PDA

View Full Version : We had the game and blew it...twice.

UndisputedVike
09-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Ok this game lived up to the nail biting expectations...we all saw the real Grossman, he makes bad decisions under pressure, most of what he did vs the Lions and Pack was a fluke. Fortunatly for him we found everyway to give them the game and they made the most of it.

The 2 and 8 to pass was suspect, the play call on 4th and 2 was the worst call i've ever seen, that's like using a 180LB WR at tailback in the goaline...you just don't do it. Whomever is calling the plays needs to hand over the reigns to someone else cause we just gave the Bears the game.

The Bears didn't deserve this win, they didn't beat us, we beat ourselves, again.

mnvikes61
09-24-2006, 04:35 PM
I hated the play calling on the last two series that the Vikings offense had. After Moore got the first down our play calling stank. We ran the ball on 1st got 2 yards and then threw the ball when we were trying to run down the clock. Then on 3rd and long we ran another draw play that ended up being the fumble that gave the bears the lead. The last possesion we had was equally as horrible in play calling. Williamson should have come down with that ball but he didn't. Then we call a inside handoff on 3rd and long. We get 6 yards and it comes down to a 4th and 2. On 4th down we try a fade route?!?

Also what has really been upsetting is all our penalities. What happened to the well disicplined team that we were putting out there during preseason?

PAvikesfan
09-24-2006, 04:39 PM
what do you mean again.?..this is the first time this season where we made some mistakes when the game was on the line...

we had the game all but wrapped ...then hutch and birk (our best oline members) let olendouyer? through to swat the handoff away from chester taylor.
our bext oline players only had to let up once and pooof...
there goes the game.

on the bears TD pass, whitaker had no back side help.
a definate blown coverage by both him and Dwight Smith.

tampaviking
09-24-2006, 04:39 PM
two mant offsides, helped da bears tremendously, and what happened to the blitzes. there was a whole series that had none. and it worked so well. as stated minnesota lost to minnesota

scottishvike
09-24-2006, 04:40 PM
"UndisputedVike" wrote:

Ok this game lived up to the nail biting expectations...we all saw the real Grossman, he makes bad decisions under pressure, most of what he did vs the Lions and Pack was a fluke. Fortunatly for him we found everyway to give them the game and they made the most of it.

The 2 and 8 to pass was suspect, the play call on 4th and 2 was the worst call i've ever seen, that's like using a 180LB WR at tailback in the goaline...you just don't do it. Whomever is calling the plays needs to hand over the reigns to someone else cause we just gave the Bears the game.

The Bears didn't deserve this win, they didn't beat us, we beat ourselves, again.

I'm not going to argue that both of those play calls weren't strange to say the least, but IMO it was the fumble that killed the game for us. If we hadn't lost the ball there we could have punted deep and then Grossman would have to go the length of the field, which all through the game he was incapable of doing. When they recovered the fumble they had excellent field position and the major switch in momentum just when they needed it most.

UndisputedVike
09-24-2006, 04:44 PM
"PAvikesfan" wrote:

what do you mean again.?..this is the first time this season where we made some mistakes when the game was on the line...

we had the game all but wrapped ...then hutch and birk (our best oline members) let olendouyer? through to swat the handoff away from chester taylor.
there goes the game.

I say again because we have been beating ourselves all year, we have just been fortunate that the other team did the same, the Bears converted and boom. I had said if we make those dumb mistakes like the previous games, we would lose to ourselves, this game proved it.

Redmption
What killed the game was the poor officiating. What was that call on Williamson for PI, or how about the several non calls on the Bears for holding. Late flags all game after the plays were over...
Childress did call some terrible series and the last play of the game was just dumb. Hopefully the Seakhawks beat them next week and the Vikes bounce back with a win

mnvikes61
"PAvikesfan" wrote:

there goes the game.

I think that we have been extremely luck to be 2-0. I would agree with anybody who has questioned some of Childress' calls. We've won so nobody that I've seen has brought up the fact that we have made some bonehead calls on offense. I figured we'd lose the Redskins game because of the some of the lame calls we played in the 4th.

I'd say we are a much improved team. We still have been extremely lucky though. If Gamble hadn't thrown that lateral we'd probaly be 1-2.

UndisputedVike
09-24-2006, 05:04 PM
"Redmption" wrote:

What killed the game was the poor officiating. What was that call on Williamson for PI, or how about the several non calls on the Bears for holding. Late flags all game after the plays were over...
Childress did call some terrible series and the last play of the game was just dumb. Hopefully the Seakhawks beat them next week and the Vikes bounce back with a win

Well with how good Seattle looks, I hope so, we need someone to step up and beat the Bears now.

EDIT: Why is this in Help!! section...

snowinapril
09-24-2006, 05:10 PM
I will say the same I did in the other WTF happened thread.

We played a good
game.

If the calls would have been executed, we would all be giving praise to the wonderful Childress and the awesome Johnson.

We saw a lot of good D out there on the Viking side of the ball, which is a huge positive.
The last drive was the only bad part of it.
We should have held them to the FG.

Lots of good stuff to hang our hat on for weeks to come.

vikinggreg
09-24-2006, 05:11 PM
"UndisputedVike" wrote:

"Redmption" wrote:

Well with how good Seattle looks, I hope so, we need someone to step up and beat the Bears now.

