PDA

View Full Version : Gopher Hockey starts tonight!

whackthepack
10-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Is this thread just for college football or can we talk college hockey here also?

The Gophers drop the puck on the season tonight against Maine, the team they beat for the National Championship in 2002.

After having one of the best if not the best regular seasons in Gopher hockey history last year the team had a very disappointing post season and finished the year without a WHCA championship or a NCAA championship, and after losing Potulny, Kessell, Irmen and Chucko to the NHL leaves a big ? mark about this years team!
The Gopher's are ranked 2nd to Wisconsin but have some unanswered question about who the leaders of the team will be and what kind of goal production the Gopher fans can expect!

The Gophers will be without their best goalie Briggs in nets tonight because of a 3 game suspension for violating team rules, but I am hopeful that sophomore goalie Frazee can live up to expectations after a troubled freshman year!
He has had a change of attitude and has come into this season in much better shape dropping 20lbs and rededicating himself to excellence, he is the heir apparent to Brigss next season so lets hope he can have that turn around year and live up to expectations!

How the season goes is very up in the air, but I never doubt a Lucia lead Gopher's team!

VKG4LFE
10-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Hold on, the gophers won the WCHA last year! They didn't win the final five tournament, but they did win the conference season title.

I am pumped for another gopher season myself, but they did lose a lot and they are extremely young. Hopefully Briggs can stay out of trouble and lead us to a national title!

BadlandsVikings
10-11-2006, 07:50 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

Is this thread just for college football or can we talk college hockey here also?

The Gophers drop the puck on the season tonight against Maine, the team they beat for the National Championship in 2002.

After having one of the best if not the best regular seasons in Gopher hockey history last year the team had a very disappointing post season and finished the year without a WHCA championship or a NCAA championship, and after losing Potulny, Kessell, Irmen and Chucko to the NHL leaves a big ? mark about this years team!
The Gopher's are ranked 2nd to Wisconsin but have some unanswered question about who the leaders of the team will be and what kind of goal production the Gopher fans can expect!

The Gophers will be without their best goalie Briggs in nets tonight because of a 3 game suspension for violating team rules, but I am hopeful that sophomore goalie Frazee can live up to expectations after a troubled freshman year!
He has had a change of attitude and has come into this season in much better shape dropping 20lbs and rededicating himself to excellence, he is the heir apparent to Brigss next season so lets hope he can have that turn around year and live up to expectations!

How the season goes is very up in the air, but I never doubt a Lucia lead Gopher's team!

GO Sioux!!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/83/FightingSiouxLogo.JPG

PurpleRide
10-11-2006, 07:56 PM
It a young team again, hopefully johnson will stick around more than a year.
They will be in the mix at the end of the year.
They lost some players to the NHL last year but added 3 first round picks this year.
WV are you sure you can say sioux in america anymore?
;D

Go Gophers!

VKG4LFE
10-11-2006, 08:02 PM
"WVV" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

GO Sioux!!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/83/FightingSiouxLogo.JPG

YUCK! They blew it last year against the cheesedicks!

whackthepack
10-12-2006, 11:43 AM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Hold on, the gophers won the WCHA last year! They didn't win the final five tournament, but they did win the conference season title.

I am pumped for another gopher season myself, but they did lose a lot and they are extremely young. Hopefully Briggs can stay out of trouble and lead us to a national title!

They won the regular season, but I guess you missed the part I wrote about them having one of the best regular seasons if not the best regular season in Gopher hockey history, but had a disappointing post season!

They won the regular season WCHA title, but did not win the WCHA championship because that goes to the team that wins the post season tournament.

The Gopher's lost to St. Cloud state.

whackthepack
01-10-2007, 01:23 PM
Since losing their 1st game of the season against Maine 3 months ago the Gopher's have been unstoppable and are on a 22 game unbeaten streak!

Congrats to the guys in Maroon and gold and hope they can keep it up this week when they have to go to Wisconsin.

whackthepack
01-13-2007, 11:55 AM
The unbeaten streak is over the Gopher's hockey team lost to the Wisconsin Badgers last night 2 to 1.

Hopefully we can start a new streak tonight and keep the season rolling along.

WBLVikeBabe
01-14-2007, 03:07 PM
Was just about to start a Gopher hockey thread until I saw this, surprised I hadn't seen it before.
Well at least Wisconsin didn't sweep us I hate Wisconsin!
Too bad we couldn't keep the streak going but last night was a good game.
Wish they could have scored at least one more goal but we still won.
Gophers have to be my favorite team to watch right now with the Vikings season over and the Wild are doing ok, but the Gophs are always fun to watch!
I'm going to try to get tickets for one more game this year but they are hard to come by.

