PDA

View Full Version : Game date vs. Lions in ?



Lando
10-01-2006, 10:41 PM
The Twins won the division .. if that series vs. the A's goes to Game 5 it will interfere with the Vikings scheduled home game vs. the Lions!
Thoughts?!

Vikes_King
10-01-2006, 10:48 PM
fine by me since they might move it to monday night instead =)

thevikingfan
10-01-2006, 11:31 PM
Awesome!I work on sunday and cant c the game so if they move it to monday night that would be sweet!

PurplePeopleEaters
10-01-2006, 11:33 PM
A better idea would be just play it in Detroit and then have the Lions come here for the other game.. Simple.. no scheduling problems.

OR

Even easier.. The Twins sweep.. no need.

BadlandsVikings
10-01-2006, 11:38 PM
A's fall apart
or another MNF double header would be great.

happy camper
10-02-2006, 12:08 AM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:


A better idea would be just play it in Detroit and then have the Lions come here for the other game.. Simple.. no scheduling problems.




But then you're asking the Lions management to accept that thier fans have to reschedule thier plans. And if I'm the Lions I say "NO WAY!".

thevikingfan
10-02-2006, 12:12 AM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:


A better idea would be just play it in Detroit and then have the Lions come here for the other game.. Simple.. no scheduling problems.

OR

Even easier.. The Twins sweep.. no need.


The lions would never accept that because if we swap home games then detroit would have to play their last 4 of 5 games on the road

BadlandsVikings
10-02-2006, 12:12 AM
"happy" wrote:


"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:


A better idea would be just play it in Detroit and then have the Lions come here for the other game.. Simple.. no scheduling problems.




But then you're asking the Lions management to accept that thier fans have to reschedule thier plans. And if I'm the Lions I say "NO WAY!".

If your dumb enough to be a Lions fan, I don't think you have any other plans.

midgensa
10-02-2006, 12:43 AM
The biggest problem with the switch is the game may be bumped from TV coverage all together in that case (like the Dolphins Cheifs game last year that was moved due to hurricane) I am hoping it just goes off without a hitch ... so here is to a Twins sweep (of course I am not a Twins fan ... so an A's sweep would suit me as well)

Chad8970
10-02-2006, 12:52 AM
Every year some buddies and I come up to watch the Gophers on Sat.
and the Vikes on Sunday.
Being a Twins fan, this is quite a problem.
As it stands, We're leaving from Sioux Falls at 5:00 am so we can get up to see the Gophers.
I hope the vikes can come up withn three quick wins so I can see the vikings.
If they change the game to Monday, somebody let me know.
We've got 8 tickets in the 12th. row, endzone!!!
Go Twins!!

singersp
10-02-2006, 07:10 AM
Twins have no lease on the stadium, the Vikings do.

Twins should play Monday night.

Or they should compensate the Vikings season ticket holders with free tickets to Sundays game.

DeathtoDenny
10-02-2006, 07:38 AM
Although I'd like to see the game on MNF so I could actually watch it, I doubt the A's series will go to the 5th game. Cheers to the Twins!

singersp
10-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Posted on Mon, Oct. 02, 2006

Twins complicate Sunday's game (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/15656950.htm)

Vikings vice president of public affairs and stadium development Lester Bagley said the team would announce today whether Sunday's home game against Detroit will be moved because of a potential scheduling conflict with the Twins.

With the Twins clinching home-field advantage in the American League divisional playoff series, they could be hosting Game 5 against Oakland that day, which likely will force the Vikings to move their game to Monday night or flip-flop home games with the Lions.

In that scenario, the Vikings would play Sunday at Detroit and Dec. 10 at the Metrodome.

twiztedfait
10-02-2006, 08:52 AM
"singersp" wrote:


Twins have no lease on the stadium, the Vikings do.

Twins should play Monday night.

Or they should compensate the Vikings season ticket holders with free tickets to Sundays game.




Playoffs of any nature are greater then a regular season game IMHO.
Vikings should switch their schedule or move the game to detroit..

I just wish I could get a couple of strips to the twins games
:'(

Zeus
10-02-2006, 08:57 AM
Here's what is going to happen - take it to the bank.

* The Vikes-Lions game will be moved to Monday night, a decision which will likely be announced today (Monday - 10/2)
- The Vikings, in a push to get a new stadium, will not want to appear to be the bad guy in a dispute with the 2006 feel-good story of the Twins and their amazing comeback.
- The game will be carried by ESPN, but ONLY in the local markets of the Vikings and Lions.
Everyone else will get the regular-scheduled game - Baltimore @ Denver.
And that means everyone else.
That most likely means the ND, SD, IA, WI, etc. Vikings fans are going to get screwed and see the Ravens/Broncos game.
- The game will also be locally broadcasted in the MSP area, I'm guessing on Channel 5, but that's purely a guess.
It might be on channel 29.
Whoever showed the game in Week 1 against the Redskins will probably show this game, as well.

* If the Twins series does not go to five games, the Dome will sit dark and unused on Sunday.
- They have to make a decision and stick with it.
I am, quite frankly, surprised that the decision wasn't made last weekend.
ESPN will have to scramble to have a crew ready to replace the FOX crew which was slated to be here this Sunday.
- Once the decision is made, they cannot change it back to Sunday.
ESPN needs as much time as possible to get cameras, personnel, etc. here to do the game next Monday.
A week is barely enough time to do it.

* The Vikings will likely get some compensation from the Twins and MLB for agreeing to the switch, but the fan will get NOTHING.
If you've already bought your tickets, the Vikings have your money, so they don't care.
And they shouldn't, IMHO.
I have a buddy flying in from St. Louis to go to this game on Sunday, and he's gonna be screwed here (STUPID TIGERS!!!), but what can I do?