EDIT: Why is this in Help!! section...

My guess is because our offense needs help scoring a TD

Aside from our first drive in games the O can't get a major

The O line has some heavy money in it and I was expecting to see them grow faster, granted we have faced great D lines. But the offense needs to score not just special teams and defense.

Vikes_King
09-24-2006, 05:11 PM
good question, should be moved; but sersously, ik it shoudl have been our game.. but this goes to prove that we have something this year, this SHOULD HAVE been, our 3rd consecutive win against a 2005 playoff team

Einar
09-24-2006, 05:31 PM
Today's game, in a nutshell descibes my nearly 40 years of being a Vikings fan.
I'm not a negative person at all, but it seems as though the Vikings always find a way to disappoint me right when I feel things are going well.

If there are any Monty Python fans out there, I feel as though I'm trapped in the Deja Vu epsiode when it come to the Vikings.

SKOL VIKES!

sweetness34
09-24-2006, 05:41 PM
"UndisputedVike" wrote:

to be quite honest the vikes got 10 points off turnovers to the bears 7 points. I'd have to say the bears 'gave' more to the vikings.
As for the 4th down play i totally agree. I was shocked at that play call.

PurpleRide
09-24-2006, 06:08 PM
I have been disapointed this year on the readyness of johnson to settle for a field goal.
Today we lost because of it.
I do think he can try to force a pass from time to time to get seven instead of 3 every time.
The red zone give ups will kill this team every time they play a quality team.
And why the heck can he not throw the ball 3 yards to save a intent grounding.
I will place this loss on johnson, his bad decisions in the red zone, if he would have lobbed the ball an extra three yards, Jimmy K would have had a first down, instead he throws it out of bounds.
His terrible throw on fourth and two, and his attempted hand off at to chester taylor that ended up losing the game.
There is a reason he makes 1.2.
Bring on TJ please.

Prophet
09-24-2006, 06:28 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

I have been disapointed this year on the readyness of johnson to settle for a field goal.
Today we lost because of it.
I do think he can try to force a pass from time to time to get seven instead of 3 every time.
The red zone give ups will kill this team every time they play a quality team.
And why the heck can he not throw the ball 3 yards to save a intent grounding.
I will place this loss on johnson, his bad decisions in the red zone, if he would have lobbed the ball an extra three yards, Jimmy K would have had a first down, instead he throws it out of bounds.
His terrible throw on fourth and two, and his attempted hand off at to chester taylor that ended up losing the game.
There is a reason he makes 1.2.
Bring on TJ please.

TJ is out.
I'm glad an L finally came our way so you could unleash your bring on TJ post.
Painfully simplistic view.

CCthebest
09-24-2006, 06:32 PM
BJ is the only thing on the vikings offense thats actually knows how to play....look at what the OLINE gives him and all the dropped passes...and stupid play calling...none of it is his fault...he figured if grossman can intentionally ground the ball, why cant he?

vikeswin2005
09-24-2006, 06:34 PM
UMMMMMMMM HELLOOOOOOOOOOOO
A) TJ is out (just had surgery or having surgery)
B) Bollinger is #2 for a reason RIGHT NOW --even b4 the injury to TJ
C) TJ is NOWHERE ready IMO

-------I am truly glad we got an awakening maybe losing the game sucks but really..........................Wash, Car, and Chicago all playoff teams last year because of DEFENSE.............and guess what we are 2-1 and this was a reality check for everyone BJ IS THE MAN NOW like it or not he VERY seldomly makes mistakes..........phew..... Thank You I needed that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prophet
09-24-2006, 06:41 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

BJ is the only thing on the vikings offense thats actually knows how to play....look at what the OLINE gives him and all the dropped passes...and stupid play calling...none of it is his fault...he figured if grossman can intentionally ground the ball, why cant he?

WTP called it.
CCthebest will resurface with a vengeance after the first loss.
You hate BJ and you hate Childress.
Most of us know that.
This was a hard fought game and a turnover decided the game, not too surprising.

Deronn
09-24-2006, 06:42 PM
I don't think anyone is "settling for FG's." That just happens to be the only way the offense can score right now. Penalties, not BJ, are killing our drives. We move the ball when everyone does what they are supposed to do -only to bring it right back when someone does something dumb.

This would happen no matter who was at QB

Webby
09-24-2006, 06:46 PM
NBC crew was talking about the game....said we had it, but lost it.....and that Johnson is a good QB, perfect for our offense....

snowinapril
09-24-2006, 06:49 PM
"Webby" wrote:

NBC crew was talking about the game....said we had it, but lost it.....and that Johnson is a good QB, perfect for our offense....

Big difference from being the JOKE of the NFL last year.

It is respectable.

Biolink
09-24-2006, 06:50 PM
"Redmption" wrote:

I'm sorry,but I call bull.There were bad calls on both sides.Grossman should have ended up with at least 4 or 5 INT's and one of those INT's could have been returned,but guess what?They were all dropped.Vikings had their chance

vikinggreg
09-24-2006, 06:58 PM
"Webby" wrote:

We had a tough start to our schedule and are @ 2-1, we've done well and earned respect, we also know we can hang with the Bears and I look forward to the rematch.
As a team the Vikings still gelling and have much to look forward to.

cogitans
09-24-2006, 07:35 PM
"vikinggreg" wrote:

"Webby" wrote:

We had a tough start to our schedule and are @ 2-1, we've done well and earned respect, we also know we can hang with the Bears and I look forward to the rematch.
As a team the Vikings still gelling and have much to look forward to.

