PDA

View Full Version : Caine's Post Game Thoughts and Rant

Caine
09-24-2006, 05:15 PM
As I stated earlier, if we are going to win big games, we need our Offense to step up.
They didn't today, and we let the Bears walk out with OUR 3-0 record.

Too many times, the Vikings Offense stalled in the short end of the field.
Once on the 13, on the 18, and on the 23.
All three resulted in FGs.
Had just ONE of them been a TD, the game would have gone in another direction.

We saw this against the Panthers and again with the Bears, our Offense cannot seem to maintain drives, much less put the finishing touches on them.
And, until they do, Minnesota will not be a team to be feared.

The play-calling isn't helping matters any.
Too often I see us pass short or run on long yard situations.
3-8 and we pass for 4 or run for 5, etc.
We cannot continue doing that.
The WORST call of the game was the 4th and 2...when not run there?
There's over a minute left on the clock, we have the Bears "D" on their heels, and we throw a timing pass?!?!?!?
When this season has Brad and ANY of our receivers exhibited anything remotely looking like a connection where you would put your faith ina
TIMING route with the game on the line?
Did Childress think that NOW would be the time?

Or, if your going to pass, where is Wiggins, or Taylor across the middle, or any number of short, high percentage passes that are supposedly our "bread and butter"?
Sure, teh Defense shouldn't expect that kind of play in that situation, but did the Bears look fooled by it?
Not when Childress ALWAYS seems to go with the, "Why in the hell would you call that NOW?" plays.

Sure, we can all feel good about our Defense.
Something we haven't been able to do for quite some time.
But when our Defense scores our ONLY touchdown, I have to believe that there is something seriously wrong in Minnesota.

And this isn't the first time.
We did it against Carolina too.
At least in Washington we put it in the endzone.

We have two VERY good teams comming up in the next 5 weeks - Seattle and New England.
If our Offense cannot find a way to put points on the board other than in groups of 3, we may very well find ourselves with the best Defensive unit NOT playing in the play-offs.

Chiacgo walks away with the win...and they should feel pretty good about themselves.
But, they walk away now knowing what we've been saying all week.
Their soft schedule early has given them an overinflated sense of how good they are, on both sides of the ball.
Unfortunately for us, it also shows us what I've been saying for several weeks now, if our Offense doesn't start showing up, we may be in for a long season of being on the short side of a lot of contests.

We're now 2-1 with a 3 point difference between what we've scored and what we've allowed.
Our Defense is stingy...our Offense is simply lame.
Someone has to step it up...and soon.

Caine

Gift
09-24-2006, 05:17 PM
I agree with you, I thought some of the play calling was odd to say the least.
THe O needs to get it going, the D cant win it every game.

snowinapril
09-24-2006, 05:38 PM
Caine,

I think our offense is trying to be TOO unpredicatable.

I don't think we have found the one thing that we do well.
We have the HUGE O LINE that can't be counted on to come up with the short yardage run.
Not that they have been asked to do that alot.
But, my point is the offense doens't have a bread and butter play.
We have had issue running.
It isn't like the other teams are saying "please don't run on us. You are going to grind us down."

JMO

Snow

cogitans
09-24-2006, 05:40 PM
What we did today was not running enough.

I haven't looked it up yet, but I think we were passing almost at 2/3 of the plays

cogitans
09-24-2006, 05:44 PM
"cogitans" wrote:

I haven't looked it up yet, but I think we were passing almost at 2/3 of the plays

Hmm. Correcting my self.

24 runs - 31 pass attempts

snowinapril
09-24-2006, 05:46 PM
"cogitans" wrote:

"cogitans" wrote:

Hmm. Correcting my self.

24 runs - 31 pass attempts

It was more unbalanced around half time.
We tried to run off some time in the second half by running, balanced it out more.

Mr Anderson
09-24-2006, 05:54 PM
I noticed the unfinishing drives also.

Every opening drive we dominate, and it results in a FG, every week.

Maybe we'll learn to finish against the Bills.

VikesfaninWis
09-24-2006, 05:59 PM
I was as pissed off as you can get at todays game.. When we have a 16-12 advantage and we are driving down field against the Chicago Bears at home, we have to get the win..

BJ fumbles the ball, and Chicago scores their only TD of the game.. I will say that our defense played good, but they let them score when they should have been tightening up.. I am very pissed off at the outcome of the game..

We should have won this game, and now it could be a whole different season for the Vikings.. If we win this game, we win our first game against a division team.. Now the Bears have 3 wins and all are in our division..