You all can continue whining and moaning all you want.
The fact of the matter is that this is what happens when you share a stadium.


=Z=

Lando
10-02-2006, 09:16 AM
Who's Your Dome Daddy?
John Holler
VikingUpdate.com Oct 2, 2006

A decision on the dispostion of the Metrodome Sunday is expected later today. If Zygi Wilf wanted to, he could flex his muscle to say the Vikings should have a stake to their game at noon Sunday with the Lions. But don't expect it.

With all the bootleg T-shirts citing everything from “piranhas” to “smells” for the bandwagon-jumping Twins fans, while the rest of us slept, serious discussions concerning who has precedence to the Metrodome next Sunday remains a 13th-hour topic of debate.

A final call is likely due later today, but it begs the question, “Who’s your Daddy?” Prior to the Tigers' unprecedented weekend collapse to the Royals – who came into town with 100 losses and left with just as many – the lease question at the Metrodome was a moot point.

Now it may be something. Not because of the Vikings' rightful ownership to the Dome for Sunday’s scheduled game with the Lions, but because a lot of goodwill could be sacrificed to prove a point.

By virtue of the Twins winning the American League Central Division Sunday, a potential Game 5 matchup with Oakland looms on Sunday. Seeing as if you’re an A’s fan and have a problem with Games 1 and 2 of the ALDS starting at 10 a.m. local time, that’s tough. Major League Baseball wasn’t expecting two teams from New York and two teams from Southern California to make the playoffs in the same year. Oops. If the Yankees have a Game 5 with the Tigers, it is listed as “TBA” on the league’s website. Translation? Prime time.

That would mean, if the fly-over Twins and the “wrong side of the Bay Bridge” A’s should happen to have a Game 5 on the same day as affiliates in New York and Detroit, the afternoon schedule applies. The NFL has one late game on FOX – Terrell Owens’ return to Philly. Think that may draw some interest, especially in light of events where a publicist should have hired a publicist? Albert Haynesworth may be viewed as Gandhi after T.O. comes back the Land of Whine and Cheesesteaks. Smells like a noon start for a Twins-A’s Game 5 to the untrained nose – much less noses capable of smelling ratings points.

Turns out, that's the same time the Vikings and Lions are scheduled to play in the Metrodome Sunday. Vikings officials have been in discussions with officials from the Twins, MLB, NFL and the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission for the last couple of weeks. Much in the same way BCS officials sweat out a potential worst-case scenario, it has already been discussed what would happen in the event of a baseball-football stadium conflict. A plan is in place. The question now should be which should take precedence?

The irony of the question is really quite sad. In the Vikings, you have a team that has accepted every bad revenue turn as a Metrodome tenant – from letting Mike Lynn pimp team revenue to giving the Twins a taste of their concession money. When Major League Baseball was willing to opt for the euthanasia of two franchises, the Twins willingly shaved their own paw to insert the hypodermic. Only then did the baseball purists in Minnesota profess their love. For all his bluster, Red McCombs sold the Vikings before moving them to a stadium closer to a basketball team that calls itself the Lakers. Zygi Wilf bought the team and has kept quiet while a stadium for his self-annihilating baseball counterparts was approved.

It shouldn’t be lost that Wilf spearheaded a movement to get the 2008 Republican National Convention in Minneapolis. When was the last time Minnesota voted for a Republican presidential candidate? And they got it. Kudos, sir. Job well done. Perhaps not fully appreciated, but well done.

It is perhaps that same cordiality that will most likely see the Vikings and Lions play next Monday. Behind the doors of power, the Wilfs have done their best to be a good tenant – both to the Metrodome and to the State of Minnesota. The Vikings franchise is currently the trailer trash of the NFL when it comes to revenue streams, but Zygi has played by the “Minnesota Nice” rules. Don’t rock the boat.

The Twins had a trump card when they had a lease with the Metrodome, but that original agreement was allowed to lapse in 2004. If the Vikings wanted to be salty about it, they could. If they wanted to be hard core, the strict legal interpretation of the leases is that the Vikings would step aside in the event of a World Series conflict. This isn’t the World Series. But, expect to see the Vikings step aside if needed.

As it stands now, there are three options – two of which are virtually moot. The first is for the NFL to mandate the Vikings and Lions switch home games. Even though Detroit is 0-4, such a move would mean that four of their last five games and five of their last seven would be on the road. Big problem in Motown over that. The second is to have the Lions come to town on Saturday and, if a Game 4 requires a Game 5, wait until the result to determine whether to play game as scheduled at noon local time Sunday or not. That, too, likely won’t sit well with the Lions brass. Third is to play the game on Monday – the only scenario that makes sense, even though it likely means that only Minnesota and Michigan sees the game.

If the Vikings want to push the issue, they could likely use legalese to prove a point. But, there is nothing to gain and a lot to lose if the team makes a claim to what might rightfully be theirs. Expect to see Zygi say “Go Twins” and let the schedule be changed. He’s built up a lot of goodwill in the chambers of power in this state. No sense letting all that get shot down when baseball fever has returned. The Twins and the Gophers have their new stadiums on the horizon. The Vikings don’t. Being “Minnesota Nice” would serve them well right now.

Lando
10-02-2006, 09:19 AM
I'm in a bind on this one .. I live about a 24 hour drive from the game (Alberta, Canada).
I need the decision made ASAP so I can make travel arrangements accordingly (and/or liquidate my tickets as required).
I hope the game is moved to Monday night (and broadcast on NFL Sunday Ticket or StreamTVnow).
If the game is moved to Monday, why wouldn't the Vikings provide a refund on tickets (especially considering travel arrangements for people coming to the game)?!