Your right on Vikinggreg.

I'll say this every week. If we can start out 3-3 in this schedule we could be in for a good year.

NordicNed
09-24-2006, 07:48 PM
I, like most of you, find it tough to swallow any lose.
But with that said, I'm proud of our team, they played tough and in many ways they won the game in my mind.

Our D line again looked very good and presured Rex almost the hole game.

Our recievers are catching the ball and not running out of bounds, when near the sidelines, but turning it back into the field and running hard for those extra yards.

When the Bears got in or close to the red zone, our D has stepped up and limited their O to field goals..

The one glaring thing that really stuck out to me is our kick off return game and kick off coverage.....Our speical teams play during those two parts of the game really could use some working on..

Overall, I'm happy and I'm a firm believer, we can and will make the playoffs this year...

We just need to fine tune some weeknesses and go on from here..

olson_10
09-24-2006, 07:58 PM
defense..again amazing effort, gave us 101 chances to win this game..offense again, miserable, this time losing us the game..game ball goes to brad childress for his atrocious play calling in crunch time..defence nobody should ever complain about..they gave up the TD at the end, but how long do you people expect the offense to allow the defense to be the crutch for the team?..its like having a busted leg, a crutch (the defense) allows you to still walk, but you cant be fully mobile without 2 healthy legs..this team wont go anywhere until this offense starts getting some better plays called in

CCthebest
09-24-2006, 08:12 PM
Prophet, I love BJ, wasnt being sarcastic....I do not like Chilress, your correct

Prophet
09-24-2006, 08:23 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

Prophet, I love BJ, wasnt being sarcastic....I do not like Chilress, your correct

Fine, I like working you over for your hatred posts that many probably don't remember.
No harm meant, feel free to rip on my posts as you see fit.
It's the PP.O form of peer review and it often works.

olson_10
09-24-2006, 08:24 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"Webby" wrote:

Big difference from being the JOKE of the NFL last year.

It is respectable.

yep..i like the offensive system too, especially with brad quarterbacking, but i just dont like which plays are being called out of it in the wrong situations by the coaching staff..its killing us..we won our first 2 games out of luck, and lost this one out of stupidity..the defense though, i still cant say enough about how good they are, and how many chances they give this offense to win games

olson_10
09-24-2006, 08:27 PM
some better playcalling would blow it open for us

DUMONUCHEEZHED
09-24-2006, 08:27 PM
"vikeswin2005" wrote:

UMMMMMMMM HELLOOOOOOOOOOOO
A) TJ is out (just had surgery or having surgery)
B) Bollinger is #2 for a reason RIGHT NOW --even b4 the injury to TJ
C) TJ is NOWHERE ready IMO

-------I am truly glad we got an awakening maybe losing the game sucks but really..........................Wash, Car, and Chicago all playoff teams last year because of DEFENSE.............and guess what we are 2-1 and this was a reality check for everyone BJ IS THE MAN NOW like it or not he VERY seldomly makes mistakes..........phew..... Thank You I needed that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I'm not mistaken Isn't Brad Johnson the lowest paid QB in the league, and does'nt he want to play in Minnesota?

Vikes
09-25-2006, 12:18 AM
Great Game.
Good hard fight by the Vikings. The 'D' stepped up.

modena11
09-25-2006, 12:44 AM
our offence is shooting itself in the foot. with stupid penalties, timely turnovers(t taylor and c taylor), add in some bad playcalling late in the game and we lose.

i'm by no means expecting the offence to put up huge numbers, its not gonna happen with brad johnson, but our defence now gives us chance after chance to win games, the offence should atleast put up a TD to win us the game.

modena11
09-25-2006, 12:46 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

I will say the same I did in the other WTF happened thread.

We played a good
game.

If the calls would have been executed, we would all be giving praise to the wonderful Childress and the awesome Johnson.

We saw a lot of good D out there on the Viking side of the ball, which is a huge positive.
The last drive was the only bad part of it.
We should have held them to the FG.

Lots of good stuff to hang our hat on for weeks to come.

exactly. only thing is, childress doesnt make the best call, and johnson throws to the wrong read.

vikingbill50
09-25-2006, 12:47 AM
we did play a great game today and had some mistakes like any other football team would have, but we will learn from it and continue to get better..maybe down the road they might try letting the play calling come from the booth,,doubt it tho

modena11
09-25-2006, 01:08 AM
definitely not. everything will go through childress. just like it goes through andy reid in philly.

singersp
09-25-2006, 07:19 AM
"VikingNed" wrote:

...........When the Bears got in or close to the red zone, our D has stepped up and limited their O to field goals..

The defense does do great in the redzone, but IMO, they need to step up & play to that level no matter where the opponent is on the field so that they keep them out of the redzone & force the opponent to punt instead of kicking for 3 points.

Zeus
09-25-2006, 09:14 AM
"Redmption" wrote:

I can't speak to what the TV replay may or may not have shown, but Troy Williamson absolutely committed Offensive Pass Interference on that play.
I saw it with my own two eyes.
He pushed off and it was the correct call 100% of the time.

