PDA

View Full Version : BJ - How fair is it

RC_Freak
09-22-2006, 09:55 AM
I'm sure it's been discussed on here, but i'm an FNG. How fair is it that our starting QB is getting paid less then a lot of teams backups???? Someone that has won a super bowl, doesn't make mistakes and lose games, should be paid a starter wage and not a backup wage

ultravikingfan
09-22-2006, 10:02 AM
"RC_Freak" wrote:

I'm sure it's been discussed on here, but i'm an FNG. How fair is it that our starting QB is getting paid less then a lot of teams backups???? Someone that has won a super bowl, doesn't make mistakes and lose games, should be paid a starter wage and not a backup wage

When he agreed to this wage he was a back up.

Does not make much sense into pumping millions into a 38 year old QB does it?

What does winning a SB have to do with how much we should pay him?

And yes, has been discussed many times.

Prophet
09-22-2006, 10:03 AM
Rule # 4,359:

Life is not fair.

RC_Freak
09-22-2006, 10:06 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"RC_Freak" wrote:

I know we signed him as a backup, but shouldn't he atleast have gotten a bump in pay for being a starter?
I throw in the SB and the other things, cause i think he get overlooked and undervalued, everywhere he's gone i think he's been underpaid for what he can bring to the table, he wins, not flashy doesn't put out eye popping numbers, but he gets the job done and wins, and that's the important thing

Prophet
09-22-2006, 10:11 AM
There is a split on the site regarding people thinking he should make more coin and people thinking he should stick to the original contract.
The last time this was discussed in detail was before the regular season.

I'm in the camp of give him a salary boost and I stated in an earlier thread that he will get a salary boost.
Watch and learn.
The crow is being prepared for me, but I'm not willing to say I'm wrong yet.
My guess is that after a 2-0 start there may be a few more members that agree he should get a bump in his salary.

marantzo
09-22-2006, 10:29 AM
Considering what he is getting paid, it's hard for me to imagine that any Viking fan would think that he is getting paid enough. And the fact that Brad hasn't made an issue of it is just another example of what a class act he is. He deserves a big increase. His leadership on the field alone is worth more money than he is getting. The schooling he is giving the young players who rely on him is a big building block for the future of the Vikings and also warrants more money. The example and tutoring of our rookie QB is also a reason for more pay. So aside from how he plays (which so far leaves very little to complain about) he is actually a big part of building a team for future years.

No way he doesn't derserve more money. I'll be shocked if he doesn't get it.

ultravikingfan
09-22-2006, 10:31 AM
"RC_Freak" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"RC_Freak" wrote:

I know we signed him as a backup, but shouldn't he atleast have gotten a bump in pay for being a starter?
I throw in the SB and the other things, cause i think he get overlooked and undervalued, everywhere he's gone i think he's been underpaid for what he can bring to the table, he wins, not flashy doesn't put out eye popping numbers, but he gets the job done and wins, and that's the important thing

We need to see what happens this year.
Would not have been a good thing to jack him up before the season started.

BloodyHorns82
09-22-2006, 10:42 AM
I think he desrves a raise.
I'm not saying we need to throw 15 mil at him for the next to seasons or anything, but he certainly deserves to be paid at least what an average starting quarterback would make.
If nothing else, lets at least give him starters pay.

Prophet
09-22-2006, 10:44 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

...We need to see what happens this year.
Would not have been a good thing to jack him up before the season started.

It's not like there's as much of a risk factor as there was signing all the rooks and unprovens.
BJ has a track record and was moved into the starting position.
It does say a lot about his character, he plays the game and plays it well even though he's getting paid the relative equivalent of a half-eaten snickers bar and a Schmidt beer for every game.

oakmage
09-22-2006, 10:47 AM
Okay then I have a question for all of you and that is how much?
How much more should he be paid.
I keeping to myself for right now wither or not he should or should not be paid more money but I just want to know how much more money you think he should be getting.
Also isn’t he already getting over a Million Dollars a year to play?
I know maybe to some of you that is not a lot of money but to me that is a lot.
BTW a hint on the my stance if you think by reading this post you know where I stand on the subject then you are wrong it is opposite then the way the post is written

ultravikingfan
09-22-2006, 10:50 AM
"oakmage" wrote:

I keeping to myself for right now wither or not he should or should not be paid more money but I just want to know how much more money you think he should be getting.
BTW a hint on the my stance if you think by reading this post you know where I stand on the subject then you are wrong it is opposite then the way the post is written

$5

marantzo
09-22-2006, 10:52 AM

Are you a starting NFL Quarterback?

RC_Freak
09-22-2006, 10:53 AM
"oakmage" wrote:

He's making what just over a Mil if i remember right? And i'm having no luck searching for a Salery list of the Nfl starting QB's, but i'd say he should atleast be getting 4mil with incentives and bonuses for preformance, wins and ect...

marantzo
09-22-2006, 10:54 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"oakmage" wrote:

$5

That's the number I was going to suggest also.

marcosMN
09-22-2006, 10:55 AM
A side note:

A few years from now, we may all realize that the most valuable thing BJ did for us was offer his tutelage to TJax.

I can't think of many other QBs I would want teaching him NFL football.

Prophet
09-22-2006, 10:56 AM
"RC_Freak" wrote:

"oakmage" wrote:

He's making what just over a Mil if i remember right? And i'm having no luck searching for a Salery list of the Nfl starting QB's, but i'd say he should atleast be getting 4mil with incentives and bonuses for preformance, wins and ect...

You can look up salaries here:

http://www.nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx

cc21
09-22-2006, 10:58 AM
I would be happy making the league minimum. Unless he starts demanding more money or something this year then just pay him what he agreed to get when we signed him. Im sure he can feed his family and then some with what he is making now.

