brad. Yes, our offense could stand to be more productive... But that doesn't all have to fall on B.J.

If anything it should fall on B.C. and the offensive coaching staff.

cajunvike
10-13-2006, 12:45 PM
OR we could inject Brad with some Fran Tarkenton genes and let him loose!

*the old MNF halftime highlights theme playing in the background*

I can hear old Howard Cosell now... "Sir Brad drops back, he looks left, he looks right, he looks deep...it's TWill running down the sideline...the pass is up...he grabs it..TOUCHDOWN!
Sir Brad delivers the knockout punch like he was Muhammad Ali !!!"

LOL

Braddock
10-13-2006, 01:29 PM
Or we could put T-Jack into the first series, since it's scripted anyways, and then take him out and put BJ in for the rest of the game...eh? eh???

:)

Ltrey33
10-13-2006, 01:39 PM
"Del" wrote:

"Billy" wrote:

Holy crap, what a thought.

Del Rio
10-13-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm trying to figure out when the NFL became the NBA and when it stopped being a team sport.

Billy Boy
10-13-2006, 05:11 PM
"Braddock" wrote:

Or we could put T-Jack into the first series, since it's scripted anyways, and then take him out and put BJ in for the rest of the game...eh? eh???

:)

That is actually quite an ingenious idea.
Seriously kinda a interesting little experiment.

By the way take most of what a say with a grain of salt.
I dont use those smileys and whatnot.

I completely have faith in Brad.
To critics...atleast give a few more games or so.
But maybe Brad should take constructive critisism and try and do something about his arm strength.

JDogg926
10-17-2006, 12:26 PM
Okay.
I think I came up with the perfect solution.
We should all drink as much beer as possible (at least those of us that can do so legally), and yell at the TV and drown our sorrows in a beer when the Vike's make a bad play, and celebrate each TD, Sack, INT, etc. by downing another beer.

Man, I'm a genius!

Freakout
10-17-2006, 01:32 PM
"Del" wrote:

"Billy" wrote:

But is it really the same arm?
That was what, 5 years ago?

Del Rio
10-17-2006, 01:35 PM
"Freakout" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"Billy" wrote:

The stats are similar. That's about all I can go off of. Last time I was licking Brad's ass I didn't get a good look at the shape of his arm.

Point being team football wins games. As shown year after year at all levels.

cajunvike
10-17-2006, 02:18 PM
"Del" wrote:

"Freakout" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"Billy" wrote:

The stats are similar. That's about all I can go off of. Last time I was licking Brad's jiggly butt I didn't get a good look at the shape of his arm.

Did you clean his taint as well, Del???
:D

ultravikingfan
10-17-2006, 03:33 PM
"Del" wrote:

"Freakout" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"Billy" wrote:

The stats are similar. That's about all I can go off of. Last time I was licking Brad's jiggly butt I didn't get a good look at the shape of his arm.

Del, did you get flagged for being in that zone?

Del Rio
10-17-2006, 03:38 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"Freakout" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"Billy" wrote:

Del, did you get flagged for being in that zone?

It's a well known fact I am a Brad Johnson apologist and ass kisser so no neutral zone infraction there.

Marrdro
10-18-2006, 10:38 AM
"Freakout" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"Billy" wrote:

Back in town.
Sorry to start this and then leave (went bow hunting with my son).

Sorry to post in wrong forum.
Won't let it happen again
::)

I am not a Brad Basher.
I like him and think he is the right guy now for the team, HOWEVER, if we loose enough to get us out of the playoff picture then I just think we need to see what Tavaris can do (i.e. Titans/Cards).

Brad doesn't have the same arm he did when he won the super bowl with Tampa and as documented in a couple of news articles last week, it appears he is checking down to soon and not letting the deeper passes develop.

Is that because he doesn't trust the line or is it because he doesn't trust the recievers?
Not sure.

Lets see what happens in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

Del Rio
10-18-2006, 10:42 AM
How can you say Brad doesn't have the same arm? Divine inspiration?

Prophet
10-18-2006, 10:45 AM
"Del" wrote:

How can you say Brad doesn't have the same arm? Divine inspiration?

Yes.

Del Rio
10-18-2006, 10:48 AM
If he plays all 16 games the exact same way as he is now he finishes with about 100 yards less passing then he did in 2003 when he was QB of the Bucs.