VKG4LFE
01-17-2007, 08:09 PM
Great start to the season so far for our boys! By far the class of college hockey! It is too bad that we had to finally lose and it was to the cheesedicks, but it couldn't have gone on forever. Personally I think our boys were tired having only 14 skaters in Mankato a couple of weeks ago and then all the guys that were playing in the junior tournament or whatever the heck it was, they were a little tired too. Oh well, hopefully we get back on track this weekend against Dever!

whackthepack
01-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Tough loss against Denver in the first game 1 - 0.
Denver's only score came on a power play that was a bad call, the goalie pretended that a Gopher hit him and he fell down and the replay showed that he Gopher didn't even touch the guy and the goalie should have gotten a penalty for taking a dive.

Hopefully tonight's game goes better for the Gophs.

WBLVikeBabe
01-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Well tonight's game definitley did go better!
What an exciting game, it was fast, physical, energetic and intense!
The Gophers should have won by more than they did but Denver really fought back.
It's nice to know that we can't get swept, second split series in a row.
It's nice to have a team that doesn't disappoint!

VKG4LFE
01-21-2007, 11:59 AM
That was a good win for our boys on Saturday night, they needed to win that to keep a cushion on the lead in the WCHA, it doesn't get any easier next weekend against North Dakota at home. Hopefully we get back to sweeping the weekend series, that would really help to pad that lead! Go GOPHS!

whackthepack
01-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Kfan talk show host and college hockey fanatic Jeff Dubay was fired from his Fox Sports North analyst job because he made a comment to the referee from last Saturday's game.

WCHA and Fox may not have liked what Jeff had to say but he was right on the money Anderson (referee) was terrible all weekend and maybe they should worry more about the quality of their officiating than somebody that questions it!

Do they think they are the NFL and nobody can question their organization?

I am and have been a fan of college hockey for years and sad to see Fox and the WCHA responded in this manner.

Maybe Jeff was a bit of zealous with his comments but for the WCHA to force FSN to fire the guy was ridiculous.
Jeff Dubay has promoted college hockey and the WCHA more in the last 9 years than anyone I have seen in Minnesota including Doug Woog or Lou Nanny!

Friday night when Anderson penalized the Gopher's for interference with Denver's goalie and it was obvious to everybody that the goalie took a dive and was untouched by the Gopher's player and Denver scores on the power play and wins the game 1 - 0! Great officiating!
Anderson was behind the player and guessed at what happened!

Saturday's game a Gopher player is knocked down and a Denver player is sitting on his chest and pummeling him and Anderson stands there and watches and then calls the Gopher player for a 5 minute fighting major when all he did was get his butt kicked.
Good officiating!

WBLVikeBabe
01-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Well too bad the Gophs lost to UND last night after being ahead 2-0.
Although they haven't been swept yet this season so hopefully they will win tonight for the split.
Plus I will be there!

mnjamie
01-27-2007, 07:01 PM
GAMES ON !!!!
Screw the Sioux !!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

MaddenVodkaAddict
01-27-2007, 08:38 PM
UND's goalie is a tool.

NDVikingFan66
01-27-2007, 09:40 PM
Sioux Take 2!!!!!

Go Sioux......

And by the way....if the Sioux Goalie is a tool...what does that make the Gopher goalie.....he gave up a 170 foot goal......

MaddenVodkaAddict
01-27-2007, 10:25 PM
I was just referring to the way he swings his arm up across his body after a routine glove save, as Mr. Lapanta said he looked like he wanted to pose for "Sports Illustrated"
;D

NDVikingFan66
01-28-2007, 10:34 AM
As opposed to not stopping a puck from 170 feet on a shorthanded goal?

I don't think he was posing, or doing anything different from any number or other things that go on in the course of a game.
Stick pumping.....high fiving teamates.
To me it looked like momentum that carried his glove across....

Oh well....to each there own

They were great games though

whackthepack
01-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Ugly weekend for the Goph's!

The Goph's have not been playing well for 3 weeks and got destroyed by ND this weekend and my brother in law is a huge Sioux fan I will not hear the end of this tell next season.

whackthepack
02-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Well the Goph's had to travel to Alaska to get healthy!

The Goph's swept the Seawolves this weekend giving them a 7 point lead on St. Cloud State and Denver.
The Goph's won 8 - 2 on Friday and 2 - 1 on Saturday.

