PDA

View Full Version : Williamson is killing us!

TheKnuck
10-01-2006, 03:47 PM
two 1st down's for sure dropped thus far!
he cannot catch a ball for his life when the pressure is on. i am so pissed right now.

RandyMoss8404
10-01-2006, 03:54 PM
What's so sad to me is that Brad Johnson seems to legitimately have faith in him, and continues to throw the ball up to him to let him make a play.

It's disheartening.

MaddenVodkaAddict
10-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Marcus Robinson = mvp of offense.

RandyMoss8404
10-01-2006, 04:18 PM
"MaddenVodkaAddict" wrote:

Still think so?

Eyedea
10-01-2006, 04:36 PM
He is the perfect example of why you don't draft a guy in the top ten based on his 40 time.
So he can run by people, but he has to actuall catch the ball...

I remember his highlight film and saw him take a ton of short passes and score on long runs.
Where did that Williamson go?

ultravikingfan
10-01-2006, 04:37 PM
"MaddenVodkaAddict" wrote:

For what, not coming up with that catch?

Anybody who did not have their head in their arse is the MVP!

davike
10-01-2006, 04:40 PM
i have been dissapointed as well with williamsons play when there is any pressure, he needs to mature and settle down. he is prob only about 50/50 when there is pressure and that needs to improve if he is going be the playmaker and standout WR we want him to be. he has made some decent plays but nothing that sets him apart at all. i would say we need to get marcus robinson in there more, yeah he dropped that pass, but hey how many times has the guy come down with a important catch, i
like t taylor to, i would say he was a pretty good pick up last year. i would say we need to give troy some more time to develop into a good WR

VikesfaninWis
10-01-2006, 04:44 PM
Todays game is the perfect example why we need a true #1 WR.. TW is dropping way to many crucial passes..

All fairness to M-Rob, that ball was not thrown very well for how open he was.. If BJ could have hit Robinson on the run, we could have won that game..

PurplePeopleEaters
10-01-2006, 04:45 PM
After spending a lot of the game in the live chat, I am seriously dissapointed by most of you vikings fans. Yes, Williamson dropped some balls. No, he hasn't been the greatest asset on the team.. but cmon people. After he had a game saving catch against carolina everyone was all over his jock like he was *GASP* Randy Moss.

You people have to stay true to what you say. I support Williamson. I think he can frankly do better than what he's given us but that doesn't mean I'm going to turn my back on him and say that we should trade him for Jerry Porter like some in the live chat said.

That is pathetic people. If some of these people had their way, Jerry Porter would be our starting Wide Reciever, Tarvaris Jackson would be throwing the ball away every play with a broken leg, and Adimchinobe would be starting at running back. Give me a break people.

Gift
10-01-2006, 04:48 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

After spending a lot of the game in the live chat, I am seriously dissapointed by most of you vikings fans. Yes, Williamson dropped some balls. No, he hasn't been the greatest asset on the team.. but cmon people. After he had a game saving catch against carolina everyone was all over his jock like he was *GASP* Randy Moss.

You can be dissapointed all you like m8, that won't make t-will a good wr.
I havent changed my opinion from the first 3rd down drop he made in week 1.
Good players don't f-up on 3rd down.
The guys a bum.

Redmption
10-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Everyone seems to forget this is his first year starting and put into the #1 WR spot. All experts agree it takes about 3 years for a WR to fully blossum. Give him some time. Its only the 4th game of the season... The real problem with this team right now is tackling...

Vikefanman2000
10-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Drew Hensons mission this week should be throwing about 10,000 balls to Williamson....
I honestly believe that you can teach a man to catch the ball....you cannot teach the speed.
He will be fine...with some time.

IMHO, they need to put him into a better situation to succeed.
Maybe he isnt ready for some of the complexed routes yet....
stick to short crossing patterns and pick up the YAC....
and occasionally the deep ball down the sideline....
nothing else....at least yet.

Eyedea
10-01-2006, 04:58 PM
"Redmption" wrote:

Everyone seems to forget this is his first year starting and put into the #1 WR spot. All experts agree it takes about 3 years for a WR to fully blossum. Give him some time. Its only the 4th game of the season... The real problem with this team right now is tackling...