NodakPaul
10-02-2006, 09:19 AM
The Vikings do retan the right to decide, as they are the lease holders, but the Vikings game should, and will , be moved to monday night.
The same thing happened back when Game 7 of the 1987 WS interfered with a Vikings game.



wikipedia wrote:

There have been a few occasions when two Monday night games were played simultaneously. In 1987, a scheduling conflict arose when Major League Baseball's Minnesota Twins went to Game 7 of the World Series (which also aired on ABC), making the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome unavailable for the Minnesota Vikings' scheduled game that Sunday. The Vikings game was subsequently moved to Monday night, and ABC aired it in a split telecast with the regularly-scheduled MNF game. A similar scenario unfolded in 1997, when the Florida Marlins went to Game 7 of the World Series and the Miami Dolphins' Sunday game at Pro Player Stadium was shifted to Monday night. In 2005, the New Orleans Saints played the New York Giants in a rescheduled game due to Hurricane Katrina; the Saints-Giants game began at 7:30 p.m. before being switched over to ABC's corporate sister network ESPN at 9 p.m. for the regularly scheduled matchup between the Dallas Cowboys and the Washington Redskins (the Saints-Giants game was seen in its entirety in New York, Louisiana and other hurricane-affected areas on ABC, with the regularly-scheduled MNF game shown on ESPN until the end of the first game).

Zeus was exactly right in that the Vikes don't want to look like the bad guy while they are pushing for a stadium themselves.
I am not sure what the split telecast would look like.
They might decide to air one on ABC and one on ESPN.
I will be at the game, but I like to DVR them so I can rewatch them when I get home.

Zeus
10-02-2006, 09:23 AM
"Lando" wrote:


I'm in a bind on this one .. I live about a 24 hour drive from the game (Alberta, Canada).
I need the decision made ASAP so I can make travel arrangements accordingly (and/or liquidate my tickets as required).
I hope the game is moved to Monday night (and broadcast on NFL Sunday Ticket or StreamTVnow).
If the game is moved to Monday, why wouldn't the Vikings provide a refund on tickets (especially considering travel arrangements for people coming to the game)?!


It won't be broadcast on NFL Sunday Ticket.
In the last two years, two games in Florida were moved because of pending hurricanes and neither was shown on DirectTV.

And the Vikings won't provide refunds.
You bought a ticket to the Lions-Vikings game.
NOT the Lions-Vikings game on Sunday, October 8th.
I'm in the same situation, as noted above in my post.

=Z=

NodakPaul
10-02-2006, 09:28 AM
"Lando" wrote:

If the game is moved to Monday, why wouldn't the Vikings provide a refund on tickets (especially considering travel arrangements for people coming to the game)?!


Because on the bottom of each ticket it states Game time subject to change and on the backl (under No refunds or exchanges it states The DATE and TIME of the game is subject to change by the NFL in accordance with its scheduling policies or as a result of other actions or events beyond the NFL's control.
No refund will be provided if ticket holder cannot attend.

Honestly, I don't blame the NFL for not refunding tickets.
It would be a huge financial loss is they had to issue refunds even for just one game.

Lando
10-02-2006, 09:30 AM
OK I'll survive on eating the tickets if I must
:P

I remember last year when the Dolphins game was moved to I think a Thursday night, it was in fact on Sunday Ticket via Bell Express Vu in Canada.

NodakPaul
10-02-2006, 09:40 AM
We should know one way or another by the end of today.
Maybe you can hold off on making travel arrangements until then.
Whether it is on Sunday or Monday it will be a good game (Because the vikes need a win right about now :))

DeathtoDenny
10-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Lions O looks way better than ours, I wouldn't chalk this one as a win yet.

Zeus
10-02-2006, 10:24 AM
"Lando" wrote:


OK I'll survive on eating the tickets if I must
:P

I remember last year when the Dolphins game was moved to I think a Thursday night, it was in fact on Sunday Ticket via Bell Express Vu in Canada.


Canada has different rules than the US, then, because it wasn't available here.
I remember some really really really angry Dolphins fans at our local pub when they couldn't get the game on the dish.

=Z=

NodakPaul
10-02-2006, 02:23 PM
Back to the original issue... Has anybody heard if the game is moved yet?

Zeus
10-02-2006, 04:42 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:


Back to the original issue... Has anybody heard if the game is moved yet?


Nothing yet.

=Z=

NodakPaul
10-02-2006, 10:03 PM
http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_objectname_LionsGameTime10206.html

POTENTIAL TIME AND DATE CHANGE FOR VIKINGS-LIONS GAME

The Minnesota Vikings game vs. the Detroit Lions scheduled for noon on Sunday, October 8, could be moved depending on how the Minnesota Twins' Divisional Playoff Series develops.

The game between the Lions and Vikings will move ONLY if the Twins' series against Oakland advances to a Game 5. In that event, the Vikings-Lions game would be played on Monday, October 9, at 7:30 p.m. (CT), at the Metrodome.

POTENTIAL SCENARIOS
· Twins vs. A's - Series ends in 3 or 4 games - Lions at Vikings, Sunday, October 8, Noon (CT)
OR
· Twins vs. A's - Series goes 5 games - Lions at Vikings, Monday, October 9, 7:30 p.m. (CT)


· If the Vikings-Lions game is moved to Monday, October 9, the Taste of the NFL event at Winter Park in Eden Prairie will be held on Tuesday, October 10.

NodakPaul
10-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Looks like we won't know until Friday at the earliest.

