PDA

View Full Version : Does Childress really know offense?

umaguma1979
10-04-2006, 09:26 PM
Someone had to ask the question?
I mean lets face the facts, Childress was a glorified clipboard holder for Andy Reid the past several seasons while Reid called the plays.
We have been patient fans thus far this year (or maybe we are more focused on the Twins) and I don't recall this level of patience in recent years.

Vikes
10-04-2006, 09:29 PM
Stop it. We are fine. Childress is doing a great job. It's the first year give it some time.

PurplePeopleEaters
10-04-2006, 09:34 PM
People really don't understand coaching in the NFL do they.. an offensive coordinator is not a "glorified clip-board holder". If he was that, we never would have signed him to be our head coach. I'm pretty sure Childress knows how to make the plays, the question is can he call them on the fly or not. I think he did a fine job the first two weeks and had his philosophy down. Run the ball or bust. The playcalls against the bears were good too, our offense just failed us in the end (not his fault). Last week was the first time he really had to play a full game down. He abandoned his own philosophy and we lost the game because of that. Let's see how he rebounds next week and reserve judgement until then.

HornedHat
10-04-2006, 09:42 PM
As disappointed as I have been with this offense, I still know that it hasn't truly jelled yet and WILL get better. OL penalties, missed blocks, wrong routes and dropped passes. All of these things are related to cohesion, which we have lacked. Dropped passes may be more problematic, but at least some of them can be attributed to looking in the wrong place or adjusting to a correct route after messing up originally. I think (hope) this offense will get it together soon, and then it will fly! I expect to see results after the bye. If it hasn't come together by then...well, maybe Calvin Johnson will be wearing horns next year!

cajunvike
10-04-2006, 09:47 PM
Coach Chill will do just fine against the Kitties...besides, I will be holding his family hostage...so he'd better win if he knows what's good for him!

JUST KIDDING!!! (I think)

LOL

Purple Floyd
10-04-2006, 10:13 PM
This game will tell us alot about our team and coaching staff. This is a game where we have no reason to lose and that is the kind of game we usually end up losing. If we lose to Detroit all hell is going to break loose for the coaching staff.

Personally I have been more patient than usual with the staff because of all of the changes but this is the fifth week and any jelling that hasn't happened probably won't happen and if it does, it will probably be too late to mean anything. After the season is over we will lose players and coaches and will be back to square one so I am not interested in seeing them finally "Jell" in week 12.

BadlandsVikings
10-04-2006, 10:17 PM
"Vikes" wrote:

Stop it. We are fine. Childress is doing a great job. It's the first year give it some time.

I hope you don't want too much time.

Braddock
10-04-2006, 10:17 PM
If he would call plays like there's two minutes left and we're down by 5, then we'd be in great shape. He's trying to be too conservative with our offense. Not the dink, dink, dink, big pass, dink, dink, dink, big pass formula anymore. Play to WIN, and we will. hopefully after last week, he'll realize that in this league you have to keep putting more
and more pressure on from the opening kickoff to the last second. Play call like we're behind and we'll do well.

cajunvike
10-04-2006, 10:19 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

This game will tell us alot about our team and coaching staff. This is a game where we have no reason to lose and that is the kind of game we usually end up losing. If we lose to Detroit all hell is going to break loose for the coaching staff.

Personally I have been more patient than usual with the staff because of all of the changes but this is the fifth week and any jelling that hasn't happened probably won't happen and if it does, it will probably be too late to mean anything. After the season is over we will lose players and coaches and will be back to square one so I am not interested in seeing them finally "Jell" in week 12.

They had better start gellin' like Magellan...otherwise we might have to go out and trade for a felon (Randy Moss) to jump start the offense!!!

singersp
10-04-2006, 10:19 PM
Perhaps what were seeing is the reason Reid didn't let Childress call the plays.

- Just throwing some fuel on the fire.
:D

PurplePeopleEaters
10-04-2006, 10:25 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

They had better start gellin' like Magellan...otherwise we might have to go out and trade for a felon (Randy Moss) to jump start the offense!!!

If we can get moss, then hell, dont gel.

singersp
10-04-2006, 10:32 PM
Your mystery is solved!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/singersp82759/Childress_508.jpg

BadlandsVikings
10-04-2006, 10:37 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Your mystery is solved!

You forgot the gum and sweater vest.
::)

Purple Floyd
10-04-2006, 10:40 PM
"WVV" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Your mystery is solved!

You forgot the gum and sweater vest.
::)

Now all he has to do is grow a foot taller and the cloning will be complete.

thevikingfan
10-04-2006, 11:27 PM
"umaguma1979" wrote:

I mean lets face the facts, Childress was a glorified clipboard holder for Andy Reid the past several seasons while Reid called the plays.
We have been patient fans thus far this year (or maybe we are more focused on the Twins) and I don't recall this level of patience in recent years.