It will be extremely hard for us to win the division now.. The Bears will have to fall flat on their faces to not take the division.. We have a much harder schedule then they do.. The Vikes beat themselves, and if their season changes because of it, they only have themselves to blame for it.. I don't think BJ will be labeled as being smart with the football from now on.. That fumble was a backbreaker for them..

Rant off...............

sweetness34
09-24-2006, 06:09 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

I was as pissed off as you can get at todays game.. When we have a 16-12 advantage and we are driving down field against the Chicago Bears at home, we have to get the win..

BJ fumbles the ball, and Chicago scores their only TD of the game.. I will say that our defense played good, but they let them score when they should have been tightening up.. I am very pissed off at the outcome of the game..

We should have won this game, and now it could be a whole different season for the Vikings.. If we win this game, we win our first game against a division team.. Now the Bears have 3 wins and all are in our division..

It will be extremely hard for us to win the division now.. The Bears will have to fall flat on their faces to not take the division.. We have a much harder schedule then they do.. The Vikes beat themselves, and if their season changes because of it, they only have themselves to blame for it.. I don't think BJ will be labeled as being smart with the football from now on.. That fumble was a backbreaker for them..

Rant off...............

The only difference in our schedules are these:

vikes - skins and panthers
bears - giants and bucs

giants are better than the skins and the panthers are better than the bucs. So i'd have to say the vikes have that same easy schedule

Deronn
09-24-2006, 06:14 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Rant off...............

I don't think this does anything to the division race - but
we must beat them in Dec. We play the same schedule they do - and we should be able to put away Green Bay and Detroit just like they did. The only difference in our schedules are that we played Washington and Carolina (both wins for us) and they play the Giants (at home) and Tampa Bay.

Today proved they are not a better team than us (they won, but it was an very evenly matched game.) We've already been tested and came out with 2 wins, and I think we will keep pace with them the rest of the year. The teams they beat, we should be able to beat. They will NEED to beat both the Giants and us to end up with a better record. They will by no means run away with the division. It will be a battle all season long.

Deronn
09-24-2006, 06:16 PM
OMG, I'm agreeing with the BEARS FAN?????

LOL

derek
09-24-2006, 06:24 PM
to the guy who said...

"I was as pissed off as you can get at todays game.. When we have a 16-12 advantage and we are driving down field against the Chicago Bears at home, we have to get the win..

It will be extremely hard for us to win the division now.. The Bears will have to fall flat on their faces to not take the division.. We have a much harder schedule then they do.. The Vikes beat themselves, and if their season changes because of it, they only have themselves to blame for it.. I don't think BJ will be labeled as being smart with the football from now on.. That fumble was a backbreaker for them..Rant off..............."

well...I don't think you can pin that completely on B.J man...it was somebody on the O line who let a Bear get through and have wide open shot at the QB/RB (i'll have to go back and look to see who it was)...but to me it looked like that the helmet of the defender who got through and had the clear shot knocked the ball out just as the handoff took place...so in MY mind that was more of an O-line mistake, which led to an almost unavoidable turnover. But I really don't wanna start pointing fingers...but to try to pin it on BJ alone i don't think is accurate. But It was an offensive Offensive mistake at a crucial time when we all but had the game won..

Yes...we lost.
And yeah it hurt no doubt.

But as losses go this is one that i think went a long way into proving that we are FOR REAL...the 1st two wins weren't 'flukes'...we were in there this time with the Bears punching it out nose to nose untill the end against arguably one of the toughest Ds out there...and our boys MORE than held their own...we all but had the game WON with about 2minutes to go...

but all it takes is one mistake...

and the game is 60 minutes not 58...

so yeah it sucks we lost, but it also in a weird way also proves that we are NO JOKE...and we are not to be dealt with lightly...we KNOW this now, everyone knows this now (believe me, after this brawl the Bears KNOW that they came this close to going home with an L...this one coulda gone either way and they know it)...

so I'm bummed we lost, but i'm still proud of the way the boys played dangit...

and I'm licking my chops for a friggin RE MATCH in Chicago!!!

arrrrggh

tampaviking
09-24-2006, 06:24 PM
the offense is missing a true #1 reciever, krob hurt this team more than anything else. but you gotta move on right

Potus2028
09-24-2006, 06:36 PM
we dont need a true number one receiver, as much as we need to realize that our receivers are not jump ball receivers, but route running 10-20yrd pass receivers

and we need to encorporate quick mid-size routes, not long fades and go routes, etc.