=Z=

Zeus
09-25-2006, 09:17 AM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

Bring on TJ please.

Yes, please.
Bring on the rookie who has no clue how to play the pro game (and a hurt knee) because he'd do so much more reading the defenses than the 15-year veteran.

Are you frigging kidding me?
I'm just dumbfounded by how idiotic it is to call for the unproven (AND HURT) rookie from a DIVISION I-AA school.
Just amazing, really.

=Z=

Del Rio
09-25-2006, 09:23 AM
When someone asked about bringing TJ in to start over BJ on the show last night I was thinking it was fake, I should have known one of the usual suspects would be to blame for such a fucking retarded attempt at logic.

On a side note, watching the replay many times I do not think it was pass interference at all on Williamson. That being said the refs totally controlled the flow of the game and there were calls on both teams that probably could have been let go.

In the end the call made very little difference. We had the game, it was fumbled away. That is football. It happens.

Zeus
09-25-2006, 09:26 AM
"Del" wrote:

On a side note, watching the replay many times I do not think it was pass interference at all on Williamson. That being said the refs totally controlled the flow of the game and there were calls on both teams that probably could have been let go.

As I stated previously, I can't speak to what the replay showed.
But Williamson absolutely pushed off on that play.
It was the correct call.
I was watching him the whole way down the field.

=Z=

Del Rio
09-25-2006, 09:31 AM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

It was the correct call.

=Z=

Then we agree to disagree, I have it on Tivo I watched it 3 times. There was absolutely no extention, Moose Johnson agreed as well as the other analyst in the booth it was a bad call. I don't know what you saw so I can't argue. I only know what I saw was possitively NOT offensive pass interference. I also know it isn't worth arguing about because it was called pass interference and that is the end of it. We still had a great chance to win and the play itself was moot.

cogitans
09-25-2006, 09:31 AM
I couldn't see that off.pass.int. either.

But speeking of those penalties am I the only one who thought the game was a flag hell on both sides. They made so many penalties that the game suffered because it was impossible to build any kind of momentum.

mr.woo
09-25-2006, 09:37 AM
more than upset i am very opptimistic about this. it shows we can hang with the big guys and i can garuntee you the next time we meet it will be a much different outcome. the players and the coaches arent gonna forget this loss and they will be eager to avenge it

tastywaves
09-25-2006, 10:17 AM
Losing to Chicago at home sucks.
Its going to be a lot harder to go into soldier field and pull out a W.
However, I'm pleasantly surprised at how well MN is competing with very good teams this early in the new regime's tenure.
2-1 is a great start, we should have lost to Carolina and beat the Bears,
but hey, thats football.

I believe like many posters that are offense needs to be more productive to give us a chance to beat the better teams down the stretch.
Offense takes longer to put together and they have played against very solid defensive teams to this point, not exactly the best way to get a new system rolling.
Last year at this time we were out of the games by the 2nd quarter.
I've now at least getting 60 minutes of enjoybale Vikings football.

And yea, that 4th and 2 call was ridiculous.

davike
09-25-2006, 10:52 AM
"mr.woo" wrote:

more than upset i am very opptimistic about this. it shows we can hang with the big guys and i can garuntee you the next time we meet it will be a much different outcome. the players and the coaches arent gonna forget this loss and they will be eager to avenge it

i was actually more happy with that loss then any other losses i think. we should have still won it, i hated the 4 and 2 call at the end but i guess BC was just trying to suprise them, but its almost impossible to catch the bears D napping. and also we showed ppl that the bears offense isn't as good as everyone was saying with grossman. but we just went 2-1 against some decent playoff teams with a new system, coaching staff, and a bunch of new players, so im really happy. im glad though that we get a break and get to relax a little bit for a couple weeks. that was murder watching 3 games that close in a row. im ready for a couple good blow outs:) and when seattle beats the bears next week we will both be 3-1.

PurpleRide
09-25-2006, 11:01 AM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"PurpleRide" wrote:

Bring on TJ please.

Yes, please.
Bring on the rookie who has no clue how to play the pro game (and a hurt knee) because he'd do so much more reading the defenses than the 15-year veteran.

I'm just dumbfounded by how idiotic it is to call for the unproven (AND HURT) rookie from a DIVISION I-AA school.
Just amazing, really.

=Z=

No lets just settle on field goals all year once we hit the red zone.
There is a reason johnson came to mn as a back up.
I dont want a qb that shys away from making a play.
Why the hell do you need to call me an idiot for an opinion i make?
Real big man you are to disallow someones thoughts.
Maybe i am just like the rest of the world, I am against mn sports because i have a different view.
idiot, uh-huh-huh thanks for the comp mike tice

thevikingfan
09-25-2006, 11:03 AM
The forced fumble was just tank being football smart.In an interview after the game he said that on the play he say the guard (artis hicks) sitting "light" and he suspected a trap block or a pull so he just shot hte gap and made the fumble.Also we lost the game more than twice there were at least 3 drops that would have been interception one by dwight smith (right after his first one) another by EJ henderson and one by darren sharper (that would have gone for the touchdown)Overall though i am not that upset the only thing that i really disliked about the game is that bogus pass interference call on t-will and the amount of penalties we had.However we showed that we ca hang with the best of them and that should have been our win because we outplayed the bears an dhad the lead with 3 minutes left.Well i am looking forward to finally be the favorites against buffalo hopefully JP will be nice to us and trow a couple picks ;D

Mr. Purple
09-25-2006, 11:40 AM
"Del" wrote:

"AWZeus" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

It was the correct call.