Game
Matchup
Day
Date
Time ET
TV
Gm 1 DET @ NYY Tue Oct. 3 8 pm FOX
Gm 2 DET @ NYY Wed Oct. 4 8 pm ESPN
Gm 3 NYY @ DET Fri

Oct. 6 8 pm ESPN
Gm 4 NYY @ DET Sat Oct. 7 TBD
Gm 5 DET @ NYY Sun Oct. 8 TBD

Lando
10-02-2006, 11:04 PM
I don't mean to be rude .. but this is unacceptable.
I need to drive 24 hours to the game if I have to, and need to know in advance my plans.
ARGH!

singersp
10-02-2006, 11:11 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:


Looks like we won't know until Friday at the earliest.

Game
Matchup
Day
Date
Time ET
TV
Gm 1 DET @ NYY Tue Oct. 3 8 pm FOX
Gm 2 DET @ NYY Wed Oct. 4 8 pm ESPN
Gm 3 NYY @ DET Fri

Oct. 6 8 pm ESPN
Gm 4 NYY @ DET Sat Oct. 7 TBD
Gm 5 DET @ NYY Sun Oct. 8 TBD



Um, that's the Tigers & Yankee series............

It has nothing to do with the Twins & A's series.
;)

PurplePeopleEaters
10-02-2006, 11:14 PM
Just heard on the radio what the NFL decided. They said that if the series doesn't go to a game 5, it'll be played in Minnesota at 1 on sunday. If it does it will be a Monday Night Football double Header with the Vikings vs. Lions game a 7:30.

Lando
10-03-2006, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the decision in advance .. weak effort.

snowinapril
10-03-2006, 01:11 AM
"AWZeus" wrote:


Here's what is going to happen - take it to the bank.

* The Vikes-Lions game will be moved to Monday night, a decision which will likely be announced today (Monday - 10/2)
- The Vikings, in a push to get a new stadium, will not want to appear to be the bad guy in a dispute with the 2006 feel-good story of the Twins and their amazing comeback.
- The game will be carried by ESPN, but ONLY in the local markets of the Vikings and Lions.
Everyone else will get the regular-scheduled game - Baltimore @ Denver.
And that means everyone else.
That most likely means the ND, SD, IA, WI, etc. Vikings fans are going to get screwed and see the Ravens/Broncos game.
- The game will also be locally broadcasted in the MSP area, I'm guessing on Channel 5, but that's purely a guess.
It might be on channel 29.
Whoever showed the game in Week 1 against the Redskins will probably show this game, as well.

* If the Twins series does not go to five games, the Dome will sit dark and unused on Sunday.
- They have to make a decision and stick with it.
I am, quite frankly, surprised that the decision wasn't made last weekend.
ESPN will have to scramble to have a crew ready to replace the FOX crew which was slated to be here this Sunday.
- Once the decision is made, they cannot change it back to Sunday.
ESPN needs as much time as possible to get cameras, personnel, etc. here to do the game next Monday.
A week is barely enough time to do it.

* The Vikings will likely get some compensation from the Twins and MLB for agreeing to the switch, but the fan will get NOTHING.
If you've already bought your tickets, the Vikings have your money, so they don't care.
And they shouldn't, IMHO.
I have a buddy flying in from St. Louis to go to this game on Sunday, and he's gonna be screwed here (STUPID TIGERS!!!), but what can I do?


You all can continue whining and moaning all you want.
The fact of the matter is that this is what happens when you share a stadium.


=Z=


I don't think that ESPN would be able to over on the rights to a FOX game.
The local FOX station would have adverts sold for the game.
I could be wrong, but that is how I see it.
The station that contracted the game would get to keep it and only the local audience would see it.
I would think that SD, ND, IA would all be left out unless they have an antena that can pull in a MPLS station.

I am wondering about my direct TV.
I would assume that they wouldn't show it on The Ticket because it would UPSET ESPN.
That is the same reason why IA, SD, and ND would also be left out.


Just my take on it.

singersp
10-03-2006, 07:20 AM
Dome double occupancy has Vikings waiting on decision (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/717361.html)

They will let the Twins have the facility on Sunday but will wait as late as possible until rescheduling against the Lions.

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
Last update: October 02, 2006 – 11:46 PM

If anyone could start a week uncertain when their next game will be played, it's the Vikings.

After weeks of discussing a possible Metrodome conflict, the Vikings have acquiesced scheduling priority to the Twins. But the Vikings announced Monday night that they will not move Sunday's game against Detroit unless absolutely necessary.

The uncertainty could last until Saturday, when the Twins and Oakland Athletics would play Game 4 of their American League playoff series. Should Game 5 be necessary, the Vikings and Lions will move their kickoff to 7:30 p.m. Monday.

The Vikings chose that wait-and-see route in part to minimize the chances of financial losses associated with moving a game on short notice.

If the game is moved to Monday night, the Vikings will seek compensation from the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission. Roy Terwilliger, chairman of the commission, estimated those costs Monday at about $200,000.

Doubleheader was discussed

Lester Bagley, Vikings vice president of public affairs and stadium development, said other options -- including playing both games Sunday at the Metrodome -- were under discussion as late as Monday afternoon. The Vikings are convinced they have legal jurisdiction over the building for this round of the baseball playoffs, Bagley said, but they decided against a formal conflict.

"We appreciate the Sports Commission stepping up and taking the lead in resolving the issues," Bagley said. "The fact that they did step in reflects that, in their view, our case was valid. But we just wanted to cooperate and find the best way to resolve the problem. If there is a Game 5, there is no other realistic option but for us to move our game to Monday and try to sort out the financial issues."