Prophet
09-24-2006, 06:38 PM
There is no doubt that the offense has to step up, doesn't take much insight to notice that.
I was hoping for a win in the first three games of the season and the Vikings have two.
They are still in good shape.....as long as they continue to show improvement.
That is happening on the defensive side of the ball but is not happening on the offensive side of the ball.
I don't think next week will be much easier, Buffalo's D has been doing its job this year too.
I'm also waiting for the Vikings O to step up, but I'm not ready to do the Bollinger or Tarvaris chants after a hard-fought loss.
There is no way the Vikings coaching staff does not notice the lack of a Vikings' O, my six-year-old son noticed it.
They will come around and the sky is not falling yet.
The new coaching staff, O & D is in its infancy and is ahead of schedule.
They will be fine.

snowinapril
09-24-2006, 06:42 PM
"tampaviking" wrote:

the offense is missing a true #1 reciever, krob hurt this team more than anything else. but you gotta move on right

IMO, I don't think that Krob was a number one.

We are still not very threatening on O.

I think it is play calling and our O line.

I think that CT is a good RB, but needs a little more help.
It is a combo of things.
Hopefully the coaches see this offense as a work in progress.

Caine
09-24-2006, 08:31 PM
"sweetness34" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Rant off...............

The only difference in our schedules are these:

vikes - skins and panthers
bears - giants and bucs

giants are better than the skins and the panthers are better than the bucs. So i'd have to say the vikes have that same easy schedule

Let's put this controversy to bed, once and for all...

The Bears have the easiest schedule in the NFL...period.
No one else's schedule was rated as easy as Chicago's, and this was NOT determined by Viking fans, it was determined by the sportswriters of every publication I have read in the off-season/pre-season since the schedule was released.

That isn't to say that our's is hard - our schedule has been rated as tied for the fourth easiest - but it is saying that ours is slightly tougher than yours.

The combined record, thus far, of OUR opponents is 5-4.
Of yours, 3-6.
Our opponents unique to each others schedules have, for us, a combined 2-4 record, for you it's 1-5.

So, cry all you want about ours not being "that much" tougher than yours...you're right, it isn't.
But it doesn't change the fact that yours is the EASIEST in the NFL.
Instead of whining about it, embrace it.
It just means it'll be that much easier for your team to dominate in the regular season.

For Prophet:

I don't blame Johnson either.
I blame poor play calling and mediocre O-Line performance to date.
I think that our "O" looks now like our "D" used to.
We DON'T have a world-beater QB.
We DON'T have an All-Pro WR.
We DON'T frighten any of the secondaries in the NFL.
And our running game DOESN'T set the league on fire.

We have a "solid" QB, a "decent" WR Corps, and a "potentially good" RB.
Toss in our "Fantastic on paper but not getting it done on the field" O-Line and our "Unispired" play-calling, and you can see why we are struggling to score.
We need someone to step up and get the Offense rolling.
I don't know if Brad is a guy who does that - I've never seen him in that role before - so it will likely have to come from another source *cough* Williamson *cough*.

Seriously, we need Troy to become Chad Johnson.
A guy who let's it all out.
A guy who fire's up and motivates his offense.
We NEED that fire.

...then we need Brad to start calling plays that are a wee bit smarter.

Caine

olson_10
09-24-2006, 08:39 PM
im just still at a loss for words about this playcalling

Prophet
09-24-2006, 08:41 PM
In this game, the questionable offensive play calling appears to be the theme by most.
I was also wondering, like Olsen10 has been mentioning, what happened to the TE, quick passes over the middle stuff?
Were they so afraid of Urlacher that they completely tore those pages out of the playbook?
Childress appears to be a student of the game to me, they will adjust and get better.

COJOMAY
09-24-2006, 08:45 PM
I agree that the play calling stunk!
We passed when we should have run on the 4th and 2. We run when we should have passed on the 3rd and 8 late in the game when we were in Bear's territory after Memo's great first down. Those two plays were beyond my comprehension.
Grossman is esaily rattled when he get's pressure. I got to hand it to the Bear's O line. They did a better job of keeping the pressure off him in the second half.
Our defense against the run was GREAT again. Pass defense was fair. Smoot still hasn't got anyting together except his mouth.
BE did a fairly good job but he threw two passes today that either went way over the receiver's head or fell 5 yards short. What's with that. Doesn't look like himself.
We are a dink and dunk team. That's what we should have been doing that final drive.

Big C
09-24-2006, 09:18 PM
I was so angry but now I am calm. The only thing that made me feel better was seeing the Cardinals and Browns lose because of mistakes in the last 2 minutes of the game.

