PDA

View Full Version : johnson earned that 1.2 today

PurpleRide
10-01-2006, 04:53 PM
He was terrible at best, he lost the game for the vikings today.
Two int's, one fumble to stall a drive.
Many bad throws today.
He should know not to throw the ball over the middle with 10 seconds left in a game, he had nothing, he should have tossed it out of bounds and given the team one more shot.
When are the fans going to realize he cannot win games for this team.
I know he usually doesnt lose games, but this team needs a QB to win games. We need to score points in the beginning of a game so we can use chester taylor more efficent.
I knew from the start he was not good enough to be a starter any longer.
If this team has last years D, we would be 0-4 right now.
We are even lucky to be 2-2 right now, if it wasnt for the bone head play of the year, this team would be tied with green bay.
I hope TJ progresses much faster than anticpated or this team will be a non factor for more than just this year.
Johnson sure was a warrior today.
Thanks a bunch

skum
10-01-2006, 04:59 PM
If his recievers could catch his passes, we could be 4-0.. I agree he didnt not have a good game.. but its not all his fault dude.. He's under pressure a lot

Im just saying if we would have a go-to guy who can make plays, when he's covered too.. he would put up a lot of better numbers..

vikinggreg
10-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Where is the 100 million line, Brad did have Bills in his face and nipping at his heels all day.
Where is the dominating run game, the holes haven’t started opening with any consistency and I'm getting impatient waiting for them to gel.

Gift
10-01-2006, 05:07 PM
I don't agree with that at all.
BJ made the best of the plays that were called, WR's dropped the plays that could have been huge.
I don't see how you can blame BJ for not addressing a huge weakness in the offseason.
I would blame the entire org for this one.

Vikefanman2000
10-01-2006, 05:07 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

Many bad throws today.
He should know not to throw the ball over the middle with 10 seconds left in a game, he had nothing, he should have tossed it out of bounds and given the team one more shot.
I know he usually doesnt lose games, but this team needs a QB to win games. We need to score points in the beginning of a game so we can use chester taylor more efficent.

We are even lucky to be 2-2 right now, if it wasnt for the bone head play of the year, this team would be tied with green bay.
I hope TJ progresses much faster than anticpated or this team will be a non factor for more than just this year.
Thanks a bunch

I dont put this as much on Johnsons inability to move the team as I put it on the coaches to put in a better game plan.
I think the lack of offense has more to do with the gameplan than the talent and/or execution of the playmakers.
The Vikes showed they are capable of moving the ball (in the hurry up offense)....
I think that is partially due to the prevent defense and partially due to not being so rigid with "the plan".
These guys are football players....let them make some plays!

I understand that the days of the explosive, score at will, offense is over.... but if we are going to change to a grinding offense than we MUST do better than 3 and out for 80% of the game...
Grind it out offense means 10 to 15 down drives.
Our defense, if rested, is capable of stopping anyone.

Im rambling now....

mr.woo
10-01-2006, 05:28 PM
maybe childress will finally be man enough to hand over the play calling to the offensive cordinator. wouldnt that be crazy.

VikingsTw
10-01-2006, 05:37 PM
I think our WR's inability to catch the football has Brad not going through his porgressions, he's missed some open guys. But i refuse to put it on his shoulders, i counted them at least FIVE two handed drops today. At some point its got to take its tole. It kills drives and looses you games. Tackling and catching footballs, owe so important.

Blame the game on fred smoot...

Prophet
10-01-2006, 05:50 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

Many bad throws today.

Thanks a bunch

You're always man enough to show up and spout off about your genius when something goes your way.
You have been a Culpepper crotch sniffer since that whole ordeal went down last offseason and have hated BJ consistently.
I'll give you credit for that, your consistency, better than some changing their allegiance with the wind.

The Vikings O looked pathetic today, sloppy, penalties galore.
The whole offense needs a swift kick in the nuts.

Ltrey33
10-01-2006, 07:02 PM
It certainly wasn't all Brad's fault. Two INTs does suck, but one was a great play by the linebacker, and if Marcus and Troy wouldn't have dropped those balls, then we would probably be 3-1 right now. He didn't play great, I'll give you that, but he had guys in his face all day and was on the wrong end of some dropped passes. You can't blame it all on Brad.

DeathtoDenny
10-01-2006, 07:34 PM
I put the blame on Childress and our overpaid O line. The Bills have a smaller D-line that should have been dominated by Birk, Hutchinson and McKinnie (who takes plays off ala Moss). As for Childress, he's trying to be Andy Reid and be the tough guy play caller. Maybe it's time to retool the O-line coaching and playcalling and get some TDs and stop passing every opportunity at getting a wide reciever to help us out (Branch, Lelie, Morgan, Porter). If we had just kept Linnehan......

VikesfaninWis
10-01-2006, 09:46 PM
In all fairness to BJ, if Marcus Johnson didn't have a false start penalty on him when we were going for the 2 point conversion, things may have been different..

If they would have got the 2 point conversion, we would have been down by a FG.. That last drive would have put us in to position to tie the game and send it into overtime.. Instead, we have to go for a TD..

It all comes down to penalties.. We have had way to many this season so far.. Also, if Mr. Trash talking I can't back my mouth up Fred Smoot would have made that tackle like any other DB would have on Peerless Price where Price was pretty much on the turf when he got there, then we are talking about 4 less points..