The Goph's are off next weekend and hopefully don't lose all the ground the gained this weekend.

VKG4LFE
02-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Well after this weekend the gophers have a four point lead in the standings and as long as they split with both CC and St. Cloud St. the next two weekends, they should have the conference title locked up.....again! Hopefully the week off helped them get re-energized for the home stretch and hopefully a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!

MaddenVodkaAddict
02-16-2007, 08:49 PM
I hate CC.
I'm getting hammered if they get embarassed on their own ice
;D

MaddenVodkaAddict
02-17-2007, 03:53 AM
Mission complete.
Let's do it again tomorrow, shall we not?

whackthepack
02-19-2007, 02:05 PM
The Gophers only have to win of their remaining 4 games to wrap up the McNaughton trophy for the 2nd year in a row.

They have a home and away series against St. Cloud this weekend and then are at home the following weekend against Michigan Tech.

They Gophers should win the WCHA regular season title and should be a # 1 seed in the WCHA & the NCAA tourneys.

Congrats Gophers on another outstanding season and hope that the playoffs go better this year than last.

VKG4LFE
02-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Actually all they have to do is tie St. Cloud and they wrap it up! But for good measure let's just win out this season, including the WCHA and NCAA tourneys!

Let's GO GOPHERS!!!!

whackthepack
02-26-2007, 10:30 AM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Actually all they have to do is tie St. Cloud and they wrap it up! But for good measure let's just win out this season, including the WCHA and NCAA tourneys!

Let's GO GOPHERS!!!!

Well we didn't even get a tie out of the weekend series with St. Cloud State, so hopefully we kick Michigan Tech's jiggly butt next weekend to go into the playoffs on a winning note!

The Huskies came out fired up on Friday and took it to the Goph's 5 - 1 in the opening game and Frasee did not look good in goal as he gave up two soft questionable goals, but the biggest problem was the Goph's not protecting their end and letting the Huskies come across the blue line with out being challenged way to often and taking way to many penalties and it cost them dearly.

The second game was a more competitive and the Goph's were up 3 to 1 and then let the Huskies score 4 unanswered goals (1 was an empty netter at the end of the game) and the Goph's went down 5 to 3 to end the series.

I was really disappointed with our goal tending in both games, and was also not happy with the amount of penalties we took both nights.
Why did Lucia have Frasee in the nights Friday and Briggs on Saturday when all season it has been the other way around?
The second to last weekend of the season is not time to start experimenting with your routine or lineup unless you are struggling to make the playoffs not when you are trying to wrap up the regular season title on a 5 game winning streak.

The two teams that I want us to sweep every time is ND and SCSU and we get swept by both in a month and it just kills me.
I grew up in St. Cloud, but I was a Goph's hockey fan long before SCSU went division 1 and my friends and family give me crap because I root for the Gopher's, and I have a brother in-law that is a fanatic about ND and I will hear about this until next year unless the Goph's win the WCHA playoff championship and the National Championship!

unfortunetly I don't think we have the goaltending to do it!
Briggs earlier in the year was outstanding and Frasee was standing on his head 2 out of every 3 games, but over the last month and a 1/2 both have taken steps back and are not playing well enough to get us through the playoffs at this time.

MaddenVodkaAddict
03-02-2007, 09:21 PM
WCHA champs!
I think that makes up for last weekends losses against St. Cloud St. (aka "gopher rejects"
;D)

VKG4LFE
03-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Way to go gophers!! Gophers win 6-2 last night in the first game of a three game series for the right to play in the final five, if they get it done tonight it will be the 9th straight year they will be playing in the final five!

VKG4LFE
03-11-2007, 12:04 PM
I don't know how in the world the gophers lost to Alaska Anchorage last night, but they better come out fired up tonight and whoop them so they can go to the final five!

mnjamie
03-11-2007, 04:56 PM
What time do they play tonight??
I have been everywhere and can't find it ......

whackthepack
03-14-2007, 09:09 AM
The Goph's pulled it out on Suday night and won the opening series against Anchorage.

We should have swept them and we let them hang around to long.

The Final five is this weekend and come on Goph's lets pull one out and win the Broadmoor.

VKG4LFE
03-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Yeah, we need to end on the season on a 7 game winning streak and take home the title!!

purpleFavreEaters
03-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Tommorow night will be a great game!!! Gophers vs. Badgers. This game will be extremely intense and I cannot wait to see the Gophers crush the Badgers.

whackthepack
03-16-2007, 04:22 PM
Last I heard N.D was up 5 - 2 on St. Cloud with 13:00 left in the 3rd period so if the Goph's can beat Wisconsin tonight we would face the Sioux and they are playing really well since Christmas so it would be a tough game.