The Vikings are one of three NFL teams, along with Miami and Oakland, who share their stadium with a baseball team. In 1987, the Vikings accommodated Game 7 of the World Series by moving a matchup with Denver to the next night. There also is NFL precedence for the uncertain schedule the Vikings and Lions face this week.

In 1997, the Chicago Bears traveled to Miami on Oct. 25 in preparation for a game scheduled to be played Sunday, Oct. 26. The Bears arrived in their hotel and watched the Cleveland Indians force a Game 7 of the World Series against the Florida Marlins. Only then was the Bears-Dolphins game rescheduled for Oct. 27; Chicago won 36-33 in overtime.

Home swap was discussed, too

The Vikings tried to convince Detroit to swap home games, according to a person close to the discussions, but the Lions declined because the deal would leave them playing four of their final five games on the road.

Tom Lewand, the Lions chief operating officer, told Detroit reporters that the Vikings and NFL want to wait until "the latest possible minute" before moving the game. But Lewand added: "We are awaiting some additional direction from both the league and from the Vikings as to what the definition of last possible moment would mean."

That final point could prove critical, considering that Major League Baseball has not announced a time for Game 4 in Oakland. It could start as late as 10:05 p.m. Central time, potentially extending the Vikings and Lions' uncertainty until the early hours of Sunday morning.

Competitively, playing on Monday night should not impact the Vikings, who have a bye next week. Still, coach Brad Childress made clear he wants to play Sunday and will conduct this week's practices with a normal routine.

"We have to go by it like it's a Sunday [game]," Childress said. "We'll just end up having a bonus day if it goes to Monday. But we're full-speed ahead with a schedule that has us playing on Sunday."

More complicated, however, are the financial implications of moving the game. Several Vikings executives met Monday with Terwilliger and Twins officials, continuing discussions that once centered on whether the Twins maintained scheduling priority when their Metrodome lease expired in 2004.

The Vikings' lease requires them to give up the building only for a World Series game. But in the end, Terwilliger convinced the Vikings there was no upside in fighting the issue.

Terwilliger confirmed the commission will discuss financial compensation for the Vikings during a meeting Friday morning. Extra costs could include an additional night at the team's downtown hotel, longer duration for security and the potential loss of single-game suite sales.

"We would just be trying to cover the financial losses that would be a consequence of moving the game," Bagley said. "Nothing more."


Kevin Seifert • kseifert@startribune.com

singersp
10-03-2006, 07:54 AM
Published: October 03. 2006 3:00AM

Vikings game: Sun. or Mon. (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061003/SPORTS01/610030372)

October 3, 2006

BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

It may be Saturday night before the Lions know when they will play the Vikings at the Metrodome -- 1 p.m. Sunday, as scheduled, or 8:30 p.m. Monday.

The NFL would prefer Sunday but must settle for Monday night if the Twins-A's series goes the distance. Game 4 would be Saturday at Oakland. Game 5 would be Sunday at Minnesota. The Twins have priority over the Vikings in their stadium lease.

"They would like to wait until the latest possible minute to move the game, but we are awaiting some additional direction from both the league and from the Vikings as to what the definition of last possible moment would mean," Lions chief operating officer Tom Lewand said Monday. In 1997, the Bears went to Miami on Saturday and watched the Marlins lose Game 6 of the World Series to the Indians, forcing a Game 7 on Sunday. The Bears stayed in Miami, played Monday night and beat the Dolphins in overtime, 36-33.

"We have at least that bit of history to note," Lewand said. "We don't know if that history will repeat itself yet."

Monday night would be fine by Lions wide receiver Roy Williams. "That's prime time," Williams said. "We wouldn't mind that at all. Maybe that's what this team needs."

]Nicholas J. Cotsonika

NodakPaul
10-03-2006, 08:47 AM
"singersp" wrote:


"NodakPaul" wrote:


Looks like we won't know until Friday at the earliest.

Game
Matchup
Day
Date
Time ET
TV
Gm 1 DET @ NYY Tue Oct. 3 8 pm FOX
Gm 2 DET @ NYY Wed Oct. 4 8 pm ESPN
Gm 3 NYY @ DET Fri

Oct. 6 8 pm ESPN
Gm 4 NYY @ DET Sat Oct. 7 TBD
Gm 5 DET @ NYY Sun Oct. 8 TBD



Um, that's the Tigers & Yankee series............

It has nothing to do with the Twins & A's series.
;)


LOL.
It was late and I was distracted by MNF.
Thanks for the catch. ;D

NodakPaul
10-03-2006, 08:54 AM
It may be Saturday night before the Lions know when they will play the Vikings at the Metrodome -- 1 p.m. Sunday, as scheduled, or 8:30 p.m. Monday.

OK, that actually threw me for a minute.
It will either be 1 p.m. Eastern Time or 8:30 p.m. Eastern Time.
Dang east coast reporters.
It is bad enough I have to work on travel plans for Monday night just in case... don't confuse me on the game time! ;)

JDogg926
10-03-2006, 09:30 AM
I don't care what time the game is.
I just hope I can watch it.

English Vike
10-03-2006, 12:15 PM
i really hope its sunday, 7.30 on monday is 2.30am on monday here, annoyingly late when i have classes the next morning

damien927
10-03-2006, 12:25 PM
That is a bunch of BS..... what about the people that come from out of town????????
I can't make it to the Sunday game, but I can if it is moved to Monday.
If it is going to be on Sunday.... I will sell my tickets, but if the game is on Monday I will make the 4-hour drive.
Just make a friggin' decision.....
Not all people that have tickets or season tickets for that matter, live in the twin cities.
Out of respect to everyone involved just make a decision

Rant off

snowinapril
10-03-2006, 12:34 PM
If the game is on Mon, we have one less day to prepare for the Seachickens. Go Twins, get this series over with.