I wouldn't be so quick to put this loss on BJ's shoulders as I would the penalties, and the piss poor tackling.. Our defense played like crap today, and our offense sucked.. Yet we lost by 5 points, not to bad after the game they played..

davike
10-01-2006, 10:17 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

Many bad throws today.

Thanks a bunch

hmnm i was seriously considering the ignore button for the first time...so tell me, genious, if you know so much about BJ, who do you think should be starting for this team that is or was within our reach? or would you rather have culpepper back? there is no way that you can blame all our short comings on offense on BJ, who has been consistent...not putting up monster numbers but still very consistent. yeah he has made some mistakes but what QB doesn't make some mistakes? he has been one of the most consistent under rated QBs that play still or all time for that matter. so tell me who you would have starting that is or was within our reach...pleeeeese enlighten us all!!! the mistakes have been made by alot of different ppl on the offensive side of the ball not just BJ.

Vikes_King
10-01-2006, 10:48 PM
We need to score points in the beginning of a game so we can use chester taylor more efficent.

while we havnt scored TD's enough, we have scored on our 1st drive really well, just seem to lack afterwards

johnson is a stud.. he's consistantly played well, while i do think the first INT probably could have been prevented, the 2nd was just a plain good play by the D.

watch brad as he's being hit, he had a big completion today while being hit, last week he threw a big pass while falling backwards, 2 weeks ago he threw left handed for a first down...

our offense as a whole needs to still get it together.. ecspecially our butterfinger recievers

brad stays

PurpleRide
10-02-2006, 08:33 AM
One thread is all about smoot playing like crap and he needs to be cut, then people stand up for brad here?
Smoot and windfield played bad yesterday, both gave up too many yards and both had problems getting their man on the turf.
But to stand up for a QB that cannot hit the deep pass, cannot convert the third downs until the fourth quarter, throws the ball down the middle with 10 seconds left in the game, is over my head.
I do not want any former QB back here, I think both are having bad years.
That being said, if this team was playing this bad on offence with culpepper as the QB, the bench pep chant would be all over the place.
Johnson deserves what he is getting until he can put up the numbers that others are.
He needs more than 2 td passes in 4 games, he needs to put the ball in the endzone before the fourth quarter.
How many times before the TD catch did he attempt to throw the ball in the endzone?
Thats not all coaching.
If you want to talk him up like he is the second coming, I would expect him to put up the numbers.
Numbers do matter, TD passes do matter.
This team will not win by kicking field goals.

Zeus
10-02-2006, 08:45 AM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

One thread is all about smoot playing like crap and he needs to be cut, then people stand up for brad here?
Smoot and windfield played bad yesterday, both gave up too many yards and both had problems getting their man on the turf.

Winfield was all over the field, making big tackles and forcing outside runs inside.
He did not have a bad game yesterday.

=Z=

Benet
10-02-2006, 08:52 AM
Brad Johnson shouldn't be benched. Frankly you're talking rubbish, Purple. Who would go in to replace him? Brooks Bollinger?! Do me a favour.. The simple fact is this team plays on a knife-edge. EVERYTHING is magnified because there's such a small margin-of-error. We haven't conceded more than 16 points in a game this season, and when the points totals are as low as that every scoring opportunity becomes even more important than it would for someone like the Bengals or Colts (who can seemingly score at will). You can't blame Brad Johnson for the number of dropped balls by Williamson and Marcus Robinson. There were 2 HUGE drops last night, one by Williamson on a broken third-down that went right through his arms, in a reply of what happened in Washington, and Marcus Robinson wide-open down the right sideline, another pass that goes straight through the receiver's hands. Unless you want to try and convince me that it was BJ's fault he didn't make the pass easier to catch you should get a grip.

Prophet
10-02-2006, 09:54 AM
This is the closest I have ever come to agreeing with you, but I still don't.
Not that you care or read any comments addressing your comments anyway.

"PurpleRide" wrote:

Smoot's play has been questionable, when opposing teams look at him as the weakest link in coverage and successfully work him over it is easy to see.
Winfield appeared to be playing tough.
The defense gave up a bunch of yards but they have also kept the pt production to an average of 16 pts per game.
I would say that's not too shabby.

But to stand up for a QB that cannot hit the deep pass, cannot convert the third downs until the fourth quarter, throws the ball down the middle with 10 seconds left in the game, is over my head.

I've seen him hit the deep pass and have seen the passes dropped.
Their inability to convert 3rd downs is a problem that I would put on the whole offense and coaching staff.
I also was wondering WTF they were doing passing to McMuffin in the middle of the field with no timeouts left.
I was also wondering why the only time they could move the ball was in the opening drive and when the time was expiring.
Spread the field more, they can do it, why don't they?
Do they like to play idol and wait until the pressure is on before trying to win the game?
I don't get it.

That being said, if this team was playing this bad on offence with culpepper as the QB, the bench pep chant would be all over the place.

You almost had me, you do care.
Until you get over your Culpepper crotch sniffing it will be tough for you to see what is going on in the game.
Culpepper would have been torn up if he was still here.
He can't even perform against the bottom-feeder teams in the league this year.
Johnson has not been a hero either and the fingers will begin to point to him when/if it is time.