Your right, but his main problem is catching the ball.
Isn't that the most basic thing a reciever needs to do?
It would be one thing if he was struggling to run good routes or fighting for extra yards or something, but its catching the ball.

He still has time, but right now, I am disapointed.

kansas_man54
10-01-2006, 05:00 PM
everybody has a bad game here and there.
today was very sloppy for the most part.
twill seems to drop a couple key receptions in every game, on the other hand...he does make some key receptions.
as pissed off as i get when it happens and no matter how much cussin' i dish out...i'm still gonna' stand behind him with my support.
just gonna' take some time for everything to start clicking.

TheKnuck
10-01-2006, 05:02 PM
i haven't given up by far, it's just so frustrating when we keep throwing him the pill when he keeps dropping them on 3rd down.
is it going to hurt to throw at wiggy every once in a while??
spread it around for christ sake, we did today, but too late in the game.
our tackling is not the problem, it is our OFFENSE.
we keep running routes short of the 1st down, can't give bJ the time he needs.
hell, we look like the bears offense of a few years ago.

VikingsTw
10-01-2006, 05:03 PM

You people have to stay true to what you say. I support Williamson. I think he can frankly do better than what he's given us but that doesn't mean I'm going to turn my back on him and say that we should trade him for Jerry Porter like some in the live chat said.

That is pathetic people. If some of these people had their way, Jerry Porter would be our starting Wide Reciever, Tarvaris Jackson would be throwing the ball away every play with a broken leg, and Adimchinobe would be starting at running back. Give me a break people.

The only advice i have for you is to stop going to the live chat. Its a dark tunnell without any light. I stopped going a year or two back. Too much negativity and off the wall sh*t. I agree with your post.

On the subject though TWill has a ways to go but i'm glad he's on our side. As far as i know he's a 22 or 23 year old kid with loads of talent. The guy gets open consistently and thats more than we can say about most of our WR's. He frustrates me but in the long run i think he'll be worth it.

Eyedea
10-01-2006, 05:10 PM
"TheKnuck" wrote:

i haven't given up by far, it's just so frustrating when we keep throwing him the pill when he keeps dropping them on 3rd down.
is it going to hurt to throw at wiggy every once in a while??
spread it around for christ sake, we did today, but too late in the game.
our tackling is not the problem, it is our OFFENSE.
we keep running routes short of the 1st down, can't give bJ the time he needs.
hell, we look like the bears offense of a few years ago.

I thought the same thing today... I thought to myself "since when did we become the bears on offense"...

slavinator
10-01-2006, 05:13 PM
While Williamson may be killing us, Marcus Robinson Killed us today!
That drop was critical..........

thanatoschristou
10-01-2006, 05:19 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Todays game is the perfect example why we need a true #1 WR.. TW is dropping way to many crucial passes..

All fairness to M-Rob, that ball was not thrown very well for how open he was.. If BJ could have hit Robinson on the run, we could have won that game..

If you are going to make excuses for robinson make them for Williamson.
It was a crap drop, period.
If you are that wide open you NEED to catch the ball when it hits your hands.
Johnson has to show me somthing.

Webby
10-01-2006, 05:25 PM

People will be lucky to see Live Chat open during games much longer.
Behavior is getting poor and the few will ruin it for the rest.
You should clean up your act or not expect to be allowed in Live Chat.

PurplePride80
10-01-2006, 05:26 PM

Exactly.

You guys need to be a little bit more patient, when it comes to Troy Williamson. I've also been dissapointed with his consistent drops, in several crucial situations. But most WR's don't breakout until the 3rd year in their NFL career, and Williamson didn't play much in his rookie season.

LAVike
10-01-2006, 06:17 PM
Williamson can't even catch a cold.

Hey . . . I just have high expectations for someone who gets paid a $hit load of money to do this for a living.
He's a professional football player.
He needs to be more consistent.

marshallvike
10-01-2006, 06:55 PM
"PurplePride80" wrote:

Exactly.