NodakPaul
10-03-2006, 03:39 PM
We would have basically the same amount of time because next week is a bye week.
It shouldn't matter at all.

singersp
10-03-2006, 07:27 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:


We would have basically the same amount of time because next week is a bye week.
It shouldn't matter at all.


Next week is a bye week? I had that week penciled in as Webby Jr.'s birthday.

snowinapril
10-03-2006, 07:30 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:


We would have basically the same amount of time because next week is a bye week.
It shouldn't matter at all.


Opps my bad!

Zeus
10-03-2006, 10:13 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:


I don't think that ESPN would be able to over on the rights to a FOX game.
The local FOX station would have adverts sold for the game.
I could be wrong, but that is how I see it.
The station that contracted the game would get to keep it and only the local audience would see it.
I would think that SD, ND, IA would all be left out unless they have an antena that can pull in a MPLS station.

I am wondering about my direct TV.
I would assume that they wouldn't show it on The Ticket because it would UPSET ESPN.
That is the same reason why IA, SD, and ND would also be left out.


Just my take on it.


Rights have nothing to do with it.
Availability of the network does.
FOX does not have an available slot on Monday night because they have prime-time programming which takes precedence for many reasons - not the least of which is ratings.
As crappy as the FOX Monday night lineup is, the ratings are better for it than for football.
Plus the advertising dollars for regular prime-time programming dwarfs what money has been put up by the local market for the Vikes-Lions game on Sunday.
The national money for the NFL on FOX is for all telecasts - nothing specific to that particular game.
Haven't you ever watched all the games in a sports bar on a Sunday?
If you pay attention, you'll see the same commercials on each broadcast in the same order, depending on the breaks in the play.
Bud pays for certain timeslots for all of the games on the FOX network.


FOX would actually SAVE money by not having to cover the production costs for the extra game on Sunday afternoon.

If the game is moved to Monday night, it will be on ESPN2 (I'm changing my stance on that one) and broadcast locally in the TC and Detroit on an over-the-air network, just as the Vikes-Redskins game was in week 1.

=Z=

Zeus
10-03-2006, 10:14 PM
"damien927" wrote:


That is a bunch of BS..... what about the people that come from out of town????????
I can't make it to the Sunday game, but I can if it is moved to Monday.
If it is going to be on Sunday.... I will sell my tickets, but if the game is on Monday I will make the 4-hour drive.
Just make a friggin' decision.....
Not all people that have tickets or season tickets for that matter, live in the twin cities.
Out of respect to everyone involved just make a decision

Rant off


I hear you bruddah - I got a buddy flying in on Saturday, leaving on Monday morning and he's screwed outta the ticket price if the game is moved.

The reality is, however, that they don't care.
They (with they being the Vikings) already have his money.
The seat is paid for, whether or not his ass is in it.

=Z=

snowinapril
10-03-2006, 11:51 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:


"snowinapril" wrote:


I don't think that ESPN would be able to over on the rights to a FOX game.
The local FOX station would have adverts sold for the game.
I could be wrong, but that is how I see it.
The station that contracted the game would get to keep it and only the local audience would see it.
I would think that SD, ND, IA would all be left out unless they have an antena that can pull in a MPLS station.

I am wondering about my direct TV.
I would assume that they wouldn't show it on The Ticket because it would UPSET ESPN.
That is the same reason why IA, SD, and ND would also be left out.


Just my take on it.


Rights have nothing to do with it.
Availability of the network does.
FOX does not have an available slot on Monday night because they have prime-time programming which takes precedence for many reasons - not the least of which is ratings.
As crappy as the FOX Monday night lineup is, the ratings are better for it than for football.
Plus the advertising dollars for regular prime-time programming dwarfs what money has been put up by the local market for the Vikes-Lions game on Sunday.
The national money for the NFL on FOX is for all telecasts - nothing specific to that particular game.
Haven't you ever watched all the games in a sports bar on a Sunday?
If you pay attention, you'll see the same commercials on each broadcast in the same order, depending on the breaks in the play.
Bud pays for certain timeslots for all of the games on the FOX network.


FOX would actually SAVE money by not having to cover the production costs for the extra game on Sunday afternoon.

If the game is moved to Monday night, it will be on ESPN2 (I'm changing my stance on that one) and broadcast locally in the TC and Detroit on an over-the-air network, just as the Vikes-Redskins game was in week 1.

=Z=


I think you and I are arguing some of the same points..........so I need to get some things straight.

I never said that FOX would telecast the game nationally, why would anyone expect that.
They don't air "OUR GAME" nationally on Sundays, only to the local markets.

Which over-the-air network is going to air it.
Maybe FOX because they have the rights.

IF the game is played on Mon night, it won't be national and ESPN2 won't cover it.
ESPN is not going to take on the expense to only be able to show it in MN and Mich, which are already getting it through the local-over-the-air networks.

Rights do have something to do with it.
CBS had the rights to Chiefs/Dolphins game and they played this game in local areas on a Friday night.
It would be stupid for FOX to give up on the local sports team, besides, they are under contract to air it.


CBS will televise the game live to the Miami and Kansas City primary and secondary markets, which are WFOR/Miami, WPEC/West Palm Beach and WINK/Ft. Myers in the Dolphins' area, and KCTV/Kansas City and WIBW/Topeka in the Chiefs' territory.

For customers of Sirius Satellite Radio, the game will be available live on Friday at 7 p.m. ET on Channel 121 for the Chiefs' radio broadcast and Channel 131 for the Dolphins' broadcast.