Zeus
09-22-2006, 10:59 AM
"RC_Freak" wrote:

You sign a contract, you play to the contract.
That's the way it should be.
If I do a really good job on a particular project, I don't get to bitch and whine and not come to work because I'm not paid enough money.
If I do those things, I'm not going to get a raise, I'm going to get canned.

Yes, it's a different job, of course, but the principle is the same.

=Z=

marantzo
09-22-2006, 11:00 AM
"SnoBumMN" wrote:

A side note:

A few years from now, we may all realize that the most valuable thing BJ did for us was offer his tutelage to TJax.

I can't think of many other QBs I would want teaching him NFL football.

I made mention of that. I agree. He's also a great tutor for Williamson. He's patient with him and keeps throwing to him even if he misses some. That has to be a confidence builder for a young player.

Zeus
09-22-2006, 11:01 AM
"marantzo" wrote:

Are you playing a frigging game for a living?

=Z=

RC_Freak
09-22-2006, 11:01 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

"RC_Freak" wrote:

"oakmage" wrote:

Thanx for that site, Tom Brady is only making 4mil, that doesn't seem right

Prophet
09-22-2006, 11:07 AM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"marantzo" wrote:

=Z=

;D, somtimes I think I am.
It appears that life is a game.

Zeus
09-22-2006, 11:08 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

"AWZeus" wrote:

"marantzo" wrote:

=Z=

;D, somtimes I think I am.
It appears that life is a game.

If life is a game, then I think I'm ahead by a field goal, heading into the end of the first half.

TAKE A KNEE, DAMMIT!

=Z=

marantzo
09-22-2006, 11:08 AM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"marantzo" wrote:

=Z=

Are you working at a job where you can get knocked out for your career at any time and the term of employment averages between 4 and 5 years. And there are only about 1600 people in the world that are capable of doing said job?

Prophet
09-22-2006, 11:09 AM
"marantzo" wrote:

"AWZeus" wrote:

"marantzo" wrote:

=Z=

Are you working at a job where you can get knocked out for your career at any time and the term of employment averages between 4 and 5 years. And there are only about 1600 people in the world that are capable of doing said job?

Truthfully, yes.
Even less than 1600 actually.
So pay the man.

oakmage
09-22-2006, 11:13 AM
"marantzo" wrote:

AND?

Don't take this wrong but id does not matter what you do for a living as to wither or not a million dollars is or is not a lot of money

Zeus
09-22-2006, 11:22 AM
"marantzo" wrote:

"AWZeus" wrote:

"marantzo" wrote:

I'd say there are a lot less than 1600 people on the planet who could be a starting NFL QB.
And I'd still say, so what?
It's still a game.
A game which I love to watch, which gives me great pleasure and pain, but a game, nonetheless.

Ask a teacher who is responsible for the well-being and education of the FUTURE of our nation if we should feel bad that Brad Johnson is making ONLY a million dollars this year.

Get
A
Grip.

=Z=

oakmage
09-22-2006, 11:25 AM
"marantzo" wrote:

"AWZeus" wrote:

"marantzo" wrote:

=Z=

Cool so using you own logic then cops, firefighter, and solders all should get paid over a million dollars a year, because they can get knocked out their career at any time also.
I would also say that the stress that they face is also far greater then any football player faces.
One more thing yes the average lifetime of a football player is 4 to 5 years and with Brad's career being over 10 years I think that it pretty much voids that argument.

Prophet
09-22-2006, 11:28 AM
"RC_Freak" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

"RC_Freak" wrote:

"oakmage" wrote:

Thanx for that site, Tom Brady is only making 4mil, that doesn't seem right

This site appears to give a little better breakdown of NFL salaries:

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/default.aspx?Loc=Vanity

jackyl
09-22-2006, 11:28 AM
Brad is grossly underpaid... I'm disappointed that the Vikings didn't step up. It's hurt the QB depth as a whole here.

Then again my views of player pay is slightly different than most people on the board.
lol

Vikes_King
09-22-2006, 12:40 PM
the only adjustment i'd say brad's contract should get is maybe some incentives, he signed the contract and we all know he's not complaining about ONLY making 1.2 mil this year.

Freya
09-22-2006, 12:56 PM
If the contract he signed designated him as a back up quarterback, then imo that contract was negated when that designation was changed. This isn't a case of the starting QB getting injured and the back up finishing the season such as last year. This is a clear reassignment.
For that reason alone I think he deserves a pay raise and a new contract.

Zeus
09-22-2006, 12:58 PM
"Freya" wrote:

If the contract he signed designated him as a back up quarterback, then imo that contract was negated when that designation was changed. This isn't a case of the starting QB getting injured and the back up finishing the season such as last year. This is a clear reassignment.
For that reason alone I think he deserves a pay raise and a new contract.

NFL contracts do not dictate a position of any kind, let alone that you are a backup.

=Z=

stjmnsota
09-23-2006, 01:55 PM
Just the fact alone that BJ is a starter (upgraded from backup when he signed) says he should get paid as a starter.
I don't see any chance that a Vikes backup will take over as starter this year, unless he gets injured, so he is the starter.

Also the fact that he is a great starter, great leader and a classy guy says he should get a raise.

vikes09
09-23-2006, 05:21 PM
"oakmage" wrote:

how much of a raise should brad get? hmm....

give him a $15 gift certificate to Starbucks or something and call it good. he's in the NFL, loves the game, and gets a chance to play, with his age on the wrong side of 30 and START. what more could he ask for? its not like he hasnt earned his fair share of money during his 16 (or something like that) seasons.

jackyl
09-23-2006, 05:33 PM
Brad deserves at least 4 million in guarantees over the next 2 years. Period.