You guys need to be a little bit more patient, when it comes to Troy Williamson. I've also been dissapointed with his consistent drops, in several crucial situations. But most WR's don't breakout until the 3rd year in their NFL career, and Williamson didn't play much in his rookie season.

i agree.

he has had some bad drops, but he is still a kid. he's learning. if he is still doing it in two years, then we will have a problem. for now,we need to cut him some slack. he is not the reason we can't score in the red zone.

vikes_4_life_42
10-01-2006, 06:59 PM
you guys need to be patient. just because we lost a game all of the sudden its williamson's fault?? give the kid some time, he will come around. and when he does, im sure everyone will be like "oh i always liked the kid, i always knew he would be the best reciever for this team" i support williamson, and i always have. and i am really tired of everyone focusing on his mistakes, rather than the good plays hes made. its not just one players fault that we lost the game today. our team needs to work alot of things out yet, give it time. and if we quit throwing t-will the ball like some people suggested, how is he ever going to learn? it takes practice.

"PurplePride80" wrote:

Exactly.

i agree with you guys

"Gift" wrote:

The guys a bum.

as for you, you obviously havent seen the catches the guy has made. good players dont come straight from college and are just instantly good in the nfl. nobody can do that. good players get "good" after getting experience in the nfl.

thanks for listening to my opinion guys, even if you might not agree with it. have a good day!

Ltrey33
10-01-2006, 07:12 PM
"VikingsTw" wrote:

The only advice i have for you is to stop going to the live chat. Its a dark tunnell without any light. I stopped going a year or two back. Too much negativity and off the wall sh*t. I agree with your post.

On the subject though TWill has a ways to go but i'm glad he's on our side. As far as i know he's a 22 or 23 year old kid with loads of talent. The guy gets open consistently and thats more than we can say about most of our WR's. He frustrates me but in the long run i think he'll be worth it.

I was only in live chat for about 2 minutes today, but it is an emotional roller coaster, that's for sure. I think it's just kind of the nature of the beast. We all live and die with each good and bad play, and we say things like "shit!" when they do poorly and we praise them when they do well. It's kind of the knee jerk reaction that every fan feels.

I'm not sure what went on in Live Chat today, so I'm not justifying it at all, but I do know that it can be a good place to just vent your frustrations when they're not doing well.

Mr Anderson
10-01-2006, 07:12 PM
"vikes_4_life_42" wrote:

you guys need to be patient. just because we lost a game all of the sudden its williamson's fault?? give the kid some time, he will come around. and when he does, im sure everyone will be like "oh i always liked the kid, i always knew he would be the best reciever for this team" i support williamson, and i always have. and i am really tired of everyone focusing on his mistakes, rather than the good plays hes made. its not just one players fault that we lost the game today. our team needs to work alot of things out yet, give it time. and if we quit throwing t-will the ball like some people suggested, how is he ever going to learn? it takes practice.

"PurplePride80" wrote:

Exactly.

i agree with you guys

"Gift" wrote:

The guys a bum.

as for you, you obviously havent seen the catches the guy has made. good players dont come straight from college and are just instantly good in the nfl. nobody can do that. good players get "good" after getting experience in the nfl.

thanks for listening to my opinion guys, even if you might not agree with it. have a good day!

I've never liked Williamson, I've thought this way ever since we used the pick we got for Moss to pick him, I thought it was stupid to pick a rookie receiver who is less talented with a pick we got for the best receiver in the league.

He should have come around by now, WR is not really a difficult position to adjust to, especially with his speed. He runs good routes, he's fast and athletic, but his hands are very suspect, especially when he's deep, and really in crucial situations. To be honest with you, I just think he plays nervous, but if he has one really big game, hopefully he gains some confidence.

petrodemos
10-01-2006, 07:25 PM
just think tho, we could have had mike williams...OUT OF FOOTBALL

Eyedea
10-01-2006, 07:27 PM
One thing to remember about Williamson is that he was drafted for his upside.
Everyone knew (or should have) that he was still farily raw.
He can be compared to T. Jackson, but not that raw.
However, unlike Jackson, T-Will was expected to come in and contribute right away because we didn't have a lot of great WR on the team, unlike Johnson startiing ahead of Jackson.
This is one of the reason I would have rather taken Clayton, a more polished reciever who played much better than Williamson the first year, at 19 instead of Williamson at 7

PurplePeopleEaters
10-01-2006, 07:35 PM
"PurplePride80" wrote:

Exactly.