It's a team sport folks. Best football is played by a team as a whole and it wins championships.

As far as the thought nothing wrong with thinking about ways to win more games and help our future I just dont see it happening like I said 8-8 can get you in, so it will be a race down to the end no matter what. Tavaris is 3rd string anyway.

Prophet
10-18-2006, 11:03 AM
If you just look at BJ's stats from last year compared to this year it's kind of interesting.

2005:
294 att 184 comp 62.6 Pct 1885 yds 6.41 YPA 12 TDs 4 Int

2006:
170 att 107 comp 62.9 Pct 1128 yds 6.64 YPA 3 TDs 4 Int

Once the TD/Int ratio improves he's on pace to do much better in an equivalent amount of games.

Del Rio
11-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Bumped to the surface per request

Marrdro
11-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Thanks Del,

Just wanted to dig this up again to go over some points knowing what we know now.

Is it time to put in TJ if his knee is better?
Is he a better fit for Brad C's offense.
I for one think it is worth it to put him in to maybe add some spark to the team as well as see what we have for the future (i.e. next year).

I guess the aurgument at hand is centered on game time decision making and possibly some harm to his physicy (sp).

Additionally, I still think we can make the playoffs IF and a big IF our offense can get it going.

Again, I ask for thoughts.

OchoCinco
11-20-2006, 10:57 AM
I don't think this is gonna get fixed without a philosophy change.
I think the coaches have failed in game planning, and I think Childress needs to spend a little less time staring at that stupid play card and a little more time paying attention to the game. He is one of the worst coaches for making game adjustments and changes I have ever seen. Of course he is a disciple of one the worst in game adjustment coaches....Andy Reed.
We have become predictable...gee...Memo comes in on 3rd down...time for the 5 yard dunk.... Put Brad in the shotgun...give people a different look.
Teams have begun to go to this spread offense after we stop the run.....MAKE AN ADJUSTMENT!!!!! It's like they don't know what to do.... Joey Harrington pushes two hundred yards passing at halftime.....HALFTIME.....good god adjust!!!
I look at us like Dallas w/ BLedsoe..put in the young kid and the team starts to turn it around... and now their Giant killers.
Turnovers kill...obviously.....I just would feel better if it wasn't an old experienced veteren doing them.

AngloVike
11-20-2006, 11:04 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Thanks Del,

Just wanted to dig this up again to go over some points knowing what we know now.

I for one think it is worth it to put him in to maybe add some spark to the team as well as see what we have for the future (i.e. next year).

I guess the aurgument at hand is centered on game time decision making and possibly some harm to his physicy (sp).

Additionally, I still think we can make the playoffs IF and a big IF our offense can get it going.

well there is an issue with how it might affect his psyche - there is also the matter regarding his knee. We've seen what happens when players try to come back too soon. Even TJ's wasn't serious surgery it was nevertheless needed, so I'd rather he was completely comfortable with it and not even thinking about it. That way he can fully concentrate on his play and not worrying about his knee.

Marrdro
11-20-2006, 11:21 AM
"AngloVike" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Thanks Del,

well there is an issue with how it might affect his psyche - there is also the matter regarding his knee. We've seen what happens when players try to come back too soon. Even TJ's wasn't serious surgery it was nevertheless needed, so I'd rather he was completely comfortable with it and not even thinking about it. That way he can fully concentrate on his play and not worrying about his knee.

Agree with you on his knee.
I don't live up there anymore however, I have heard through this page, ESPN and other papers that most of the practices are closed.
Has anyone heard of how TJ's knee is other than a brief discussion during one of B-chills press conferences?

Can't say it enough......
If his phsyche is that fragile we might need someone else.
This is my opinion based on my experience as a player (fortunate enough to play the game in high school (1977, 1978, 1979)) and have followed the Vikes my whole life.

Alharrissuks91
11-24-2006, 03:06 PM
Ok so I have talked with some other vikes fans and they have said to draft a wide reciever and a running back. I feel that we need a reciever badly and another running back so Taylor doesn't get to tired. I also feel we need another QB to backup TJ. I also say to start TJ now he may bring us to the playoffs.

skum
11-24-2006, 03:36 PM
We got enough runners.. Memo, Pinner, Fason.. and that new guy out of the Bengals PS.. Also T-Rich will comeback next year..