I tell myself that it's a sport. You win some and you lose some. This week we lost a game we should have won, but last week we won a game we should have lost. I hope we learn from this.

The call on 4th and 2 was just ridiculous. Especially with the game on the line and overtime a field goal away. Reminds me of that stupid call a few years ago when Moss threw into the endzone for an interception against Seattle. I don't why we're not running any plays to the TE either. Our best reciever (Wiggins) is not getting the ball.

Oh well, bring on the Bills!

FuadFan
09-24-2006, 09:39 PM
I'm still upset about the loss but it will pass and we just have to move on and get ready for the next game. I am worried that there just may not be an answer to our inability to get TDs in the redzone I can't see a solution for it.

gpless05
09-24-2006, 09:44 PM
i think there is a way to get TD's once we are in the redzone, look for the TE Jermaine Wiggins! this man had the most yards by any of our WR's last year, and he still has got it in him....we dished the ball to him i think one time today which is totally rediculous!

VikesfaninWis
09-24-2006, 09:47 PM
"Deronn" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Rant off...............

I don't think this does anything to the division race - but
we must beat them in Dec. We play the same schedule they do - and we should be able to put away Green Bay and Detroit just like they did. The only difference in our schedules are that we played Washington and Carolina (both wins for us) and they play the Giants (at home) and Tampa Bay.

Today proved they are not a better team than us (they won, but it was an very evenly matched game.) We've already been tested and came out with 2 wins, and I think we will keep pace with them the rest of the year. The teams they beat, we should be able to beat. They will NEED to beat both the Giants and us to end up with a better record. They will by no means run away with the division. It will be a battle all season long.

Yeah I hear ya man... I wrote that immediately after the game and I was on a rant..lol.. I was just pissed off that they beat themselves like that.. Rant off, bring on Buffalo..

Freakout
09-24-2006, 09:52 PM
As for our offense I think we really need to get Wiggins involved more.
It seems he gets 2 balls thrown his way per game.
That is just not enough for a TE of his calibur.

bono
09-24-2006, 10:14 PM
Well, I didn't see the game (just saw the linescore on the bottom of the tv while viewing the packers' game), but from what I was able to spot, it looked like that game could've went either way. The Vikings could have just as easily won that game. I don't think this game said too much GOOD about the Bears, and I don't think this game said anything BAD about the Vikings. Check it out: The Bears came in to this game as favorites (not big favorites, but favorites no less), heck, even I thought the bears would put the peddle to the metal in this one, but...but...but they overall (if you ask me...with all the hype surrounding them) SUCKED! I know the Vikings' defense has improved, but come on, I thought for sure the Bears' offense --THIS NEW AND IMPROVED BEARS' OFFENSE -- would display some form of "we're not a fluke" against them. NOTHING! On the Vikings side, I'm actually a little jealous of them. I couldn't believe they actually held the Bears' to a FG in the first half, above other things. WOW! I have to say 'good job'! Vikings' fans, look at this game as a semi-victory, instead of a flat out loss. If you were able to CONTROL the possible NFC Superbowl representatives for 99.9 1/2-percent of the game, there's no telling what'cha (or my packers, now that they've "found their smile" again) gonna do next time you meet!

Del Rio
09-24-2006, 10:18 PM
Good game against a good team. Get over it, move on.

digital420
09-25-2006, 05:36 AM
we played a great game D wise..

Longwell is still making us points

special teams aren't special but ok

but our O.. is a mystery.. we make plays, the O line is there but seem
to someohw mis by 2 steps.
C.t proves over and over he can be the all down back,
but that doesn't mean he has to try 3rd and short. b.j needs to become close friends with wiggens, and once d's soften cause of inside work with wiggens and t.t , THEN go for twill alone, stick with what was working!!!

we shoulda won that game, and it proves that the team is on the rise, the NFC is gonna sport 2 solid D's from the black and blue.

DiGiTaL

singersp
09-25-2006, 06:51 AM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

...........It will be extremely hard for us to win the division now.. The Bears will have to fall flat on their faces to not take the division.. We have a much harder schedule then they do.. The Vikes beat themselves, and if their season changes because of it, they only have themselves to blame for it.. I don't think BJ will be labeled as being smart with the football from now on.. That fumble was a backbreaker for them..

Rant off...............

IMO it was not the fumble that cost us the game. It is the fact that we keep settling for 3 points instead of 7 when we are down in the Redzone. Longwell has scored 31 straight points (1 for a TD) since our offense put a ball in the endzone, which was 10 quarters ago.