Thank you.

I also discovered what life must be like from the view of a non-viking fan today in the live chat. What a bunch of whiney, negative, bandwagoners in there. There were only like 4 level headed people in there who were acessing the game normally and not screaming for both brad's respective heads. C'mon people.. I'm as big of a vikes fan as you are but please... be rational.

Mr. Purple
10-01-2006, 08:12 PM

"PurplePride80" wrote:

Exactly.

Thank you.

I also discovered what life must be like from the view of a non-viking fan today in the live chat. What a bunch of whiney, negative, bandwagoners in there. There were only like 4 level headed people in there who were acessing the game normally and not screaming for both brad's respective heads. C'mon people.. I'm as big of a vikes fan as you are but please... be rational.

I agree with all of you on all your points.Troy is still very young, and sometimes you can expect to much out of a player to fast.This year is almost like his rookie year, Tice only brought him in for long balls last year.Hes gonna have to work to be better and stop the drops.Hopefully over time he'll still be here and he'll be an effective weapon.PPE you hit it right on the head.Too many of you are so quick to "jump ship" or point the finger at a player or coach.I mean we're 4 games into the season,and we're 2-2 witha rookie head coach.You could even say we're more like a 3-1 team (last weeks Chicago loss could have easily gone our way).Today we lost, we didnt produce and we flat out lost.However I'm not gonna throw in the towel and call for Childress' head.

jaymz7
10-01-2006, 08:14 PM
It is disappointing to see a wr drop balls during a game. It is even worse when it costs you the game, but he is young and he will get better.

As far as the live chat I quit using it last year. I don't care how much of a Vikes fan you are or how long you have been a Vikes fan there are always going to be the people that only want to bitch about the negatives and say how screwed up everything is. Espeacially when there are so many newer members on here that think they have to be obnoxiously objective to get their point across and anyone who doesn't agree is either stupid or not a true Vikes fan.

If they really think they have the most intelligent comments have them call into Del and Ultra's show.

poult
10-01-2006, 08:21 PM
good players dont come straight from college and are just instantly good in the nfl. nobody can do that. good players get "good" after getting experience in the nfl.

[/quote]

they dont?
you obviously have never heard of randy Moss.

Mr Anderson
10-01-2006, 08:38 PM
"poult" wrote:

good players dont come straight from college and are just instantly good in the nfl. nobody can do that. good players get "good" after getting experience in the nfl.

Wrong! Wrong!Wrong!Wrong!Wrong!
Wrong!Wrong!Wrong!Wrong!Wrong!

http://profootballreference.com/games/MossRa00.htm#1998

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12576

Prophet
10-01-2006, 08:41 PM
"Mr" wrote:

"poult" wrote:

Albert Einstein also flunked math as a young lad and later developed the theory of relativity.
An exception to the rule does not make a good rule of thumb.

poult
10-01-2006, 08:42 PM
"Mr" wrote:

"poult" wrote:

i dont knwo what the hell is going on here.........
but all you did was make my point more clear......
i said to the original poster ever heard of randy moss?
quote the whole thing next time so it doesnt look like i was the one saying a player cant be good his rookie year......

sleepagent
10-01-2006, 08:47 PM
"TheKnuck" wrote:

he cannot catch a ball for his life when the pressure is on. i am so pissed right now.

Miss MOSS yet . . . I sure as hell do!

Our receivers need to step it up so idiots like me can let MOSS go . . .

DUMONUCHEEZHED
10-01-2006, 08:52 PM

"PurplePride80" wrote:

Exactly.

Thank you.