I dont think its the coaches i belive it is the execution

whackthepack
10-05-2006, 09:30 AM
What a bunch of panicking ninnies, oh no we lost 2 games and everything is terrible!

What were you saying when we were 2 - 0 and had just beat the Panthers, or in the 4th quarter of the Bears game when we were ahead and it looked like we were going to be 3 - 0?

Del Rio
10-05-2006, 10:50 AM
The majority of a coaching staffs job is done during the week, that is the real work and that is something we as fans do not see.

So the fact that you think all he did for Andy Reid was hold clipboards is laughable.

Jesus Christ its been 4 weeks we are 2-2 and our team has yet to be blown out. We have penalties, we have new players ALL over the field. Calm the fuck down, or go watch bowling.

Zeus
10-05-2006, 11:00 AM
"umaguma1979" wrote:

I guarantee he knows more about offense than everyone else on this website combined.

=Z=

PurpleRide
10-05-2006, 11:09 AM
The line needs to play more as a group then how they are playing, the WR nned to step it up, the QB needs to make better throws.
The more expirence he gets at calling plays as a head coach, the better the game will go.
Hopefully he can form TJ to a Mcnabb type QB, then this offence will be more wide open then what we have now as QB.

Del Rio
10-05-2006, 11:16 AM
TJ may or may not be the future.

If you put him now the only thing it's going to "open" is a can of whoop a$$ on our team.

Zeus
10-05-2006, 11:25 AM
"Del" wrote:

If you put him now the only thing it's going to "open" is a can of whoop a$$ on our team.

I can only imagine the squealing from the masses here if TJ were put in and committed the kind of turnovers and mis-plays which Vince Young did last week in Tennessee against the Cowboys.

=Z=

Del Rio
10-05-2006, 11:31 AM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

I can only imagine the squealing from the masses here if TJ were put in and committed the kind of turnovers and mis-plays which Vince Young did last week in Tennessee against the Cowboys.

=Z=

You know what would happen AZ, if he started playing and he strugled. You would have all his fans come out and say he is a rookie he needs time. Which is the same fucking thing that Childress and this team needs. Their brains only work when it is benificial to their ideas.

The best part of the T-Jack argument is people are getting excited about his play this pre-season and reference it when trying to make a case for him being able to do a better job then Brad, but Brad still outplayed the young buck in the preseason in every stat.

I like T-Jack as much as I can for a guy who never played Div 1 football, but I think it is pretty humorous some of the claims we hear about what he will do for us right now.

Ltrey33
10-05-2006, 01:15 PM
"Del" wrote:

"AWZeus" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

=Z=

You know what would happen AZ, if he started playing and he strugled. You would have all his fans come out and say he is a rookie he needs time. Which is the same fricken thing that Childress and this team needs. Their brains only work when it is benificial to their ideas.

The best part of the T-Jack argument is people are getting excited about his play this pre-season and reference it when trying to make a case for him being able to do a better job then Brad, but Brad still outplayed the young buck in the preseason in every stat.

I like T-Jack as much as I can for a guy who never played Div 1 football, but I think it is pretty humorous some of the claims we hear about what he will do for us right now.

I agree Del. First of all, the notion that Jackson could come in here and do more than Brad could, especially with the offensive line playing like it did last week, is ridiculous. The guy is a rookie that has only played in 4 preseason games, been in Childress's system for 4 months and only played 1-AA football. Just the thought that he could come in and do better than a 14 year vet with a Super Bowl ring and a good grasp of the offense is insane! I like Jackson's potential, and I think with some work he could become Childress's next McNabb, but we're only 4 games into his career for crying out loud. Also, we've seen how misleading preseason can be, and that's all we've seen Tarvaris play. Remember Daunte last year? He was lights out in the preseason, had a QB rating of like 114, and then threw 6 TDs and 12 INTs in his first couple of games. Don't take the preseason as an indication of ANYTHING. Even the really, really prepared quarterbacks coming out of college struggle in their first few years. Petyon Manning is about as cerebral as they come when it comes to an offense, and he played big time college football, and he still threw more INTs than touchdowns his first year. Replace Brad with Tarvaris? Give me a break.

As far as Childress goes, "Duh." How could he not know the offense? He's the head coach for crying out loud! He's been in football for decades, was an offensive coordinator for one of the best Wisconsin offenses in history, was an o-coordinator (even though he didn't call the plays, he wouldn't have a job if he didn't know, understand and coach the offense) for a Super Bowl team with the Eagles. Childress doesn't know the offense? Wow. Just wow.