Johnson deserves what he is getting until he can put up the numbers that others are.
He needs more than 2 td passes in 4 games, he needs to put the ball in the endzone before the fourth quarter.
How many times before the TD catch did he attempt to throw the ball in the endzone?
Thats not all coaching.

He does have to start putting up better numbers.
The receivers could help him out a little too.
So could the running game and play calling.
There are problems with the offense, anyone can see that.
Is it BJ?
Maybe partially his fault.
Would your hero be doing any better?
No way.

If you want to talk him up like he is the second coming, I would expect him to put up the numbers.
Numbers do matter, TD passes do matter.
This team will not win by kicking field goals.

I have yet to see anyone talk about BJ beiing the second coming, but you like to mention that in your posts.
Review the history, it's not that complicated.
Culpepper wanted out, he left.
The Vikings used a high pick for Tarvaris Jackson and solidified some other areas of the team.
Brad Johnson was already on the roster and the Vikings needed someone to train Tarvaris up and buy time after their franchise QB went psycho on them.
Some are thankful that BJ was on the roster because of the given situation.
He can fill a role until the next guy comes into that role.
Simple process.
Who do you want to QB?
Bollinger?
Henson?
O'Sullivan?
McMahon?
It's a relative comparison.
Given the situation that the Vikings are in BJ is the best option for now.

Zeus
10-02-2006, 10:32 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

This is the closest I have ever come to agreeing with you, but I still don't.
Not that you care or read any comments addressing your comments anyway.

You almost had me, you do care.
Until you get over your Culpepper crotch sniffing it will be tough for you to see what is going on in the game.
Culpepper would have been torn up if he was still here.
He can't even perform against the bottom-feeder teams in the league this year.
Johnson has not been a hero either and the fingers will begin to point to him when/if it is time.

Thats not all coaching.

He does have to start putting up better numbers.
The receivers could help him out a little too.
So could the running game and play calling.
There are problems with the offense, anyone can see that.
Is it BJ?
Maybe partially his fault.
Would your hero be doing any better?
No way.

Culpepper lost to HOUSTON yesterday, for God's sake.
If that doesn't show folks what a stiff he is, I don't know what will.

=Z=

marantzo
10-02-2006, 10:41 AM
BJ certainly didn't have a good game. There were reasons for it. The cardinal reason is that the Bills rushers were in his face all day. On seemingly every play. I figured before this game that our line had the advantage and that the nprotection would be the difference, because when Brad has any time he eats you up. But it was the opposite and BJ seemed to lose his cool which isn't a common thing for him. That one int was a bad one. Just a sign that he was trying to force things. Something that is uncharacteristic. And too make a bad situation worse, Brad made some good, deep throws when he was almost on his back and they were dropped. He's probably one of the most focused and level-headed QB's in the league, but he's human and those things can't help but affect you. And there is nothing wrong with Taylor. When he was stuffed, there were a host of players on him as soon as he got the ball. When he had the least opening he made the best of it. In my eyes he keeps making 2 yard gains into 5-6 yard gains when it looks like he will be stopped. He's a very good back and could use better production from the O line.

What disturbed me the most, outside of the avalnche of miscues, was our inability to cover their recievers. We even got lucky with some bad passes and some dropped ball on their part. They were open all day. And when we had INT's within grasp, we didn't grasp them.

On the up side our D line played very well as usual and kept us in the game.

If we can play that badly and still have a shot then if we ever get firing on all cylinders, we should be able to take charge and not make every game a life threatening situation for the fans with heart problems.

Zeus
10-02-2006, 10:45 AM
"marantzo" wrote:

BJ certainly didn't have a good game. There were reasons for it. The cardinal reason is that the Bills rushers were in his face all day.

Say what?
The Bills didn't record a single sack, and I only recall one time that they were even close - and that's being in his face all day?

=Z=

davike
10-02-2006, 11:02 AM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"marantzo" wrote:

BJ certainly didn't have a good game. There were reasons for it. The cardinal reason is that the Bills rushers were in his face all day.

Say what?
The Bills didn't record a single sack, and I only recall one time that they were even close - and that's being in his face all day?

=Z=

there was a few times when they were really close as in BJ threw over their shoulder as he got ground into the turf. yeah i agree they didn't put a lot of pressure on BJ all the time but enough to make him feel uncomfortable.

PurpleRide
10-02-2006, 01:54 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"PurpleRide" wrote:

Winfield was all over the field, making big tackles and forcing outside runs inside.

=Z=

I can recall more than a few third and longs completed with windfield covering the guy.

Zeus
10-02-2006, 02:07 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

"AWZeus" wrote:

"PurpleRide" wrote:

=Z=

I can recall more than a few third and longs completed with windfield covering the guy.

Were those in man-to-man coverage or in zone?
Take your time - because it's a really important distinction.

Do you also recall Winfield forcing McGahee inside on several outside runs?
Do you recall his upending of McGahee (when the announcers stupidly gave the credit to Thomas because he hit him while Willis was in the air)?
Do you recall Winfield making special-teams tackles while Freddy Smoot sits on the sidelines because he's not trusted to make those tackles?

I do.