COJOMAY
03-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Minnesota up 2-1 in second period of championship game with UND

COJOMAY
03-17-2007, 09:13 PM
2-2 five minutes into the 3rd but Gophers have power play.

BadlandsVikings
03-17-2007, 09:32 PM
GO SIOUX!!!!

http://www.teamline.cc/static/images/logos/NorthDakotaFightingSioux.gif

COJOMAY
03-17-2007, 09:40 PM
2-2 going into overtime

misdemeanor
03-17-2007, 09:51 PM
The game could go either way..no one is really dominating.
Whoever wins will probably end up being the team that gets on lucky bounce. but....

GO GOPHERS!

COJOMAY
03-17-2007, 10:01 PM
Gophers win 3-2. Go Gophers!

misdemeanor
03-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Crazy goal...looked pretty lucky but great effort!

MaddenVodkaAddict
03-18-2007, 02:31 AM
You can put it on the board....YES!

mnjamie
03-18-2007, 08:29 AM
What a game ... what a game .....
The team that deserved to win, did last night !!!

;D

Goooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Gophers !!

marcosMN
03-18-2007, 08:46 AM
Did you see that last goal?

How crazy was that?!

Go maroon and gold!

VKG4LFE
03-18-2007, 01:26 PM
That was one of the greatest hockey games I have ever witnessed! The Gophers are back in true form! The NCAA selection show comes on in 5 minutes! I got that game on tape and rewatched it this morning, absolutely incredible! On to the NCAA's, hopefully the Gophers fair better this year than they did last year.

GO GOPHERS!!!

VKG4LFE
03-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Minnesota got the #1 overall seed, yet they have by far the toughest road to get to St. Louis. First they need to beat Air Force, and then they have to play the winner or North Dakota and Michigan. Geez, that's a tough draw. I thought they tried to avoid interconference match ups, when they sure didn't when they put UND in our regional. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to beat them again to go on to St. Louie!

whackthepack
03-19-2007, 12:04 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Minnesota got the #1 overall seed, yet they have by far the toughest road to get to St. Louis. First they need to beat Air Force, and then they have to play the winner or North Dakota and Michigan. Geez, that's a tough draw. I thought they tried to avoid interconference match ups, when they sure didn't when they put UND in our regional. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to beat them again to go on to St. Louie!

Couldn't agree more!

Why do we get stuck in the toughest bracket when we are the # 1overall?

Hope that Michigan can knock off UND I hate when you have a game with a team that you just beat in an emotional game and who is going to be looking for revenge.

VKG4LFE
03-21-2007, 08:07 PM
I hate to say it, but if we have to play the Sioux again, I think we are in trouble. The only way we beat them again is if we stay out of the penalty box and we get some power play goals. I'm a huge Michigan fan on Saturday.

I guess first things first we have to get by Air Force who virtually has a freakin' home game! Can someone tell me why we didn't get 14-18 Alabama-Huntsville when we are the NUMBER ONE SEED in the tourney! Geez.

MaddenVodkaAddict
03-24-2007, 05:48 PM
Nice comeback gentlemen.
Go Michigan
;D

purpleFavreEaters
03-24-2007, 06:16 PM
4-3 over Air Force!!!!! Awesome. Now bring on the Sioux...

BadlandsVikings
03-25-2007, 08:07 PM
West Regional Final

Sioux 3
Gophers 2 - OT

GO SIOUX!!!!!
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:_lndFDcxUh1FYM:http://www.universityrelations.und.edu/logoappeal/web_assets/graphics/logo/siouxhead_large.gif

MaddenVodkaAddict
03-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Grrrr.
Oh well, always next year.

whackthepack
03-26-2007, 11:57 AM
I usually hate the Sioux and would not wish them well, but I hope they win the national title and show the NCAA and the East schools that they can try and shut down the WCHA and let the east have a National Championship but doesn't mean that they will.

WCHA should have had 4 teams in the NCAA tourney and the Gophs and ND should not have been in the same region.

Congrats to ND and this game should have been for the National Championship not a regional bracket.

VKG4LFE
03-31-2007, 07:33 PM
Like I said we got screwed getting sent to the West with Air Force basically get a home game, and then having to play UND for the regional championship against a team we just played a week ago.

Luckily we snuck by Air Force. UND got us, but they didn't impress me much. I don't think they'll win the title and I HOPE TO GOD they don't, I hate UND almost as much as Sconnie.