=Z=

Then we agree to disagree, I have it on Tivo I watched it 3 times. There was absolutely no extention, Moose Johnson agreed as well as the other analyst in the booth it was a bad call. I don't know what you saw so I can't argue. I only know what I saw was possitively NOT offensive pass interference. I also know it isn't worth arguing about because it was called pass interference and that is the end of it. We still had a great chance to win and the play itself was moot.

Troy 100% sure, did not push off.I only had to see the replay once before I could clearly see no pass interference what so ever.

cc21
09-25-2006, 11:59 AM
We played a good game against a good team. We should have had the game in the bag though because we should have ended up with 5 interceptions yesterday and two that were taken to the house. Sharper dropped one that he probably could have taken all the way. There were also like 3 or 4 other drops. So even though our offense did not play that great, if we get those int's, we win the game.

davike
09-25-2006, 12:01 PM
what is up with all the people saying stuff about our offense. i know they have made some mistakes and i wish they could get in the endzone better but they have played some good defenses and made the most out of not having alot of "big" players. alot of ppl seem like they want the Tice offense back, the "flashy explosive offense" that culpepper and moss had, if you look at the past years when we had tice and culpepper, you will see that it was pretty unusual not to see culpepper not throw for 2 to 3 hundred yards, but if u look our run game for the most part was bad and we never broke past 9-7, which was only 1 full year under culpepper, he didn't have a good record as a QB. but if u look at BJohnson you will see he has never really put up the monster numbers but he consistently won games because he ran a quietly consistent offense. our run game is looking better, and considering we don't have a really stand out big starting reciever for him to go to, BJ has put up decent numbers, but BJ brings consistency and experience and great decision making to the offense. most major football people will tell you that BJ is one of the best onfield decision makers playing right now. Im only 16 years old so i haven't been around watching football as long as most of you, but i have figured out that the flashy offense doesn't win consistently. its the consistent offense with a good run attack and a good solid defense that wins the big time. and BJ brings that quietly consistent offense that has proven in the long term to be deadly. and about the ppl that think we should get TJ in there, he is a rookie and very few rookies have been successful as a starter, he should be a great QB, but he needs to learn and BJ and BC will be great teachers for him. wow, im glad i got that out :)

thanatoschristou
09-25-2006, 12:05 PM
"davike" wrote:

what is up with all the people saying stuff about our offense. i know they have made some mistakes and i wish they could get in the endzone better but they have played some good defenses and made the most out of not having alot of "big" players. alot of ppl seem like they want the Tice offense back, the "flashy explosive offense" that culpepper and moss had, if you look at the past years when we had tice and culpepper, you will see that it was pretty unusual not to see culpepper not throw for 2 to 3 hundred yards, but if u look our run game for the most part was bad and we never broke past 9-7, which was only 1 full year under culpepper, he didn't have a good record as a QB. but if u look at BJohnson you will see he has never really put up the monster numbers but he consistently won games because he ran a quietly consistent offense. our run game is looking better, and considering we don't have a really stand out big starting reciever for him to go to, BJ has put up decent numbers, but BJ brings consistency and experience and great decision making to the offense. most major football people will tell you that BJ is one of the best onfield decision makers playing right now. Im only 16 years old so i haven't been around watching football as long as most of you, but i have figured out that the flashy offense doesn't win consistently. its the consistent offense with a good run attack and a good solid defense that wins the big time. and BJ brings that quietly consistent offense that has proven in the long term to be deadly. and about the ppl that think we should get TJ in there, he is a rookie and very few rookies have been successful as a starter, he should be a great QB, but he needs to learn and BJ and BC will be great teachers for him. wow, im glad i got that out :)

I do not think anybody want's the Tice offense back, they just want the offense not the kickerr scoring TDs.

Del Rio
09-25-2006, 12:09 PM
"davike" wrote:

People over react. That is all year after year on these forums and that is the one constant. People take things to extreems. Your 16 years old and you have a better head on your shoulders then a lot of people who should know better then to fly off the handle.

Next two games are going to be crucial to our success on offense for the season. A good chance to build momentum.

HornedHat
09-25-2006, 12:39 PM
The team has played pretty well. Yeah, we lost and probably should have won; but then again, last week we won, and probably should have lost. I am concerned about this offense. Koren Robinson has as many TD passes as any of our recievers. Here's to a breakout Offense next week.

BBQ Platypus
09-25-2006, 12:50 PM
I think that the "offensive pass interference" (so called because it's offensive that it was called pass interference) called on TWill is kind of overlooked.
That would have at least led to a field goal.
(Why isn't it possible to challenge a pass interference call?)

Regardless, we blew it.
And speaking of which, Chester Taylor blows.
He got one big run - otherwise, all he did was leave us with third and long situations.
I think it's pretty obvious that Mewelde Moore needs more carries.

happy camper
09-25-2006, 01:04 PM
Chester Taylor does not blow IMO.