On NFL.com, fans can follow the GameCenter live on the scoreboard, or listen to the local radio broadcast of the game via the Field Pass subscription service. (Field Pass is available on a seven-day free trial basis for first-time subscribers.)

A tape-delayed telecast of the Dolphins-Chiefs game will be shown nationally on NFL Network on Sunday night, Oct. 23, at a time to be determined.

If you have watched the games at the bar or at home on DTV, you will see Direct TV/NFL Ticket ads or whatever service(cable for some other sports) they are using to get the games at the bar, where local adverts are suppose to go.

Further, the Direct TV/NFL Ticket viewers won't be able to see it live, they will see it on a REPLAY, if they are lucky.
ESPN won't let the NFL send the Vikes/Lions game out on the Ticket because it would be a conflict to there viewing audience and the sponsors to the game which airs on ESPN. Those sponsers spent the money that they did with the understanding that they had the NFL football market cornered.

These are the precedents that I see.
The only thing different here is that maybe because ESPN is cable it could play out a little different than lets say the Sunday night game which is on ABC, a free station.

The out of market Viking and Lions fans will get screwed.
I feel bad for all that hold tickets to the game, it is a situation that I wouldn't want to be in unless I had an easy schedule to work around.

snowinapril
10-04-2006, 12:20 AM
Found this interesting....

http://www.voluntarytrade.org/newsite/modules/news/article.php?storyid=83

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, October 21, 2005

Arlington, VA, October 21, 2005?õFor the second time in as many seasons, the National Football League will not televise a game rescheduled due to weather because of a 1966 amendment to the antitrust laws. This evening?ås matchup between the Miami Dolphins and the Kansas City Chiefs will only be telecast in five local markets in Kansas City and Miami. Last season, a rescheduled game between the Dolphins and the Tennessee Titans also faced broadcast restrictions.

According to Skip Oliva, president of the Voluntary Trade Council, the NFL imposed the blackouts to avoid possible antitrust sanctions. Although contracts between television networks and professional sports leagues are immune from antitrust scrutiny under a 1961 congressional exemption, a superseding 1966 law withdrew immunity for any professional football game telecast on Friday night or Saturday if any high school or college football game was being played within 75 miles of the broadcast station that same day.

The 1966 rule was part of a law exempting the NFL?Ã¥s merger with the American Football League from antitrust review. Oliva said the National Collegiate Athletic Association lobbied Congress for the Friday-Saturday ban in order to prevent the NFL from telecasting games at the same time most college and high school football games were being played.

According to Oliva, the NFL could telecast the Saturday game nationally, but doing so would open the league up to an antitrust lawsuit from any college or high school that has a game scheduled that day. The NFL can only telecast the game in the Kansas City and Miami markets if they obtain waivers from schools playing within those areas, Oliva said.

The NFL said that it would broadcast a tape-delayed version of tonight?Ã¥s game this Sunday on the league?Ã¥s cable network.

Earlier today, Oliva sent a letter to Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kan.), a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, asking the committee to reconsider the merits of the antitrust blackout rule.

singersp
10-04-2006, 07:01 AM
Delay of game decision has fans upset with team's call (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/719656.html)

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
Last update: October 03, 2006 – 10:44 PM

Geoff Reader woke up Tuesday morning with an expensive decision to make. A resident of Bedford -- yes, in England -- Reader has been a Vikings season-ticket holder since 1995.

For Sunday games, Reader typically flies to the Twin Cities on Saturday evening. He sits in section 220 at the Metrodome, cheers on the Vikings and then takes a red-eye flight back to London.

But like thousands of outstate fans who own Vikings tickets, Reader's long-booked travel plans were threatened this week when the team put into limbo Sunday's game against Detroit. The game could be played as scheduled, or it could be moved to Monday night if the Twins play Game 5 of the AL Division Series on Sunday.

Reader's options: Skip the trip, sacrificing his nonrefundable airfare as well as the cost of his game ticket. Or, more likely, Reader will purchase a one-way ticket to fly back Tuesday. His additional costs, including extra hotel time? About $600.

"That's probably money I could go without spending," Reader said Tuesday in a trans-Atlantic phone call. "But I've been a big fan for a long time."I do know that if I knew this was a possibility earlier, I could have made better plans," Reader added.

Vikings want compensation

The Vikings acknowledged the possible conflict two weeks ago but did not produce their contingency plan until late Monday night. They opted against moving the game outright, holding out hope that Game 5 will not be necessary and they can maintain their original schedule.

Financial issues also have arisen. The team has asked the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission for $450,000 to cover additional costs associated with moving the game, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. Roy Terwilliger, the commission's chairman, has said that $200,000 is a more realistic number and will lead a discussion on the matter Friday morning.

The ramifications have filtered down to fans such as Reader, who was diplomatic about his plight. Some fans, however, expressed anger that the team will not commit to a schedule. Instead, an announcement won't come until Friday or Saturday.

Others are upset because the delay has raised their costs, in the form of last-minute airfares and hotel rates, while the team is negotiating to have its own expenses covered by a public entity.

"As soon as it appeared there might be a conflict, the Vikings should have moved the game at that point," said Andrew Stead, a season-ticket holder from Calgary, Alberta. "They've got 64,000 customers, and they owe it to them to give them some certainty for their travel plans. I understand there is always the risk of a schedule change, but they're actually going to tell you on Saturday night whether the game is Sunday or Monday?

"To handle it that way is ridiculous and creates a really unrealistic expectation for fans who are traveling. To me, that's not the way to run an operation. This is not a junior varsity football game where you say the time is 'TBA.' This is supposed to be the NFL."