So who do you blame? The offense? Brad Johnson? The play calling? Or do you just give credit to the opposing teams defense. The offense is still putting us into a position to kick field goals instead of punting the ball & the play calls, again IMO have been questionable.

Someone on K-Fan after the game mentioned that if Culpepper went 9 quarters without taking the team into the endzone the fans would be calling for his head. & yet there is nowhere's near that amount of blame being put on Johnson.

One thing I question is the intentional grounding Brad does when he's about to be sacked. Why take the loss of yards & the loss of down instead of just the yards?

What I find the most questionable is the types of plays being called as Caine mentioned. Not while in the Redzone, but on any given series. I wasn't sold on the fact that Bevell, GB QB's coach, would make a good offensive coordinator & I'm still not, but everything is still going thru Childress before hiiting the field.

Is Childress calling in the plays that Bevell is suggesting or is he himself changing them?

That I do not know?

The other thing I scratch my head on is the amount of room both Winfield & Smoot were giving the receivers, especially on 3rd & long & in the Redzone. Yes they kept them from yards after the catch, but it also allowed the Bears to get a fresh set of downs.

The killer was how wide open the receiver was on the Bears winning TD.

Del Rio
09-25-2006, 07:10 AM
I think it is absolutely insane to say we lost the division after week three. We play the Bears again, we share common opponents. The Bears will lose some games, it is not the end of the world, and certainly not the end of the division race, that is damn near laughable.

cogitans
09-25-2006, 08:04 AM
"Del" wrote:

I think it is absolutely insane to say we lost the division after week three. We play the Bears again, we share common opponents. The Bears will lose some games, it is not the end of the world, and certainly not the end of the division race, that is gol 'darnit near laughable.

I agree with you that it is way to early to make those kind of predictions after 3 games and 1 loss.

Having said that I were the one who asked that very question in the podcast show, mostly to get you guys fired up. And you answerd as I would have done myself.

Still I think it is a big blow to lose a homegame against our biggest rival. It'll be tough to take that back on Soldier Field.

Zeus
09-25-2006, 08:49 AM
"Caine" wrote:

As I stated earlier, if we are going to win big games, we need our Offense to step up.
They didn't today, and we let the Bears walk out with OUR 3-0 record.

Too many times, the Vikings Offense stalled in the short end of the field.
Once on the 13, on the 18, and on the 23.
All three resulted in FGs.
Had just ONE of them been a TD, the game would have gone in another direction.

We saw this against the Panthers and again with the Bears, our Offense cannot seem to maintain drives, much less put the finishing touches on them.
And, until they do, Minnesota will not be a team to be feared.

The play-calling isn't helping matters any.
Too often I see us pass short or run on long yard situations.
3-8 and we pass for 4 or run for 5, etc.
We cannot continue doing that.
The WORST call of the game was the 4th and 2...when not run there?
There's over a minute left on the clock, we have the Bears "D" on their heels, and we throw a timing pass?!?!?!?
When this season has Brad and ANY of our receivers exhibited anything remotely looking like a connection where you would put your faith ina
TIMING route with the game on the line?
Did Childress think that NOW would be the time?

The play-calling is horrendous.
It almost seems like Childress is afraid of the end zone.
But I think the worst call was the preceeding play - the run on 3rd down.
This offense is supposed to be built on 5-yard slants - where were those?
So you get it to 4th and 2 - so what?
4th-down is do or die, and I never want to be in those situations to win the game.
Then to compound it by calling that STUPID STUPID STUPID play on 4th down (I agree with you - where the eff is Jermaine Wiggins in this offense???) is just mind-boggling.

On the fumble - Artis Hicks was slow to get up a couple plays prior to that - Jason Whittle was half-way on to the field when Hicks lumbered his way back into the pocket.
Hicks lasts one more play, Whittle comes in - next play, Bears D-Lineman blows past Whittle to force the fumble.
It's just AMAZING to me how often they don't run over the left side.

I'd rather get blown out than BLOW a game like they did yesterday.
This one is all on Childress's shoulders, IMHO.

=Z=

Zeus
09-25-2006, 08:54 AM
"Del" wrote:

Good game against a good team. Get over it, move on.

No.
I'm not going to get over it and move on.
Not the day after the game.
Not when the coaching staff PISSES away the game.
Childress is 100% responsible for that loss with his cautious play-calling and refusal to go for the end zone.
It is SHOCKING to me how tentative the offense looks during times when they need to go for the throat.

=Z=