=Z=

PurpleRide
10-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Steve McNair is putting up some nice numbers for a 4-0 team, he was availible.
And again just to make things clear, both sides were at fault for losing the franchise QB.
Both sides acted like children.
I know certain fans like to place blame on certain players and cuddle to the next, but to think johnson is not at fault is pathetic.
No one has responded to my statement if the former QB was doing the same as our "starter" is doing now the bench chants would be all over the place.
I do think bolinger is a better QB than bowman, people here thought he should have started back in 03 when pep was having trouble scoring points.
If anyone can move the ball better than this guy we have now, they deserve to start.
I dont think the vikings could get much worse on offence than how they are doing now.
Johnson missed many open recievers sunday, at least the FOX station in mankato was showing that.

Prophet
10-02-2006, 02:23 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

Steve McNair is putting up some nice numbers for a 4-0 team, he was availible.
And again just to make things clear, both sides were at fault for losing the franchise QB.
Both sides acted like children.
I know certain fans like to place blame on certain players and cuddle to the next, but to think johnson is not at fault is pathetic.
No one has responded to my statement if the former QB was doing the same as our "starter" is doing now the bench chants would be all over the place.
I do think bolinger is a better QB than bowman, people here thought he should have started back in 03 when pep was having trouble scoring points.
If anyone can move the ball better than this guy we have now, they deserve to start.
I dont think the vikings could get much worse on offence than how they are doing now.
Johnson missed many open recievers sunday, at least the FOX station in mankato was showing that.

Do you even read the responses to your posts and the threads on this board?
WTF is wrong with you?
It is pointless to respond to your posts because you ignore the responses.
I responded to your last post one page back and it was ignored.

McNair would have been a nice pickup, but like I mentioned in another thread today the timeline was off for that transaction.

Del Rio
10-02-2006, 02:31 PM
I can honestly say yes if DC had the numbers Brad had now, people would be calling to bench him. I wouldn't say that before yesterday, but after his two int's yes people would want him benched.

Should he be benched? Absolutely not.

Del Rio
10-02-2006, 02:35 PM
"davike" wrote:

"AWZeus" wrote:

"marantzo" wrote:

Say what?

=Z=

there was a few times when they were really close as in BJ threw over their shoulder as he got ground into the turf. yeah i agree they didn't put a lot of pressure on BJ all the time but enough to make him feel uncomfortable.

No doubt. They were attacking the pocket and were definatley in his face. A key stat I predicted last week was tipped passes, by those big tall DE's. Well we had 4 tipped balls. 2 on third downs and one caused an interception. The offensive line should have been instructed to keep thos guyses hands down. It helps to mix in a few cut blocks now and then.

davike
10-02-2006, 02:43 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"PurpleRide" wrote:

=Z=

i agree zeus, winfield wasn't bad....so far winfield winfield is the best defensive player so far for us, at least thats what i think, you rarely catch him out of position and he doesn't make many mistakes. plus he has at least one pick (he should have had more but w/e). he leads the team and is 13 in the league with 33 tackles. i wouldn't be complaining about winfield right now...he is the least of our worries.

davike
10-02-2006, 03:04 PM
to purpleride: hey i think you should seriously listen to prophet, he is exactly right. when you posted this thread. i asked you a question in one of my posts. if you don't think that BJ is doing the best that he can or the best of anyone that we have available to us, then tell us all who should be starting. pleeeeaaasssee enlighten us. or mabe you think that daunte culpepper would be doing a better job then BJ. i am going to post some BJ/daunte culpepper stats once i get them. but please just answer me, i really want to learn
::)

PurplePeopleEaters
10-02-2006, 03:15 PM
"Del" wrote:

I can honestly say yes if DC had the numbers Brad had now, people would be calling to bench him. I wouldn't say that before yesterday, but after his two int's yes people would want him benched.

Should he be benched? Absolutely not.

That's for a few reasons. The way brad played in the first 3 games is exactly what we expected brad to play like. Given, he had a bad game yesterday but barring that we expected a low risk pocket passer who didnt put up big stats.

Culpepper is expected to have 4 TD games every time and have the offense centered around him.

If either QB played this way they wouldnt deserve to be benched. Vikes fans, we go through this EVERY YEAR. we have some tough losses going into the bye week (or after the bye week with tice) and everything goes to hell. Things will get better. Stop throwing in the towel now.

davike
10-02-2006, 03:21 PM
BRAD JOHNSON:
James Bradley Johnson (born September 13, 1968 in Marietta, Georgia) is an American football player. He is quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings in the NFL. Brad played at Florida State University and Charles D. Owen High School in Black Mountain, North Carolina. He was a high school All-American in Football and Basketball.

He is widely acclaimed for leading the Tampa Bay Buccaneers past the Oakland Raiders in a 48-21 rout during Super Bowl XXXVII in 2003 where he threw for 2 touchdowns and over 200 yards.

He led the Buccaneers to their very first Super Bowl and also has one of the top 20 career passer ratings in NFL history. Brad Johnson holds a 67-44 career record as a starter, currently the 3rd best win-loss ratio among active QBs with over 50 starting games. He has also connected on over 60% of his passes for last 10 straight seasons, the first quarterback in NFL history to do this[3] (Joe Montana & Steve Young previously held the record with eight straight seasons).

He has been twice selected to Pro Bowl: in 1999 and 2002. In 2003 he was named to USA Today's All-Joe team which recognizes the NFL's most unsung players.