To me, I see him getting yards when there are hardly any yards to get. I constantly think to myself "Geez, that coulda been a 2 yard loss but chester turned it into a 1 yard gain"

Everyone's gonna look for huge fantasy stats, and that will probably come later.

But I do think Mewelde should get in the offense more too.

Del Rio
09-25-2006, 01:07 PM
"happy" wrote:

Chester Taylor does not blow IMO.

To me, I see him getting yards when there are hardly any yards to get. I constantly think to myself "Geez, that coulda been a 2 yard loss but chester turned it into a 1 yard gain"

Everyone's gonna look for huge fantasy stats, and that will probably come later.

But I do think Mewelde should get in the offense more too.

No doubt,

Especially in the second half.

1-10 he runs 7 yards sets up 2nd-3
1-10 he runs 7 yards sets up 2nd-3
1-10 he runs 24 yards sets up 1-10

His first run from scrimmage,
1-10 runs 8 yards to set up 2nd-2
1-10 runs 13 yards to set up 1-10

He also had a few 4 yard runs.

He did fine imo considering the opponent.

Billy Boy
09-25-2006, 01:09 PM
Copy and paste what happy camper said.
Memo made up for his miserable week against those commie injuns but it would be good to see him get more involved if atleast to take some of the load of Taylor.
Memo has always been a player I cant figure out.

Mr Anderson
09-25-2006, 01:11 PM
"BBQ" wrote:

I think that the "offensive pass interference" (so called because it's offensive that it was called pass interference) called on TWill is kind of overlooked.

Regardless, we blew it.
And speaking of which, Chester Taylor blows.
He got one big run - otherwise, all he did was leave us with third and long situations.
I think it's pretty obvious that Mewelde Moore needs more carries.

Was that meant for the "BBQ ate too many pixie sticks" thread?

Remember who we were playing against yesterday BBQ, the Bears defense is supposedly the best in the league, he had over 3ypc, but only 20 carries, if he had gotten 30 again like in past weeks, he would have had another 100 yard game, and no one would say anything bad about him. Kevin Jones only rushed for 40 yards against them. Ahman Green had 110 yards, but half of them came in the second half when the Bears were already up by quite a bit. The past 3 weeks we've played very good defenses, and Taylor has played well, not great, but good for the Ds we've had to face.
Buffalo's rush defense is pretty solid as well, but I think he'll have a huge game next week.

Zeus
09-25-2006, 01:22 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

"AWZeus" wrote:

"PurpleRide" wrote:

Bring on TJ please.

Yes, please.

Just amazing, really.

=Z=

Maybe i am just like the rest of the world, I am against mn sports because i have a different view.

What possible evidence do you have that Tarvaris Jackson would be able to put the ball into the end zone?
Really.
Let's hear it.

=Z=

Zeus
09-25-2006, 01:23 PM
"BBQ" wrote:

Penalities are not reviewable.

=Z=

ejmat
09-25-2006, 01:58 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"BBQ" wrote:

Penalities are not reviewable.

=Z=

That was a horrible call and most likely could have sealed the game.
It isn't reviewable like AW says.

The Vikings had their chances on many occasions to win.
2 dropped INTs and fumbling late in the game.
However, you really can't blame BJ or CT for that fumble.
That was more of a lineman break down and a great play by the Bears' DLine.

As far as PurpleRide trying to blame BJ for the loss; Are you kidding me?
It's not always his fault we aren't getting in the endzone.
The guy is moving us down the field.
It is penalties and offensive line breakdowns that continue to kill us.
Blaming BJ is rediculous.
Wanting a rookie that just had surgery in to replace BJ is even more rediculous.
Please learn the entire picture of the game prior to making statements like this.
I'm not going to insult you becasue you are entitled to your opinions.
However, be real!!!!!!

singersp
09-25-2006, 07:07 PM
Instead of going thru 7 pages of posts, did anyone question why when the Bear player was receiving the kick-off, that hand gesture of his was not considered a fair catch signal?

No flag was thrown, no penalty & the Bears got to keep the ball were it ended after the run. One of our players backed off tackling him when he saw him signaling.

I recall last year when one of our own players made an even less of a hand gesture & was flagged after taking off with the ball.

Vikes_King
09-25-2006, 07:10 PM
i didnt even notice that during the game >_< i have it recorded, guess i'll have to check it out again

singersp
09-25-2006, 07:19 PM
"Vikes_King" wrote:

i didnt even notice that during the game >_< i have it recorded, guess i'll have to check it out again

I believe it was the kick after our last field goal or TD.

FedjeViking
09-25-2006, 07:34 PM
My Bears fan friends are all concerned about Brad...said something about him having an 80 percent completion record? They are worried about the next meeting in Chicago! I loved every minute of today!

Zeus
09-25-2006, 10:56 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Instead of going thru 7 pages of posts, did anyone question why when the Bear player was receiving the kick-off, that hand gesture of his was not considered a fair catch signal?

No flag was thrown, no penalty & the Bears got to keep the ball were it ended after the run. One of our players backed off tackling him when he saw him signaling.

I recall last year when one of our own players made an even less of a hand gesture & was flagged after taking off with the ball.