Wide Reciever or RG/RT

BTW, nice nickname.. i agree :>

T-Jack starts next year.. not this year.. and i think thats the right the season.. (funny as it may sound - i think that brad johnson puts on in the best position to win - as he's better than he's backups)

Mr Anderson
11-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Draft a WR, pick up a lineman in FA.

Leonard Davis or Max Starks in Free Agency to play RT, move Marcus Johnson back to where we drafted him to play guard.

Draft Calvin Johnson if we're in position to pick him, at this rate we should be, but if we actually win another game we should be able to get Dwayne Jarrett.

and start Tarvaris Jackson once we're mathematically eliminated, get him some experience for next season.

CCthebest
11-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Calvin Johnson wont be around when its our turn to pick, unless Childress sells the Vikings soul for the pick, or we dont win another game. Both of which could happen.

I would like to see us draft a tackle. Then Jeff smarzja(or however his name is spelled, from ND). We dont need s streaky star WR we need a possesion guy. Like CC. Great hands, great leaps, great sideline catches.

And BJ is all washed up. Hes almost dead last in QB ratings. Cant blame all of that on a bad oline or WRs. Alot of the teams ahead of him have worse WRs and Oline.

TRAMBIA
11-24-2006, 04:53 PM
how can anyone say he puts us in a better position to win? he puts us in no position to win. all his bad desisions , like throw a 20 yard pass on 4th and 1, it would be different if his pass was close but it is always either 10 yards overthrown out of bounds or 10 yard underthrown and behind the reciever. maybe if his passes were more accurate our sloppy recievers would learn how to catch >:(

Mr Anderson
11-24-2006, 10:42 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

Calvin Johnson wont be around when its our turn to pick, unless Childress sells the Vikings soul for the pick, or we dont win another game. Both of which could happen.

I would like to see us draft a tackle. Then Jeff smarzja(or however his name is spelled, from ND). We dont need s streaky star WR we need a possesion guy. Like CC. Great hands, great leaps, great sideline catches.

And BJ is all washed up. Hes almost dead last in QB ratings. Cant blame all of that on a bad oline or WRs. Alot of the teams ahead of him have worse WRs and Oline.

If you want great hands, great leaps, and great sideline catches you definitely want Calvin Johnson, he's head and shoulders above any WR in this draft class. I'd put Dwayne Jarrett above Smardzija as well, all three of these guys are 6'5 and strong, but Smardzija is far slower than the other two and can't jump with them.

And another reason I'm shaky on Smardzija is he could very well go pro in baseball if something happens to hurt his football career, I remember hearing something about him and the Cubs this past year.

PurplePeopleEaters
11-25-2006, 12:13 AM
"Mr" wrote:

"CCthebest" wrote:

If you want great hands, great leaps, and great sideline catches you definitely want Calvin Johnson, he's head and shoulders above any WR in this draft class. I'd put Dwayne Jarrett above Smardzija as well, all three of these guys are 6'5 and strong, but Smardzija is far slower than the other two and can't jump with them.

And another reason I'm shaky on Smardzija is he could very well go pro in baseball if something happens to hurt his football career, I remember hearing something about him and the Cubs this past year.

He's said before that he will be pulling a Bo Jackson/ Deion Sanders and play both sports. It's more likely that his baseball career will fall out on him too so don't read too much into that whole scenario.

Personally I think that Calvin Johnson is more of a pipe dream. For us it's like the cutler scenario last year. If he falls to 7, trade up to get him. If not, no use. Jarrett is more than likely going to end up being our first round pick if all goes as planned.

Ltrey33
11-25-2006, 01:18 AM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

"Mr" wrote:

"CCthebest" wrote:

He's said before that he will be pulling a Bo Jackson/ Deion Sanders and play both sports. It's more likely that his baseball career will fall out on him too so don't read too much into that whole scenario.

Personally I think that Calvin Johnson is more of a pipe dream. For us it's like the cutler scenario last year. If he falls to 7, trade up to get him. If not, no use. Jarrett is more than likely going to end up being our first round pick if all goes as planned.

I'd like to maybe see Steve Smith too.

Edit: I keep saying Steve Smith, but I mean Dwayne Jarrett. My bad...getting my USC guys mixed up!