He has eclipsed the 3,000-yard passing mark five times. In 1999, he became only the second Washington Redskin in franchise history to eclipse 4,000 yards. He had the top passer rating in the NFC in 2002 and he has earned NFC Offensive Player of the Week honors 7 times in his career. He has also broken almost every passer record at Tampa Bay. To date, Brad Johnson is the only NFL quarterback to have thrown a touchdown pass to himself.[4] Against the Carolina Panthers in 1997, Johnson caught his deflected pass and ran three yards for a touchdown.

In 2003 he won the NFL's "Quarterback Challenge" competition, in which he beat Pro Bowl QBs Tom Brady, Matt Hasselbeck, Jeff Garcia, Mark Brunell, Marc Bulger and others like Byron Leftwich and Joey Harrington in a skills competition with four parts involving accuracy, speed and mobility, long distance throw, and "No Huddle."[5] Former teammate Sean Salisbury said that despite having big, strong arms and a great deep ball, Brad always played it safe and went for the fast and easy completion which earned him the nickname "Checkdown Charlie" among friends.[6]

DAUNTE CULPEPPER: so far is 38-43 as a starter has some big numbers but hmm i guess that doesn't produce wins

NFL Statistics

Year Team Passing Yards TD INT Rating
1999 MIN 0 0 0 --
2000 MIN 3937 33 16 98.0
2001 MIN 2612 14 13 83.3
2002 MIN 3853 18 23 75.3
2003 MIN 3479 25 11 96.4
2004 MIN 4717 39 11 110.9
2005 MIN 1564 6 12 72.0
2006 MIA 512 1 3 69.2â€

marantzo
10-02-2006, 05:36 PM
...if the former QB was doing the same as our "starter" is doing now the bench chants would be all over the place.

If Culpepper were doing the same as Brad is doing now, Daunte would be doing better than he did last year so it would be a sign of improvement for Daunte. Why would we want to bench him.

vikinggreg
10-02-2006, 06:47 PM
I love both the previous posts, if DC was doing what Brad is it would be an improvement

And "Checkdown Charlie" is a great nickname for Brad, its not quite the Snake like Stabler ( or Plummer for the younger crowd ) but does fit is All-Joe team image.

I remember shortly after the Vikes gave him his first big contract there was a picture of Brad celebrating by chowing down a cheeseburger in the paper.

Keep him in, fix up the line ( keep hearing they are so close ), WR's hold onto the ball ( could it be the new jerseys are too slippery ) and add some chocolate sauce to the damn vanilla play calling

would like to see this for the stomping of the motorcity kitties next week ;D ;D

PurpleRide
10-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Wow, its funny how this offence can be at a standstill and its no fault at all of the
QB.
Just completely funny.
He is not a top 15 QB any more, he cannot score touchdowns and he has proven that so far.
Unless i am watching a different game
Maybe i should contact my local station and ask to get the vikings on tv.
Last I checked we have 2 count them 2 TD passes in 4 games, is that acceptable?
If anyone thinks we are going to the playoffs with that type of offence, you are kididng yourself.
Your kidding yourself if you think 2TD passes in 4 games will push this team to a playoff spot.
Oh maybe its McKinnie's fault, he was on the boat last year.
Is it really OK that the QB wont even attempt to hit the endzone.
Any QB will have a higher completion percentage when throwing the ball for 5 yards 8 out of ten times.
This team needs a QB that will take a chance a risk to get 6 instead of 3 every time.

I am concerned about this year, not what happend in the past.
Last I checked I am a Vikings fan, not a packer fan.
Only packer fans talk about how great someone once was, johnson was good, he is not any longer.
I would take number of QB's just in the NFC over johnson.
Sad when our QB is the third best in the NFC north.
I know johnson will do better when we start playing the crap teams again just like last year, then all the johnson "crotch sniffers" can run their mouths about how great he is beating up on the lions and other equal teams.
Ain't no stopping us now every time we play the lions, thats for sure.

There were good QB's out there, childress settled on johnson, he did not choose him.

I do remember all the blame last year was on DC, not the coaching, the line,
or the WR, now it kinda seems thats were people here are pointing the fingers, wow what a difference a year makes.

Oh i know, its Reds fault the offence is terrible this year, sorry everyone i found the real reason.
Lets all go to texas and get him back, he took johnsons ability

WI-ULT-MOSS-FAN
10-02-2006, 06:54 PM
How about this, score points.
The "best" left side in all the NFL, then use it!! I think we will be seeing T-Jack sooner than later and we will be happy!!!! Sure Williamson needs catch the ball but maybe he does not need to catch a potential game winner week in and week out.
Run the F-ing ball and set up the pass its not that hard...is it??

bobbybryant101
10-02-2006, 07:06 PM
whoa Chet, let's not take this thing too far. Yesterday's game was UGLY, the offense was inept to say the least, but it's still early in the season. For one thing, winning in Buffalo wasn't going to be easy, nor will it be for any other visiting team. Yeah, we could be 0-4, we could be 4-0, we're 2-2 after 4 pretty tough outings. The positives? Everyone know's what our offensive issues are, we have the Lions then a bye to make it right, and I believe we will. Just about everything is new with this offense, could take 5 to 6 games to get things clicking. In regard to Daunte? He's a great talent, but he seriously regressed, possibly to the point of no return.
The Vikes see themselves in a must win vs. Detroit, don't be surprised when Bradley connects for 3 td's.
WAR VIKES.

davike
10-02-2006, 07:24 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

Wow, its funny how this offence can be at a standstill and its no fault at all of the
QB.
Just completely funny.
He is not a top 15 QB any more, he cannot score touchdowns and he has proven that so far.
If anyone thinks we are going to the playoffs with that type of offence, you are kididng yourself.
Your kidding yourself if you think 2TD passes in 4 games will push this team to a playoff spot.
Any QB will have a higher completion percentage when throwing the ball for 5 yards 8 out of ten times.
This team needs a QB that will take a chance a risk to get 6 instead of 3 every time.

