PDA

View Full Version : Viking CB told Bears WR his defensive strategy?

jackbauer1982
09-25-2006, 01:12 AM
As per: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-060924bearsbrite2,1,6944764.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Davis lined up in the slot as teammate Mushin Muhammad split out wide. He had shown Whitaker a few basic corner-route maneuvers earlier in the game, and Whitaker told Davis he was specifically defending the corner route. So Whitaker routinely shifted his body weight and leverage to the outside as Davis approached him.

"He made the mistake [of telling me] he was playing me outside," Davis said.

WTF? Is Ronyell Whitaker Lebron James or Michael Jordan? Is he so good that he can tell the opposition what is coming and still beat them? Obviously not. I hope Childress hears about this.

baumy300
09-25-2006, 01:20 AM
If only they would let their play do the talking and not their mouthes :(

michaelmazid
09-25-2006, 02:20 AM
who does this guy think he is? deion sanders?

he needs to shut his mouth and play and learn from A. winfield and not that sorry ass f smoot who got burned on at least 5 3rd down plays.

MaddenVodkaAddict
09-25-2006, 03:49 AM
"michaelmazid" wrote:

he needs to shut his mouth and play and learn from A. winfield and not that sorry jiggly butt f smoot who got burned on at least 5 3rd down plays.

Speaking of Mr. Smoot, I am starting to wish the Vikings would have kept Mr. Brian Williams.

baumy300
09-25-2006, 04:57 AM
"MaddenVodkaAddict" wrote:

"michaelmazid" wrote:

he needs to shut his mouth and play and learn from A. winfield and not that sorry jiggly butt f smoot who got burned on at least 5 3rd down plays.

Speaking of Mr. Smoot, I am starting to wish the Vikings would have kept Mr. Brian Williams.

I always did wish we had B-Will. The only thing that makes me glad we have Smoot now is B-Wills off the field antics of late.

singersp
09-25-2006, 07:11 AM

"michaelmazid" wrote:

Don't put the blame entirely on Smoot. Winfield got burned on 3rd & long also & was also giving his receiver way to much room.

As mentioned on K-FAN, that amount of space the DB's were giving the receivers, may have been part of the defensive strategy to prevent yards after the catch.

If that is the case, then I'd have to question the defensive play calling on 3rd & long. They didn't allow the extra yards, but it still gave the Bears a 1st down.

Del Rio
09-25-2006, 07:32 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"michaelmazid" wrote:

Don't put the blame entirely on Smoot. Winfield got burned on 3rd & long also & was also giving his receiver way to much room.

As mentioned on K-FAN, that amount of space the DB's were giving the receivers, may have been part of the defensive strategy to prevent yards after the catch.

If that is the case, then I'd have to question the defensive play calling on 3rd & long. They didn't allow the extra yards, but it still gave the Bears a 1st down.

The cushion was horrible. 1st and 10 and you have a 12 yard cushion. It was pretty weak.
That being said, Smoot is touted as a coverage corner, A. Winfield is not. If that makes any difference to anyone.

Also not that you want to give your opponent any sort of edge, but if he was covering the corner all night, the WR new it anyway, because A) His coaches told him B) He saw it himself.

Zeus
09-25-2006, 08:56 AM
"jackbauer1982" wrote:

As per: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-060924bearsbrite2,1,6944764.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Davis lined up in the slot as teammate Mushin Muhammad split out wide. He had shown Whitaker a few basic corner-route maneuvers earlier in the game, and Whitaker told Davis he was specifically defending the corner route. So Whitaker routinely shifted his body weight and leverage to the outside as Davis approached him.

"He made the mistake [of telling me] he was playing me outside," Davis said.

WTF? Is Ronyell Whitaker Lebron James or Michael Jordan? Is he so good that he can tell the opposition what is coming and still beat them? Obviously not. I hope Childress hears about this.

He did not LITERALLY tell him what he was going to do.
Davis is saying that he was able to see how Whitaker would cover him based on how he set up his body prior to the snap.

=Z=

Vikes_King
09-25-2006, 01:28 PM
people, last week you were praising smoot, this year you'd rather have Brian DWI Williams.

come on

Zeus
09-25-2006, 01:30 PM
"Vikes_King" wrote:

people, last week you were praising smoot, this year you'd rather have Brian DWI Williams.

come on

Well, I've said for months that letting Brian Williams go was a huge mistake.

Look it up!

=Z=

NodakPaul
09-25-2006, 01:38 PM
"Vikes_King" wrote:

come on

LOL.
Of course.
Didn't you know?
If we lose a game it is obviously Smoot's fault.
I am pretty sure he caused the fumble in the 4th too.
;D

Redmption
09-25-2006, 01:44 PM
I think its ridiculous that on a 3rd and 3 play the corners are playing with a 5 yard cushion. No bump and run, no jamming. How many times are they going to get burner because the WR runs the quick slant for an easy first down???

Zeus
09-25-2006, 01:47 PM
"Redmption" wrote:

I think its ridiculous that on a 3rd and 3 play the corners are playing with a 5 yard cushion. No bump and run, no jamming. How many times are they going to get burner because the WR runs the quick slant for an easy first down???

Would you rather give up the 5-yard slant or the 50-yard TD?

=Z=

Del Rio
09-25-2006, 01:50 PM
Last week he made a few solid tackles I threw him a bone. If your WR is catching routes in front of your face and moving the chains consistently all night, well sorry Smoot fans it is what it is.

One day the excuses need to end.

Why did he not start the game? Why is he giving up so much yardage?

He has dug himself a hole, it is on him to get out. He gained weight and supposedly he lost no speed and yet he is still getting hurt, he is not breaking on the ball, and he is still tackling like a handicapped 3rd grader.

So yeah unlike some people I have no problem singling him out considering he hasn't earned a dime of what we are paying him and we could have gotten Ken Lucas or Dyson for even less money and invested it somewhere else.

I loke Brian Williams and I think the Vikes fucked him royaly. This isn't about Smoot Vs. Brian for me this about our starting corner not getting the job done. I want him to do well because I want the Vikings to do well, and if I see him do something that makes me say wow that was a good play then I will point it out, and when he messes up I will do the same.

It's not flip flopping my opinion it is trying to observe. I think the damn smoot fan club is just as bad as the people out to get him.

vikingbill50
09-25-2006, 02:02 PM
on the viking update website they say he was having helmet trouble and that is why he didnt start, but we need to start jamming at the line to throw off the timing and we are not..