No, that hasn't been brought up - but that's a great call, Singer.
It was after Kluwe's final punt, tho, and he CLEARLY waved for a fair catch and then ran with the ball.
Shoulda been a flag.

=Z=

marantzo
09-26-2006, 10:16 AM
I'm visiting 'beautiful' Fargo right now and haven't had time to read all the posts so what I write has probably been mentioned already. The loss of course was a gutwrenching one and leaves a number of questions. Birk took the blame for that fumble and good for him. I couldn't figure out what happened while watching it. The thing that puzzled me most was the play calling oin the final drive (?). What was the thinking on that last pass? Not a high precentage play and if it doesn't work it's over and it was. Going into that 4th and 2 I was sure that they'd throw a short pass just to make the 1st and if well done maybe have a breakaway run after the catch to set up a scenario for a field goal. Or possibly a run on the multi-million dollar side of our line. When I watched that play taking place I was shocked. We also had a timeout left, didn't we? I can see a play like that being called, in that situation at some other time in the game, but in the situation they were in it made no sense at all.

Well the good thing about the game was that we can certainly match up with the Bears and our D played their asses off and I think looked better than theirs and that's saying something. Some bad penalty calls and some drops etc. didn't help, but let's face it we looked like we had control in our hands and blew it. .

ejmat
09-26-2006, 12:15 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

No, that hasn't been brought up - but that's a great call, Singer.
It was after Kluwe's final punt, tho, and he CLEARLY waved for a fair catch and then ran with the ball.
Shoulda been a flag.

=Z=

I missed that and I'm usually good about crying and complaining after the refs miss penalties.
I want to know what it is that refs have against the Vikings as a team.
Every year, week after week we get screwed with bad calls or non-calls.
However in this game, I have to say it wasn't so much the calls (although there were a few bad ones) but our team lost it themselves.
Even with the calls (or lack there of) we had 2 dropped INTs (one a sure TD) and a line breakdown that caused a fumble with 2 minutes left in the game.
We also ran twice on 3rd and long.
Of course the long pass to TWill that ended the game could be questioned although I for one, liked that call considering the Bears showed man coverage and they thought TWill could beat his man.

PurpleRide
09-26-2006, 01:28 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"PurpleRide" wrote:

"AWZeus" wrote:

"PurpleRide" wrote:

Bring on TJ please.

Yes, please.

Just amazing, really.

=Z=

What possible evidence do you have that Tarvaris Jackson would be able to put the ball into the end zone?
Really.
Let's hear it.

=Z=

Our QB has 1 td pass, our O has not scored a TD in 10 quarters.
Someone brought up a good point to me, if DC was running this O and the results were all the same, same stats, same turnovers, same everything by both QB's, the bench DC rant would be flying.
But with johnson people talk about good choices.
Good choices sometimes takes risk for 7 instead of 3.
We lost because we never even attempted to throw the ball in the end zone.
Not once in four quarters of football.
The funny thing about this, the D has made it where the vikings could/should be 3-0, the O has made it to where the vikings could/should be 1-2.
Johnson is not capible of running this offence to where we score points.
I do not like watching 30 yard field goals, we will not win many games if all we do is settle for 3.
The QB needs to take a shot not just dump it off to make sure he completes a certan percentage of his passes.
You need to take a risk at QB to score points, he is not. He freezes up when we get in the red zone.
Dont give me thats what the play is because he can change the play.
My concerns of johnson before the season started are coming true, he is average.
I hope TJ is coming along faster than anticipated, with johnson this O will not accomplish much.
Points matter more than completion percentages.
7 points in 3 games is terrible

ejmat
09-26-2006, 01:46 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

"AWZeus" wrote:

"PurpleRide" wrote:

"AWZeus" wrote:

"PurpleRide" wrote:

Bring on TJ please.

Yes, please.

Just amazing, really.

=Z=

Really.
Let's hear it.

=Z=

Our QB has 1 td pass, our O has not scored a TD in 10 quarters.
Someone brought up a good point to me, if DC was running this O and the results were all the same, same stats, same turnovers, same everything by both QB's, the bench DC rant would be flying.
But with johnson people talk about good choices.
Good choices sometimes takes risk for 7 instead of 3.
We lost because we never even attempted to throw the ball in the end zone.
Not once in four quarters of football.
The funny thing about this, the D has made it where the vikings could/should be 3-0, the O has made it to where the vikings could/should be 1-2.
Johnson is not capible of running this offence to where we score points.
I do not like watching 30 yard field goals, we will not win many games if all we do is settle for 3.
The QB needs to take a shot not just dump it off to make sure he completes a certan percentage of his passes.
You need to take a risk at QB to score points, he is not. He freezes up when we get in the red zone.
Dont give me thats what the play is because he can change the play.
My concerns of johnson before the season started are coming true, he is average.
I hope TJ is coming along faster than anticipated, with johnson this O will not accomplish much.
Points matter more than completion percentages.
7 points in 3 games is terrible

Purple Ride, I'm starting to see you really don't know how the game of football is managed.
No offense intended!
I will agree with you that they could be taking more risks and throwing the ball in the endzone.
That's a very valid point.
However, Childress is calling the plays.
Yes, BJ can check off and call an audible but he is to do that only when he sees something in the defense that is presented to him.
Do you know 100% that Childress even allows audibles in the redzone?
Let me know.
If you do maybe you ought to talk to Childress himself.