Only packer fans talk about how great someone once was, johnson was good, he is not any longer.

I know johnson will do better when we start playing the crap teams again just like last year, then all the johnson "crotch sniffers" can run their mouths about how great he is beating up on the lions and other equal teams.

There were good QB's out there, childress settled on johnson, he did not choose him.

or the WR, now it kinda seems thats were people here are pointing the fingers, wow what a difference a year makes.

Oh i know, its Reds fault the offence is terrible this year, sorry everyone i found the real reason.

man i am dissapointed in you... first of all you never really told us who you think should be starting for us. second, none of us ever said it wasn't any of brads fault. yeah he is somewhat to blame, but a new QB is not the key to success for this offense. you want a guy that takes risks well mabe we should get daunte back he took risk in and out of the endzone didn't matter how many guys were covering the intended reciever, he threw it to him anyways, and what happened? well he got picked off about a million times a game,
alot of his picks he wasn't even pressured at all. BJ is the best we got, there may be guys out there who could run the offense better, but none are available to us so why don't you stop typing all this crap and realize that. and also you should check out the replies u get from these last string of anti-Johnson posts and maybe you will see that hardly any ppl agree with you. yeah i wish BJ would do some things better but he is the best we have available and he is a good QB that still makes solid decisions and typically he makes very accurate throws. last week im hoping he just had a bad week. because his play other weeks tell me that he can do better and he still can lead an offense to victory.

SlowPLay
10-02-2006, 07:34 PM
Hello all, long time Vikings fan here

I dont think all the blame can be placed on BJ. I dont think he makes the calls, especially the last play of the game. He doesnt have alot of time to throw the ball, and when the line cant open holes for the run, the passing game will be affected.

If you want to point fingers, i think it should be at the offensive line, or the play calling.

ultravikingfan
10-02-2006, 07:49 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

QB.
Just completely funny.

How many balls were dropped?

The int's were noce plays by the defense moreso.

Whats your point?
All here are your gums flapping?

MensaTice
10-02-2006, 07:54 PM
I swear to God PurpleRide is a parody.
He isn't real.
Can't be.

Prophet
10-02-2006, 08:09 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

Wow, its funny how this offence can be at a standstill and its no fault at all of the QB.
Just completely funny.

Do you think there is anyone that doesn’t know that?
Are you still confused about how Brad Johnson became the starting QB?
Culpepper walked, you can blame it on whomever you want or you can see the timeline of events by clicking here. (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=262&Itemid=121)
Culpepper walked and Brad Johnson is the interim QB.
He was the best option available based on the new coaches objectives of solidifying the lines and filling in other needs.
Do you remember that they picked up Tarvaris Jackson as the future QB, we shall see if he works out.
Your hatred for Brad Johnson permeates your posts to the point of making you blind.
Thankfully we had Brad Johnson on the roster so we could buy time until the next quarterback is ready to play.

Could we have picked up another QB?
Who?
The only option that I saw on the table that would be possible better than Brad Johnson without trading up or paying an exorbitant amount of money was McNair.
That whole scenario played out much later (http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article.jsp?id=10313), to the tune of three months (http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/MIN/9303081) later than many of our big offseason moves.
The coaching staff was willing to go with Brad Johnson during the interim while their new QB is being prepared to take the reigns.
The scenario really isn’t that complicated.
If Brad Johnson end up being the major problem on the offense will Tarvaris be baptized by fire or do you want to see Bollinger in there?
How about Henson?
Maybe McMahon?
Bouman?
If the current management wanted another QB they would have one.
They made the big moves in other scenarios, so there’s no reason to doubt that.

You toss accusations out to all of us peasants like you are the only person that has noticed that the offense has been unproductive.
Is it Brad Johnson’s fault?
Sure, he takes some of the blame.
Is it the O-line, the play calling, the coaching?
Sure, they have to take some of the blame too.
If the future games look like last weekend’s game Brad Johnson will be scrutinized more heavily.
At this point he is serving his role as the interim minimum wage QB.

Off on one of your nonsensical tangents again because you didn’t agree with a few people that didn’t agree with the great press that was released due to the boat scandal.

No it isn’t.
There have been some tosses down the field with some balls being catchable and some not.
The O-line has been suspect, the receiving corps has been suspect and the penalties have been killing us.
They have not converted and it is a problem that the coaching staff is well aware of.
If you think for a second that you’re enlightening people on the board or the coaching staff you’re a bigger dweeb than you present yourself as.

So are most of us.
Again, why is Brad Johnson the QB?
Think about it, if you can’t come to that realization than refresh your memory by reading the few paragraphs above.