There's acomedian from the Twin Cities named Jake Johanssen that talks about Viking Fans in one of his routines... He says, " The Vikings could go undefeated all the way to the superbowl and lose it in the 4th overtime on a 99 yard field goal against the wind and Vikings fans would say
" We sucked all year! ""

snowinapril
10-01-2006, 08:55 PM
"sleepagent" wrote:

"TheKnuck" wrote:

I watched parts of the Raiders game today.
I saw Randy drop a few passes, and give up on another.
I don't know what is with the guy.
I think that we might have put him up on a pedestal.
The cool thing is, that the teams we played against while he was here put him on that pedestal also.

OUR WRs must not be getting open, getting enough separation, or Brad would be getting them the ball.
I would have to see tape to see if that is a statement that holds water.

sleepagent
10-01-2006, 09:04 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"sleepagent" wrote:

"TheKnuck" wrote:

I watched parts of the Raiders game today.
I saw Randy drop a few passes, and give up on another.
I don't know what is with the guy.
I think that we might have put him up on a pedestal.
The cool thing is, that the teams we played against while he was here put him on that pedestal also.

OUR WRs must not be getting open, getting enough separation, or Brad would be getting them the ball.
I would have to see tape to see if that is a statement that holds water.

I think he just isn't motivated and its affecting him mentally.
He went from a messy situation in Minnesota to a complete disaster in Oakland.

Overall I think we'll be better without him, but there are plenty of moments where I'm like Man-O-Man if only Randy was in that position.
He could be that one piece that breaks us loose . . . just like in 1998.

I'd love for the Offense to step it up.
Scoring under 21 points a game isn't gonna cut it.

sleepagent
10-01-2006, 09:10 PM
"Webby" wrote:

People will be lucky to see Live Chat open during games much longer.

Behavior is getting poor and the few will ruin it for the rest.

You should clean up your act or not expect to be allowed in Live Chat.

Why don't those that are ruining it for others get locked out?

It seems a shame to shut something down that others may enjoy . . .

vikes_4_life_42
10-01-2006, 10:42 PM
"poult" wrote:

they dont?
you obviously have never heard of randy Moss.
[/quote]
why does everything have to come down to randy moss? the guy is history. look at him now...is he still your hero? i dont care if you dont like t-will, but please stop constantly putting the guy down. (im not just saying this to you, poult, but other williamson haters as well) the game is over, lets move on. bring it on lions!!!

grpape
10-02-2006, 01:30 AM
Mr. Anderson you must put the pipe down. "WR is not really a difficult position to adjust to". Are you crazy! You make it seem as though every reciever has no problem in the NFL. I'm sure you could have done much better in those situations. He will be good, it just takes some time. CC took some time, so will T-Will.

aceclown
10-02-2006, 01:35 AM
"grpape" wrote:

Mr. Anderson you must put the pipe down. "WR is not really a difficult position to adjust to". Are you crazy! You make it seem as though every reciever has no problem in the NFL. I'm sure you could have done much better in those situations. He will be good, it just takes some time. CC took some time, so will T-Will.

Oh please dont tell me you just compared Cris to Williamson.
Bad form

vikingsFTW!!
10-02-2006, 02:27 AM
I think im like a lot of people here, if twill was just struggling to learn routes or read defenses i would would say ok no problem,but he is dropping basic passes at an incredible rate for a NFL reciever.
Maybe he cant handle the pressure, maybe he hurt i dont know, but what i do know is its killing us.
The first thing you learn to do as a wide receiver is catch.
In theory, any given NfL reciever should have master that concept.
Im not looking for cris carter or even randy moss with this guy all im asking for is consistancy.
I dont think the answer is to cut him or anything maybe just move him down the depth chart and let him watch other receivers make plays.
O and even though i didnt like the decision to bring in BC
I think its completely foolish to be calling for the mans head this early on.

midgensa
10-02-2006, 02:49 AM
"aceclown" wrote:

"grpape" wrote:

Oh please dont tell me you just compared Cris to Williamson.
Bad form

I don't see it as bad form ... he is just making a case that not all receivers come in and dominate and some end up great after a few years ... even 6!
Carter had only 761 yards his second year ... and only 605, 413, 962, and 681 in the years directly following that (the last three of which were with the Vikes) ... glad Minnesota did not give up on him after three average or sub-par years ... Troy is on pace for 980 yards this year despite a couple of bad weeks here ... and while there have been a couple of drops that are INEXCUSABLE and need to be addressed ... it happens ... Darrell Jackson dropped nearly every pass for three weeks a couple of years ago before turning in a drop free performance last season and in general cleaning up his act ...
I just think it is a little early to give up on a receiver who is showing signs of good production in his second year ... the offense as a whole has shown a lot of problems the last couple of weeks ... and Brad needs to find a little more zip on his ball like he had in week one ...
Instead of bashing players we are going to have to rely on ... we should hold out hope that it is early season/career jitters and focus on the fact that he has already started running routes 10x better than last year, finding openings better and getting his hands near the ball in the first place (something he had a lot of trouble with last season)

digital420
10-02-2006, 07:46 AM
u know..

i saw T.t and M.r drop passes..

I saw T.w drop some nifty spin catches..

i dind't see T.w drop a pass that landed in his hands in stride..

u guys gotta cut the kid some slack.. he's being dbl teamed.. knocked around.. and he's trying to perfect pass routes, and timing as well as get away from defenders, and catch a ball while KNOWING he's gonna get rocked.

not the easiest of situations.. so he's getting paid to do it.. he'll do it.

DiGiTaL

Benet
10-02-2006, 09:00 AM
While his hands are the weakest part of his game, what I do find encouraging about Troy is that he is CONSISTENTLY getting open. The reason we're criticising his hands so much is because he's getting the ball a lot of the time in the passing game, proving he can seperate himself from NFL defensive backs.

He'll get better. He's already done the hard part.

whackthepack
10-02-2006, 09:32 AM
All Viking WR need to get the stickum out, and use lots!

But the thing that is killing us more the the dropped balls are stupid penalties, especially ones that on a 2 point conversion that take you from the 2 yard line to the 7 yard line.
The last drive would have been successful if we had gotten the 2 points and had been only down by 3 point instead of 5, all we would have had to do was kick a field goal to tie the game and we were in field goal range.

digital420
10-02-2006, 09:56 AM
fg range is a strange topic in that satium.. the wind was rushing.. and causing all kinds of ball havoc..

don't always be so sure your way woulda been better.

DiGiTaL

Mr Anderson
10-02-2006, 10:18 AM
"grpape" wrote:

Please tell me why its such a big adjustment. It's not like coming from college and playing QB, or offensive line, defensive line, or corner because of the speed difference in the NFL from college.But if you have speed, if you are faster than 99% of people you play against, you should have really no problem going from college to the NFL. Every team runs the same basic coverages from high school to the pros. Cover 1, 2, 3, and occasionally prevent, or nickel and dime packages. He was faster than the corners in high school, faster than the corners in college, and he's still faster than the corners in the NFL. The ball is the same, the field is the same the defenses are the same, but apparently his hands and his brain have changed.

People would be talking about how great he is for such a young player if he could catch the god damn ball, but he can't and saying WR is hard to adjust to is just an excuse for him playing totally boneheaded.

No I couldn't have looked better in those situations, and never said I could, so don't put words in my mouth when really you're just pulling them out of your ass. However, if I were wide open, and a football hit me in my hands, I would catch it, that I have done before, it's not difficult, what happens after I catch the ball is an entirely different story, it would probably involve a lot of violence, and me crying because I just got wrecked by Donte Whitner or London Fletcher.

grpape
10-03-2006, 01:43 AM
Hey Mr. Anderson,
From the way you make it seem so easy, "if I were wide open, and a football hit me in the hands, I would catch it." Yeah right! Playing in such a stiuation, I'm pretty sure you would choke. I'm not saying that I wouldn't, but where do you get off ripping professional WRs in the NFL? If it was that easy, there would be no busts. I only stated that you, by the tone of your post (which is only stated in this last one), that you could do better than a professional WR. I do not pull things from my jiggly but, only trying to state how you sound.

As for the person that said that it was bad form to compare T-Will to CC. All I was trying to state (stay with me here), was that he too took some time to become the great receiver he became. I'm sorry if it was too much of a streach to understand what I was trying to do. Next time I'll send Mr. Anderson over to draw some pictures for you.

