PDA

View Full Version : Howie Long on the Vikes

Slade
09-25-2006, 07:39 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5999370?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

The Vikings won't fade
I really like the Mike Tomlin hire as the defensive coordinator at Minnesota. He brought the Tampa Bay cover-two scheme to Minnesota and the Vikings see it every day in practice. Well, that's what Lovie Smith runs with the Bears. The Vikings, if they are going to the playoffs, have to be competitive with the Bears and teams that use the cover-two defense. Tomlin gives them insight into how Lovie uses the scheme.

Plus, everyone says that Tomlin is a great young coach.

The surprising thing to me about the Vikings is that Brad Childress came to Minnesota from Philadelphia, where Andy Reid loves to throw the football. For him to come in and make the acquisitions like Steve Hutchinson, fullback Tony Richardson and running back Chester Taylor, well that was all geared toward one thing — pounding the football.

Brad Johnson is a great control-the-football type of quarterback. This kid Taylor is not going to wow you in the first three quarters, but Sunday he broke some runs at the end. He'll keep doing that. They stick with the running game and that surprises me. And Johnson is the perfect fit for this offense. Troy Williamson is a receiver they obviously believe in. Against Washington in Week 1, they just kept going to him deep, throwing it over the top to him after running the ball four or five times. He dropped a couple balls, but he will improve.

I realize Minnesota hasn't scored a lot of offensive touchdowns, but the Vikings have played three really good defensive teams and they have two wins.

slavinator
09-25-2006, 07:42 PM
nice read...........its good to hear that we are catching some people's eyes out there.

Braddock
09-25-2006, 08:17 PM
I think this is the best quote...

I think beating Minnesota at home is a tall task. The Vikings are very good on defense right now. They're good up front and have a very good secondary. The Bears dodged a bullet on Sunday.

I believe we are accomplishing B.C's goal: to be tough to beat. nuff said.

cajunvike
09-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Yeah, it was good to see us getting some props...too bad it was piggybacked on him kissing the Bears' A$$ES!!!