Game time not guaranteed

The Vikings sent out e-mail, voice-mail and postcards Tuesday to season-ticket holders, advising them of their plan. Lester Bagley, vice president of public affairs and stadium development, said: "We spent a lot of energy just trying to sort out when we were going to play. We're trying to adjust and give our fans as much notice as possible. It's a potential disruption for everyone, and we're trying the do the best we can."

The Vikings are under no obligation to provide schedule certainty. The back of each ticket warns the owner about the possibility of changing the day or time of a game. "No refunds will be provided if the ticket holder cannot attend," the disclaimer reads, in part.

Fan wants to be paid back

Cheryl Wilen of Lake Forest, Calif., understood those risks -- however minute -- when she and three friends chose Sunday's game for her annual trip to the Metrodome.

But because of the delay in rescheduling, Wilen is facing the same dilemma as Geoff Reader. If she doesn't travel, she loses about $500 -- the cost of her nonrefundable airfare and game ticket. To ensure she can attend the game, whether it is played Sunday or Monday, she will have to make an estimated $350 in changes to her travel arrangements.

"[The Vikings'] priority is to line their own pockets and how they will be compensated if the game is moved," Wilen said via e-mail. "I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Even [some] fans who live in Minnesota probably can't make a Monday night game on such short notice. ... They will be left holding the tickets or, at the very best, getting someone to buy them at a deep discount.

"Where is my compensation?"

Kevin Seifert • kseifert@startribune.com

damien927
10-04-2006, 03:55 PM
obviously, I pissed about this.... this is what I am sending in reply to that stupid email they sent the season ticket owners.



This is totally unacceptable!
I understand that the Vikings have "the right" to delay this decision as long as they want, but what about your paying customers(fans).
What happened to "the customer is always right"?
As you know season and single ticket owners travel from out of state or from as far away as Europe to attend these games.
Many of us customers will lose a lot of money because of this delayed decision because of last minute hotel and travel accomodations.
Meanwhile.... the Vikings are insuring that they don't lose a single dollar from this conflict, by filing a claim with the sports commison.
Here's my point.... while Zygi is doing the "good deed" of not making the Twins move their game, of course because it would look bad to people that may decide the new stadium issue, they intend to stick it to the very fans that support them whole-heartedly.
Don't you think that may effect voters during a tax referendum, that is, hearing even die-hard fans bad mouthing the organizations decision to "forget the fan, protect ourselves"?
A reply would be appreciated.



Sincerely,

Damien Nichols

MN Vikings season ticket owner

whackthepack
10-04-2006, 04:01 PM
It might be a moot point because the Twins have stunk in both games and it might be over in 3 if they keep playing the way they are.
Bad fielding and bad hitting have them down 0 - 1 in the series and down 5 to 2 in the second game with the Twins coming up in the 9th!

If they go down 0 - 2 in the series I doubt they come back and win the next 3 with the next 2 at Oakland.

cajunvike
10-04-2006, 04:02 PM
This issue might be a moot point...with the way that the Twinks have just stunk up the Dome for the last two games...of course, they may STILL have to play the Vikes game on Monday...just to let the stench of the steaming pile that the Twinks have laid in Games 1 and 2 dissipate!

whackthepack
10-04-2006, 04:15 PM
Twins tried to get a rally going in the 9th but came up short and they lose 5 to 2 and are down 0 - 2 in the series and I think the Vikes will wait and see if they lose on Friday then the Vikes play Sunday if they win game 3 then the Vikes will move the game to Monday.

PackSux!
10-04-2006, 08:43 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:


Found this interesting....

http://www.voluntarytrade.org/newsite/modules/news/article.php?storyid=83

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, October 21, 2005

Arlington, VA, October 21, 2005?õFor the second time in as many seasons, the National Football League will not televise a game rescheduled due to weather because of a 1966 amendment to the antitrust laws. This evening?ås matchup between the Miami Dolphins and the Kansas City Chiefs will only be telecast in five local markets in Kansas City and Miami. Last season, a rescheduled game between the Dolphins and the Tennessee Titans also faced broadcast restrictions.

According to Skip Oliva, president of the Voluntary Trade Council, the NFL imposed the blackouts to avoid possible antitrust sanctions. Although contracts between television networks and professional sports leagues are immune from antitrust scrutiny under a 1961 congressional exemption, a superseding 1966 law withdrew immunity for any professional football game telecast on Friday night or Saturday if any high school or college football game was being played within 75 miles of the broadcast station that same day.

The 1966 rule was part of a law exempting the NFL?Ã¥s merger with the American Football League from antitrust review. Oliva said the National Collegiate Athletic Association lobbied Congress for the Friday-Saturday ban in order to prevent the NFL from telecasting games at the same time most college and high school football games were being played.

According to Oliva, the NFL could telecast the Saturday game nationally, but doing so would open the league up to an antitrust lawsuit from any college or high school that has a game scheduled that day. The NFL can only telecast the game in the Kansas City and Miami markets if they obtain waivers from schools playing within those areas, Oliva said.

The NFL said that it would broadcast a tape-delayed version of tonight?Ã¥s game this Sunday on the league?Ã¥s cable network.

Earlier today, Oliva sent a letter to Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kan.), a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, asking the committee to reconsider the merits of the antitrust blackout rule.


I was working in Kansas City when that game was played and was staying at the red roof inn not far from the stadium.
That rain was unreal.
That was also the same year when Randy tore up Lambeau Field.

singersp
10-07-2006, 01:21 AM
It will be played Sunday at the Metrodome as originally scheduled.