I would go as far as saying he is fourth best in the NFCN this year if you do some creative statistical manipulations.
Week 4 just ended.
The Vikings played some tough defenses to start off the year.
It is amazing to me that someone with your self-professed intelligence does not understand that we have a rookie coaches, new schemes on O and D and we are building a new team.
That doesn’t happen overnight.
Take a dose of reality.
There are plenty of realists on this site that, of course, want the Vikings to go to the playoffs this year, but they also realized before the preseason even started and any roster moves were made that it was and is a long shot in the first year of the new coaching staff’s tenure to make the playoffs.

Brad Johnson manages games and throughout his career has done just that, yes; he has a track record even though you don’t like to admit it.
In the given situation we could be much worse off at QB.
The Vikings don’t have a long-term plan to have a Dilferesque QB, which is exactly what BJ is at this juncture of his career.
Will he suffice in the meantime?
Yes, we sure hope so.

I like how you surface with a vengeance after a bad game.
Where were you hiding when the Vikings won?
They were ugly wins, but they are 2-2.
Better than some of us thought they would be at this juncture of the season.
Now you try to build in an excuse, just in case Brad Johnson plays well in any upcoming game.
Pathetic.
This is a team game and without superstars we need the team to perform as a unit, it isn’t.

Think reality here and think of the long-term plans of the team.
They have the ability to make the playoffs this year, but the realist in you (well in most people) should slap you and make you realize that the Vikings are on the road to becoming a better team than they have been in a long time, a real team, a team that has a chance of winning the SB in the near future.
That is more than can be said during the Meathead years.

Selective memory, just like you selectively read posts on this site.
Of course, there are people all over the board analyzing the team and what is causing their successes and failures.
Try to address specific people’s comments like you have avoided throughout this thread instead of trying to lump everyone into some cute little stereotype that exists in your head.
In this thread alone you have avoided people addressing your posts and some excellent questions (a minimum of four different posters) and then you come back with another tangent that doesn’t address any points that someone has made.

Even someone with an IQ hovering in the double-digits gets your point in almost every post you have ever made.
You despise Brad Johnson, you despise Brad Childress, and you have man-love issues for Daunte Culpepper.
Think before you post and address issues that you bring up when people respond to them and maybe, just maybe, you may be able to gain an ounce of credibility to your posts.

Deronn
10-02-2006, 08:32 PM
If Pep was playing like BJ, we would all be calling for him to be benched, ok (not really, but let's just humor Purple Ride)

That being said, who the heck do you want at QB now? TJ just had surgery. Brooks Bollinger???

Ok, so making a change at QB DOESN'T MAKE ANY %%#^#$&%# SENSE RIGHT NOW!!!! So why start this thread???? Where's the other option? The upside to your suggestion? What's the point???

I think that in all 4 games the team as a whole has shown that they have the ability to get the job done on any given day. Especially if they catch the ball and get rid of the stupid penalties on both sides of the ball!

I'm not saying we are a powerhouse team, but if we played consistently we have the talent to compete with a majority of the teams out there. We still need to just put it all together. We HAVEN'T done that yet because of all the changes we've had to our team (already been listed, no need for me to list them again.) No reason for anyone's head just yet...

stjmnsota
10-02-2006, 09:15 PM
I admit I began warming up a big plate of crow as I watched BJ perform Sunday.
But looking closer, where was the running game?
The first two games of the year I couldn't believe the Vikes stuck to the run as long as they did, but seen how it wore down the defense, eventually opening up the offense. So why did they abandon so quickly when the Vikes O matched up so well with Buffalo D?
That is the biggest mistake of the game.

Second major mistake was smoots tackling. I watched him try to shirt tackle (and miss) way too many times that day.

Third, where are all the dink and dunk passes that the WCO is suppose to be all about?
That is what BJ does best.
Yes he made some horrible throws but he never looked frustrated like our previous QB did.

Bigger yet, our receivers need to catch those fricking balls when they hit them in the hands.
I will give M Rob that last drop. It would have been a spectacular catch and a lot of luck to pull that one in. But it has been done.

Defense played very well all in all with a few missed tackles and penalties costing big.

Final word.
RUN THE BALL, DINK AND DUNK PASSES, CATCH THE BALL, WRAP UP TACKLES, LIMIT PENALTIES.

Brad has some responsibility in this loss, but the WHOLE team COACHES includes blew this one.
The offense needs to be opened up just a bit more if they aren't going to run the ball like they say they have committed, too.

I put the crow back in the frig for now.

bRiNg_iN_ThE_hOrNs
10-02-2006, 09:31 PM
It's the 4th fricken week of the season, with a team that has been almost completely madeover. The boys have done damn good considering. The minute they lose 2 games someone wants to jump up and yell for BJ to be benched, as if he's the whole team. He's behind a line that is still learning to work with one another, and his recievers aren't catching the balls they should. It takes two to complete a pass. If a lot of those balls weren't thrown well, then yes it would be his fault, but the fact is Johnson is throwing balls to them that they just plain let slip through their hands. Our defense has been awesome but they had a bad day yesterday. The whole team played poorly and that's that. We've had a tough schedule, we've won some and lost some, and I believe that our guys are going to improve as the season goes on.

And as far as you(purple ride) comparing BJ to Fumblepepper, there IS no comparison. I don't see the fins fairing real well with him as QB. Why aren't you ripping on him?

davike
10-02-2006, 09:37 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"PurpleRide" wrote:

Wow, its funny how this offence can be at a standstill and its no fault at all of the QB.
Just completely funny.