Vikes_King
10-03-2006, 01:51 AM
heh, i hadnt even looked at this thread in a couple days, figured it would have settled by now..

people give in too easily ('._.)

marcosMN
10-22-2006, 11:10 AM
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/15813409.htm

Will he catch on?

In his second season, Troy Williamson still is learning the nuances of playing receiver in the NFL. But the Vikings remain confident that he will develop into a solid performer.

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

Troy Williamson is a constant target.

For the Vikings' second-year receiver, there's never a shortage of advice.

From position coach Darrell Wyatt, to veteran receivers Marcus Robinson and Travis Taylor, to quarterback Brad Johnson, to coach Brad Childress, to offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, to agent David Canter, and even to cornerbacks Fred Smoot and Antoine Winfield, all have wisdom they want to impart to him.

"I appreciate everybody giving me information," Williamson said. "There's always something I can learn."

Asked if he is swimming in information, Williamson said, "I can say that.

"But when all of it comes together, it'll feel good. People are looking out for me, and they see the potential that I have to be great. And when that time comes, it's going to be good."

The question is when.

He topped 100 yards in an NFL game for the first time Sept. 17 against the Carolina Panthers, and he had clutch catches in the team's first two victories. But Williamson's production has tailed off significantly since then, with only four passes intended for him in a 26-17 victory over the Detroit Lions.

Through six weeks, Williamson is 48th in receiving yards (256), tied for 39th in passes intended for him (38) and is not even among the top 45 in receptions (18). But he does lead the NFL in one dubious category, dropped passes with six, according to STATS, Inc.

"I can say that I always want the ball. Anybody would say that," Williamson said. "But I'm not a guy who sits here and says, 'I need this. I need that.' I'm not that type of person. When my opportunity comes, I'll make do with it."

But Canter said the Vikings haven't given Williamson, the seventh overall pick in the 2005 NFL draft, enough chances to make plays.

"In my opinion, to utilize a player like Troy, he should have 15 opportunities, including kickoffs, to touch the ball per game," Canter said. "That's what happened when Randy Moss was there. Put him in situations to be successful. For the Vikings to win, on a consistent basis, Troy has to be an integral part of the offense."

Canter also said the Vikings haven't used Williamson enough on underneath routes, particularly slants and curls. In fact, at least 13 of the 38 passes intended for Williamson have been identified as "deep" balls.

FIGURING OUT THE POSITION

Publicly, the Vikings have downplayed their troubles at receiver. But their actions clearly indicate a concern. During the offseason, the team signed Koren Robinson to a three-year contract and traded for veteran Billy McMullen. After Robinson was dumped in early September after his high-speed chase, the Vikings were short one playmaker at the position, compelling them to accelerate Williamson's learning curve and scramble to add another difference-maker at the position. After trying out at least six receivers, the Vikings signed Bethel Johnson on Oct. 10.

Williamson, though, still is raw as a receiver.

According to one NFL personnel executive, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, Williamson's routes are unpolished and he doesn't know how to "work" cornerbacks.

"You see some good flashes," the executive said. "It's just a matter of putting it all together."

Despite his elite speed, Williamson doesn't draw double teams because he hasn't made teams pay on a consistent basis, the executive said.

"You don't want to be the team that he does it against," the executive said. "But he's got the capability. He could be a few games away, or maybe it takes him to the end of the year. Most people who defend him are wondering about that, as well."

Williamson took significant strides during the offseason, spending parts of two weeks working with former NFL receiver James McKnight at Perfect Competition, a training facility in Davie, Fla. McKnight, who caught 222 passes for 3,595 yards and 18 touchdowns in nine NFL seasons, taught Williamson the intricacies of running routes, particularly how to come in and out of breaks.

"Young guys, when they come out of breaks, they stop their arms, and that slows them down," McKnight said. "He's so fast, he could get away with it in college. But not in the NFL."

At the same time, Pete Bommarito, co-owner of Perfect Competition, worked to make Williamson stronger at the point of attack.