BJ is a good QB whether you like it or not.
I am also angry that we are only scoring FGs instead of TDs.
But you don't know enough about the situation to tell others how bad BJ is.
He's been a winner wherever he has played and is one of the most under-rated QBs in the game.
Why don't you talk about how he drove the team down field in the first 2 games when the game was on the line?
The fact is we have played 3 of the best defenses in the league.
Buffalo's defense is no pushover either and we have them next week.
You can say the same about all the opposing QBs we've played.
QBs such as Brunell and Delhome.
It wasn't like they scored a bunch of TDs either.
Nor did Grossman (who had a 128 QB rating before this game) for that matter.

Del Rio
09-26-2006, 02:08 PM
I'll call bullshit on the assumption that people would be calling for Daunte to be benched. If he had the exact same stats as Brad does now no one would be calling for his head.

The problem is he doesn't have those stats, nor did he when he was struggling his stats were more along the lines of 2int's and 2 fumbles per game. If Brad was fumbling and throwing the ball away hand over fist he would be yelled at by fans.

He isn't handing the game over for us though. Daunte was. That is the difference and that is why it is utter bullshit. If Daunte was NOT turning the ball over and had the stats Brad has he would be fine, very few would be calling him out.

Pick a different angle.

Prophet
09-26-2006, 02:11 PM
"Del" wrote:

I'll call kaka del toro on the assumption that people would be calling for Daunte to be benched. If he had the exact same stats as Brad does now no one would be calling for his head.

The problem is he doesn't have those stats, nor did he when he was struggling his stats were more along the lines of 2int's and 2 fumbles per game. If Brad was fumbling and throwing the ball away hand over fist he would be yelled at by fans.

He isn't handing the game over for us though. Daunte was. That is the difference and that is why it is utter kaka del toro. If Daunte was NOT turning the ball over and had the stats Brad has he would be fine, very few would be calling him out.

Pick a different angle.

I thought this was already settled.
Some Daunte crotch sniffers assume that if you don't think Daunte was a hero you automatically assume BJ is a hero.
I'm of the heroless brand of fans.
Screw them all unless they prove otherwise.

ejmat
09-26-2006, 02:30 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

I'll call kaka del toro on the assumption that people would be calling for Daunte to be benched. If he had the exact same stats as Brad does now no one would be calling for his head.

He isn't handing the game over for us though. Daunte was. That is the difference and that is why it is utter kaka del toro. If Daunte was NOT turning the ball over and had the stats Brad has he would be fine, very few would be calling him out.

Pick a different angle.

I thought this was already settled.
Some Daunte crotch sniffers assume that if you don't think Daunte was a hero you automatically assume BJ is a hero.
I'm of the heroless brand of fans.
Screw them all unless they prove otherwise.

I think we all thought it was settled but some people still ride the Daunte train and saying Daunte gets no respect while we are giving Brad more than he deserves.
The bottom line is BJ gets less respect than he deserves.
Del Rio is correct.
Daunte did have the habit of giving the game away.
BJ doesn't have that habit.
He may throw a bad pass or two but the job gets done.

thevikingfan
09-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Brad is doing just fine!Its the penealties and the 3 top ten defenses we have played against.Brad is doing what he has always done,protect the ball.All the promising drives were ended by turnovers and penalties!There was the call on t-will when he hauled in that 40 yarder that was called back and then there was travis taylor catching a 20 something yards pass into bears territory and fumbling it away.And then there is that fumble that gave the game away which was the guards fault.Give brad a break he has yet to play a weak defense

VikLloyd
09-26-2006, 03:16 PM
ok seriously this conversation is ridiculous you cannot compare daunte and brad because they are obviously completely different and to say brad doesnt take risks now if he takes that risk throws to an UNOPEN reciever in the endzone then you complain more and say ohh hes terrible bad decisions get him outta there so it makes no sense you know im a fan on Minnesota and im from Pittsburgh home of the superbowl champs and lemme tell you how bad people are bad mouthing roethlisberger right now just as they did with maddox and kordell back in the day you cannot let one loss persuade you into wanting change, our defense is playing great and mark my words our offense will explode its just takin a lil longer than expected.

cajunvike
09-26-2006, 03:21 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

"AWZeus" wrote:

"PurpleRide" wrote:

Bring on TJ please.

Yes, please.

Just amazing, really.

=Z=

Yeah...and that reason is that the rest of the league doesn't value a QB that isn't flashy...but that can lead good teams to wins and even to winning Super Bowls (Trent Dilfer and even Roethlisberger, come to mind).
Teams forget about how steadiness wins championships...heck, Baltimore won a Super Bowl with Dilfer and they immediately dropped him for an unproven Redman...three or four QBs later, they are still trying to dig out of the hole that stupid move put them in (and look at who they brought in to save their offense, a cagey vet, Steve McNair).

Don't dis Brad...he will always have us in a position to win...yes, he won't win games by himself...but he won't LOSE them by himself (like Pep did) either!!!

ultravikingfan
09-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Hey, lets just crab a handful of warm monkey dung...throw it against the wall and hope it sticks.

Or, some can just stand up....bend over...place your hands behind your buttocks...and proceed to remove your cranium from your rectum.
It's that fricken easy.