Do you think there is anyone that doesn’t know that?
Are you still confused about how Brad Johnson became the starting QB?
Culpepper walked, you can blame it on whomever you want or you can see the timeline of events by clicking here. (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=262&Itemid=121)
Culpepper walked and Brad Johnson is the interim QB.
He was the best option available based on the new coaches objectives of solidifying the lines and filling in other needs.
Do you remember that they picked up Tarvaris Jackson as the future QB, we shall see if he works out.
Your hatred for Brad Johnson permeates your posts to the point of making you blind.
Thankfully we had Brad Johnson on the roster so we could buy time until the next quarterback is ready to play.

Could we have picked up another QB?
Who?
The only option that I saw on the table that would be possible better than Brad Johnson without trading up or paying an exorbitant amount of money was McNair.
That whole scenario played out much later (http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article.jsp?id=10313), to the tune of three months (http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/MIN/9303081) later than many of our big offseason moves.
The coaching staff was willing to go with Brad Johnson during the interim while their new QB is being prepared to take the reigns.
The scenario really isn’t that complicated.
If Brad Johnson end up being the major problem on the offense will Tarvaris be baptized by fire or do you want to see Bollinger in there?
How about Henson?
Maybe McMahon?
Bouman?
If the current management wanted another QB they would have one.
They made the big moves in other scenarios, so there’s no reason to doubt that.

You toss accusations out to all of us peasants like you are the only person that has noticed that the offense has been unproductive.
Is it Brad Johnson’s fault?
Sure, he takes some of the blame.
Is it the O-line, the play calling, the coaching?
Sure, they have to take some of the blame too.
If the future games look like last weekend’s game Brad Johnson will be scrutinized more heavily.
At this point he is serving his role as the interim minimum wage QB.

Off on one of your nonsensical tangents again because you didn’t agree with a few people that didn’t agree with the great press that was released due to the boat scandal.

No it isn’t.
There have been some tosses down the field with some balls being catchable and some not.
The O-line has been suspect, the receiving corps has been suspect and the penalties have been killing us.
They have not converted and it is a problem that the coaching staff is well aware of.
If you think for a second that you’re enlightening people on the board or the coaching staff you’re a bigger dweeb than you present yourself as.

So are most of us.
Again, why is Brad Johnson the QB?
Think about it, if you can’t come to that realization than refresh your memory by reading the few paragraphs above.

I would go as far as saying he is fourth best in the NFCN this year if you do some creative statistical manipulations.
Week 4 just ended.
The Vikings played some tough defenses to start off the year.
It is amazing to me that someone with your self-professed intelligence does not understand that we have a rookie coaches, new schemes on O and D and we are building a new team.
That doesn’t happen overnight.
Take a dose of reality.
There are plenty of realists on this site that, of course, want the Vikings to go to the playoffs this year, but they also realized before the preseason even started and any roster moves were made that it was and is a long shot in the first year of the new coaching staff’s tenure to make the playoffs.

Brad Johnson manages games and throughout his career has done just that, yes; he has a track record even though you don’t like to admit it.
In the given situation we could be much worse off at QB.
The Vikings don’t have a long-term plan to have a Dilferesque QB, which is exactly what BJ is at this juncture of his career.
Will he suffice in the meantime?
Yes, we sure hope so.

I like how you surface with a vengeance after a bad game.
Where were you hiding when the Vikings won?
They were ugly wins, but they are 2-2.
Better than some of us thought they would be at this juncture of the season.
Now you try to build in an excuse, just in case Brad Johnson plays well in any upcoming game.
Pathetic.
This is a team game and without superstars we need the team to perform as a unit, it isn’t.

Think reality here and think of the long-term plans of the team.
They have the ability to make the playoffs this year, but the realist in you (well in most people) should slap you and make you realize that the Vikings are on the road to becoming a better team than they have been in a long time, a real team, a team that has a chance of winning the SB in the near future.
That is more than can be said during the Meathead years.

Selective memory, just like you selectively read posts on this site.
Of course, there are people all over the board analyzing the team and what is causing their successes and failures.
Try to address specific people’s comments like you have avoided throughout this thread instead of trying to lump everyone into some cute little stereotype that exists in your head.
In this thread alone you have avoided people addressing your posts and some excellent questions (a minimum of four different posters) and then you come back with another tangent that doesn’t address any points that someone has made.

Even someone with an IQ hovering in the double-digits gets your point in almost every post you have ever made.
You despise Brad Johnson, you despise Brad Childress, and you have man-love issues for Daunte Culpepper.
Think before you post and address issues that you bring up when people respond to them and maybe, just maybe, you may be able to gain an ounce of credibility to your posts.

man...since i have been here i have been impressed with you...you know how to tell it straight and hard, and the fact that you know what your talking about is great bonus. i have replied every post that purplerider has posted on BJ i think, and he just does not listen. he refuses to embrace reallity and the truth. mabe he is sent by the packers to try and bring us all down :o ha good post again man, keep up the good work prophet

PurplePeopleEaters
10-02-2006, 09:42 PM
That's because prophet is level headed and rational.. Oh and he's all knowing or omniscient considering that he's a prophet.
;D