BRINGING HIM ALONG SLOWLY

Winfield said at training camp he noticed Williamson was stronger and had improved as a route runner. But Winfield also pointed out a problem.

After the ball was snapped, Winfield could tell whether Williamson was going deep.

Williamson would explode off the line of scrimmage, keying Winfield to turn his hips and sprint down the field. Last season, Winfield said, Williamson wouldn't run full speed on intermediate routes.

Receivers such as Torry Holt "will lull you to sleep," Winfield said. "He'll make every route look the same. He'll come off slow, get you to settle your feet, then he'll just burst past you. That's why he's open a lot."

But the Vikings are careful not to overwhelm Williamson, which could explain why he's not getting the ball more. Williamson is just 23 years old, and he left South Carolina, not known for its passing prowess, a year early.

"Looking back," Williamson said, "I can see how raw I was coming out."

Vikings receiver Marcus Robinson summed up the prevailing sentiment of Williamson.

"He's a young guy, given a lot of money, on an NFL team, and now he's expected to produce," Robinson said. "Just like that."

But the team is sensitive to Williamson's growing pains, allowing him to focus only on one position, the x (or weak-side) receiver, and steadily introducing him to the nuances of the West Coast offense.

Robinson also encourages Williamson to have fun and tries to keep him from taking himself too seriously. That's a departure from last year, Williamson said.

"Last year, with me being so tense in some of the stuff I did, I didn't have a lot of fun, and I didn't enjoy being here," he said. "But now I can say that, with me being a little more comfortable, I have more fun. I'm here for a reason.

"I get paid a lot of money to do what I do, and everybody doesn't have this opportunity. So I need to enjoy it, because there's no telling how long I'll play."

The Vikings, though, are pleased with Williamson's development.

"He's still a work in progress," Bevell said after complimenting Williamson's progress. "He'll be the first one to tell you that. We still want to get him the ball, but we're doing it within the framework of the offense."

'NEED TO BE MORE FOCUSED'

The Vikings' offense is trying to get into a rhythm. But erratic protection from the offensive line has limited the pass offense, with quarterback Brad Johnson seemingly rushing through his progressions. That never was more evident than against Carolina, when defensive end Julius Peppers overwhelmed right tackle Marcus Johnson.

The offense also has been plagued by penalties, fumbles and dropped passes.

Williamson owned up for the latter problem and said he must guard against his mind wandering.

"I need to be more focused on what I do," Williamson said. "That's a big part of being a receiver."

Last season, Williamson dropped only two of the 52 passes thrown at him, according to STATS, Inc.

But Johnson said he isn't worried about Williamson's hands. He only hopes to figure out more ways to get his playmaker the ball.

"When he gets going, and we get him the ball, he really changes the game for us," the quarterback said. "We have to find different ways to get him the ball and let him have touches. Things where he can catch it on the run. It doesn't just have to be a bomb. Put the ball in his hands, and let him get the yards after the catch."

RECEIVERS TAKE TIME TO DEVELOP

Williamson has disappeared for key stretches of games. Interestingly, the Vikings' least productive quarter is the third, when Williamson has had just four passes intended for him.

Like Williamson, Taylor was a high first-round pick, chosen 10th by Baltimore in 2000. Taylor noted how rare it is for receivers to come into the NFL and immediately dominate.

"The expectations are really high, but there is so much to learn," Taylor said.

Terrell Owens, Rod Smith and Steve Smith were among the receivers who didn't break out until their third NFL seasons. Marvin Harrison didn't top 1,000 yards until his fourth season, and Joe Horn his fifth.

When will Williamson assert himself?

Williamson said he thinks about 1,000 yards but that he's not ready to set goals.

"The more comfortable I get, that's when I can set a timetable for myself and set major goals," he said. "Stuff takes time, and I'm still learning. Once I get comfortable, I'll be fine."

Asked if that can happen this year, Williamson said, "I think so. We still got 11 games left."

PurpleRide
10-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Some people were born with good hands, he was not.
I would have to say he is looking more like Quadre Ismial then anyone that we can rely on as a #1-3 recievers.
I hope he can turn it around, but I would have rather taken the little know LB that the Chargers took after williamson